PDA

View Full Version : Even the mid-tier FA's too pricey for Broncos?

eddie mac
02-24-2009, 01:36 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11770456

INDIANAPOLIS — There is the national economy, and there is the NFL's free-agent market.

One is sagging; the other is roaring. One guess as to which is which.

The Broncos are not allowed to directly discuss contracts with any impending free agents until the 2009 player market opens at 10:01 p.m. MST on Thursday. But general discussion among agents and league executives in the hotel lobbies at the NFL scouting combine, a seven-day event that ends today, suggests either the Broncos are greatly underestimating the value of the so-called second-tier, free-agent players, or agents are greatly overestimating the worth of their second-tier clients.

Most likely, there is truth in both.

Still, by the second week of March, the Broncos are expected to add seven or eight free-agent players. Their needs: a starting cornerback, one or two safeties, a nose tackle, one or two defensive ends, one or two linebackers, a No. 3-type receiver, a backup quarterback and possibly a running back.

That's all.
Here's a closer look.

• Cornerback: The market-setter was the $22.5 million guarantee Indianapolis used to re-sign Kelvin Hayden. Now, St. Louis' Ronald Bartell, Atlanta's Domonique Foxworth and Miami's Andre Goodman are seeking huge contracts. The Broncos, who traded Foxworth for a seventh-round draft pick before the 2008 season, may seek the more affordable Bryant McFadden or Phillip Buchanon, if he doesn't re-sign with Tampa Bay.

• Nose tackle: Grady Jackson and Colin Cole are seeking significant deals. New England's Mike Wright would be affordable and could help teach the 3-4 techniques to Broncos' linemen.

• No. 2 quarterback: The Broncos unsuccessfully attempted to negotiate a contract extension last summer with veteran Patrick Ramsey. While Ramsey prepares to enter the open market, the Broncos will want to bring in another quarterback, either in the draft's later rounds or in free agency, to compete with Darrell Hackney for the role as Jay Cutler's backup. A trade for New England's Matt Cassel would appear to be too pricey.

The free-agent backup class includes Ryan Fitzpatrick, Dan Orlovsky, J.P. Losman and Kyle Boller.

• Safeties: Miami is trying to re-sign Yeremiah Bell, which could leave the New York Giants' James Butler and New England's James Sanders as possibilities.

• Linebackers: There is a need for both an inside and an outside linebacker. Among the free agents available are Monty Beisel, Clark Haggans, Andra Davis and Rosevelt Colvin.

• Defensive ends: The top 3-4 defensive ends, Chris Canty and Igor Olshansky, probably are too expensive.

• No. 3 receiver: It's easy to look at the offensive system Broncos coach Josh McDaniels coordinated in New England the past two seasons and see Eddie Royal playing the slot role of the Patriots' Wes Welker.

If Royal moves inside, veteran Brandon Stokley could become a No. 4/swing receiver while the Broncos seek an outside receiver. The trick is finding an affordable veteran who will rebound from a disappointing season.

• Running back: Derrick Ward likely has priced himself beyond the Broncos' budget. McDaniels may rely on ever-reliable running backs coach Bobby Turner to find another late- round gem in the draft.

Killericon
02-24-2009, 01:50 AM
Nothing about that implies that they're "too pricey", just that the FO might not have a grasp on the market for players this year...Which is fair, since I don't think anyone does.

eddie mac
02-24-2009, 02:00 AM
Nothing about that implies that they're "too pricey", just that the FO might not have a grasp on the market for players this year...Which is fair, since I don't think anyone does.

The whole article implies that and writers on both papers have been reiterating that fact for the last month.

I dont think we'll do anything till the prices start coming down and IMHO that's probably for the best.

We'll miss a lot of guys but they'll be getting heavily overpaid anyway. As long as Marshall, Kuper, Scheffler and even Doom if he fits the system are taken care off I dont really think much of the overpriced talent that's out there anyway.

You only have to look at some of the names listed in the upper echelon of FA's left at certain positions.

Canty/Olshansky as the best 3-4 ends available. Canty is average at best while Igor has played like a turd the last 2 years in San Diego.

Meanwhile at CB you've a player who didn't do **** for 3 seasons in a Bronco uniform, then all of a sudden after having 5-6 good games in Atlanta he's looking Kelvin Hayden money. It's laughable and I hope we stay well to **** out of it.

