PDA

View Full Version : William Moore in the 2nd?

MVP-06
02-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Seems to have cemented himself in the 2nd rd. At the beginning of the year was considered the best S prospect. Assuming we go with a LB or DL in the first and Chung and Sean Smith are off the board by the time we pick. What would you think about Moore in the 2nd?

GoBroncos84
02-24-2009, 10:27 PM
If we don't get two starting safeties in free agency I would be fine with the pick. I am hoping we do get our safeties though, so we can focus on other areas day 1 of the draft. I am hoping for 2 of these 3: Sean Jones, Gibril Wilson, James Sanders

I like Delmas and Chung better than Moore, and have him about even with Sean Smith. One of those 4 could be there at 48, but all 4 could also be gone.

U4EA
02-24-2009, 10:56 PM
I like Delmas better but yes, a safety at #2!

gyldenlove
02-25-2009, 08:25 AM
Rashad Johnson is my favourite in the 2nd if he is there, Moore is a SS and we really need a FS more.

Moore could be a good SS though and could be interesting anyway. As it stands Sean Smith and Rashad Johnson are the favourites though.

SoDak Bronco
02-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Major Red Flags on his drop of production. He was injured but still he struggled in the senior bowl. I'd rather get a DT/RB in the 2nd round.

socalorado
02-25-2009, 08:32 AM
If we don't get two starting safeties in free agency I would be fine with the pick. I am hoping we do get our safeties though, so we can focus on other areas day 1 of the draft. I am hoping for 2 of these 3: Sean Jones, Gibril Wilson, James Sanders

I like Delmas and Chung better than Moore, and have him about even with Sean Smith. One of those 4 could be there at 48, but all 4 could also be gone.

I would take Sean Smith ahead of Moore. Way better size and versatility.
Delmas and Chung are more in the box safeties, whereas Smith could be a very good centerfielder FS, which are hard to come by.

cmhargrove
02-25-2009, 08:33 AM
Rashad Johnson is my favourite in the 2nd if he is there, Moore is a SS and we really need a FS more.

Moore could be a good SS though and could be interesting anyway. As it stands Sean Smith and Rashad Johnson are the favourites though.

There is so much to be said here.

We still don't know what our new coaches think of Barrett, but my guess is, they'll treat him as a seventh round rookie. He is cheap, and can still take another year or two to come along. However, he should definitely be competing at SS, not FS.

If Moore returns to his 2007 form, he would be the second coming of Roy Williams. Within the first 20 yards, he will destroy people with his big hits, and can cover well enough. If you make him run deep against a WR, he will get burned (like many other safeties in the league today). But Moore really has the chance to be a special SS, I would take him as an upgrade and instant starter at SS.

For FS, Rashad Johnson is a true center fielder. Based on the drafting criteria of McD and X, Johnson is an "instinctive football player, that reacts well under pressure." He's clutch, and will come up with a big pick when it is needed. Watch the tape, he's awesome.

A lot of this will be determined by who we can land in FA. It would be a little awkward to start two rookie safeties.

bap454
02-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Anyone know any of there 40 times from yesterday??

gyldenlove
02-25-2009, 09:52 AM
There is so much to be said here.

We still don't know what our new coaches think of Barrett, but my guess is, they'll treat him as a seventh round rookie. He is cheap, and can still take another year or two to come along. However, he should definitely be competing at SS, not FS.

If Moore returns to his 2007 form, he would be the second coming of Roy Williams. Within the first 20 yards, he will destroy people with his big hits, and can cover well enough. If you make him run deep against a WR, he will get burned (like many other safeties in the league today). But Moore really has the chance to be a special SS, I would take him as an upgrade and instant starter at SS.

For FS, Rashad Johnson is a true center fielder. Based on the drafting criteria of McD and X, Johnson is an "instinctive football player, that reacts well under pressure." He's clutch, and will come up with a big pick when it is needed. Watch the tape, he's awesome.

A lot of this will be determined by who we can land in FA. It would be a little awkward to start two rookie safeties.

Certainly, the thing is that Barrett in his last year suffered a lot of the same problems Moore did. Barrett was dominating the field in his second to last year, and was being debated as a 2nd round pick, but his production fell off the edge of the world in his last year and it cost him. I see Moore as being in the same boat, not as bad, but in the same boat. We are not sure if we are getting the senior Moore or the junior Moore.

