PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs cut Edwards, Surtain, and Huard

brncs_fan
02-25-2009, 08:36 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3931702

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Three oft-injured veterans who hardly played last season were cut loose on Tuesday by the Kansas City Chiefs: linebacker Donnie Edwards, quarterback Damon Huard and cornerback Patrick Surtain.

The Chiefs announced on their Web site they terminated the contracts of the three, none of whom played much during the 2-14 season.

The moves were made without comment by Scott Pioli, the Chiefs' new general manager, or new coach Todd Haley.
The Chiefs also said they waived tight end Michael Merritt, who played very little last year as a rookie.

Edwards, 35, was a fourth-round draft pick by Kansas City in 1996 and led the Chiefs in tackles for four years. He signed a free agent contract with San Diego but rejoined the Chiefs as an unrestricted free agent in 2007. He played in only seven games this past season and had 34 tackles.

Huard, also 35, has been a career backup to some of the game's best quarterbacks, including Dan Marino at Miami and Tom Brady at New England. He was with the Chiefs the past five years, but injuries caused him to miss the last 11 games of 2008.

Surtain, 32, appeared in only eight games in 2008 and totaled 11 tackles.

Surtain started two games last season because of a youth movement. He was entering the fifth season of his seven-year, $52 million deal and was scheduled to make $7.35 million in 2009.

His release will save the Chiefs $6.2 million of cap space.

The 11-year veteran has had a distinguished career. He has 37 career interceptions and has been to three Pro Bowls. He's been named as an All-Pro twice. Surtain was a second-round pick of the Miami Dolphins in 1998.

Information from ESPN.com's John Clayton and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Kaylore
02-25-2009, 09:16 AM
Donnie Edwards for the vet minimum? Not to play on game days, but he'd be a good veteran presence in the locker room and knows the 3-4. He's smart.

brncs_fan
02-25-2009, 09:22 AM
I wondered about that also. Someone that can come in and teach the 3-4 nuances to the team and provide some depth.

bowtown
02-25-2009, 09:42 AM
I wonder if Huard wouldn't make a nice mentor for Cutler.

Kaylore
02-25-2009, 09:44 AM

He can show him the delicate art of throwing ten feet.

Pick Six
02-25-2009, 09:45 AM

He would be a better backup than Ramsey...

bowtown
02-25-2009, 09:48 AM

:rofl: I was thinking more like the delicate art of shutting his mouth.

Doggcow
02-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Donnie Edwards for the vet minimum? Not to play on game days, but he'd be a good veteran presence in the locker room and knows the 3-4. He's smart.

WTF do we need more people to teach the 3-4? Are our coaches really that bad that we have to bring in Cheaps scrubs to teach us how to run our Defense? I mean cmon, all this "He can teach our young guys" stuff is getting old. Why can't our coaches teach the young guys without hitting our cap?

broncofan2438
02-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Edwards was hurt most of the year......none of these guys are worth it

DomCasual
02-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Cutting four relatively high profile players?

That team is in disarray!

:)

Kaylore
02-25-2009, 11:10 AM
WTF do we need more people to teach the 3-4? Are our coaches really that bad that we have to bring in Cheaps scrubs to teach us how to run our Defense? I mean cmon, all this "He can teach our young guys" stuff is getting old. Why can't our coaches teach the young guys without hitting our cap?

Because you need guys who know how to practice the system on field during the week.

Also we're probably going to be very, very young and some older vets will help balance the leadership in the locker room; That means teaching guys how to practice, how to watch tape, how to take care of their bodies and how prepare for game day.

crazyhorse
02-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Cutting four relatively high profile players?

That team is in disarray!

:)

Those moves freed up 14 million in cap space. Who would you have kept?

Beantown Bronco
02-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Those moves freed up 14 million in cap space. Who would you have kept?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that your sarcasm radar is broken.

crazyhorse
02-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Because you need guys who know how to practice the system on field during the week.

Also we're probably going to be very, very young and some older vets will help balance the leadership in the locker room; That means teaching guys how to practice, how to watch tape, how to take care of their bodies and how prepare for game day.

He's one of my fav. Chiefs. I hate to see him go. But it's time.

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being great, I've classified him as a 7-8 LB in his carreer. I'm afraid now he's a 4-5. He might be a good vet for a couple games if someone was injured for the short term.

Not sure about the locker room coach concept. That's probably a job better left for the actual coaches.

crazyhorse
02-25-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that your sarcasm radar is broken.

I guess so. When dealing with rivals, you never know if it's sarcasm or lack of knowledge about the players.

DomCasual
02-25-2009, 12:15 PM
I guess so. When dealing with rivals, you never know if it's sarcasm or lack of knowledge about the players.

Dude, I put a smiley face after it. What do you want from me?

crazyhorse
02-25-2009, 12:17 PM

I guess I'm asleep at the wheel.

No worries mate.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-25-2009, 12:17 PM

Well, in that case, griese is avail too, right?

broncocalijohn
02-25-2009, 12:18 PM

He is a Chiefs' fan. You actually have to spell it out for him.

broncocalijohn
02-25-2009, 12:25 PM

CH, tell me if this is sarcasm or no knowledge of the team....

With these 3 cuts from the Chiefs, we can only think of one thing for the upcoming season........

KCStud
02-25-2009, 12:41 PM
Wow those 3 cuts saved KC $13 million. KC almost has $50 million to spend

crazyhorse
02-25-2009, 12:47 PM
CH, tell me if this is sarcasm or no knowledge of the team....

With these 3 cuts from the Chiefs, we can only think of one thing for the upcoming season........

The Chiefs will win one of thier regular season SBs again next season?

Against the Broncos?8')

Kaylore
02-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Wow those 3 cuts saved KC $13 million. KC almost has $50 million to spend

Room does not = spending money.

KCStud
02-25-2009, 12:59 PM
True, but we still have some good money to spend to sign some much needed talent.

broncosteven
02-25-2009, 03:34 PM
so cutting 3 players all above 32, does that mean the average age of a Cheef is now down to 23 or 24?