Broncojef
02-24-2009, 02:08 AM
We've got lots of money under the cap, a day ago we read that McD was about to go on a spending spree...I wish these guys would get on the same page. I think theres some solid mid-grade talent that the Broncos will jump on myself. If we can't afford mid-grade guys being $40 Mill under when will we ever see another Free Agent signing in Denver?

Killericon
02-24-2009, 02:25 AM
The whole article implies that and writers on both papers have been reiterating that fact for the last month.

I dont think we'll do anything till the prices start coming down and IMHO that's probably for the best.

We'll miss a lot of guys but they'll be getting heavily overpaid anyway. As long as Marshall, Kuper, Scheffler and even Doom if he fits the system are taken care off I dont really think much of the overpriced talent that's out there anyway.

You only have to look at some of the names listed in the upper echelon of FA's left at certain positions.

Canty/Olshansky as the best 3-4 ends available. Canty is average at best while Igor has played like a turd the last 2 years in San Diego.

Meanwhile at CB you've a player who didn't do **** for 3 seasons in a Bronco uniform, then all of a sudden after having 5-6 good games in Atlanta he's looking Kelvin Hayden money. It's laughable and I hope we stay well to **** out of it.

Fair enough. I just continually find myself stuggling to believe that the Broncos can be in financial trouble. Just out of curiosity, why does everyone seem to think we need a new #3 receiver? Does Stokely not fit into McDaniel's system or something?

Jens1893
02-24-2009, 02:46 AM
Klis was bored, didn´t know what to write and had to get an article out, so he just had a quick look at the needs, the available FA´s and ... voilá there you have your article without having to do much research. He might be right, but I expected way more when I saw the headline and the article is unsubstantial, at best.

elsid13
02-24-2009, 02:50 AM
Fair enough. I just continually find myself stuggling to believe that the Broncos can be in financial trouble. Just out of curiosity, why does everyone seem to think we need a new #3 receiver? Does Stokely not fit into McDaniel's system or something?

Everyone appears to believe that Denver will run exact carbon copy of the NE passing attack, and Royal will fill the role of Wes Walker (slot WR only). I personally believe that we will see a slight different offense from New England and it will be more like Carolinas, New Orleans or Dallas with more power running, two te sets and with the spread throw in.

eddie mac
02-24-2009, 03:04 AM
We've got lots of money under the cap, a day ago we read that McD was about to go on a spending spree...I wish these guys would get on the same page. I think theres some solid mid-grade talent that the Broncos will jump on myself. If we can't afford mid-grade guys being $40 Mill under when will we ever see another Free Agent signing in Denver?

He has to go on a spending spree of that there's no doubt unless he intends running a defense with the like of Nic Clemons, Carlton Powell, Vernon Fox and Jack Williams starting.:rofl:

IMHO though the spending spree will be more in terms of quantity of free agents rather than quality. The Broncos have never entered any period I can remember with more holes on one side of the ball.

The problem is that the pool has been decimated with the tagging process (like every year I know) but we're changing to system which is still light in terms of available personnel in this league and we're doing it in a year when 2 other teams are performing a similar move.

This hikes prices up for very average 3-4 prototypes like Canty/Olshansky and I dont believe Bowlen will pull the trigger on major $$ into those guys pockets.

Just my thoughts on it.

BMarsh615
02-24-2009, 03:08 AM
Bowlen wants to win. He will pony up the cash if the players are worth the money.

Drek
02-24-2009, 03:59 AM
Klis is crazy if he thinks the NFL FA signing period will be "roaring".

We saw last year that outside of the big name guys a lot of mid-tier guys took deals well below what they expected/wanted entering free agency. It'll be even more prominent this year.

Haynesworth will get paid. If Peppers moves on he'll get paid. Other than that a lot of guys are going to be very disapointed when the market doesn't bring them a huge deal.

MechanicalBull
02-24-2009, 04:18 AM
• No. 2 quarterback: The Broncos unsuccessfully attempted to negotiate a contract extension last summer with veteran Patrick Ramsey. While Ramsey prepares to enter the open market, the Broncos will want to bring in another quarterback, either in the draft's later rounds or in free agency, to compete with Darrell Hackney for the role as Jay Cutler's backup. A trade for New England's Matt Cassel would appear to be too pricey.

