PDA

View Full Version : Kicker Possiblity? Mike Nugent declines offer from Jets to test free-agent market

montrose
02-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Kicker Mike Nugent declines offer from New York Jets, will test free-agent market
by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger

Kicker Mike Nugent has declined an offer from the Jets to return and will test the free-agent market, The Star-Ledger has learned.

Nugent suffered a strained right quadriceps in the 2008 season opener against the Miami Dolphins and was replaced by veteran Jay Feely for the rest of the season. Nugent was in the final year of his contract and will become an unrestricted free agent.

The Jets had been facing a tough decision on whether to keep Nugent or Feely, and probably couldn't go wrong with either one. Now Nugent has made the decision for them.

"The Jets have been really cool about the situation and gave me time to decide whether to stay," Nugent told The Star-Ledger in response to an e-mail Tuesday. "They approached us last week to re-sign, and also called again this week, and gave us a chance to talk about making a decision.

"I have so much respect for the organization and my teammates, but I feel it might be time for me to move on. (General manager) Mike (Tannenbaum), (director of football operations) Ari (Nissim) and the coaches have been incredibly understanding of my decision process and I am really grateful to them."

Feely, who is also an unrestricted free agent, is expected to sign a two- or three-year deal to replace Nugent. Last season, Feely, an eight-year veteran and former Giant, converted 24 of 28 attempts, including his last 14 in a row.

Nugent, a second-round pick in 2005 out of Ohio State, is the top kicker on the free-agent market now that the Titans' Rob Bironas has re-signed with Tennessee.

Nugent, who attempted only one field goal last season and was injured at the time, hit 75 of 91 career field-goal attempts (82.4 percent) during his three healthy seasons with the Jets. His 308 points rank fourth in team history among kickers. He hit 19 consecutive field goals over the 2006-2007 seasons, the second-longest streak in team history behind Pat Leahy (22).

Last season, Nugent was injured on the opening kickoff against the Dolphins and kicked two extra points. He attempted and missed a 32-yard field goal despite being injured because the Jets had no one else to kick. He didn't play again, although he was healthy by Week 10 because Feely kicked so well.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/02/kicker_mike_nugent_declines_of.html

BABronco
02-26-2009, 09:05 AM
we are not planning on winning it all this year so lets just develop our kicker. he has a lot of potential.

chickennob2
02-26-2009, 09:11 AM
we are not planning on winning it all this year so lets just develop our kicker. he has a lot of potential.

So does nugent. The kid was a 2nd round pick and is only 26 or so. I'd love to bring him in

azbroncfan
02-26-2009, 09:12 AM
He would be a big upgrade over Prater. Give him the dough as kickers have more impact on games than a lot of other higher paid positions.

bowtown
02-26-2009, 09:16 AM
http://blog.cleveland.com/egan_impact/2008/10/large_Ted%20Nugent%202.jpg

SoDak Bronco
02-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Nugent sucked in NY, why would we bring this guy in? If we go after a kicker give me one with a resume for NFL success

Beantown Bronco
02-26-2009, 09:22 AM
He would be a big upgrade over Prater.

His field goal percentage is only slightly better than Prater's. But his kickoffs are significantly worse (over 5 fewer yards on average).

SonOfLe-loLang
02-26-2009, 09:23 AM
http://blog.cleveland.com/egan_impact/2008/10/large_Ted%20Nugent%202.jpg

he really is one of a kind, isnt he

Smiling Assassin27
02-26-2009, 09:29 AM
kicker from USC is turning some heads. i'm sure al davis has him slated for round 1. i like nugent. coming off an injury, no need to throw him massive amounts of jack.