PDA

View Full Version : Espn Rumor Mill 2/27/09

GSRelyea
02-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Rumor Central is free and open to all users this weekend thanks to T-Mobile.

Friday, February 27
Broncos emerge as candidate for LewisRay Lewis | Ravens | Interested: Broncos? Cowboys? Jets?
While the Baltimore Ravens have feverishly tried to retain linebacker Ray Lewis over the last few weeks, his name has been linked in various sources to both the New York Jets and Dallas Cowboys. Amid the smoldering chaos as the league has finally entered the opening day of free agency, a darkhorse candidate out west has emerged according to the Baltimore Sun: the Denver Broncos.
Lewis and nascent Broncos defensive coordinator Mike Nolan worked together when Nolan had the same position with the Ravens, and according to the Sun, the two would meet one-on-one on a weekly basis to work on game-plans. In addition, the Broncos have been cutting dead weight since the promotion of general manager Brian Xanders, and the team is expected to be around $30 million under the salary cap. Lewis would be a solid tackling machine in the middle of the field as well as a vocal leader as the team installs Nolan's schemes.

Scott could be a member of Gang Green by today
Bart Scott | Ravens | Interested: Dolphins? Broncos? Buccaneers? Browns? Chiefs? Giants? Jets?
According to the Sporting News, Bart Scott is set to visit with the New York Jets on Friday morning. The Jets are expected to make Scott a strong offer to reunite with his former coach Rex Ryan, and sources have told Albert Breer of the Sporting News that Scott could sign with the team as early as today.
The Ravens made an effort late into Thursday night to re-sign Scott, but it appears that the Jets are now the front-runners for the linebacker's services. The New York Giants, Kansas City Chiefs, Cleveland Browns, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Denver Broncos and Miami Dolphins have all previously been rumored as possible destinations for Scott.

Will Redskins grab Canty too?Chris Canty | Cowboys | Interested: Seahawks? 49ers? Titans? Redskins?
After the Albert Haynesworth signing made the front page of nearly every sports website in the land on Friday morning, the Washington Redskins may be ready to make another splash, reports the Sporting News.
Chris Canty is scheduled to meet with the Redskins on Friday, and the team was believed to have expressed a great deal of interest in the 300-pound defensive lineman prior to the start of free agency. After visiting with the 'Skins, Canty is scheduled to meet with the Tennessee Titans on Saturday, the Seattle Seahawks on Monday, and the San Francisco 49ers at some point thereafter. The Titans would certainly show a great deal of interest in Canty given that they've just lost their main man in the middle.

Housh likes the VikesT.J. Houshmandzadeh | Bengals | Interested: Titans? Seahawks? Eagles? Buccaneers? Giants? Vikings?
Wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh caused quite a stir during an appearance on ESPN early Friday morning. Although the Minnesota Vikings were not initially thought to be a likely destination for the veteran, Housh remarked on how nice it would be to play for a team against whom opposing defenses could not focus on him, saying, "I'm looking at teams I think have good coaches and good offensive lines and good running games. I have no idea if those teams are interested in me. If I can play with Adrian Peterson, can you imagine what I would do getting one-on-one coverage with Adrian Peterson? I am going to win 98.6 percent of the time with one-on-one coverage with him in the backfield."
Regarding the second sentence of Housh's quote, the Minneapolis Star Tribune was unable to confirm that the Vikings were interested in pursuing the wideout, especially considering the monster contract they laid out for Bernard Berrian last offseason. The other teams believed to be in the running for Houshmandzadeh are the New York Giants, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks and Tennessee Titans.

Ward's appeal knows no geographic boundariesDerrick Ward | Giants | Interested: Buccaneers? Bengals? Lions? Broncos? Rams?
Considered to be the top free agent running back available this offseason, Pro Football Talk has put the Cincinnati Bengals, Denver Broncos, Detroit Lions, St. Louis Rams and Tampa Bay Buccaneers into the pile of teams that are interested in signing Derrick Ward.
It's expected that the Bengals, Bucs and Lions will have a strong package lined up for Ward, as their needs are the most glaring at running back. A report early on Friday morning by Alex Marvez of FOX Sports indicated that the Broncos would first bring Correll Buckhalter and J.J. Arrington to Denver for contract discussions, and Ward is unlikely to sign there as well if those two are acquired. This leaves the Rams, who have an established yet injury-prone starter in Steven Jackson, and who are entering the initial campaign of the Steve Spagnuolo era. Spags and Ward were both part of the New York Giants organization through 2008.

