PDA

View Full Version : Rey Rey gets hurt at combine!!!

brncobrett
02-24-2009, 10:28 AM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/23/maualuga-comes-up-limping-at-end-of-40/

USC LB Rey Maualuga’s scouting combine workouts were cut short by a leg injury near the end of Monday’s 40-yard dash.

Maualuga came up limping on his right leg at the end of his first attempt at the 40 when he took an awkward step after the finish line. He suffered the injury after his run — as he was deaccelerating — and immediately took weight off the leg before kneeling down on the turf. Maualuga was able to gingerly walk off the field with a trainer.

“I could feel it for the past two weeks,” Mauluga told the NFL Network’s Scott Hanson in an on-field interview during NFL.com/Live. “I just wanted to come out here and compete with the very best. I wanted to show the coaches and scouts I could do everything. Now I’m just going to go to the trainer and get right and hopefully be able to do the Pro Day (April 1).

“I didn’t want to come out here and use my hamstring as an excuse. Unfortunately, it’s been bothering me, but I felt I could go. I wasn’t pressured to do it. I thought I could go out and do the 40 and do it in a good time.”

vancejohnson82
02-24-2009, 10:31 AM
maybe he will slide to the second round

OOJack
02-24-2009, 10:33 AM
All the mocks I've seen have him dropping to us at the 12 spot, I just don't believe it. Maybe the injury betters our odds?!?

montrose
02-24-2009, 10:34 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=77424

socalorado
02-24-2009, 10:35 AM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/23/maualuga-comes-up-limping-at-end-of-40/

USC LB Rey Maualuga’s scouting combine workouts were cut short by a leg injury near the end of Monday’s 40-yard dash.

Maualuga came up limping on his right leg at the end of his first attempt at the 40 when he took an awkward step after the finish line. He suffered the injury after his run — as he was deaccelerating — and immediately took weight off the leg before kneeling down on the turf. Maualuga was able to gingerly walk off the field with a trainer.

“I could feel it for the past two weeks,” Mauluga told the NFL Network’s Scott Hanson in an on-field interview during NFL.com/Live. “I just wanted to come out here and compete with the very best. I wanted to show the coaches and scouts I could do everything. Now I’m just going to go to the trainer and get right and hopefully be able to do the Pro Day (April 1).

“I didn’t want to come out here and use my hamstring as an excuse. Unfortunately, it’s been bothering me, but I felt I could go. I wasn’t pressured to do it. I thought I could go out and do the 40 and do it in a good time.”

Hes had the nagging injury for a while now. He still went to the combine hoping he could just work through it. the injury didnt occur during th combine. just wanna get that straight.
I suppose he could have let everyone know about it before the combine so he could use it as an excuse if he wanted to, but instead he kept it to himself and he ended up reinjuring it. No biggie.

Tombstone RJ
02-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Theres alot of quality at the LBer position and I'm very excited about this. Heck, I'd take any one of the guys from SC. They are all big, strong and fast.

supermanhr9
02-24-2009, 12:15 PM
Would love that crazy somoan on our team

Kaylore
02-24-2009, 12:26 PM
I wouldn't. He can't cover and is nicked up. Also if you're looking for the definition of "popcorn muscles", this guy is it.

24champ
02-24-2009, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't. He can't cover and is nicked up. Also if you're looking for the definition of ?popcorn muscles?, this guy is it.

Yep.

This guy isn't the second coming of Polamalu.

cutthemdown
02-24-2009, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't. He can't cover and is nicked up. Also if you're looking for the definition of ?popcorn muscles?, this guy is it.

funny because I remember me arguing with you over Boss and Niko last offseason. You seemed to think they could play I was like these dudes have never played well. Maualuga is going to be a great pro. You are totally wrong about him.

cutthemdown
02-24-2009, 01:21 PM
I'd take Maualuga in the first round. He will start inside for a good number of yrs in the NFL. Will he be Ray Lewis? that's a tough order for any linebacker to live up to. I do think he will be a good physical player.

tsiguy96
02-24-2009, 01:37 PM
I'd take Maualuga in the first round. He will start inside for a good number of yrs in the NFL. Will he be Ray Lewis? that's a tough order for any linebacker to live up to. I do think he will be a good physical player.

ray lewis killed a man.

Kaylore
02-24-2009, 01:46 PM
funny because I remember me arguing with you over Boss and Niko last offseason. You seemed to think they could play I was like these dudes have never played well. Maualuga is going to be a great pro. You are totally wrong about him.

