PDA

View Full Version : Rey Rey runs a 4.83 and pulls up lame

Denver724
02-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Not impressed. Curry ran a 4.54, Clay Matthews runs a 4.59 and Cushing runs a 4.64. Trade down and take one of the other two USC LB's.

fido
02-23-2009, 11:33 AM
yea, sounds like he just blew up his hammy

cutthemdown
02-23-2009, 11:34 AM
damn that sucks.

no-pseudo-fan
02-23-2009, 11:37 AM
we will see what it is. Still very high on him. He brings lots of attitude to the game. Sucks for him.

Drek
02-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Not impressed. Curry ran a 4.54, Clay Matthews runs a 4.59 and Cushing runs a 4.64. Trade down and take one of the other two USC LB's.

I'd rather trade up and get Curry.

socalorado
02-23-2009, 12:05 PM
I'd rather trade up and get Curry.

It would have to be in the top 5. Cmon, man that would be alot to give up. DEN would have to move some players.

Kaylore
02-23-2009, 12:07 PM
And the question marks keep piling....

theAPAOps5
02-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Bust :)

Kaylore
02-23-2009, 12:08 PM
yea, sounds like he just blew up his hammy

I'm sure he did. I would too if my time sucked that bad.

MVP-06
02-23-2009, 12:19 PM
looked like a calf/foot injury. Seemed to finish it fine though. I honestly hate 40 times, they are a joke. Have zero bearing on the LB position imo. Much rather look at the shuffle times

gyldenlove
02-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Clay Matthews is on fire, he is flying up boards right now, but I would rather have Sintim, he cranked out a really good workout and he is a real 3-4 guy.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-23-2009, 12:28 PM
looked like a calf/foot injury. Seemed to finish it fine though. I honestly hate 40 times, they are a joke. Have zero bearing on the LB position imo. Much rather look at the shuffle times

I agree with this, though i guess it suggests a lack of ability to cover downfield. I dunno, at USC he seemed to be able to move quickly

Kaylore
02-23-2009, 12:32 PM
I agree with this, though i guess it suggests a lack of ability to cover downfield. I dunno, at USC he seemed to be able to move quickly

But not cover down field. This is just one more thing that says "two down linebacker" to people.

MVP-06
02-23-2009, 12:35 PM
hopefully were getting enough pressure on the QB so he doesn't have to run with a RB 40 yds down field. If were not it's going to be a long year

Kaylore
02-23-2009, 12:37 PM
hopefully were getting enough pressure on the QB so he doesn't have to run with a RB 40 yds down field. If were not it's going to be a long year

You say this like he's already a Bronco. Maybe we don't even draft him. I wouldn't mind ignoring him entirely.

Drek
02-23-2009, 12:41 PM
It would have to be in the top 5. Cmon, man that would be alot to give up. DEN would have to move some players.

What would it cost? A 2nd rounder would get us into the top 5. The only big obstacle would be finding a team with the chance to select Curry who wants to move back (not hard) and who is willing to accept that the days of the trading up tax being long gone (more difficult).

Its worth it to add a franchise cornerstone like Curry at a huge need position, versus a "maybe" prospect like Maualuga, Raji, etc..

socalorado
02-23-2009, 12:50 PM
What would it cost? A 2nd rounder would get us into the top 5. The only big obstacle would be finding a team with the chance to select Curry who wants to move back (not hard) and who is willing to accept that the days of the trading up tax being long gone (more difficult).

Its worth it to add a franchise cornerstone like Curry at a huge need position, versus a "maybe" prospect like Maualuga, Raji, etc..

Maybe, just MAYBE a team like say.......SEATTLE would move back with DEN.
Let me make a phone call to the SEA war room.

cmhargrove
02-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Orakpo pulled up lame also.

Kaylore
02-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Orakpo pulled up lame also.

But he ran a 4.63 doing it.

montrose
02-23-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm sure he did. I would too if my time sucked that bad.

LOL

But not cover down field. This is just one more thing that says "two down linebacker" to people.

We've already got a 2-down ILB in Larsen (at least IMO). If we go ILB at #12 I want A cornerstone guy to build around. A leader, heart-and-soul type of guy who can play 3-downs and is a smart, versatile football player who can tackle and cover.

p7superfly
02-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Rey looked like crap.