Dolphins back off Brown
Jason Brown | Ravens | Interested: Vikings? Redskins? Rams?
The Miami Herald reports that while Bill Parcells and the "Tuna Helpers" are fond of bringing in players who fit a certain archetype, they're not going to break the bank to do it. Therefore, one player who has been priced out of their range is center Jason Brown.
Although the team is unhappy with the development of Samson Satele, Brown's expected $7 to $8 million per-season price tag was considered a little too high. Veteran Matt Birk is still a possibility for the 'Phins, and both Alex Mack and Max Unger will likely still be on the board when Miami makes its first draft selection at No. 25 overall.

As for Brown, he will visit with the St. Louis Rams on Friday, and has also been linked to the Washington Redskins and Minnesota Vikings.

Smith mulling his options
Antonio Smith | Cardinals | Interested: Buccaneers? Eagles? Giants? Texans? Falcons?
A league source has told Pro Football Talk that Antonio Smith is currently ranking the teams who've expressed interest in him, and he will be devising his visitation schedule soon.
The list of teams who are believed to be in the running for Smith are the Atlanta Falcons, Houston Texans, New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Smith's former defensive coordinator with the Arizona Cardinals, Clancy Pendergast, has been brought to the Kansas City Chiefs as part of Todd Haley's "we don't need no stinkin' job titles" coaching regime, but there have not been rumors linking Smith to the Chiefs as of yet.

Smith had 41 tackles and 3.5 sacks for the NFC champions during 2008, but the team has youngster Calais Campbell chomping at the bit to get more playing time.
Nate has a date with the Lions
Nate Washington | Steelers | Interested: Buccaneers? Titans? Vikings? Lions?
Nate Washington is set to visit with the Detroit Lions on Friday, and could be the first big-name wide receiver to sign this offseason if all goes well. The Minneapolis Star Tribune also confirms that the Minnesota Vikings are interested in the free agent, who had 40 catches in 2008 for the Pittsburgh Steelers, and the Tennessee Titans and Tampa Bay Buccaneers are also rumored to be in the running.Collins priced out of range for Titans

Kerry Collins | Titans
With Albert Haynesworth headed to the Washington Redskins, it now appears likely that the other big-name free agent for the Tennessee Titans will be playing elsewhere in 2009 as well. The Nashville City Paper reports that Kerry Collins has priced himself out of a new contract with the team, as the veteran quarterback is believed to be seeking a deal in the neighborhood of $8 million per season, and the team does not feel confident making such a pact.
With Collins out of the picture, the Titans will be engaging Chris Simms more heavily, and could enter the offseason with Simms and former No. 3 overall pick Vince Young in a duel for the role of starting quarterback. The free agent Simms has also been linked to the Houston Texans, Dallas Cowboys and Chicago Bears in recent weeks.

SoDak Bronco
02-27-2009, 08:48 AM
How many decent years does Ray have? Maybe 2?

no-pseudo-fan
02-27-2009, 08:52 AM
We would get a vocal leader with Lewis, and he will teach players how to watch game film and will make some of our players better.

Arkansas Bronco
02-27-2009, 08:53 AM
While no fan of the person of Ray but I think the player is still good for 4 more years.

montrose
02-27-2009, 08:54 AM

People said the same thing about Lynch and we got four years out of him.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
02-27-2009, 08:54 AM

So. 2 better than none.

TonyR
02-27-2009, 08:57 AM
A report early on Friday morning by Alex Marvez of FOX Sports indicated that the Broncos would first bring Correll Buckhalter and J.J. Arrington to Denver for contract discussions, and Ward is unlikely to sign there as well if those two are acquired. This leaves the Rams, who have an established yet injury-prone starter in Steven Jackson, and who are entering the initial campaign of the Steve Spagnuolo era. Spags and Ward were both part of the New York Giants organization through 2008.

I'd so much rather have Ward. I don't understand this one at all.

theAPAOps5
02-27-2009, 08:57 AM

My thinking is he comes in to tutor whatever LBs they draft. But seeing him in Orange will be a hard pill to swallow.

vancejohnson82
02-27-2009, 08:58 AM
A report early on Friday morning by Alex Marvez of FOX Sports indicated that the Broncos would first bring Correll Buckhalter and J.J. Arrington to Denver for contract discussions, and Ward is unlikely to sign there as well if those two are acquired. This leaves the Rams, who have an established yet injury-prone starter in Steven Jackson, and who are entering the initial campaign of the Steve Spagnuolo era. Spags and Ward were both part of the New York Giants organization through 2008.