That's a total lie. I will now destroy you with the search function.

I was practically the only one on this board who was against Boss being a Bronco.

Here's my post when we signed him
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=1907421&postcount=79
That's not an endorsement by any means.

Here is my opinion of him as the year went on.
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=1907778&postcount=138
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=1913526&postcount=25
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2008155&postcount=6

Here is quote from March 12 2008
Those numbers are from the combine. He's been injured a few times since then. Articles and the subsequent threads like these only serve to create disappointment when the season begins. People here honestly believe Boss is going to be some kind of bad ass for us. We'll be lucky if he's average and plays all 16 games.

By the way, CTD, there was never a case of me arguing with you defending Boss. That was a lie too. In fact you were all for signing him here:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=1907978&postcount=171

Strange how you like to accuse me of being wrong and you can't even remember a year ago accurately.

I will say I was wrong on Boss' play. He played better than I thought he would. My concerns over his health proved true.

And just for accuracy here's my post on Niko:
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=1928014&postcount=12
I have a good feeling about Niko. I would say I'm more optimistic about him than I am pessimistic about Boss - and I'm not excited about Boss at all.

First of all that's hardly saying he's going to lite it up. I felt good about Niko because the Bucs went after him pretty hard and also because he made plays on special teams. He played behind a pro-bowl middle linebacker, so the thought was he just never got the chance. I admit that I was wrong to be optimistic about him, but I wasn't the only one who felt that way.

Once again, there is no thread with you and me debating about how Niko does or does not suck.

Owned.

Tombstone RJ
02-24-2009, 02:55 PM

I was practically the only one on this board who was against Boss being a Bronco.

That's not an endorsement by any means.

Here is my opinion of him as the year went on.
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=1907778&postcount=138
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=1913526&postcount=25
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2008155&postcount=6

Here is quote from March 12 2008

By the way, CTD, there was never a case of me arguing with you defending Boss. That was a lie too. In fact you were all for signing him here:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=1907978&postcount=171

Strange how you like to accuse me of being wrong and you can't even remember a year ago accurately.

I will say I was wrong on Boss' play. He played better than I thought he would. My concerns over his health proved true.

And just for accuracy here's my post on Niko:
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=1928014&postcount=12

First of all that's hardly saying he's going to lite it up. I felt good about Niko because the Bucs went after him pretty hard and also because he made plays on special teams. He played behind a pro-bowl middle linebacker, so the thought was he just never got the chance. I admit that I was wrong to be optimistic about him, but I wasn't the only one who felt that way.

Once again, there is no thread with you and me debating about how Niko does or does not suck.

Owned.

Wow. Question: Have you no life?:D

PS. Can you find all my posts about Boss too? Seriously, I can't remember what I said about signing the guy...

vancejohnson82
02-24-2009, 03:09 PM
haha....that is why I never call out people that know how to use the search function...

BUT I DIGRESS...

I WANT REY REY ON THIS TEAM!!!!!!! I am going to vehemently state my opnion on this in every thread that it is brought up...that way I can run the search function next year when he is lighting it up and prove someone wrong....

24champ
02-24-2009, 03:10 PM

Interesting posts in that thread...like this one.;D

Well I'm not too thrilled with this signing like most are. I feel like the Broncos are making lateral moves so far on Defense.

I'm not expecting much from the LB corp next year if we don't get a solid DL in here. In fact it's possible this Defense could be worse next year. Safety is a looming problem if not already, DL is already a problem. A new Defensive Cordinator. We haven't exactly improved the defense thus far.

mhgaffney
02-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Incredible!

Kaylore has a photographic memory!

Either that, or he's a peerless scholar.

Too bad his skills are wasted on recreational trivia.

If we could harness his talent and direct it at a REAL issue -- heck -- we could fix the economy and bring peace to the Mideast.

MHG

theAPAOps5
02-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Incredible!

Kaylore has a photographic memory!

Either that, or he's a peerless scholar.

Too bad his skills are wasted on recreational trivia.

If we could harness his talent and direct it at a REAL issue -- heck -- we could fix the economy and bring peace to the Mideast.

MHG

I know what you mean we say the same thing about you on a daily basis.

theAPAOps5
02-24-2009, 05:34 PM

This must become your signature. You have used this line twice just before making a poster look like an ass.

hades
02-24-2009, 05:47 PM
ray lewis killed a man with a trident.

