PDA

View Full Version : WR situation... if Marshall is suspended

Popps
03-04-2009, 01:33 AM
We'd sort of be screwed, and if there's any truth to the reporting, Brandon's latest dopey antics could land him a more serious suspension.

So, if it's 4-8 games, we need a starting WR in hurry.

Ideally, it would be a bigger target, or at least a possession type guy. You'd hate to see us use an early draft pick and even if we do, it's tough to depend on a rookie at WR. (Usually)

What about Tory Holt? He'll turn 33 this year, but could easily have a good season or two left in him, particularly with Cutler zipping him the ball. The Rams are rumored to be considering offering him up, and (pure) speculation is that it could be for a mid-round pick. His numbers were off last year, but the Rams imploded, so it's hard to say if that was all him. People thought I. Bruce was done, and he had great season for SF.

Anyone interested in him?

If not, what other options do you like if we need a fill-in for Marshall?

ludo21
03-04-2009, 01:36 AM
Good thread. If Marshall indeeds gets in the upwards of an 8 gamer or so we are going to need another starter quality guy. We could trade down and get Nicks... which wouldnt be ideal I know.

Or wait and see if MAclin falls.... or just wait till 2nd or 3rd round for one.

I like the Holt idea, maybe a trade for Boldin since he isnt happy in AZ.. I wonder what they are looking for to unload him?

atomicbloke
03-04-2009, 01:39 AM
It has been reported that Marshal's arrest was just a misunderstanding and he was released with no charges pressed in a few hours. Why should he suspended even a game for that? And atheletes' personal and domestic issues are none of Roger Goodel's business....

UberBroncoMan
03-04-2009, 01:42 AM
Solution!

Sign fatass WR Mike Williams!

Bronco Yoda
03-04-2009, 01:44 AM
I'm afraid BM is going to the dog house for this one. Only question is how long.

DHallblows
03-04-2009, 01:46 AM
It has been reported that Marshal's arrest was just a misunderstanding and he was released with no charges pressed in a few hours. Why should he suspended even a game for that? And atheletes' personal and domestic issues are none of Roger Goodel's business....

While you're correct, the agreement between the NFL and Players Union says quite the opposite...

If it's 8 I could see us getting someone to fill in, but you don't think with Royal, Stokley, Gaffney and Scheffler (hopefully) we can make due without using a draft pick?

bap454
03-04-2009, 01:52 AM
Just start Crabtree from day one..... man that would be nice.

Popps
03-04-2009, 02:00 AM
If it's 8 I could see us getting someone to fill in, but you don't think with Royal, Stokley, Gaffney and Scheffler (hopefully) we can make due without using a draft pick?

Maybe for a game or so, but I just think we'd be missing that #1 type threat that Marshall brings. Holt isn't what he used to be, but he's still got a top-flight skill-set. Or, maybe I'm missing some other options out there.

I didn't even think about Boldin. (Ludo) Oh, man.... would that be sweet.

I love Maclin, but wonder if he's a just a bigger Eddie Royal. Crabtree will be gone when we pick, I assume... and I'd hate the idea of using a #1 on a WR. We absolutely have to build a defensive core.

BroncoMan4ever
03-04-2009, 02:06 AM
Good thread. If Marshall indeeds gets in the upwards of an 8 gamer or so we are going to need another starter quality guy. We could trade down and get Nicks... which wouldnt be ideal I know.

Or wait and see if MAclin falls.... or just wait till 2nd or 3rd round for one.

I like the Holt idea, maybe a trade for Boldin since he isnt happy in AZ.. I wonder what they are looking for to unload him?

probably a 1st and a 3rd for Boldin.

but i think if it is a 4 game suspension which seems most likely, we just go in with what we have, and use a lot more passes out of the backfield and split out Hillis more and use Scheff as a bigger part of the game plan.

if it is a 8 game suspension, i could see us going after someone like Curry who is a possession receiver and should be able to be had cheap

DHallblows
03-04-2009, 02:17 AM
Maybe for a game or so, but I just think we'd be missing that #1 type threat that Marshall brings. Holt isn't what he used to be, but he's still got a top-flight skill-set. Or, maybe I'm missing some other options out there.

I didn't even think about Boldin. (Ludo) Oh, man.... would that be sweet.

I love Maclin, but wonder if he's a just a bigger Eddie Royal. Crabtree will be gone when we pick, I assume... and I'd hate the idea of using a #1 on a WR. We absolutely have to build a defensive core.