I'd so much rather have Ward. I don't understand this one at all.

i just made the same comment in the signing announcement thread...

it's like going to the showroom floor and getting two Civics instead of one Lexus

GSRelyea
02-27-2009, 09:02 AM
i just made the same comment in the signing announcement thread...

it's like going to the showroom floor and getting two Civics instead of one Lexus
Well said

Arkansas Bronco
02-27-2009, 09:02 AM
My thinking is he comes in to tutor whatever LBs they draft. But seeing him in Orange will be a hard pill to swallow.

Like I said I have no liking of Ray but the sucker can play ball. And he has stayed out of the news for a good bit. Pacman will never learn.

Kaylore
02-27-2009, 09:06 AM
Collins for 8 Million? Only Alec thinks he's worth that much.

theAPAOps5
02-27-2009, 09:07 AM

And we all know his record with QB's...... :cough: Vince Young :cough:

HorseHead
02-27-2009, 09:08 AM
I would settle for Jerry Lewis to play Linebacker these days..

Arkansas Bronco
02-27-2009, 09:09 AM

He is worth no more then 5 tops.

Broncos_OTM
02-27-2009, 09:12 AM
i like Spencer and DJ williams in the middle at this point i think Larsen can get the job done. Ray Lewis would not want to be the guy who plays the SILB he would more then likely want to play WILB. I think it would be smart to upgrade the DB DL or SOLB position where we have practically noone. save the money

supermanhr9
02-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Best idea/rumor I've heard in free agent signing yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elway777
02-27-2009, 09:15 AM
i like Spencer and DJ williams in the middle at this point i think Larsen can get the job done. Ray Lewis would not want to be the guy who plays the SILB he would more then likely want to play WILB. I think it would be smart to upgrade the DB DL or SOLB position where we have practically noone. save the money D.J Williams could play the Sam

theAPAOps5
02-27-2009, 09:17 AM
If Bart Scott Leaves for the Jets then Ray may go back to the Ravens as they can pay more. Per Mort on Mike and Mike just now. We all know that Mort sucks though. Just wanted to update.

Taco John
02-27-2009, 09:18 AM
I get the sense Ray Lewis is just using the market to find a price that Baltimore will eventually pay.

Archer81
02-27-2009, 09:18 AM

How long does it take to get young players comfortable with a new defensive system? 2.

:Broncos:

TonyR
02-27-2009, 09:21 AM
But seeing him in Orange will be a hard pill to swallow.

I understand this but I also think everyone who feels this way would quickly change their minds.

montrose
02-27-2009, 09:23 AM
I get the sense Ray Lewis is just using the market to find a price that Baltimore will eventually pay.

If Ray thinks Baltimore is going to pay him more than $25 million ($17 guaranteed) over three years than he's nuts.

TonyR
02-27-2009, 09:26 AM

Certainly possible but definitely not what he local Baltimore media is speculating. They're saying he's decided to leave and there's no changing his mind. Should be interesting!

Elway777
02-27-2009, 09:34 AM
If Ray thinks Baltimore is going to pay him more than $25 million ($17 guaranteed) over three years than he's nuts. I might offer him a 5 year 50 million that is back loaded with 15 million bonus but cut him after the second year so it works out to to about 2 year 17 million contract. Maybe Ray will be to dump and sign with the broncos thinking he will get the whole 50 million.

montrose
02-27-2009, 09:36 AM
I might offer him a 5 year 50 million that is back loaded with 15 million bonus but cut him after the second year so it works out to to about 2 year 17 million contract. Maybe Ray will be to dump and sign with the broncos thinking he will get the whole 50 million.

Ray's a smart guy, he's not going to come to a shi**y defense like this unless he gets a lot of frontloaded money.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-27-2009, 09:43 AM
BRING RAY IN!!!!!!!!! You want instant attitude? Someone who will improve the D with leadership alone? This will have a Sam Mills effect (like he did on the 94 panthers.) BRING RAY IN!!!! And Taco, you beautiful ahole, I'd ADORE this move :)

theAPAOps5
02-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Ray's a smart guy, he's not going to come to a shi**y defense like this unless he gets a lot of frontloaded money.

That or he likes the idea of working with Nolan again and this is another challenge for him. I mean this one is the closest challenge he has had to getting off with murder!

socalorado
02-27-2009, 09:48 AM
That or he likes the idea of working with Nolan again and this is another challenge for him. I mean this one is the closest challenge he has had to getting off with murder!