I believe it will be easier to find a decent SS in free agency than finding a FS. That is why I think we need to look at FS in the draft, Johnson is my favourite, but Sean Smith is also someone I value very highly. Moore is a guy I was extremely high on at one point, but after seeing his play drop that much I am just not sure we are getting a good deal.

MVP-06
02-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Im pretty sure unless we trade up into the early 2nd round that Smith and Chung will be gone. I think Smith could end up being the best Safety of all of them, just don't think we will have him sitting there with the #48 pick.

I do think that Moore will be there and according to reports from the combine he looked much better then he did at the senior bowl

elpasojoe
02-25-2009, 11:21 AM
I believe we may be best served by avoiding Moore altogether. At the Senior, scouting reports state that Moore proved himself as a classic Safety/linebacker "tweener." Too small to play linbacker, doesn't have the swivel/flexibility in the hips needed at safety.
Sound familiar? We would be looking to find a position for a player, and isn't that what we are doing with some half dozen player right now? We don't need to add to that mix.
I am one of many that believes we have to find some place to play Woodyard. If that means DB, so be it. He needs to be on the field. I once was high on Nic Harris, be he has become a "Tweener" also. I believe we have something with Barrett, and I believe a Rashad Johnson is the man we are looking for a Rd. 2. We also need another corner, and there are plenty of prospects in the middle round.
Woodyard, along with Larsen and Hillis, were of the few highlights from last season. Please give the PT and every chance to blossom for this team.

cutthemdown
02-25-2009, 01:00 PM
The scouts are saying Moore is stiff with slow hips. That is a real killer for a d-back. He may have the mentality but not the tools to get the job done. He seems risky to me and more like a 4th rounder.

cutthemdown
02-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Elpasojoe seems right on the money. IMO we already have a guy like Moore in Barrett. A player who can hit but lacks the swivel in the hips needed to change direction fast enough to make plays from the middle of the field to the sideline.

cmhargrove
02-25-2009, 02:01 PM
The scouts are saying Moore is stiff with slow hips. That is a real killer for a d-back. He may have the mentality but not the tools to get the job done. He seems risky to me and more like a 4th rounder.

I understand this is the current knock on him, and it may be true, but if you watch his 2007 season, you wouldn't say that at all. He was a dominant player in run support and in the passing game. Fast, instinctive, a great blitzer, and a crusher in the middle of the field. He was a holy terror his Junior year.

Watch these highlights of his junior year, as I said, he will remind you of Roy Williams. A huge hitter (check out the hit at :56 seconds), and makes good, athletic interceptions and incredible backfield pressure.

William Moore 2007:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MCGLk4mKnho&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MCGLk4mKnho&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MVP-06
02-25-2009, 03:58 PM
I understand this is the current knock on him, and it may be true, but if you watch his 2007 season, you wouldn't say that at all. He was a dominant player in run support and in the passing game. Fast, instinctive, a great blitzer, and a crusher in the middle of the field. He was a holy terror his Junior year.

Watch these highlights of his junior year, as I said, he will remind you of Roy Williams. A huge hitter (check out the hit at :56 seconds), and makes good, athletic interceptions and incredible backfield pressure.

William Moore 2007:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MCGLk4mKnho&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MCGLk4mKnho&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I agree, Im curious to see if he had some kind of injury that was being kept quiet in 2008

ColoradoBuff
02-25-2009, 04:23 PM
I'd rather have Moore, Delmas or Johnson than Chung.

Punisher
02-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Pick up a Safety in Free A. Take Greene from Iowa(RB) in the 2nd round

mattob14
02-25-2009, 05:20 PM
The knock on Moore this year was that he bulked up too much after his Junior year and lost a lot of his flexibility and range. Some players are able to shed some weight and regain that athleticism, others struggle to get it back. If Moore falls in the former category, he'll be a steal in round 2. If he's in the latter, he won't be much of an asset in the NFL.

mhgaffney
02-25-2009, 05:22 PM
R Johnson made 3 interceptions in one game last year. I forget against who.

I think it would even be worth trading up a few spots in the second to nab him.

mattob14
02-25-2009, 05:23 PM

I'm not as high on Johnson as most on this board. He's a guy that I want to like, but when I watched 'Bama, he was a guy who was all over the field but had no strength or drive at the point of impact. Every tackle I saw him make was basically hanging on with everything he had and hoping the runner went down. I don't see that working in the NFL unless he adds some serious strength, which would likely negate his already borderline athleticism.