PDA

View Full Version : Wedding is 3 months away......open bar?

broncofan2438
02-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Hey again Bronco fans....

My wedding is May 23rd and we have just about all the details in place. I wanted to get some opinions on the open bar situation. Some say to leave it open for a few hours and then let the guests pay after that......what do ya'll think?

We dont have a huge budget.....maybe about $1,000

Thanks

Spider
02-23-2009, 12:01 PM
get a brand new 55 gallon trash can , then make cowboy punch , fill up that can .........

socalorado
02-23-2009, 12:02 PM
YES open bar. That would be the right thing to do.........
Where exactly is the reception again?
Like a date and time.
Thanks.

Popcorn Sutton
02-23-2009, 12:03 PM
YES open bar. That would be the right thing to do.........
Where exactly is the reception again?
Like a date and time.
Thanks.

LOL

bronco militia
02-23-2009, 12:08 PM
take the $1000 with you to Vegas and elope

dbfan4life
02-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Every wedding I've been to has an open bar to a certain limit (like the first two kegs). You shouldn't have to foot the entire bill just so your guests can get wasted.

broncosteven
02-23-2009, 12:15 PM
I would ask Dortoh what to do.

Taco John
02-23-2009, 12:16 PM

My wedding is May 23rd and we have just about all the details in place. I wanted to get some opinions on the open bar situation. Some say to leave it open for a few hours and then let the guests pay after that......what do ya'll think?

Thanks

At my wedding, we ordered a couple of kegs, and had about 20 bottles of wine (about $8-12 bucks a bottle). Everything else was "pay to play." I think that's a decent way to go.

Beantown Bronco
02-23-2009, 12:18 PM
<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SBB6pmixR4Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SBB6pmixR4Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

bowtown
02-23-2009, 12:18 PM
At my wedding, we ordered a couple of kegs, and had about 20 bottles of wine (about $8-12 bucks a bottle). Everything else was "gay for pay." I think that's a decent way to go.

Awkward...

Garcia Bronco
02-23-2009, 12:27 PM

Thanks

That's a good idea. Open Bar for a few and then close it down and don't annouce it either way.

bowtown
02-23-2009, 12:38 PM
I think you should only do open bar for the people who spent over a certain amount on your gift. The rest can pay. :)

BroncoInferno
02-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Hell, yes, open bar. A wedding is pretty intolerable without one.

broncofan2438
02-23-2009, 12:51 PM
I think you should only do open bar for the people who spent over a certain amount on your gift. The rest can pay. :)

Sounds good to me!

The place has a kork fee and when we figured it out, it was about the same to leave the bar open for a few hours.

cmhargrove
02-23-2009, 12:53 PM
At my wedding, we ordered a couple of kegs, and had about 20 bottles of wine (about $8-12 bucks a bottle). Everything else was "pay to play." I think that's a decent way to go.

Word to your Taco...

Pay for the beer and wine, let your alcoholic friends buy their own hard stuff. If they want to just use your wedding to get hammered, they can go screw themselves. Save your money for a house or car...

LittleFloyd
02-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Since you are having an open bar, tell me when and where and I'm there. I'll also bring a wedding gift, a cheap gift, but a gift is a gift.

Irish Stout
02-23-2009, 01:03 PM
If your budget is $1000, go with Taco's suggestion. My wife and I were footing our own bill for the wedding. I got married this past October and we had 70 people attend our wedding. We knew that open bar, where some drinks would be up to $10 (not including the tax and tip automatically added on to the tab) that we would basically be forced to cut the cost out of our honeymoon. I figured that for what we could afford an open bar would only be open for about an hour, knowing my friends. So instead we ordered a keg and $400 worth of wine and champagne. My feeling was - wine to keep it classy and a keg to get drunk. If people weren't good enough for what we were providing them, screw em, they can pay their own way. And really, I don't want to know anyone who is too good for free beer.

As it ended up the wedding was a blast and we ordered about another $100 in wine. Don't kill yourself over the finances on the wedding, keep it in a ball park that makes you comfortable and don't worry about anyone else the day of. If they're going to call you cheap for how you run your bar, screw 'em, they're probably chargers fans anyway.

Meck77
02-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Open bar dude.

How many people you talking?

For about 100 people here is what I suggest:

2 bottles gin
4 Vodka
2 Scotch
12 bottles wine 750ml
Keg of brew
15 champagne

You can certainly scale it back depending on how many people and the vibe of your crowd but I've been thru over 100 weddings over the years and hate to come up short at a party!