Wheres Anubis dammit.
Apa Has Ray played both ILB positions in BALT? I cant remember.

Gcver2ver3
02-27-2009, 09:48 AM
In case no one has posted this yet...

-- Ray Lewis Refusing to Re-Sign with Ravens --
Fri Feb 27, 2009 --from FFMastermind.com

NFL.com's Adam Schefter reports sources close to free-agent LB Ray Lewis were adamant Friday that one of the game's greatest defensive players will not return to Baltimore and his career with the team is over. For some reason, Lewis has been rubbed the wrong way in the lengthy negotiations that have occurred between he and the Ravens. Now, Lewis is determined to move on, even if there is no obvious suitor. The Dallas Cowboys have insisted they will not be signing any high-profile free agents, and there are no other teams that, at the moment, jump out as potential landing spots for Lewis. Thus, one of Lewis' confidants was asked if it were possible that the Ravens now could change their linebacker's mind. “Not if you knew Ray like I knew Ray,” was his response. He even mentioned retirement as a possibility ahead of returning to Baltimore and insisted it was not a negotiationg ploy. “That's Ray,” the source said. For now, Lewis plans to take a couple of days, ponder his plans and then come up with his gameplan. But his gameplan now does not include the Ravens, according to those who know him. Thus Baltimore could wind up losing Lewis to another team or retirement, LB Bart Scott to the Jets, C Jason Brown to the Rams (Brown is scheduled to visit St. Louis) and CB Corey Ivy to the Jets.

theAPAOps5
02-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Wheres Anubis dammit.
Apa Has Ray played both ILB positions in BALT? I cant remember.

I don't know. The only player I have followed at Baltimore was Sharpe. I am assuming he has played both but don't have the facts to back that up.

socalorado
02-27-2009, 09:56 AM

NFL.com's Adam Schefter reports sources close to free-agent LB Ray Lewis were adamant Friday that one of the game's greatest defensive players will not return to Baltimore and his career with the team is over. For some reason, Lewis has been rubbed the wrong way in the lengthy negotiations that have occurred between he and the Ravens. Now, Lewis is determined to move on, even if there is no obvious suitor. The Dallas Cowboys have insisted they will not be signing any high-profile free agents, and there are no other teams that, at the moment, jump out as potential landing spots for Lewis. Thus, one of Lewis' confidants was asked if it were possible that the Ravens now could change their linebacker's mind. “Not if you knew Ray like I knew Ray,” was his response. He even mentioned retirement as a possibility ahead of returning to Baltimore and insisted it was not a negotiationg ploy. “That's Ray,” the source said. For now, Lewis plans to take a couple of days, ponder his plans and then come up with his gameplan. But his gameplan now does not include the Ravens, according to those who know him. Thus Baltimore could wind up losing Lewis to another team or retirement, LB Bart Scott to the Jets, C Jason Brown to the Rams (Brown is scheduled to visit St. Louis) and CB Corey Ivy to the Jets.

So shouldnt someone start a thread saying "Lewis signs with DEN"!?

Gcver2ver3
02-27-2009, 10:07 AM
So shouldnt someone start a thread saying "Lewis signs with DEN"!?

i'm sure it's comin...

bowtown
02-27-2009, 10:17 AM
This would be a huge mistake. I love how Ray Lewis has a couple years of mediocrity and is slowing down as he ages, then all of a sudden in a contract year looks like he is 28 again and nobody even bats an eye. I'm not saying that you can go ahead and add Juicer to Ray's rap sheet, but that's exactly what I'm saying. I want no part of that guy, especially at the price he is going to cost.

Elway777
02-27-2009, 10:18 AM

NFL.com's Adam Schefter reports sources close to free-agent LB Ray Lewis were adamant Friday that one of the game's greatest defensive players will not return to Baltimore and his career with the team is over. For some reason, Lewis has been rubbed the wrong way in the lengthy negotiations that have occurred between he and the Ravens. Now, Lewis is determined to move on, even if there is no obvious suitor. The Dallas Cowboys have insisted they will not be signing any high-profile free agents, and there are no other teams that, at the moment, jump out as potential landing spots for Lewis. Thus, one of Lewis' confidants was asked if it were possible that the Ravens now could change their linebacker's mind. “Not if you knew Ray like I knew Ray,” was his response. He even mentioned retirement as a possibility ahead of returning to Baltimore and insisted it was not a negotiationg ploy. “That's Ray,” the source said. For now, Lewis plans to take a couple of days, ponder his plans and then come up with his gameplan. But his gameplan now does not include the Ravens, according to those who know him. Thus Baltimore could wind up losing Lewis to another team or retirement, LB Bart Scott to the Jets, C Jason Brown to the Rams (Brown is scheduled to visit St. Louis) and CB Corey Ivy to the Jets. That is good. Maybe the Broncos offer him a 6 year 60 million contract that is back loaded with 10 million signing bonus then Lewis contract cap # for the first 3 years of 4 million ,5 million , 6 million then show Lewis the door.