LMAO, I had the Ron Burgandy voice saying that.

gyldenlove
02-24-2009, 06:32 PM
I would like to say that I publicly and privately hated the idea of signing Boss Bailey and I stand by my convictions. I will also say that I liked Niko Koutouvides and argued that he should start over Webster, and I was wrong.

Is it too late to call 55 post rule on this thread? By the time it was posted it was old news and frankly it belongs in the draft forum or a forum for completely irrelevant things.

Inkana7
02-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Rey Maualauga would be a waste of a first round pick.

Tombstone RJ
02-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Yah, I was way wrong on Niko too. Way wrong.

no-pseudo-fan
02-24-2009, 06:41 PM
I submit that Rey wasn't an All American because he looks mean. He is a leader on the field, he is better than the #10 pick last year. People will say all kinds of things to get him to drop to them. Cushing is more of a injury risk than Rey is. Will we draft Rey? IDK. If we draft him I will be happy, because than means Nolan likes him. We will see.

Kaylore
02-24-2009, 09:17 PM
This must become your signature. You have used this line twice just before making a poster look like an ass.

I'll only go through it when I distinctly remember someone saying otherwise or in this case when they start making up stuff I said.

TheChamp24
02-24-2009, 09:45 PM
I honestly think Rey is highly overrated. He is no where near a top 10 pick IMO. He disapeared in games that I saw and was never really a force. He may be a decent pro, but he won't be great. I see a couple good years, and a bunch of above average to average years.
Maybe similar to our DJ Williams.

cutthemdown
02-24-2009, 10:23 PM
I'll only go through it when I distinctly remember someone saying otherwise or in this case when they start making up stuff I said.

sorry my bad i was obviously wrong.

Mediator12
02-25-2009, 08:50 AM
The people who think Maualuga is going to be a great player are completely overlooking the scheme he played in at USC. He had very little responsibility, had super simple reads and keys (and missed a bunch of them), and his production was severely limited despite everything being funneled to him. Add on top of that, he has 6 NFL draft worthy players playing in the front seven with him and several more on the back end, is not as athletic as people make him out to be, and struggles mightily in space and I am still trying to see where everyone sees this guy as a top level prospect anymore.

I was really high on him last year watching tape of Sedrick Ellis and Fili Moala, but I was not focusing on him specifically, just watching him make some huge plays and fill gaps inside AND outside. That is why I thought he would be a special Mike, he could stuff inside and make plays sideline to sideline. Unfortunately, the guy will struggle mightily on the next level with the passing game and Play action, as he did not have to worry about it at all in USC's defense. He has very little reps at all playing anything but the run or blitzing.

He totally reminds me of Derrick Johnson coming out of Texas. Johnson is MUCH better in coverage than Maualuga, but he had no responsibility in Texas scheme compared to the NFL schemes he would be playing at the next level. Yet, he looked unbelieveable in that Texas Defense with all the talent around him covering him and funneling things to him.

Rey is nowhere near a LB like Aaron Curry. He has ability if he goes to a great defense that might need a Mike, especially BAL if Lewis leaves, and could be a solid NFL pro. However, he is not going to be a guy to rescue a defense anytime soon. Johnson has been joe average in KC's schemes and without elite talent up front he has been marginalized in his effectiveness. Does not mean he can not play, he can, but he is not going to make that team better without help around him that he has not had. Maualuga is that type of player minus the coverage skills and athleticism of Johnson IMHO.

supermanhr9
02-25-2009, 09:07 AM
The people who think Maualuga is going to be a great player are completely overlooking the scheme he played in at USC. He had very little responsibility, had super simple reads and keys (and missed a bunch of them), and his production was severely limited despite everything being funneled to him. Add on top of that, he has 6 NFL draft worthy players playing in the front seven with him and several more on the back end, is not as athletic as people make him out to be, and struggles mightily in space and I am still trying to see where everyone sees this guy as a top level prospect anymore.

I was really high on him last year watching tape of Sedrick Ellis and Fili Moala, but I was not focusing on him specifically, just watching him make some huge plays and fill gaps inside AND outside. That is why I thought he would be a special Mike, he could stuff inside and make plays sideline to sideline. Unfortunately, the guy will struggle mightily on the next level with the passing game and Play action, as he did not have to worry about it at all in USC's defense. He has very little reps at all playing anything but the run or blitzing.