It's so idiotic of Klis to even think they'd try to trade for Cassel to be a back up.

backup qb
02-24-2009, 04:32 AM
It's so idiotic of Klis to even think they'd try to trade for Cassel to be a back up.

No kidding. I about spit out my coffee as I read that. Oh wait, Kiper said Cassell is better than Cutler so that must mean.....

Hammer
02-24-2009, 04:36 AM
A trade for New England's Matt Cassel would appear to be too pricey.

Gee, ya think?

Broncoman13
02-24-2009, 04:53 AM

What ??????

hades
02-24-2009, 05:24 AM
A trade for New England's Matt Cassel would appear to be too pricey.

Gee, ya think?

LMAO, like he would even be considered in Denver.

SoDak Bronco
02-24-2009, 05:48 AM
i think it will be best to sit back and wait, we dont need to overpay for any of those guys...long term it will be best for denver

socalorado
02-24-2009, 06:00 AM
Klis grasping for a story where there is none.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-24-2009, 06:10 AM

Shouldn't have taken until the 11th post for someone to bring this up IMO. Kind of makes the whole article look shoddy because Klis actually decided to throw something that has 0 chance of happening like this out there as a possibility.

Popcorn Sutton
02-24-2009, 06:17 AM

My thoughts exactly... this blew the whole article up. Waste of time!

Meck77
02-24-2009, 06:22 AM
The big money owners are going to spend their way to top. The guys that have taken hits in this market and aren't as liquid are hoping for FA pricing to adjust. Why wouldn't they? EVERYTHING is searching for a market price....Houses, stocks, land, gold, rentals, cost of any other good you can think of. Why the hell would FA's pricing be any different folks?

brncs_fan
02-24-2009, 06:31 AM
Any chance that we could get the FA's to Colorado and then just claim them on eminent domain?

Meck77
02-24-2009, 06:36 AM
Any chance that we could get the FA's to Colorado and then just claim them on eminent domain?

LOL Never thought anyone could make a joke out of eminent domain. Good stuff.

bowtown
02-24-2009, 07:01 AM
The Broncos, who traded Foxworth for a seventh-round draft pick before the 2008 season, may seek the more affordable Bryant McFadden or Phillip Buchanon, if he doesn't re-sign with Tampa Bay.

But Woody Paige said Buchanon would get franchised by Tampa Bay!!! ROFL! For a town so centered around football, we sure get the crappiest writers. Come back Adam Schefter!

montrose
02-24-2009, 07:01 AM
I'm interested to see what happens when these guys hit the market. Cap room is at a real high but cash may be at a low around the league. I'm not sure if I buy that all of these guys will be out of our price range but I don't see it as inconceivable we could find plenty of nice depth guys at an affordable price. The main positions I think need to be addressed from a starters capacity in free agency are S and CB as we're likely to go front 7 early in the draft. Playing CB opposite Champ takes a veteran mentality and willingness to be accept some failure while there are so many safeties available and considering it's a relatively underpaid position there's no reason we shouldn't grab two starters. On the front-7, I think we're looking at guys who know the 3-4 and can come in and be rotational. If we're going to spend on one position there it's probably going to be NT as their aren't too many available in the draft.

Pricing ourselves very low, I think an offseason that nets something like James Sanders, Jermaine Phillips, Bryant McFadden, Mike Wright, Ron Fields, Rosie Colvin, Andra Davis, J.T. O'Sullivan and Jabar Gaffney isn't totally unrealistic. At least it would restock our depth chart heading into the draft.

Kaylore
02-24-2009, 07:19 AM
The problem is the renob's of the league in Al Davis and Dan Snyder. It's so easy to get their ego involved that they overpay for guys and only end up cutting off their noses to spite their face. 30 teams might agree to a player's value and it only takes one team to come in and start bidding them up to more than they're worth. The good news is it doesn't alwayd artificially inflate the market, but sometimes it does. Adam Archuleta and Javon Walker were among the highest paid players at their position in the whole league thanks to the idiocy of Oakland and Washington. In the case of safeties it didn't affect the value. It did have a ripple effect for receivers that year, though.