Hit up a Cosco and shop around for the keg. Besides they'll be people wanting to chip in however they can. Easier just to toss a spread out and have fun!

Oh add in a little grub, and some good tunes and you are set!

Congrats!

You are fonecoed!

broncofan2438
02-23-2009, 01:44 PM
If your budget is $1000, go with Taco's suggestion. My wife and I were footing our own bill for the wedding. I got married this past October and we had 70 people attend our wedding. We knew that open bar, where some drinks would be up to $10 (not including the tax and tip automatically added on to the tab) that we would basically be forced to cut the cost out of our honeymoon. I figured that for what we could afford an open bar would only be open for about an hour, knowing my friends. So instead we ordered a keg and $400 worth of wine and champagne. My feeling was - wine to keep it classy and a keg to get drunk. If people weren't good enough for what we were providing them, screw em, they can pay their own way. And really, I don't want to know anyone who is too good for free beer.

As it ended up the wedding was a blast and we ordered about another $100 in wine. Don't kill yourself over the finances on the wedding, keep it in a ball park that makes you comfortable and don't worry about anyone else the day of. If they're going to call you cheap for how you run your bar, screw 'em, they're probably chargers fans anyway.

HAHAHA, thats funny you say that, because some of them are Chugger fans and they probably would say that. Thanks for the help, I will talk to the chick about that and see what we can do. Yea, i would rather just bring some wine and kegs, but we'll see what happens.

broncofan2438
02-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Open bar dude.

How many people you talking?

For about 100 people here is what I suggest:

2 bottles gin
4 Vodka
2 Scotch
12 bottles wine 750ml
Keg of brew
15 champagne

You can certainly scale it back depending on how many people and the vibe of your crowd but I've been thru over 100 weddings over the years and hate to come up short at a party!

Hit up a Cosco and shop around for the keg. Besides they'll be people wanting to chip in however they can. Easier just to toss a spread out and have fun!

Oh add in a little grub, and some good tunes and you are set!

Congrats!

You are fonecoed!

Thanks Meck....
I just talked to the chick, and she reminded me that the place we are getting married at, they don't allow us to bring in kegs or beer. We can bring wine, but for a korkage fee. So we decided to have an open bar for up to $1,000. We have a woman in charge of telling us how much we have spent every 30 min or so. Its at a golf course so we have all the food and the facility taken care of.

Thanks dude....I am fonecoed!

sisterhellfyre
02-23-2009, 02:07 PM

I don't mean to throw a wet blanket over the festivities, but my opinion on an open bar at a wedding?

Hell, no.

Not unless you're prepared to "police" the crowd to make sure that nobody leaves to drive drunk.

Not unless your bartender is professional enough to cut off the booze supply for someone who has clearly had enough already.

Not unless you're willing to get sued for liability and damages if one of your guests drives drunk after the reception and injures someone.

Personally, I wouldn't want any of those hassles at my wedding. NO bar, period.

Regards,
m.

bowtown
02-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks Meck....
I just talked to the chick, and she reminded me that the place we are getting married at, they don't allow us to bring in kegs or beer. We can bring wine, but for a korkage fee. So we decided to have an open bar for up to $1,000. We have a woman in charge of telling us how much we have spent every 30 min or so. Its at a golf course so we have all the food and the facility taken care of.

A golf course that doesn't allow beer is like a brothel that doesn't allow prostitutes.

point = missed

Los Broncos
02-23-2009, 02:10 PM
I'd say no, you don't want any people getting to drunk.

Meck77
02-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Well let's just get rid of all the food! Wouldn't want anyone to get food poisoning and sue you over a bad shrimp! Music? No wouldn't want to piss off anyone in the neighborhood. Wedding? Nah....Just head over to the court house! lol

Better yet 2438. Just get er done at a tailgate. Plenty of free booze, food, and music all over!

tsiguy96
02-23-2009, 02:13 PM
beer is free, everything else is not...thats how i would do it.

bowtown
02-23-2009, 02:14 PM
I don't mean to throw a wet blanket over the festivities, but my opinion on an open bar at a wedding?

Hell, no.

Not unless you're prepared to "police" the crowd to make sure that nobody leaves to drive drunk.

Not unless your bartender is professional enough to cut off the booze supply for someone who has clearly had enough already.