He totally reminds me of Derrick Johnson coming out of Texas. Johnson is MUCH better in coverage than Maualuga, but he had no responsibility in Texas scheme compared to the NFL schemes he would be playing at the next level. Yet, he looked unbelieveable in that Texas Defense with all the talent around him covering him and funneling things to him.

Rey is nowhere near a LB like Aaron Curry. He has ability if he goes to a great defense that might need a Mike, especially BAL if Lewis leaves, and could be a solid NFL pro. However, he is not going to be a guy to rescue a defense anytime soon. Johnson has been joe average in KC's schemes and without elite talent up front he has been marginalized in his effectiveness. Does not mean he can not play, he can, but he is not going to make that team better without help around him that he has not had. Maualuga is that type of player minus the coverage skills and athleticism of Johnson IMHO.

you seem to know a lot more about my future favorite player than I do, I just see that guy and think he's the next Troy polamalu, but then again, picking a sure thing out of the draft is very tough.

Aaron Curry looks unbelievable, but I doubt we get him. How are we going to solve our MLB problem? our of the draft in in FA. I thought Rey Rey was the key until I read your post, you got me thinking now.

vancejohnson82
02-25-2009, 09:33 AM
you seem to know a lot more about my future favorite player than I do, I just see that guy and think he's the next Troy polamalu, but then again, picking a sure thing out of the draft is very tough.

Aaron Curry looks unbelievable, but I doubt we get him. How are we going to solve our MLB problem? our of the draft in in FA. I thought Rey Rey was the key until I read your post, you got me thinking now.

dont let other peopel shape your opinion...there are a lot of people on this board taht are thinking like you....for instance, I think if Rey is there at 12 its a no-brainer

24champ
02-25-2009, 09:36 AM
dont let other peopel shape your opinion...there are a lot of people on this board taht are thinking like you....for instance, I think if Rey is there at 12 its a no-brainer

Superb analysis there Vance!

vancejohnson82
02-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Superb analysis there Vance!

hahaha....its just an attempt to keep someone on the Rey Rey bandwagon...

they are dropping left and right

theAPAOps5
02-25-2009, 04:30 PM

I would trust Mediator on this subject more than ANYONE who posts here.

vancejohnson82
02-25-2009, 04:35 PM
I would trust Mediator on this subject more than ANYONE who posts here.

very true...i often use Mediator's evaluations as a good jumping off point...

but I think he is wrong about Rey

theAPAOps5
02-25-2009, 04:38 PM
very true...i often use Mediator's evaluations as a good jumping off point...

but I think he is wrong about Rey

He is dead spot on actually.

vancejohnson82
02-25-2009, 04:41 PM
He is dead spot on actually.

ok...i forgot that its a forgone conclusion....

you should get on Twitter and let the NFL GMs in on this secret

theAPAOps5
02-25-2009, 04:44 PM

HA bad wording. He is dead spot on all his analysis. As in past analysis. So I don't doubt him one bit. Doesn't mean he is wrong its just that he knows his stuff.

vancejohnson82
02-25-2009, 04:53 PM
HA bad wording. He is dead spot on all his analysis. As in past analysis. So I don't doubt him one bit. Doesn't mean he is wrong its just that he knows his stuff.

im a little sensitive on this issue because it seems like the negative grumblings about Rey are becoming more and more abundant...

my view on the whole analysis would be the complete opposite...I would say Cushing (a NJ kid btw) had the advantage of playi9ng with a guy like Rey...Cushing isnt hte most athletic kid, but he's smart...so he plays his posiition, Rey goes out there and raises hell and they both complement each other very well....

our defense has had a bunch of guys who play their position but they dont PLAY to make PLAYS...if that makes any sense...its always, "well, I had my guy and you had yours, thats why we gave up 6 yards...not bad"

i think we need a game changer on the other side of the ball...we are consistently at the bottom of the league in turnovers (a lot has to do with philosophy) and we never seem to make the opposing team panic on offense..

i just feel like we need a change of pace on defense and he could provide that....