If he doesn't run better on his pro day, I'm with Kaylore .. ignore him.

montrose
02-23-2009, 01:05 PM

It would take more than that. The draft value of Cleveland's #5 pick (this assuming Curry is still available) is 1700, the #12 pick is 1200 and the #48 pick is 420 so we're still short. It's possible Cleveland could go for that, but I'd imagine they'd want something more than that considering a guy like Curry could cause another team than Denver to be interested in a move-up.

TheReverend
02-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Rey pulled his hammy after 2 yards and finished hopping on one leg. His real 40 time is 3.82

Kaylore
02-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Rey pulled his hammy after 2 yards and finished hopping on one leg. His real 40 time is 3.82

http://wtcampaigns.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/head-in-the-sand.jpg

TheReverend
02-23-2009, 01:17 PM
http://wtcampaigns.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/head-in-the-sand.jpg

Would you believe (Maxwell Smart reference) his speed coach is Usain Bolt, and instead of running the 40, he ran the 100 out of sheer habit and thus, just broke the world record?

Kaylore
02-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Would you believe (Maxwell Smart reference) his speed coach is Usain Bolt, and instead of running the 40, he ran the 100 out of sheer habit and thus, just broke the world record?

Maybe the Chiefs will draft him with Curry still on the board. :thumbsup:

Denver724
02-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Clay Matthews is on fire, he is flying up boards right now, but I would rather have Sintim, he cranked out a really good workout and he is a real 3-4 guy.

I would love to trade down with Detroit and get their #20 and 2nd rounder. We take one OR two of the other three USC backers. I really like Maiava too.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Jasper Brinkley timed pretty well. i know he had that knee injury, but he intrigues me

Denver724
02-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Jasper Brinkley timed pretty well. i know he had that knee injury, but he intrigues me

I like Jasper too. I think there are some good LB's in this draft. I also think there will be some nice talent available late at WR.

SoDak Bronco
02-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Cushing looks like the best USC backer, I think he goes before ReyRey

SonOfLe-loLang
02-23-2009, 01:32 PM
I'd never sleep on rey though. He always looked like a man among boys in his college games.

Kaylore
02-23-2009, 01:37 PM
I'd never sleep on rey though. He always looked like a man among boys in his college games.

So did Mike Williams, Matt Leinart, Winston Justice, Dwayne Jarrett, Shaun Cody and Keary Colbert.

gyldenlove
02-23-2009, 01:43 PM
I like Clay Matthews the best of the USC linebackers, he is more versatile than Cushing or Rey, he could play the SOLB in a 4-3 or 3-4.

montrose
02-23-2009, 01:51 PM
So did Mike Williams, Matt Leinart, Winston Justice, Dwayne Jarrett, Shaun Cody and Keary Colbert.

:rofl:

SonOfLe-loLang
02-23-2009, 01:56 PM

Mike Williams sucked. Keary Colbert was steady...the others i cant argue with. But there's plenty of USC players that succeeded in the NFL too. One day someone will fully explain to me why every outside of SoCal hates SoCal

MVP-06
02-23-2009, 01:57 PM
You say this like he's already a Bronco. Maybe we don't even draft him. I wouldn't mind ignoring him entirely.

in general, if any linebacker is covering a back for forty yards it's a bad thing. My point is 40 times for LB's are imo worthless. I'd rather see the shuttle/ 3 cone drills to see their ability to change directions and explode again. Seems more applicable to the position

Paladin
02-23-2009, 02:00 PM
I liked Mathews and Cusing. Curry would be great, but out of reach. Williams didn't look too bad, either. He may be a 4th or so pick. As stated, several good looking players there.....

MVP-06
02-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Is Laurinaitis there or is he not participating? Wasn't a huge fan of his but just curious. Mayock has him at #1 ILB

Paladin
02-23-2009, 02:06 PM
He's there and looked good.....

gyldenlove
02-23-2009, 02:12 PM
He ran 4.80s, quite slow. He looks like what we thought he would be, good instincts, good fundamentals, mature and rounded, but with limited upside and will probably never be more than a good player, but will most likely not be less than a good player.

rugbythug
02-23-2009, 02:14 PM
SO how far does he fall all the way to 48?

MVP-06
02-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Just from watching him I thought he could be the Dan Connor of this years draft. Decent at alot of things, great at nothing which in this league seems to get you 2nd-3rd rounds

Inkana7
02-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Good draft for LBs. We don't need Rey.

gyldenlove
02-23-2009, 02:19 PM
SO how far does he fall all the way to 48?