We'll see how it all goes. Demand drives price and it's a foregone conclusion you overpay for free agents. This will be the first test of our new front office.

bowtown
02-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Pricing ourselves very low, I think an offseason that nets something like James Sanders, Jermaine Phillips, Bryant McFadden, Mike Wright, Ron Fields, Rosie Colvin, Andra Davis, J.T. O'Sullivan and Jabar Gaffney isn't totally unrealistic. At least it would restock our depth chart heading into the draft.

Nice list. I would be happy with this, though I'd ratehr see us grab a young guy late in the draft for our backup QB.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-24-2009, 08:25 AM
Shouldn't have taken until the 11th post for someone to bring this up IMO. Kind of makes the whole article look shoddy because Klis actually decided to throw something that has 0 chance of happening like this out there as a possibility.

Honestly, I think it's a preemptive strike by Klis. His inbox is probably filled with messages from morons who think that the idea of us trading for Cassell is actually possible, or even probable. There are some DUMB ASSES that call themselves NFL fans.

baja
02-24-2009, 08:34 AM
But Woody Paige said Buchanon would get franchised by Tampa Bay!!! ROFL! For a town so centered around football, we sure get the crappiest writers. Come back Adam Schefter!

3/4 of the posters here wanted to lynch Adam when he was writing for the DPO. They hounded him mercilessly about the food bag the mail bag and anything he wrote.

eddie mac
02-24-2009, 08:35 AM

Yeah over the past few months the only info I've taken with a pinch of salt has been from Klis (bar the Cassel remark), Legwold or Rasizer.

Even Burger Bill lost the plot with his last article stating Bly's release would save near $7m on our cap. It actually cost an additional $2.6m

SonOfLe-loLang
02-24-2009, 08:48 AM
It's kind of funny that Klis pretty much goes through every position and, despite tons of cap room and McDaniels' claim that they'll go aggressively after a guy if he fits, thinks we're only gonna come away with Monty Beisel and the like. It just makes little sense. I'm sure, if they really loved Igor Olshansky, he'd be affordable in this market.

I'll say this right now, if the Broncos sign eight third tier free agents, they aren't doing themselves any favors. I'd rather have 3-4 second or first tier ones, all things being equal. The difference between some of these veteren back ups and a rookie probably isnt all that much. Plus, being around good players helps young, inexperienced guys to become better players (look at the patriots and celtics). Be smart about this denver...go get a few good players rather than 8 mediocre ones.

WyoLaw
02-24-2009, 08:52 AM
Honestly, I think it's a preemptive strike by Klis. His inbox is probably filled with messages from morons who think that the idea of us trading for Cassell is actually possible, or even probable. There are some DUMB ASSES that call themselves NFL fans.

Yeah right. Klis is second rate, as all Bronco reporters have been since Shefter's departure. The Post has terrible Bronco coverage, The News is maybe a percentage point or two better.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-24-2009, 08:55 AM

I do agree with this. I'm a native New Yorker, and cant stand NY fans most of the time, but i will say they are knowledgable as compared to others (evident when listening to sports talk radio). I've read, as im sure you all have to, some painful mailbags in the denver papers over the years that just show a clear lack of any sort of football knowledge.

socalorado
02-24-2009, 08:56 AM
It's kind of funny that Klis pretty much goes through every position and, despite tons of cap room and McDaniels' claim that they'll go aggressively after a guy if he fits, thinks we're only gonna come away with Monty Beisel and the like. It just makes little sense. I'm sure, if they really loved Igor Olshansky, he'd be affordable in this market.

I'll say this right now, if the Broncos sign eight third tier free agents, they aren't doing themselves any favors. I'd rather have 3-4 second or first tier ones, all things being equal. The difference between some of these veteren back ups and a rookie probably isnt all that much. Plus, being around good players helps young, inexperienced guys to become better players (look at the patriots and celtics). Be smart about this denver...go get a few good players rather than 8 mediocre ones.

I agree.
Didnt DEN just release 8 mediocre players that they signed as FA? Yeah, that worked out well!:rofl:

OrangeRising
02-24-2009, 09:05 AM
I like the articles he writes. I get to read them about three days after everyone else because my paper is mailed out here to Ohio, but, compared to some of the writers for the rags around here, it looks like Nobel-level composition to me. Every year, everyone here thinks the Browns have turned it around and it's Super Bowl time, baby. The coffee shop NFL experts get very angry when I remind them they've never been to one and Denver is a major reason why. haha. The Cassel comment does seem a bit silly, but otherwise, I appreciate Klis listing the possibilities for Bronco FA acquisitions.