AND ANYONE WHO ARGUES WITH ME IS WRONG

theAPAOps5
02-25-2009, 04:59 PM
To be honest I have no opinion and I don't do the draft research some of the other guys here do. So I go by what they say. Cecil Lammey is really high on the guy and he is another guy I like to read and listen too.

vancejohnson82
02-25-2009, 05:27 PM
To be honest I have no opinion and I don't do the draft research some of the other guys here do. So I go by what they say. Cecil Lammey is really high on the guy and he is another guy I like to read and listen too.

i tend to stay away from the "experts" and rely on this board and some of the college boards to draft my opnion.....

theAPAOps5
02-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Cecil Lammey posts here and his sole purpose is the draft and fantasy football. Other than the only other guy I read is Mayock.

TheChamp24
02-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Rey isn't that good, people who can't see that I just don't know what to say.
If we take him with the 12th pick, a lot of people are going to end up disapointed because he will not be anything special for us.

vancejohnson82
02-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Cecil Lammey posts here and his sole purpose is the draft and fantasy football. Other than the only other guy I read is Mayock.

what is Cecil's PM..

not to like stalk or bother him or whatever, but just so i can read his posts more carefully

Drek
02-26-2009, 04:08 AM

They already know, don't worry.

Hope Rey isn't invited to the green room, otherwise he'll be sitting a long time.

theAPAOps5
02-26-2009, 05:27 AM
what is Cecil's PM..

not to like stalk or bother him or whatever, but just so i can read his posts more carefully

He goes by Cecil Lammey. He isn't active but he comes in and says hi and lets us know when he will be on the radio and stuff.

vancejohnson82
02-26-2009, 06:49 AM
They already know, don't worry.

Hope Rey isn't invited to the green room, otherwise he'll be sitting a long time.

Really???? So I guess I'm the last one to find out that Rey slipped out of the first round, huh???

I've seen one good analysis of his play and then the rest of the Rey hate has just been garbage...

IF we pick up another guy with no fire on that defense, its going to be the same old Denver Broncos Defense company line of "if it ain't my fault, it ain't my problem."

The only guy on our defense that actually goes out of his way to MAKE plays is Champ..and since nobody throws near him, its a near impossibility for him to do so...

Here are our interception rankings the last 4 years:

2008 - 31st
2007 - 23rd
2006 - 13th
2005 - 6th

Here are our fumble forced rankings

2008 - 31st
2007 - 7th
2006 - 6th
2005 - 7th

As you can see there has been a HUGE dropoff in turnovers the last two years....what has changed on our defense in the last two years (other than defensive coordinators???) WE LOST AL WILSON....a playmaker raising hell in the middle of the field....

AL WILSON

Assets :Excellent speed and range. Makes plays from sideline-to-sideline and loves to hit. Solid in coverage.

Flaws :Overpursues on some plays. Doesn't have great size, though he plays like a bigger man.

Now...Rey doesnt have the long distance speed that Al did..but he does have that short area quickness that middle linebackers need....he's a little bigger than Al was but they have one big thing in common:

Both go out and try to make plays while sometimes overpursuing...

Everyone is calling Rey a "playmaker with no mental ability" but Al was the same way

Kaylore
02-26-2009, 07:03 AM
Everyone is calling Rey a "playmaker with no mental ability" but Al was the same way
No, they knew Wilson was good in coverage and had some say in calling the defensive plays.

Rey isn't good in coverage and was used in fewer ways than Wilson. He's starting to look like LaVar Arrington.

I would say Cushing (a NJ kid btw) had the advantage of playi9ng with a guy like Rey...Cushing isnt hte most athletic kid, but he's smart...so he plays his posiition, Rey goes out there and raises hell and they both complement each other very well....

What's funny about this is Cushing finished seventh in the 40, first in the bench press (30), tied for third in the vertical at 35 inches, tied for fourth in the broad jump at 10', first in the three-cone drill (6.84), and fourth in the shuttle. That's six drills where he's at least in the top ten, and five in the top five. And you're saying he's not athletic?

socalorado
02-26-2009, 07:09 AM
No, they knew Wilson was good in coverage and had some say in calling the defensive plays.

Rey isn't good in coverage and was used in fewer ways than Wilson. He's starting to look like LaVar Arrington.

What's funny about this is Cushing finished seventh in the 40, first in the bench press (30), tied for third in the vertical at 35 inches, tied for fourth in the broad jump at 10', first in the three-cone drill (6.84), and fourth in the shuttle. That's six drills where he's at least in the top ten, and five in the top five. And you're saying he's not athletic?

I would rather draft Cushing and C Matthews at this point. I think they would make a solid tandem on the outside of a 3-4 and playing together would motivate them to be even better.
they are both workaholics, and thats just what this team needs.

