PDA

View Full Version : Another possible FA Target: Anthony Weaver to be released

montrose
02-24-2009, 07:33 PM
He has 3-4 DE experience under Mike Nolan.

--------------------------------------------
Looking for cap room, Texans will release DE Weaver
by Adam Schefter

As the Friday beginning of the new league year creeps closer, teams are creating more and more salary-cap room.

Just days after cutting RB Ahman Green and LB Morlon Greenwood, the Texans will release DE Anthony Weaver on Tuesday. His $6.2 million base salary will come off the Texans’ salary cap, but they still must deal with $5.4 million in acceleration on his contract — a total savings of $800,000.

Once Weaver is released, it will not be long before he finds another job. Jets coach Rex Ryan coached Weaver in Baltimore and could sign him for New York, or the Ravens always could try to bring him back.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/23/looking-for-cap-relief-texans-will-release-de-weaver/

Tombstone RJ
02-24-2009, 07:41 PM
eh, um... sure, bring him in.

Inkana7
02-24-2009, 07:46 PM
He could bust off 2k sacks in our system.

montrose
02-24-2009, 07:55 PM
He didn't fit in down in Houston with their 4-3 defense, but he's an underrated 3-4 DE who fits in exactly in Nolan's scheme and wouldn't be overly expensive. Honestly, I think he may be a better 3-4 DE than Olshansky and Canty.

Dukes
02-24-2009, 08:04 PM
At this point, we can't afford not to bring guys like this in.

Broncojef
02-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Man I've read articles on like 5 guys this last week being released and just about every writer wants to lead him to Rex Ryan and the Jets...Did they get rid of their entire defense too or are writers just catering to the NY media again?

razorwire77
02-24-2009, 08:18 PM
This would be a quality pick up for the Broncos. He fits better in a 3-4 than anyone else we have. A better, and probably cheaper option than Igor.

MechanicalBull
02-24-2009, 08:28 PM
Man I've read articles on like 5 guys this last week being released and just about every writer wants to lead him to Rex Ryan and the Jets...Did they get rid of their entire defense too or are writers just catering to the NY media again?

Here in NY all the papers and radio are throwing crap against the wall and when any Raven or former Raven gets cut they are saying the Jets will bring them in.

It's just like when an RB is let go all reports say Denver will be interested in them. They get paid to make crap up.

montrose
02-24-2009, 08:37 PM
At this point, we can't afford not to bring guys like this in.

Weaver now moves near the top of my free agent wishlist, my list is full of affordable guys who can serve as depth and compliment the large group of rookies hopefully coming in to help on defense. How's this sound?

Anthony Weaver, DE - Solid 3-4 DE with experience under Mike Nolan in Baltimore would come in as an immediate starter.

Mike Wright, DE/NT - Has the New England connection with McDaniels, a versatile and hard-working player who can start in a pinch and provide quality depth.

Ronald Fields, NT - True nose played under Nolan in San Francisco and should be solid #2 NT.

Grady Jackson, NT - Massive NT who could work in with Fields and a rookie for a season until the Broncos further solidify the spot.

Rosie Colvin, SOLB - Veteran has the Patriots connection and is experienced in the 3-4. Would serve as insurance to Boss Bailey and help mentor younger defenders.

Zach Thomas, SILB - Another veteran winding down his career, could provide a wonderful mentor to Spencer Larsen or a rookie SILB.

Ronald Bartell, CB - Up and coming young corner has great size and fits Nolan's physical scheme. Has experience as a starter, hopefully helping to prepare him from playing across Champ Bailey.

Lewis Sanders, CB - Another ex-Patriot, Sanders has plenty of experience and is versatile enough to play CB or S.

Allen Rossum, CB/KR - Also played under Nolan in San Francisco, experienced corner would provide depth but more importantly, provide a solid return man to rest Eddie Royal.

James Sanders, FS - Another ex-Patriot, Sanders is a blue-collar type player with plenty of experience. Fits the bill as a smart, tough defender that McDaniels, Nolan and Brian Xanders hope to define as the new Broncos-type of defender.

Jermaine Phillips, SS - A talented and physical SS who would greatly help in run support while having experience covering a lot of ground in the Tampa 2 defense.

J.T. O'Sullivan, QB - A player with some experience who is a big, athletic QB with a strong arm who would be a nice project for McDaniels to develop a long-term backup to Jay Cutler.

Lorenzo Neal, FB - The FB position isn't used much in McDaniels' system, but is important in short yardage situations. Neal is still a very good blocking FB who would come cheap.

Jabar Gaffney, WR - Experienced in McDaniels system, Gaffney would increase depth at the WR position and allow Brandon Stokley to work in with Royal as the Broncos slot-WR.

John Carney, K - Veteran kicker would provide a dependable upgrade to Matt Prater.