Not unless you're willing to get sued for liability and damages if one of your guests drives drunk after the reception and injures someone.

Regards,
m.

Is this a joke?

Kaylore
02-23-2009, 02:15 PM
I don't drink, but I do have this advice:

Don't believe everything everyone tells you you need to worry about with your wedding. For some reason couples talk about getting married like it's horrible and if such-and-such detail is overlooked then the whole wedding will fall apart. They love to ask if you've done (insert thing) yet and then regardless of your answer they proceed to tell you a horror story about how you need to take care of it because their (insert family member) didn't do that and the wedding was destroyed, wailing babies, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria. It's not a big deal.

There will be hiccups but they will be minor and mostly it's going to be awesome. I recommend only this.

Eat. During the wedding in between guests make sure you and your spouse force food down your throats. It's hard but if you focus on it you can do it and you'll appreciate it later.
Don't form a reception line. Just greet people table to table and thank them for coming. It saves time and gives you more time to do what you want.
Every now and then, take your spouse aside and just relax for a few minutes reflecting on and remembering the last few hours. It will make it easier to remember and you'll have more fun.

Have fun! :)

broncofan2438
02-23-2009, 02:29 PM
A golf course that doesn't allow beer is like a brothel that doesn't allow prostitutes.

point = missed

We just can't bring our own.....they have beer of all kinds

broncofan2438
02-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Well let's just get rid of all the food! Wouldn't want anyone to get food poisoning and sue you over a bad shrimp! Music? No wouldn't want to piss off anyone in the neighborhood. Wedding? Nah....Just head over to the court house! lol

Better yet 2438. Just get er done at a tailgate. Plenty of free booze, food, and music all over!

I wish my man, I wish!

She is going to wear a Broncos garder and thong......the piece a the top of the cake is gonna be Broncoized

broncofan2438
02-23-2009, 02:32 PM
I don't drink, but I do have this advice:

Don't believe everything everyone tells you you need to worry about with your wedding. For some reason couples talk about getting married like it's horrible and if such-and-such detail is overlooked then the whole wedding will fall apart. They love to ask if you've done (insert thing) yet and then regardless of your answer they proceed to tell you a horror story about how you need to take care of it because their (insert family member) didn't do that and the wedding was destroyed, wailing babies, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria. It's not a big deal.

There will be hiccups but they will be minor and mostly it's going to be awesome. I recommend only this.

Eat. During the wedding in between guests make sure you and your spouse force food down your throats. It's hard but if you focus on it you can do it and you'll appreciate it later.
Don't form a reception line. Just great people table to table and thank them for coming. It saves time and gives you more time to do what you want.
Every now and then, take your spouse aside and just relax for a few minutes reflecting on and remembering the last few hours. It will make it easier to remember and you'll have more fun.

Have fun! :)

Thanks man, I didn't even think about it like that

Meck77
02-23-2009, 02:34 PM
I wish my man, I wish!

She is going to wear a Broncos garder and thong.....

Sweet. Be sure to bump the thread with pics later. ;D

DenverBroncosJM
02-23-2009, 02:39 PM

Hell, no.

Regards,
m.

Good point. I am getting married in October and we went round and round about this. Here is another twist; if we only serve beer and wine we need two security guys, if we serve hard stuff we need 4. So thats another cost that needs to be included. We are ultimatly going to pay for two kegs and 20 bottles of wine (we have to buy the wine and beer from them or we pay a cork fee). We are paying for the 4 security guards so hard stuff will be available, but if you want a shot you are going to pay for it! This comes with a real bartender so the liability is on the hotel..i think!

I know people always love open bars and I do to and Ive been to plenty of weddings. You really never have a good grasp of just how much everything costs until YOU have to sit down and swallow it. We have 120 guests and the food is 65-75 a person it adds up pretty fast

Tombstone RJ
02-23-2009, 02:49 PM

Thanks

Dude, if your on a budget, don't do the open bar thing for long, it WILL cost you... yah, your guest will be loving it, and loving it, and loving it some more, and you will be kicking yourself in the azz thinking "why the hell am I funding this alcoholics convention?"

Best of luck...

Mountain Bronco
02-23-2009, 02:49 PM
We did beer and wine free, it worked out well. People were drunk and happy when they left.

Hotrod
02-23-2009, 02:54 PM
I would ask Dortoh what to do.

I'll tell ya what I would do. Speaking from experiance he had better put that $1000 bucks into a secret savings account. He is going to need it for buying his own whiskey once the reality of married life hits the poor fool.