Beantown Bronco
02-26-2009, 07:12 AM
As you can see there has been a HUGE dropoff in turnovers the last two years....what has changed on our defense in the last two years (other than defensive coordinators???) WE LOST AL WILSON....a playmaker raising hell in the middle of the field....

Let's not forget the very minor point that Dre Bly was literally the only defensive player to start all 16 games last season. They were playing backups most of the season (and those backups, as we are now finding out, were playing behind "starters" that aren't even finding work as backups anywhere else).

Al Wilson was hardly the reason why turnover production has gone in the crapper.

vancejohnson82
02-26-2009, 07:22 AM

1) I am not buying the Arrington comparison....plus the guy was a 3 time Pro Bowler and a 3 time All Pro....and you're saying we couldnt use that on our team? He also ended up playing under a crappy organization who couldnt figure out what direction they were going in and it really hurt his understandign of the scheme...it didnt help that he wasnt smart to begin with

2) there were only 25 linebackers that participated int eh combine...which means I would have taken 26th in all of the events....making me a top 30 performer in the linebacker division...being in the top 10 doesnt really impress me

3) I am impressed by Cushing's shuttle times and his 3 cone drill performance, however...but Rey didnt participate in these ( I dont think) and this would have been his forte

4) my comparison to Rey is Keith Rivers from last year (actually now that I look that is NFL.com's comparison, I must have read it there)....

5) I also have a problem with Cushing and wouldnt want him to be a Bronco ( he went to Bergen Catholic, I went to Don Bosco Prep).....so screw him

vancejohnson82
02-26-2009, 07:24 AM
Also, we are comparing APPLES to ORANGES...

Cushing is an OLB...a position I don't think we should pursue that early in the draft....i think we have guys that can suit the outside well ( I brought i up in the Nolan Scheme Thread)....

We need to go MLB

socalorado
02-26-2009, 07:28 AM
1) I am not buying the Arrington comparison....plus the guy was a 3 time Pro Bowler and a 3 time All Pro....and you're saying we couldnt use that on our team? He also ended up playing under a crappy organization who couldnt figure out what direction they were going in and it really hurt his understandign of the scheme...it didnt help that he wasnt smart to begin with

2) there were only 25 linebackers that participated int eh combine...which means I would have taken 26th in all of the events....making me a top 30 performer in the linebacker division...being in the top 10 doesnt really impress me

3) I am impressed by Cushing's shuttle times and his 3 cone drill performance, however...but Rey didnt participate in these ( I dont think) and this would have been his forte

4) my comparison to Rey is Keith Rivers from last year (actually now that I look that is NFL.com's comparison, I must have read it there)....

5) I also have a problem with Cushing and wouldnt want him to be a Bronco ( he went to Bergen Catholic, I went to Don Bosco Prep).....so screw him

If REY has a super star pro day, then his stock will go back up, but i am a little disappointed in his general attitude lately. He showed up at the Senior bowl outta shape, then turned it on and did very well, then got injured with the hammy. If he wasnt outta shape at the senior bowl, we wouldnt be wondering about his combine shuttle. Which tells everyone that he isnt taking this aspect of the process seriously. Which is immature.

Look at Cushing and CMatthews! These guys are absolutely dead set psycho serious! They are so involved in every single part of the physical and mental aspects of the game and they havent even been drafted! They have OVERprefomed and are just getting warmed up to really turn it up when they get to their respective teams.
Thats what i am looking for in a possible prospect. A guy who is already prepared to overachieve from day 1 .
REY REY has some work to do. hes behind as of right now.

socalorado
02-26-2009, 07:30 AM
Also, we are comparing APPLES to ORANGES...

Cushing is an OLB...a position I don't think we should pursue that early in the draft....i think we have guys that can suit the outside well ( I brought i up in the Nolan Scheme Thread)....

We need to go MLB

Cushing has played inside linebacker many times. I have watched his entire career. He easily can play ILB in the NFL in a 3-4. He also played DE his freshman year, and did quite well.
When REY was injured Carrol moved Cushing to inside and USC didnt miss a beat.

Kaylore
02-26-2009, 07:38 AM
Arrington has the football IQ of a piece of chalk and is out of football. He played for two teams who knew how to coach and washed out. His all-pro and pro bowls were a result of hype and playing on an east coast team.

