PDA

View Full Version : Mayock's Top 20 Prospects

montrose
02-24-2009, 06:40 PM
From the best draft guru in the business...

1) Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest
2) Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
3) Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
4) Brian Orakpo, OLB, Texas
5) Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
6) Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
7) Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
8) Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
9) Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
10) Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
11) James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State
12) Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
13) Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
14) B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
15) Aaron Maybin, OLB, Penn State
16) Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
17) Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
18) Brian Cushing, OLB/ILB, USC
19) Donald Brown, RB, Connecticut
20) Tyson Jackson, DE, Louisiana State

mattob14
02-24-2009, 06:48 PM
From the best draft guru in the business...

1) Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest
2) Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
3) Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
4) Brian Orakpo, OLB, Texas
5) Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
6) Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
7) Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
8) Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
9) Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
10) Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
11) James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State
12) Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
13) Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
14) B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
15) Aaron Maybin, OLB, Penn State
16) Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
17) Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
18) Brian Cushing, OLB/ILB, USC
19) Donald Brown, RB, Connecticut
20) Tyson Jackson, DE, Louisiana State

Man, there's a lot to take note of here: Orakpo the #4 overall prospect now...Ayers at #12 and the top DE...Crabtree still #2 overall...Moreno up to #7 and Donald Brown at #19, while Wells is nowhere to be found...Also, no Everette Brown on the list...

Inkana7
02-24-2009, 06:49 PM
That is interesting.

mhgaffney
02-24-2009, 07:58 PM
No Rey Rey...

skpac1001
02-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Laurinaitis higher then Raji makes my head hurt.

ludo21
02-24-2009, 08:47 PM
hmmm.... I wonder what made Raji drop on his board... He was very high on him early on. I am shocked Brown cracked the 20.

Paladin
02-24-2009, 10:02 PM
hmmm.... I wonder what made Raji drop on his board... He was very high on him early on. I am shocked Brown cracked the 20.

T-rex arms?

bpc
02-24-2009, 10:16 PM
There is no way Pettigrew goes as high as he thinks. He's like Kyle Brady.
I think he's a better athlete than his speed indicates but I don't see anybody reaching for a TE before 20 at least.

Knowshon Moreno that high is a joke. 4.6 40, think he's playing in a nintendo offense on the field with his jukes. He's an ACL tear waiting to happen.

Ayers is still overated IMO.

bpc
02-24-2009, 11:44 PM
My top 20?

1. Aaron Curry - OLB - Guy is simply amazing. He can play any LB spot in any defense. Doesn't matter. He's a can't miss player. He may never record the stats this spot might indicate but he's going to be a leader who fills the grunt roles and erases players.
2. Jason Smith - LT - Definitely didn't hurt himself with his workout numbers at the combine. He's one of those guys that won't get much pub but is going to be a very good player for a very long time.
3. Matt Stafford - QB - Best arm in the draft. He's young and talented. A team is going to have to be patient with him. Let him sit for a little while and go from there.
4. Eugene Monroe - LT - With the proliferation of the 3-4 defense, teams are now scrambling to find that bookend tackle to lock down the backside protection of their QB.
5. Michael Crabtree - WR - The best WR in the draft. He has a little bit of a Larry Fitzgerald type in him with his run after the catch capabilities. I'm not in love with his speed but the guy can play.
6. Andre Smith - OL - Call it whatever you want but Andre Smith is still one of the most talented players in this draft. I think if he slides, Oakland takes him off the board at 7.
7. Everette Brown - OLB/DE - Explosive pass rusher who has the quick twitch fibers in his body to be great. He has a knack for finding the QB and can exploit tackles in bunches.
8. Brian Orakpo - OLB/DE - I still think he's a little overhyped personally but he's a hard worker with good size, strength and measurables. Can he grow anymore? He's pretty much a finished product.
9. Jeremy Maclin - WR - The most explosive WR coming out this year. I think he's a gamebreaker.
10. BJ Raji - DT - Some people think I don't like him because I don't want Denver to pick him. Let me clarify, I think the guys is a great. I think he's an excellent fit in a 4-3 under scheme which will have him putting TREMENDOUS pressure on the center each snap by taking away half of his body. I think everything that makes him special would be taken away if he plays in a 3-4 at the nose.
11. Vontae Davis - CB - SIZE, SPEED, and big play capability. The guy doesn't shy away from contact either. He notched 79 tackles last year. I think with Jenkins poor 40 times, the top CB spot has come into question.
12. Michael Johnson - DE/OLB - Man... this guy is going to get me killed but it is what it is. He's 6'7, 265 and moves like a corner. He hasn't scratched his potential yet and a defense and move him all around the field to create mismatches. The bottom line is you can't find guys his size that have the ability he does.
13. Michael Oher - LT - I think he has a good senior bowl week and he's stuck it out during his whole college career instead of leaving early like many suggested. He isn't as good as the first three OT's that are higher but his maturity is up towards the top. He has great feet, good size and strength. He reminds me a little bit of what Ryan Harris looked like last year. He's a fighter who is going to come at you for 65 play a game.
14. Beanie Wells - HB - I don't believe for a second that there is a better HB than Beanie. He has his issues... injury past, etcetera. What I see when i watch this guy run though is the next Jamal Lewis. I'm not freaking out about his 40 time either. I've seen him blow by defenders from Michigan, LSU among others. He's as fast as there , especially at his size.
15. Tyson Jackon - DE - Preeminent 5 technique in the 3-4. I love the guys skills he's a vastly underrated strong side defensive end who can come in and start from day one. He'll instantly improve a teams rush defense and has some nice pass rush skills as well.
16. Malcom Jenkins - CB - Somebody is going to fall in love with his body of work and take him. He's been on the scene too long and he's been too consistent to slide from a 4.5 40 time.
17. Brian Cushing - OLB - I think he was the real leader of the SC LB's. Tireless worker who comes off as a poor man's Aaron Curry, without the elite athletic ability. He's gonna be a nice player in this league who can line up inside or outside.
18. Darrius Heyward-Bey - WR - Somebody is going to fall in love with his size and speed. It always happens with guys like him. He's a Troy Williamson clone with better ability.
19. Aaron Maybin - OLB - It's all in the first step and Maybin has it. He's still only 20 years old and he has tons of room to grow in his body. Somebody is going to see this guy as another dominant edge pass rusher in the 3-4 defense and if they take the time to groom him, he could be a handful in a few years.
20. Clay Mathews - OLB - I see him being able to master the sam in a 4-3 or the sam in a 3-4. Both are tough positions to occupy and when a DC see's somebody who can cover space and rush the passer equally well, they will jump on that guy.

**** 21. Hakeem Nicks - WR - I think he compares very favorably to Crabtree. These two guys have some of the best hands I've ever seen. Nicks is going to shock some people with how good he is.