Not that far, he was expected to be slow. He is still a late 1st round, early 2nd round pick. However a few of the OLBs who are rated in the same area could push him down.

Elway777
02-23-2009, 02:20 PM
That what I expected Rey Rey to run. I still think he would be a good 3-4 inside backer. Maybe The Broncos sign a veterean like Spiikes who Nolan signed last year. Then Draft Brinkley in the 3 round which could be better value then Rey Rey in the first. The Broncos carry 4 inside linebackers in Williams,Spikes, Larsen and Brinkley.

summerdenver
02-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Assuming we pick Raji with our first and if Rey keeps falling and is available at our #2, I would not mind the pick at all.

MagicHef
02-23-2009, 02:23 PM
He also did 23 reps of 225lbs. It's better than Laurinaitis, but worse than every other linebacker that's gone so far.

MVP-06
02-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Assuming we pick Raji with our first and if Rey keeps falling and is available at our #2, I would not mind the pick at all.

I just don't see either one of those happening. I say RAji goes to GB and REy still is 1st rounder

cmhargrove
02-23-2009, 02:24 PM

Please pass the bong Mr. Phelps...

Kaylore
02-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Mike Williams sucked. Keary Colbert was steady
Steadily crappy.

But there's plenty of USC players that succeeded in the NFL too.
There's a few: Tatupu, Palamalu, Kalil, Patterson...I think Chilo will be good. Bush is ok, but horribly overpaid for what he brings. It doesn't look good for Rivers, Fred Davis, Frostee Rucker, Kenechi Udeze.

USC Players have a lot of hype coming out of college and then the makeup comes off, and it's clear that for all they're "pro" training and their "elite" talent, they're usually overrated and bust. Not all, but most.

One day someone will fully explain to me why every outside of SoCal hates SoCal
My distaste for Rey has nothing to do with my admitted hatred of USC. I wouldn't mind the other linebackers coming out this year. I would cut off my right nut for Taylor Mays. I think Rey is a lot of what I hate about USC prospects: He's got a lot of flash with no substance that has had so many people around him to hide his weaknesses that what you see isn't what you get.

As for why people hate USC, its for a lot of reasons. The biggest one for me is their fans are a bunch of bandwagoning LA douche bags who didn't give a crap about USC football before Pete Carol was there. The whole Hollywood thing about the school makes it just as disgusting, not to mention the way the press constantly have their balls in their mouth. USC fans are insufferable too. A woman I work with has her whole cube dressed up in USC stuff and says she hates the Broncos becasue "it's stupid to like a team just because they're the only team in the state." She says liking USC is ok because there are other options, even though (she told me this) she didn't start liking USC until about ten years ago when her boyfriend did. It's just typical USC fan stupidity.

I'm sure that everyone has their own reasons, though. :angel:

SonOfLe-loLang
02-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Steadily crappy.

There's a few: Tatupu, Palamalu, Kalil, Patterson...I think Chilo will be good. Bush is ok, but horribly overpaid for what he brings. It doesn't look good for Rivers, Fred Davis, Frostee Rucker, Kenechi Udeze.

USC Players have a lot of hype coming out of college and then the makeup comes off, and it's clear that for all they're "pro" training and their "elite" talent, they're usually overrated and bust. Not all, but most.

My distaste for Rey has nothing to do with my admitted hatred of USC. I wouldn't mind the other linebackers coming out this year. I would cut off my right nut for Taylor Mays. I think Rey is a lot of what I hate about USC prospects: He's got a lot of flash with no substance that has had so many people around him to hide his weaknesses that what you see isn't what you get.

As for why people hate USC, its for a lot of reasons. The biggest one for me is their fans are a bunch of bandwagoning LA douche bags who didn't give a crap about USC football before Pete Carol was there. The whole Hollywood thing about the school makes it just as disgusting, not to mention the way the press constantly have their balls in their mouth. USC fans are insufferable too. A woman I work with has her whole cube dressed up in USC stuff and says she hates the Broncos becasue "it's stupid to like a team just because they're the only team in the state." She says liking USC is ok because there are other options, even though (she told me this) she didn't start liking USC until about ten years ago when her boyfriend did. It's just typical USC fan stupidity.