This would send us into the draft with:

QB: Cutler, O'Sullivan
RB: Hillis, Torain, Young
FB: Neal
WR: Marshall, Gaffney, C.Jackson
WR: Royal, Stokley
TE: Graham, Scheffler, Leach
LT: Clady, Polumbus
LG: Hamilton
C: Wiegmann, Lichtensteiger
RG: Kuper, Murray
RT: Harris

DE: Weaver, Wright, Crowder
NT: G.Jackson, Fields
DE: Thomas, Powell
WOLB: Moss, Dumervil
WILB: D.Williams, Woodyard
SILB: Larsen, Thomas
SOLB: B.Bailey, Colvin
CB: C.Bailey, Bell, J.Williams
CB: Bartell, L.Sanders, Rossum
FS: J.Sanders, Fox
SS: Phillips, Barrett

K: Carney, Prater
P: Kern
KR: Rossum, Young
PR: Rossum, Royal
DS: Leach, Scheffler

TonyR
02-24-2009, 08:49 PM
How's this sound?

Sounds very good, well done. Nobody on that list is an unrealistic get.

razorwire77
02-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Weaver now moves near the top of my free

I would be very happy with this roster going into the draft.

iforgotmypassword
02-24-2009, 09:52 PM
i tihnk that's a great bunch actually

Popps
02-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Good work, Montrose. Wouldn't surprise me to go after a few of those guys.

baja
02-24-2009, 11:02 PM
well thought out.

orange crusher
02-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Weaver now moves near the top of my free agent wishlist, my list is full of affordable guys who can serve as depth and compliment the large group of rookies hopefully coming in to help on defense. How's this sound?

Anthony Weaver, DE - Solid 3-4 DE with experience under Mike Nolan in Baltimore would come in as an immediate starter.

Mike Wright, DE/NT - Has the New England connection with McDaniels, a versatile and hard-working player who can start in a pinch and provide quality depth.

Ronald Fields, NT - True nose played under Nolan in San Francisco and should be solid #2 NT.

Grady Jackson, NT - Massive NT who could work in with Fields and a rookie for a season until the Broncos further solidify the spot.

Rosie Colvin, SOLB - Veteran has the Patriots connection and is experienced in the 3-4. Would serve as insurance to Boss Bailey and help mentor younger defenders.

Zach Thomas, SILB - Another veteran winding down his career, could provide a wonderful mentor to Spencer Larsen or a rookie SILB.

Ronald Bartell, CB - Up and coming young corner has great size and fits Nolan's physical scheme. Has experience as a starter, hopefully helping to prepare him from playing across Champ Bailey.

Lewis Sanders, CB - Another ex-Patriot, Sanders has plenty of experience and is versatile enough to play CB or S.

Allen Rossum, CB/KR - Also played under Nolan in San Francisco, experienced corner would provide depth but more importantly, provide a solid return man to rest Eddie Royal.

James Sanders, FS - Another ex-Patriot, Sanders is a blue-collar type player with plenty of experience. Fits the bill as a smart, tough defender that McDaniels, Nolan and Brian Xanders hope to define as the new Broncos-type of defender.

Jermaine Phillips, SS - A talented and physical SS who would greatly help in run support while having experience covering a lot of ground in the Tampa 2 defense.

J.T. O'Sullivan, QB - A player with some experience who is a big, athletic QB with a strong arm who would be a nice project for McDaniels to develop a long-term backup to Jay Cutler.

Lorenzo Neal, FB - The FB position isn't used much in McDaniels' system, but is important in short yardage situations. Neal is still a very good blocking FB who would come cheap.

Jabar Gaffney, WR - Experienced in McDaniels system, Gaffney would increase depth at the WR position and allow Brandon Stokley to work in with Royal as the Broncos slot-WR.

John Carney, K - Veteran kicker would provide a dependable upgrade to Matt Prater.

I wouldn't mind that at all, aside from the fact that Boss Bailey is listed as the starting SOLB. I think that would make SOLB the #1 priority in the draft. I just don't see Boss as a 3-4 LB.

azbroncfan
02-24-2009, 11:13 PM
Another DE people are overlooking is Antonio Smith of the AZ Cards. He has been a real solid player for them and won't break the bank.

Traveler
02-25-2009, 06:12 AM
Great list Montrose. I would only remove two players. Gaffney and Neal.

Chad Jackson and Gaffney are the same player. Same goes Neal and Andrew Pinnock. Best part is that Jackson & Pinnock are already on the roster.

TonyR
02-25-2009, 07:22 AM
Chad Jackson and Gaffney are the same player.

Although keep in mind that NE clearly preferred Gaffney to Jackson for whatever reason.

HorseHead
02-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Montrose for GM.....

Inkana7
02-25-2009, 08:41 AM
Gaffney has played great for the Pats. I really like the Ron Fields pickup. He can be good.

Fan In Exile
02-25-2009, 08:49 AM

I like it a lot Montrose except for two things. J.T. is going to be 30 before the next season starts so I think he's passed the long term back-up/development stage. I would rather they just draft a guy later to ack up Cutler.

I also don't think that Marshall, Gaffney, Royal, is better than Marshall, Royal, Stockley. I'd rather just draft a young guy to develop for when Stockley gets older.