TonyR
02-27-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm starting to think there's no reason to worry (or dream) about Ray Lewis. Bowlen made some comments today suggesting they won't be throwing big $ around in FA. The writing appears to be on the wall with the first 4 signings that will happen today. I hope I'm wrong.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-27-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm starting to think there's no reason to worry (or dream) about Ray Lewis. Bowlen made some comments today suggesting they won't be throwing big $ around in FA. The writing appears to be on the wall with the first 4 signings that will happen today. I hope I'm wrong.

yeah, youre probably right, though it still would be nice. I would have preferred they signed 3 impact guys rather than 10 mediocre ones.

theAPAOps5
02-27-2009, 10:20 AM
I think they plan to build through the draft. Now we get to see who has the patience here.

BroncoMan4ever
02-27-2009, 10:59 AM
People said the same thing about Lynch and we got four years out of him.

agreed, and i am all for the signing for a few seasons if we are smart this time around and have a young guy or guys grooming under Lewis.

we made that mistake with Lynch, by not really having anyone to have under him learning from him for when the time came for Lynch to go.

~Crash~
02-27-2009, 11:04 AM
I think they plan to build through the draft. Now we get to see who has the patience here.

that and they must see something in players already on the roster .like Larson , Dvill ,Moss and Crowder .

If so great we as fans need to give these guys a chance .

HEAV
02-27-2009, 11:38 AM
While it would be cool to see Ray in Denver, I just don't see it happening.

Paladin
02-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Heed what was said: No big time FAs for Big Bucks. Builkding through the Draft. FAs are just stop gap players.

This is the road to a better team.......

Punisher
02-27-2009, 12:15 PM
:pray: God Please Ray Lewis Please

BroncoInferno
02-27-2009, 12:16 PM
I would have preferred they signed 3 impact guys rather than 10 mediocre ones.

Problem is you've got to fill out your roster. Signing three big names while filling the other spots with fodder is the Dan Synder method. Usually doesn't work.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Heed what was said: No big time FAs for Big Bucks. Builkding through the Draft. FAs are just stop gap players.

And people will say that now, and then piss and moan when a FA they wanted lights it up this year and Denver will be lucky to hit .500 and the draft picks aren't making immediate impacts in Week 1.

This board is going to be in meltdown mode until for awhile.

Archer81
02-27-2009, 12:18 PM

BUT I WANNA WIN NOW!!!!! :kiss:

HEAV
02-27-2009, 12:23 PM

We all want to win. But It's about building a team for now verse building a team for the next 4-5 years.

Can the Broncos go out and spend big money on shot in the arm vets and win the next 2 years? Maybe, it's possible, but then what?

It may be wise to had a vet or two at a min. level and get a few younger players and build toward a better team in 2010,11,12.

supermanhr9
02-27-2009, 12:23 PM
I am on board with bringing in nothing but proven veterans I hate re-building, it has taken so long. The Broncos must go deep into the playoffs this year and come out of this ugly doomed era we slipped into.

Punisher
02-27-2009, 12:25 PM

I 2ND THAT LETS WIN NOW! ^5

Archer81
02-27-2009, 12:25 PM
We all want to win. But It's about building a team for now verse building a team for the next 4-5 years.

Can the Broncos go out and spend big money on shot in the arm vets and win the next 2 years? Maybe, it's possible, but then what?

It may be wise to had a vet or two at a min. level and get a few younger players and build toward a better team in 2010,11,12.

2010? That is simply UNacceptable...

kidding. I hear you guys, I was just joking around and whatnot.

HEAV
02-27-2009, 12:31 PM
2010? That is simply UNacceptable...

kidding. I hear you guys, I was just joking around and whatnot.

Must admit that it would be so bad-ass to see him in a BRONCOS uni.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/BeDnArZ1534/Dawkins.jpg

http://www.dcmetroeagles.com/sitebuilder/images/BrianDawkins6_1_-541x370.jpg

http://www.dantelart.com/artwork/sports/bdawk.jpg