Oh, i meant hated for SoCal in general...not just USC football. Like have you seenthe politispeak regarding the false claims about lightrail from LA to LV. These politicians are insinuating that we're evil or something and do not deserve such a thing

socalorado
02-23-2009, 02:47 PM
I hate USC because theres a woman I work with has her whole cube dressed up in USC stuff and says she hates the Broncos becasue "it's stupid to like a team just because they're the only team in the state." She says liking USC is ok because there are other options, even though (she told me this) she didn't start liking USC until about ten years ago when her boyfriend did. It's just typical USC fan stupidity.

There. Fixed it for ya.

summerdenver
02-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Please pass the bong Mr. Phelps...

ROFL!

Seriously though I would not have believed if some one told me that Dan Conner would be available in 3rd round at this time last year. If you are labelled as 2 down LB, that is recipe for disaster. In todays NFL teams use so much 3 receiver sets, no huddle etc that 2 down LB is a liability.

oubronco
02-23-2009, 03:22 PM

we've seen this too much lately

watermock
02-23-2009, 03:23 PM
ROFL!

Seriously though I would not have believed if some one told me that Dan Conner would be available in 3rd round at this time last year. If you are labelled as 2 down LB, that is recipe for disaster. In todays NFL teams use so much 3 receiver sets, no huddle etc that 2 down LB is a liability.

That means were down to 1 14m$ corner, assuning he can get healthy at 30.

With Bly and Fox gone and likely Payless...omg.

And we just fire the Goodmans for sn ESPN hack.

We have 0 3/4 DE's other than maybe Thomas and Peterson, MAYBE Powell at DT undersized at the pro level......achilles can end careers.

Boss is a microfracture, DJ who knows if his knee responds...Woodyard is a weakside LB. Robertson gone...

Safties? none.

All we need now is a reacher draft again that the Goodmans are gone.

AND we play the NFC East next year.

oubronco
02-23-2009, 03:25 PM

We have 0 3/4 DE's other than maybe Thomas and Peterson, MAYBE Powell at DT undersized at the pro level......achilles can end careers.

Boss is a microfracture, DJ who knows if his knee responds...Woodyard is a weakside LB. Robertson gone...

Safties? none.

WOOHOO!!!! you make it sound like the world's gonna end

watermock
02-23-2009, 03:29 PM
I forgot to mention I'm imprisoned in the Cowgirls region.

I actually considered starting to try to root for them a little, but it was just intolerable.

tsiguy96
02-23-2009, 03:34 PM
WOOHOO!!!! you make it sound like the world's gonna end

it is. we are going 2-14 next year.

summerdenver
02-23-2009, 03:38 PM

Safties? none.

On the other hand there is always a chance that the coaching staff will listen to Rev and play more hybrid this year. If we stay 4-3. we could get this defense to play upto avg quicker.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-23-2009, 03:40 PM
On the other hand there is always a chance that the coaching staff will listen to Rev and play more hybrid this year. If we stay 4-3. we could get this defense to play upto avg quicker.

They've said they are playing a hybrid..or hinted at it

Kaylore
02-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Oh, i meant hated for SoCal in general...not just USC football. Like have you seenthe politispeak regarding the false claims about lightrail from LA to LV. These politicians are insinuating that we're evil or something and do not deserve such a thing

That sounds like a general hatred of paying for something with taxes, which I can also appreciate, but I wouldn't take it personally. I know people poke fun at LA a lot for it being a bunch of plastic-faced, blue-tooth wearing, cocaine sniffing yuppies. Generally I think people like southern California, though. Lots of people vacation there. Maybe you're right, though I don't know why someone would hate a whole region...

SonOfLe-loLang
02-23-2009, 04:07 PM
That sounds like a general hatred of paying for something with taxes, which I can also appreciate, but I wouldn't take it personally. I know people poke fun at LA a lot for it being a bunch of plastic-faced, blue-tooth wearing, cocaine sniffing yuppies. Generally I think people like southern California, though. Lots of people vacation there. Maybe you're right, though I don't know why someone would hate a whole region...

haha well we do have a lot of plastic faced, blue tooth wearing, cocaine sniffing yuppies, but america is full of aholes, we don't just have em here! :)

Broncojef
02-24-2009, 02:22 AM

Safties? none.

So basically we're in better shape than we were last year? (Slowick's gone :rofl: )

Kaylore
02-24-2009, 09:25 AM
haha well we do have a lot of plastic faced, blue tooth wearing, cocaine sniffing yuppies, but america is full of aholes, we don't just have em here! :)

Of course not! There are stereotypes everywhere. Everyone says something about a region with generalizations. I've heard a balance of negative and positive about SoCal. I haven't heard too much of one or the other.