As long as we agree there, I'm fine :thumbsup:

MechanicalBull
03-04-2009, 04:36 AM
Here is a list of the top available FA WRs:
Devery Henderson
Marvin Harrison
Laveranues Coles
Joey Galloway
Ronald Curry
Amani Toomer
Bobby Engram

DarkHorse
03-04-2009, 04:53 AM
Give me Devery Henderson out of that list.

TheChamp24
03-04-2009, 05:00 AM
I think it is fricken stupid to discuss making a trade/using a draft pick because Marshall may miss half a season.
Did you guys expect to win anything this year? I don't.
I see no point in going out and taking a WR high in the draft(of course if Crabtree falls it would be hard not to), or trade for someone because Marshall may miss some games.

DarkHorse
03-04-2009, 06:07 AM
I think it is fricken stupid to discuss making a trade/using a draft pick because Marshall may miss half a season.
I see no point in going out and taking a WR high in the draft(of course if Crabtree falls it would be hard not to), or trade for someone because Marshall may miss some games.

We will need another able body, who else do we have on the roster in case someone gets injured?

montrose
03-04-2009, 06:12 AM
Bring Marvin in for a visit.

TheChamp24
03-04-2009, 06:57 AM
We will need another able body, who else do we have on the roster in case someone gets injured?

Does it matter? It will only be at max 8 games. Again, are you expecting us to compete for anything this year? I'm not.
All I'm saying is that thinking it is a huge need is not important, and we shouldn't look at taking a WR in the 1st just because this season we may be without our #1 WR for half a season at most.

socalorado
03-04-2009, 07:04 AM
Heres the guy DEN should be looking at.
You wanna send Marshall a message?
He'll be there in the 3rd
Ramses Barden
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper860/stills/42tg80hh.jpg
http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=276&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=2543069

DarkHorse
03-04-2009, 07:06 AM
Does it matter? It will only be at max 8 games. Again, are you expecting us to compete for anything this year? I'm not.
All I'm saying is that thinking it is a huge need is not important, and we shouldn't look at taking a WR in the 1st just because this season we may be without our #1 WR for half a season at most.

Yeah i'm not talking about wasting a draft pick or spending high dollar on a WR - but we need another body. Any body as long as it comes cheap or later in the draft.

cmhargrove
03-04-2009, 07:38 AM
My first thought - draft a stud RB.

Let's learn how to be a dominant running team again. Then, when we get Marshall back, we will be near unstoppable.

Kaylore
03-04-2009, 07:45 AM
I'd like to sign someone and then trade for someone. I wouldn't mind if Marshall wasn't a Bronco next year. I'm tired of his women-beating ways.

vancejohnson82
03-04-2009, 07:51 AM
I'd like to sign someone and then trade for someone. I wouldn't mind if Marshall wasn't a Bronco next year. I'm tired of his women-beating ways.

Me too....his act has really gotten old now...

At first I thought he was just a very unlucky, immature young man. But if it walks like a duck.

How do you end up in a fistfight with your fiancee?? At some point it has to cross your mind that not only is this wrong for your relationship but its going to cost you in your career...I'm done with him

worm
03-04-2009, 07:53 AM
Heres the guy DEN should be looking at.
You wanna send Marshall a message?
He'll be there in the 3rd
Ramses Barden
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper860/stills/42tg80hh.jpg
http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=276&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=2543069

He would become my adopt a bronco if we picked him. Not often that my alma mater puts somebody in the pros.

NOLA Bronco
03-04-2009, 07:54 AM
Give me Devery Henderson out of that list.

Oh no. Heavens no. DONT THROW IT TO STONEHANDS!!!!

Henderson has the perma-droppsies.

Dukes
03-04-2009, 07:57 AM

I'm just sick of seeing Marshall and arrested in the same sentence. I do not like the idea of spending a first day pick on a WR when there's too many holes on D. Find someone late in the draft or a cheap veteran. IMO Royal can step up and be a #1 anyway.

TailgateNut
03-04-2009, 08:04 AM

Wow! What a plan! We should just forget about this season.:spit:

BroncoInferno
03-04-2009, 08:09 AM
I don't think we'd necessarily be screwed. We still have a decent trio in Royal, Stokely, and Gaffney. None of those guys give you much size, but I wouldn't consider that the worst situation to be in. That said, losing BMarsh certainly isn't going to help anything. I don't think we need to panic and use a high draft pick on the position. Maybe bring in the best available veteran if the suspension comes down.

Beantown Bronco
03-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Marshall will not be suspended for this "incident". You can bank on it.

Irish Stout
03-04-2009, 08:32 AM
I thought at the end of last year when Marshall said that he still had no feeling in his hand that we'd probably gear up to trade him. As much as Marshall comes off as a nice guy, he struggled to make the necessary catches last year and his off field antics have grown very stale indeed.