TheChamp24
02-24-2009, 09:13 AM
This is the crappiest piece of **** I've read in a long time. I want to print this article out and go wipe with it.
Trade for Cassel?
Too pricey?
For ****s sake, we have cap room to sign anybody and it isn't going to be like these guys are commanding $10 mil a year contracts.
I want to stab someone now after reading this, it infuriated my rage.

vancejohnson82
02-24-2009, 09:16 AM
these writers are borderline absurd....

first, we had Woody Paige who was claming that Philip Buchanon might be franchised by the Bucs

now we have the big news that Denver bringing in Matt Cassel to be a backup might be a bit pricey...

totally ridiculous

TonyR
02-24-2009, 09:28 AM
. I get to read them about three days after everyone else because my paper is mailed out here to Ohio...

You do know you can read them online for free and don't have to wait 3 days, right?

OrangeRising
02-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Yes, I do know that, and I do that when I have time, but home time is something I don't have a lot of these days. Besides, I really enjoy sitting down and taking in three or four days of Broncos news at one time after I accumulate several papers. It just takes me home is all. On-line newspapers articles seem a little sterile for some reason.

Tombstone RJ
02-24-2009, 09:39 AM

INDIANAPOLIS — There is the national economy, and there is the NFL's free-agent market.

One is sagging; the other is roaring. One guess as to which is which.

The Broncos are not allowed to directly discuss contracts with any impending free agents until the 2009 player market opens at 10:01 p.m. MST on Thursday. But general discussion among agents and league executives in the hotel lobbies at the NFL scouting combine, a seven-day event that ends today, suggests either the Broncos are greatly underestimating the value of the so-called second-tier, free-agent players, or agents are greatly overestimating the worth of their second-tier clients.

Most likely, there is truth in both.

Still, by the second week of March, the Broncos are expected to add seven or eight free-agent players. Their needs: a starting cornerback, one or two safeties, a nose tackle, one or two defensive ends, one or two linebackers, a No. 3-type receiver, a backup quarterback and possibly a running back.

That's all.
Here's a closer look.

• Cornerback: The market-setter was the $22.5 million guarantee Indianapolis used to re-sign Kelvin Hayden. Now, St. Louis' Ronald Bartell, Atlanta's Domonique Foxworth and Miami's Andre Goodman are seeking huge contracts. The Broncos, who traded Foxworth for a seventh-round draft pick before the 2008 season, may seek the more affordable Bryant McFadden or Phillip Buchanon, if he doesn't re-sign with Tampa Bay.

• Nose tackle: Grady Jackson and Colin Cole are seeking significant deals. New England's Mike Wright would be affordable and could help teach the 3-4 techniques to Broncos' linemen.

The free-agent backup class includes Ryan Fitzpatrick, Dan Orlovsky, J.P. Losman and Kyle Boller.

• Safeties: Miami is trying to re-sign Yeremiah Bell, which could leave the New York Giants' James Butler and New England's James Sanders as possibilities.

• Linebackers: There is a need for both an inside and an outside linebacker. Among the free agents available are Monty Beisel, Clark Haggans, Andra Davis and Rosevelt Colvin.

• Defensive ends: The top 3-4 defensive ends, Chris Canty and Igor Olshansky, probably are too expensive.

• No. 3 receiver: It's easy to look at the offensive system Broncos coach Josh McDaniels coordinated in New England the past two seasons and see Eddie Royal playing the slot role of the Patriots' Wes Welker.

If Royal moves inside, veteran Brandon Stokley could become a No. 4/swing receiver while the Broncos seek an outside receiver. The trick is finding an affordable veteran who will rebound from a disappointing season.

• Running back: Derrick Ward likely has priced himself beyond the Broncos' budget. McDaniels may rely on ever-reliable running backs coach Bobby Turner to find another late- round gem in the draft.

If Andra Davis doesn't want a butt load of money, he's the only guy on the above list I'd like to see on the team for 2009, and that is saying alot since I'm a Spencer Larsen fan.

I think Xanders/McD need to focus on the draft and get as much value as possible and hopefully, a blue chip NT for the 3-4. The Broncos have enough picks to trade up into the top 10 to get the second best defensive lineman on the board. I'm ok with that.