2) there were only 25 linebackers that participated int eh combine...which means I would have taken 26th in all of the events....making me a top 30 performer in the linebacker division...being in the top 10 doesnt really impress meLOL Oh ok. So should we just use the other five events when he was in the top five or did that not impress you either? Are you saying that the 25 linebackers at the combine weren't athletic and finishing in the top of that group in speed and agility drills doesn't prove Cushing is athletic?

Rey-Rey ran a 4.83.

Keith Rivers sucks too.

LOL Well at least we know you're being rational about this.

no-pseudo-fan
02-26-2009, 07:48 AM
I miss last year's debates. This is infinitely tougher decision than last year. Clady was a "no duh" choice, and Shanny's 2nd option was Stewart and that would've been good too.

This year......IDK!!!!!

Rey- looks like a beast on the field, and that is where it counts, but has really been underwhelming lately.

Cushing- also looks like a beast on the field, has had a solid off season, but has had injury problem.

After that what, the remaining top defenders should be gone- Orakpo, Curry, and Raji. Jenkins is slow. I don't trust V Davis. Trading down may be the best option, which I would hate to do. I don't like the 1st round RB's as much as I liked Stewart last year, we have no need for OT, WR, TE, or QB help with that 1st pick. Do you really want to draft a 5 Tech DE with the first pick? Or a conversion DE/LB? I am very concerned about our pick this year, and with no prior history to fall back on, I have no idea which way we will go.

Mediator12
02-26-2009, 07:52 AM
Here is the latest profile by Nolan Nawrocki of Pro football weekly:

LB Rey Maualuga
USC senior
Ht: 6-1 7⁄8; Wt: 254; 40-time: 4.75 (est.)

Upside: Thickly built. Extremely strong at the point. Physical, blow-up tackler. Plays square to the line. Steps downhill fast and strikes with authority. Good take-on strength. Quick to diagnose. Uses hands well to disengage. Intense. Shuffles, slides and generally plays with bent knees. Light on his feet for as big as he is. Keeps a huddle loose.

Downside: Tight hips. Lacks lateral agility and is not fluid dropping in coverage. Can be exposed in space. Can be overly aggressive, overrun the ball and be fooled by misdirection. Takes some questionable angles. Weight has fluctuated. A lot of his production comes laterally instead of downhill. Did not play much man coverage and can be outquicked by fast backs.

The way we see it: A big, naturally strong, fearless striker who runs through contact, Maualuga should start from Day One as a true “Mike” and bring a presence. Said to have matured after losing his father as a freshman but still requires extra monitoring and has shown questionable judgment. Would be best in a strong locker room where teammates hold him accountable. Like Junior Seau, he can be inconsistent with reads and take some costly gambles seeking big plays, but he still can be a dominating force in the middle.

The bolded part scares me, because DEN does NOT have a strong locker room anymore. Rey needs to go to a team with strong leaders and be a part of the team, not a leader right away. The kid is a natural old school MLB who would be best in an already strong defense. He still scares me with his lack of making simple reads and being exposed in coverage at the next level.

vancejohnson82
02-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Arrington has the football IQ of a piece of chalk and is out of football. He played for two teams who knew how to coach and washed out. His all-pro and pro bowls were a result of hype and playing on an east coast team.
LOL Oh ok. So should we just use the other five events when he was in the top five or did that not impress you either? Are you saying that the 25 linebackers at the combine weren't athletic and finishing in the top of that group in speed and agility drills doesn't prove Cushing is athletic?

Rey-Rey ran a 4.83.

Keith Rivers sucks too.

LOL Well at least we know you're being rational about this.

I thought Rey ran a 4.83 40 yard dash??? Are you getting information that I'm not privy too??? because that would be unfair...kinda like using the "Search" function to blow up people's arguments...:)

Keith Rivers only played in 7 games and was pretty effective....he would have been one of the best players on the field for our defense...and he also would have fit in because we coudl have hyped him up for 7 games and then watched him get carted off with a broken jaw...