:)

Just kidding and congrats.

broncofan2438
02-23-2009, 03:00 PM
I'll tell ya what I would do. Speaking from experiance he had better put that $1000 bucks into a secret savings account. He is going to need it for buying his own whiskey once the reality of married life hits the poor fool.

:)

Just kidding and congrats.

Thanks.....I was thinking about doing that to! hahaha

broncofan2438
02-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Good point. I am getting married in October and we went round and round about this. Here is another twist; if we only serve beer and wine we need two security guys, if we serve hard stuff we need 4. So thats another cost that needs to be included. We are ultimatly going to pay for two kegs and 20 bottles of wine (we have to buy the wine and beer from them or we pay a cork fee). We are paying for the 4 security guards so hard stuff will be available, but if you want a shot you are going to pay for it! This comes with a real bartender so the liability is on the hotel..i think!

I know people always love open bars and I do to and Ive been to plenty of weddings. You really never have a good grasp of just how much everything costs until YOU have to sit down and swallow it. We have 120 guests and the food is 65-75 a person it adds up pretty fast

Dam thats a lot for food per person....We are doing like $20 to $25 per person and we have about 120 to 140 coming

DenverBroncosJM
02-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Dam thats a lot for food per person....We are doing like $20 to $25 per person and we have about 120 to 140 coming

Its not my idea...if you know what I mean!

Three selections Sea Bass, some Chicken thing and Filet.

That price includes all linens,silverware and our ..excuse me her choice of center pieces

24champ
02-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks Meck....

Moorpark Country Club by any chance? Nice place, My sister got married there.

broncofan2438
02-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Moorpark Country Club by any chance? Nice place, My sister got married there.

Na, we looked there, but it was a little pricy$$$.... We chose Lost Canyons Country Club

broncofan2438
02-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Its not my idea...if you know what I mean!

Three selections Sea Bass, some Chicken thing and Filet.

That price includes all linens,silverware and our ..excuse me her choice of center pieces

I hear that dude.....but hey, better they do it than us!

sisterhellfyre
02-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Is this a joke?

Nope. :-)

Regards,
m.

SleepingTiger
02-23-2009, 04:37 PM
the resturant i picked allowed us to bring in our own booze. I end up buy 20 cases of miller light and 30 bottles of remy martin 1738. lets just say their was no shortage of beer or liqueur for 300 guests. i was slightly over $1000. not only that i brought in a 2liter bottles of sprite and coke for every table.

open bar is too expensive i think

tsiguy96
02-23-2009, 04:45 PM
the resturant i picked allowed us to bring in our own booze. I end up buy 20 cases of miller light and 30 bottles of remy martin 1738. lets just say their was no shortage of beer or liqueur for 300 guests. i was slightly over $1000. not only that i brought in a 2liter bottles of sprite and coke for every table.

open bar is too expensive i think

480 beers for 300 people? thats not gonna work at every type of wedding.

cutthemdown
02-23-2009, 05:03 PM
for 1000 bucks just buy some champagne for the toast. 1000 bucks at an open bar will go really fast.

maher_tyler
02-23-2009, 08:15 PM

Thanks

Nah...we didn't..everyone will drink anyways.

ZONA
02-23-2009, 08:34 PM
There is no black and white in the case of a wedding. It depends on how many guests are invited (actually only about 2/3 of the people will show) and where you have it. We had a pretty smart wedding planner actually. We had ours at a resort and our planner was going through some of the previous wedding receptions there and noticed some of the open bar weddings had really high price tags. She called the resort and they said sometimes you get guests at the hotel who go down to the wedding to check out all the excitement and find out there is an open bar and they just start going to town.

I think the best way to go if you are on a budget is to provide a few kegs (each one different brand). Mixed drinks our guests had to pay for if that's what they wanted but we also had chilled wine and champagne served directly to the tables only. Most crashers won't go as far as to take seats at the tables because most of the time you will have a seating arrangement. We had no complaints.

Wes Mantooth
02-23-2009, 08:46 PM
I vote yes. Everyone will love you for it.

theAPAOps5
02-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Its hard for me to say because my wedding was completely paid for by my father in law and he had the means to pay for my wife's dream wedding. It was crazy expensive. We had an open bar the whole night BUT we limited it to kegs of beer, a red wine, a white wine, and a signature drink. We explored an open bar with all types of liquor and it caused the price to skyrocket. So make sure you keep it limited.

