PDA

View Full Version : Broncos restructure Stokley's contract

montrose
03-04-2009, 06:13 AM
Reworked deal relief to Stokley
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

Even before they acquired Jabar Gaffney and signed David Anderson to an offer sheet, and before they knew Brandon Marshall would get into trouble, the Broncos decided to bring back veteran slot receiver Brandon Stokley.

Stokley's return was ensured Feb. 27, in the hours before the opening of NFL free agency, when the Broncos and Stokley agreed to roll his $500,000 unguaranteed roster bonus into his 2009 salary. Then they agreed to guarantee $560,000 of his $1.41 million salary for this season. So Stokley is back, despite the crowd at receiver.

"When you bring a new coach in, you just never know," Stokley said. "I wasn't sure until I signed that new contract that I was going to be here for another year."

Most teams carry four or five receivers on their game-day, 45-man roster. The Broncos have four in Marshall, Eddie Royal, Gaffney and Stokley. Anderson would make it five if Houston doesn't match the three-year, $4.5 million offer he signed with the Broncos as a restricted free agent.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_11830461

GreatBronco16
03-04-2009, 06:18 AM
Wow, that is pretty damn cheap for what he brings to the game.

UberBroncoMan
03-04-2009, 06:23 AM
Yeah, I think he was costing us A LOT more than that... also I'm curious why they didn't mention Chad Jackson who is still on our roster and under contract through this season.

Stokely Made $6,060,000 of his $10.1 million contract last year so this is nice to see.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/denver-broncos/salary

dbfan21
03-04-2009, 06:24 AM
I like the move. Stokes is still a productive WR and will add quality depth to the offense.

cousinal11
03-04-2009, 06:28 AM
Glad we decided to keep him around for another year.

supermanhr9
03-04-2009, 06:56 AM
I am shocked that's all we're payign him. That guy has single handedly kept us in games. I would rather see us pay him what Boss gets paid.

DeuceOfClub
03-04-2009, 07:10 AM
Just another insult thrown at Cutler's face.

cmhargrove
03-04-2009, 07:40 AM
Just another insult thrown at Cutler's face.

What does that even mean? A player gets a restructured contract and that is an insult? Seriously.

eddie mac
03-04-2009, 07:41 AM
This doesn't change Stokley's cap number at all, totally irrelevant piece of accounting. Here's a thought Xanders. Why not just guarantee the roster bonus.

BroncoInferno
03-04-2009, 07:47 AM
This doesn't change Stokley's cap number at all, totally irrelevant piece of accounting. Here's a thought Xanders. Why not just guarantee the roster bonus.

It sounds to me the purpose of the restructuring was so they wouldn't have to hand him the $500,000 bonus, not to adjust the cap number. We think of $500,000 as a pittance in NFL terms, but it's still a lot of scratch to give someone at one time.

MagicHef
03-04-2009, 08:53 AM
What does that even mean? A player gets a restructured contract and that is an insult? Seriously.

Cutler and Stokley are mortal enemies. Whenever it seems like Cutler is throwing to him, he's actually throwing at him.

frerottenextelway
03-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Cutler and Stokley are mortal enemies. Whenever it seems like Cutler is throwing to him, he's actually throwing at him.

That is why he throws so damn hard.

Gcver2ver3
03-04-2009, 09:03 AM
we need another big WR...

UberBroncoMan
03-04-2009, 09:13 AM
we need another big WR...

Fatass Mike Williams is a Free Agent :D!

... wouldn't it be nice if the kid grew a work ethic, love for the game and turned into the production he had at USC if we did sign him.

Irish Stout
03-04-2009, 10:55 AM
So I wonder if this has any effect on the offer for David Anderson.... they are similarly built guys.

LonghornBronco
03-04-2009, 11:08 AM
So who do you thing is in the opening day lineup sans Marshall?

eddie mac
03-04-2009, 11:34 AM
It sounds to me the purpose of the restructuring was so they wouldn't have to hand him the $500,000 bonus, not to adjust the cap number. We think of $500,000 as a pittance in NFL terms, but it's still a lot of scratch to give someone at one time.

As far as I read that piece of accounting BI they basically rolled his $500k roster bonus onto his base salary so he still gets $1.91m cash this season, same cap number, same money, what's the point of that???

Beantown Bronco
03-04-2009, 11:51 AM
As far as I read that piece of accounting BI they basically rolled his $500k roster bonus onto his base salary so he still gets $1.91m cash this season, same cap number, same money, what's the point of that???

Like Inferno said.....better for Bowlen perhaps to spread out that $500K over the next 12 months worth of payroll checks instead of paying it out in one check this week.

baja
03-04-2009, 11:55 AM

It must affect the cap is some way why else do it, there has got to be an angle here Eddie.

baja
03-04-2009, 11:59 AM

BI makes a good point maybe spreading the 500,000 over 16 payments matters to Bowlen

BroncoBuff
03-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I think he was costing us A LOT more than that... also I'm curious why they didn't mention Chad Jackson who is still on our roster and under contract through this season.
I'm still fascinated by Chad, too ... and very interested in what will happen with him. I wanna see that speed returning a few kicks in preseason ....

One thing we can be sure of is that nobody knows Chad Jackson better than Josh McDaniels. And I think Josh is making pretty clear that Chad is a goner, because we re-signed Stokley and signed David Anderson to an RFA offer-sheet. If the Texans don't match, that's 5 keepers at wideout ... no room left for Chad.

rastaman
03-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Wow, that is pretty damn cheap for what he brings to the game.

Over the last 2 seasons, Stoke has proven he can't stay healthy! So he really brings the reality of not being able to complete a full season. He's more of a reliability.

eddie mac
03-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Like Inferno said.....better for Bowlen perhaps to spread out that $500K over the next 12 months worth of payroll checks instead of paying it out in one check this week.

I'd get that if we didn't just give over $14m in bonus money combined to Dawkins and Goodman.

broncosteven
03-04-2009, 12:41 PM

Did it really cost us more to cut Bly than keep him?

I still find that one interesting.

Shoemaker
03-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Thank goodness. I always feel about ten times better on third down if Stokley's on the field.

Not to mention he may have single-handedly saved the Browns game last year by stopping Brandon from getting a stupid penalty.

We need him and guys like him on the field.

eddie mac
03-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Did it really cost us more to cut Bly than keep him?

I still find that one interesting.

Yes it did bro but Denver wanted the cash back that they got. The remaining money on his deal near enough pays for Goodman.

broncosteven
03-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Yes it did bro but Denver wanted the cash back that they got. The remaining money on his deal near enough pays for Goodman.

I am lost. Goodman was 5mil a year or more with incentives.

I am glad you understand this because it is over my head.

I always sucked at math though.

BroncoInferno
03-04-2009, 05:07 PM

Splitting the $500,000 up over the course of a seasons worth of paychecks is different than having to hand it all over at once. It gives Denver more "cash on hand" to use as bonuses for FAs. That's my read on it, anyway.

Hogan11
03-04-2009, 05:09 PM

Wha? ???