All I'm saying is that Cushing and those Bergen Catholic jerk-offs do ridiculous off-season training regimes taht make them beasts with numbers and whatnot...

they run with parachutes on their backs, do all the cone drills and shuttles to death and are constantly trying to get these numbers up...he's been doing combines since freshmen year of high school....

i'm not even goign to talk abotu what goes on in the showers with these Bergen Catholic dudes either....this is a family board

no-pseudo-fan
02-26-2009, 08:02 AM
I miss those bone jarring hits that Wilson and Lynch use to lay down. I think Rey can be that. I heard that Rey was the leader in the Senior Bowl practices for the Defense, so.....I still don't know/

Kaylore
02-26-2009, 08:12 AM
I thought Rey ran a 4.83 40 yard dash??? Are you getting information that I'm not privy too??? because that would be unfair...kinda like using the "Search" function to blow up people's arguments...:)

Keith Rivers only played in 7 games and was pretty effective....he would have been one of the best players on the field for our defense...and he also would have fit in because we coudl have hyped him up for 7 games and then watched him get carted off with a broken jaw...

All I'm saying is that Cushing and those Bergen Catholic jerk-offs do ridiculous off-season training regimes taht make them beasts with numbers and whatnot...

they run with parachutes on their backs, do all the cone drills and shuttles to death and are constantly trying to get these numbers up...he's been doing combines since freshmen year of high school....

i'm not even goign to talk abotu what goes on in the showers with these Bergen Catholic dudes either....this is a family board

Rey ran a 4.83 40. My point was his numbers don't look too good.

And basically you're argument against Cushing is that he trains hard to meet his goals and went to a school you hate. And now you're accusing him of bathroom sodomy. Come on.

Cushing might or might not be a workout wonder. We really won't know until after the draft, but his production on the field suggests he can play. All I was saying was your argument that he isn't athletic doesn't hold water. There are several different types of agility and speed drills he did very well in that suggest he's one of the best athletes in the country.

And if you don't think every single player at the combine hasn't trained to get their drill numbers good in some measure, you have to be crazy. running with a resistance chute is very common.

vancejohnson82
02-26-2009, 08:17 AM

And basically you're argument against Cushing is that he trains hard to meet his goals and went to a school you hate. And now you're accusing him of bathroom sodomy. Come on.

Cushing might or might not be a workout wonder. We really won't know until after the draft, but his production on the field suggests he can play. All I was saying was your argument that he isn't athletic doesn't hold water. There are several different types of agility and speed drills he did very well in that suggest he's one of the best athletes in the country.

And if you don't think every single player at the combine hasn't trained to get their drill numbers good in some measure, you have to be crazy. running with a resistance chute is very common.

First of all, the jokes about BC were just making light of the conversation...

you think I'm serious about dissing a guy for working hard in the off-season?? that was MUCHO tongue-in-cheek

my point with the shuttle and the 3 cone drill times were that those shoudl have been REY REY's strong events but he didnt get to participate in them....he's not a straight away runner, and we know that....hes a quick burst type of guy who can cut quick....

Sorry for any sodomy type of humor that may have offended anyone....

socalorado
02-26-2009, 08:21 AM

We all know Cushing can play. he played the entire season and was stellar in all aspects. He dominated at his position. Its if he's at his ceiling or not that is the question. Is he going to get better? Or is this as good as it gets. I think he gets better simply cause hes a smart guy who wants to. He will work harder.
I really like the thought of having Nolan coach Cushing and CMatthews. Those 2 with him i think is a good fit.
All players have downsides and the concern now to me with REY is a maturity issue. He should have been doing these same methods that Cushing and CMatthews have been doing all along!

Kaylore
02-26-2009, 09:04 AM
First of all, the jokes about BC were just making light of the conversation...

you think I'm serious about dissing a guy for working hard in the off-season?? that was MUCHO tongue-in-cheek

my point with the shuttle and the 3 cone drill times were that those shoudl have been REY REY's strong events but he didnt get to participate in them....he's not a straight away runner, and we know that....hes a quick burst type of guy who can cut quick....

Sorry for any sodomy type of humor that may have offended anyone....
I thought it was hilarious but I just thought you were a hater.

vancejohnson82
02-26-2009, 09:16 AM
I thought it was hilarious but I just thought you were a hater.

Oh, don't get me wrong...I'm a total HATER....

but there's a difference between someone who can admit that they are a hater and someone that denies it....its like admitting you have an alcohol problem but still drinking anyway

oubronco
02-26-2009, 09:31 AM
Here is the latest profile by Nolan Nawrocki of Pro football weekly:

The bolded part scares me, because DEN does NOT have a strong locker room anymore. Rey needs to go to a team with strong leaders and be a part of the team, not a leader right away. The kid is a natural old school MLB who would be best in an already strong defense. He still scares me with his lack of making simple reads and being exposed in coverage at the next level.

they would if they got Ray Lewis