If Marshall's hand isn't better by mid-April and McD knows about it, I hope to all things Elway he tries to trade the man.

TailgateNut
03-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Marshall will be suspended for this "incident". You can bank on it.
Hey Bean, I fixed it for ya!;)

Gcver2ver3
03-04-2009, 09:06 AM
isn't drew bennett still available?...

i'd like us to get him...

Flex Gunmetal
03-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Wow! What a plan! We should just forget about this season.:spit:

1st round draft pick is a long term investment, not a 8-game stopgap ROFL!

TailgateNut
03-04-2009, 09:37 AM
1st round draft pick is a long term investment, not a 8-game stopgap ROFL!

my comment was in response to this:"Again, are you expecting us to compete for anything this year? I'm not."

skpac1001
03-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Until he can go a year without incident, it is probably wise to make contingency plans. He may not be suspended for this one, but is there any reason to think it will be the last time he has a fight with his girlfriend that gets out of hand, or that every one will be dismissed and disregarded? Can he be counted on to consistently be available in the future?

Flex Gunmetal
03-04-2009, 10:27 AM
my comment was in response to this:"Again, are you expecting us to compete for anything this year? I'm not."

I feel you. I agree. But anyone thinking the marshall situation warrants a day one pick is crazy IMO.

Popps
03-04-2009, 10:29 AM

That's the thing, and even if he comes back... we're on egg shells waiting for his next ****-up.

I think we have to do something, either way. The seriousness of the suspension will tell us just how much.

Popps
03-04-2009, 10:34 AM

It's not so much that anyone expects to win, but you still have to go out and field a team that can win. You can't ever go out and assume your team is going through the motions for a few years. You never know how quickly something will gel (Miami/Atlanta) and you'll be in the playoffs.

Beyond that, again... it's going forward that has people worried, too. Not just the games Marshall misses.

bowtown
03-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Plax

maher_tyler
03-04-2009, 01:25 PM
My first thought - draft a stud RB.

Let's learn how to be a dominant running team again. Then, when we get Marshall back, we will be near unstoppable.

I guess you forgot how good we were when Hillis was in the backfield...

Shoemaker
03-04-2009, 01:34 PM
It definitely depends on how long the suspension is, if there is one (hey, we can dream, right?).

If its 4 games or less, I'm not sure if I can justify trading a pick or a player for a stopgap solution.

I mean, even without Marshall, we've got Royal, Stokley, Gaffney, Anderson (maybe), Scheffler, Graham, Hillis, a draft pick...

That's a pretty formidable group of hands, and I'd like to think we could get by on that for a while.

Broncoman13
03-04-2009, 01:45 PM
We'd sort of be screwed, and if there's any truth to the reporting, Brandon's latest dopey antics could land him a more serious suspension.

So, if it's 4-8 games, we need a starting WR in hurry.

Ideally, it would be a bigger target, or at least a possession type guy. You'd hate to see us use an early draft pick and even if we do, it's tough to depend on a rookie at WR. (Usually)

What about Tory Holt? He'll turn 33 this year, but could easily have a good season or two left in him, particularly with Cutler zipping him the ball. The Rams are rumored to be considering offering him up, and (pure) speculation is that it could be for a mid-round pick. His numbers were off last year, but the Rams imploded, so it's hard to say if that was all him. People thought I. Bruce was done, and he had great season for SF.

Anyone interested in him?

If not, what other options do you like if we need a fill-in for Marshall?

Very interested in him. Great attitude, good production, and fills a major role. Even if BMarsh is here and doesn't get suspended I would love to have a player like Torry Holt. If they'd take a 5th for him I would do it in a heartbeat. Same if it took a 4th. We would have to restructure his contract, but I think he'd play well enough for us to give him a 4 year $16-20m contract.

Broncoman13
03-04-2009, 01:49 PM
I think bringing in a guy like Holt would do the same thing that Chambers did for SD.

DB Doom
03-04-2009, 01:52 PM
am i missing something? Marshalls incidents are because he beat his girlfriends..really, is that true?

LittleFloyd
03-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Why wast time on this clown. He has a history of slapping around the ladies. The ladies don't press charges and he ends up skating. When he actually becomes a man and takes care of women, then we have something to talk about.

Next thing out of his mouth will be once again, how sorry he is and he has learned his lesson. This will take place just after he meets with the Commissioner and is place on an 8 game suspension and losses half his salary. At least he should have enough money left to buy himself lunch at McDonald's. I would suggest to B Marsh that he doesn't take the bag home.