If I had to pay for it I would have an open bar for beer and 2 types of wine. I would then have a cash bar for anything else if you think its warranted. $1,000 should cover the beer and wine. We had close to 200 people at my wedding so you have to factor that in as well.

SouthStndJunkie
02-23-2009, 09:20 PM
take the $1000 with you to Vegas and elope

Good advice.

Me and my wife and a few family members went to Jamaica for a week....and it was still a lot cheaper than a tradition wedding/reception would have cost....without the pressure and hassles.

We had a nice and relaxed dress down reception/party when we got back.

SouthStndJunkie
02-23-2009, 09:25 PM

Hell, no.

Regards,
m.

Thanks, sisterbuzzkill.

footstepsfrom#27
02-23-2009, 09:40 PM
You have a measly $1,000 budget and you're asking if you should have an open bar? LOL I think you might want to let your wife make the financial decisions if you're asking this. Let's put it this way...unless all your friends/family are tea totalers...you're gonne get majorly screwed long before the honeymoon. Nothing attracts a problem like your friends/family being given a blank check to booz it up at your expense. At my wedding I think my uncle Louie drank that all by himself... :spit:

No way.

theAPAOps5
02-23-2009, 09:40 PM

Hell, no.

Regards,
m.

Yeah this is about the dumbest most out of touch advise you could receive. Obviously the poster is speaking from an assumption and has never had a wedding. When you sit down with a reception hall and caterer they spell out how they will handle serving alcohol as they are the liable party.

sisterhellfyre
02-23-2009, 10:21 PM
When you sit down with a reception hall and caterer they spell out how they will handle serving alcohol as they are the liable party.

Gee, thanks, Mr. Apa, for setting me straight. [LOL] I responded to the original post, in which there was no mention of the location (a golf course country club), caterers, wedding planners, reception hall, etc. The time stamp on broncofan2438's post in which he mentioned the specifics was a few minutes before the time stamp on my reply. Guess I should have clicked "Refresh" before replying, huh? I'll tattoo that backward on my forehead for next time. But then I'll have to make sure to look in the mirror before posting. [sigh] This whole Internets business is just getting too complicated.

To southstndjunkie: You're welcome. :-)

Regards,
m.

SleepingTiger
02-24-2009, 02:31 AM
480 beers for 300 people? thats not gonna work at every type of wedding.

end up having 4 or 5 cases left over. why?

- not everyone drink. especially when people attend as a couple. between granny, designated drivers and little children, maybe 100 or so are heavy drinkers.

- people were killing the bottles of 1738. one table went through 2 bottles of 1738 before dinner was even served.

- i know this really doesn't count, but we had champagne too.

chadta
02-24-2009, 06:06 AM
its not even an option up here, the price of the open bar is usually included in the price of the food. so 60 bucks a person, or so, least i think thats what it was 10 years ago.

theAPAOps5
02-24-2009, 06:11 AM
Gee, thanks, Mr. Apa, for setting me straight. [LOL] I responded to the original post, in which there was no mention of the location (a golf course country club), caterers, wedding planners, reception hall, etc. The time stamp on broncofan2438's post in which he mentioned the specifics was a few minutes before the time stamp on my reply. Guess I should have clicked "Refresh" before replying, huh? I'll tattoo that backward on my forehead for next time. But then I'll have to make sure to look in the mirror before posting. [sigh] This whole Internets business is just getting too complicated.

To southstndjunkie: You're welcome. :-)

Regards,
m.

LOL I am not saying you are dumb just that advise. No need to sress the guy out he already has a lot going on. But you always have great responses.

55CrushEm
02-24-2009, 06:49 AM
I'm late to the conversation.....but I've been told the right thing to do is to have open bar. Bottom line...a wedding reception is a party that you're inviting your closest family and friends to.

When you have a party at your house....you don't expect people to pay for their drinks.....you provide them.

It's expensive....but the right thing to do.

MplsBronco
02-24-2009, 07:04 AM
I got married in April and we had 250 guests (thanks mainly to the wife). We had a full open bar but my parents paid. It was expensive and I feel bad about it now but my thought at the time was we were throwing a party and I wanted it to be a good party. In hindsight, it would have been appropriate to move to a cash bar at some point. I think as long as you are providing food and some drink, that is a plenty fine gesture.

Also, for 70 guests, your $1000 should get you well into the evening.