However, the rest of the draft should be focused on safety, corner back, running back and quarterback (way down the line).

I'd prefer a ligit RB be taken on the first day, but I also want a ligit safety taken on the first day. My opinion is that there is more value at the RB position in rounds 2-3 than safety, but I could be wrong.

As for CB, I really don't want the Broncos to use a first day pick on CB. I'd prefer they get a CB and QB in the later rounds to develop.

eddie mac
02-24-2009, 09:47 AM
This is the crappiest piece of **** I've read in a long time. I want to print this article out and go wipe with it.
Trade for Cassel?
Too pricey?
For ****s sake, we have cap room to sign anybody and it isn't going to be like these guys are commanding $10 mil a year contracts.
I want to stab someone now after reading this, it infuriated my rage.

The cap room doesn't seem to be the issue but we'll see in 2-3 weeks time how much cash Bowlen has pumped in.

Atlas
02-24-2009, 09:48 AM

It's not just the cap it's the amount of money being sent. Bowlen has to Pay Shanny $7 million this year along with all the other assistants he fired this year. That will have a huge affect on the Broncos pocketbooks.

Beantown Bronco
02-24-2009, 10:02 AM
The Broncos have enough picks to trade up into the top 10 to get the second best defensive lineman on the board. I'm ok with that.

I'd prefer a ligit RB be taken on the first day, but I also want a ligit safety taken on the first day.

Considering the first day is only two rounds now, it's gonna be pretty tough for them to trade up for a top 10 DLineman pick, and select a RB and a safety all within the first two rounds.

Tombstone RJ
02-24-2009, 10:04 AM
It's not just the cap it's the amount of money being sent. Bowlen has to Pay Shanny $7 million this year along with all the other assistants he fired this year. That will have a huge affect on the Broncos pocketbooks.

Yup. Bowlen has the cap room if you crunch the numbers. But he's also paying Shanny and company alot of money.

In essence, I believe the team will sign a few key FAs. But, it's not gonna be like when Shanny came to town in 1994-95 and the team started signing a boat load of quality FAs.

Theres reasons for this. One, is 1994-95-96 were the fledgling years for free agency and alot of teams were spending money on FAs. We've now learned that spending money on high priced FAs does not always translate to wins. Two, Bowlen has already cut back on spending for football operations. He's acknowledged that he just does not have the capitol to be spending on the facilities, the staff, the coaches and the players.

I can see Xanders signing perhaps 3 FAs on defense, if the price is right.

Also, you have to remember the collective bargaining agreement is in a transitional phase for 2010 and many FAs are trying to cash in now, and rightly so....

Tombstone RJ
02-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Considering the first day is only two rounds now, it's gonna be pretty tough for them to trade up for a top 10 DLineman pick, and select a RB and a safety all within the first two rounds.

FUUUUUG! I forgot about that...

gyldenlove
02-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Klis is head and shoulders above a lot of the beat writers around the nation, that doesn't take much though.

I am not sure of the premise of this latest piece. I am sure we will be a little more responsible in terms of who we spend money on, but I don't think we will systematically eliminate all the top options because of salary demands.

kdissette
02-24-2009, 10:19 AM
i would like to see us swing a trade with philly for lito sheppard. He was looking to get out and just wanted to go to a team where he could play. I think we fit the bill and if we sign him to a 2yr deal or even 1yr he would be able to get his dollars up if he proves himself and would be open for a huge payday if he hit FA in a couple years. I doubt this happens but it would be nice.

socalorado
02-24-2009, 10:23 AM
i would like to see us swing a trade with philly for lito sheppard. He was looking to get out and just wanted to go to a team where he could play. I think we fit the bill and if we sign him to a 2yr deal or even 1yr he would be able to get his dollars up if he proves himself and would be open for a huge payday if he hit FA in a couple years. I doubt this happens but it would be nice.

Thats actually not a bad idea. PHIL could move up in the draft to #12, and get the OT they need, and DEN could move back to #21 and pick up Lito. Get Cushing at #21. Phil keeps its other 1st rounder. Not bad.

montrose
02-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Klis is head and shoulders above a lot of the beat writers around the nation, that doesn't take much though.

I thought Lee Raizer was okay.

Garcia Bronco
02-24-2009, 10:31 AM
We should have just kept the players we had since McDaniels is a better coach than Mike Shanahan.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-24-2009, 10:48 AM
We should have just kept the players we had since McDaniels is a better coach than Mike Shanahan.

