PDA

View Full Version : Why Gabe Watson Won't be a Broncos

rugbythug
02-26-2009, 07:07 AM
I tried to make this point earlier but I think it got lost in the Noise. Gabe Watson will not be available for a late round pick take that to the bank.

FLOOD OF RFA TENDERS LIKELY COMING TODAY
Posted by Mike Florio on February 26, 2009, 9:13 a.m. EST

The deadline for using the franchise and transition tag on potentially unrestricted free agents came and went last week.

But the deadline for extending tender offers to restricted free agents doesn’t hit until 4:00 p.m. EST today.

Look for a bunch of players to be tendered, since not that many have received the designation just yet.

An explanation of how the RFA tender process works is after the jump.

Restricted free agents are players with three years of service and whose contracts have expired. Many players who have three years of service simply aren’t eligible because they signed contracts that cover four years or more after being drafted.

Teams can limit the ability of restricted free agents to sign with a new team by extending a tender offer at one of four levels. The level of the tender dictates the amount of the compensation that the current team will receive, if the player leaves.

In all cases, tendering a restricted free agent gives the current team a right to match any offer that the player receives from another team. If the the offer is matched, the player is then off the market and under contract.

This year, a one-year offer in the amount of $1.01 million results in a draft pick from the same round in which the player was picked. If the player was not drafted, there’s no compensation at this specific level.

A one-year contract worth $1.545 million triggers a second-round pick as compensation.

A one-year deal of $2.198 million equates to a first-round pick.

And a one-year of $2.792 million triggers to a first-round pick and a third-round pick.

socalorado
02-26-2009, 07:12 AM
Dude Me and the REV have been saying this guy will be tendered as a 2nd or 3rd since he name 1st came up.
Big deal. Check my mocks with him in it. DEN could still offer a 3rd and a 2010 pick for him. he is still a possibility.

TonyR
02-26-2009, 07:23 AM
Dude Me and the REV have been saying this guy will be tendered as a 2nd or 3rd since he name 1st came up.
Big deal. Check my mocks with him in it. DEN could still offer a 3rd and a 2010 pick for him. he is still a possibility.

If Florio's numbers are correct it will probably take at least a 1st and possibly a 1st and 3rd unless I'm misunderstanding how it works. And no way we give up that much for him.

rugbythug
02-26-2009, 07:25 AM
If Florio's numbers are correct it will probably take at least a 1st and possibly a 1st and 3rd unless I'm misunderstanding how it works. And no way we give up that much for him.

You can trade a player for whatever you want. No matter what they are tendered. Although I will post in Pink for a month if SoCo is right. (Not going to Happen)

TonyR
02-26-2009, 07:26 AM
You can trade a player for whatever you want. No matter what they are tendered.

They're not going to trade their NT for a 3rd round pick so I agree with you: not going to happen.

eddie mac
02-26-2009, 07:28 AM
Wonder will Erik Pears get a tender offer???

rugbythug
02-26-2009, 07:30 AM
Not if Tyler Polumbus is actually as good as people say.

bowtown
02-26-2009, 07:57 AM
Wonder will Erik Pears get a tender offer???

I totally forgot he was still on the team.

Kaylore
02-26-2009, 08:17 AM
Gabe Wilson won't be a Broncos because there's only one of him. ;D

BabyTO
02-26-2009, 08:23 AM
We'll have to wait and see. Personally i would give up a 2nd round pick for him. Why draft an unproven DT in the 1st or 2nd round who's gonna come in and back up? And you won't even know whether he'll be good in the NFL.

Gabe Watson is already proven, he's young. He's got perfect size, he's the perfect Nose Tackle. He can come in and be the starter from day 1.

I just found this list BTW:
Rank / Player / Pos. / Team / The buzz
1 / Albert Haynesworth (right) / DT / Tennessee / Reportedly seeking $30 million in guarantees.
2 / Ray Lewis / MLB / Baltimore / Still can dominate, but will the career really Raven bolt?
3 / T.J. Houshmandzadeh / WR / Cincinnati / Won’t be overshadowed by “Ocho Psycho.”
4 / Kurt Warner / QB / Arizona / At 38 in June, he’s only worth big, big money to the Cards.
5 / Derrick Ward / RB / NY Giants / Looking for a chance to be a featured back.
6 / Bart Scott / ILB / Baltimore / Played mostly in shadows of Lewis and Terrell Suggs.
7 / Bryant McFadden / CB / Pittsburgh / Top corner on the market will get paid.
8 / DeAngelo Hall / CB / Washington / Biggest-name corner will, too.
9 / Gabe Watson / DT / Arizona / Best run-stuffer after Haynesworth.
10 / Chris Canty / DE / Dallas / Has not missed a game in 4-year career.

If he's not worth a 2nd round pick then i don't know who is.

TonyR
02-26-2009, 08:40 AM

Interesting, particularly McFadden as the best CB. What's the source?

eddie mac
02-26-2009, 08:58 AM
We'll have to wait and see. Personally i would give up a 2nd round pick for him. Why draft an unproven DT in the 1st or 2nd round who's gonna come in and back up? And you won't even know whether he'll be good in the NFL.

Gabe Watson is already proven, he's young. He's got perfect size, he's the perfect Nose Tackle. He can come in and be the starter from day 1.

If he's not worth a 2nd round pick then i don't know who is.

I wouldn't be too happy throwing a 2nd rd pick Zona's way for Watson considering his achievements so far in this league. Didn't Zona utilise Bryan Robinson more at DT last year alongside Dockett???

BroncoBuff
02-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Good. Grady is a better player anyway, and we don't lose any picks.

eddie mac
02-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Anthony Montgomery DT Redskins just received a 5th rd $1.01m tender. At 6-5 312 this kid might be a goer at NT.

azbroncfan
02-26-2009, 09:09 AM
I wouldn't be too happy throwing a 2nd rd pick Zona's way for Watson considering his achievements so far in this league. Didn't Zona utilise Bryan Robinson more at DT last year alongside Dockett???

Robinson was the starter Watson came off the bench. I am not as big on this guy as a lot of people are but he could start as NT for Denver for now but he isn't worth a 2 nd round pick in my opinion. A 4th round pick would be more like it in my opinion but I doubt AZ would deal him for that since he cheap for a decent backup.

Kaylore
02-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Anthony Montgomery DT Redskins just received a 5th rd $1.01m tender. At 6-5 312 this kid might be a goer at NT.

Can he play in a 3-4?

eddie mac
02-26-2009, 09:19 AM
Can he play in a 3-4?

No idea just throwing it out there.:giggle:

oubronco
02-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Rank / Player / Pos. / Team / The buzz
1 / Albert Haynesworth (right) / DT / Tennessee / Reportedly seeking $30 million in guarantees.
2 / Ray Lewis / MLB / Baltimore / Still can dominate, but will the career really Raven bolt?
3 / T.J. Houshmandzadeh / WR / Cincinnati / Won’t be overshadowed by “Ocho Psycho.”
4 / Kurt Warner / QB / Arizona / At 38 in June, he’s only worth big, big money to the Cards.
5 / Derrick Ward / RB / NY Giants / Looking for a chance to be a featured back.
6 / Bart Scott / ILB / Baltimore / Played mostly in shadows of Lewis and Terrell Suggs.
7 / Bryant McFadden / CB / Pittsburgh / Top corner on the market will get paid.
8 / DeAngelo Hall / CB / Washington / Biggest-name corner will, too.
9 / Gabe Watson / DT / Arizona / Best run-stuffer after Haynesworth.
10 / Chris Canty / DE / Dallas / Has not missed a game in 4-year career. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Good luck

BabyTO
02-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Interesting, particularly McFadden as the best CB. What's the source?

Well he's barely ahead of Hall who was cut by the Raiders and had an OK season with the Redskins. Sounds about right IMO.

Here's the link: http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_football_nfl/2009/02/nfl-free-agency-primer-.html

SonOfLe-loLang
02-26-2009, 10:05 AM
The title of this thread makes me laugh each time i see it:)

lostknight
02-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Not if Tyler Polumbus is actually as good as people say.

He impressed me in training camp last year.

BabyTO
02-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Watson received the second-round tender worth $1.545 million. If another teams signs him to a contract, the Cardinals would receive a second-round pick in return should they choose not to match.

Do it! :yayaya:

Inkana7
02-26-2009, 01:22 PM

Hell no.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-26-2009, 02:18 PM

How old is Watson? 25? If they really think he can become the anchor of the D, i seriously consider it.

Elway777
02-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Anthony Montgomery DT Redskins just received a 5th rd $1.01m tender. At 6-5 312 this kid might be a goer at NT. I agree 100 % . If the Redskins do sign Haynesworth then they might let Mongomery go. We also could go after big John Henderson with our 2 round pick who could be DE -Nt. Thomas ,Montgomery and Henderson as our starting defensive line. Offer Montogomy about 3 million then also sign Field to back up Nt for about 1 million.

Elway777
02-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Watson received a 2 round tender. Now the Broncos must decide if Watson is worth a second rounder. Maybe they trade down in first round and pick up a second ronder and use their second to sign Watson. I personally would not mind trading down in first a couple of Times too Pittsburgh 32 pick then draft Sean Smith to play free safety. They would have 3 second round picks they could use one to sign Watson then draft Ziggy Hood or trade for John Henderson and get Donald Brown with the other second.