You're two seconds away from yelling at kids to get off your lawn.

BroncoMan4ever
02-24-2009, 11:53 AM
i don't think it is that they are too pricey, i think it is just the team doesn't think these guys are worth big money deals that they are wanting.

i mean seriously, Foxworth is expecting a big payday. he was a decent Nickle Back, but he is not deserving of a big deal.

Kaylore
02-24-2009, 11:58 AM
i don't think it is that they are too pricey, i think it is just the team doesn't think these guys are worth big money deals that they are wanting.

i mean seriously, Foxworth is expecting a big payday. he was a decent Nickle Back, but he is not deserving of a big deal.

I want the Raiders to sign him for $25 Million.

UberBroncoMan
02-24-2009, 12:02 PM

I stopped giving any kind of serious attention to the article when I read that and saw their safety chatter... there are so many other safety's than the ones he listed "Wilson" etc.

Overall, stupid article.

Inkana7
02-24-2009, 01:54 PM

Those players getting cut proves that he is a better coach than Mike Shanahan.

ward63
02-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Shanahan is a great coach, just a TERRIBLE GM

Tombstone RJ
02-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Shanahan is a great coach, just a TERRIBLE GM

Oh, the good ole days. Yes, I'll miss these types of statments...:rofl:

CoBear23
02-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Everyone appears to believe that Denver will run exact carbon copy of the NE passing attack, and Royal will fill the role of Wes Walker (slot WR only). I personally believe that we will see a slight different offense from New England and it will be more like Carolinas, New Orleans or Dallas with more power running, two te sets and with the spread throw in.

I agree that Royal is the ideal slot receiver in McDaniels offense. Just out of curiosity, where did the idea of us going with a power running game/ two TE sets come from?

New England ran a zone blocking scheme similar to Denver's, not to mention our offensive line-men are suited to a zone-blocking scheme since they are lighter and more athletic than the average NFL lineman.

Denver might be running the ball a higher percentage of plays this year, that does not mean that we will be switching to a power running game.

Bob
02-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Bowlen wants to win. He will pony up the cash if the players are worth the money.

I think so, but I dont see him going after the top guys who will be over-paid, and relative to the cash, will likely disapoint. We simply have too many needs at this point.

Popps
02-24-2009, 11:49 PM
It's a valid consideration.

I'm usually all for making a splash on at least one talented defensive FA and paying top dollar if need be. But, this really is a marginal class of free agents.
We could certainly do some damage with the right pick-ups, but none of these guys are worth breaking the bank on.

There just weren't enough top-tier guys out there, and it got thinner in a hurry. If someone like Rogers shakes loose, I'm all for laying out the dough. But, I don't see any team-changers left out there.

Atlanta's Domonique Foxworth and Miami's Andre Goodman are seeking huge contracts

LOL!!

Broncojef
02-25-2009, 01:39 AM

Well we just gutted most of our defense and while we may get two or three solid young guys through the draft the rest will come through FA. Bowlen is on the same page as McDaniels so he must know/be onboard with the aggressive strategy our young coach is talking about. I can't imagine all the hype about winning a SB out of Bowlen's mouth unless he's as serious as he says he is. He fired a coach and very good friend he has to pay anyway to be a contender. If Bowlen was complacent and looking to save money Shanny would still be coach and we'd all be debating whether Engleberger will be a starting DE and taking bets on the number of time Webster's helmet will fly off his head.

elsid13
02-25-2009, 01:57 AM
I agree that Royal is the ideal slot receiver in McDaniels offense. Just out of curiosity, where did the idea of us going with a power running game/ two TE sets come from?

New England ran a zone blocking scheme similar to Denver's, not to mention our offensive line-men are suited to a zone-blocking scheme since they are lighter and more athletic than the average NFL lineman.

Denver might be running the ball a higher percentage of plays this year, that does not mean that we will be switching to a power running game.

I was talking about the passing offense only. Dallas, NE, NO and Carolina all run a similar passing scheme. Culter mentioned that spent time picking Brees brain at the Pro-bowl because he wanted to learn more on how NO ran it passing trees and terms since both where similiar to NE.

And ZBS can be run with two TE set, Shanahan used that formation to balance out the 3/4 defense.