PDA

View Full Version : Who do you want at #12?

montrose
02-23-2009, 09:18 AM
For the record just so we can know who wants what now. Based on guys currently projected to possibly be available at positions of need. No trade downs, if we stay at #12, who do want?

fido
02-23-2009, 09:26 AM
rey,,,with a signing of haynesworth would solidify the interior to a great degree

Kaylore
02-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Maybin or Orakpo.

montrose
02-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Maybin or Orakpo.

I voted Cushing, but I'm warming more to the idea of taking a pass rusher. Those dudes are like gold in the NFL, but they bust often and at this point I'm scared sh**less we're going to blow this pick.

Northman
02-23-2009, 09:38 AM
I still like Rey at this point. We need a leader in the LB corp badly.

no-pseudo-fan
02-23-2009, 09:39 AM
I would like Rey or Orakpo. We need to get size and aggression with that first pick, a kind of statement pick.

Kaylore
02-23-2009, 09:50 AM
I voted Cushing, but I'm warming more to the idea of taking a pass rusher. Those dudes are like gold in the NFL, but they bust often and at this point I'm scared sh**less we're going to blow this pick.

What's funny is I think of all the guys you listed, the pass rushers seem the safest. Rey is a boom or bust type and given his school, the players surrounding him and his flaws, he's probably more bust than boom.

I'd be happy with Jenkins, but he won't fall to us (I said that about Clady and he fell. Maybe I can reverse jinx it. ;))

We have too many needs on defense to waste picks on a first round running back.

That leaves Maybin and Orakpo. I'd be happy with either. I voted Maybin, but I would probably prefer Orakpo because he's got more experience.

fido
02-23-2009, 09:52 AM
orakpo does have all the tools to be a very special player

skpac1001
02-23-2009, 10:20 AM
I think just about every player up there significantly upgrades our team, and I change who I want daily, but I will go back to Rey today.

montrose
02-23-2009, 10:38 AM
What's funny is I think of all the guys you listed, the pass rushers seem the safest. Rey is a boom or bust type and given his school, the players surrounding him and his flaws, he's probably more bust than boom.

I'd be happy with Jenkins, but he won't fall to us (I said that about Clady and he fell. Maybe I can reverse jinx it. ;))

We have too many needs on defense to waste picks on a first round running back.

That leaves Maybin and Orakpo. I'd be happy with either. I voted Maybin, but I would probably prefer Orakpo because he's got more experience.

I've got the combine on here in the background and just found out Maybin is from the same suburb of MD I went to high school in. Turns out he's from my High School's rival, funny thing is our area's turned out next-to-zero NFL prospects. Irrelevant, but interesting to me.

Back on point, do you really think Maybin/Brown/Orakpo are safer picks than Cushing or Jackson? I agree that Rey seems like a risky pick, we can't afford to take a RB at this point and I think we'll address CB in free agency. But I still shudder at the names of Kamerion Wimbley (except his rookie year), Manny Lawson, Jarvis Moss, Anthony Spencer, Vernon Gholston, Derrick Harvey and Lawrence Jackson as recent 1st round pass rushers who've yet to impress.

Pass rushers are a value 2nd only to be QBs in my eyes (or at least tied for 2nd with LTs). And I'm usually an advocate that you can't be scared to take a guy for fear he'll bust and you need to trust your F.O. department. But in a year when we have soooo many holes on defense to fill, I'd rather take a guy with a lower ceiling but less-likely chance to bust in round 1 than a guy with a higher ceiling and increased-busting probability. Many might disagree with me, but I just think this 1st round pick needs to be a guy who can be a solid contributor to the defensive unit for the next 5-6 seasons at least. We cannot miss on the pick. By my definition of miss, I mean completely bust. Would I love to land a Clady at #12? Of course, that dude's play at the LT position merited the #1 overall pick and we got him at #12! And maybe Orakpo or Maybin are the next Ware, but they could also be the next Lawson and that scares the absolute crap out of me. With Cushing or Jackson, I'd have confidence that we landed a solid starter for years to come. But what the hell do I know, we'll probably draft someone completely out of left field to me.

ludo21
02-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Brown, Jackson, Cushing, Maybin, or Jenkins are all fine by me.

socalorado
02-23-2009, 10:43 AM
I've got the combine on here in the background and just found out Maybin is from the same suburb of MD I went to high school in. Turns out he's from my High School's rival, funny thing is our area's turned out next-to-zero NFL prospects. Irrelevant, but interesting to me.

Back on point, do you really think Maybin/Brown/Orakpo are safer picks than Cushing or Jackson? I agree that Rey seems like a risky pick, we can't afford to take a RB at this point and I think we'll address CB in free agency. But I still shudder at the names of Kamerion Wimbley (except his rookie year), Manny Lawson, Jarvis Moss, Anthony Spencer, Vernon Gholston, Derrick Harvey and Lawrence Jackson as recent 1st round pass rushers who've yet to impress.
Pass rushers are a value 2nd only to be QBs in my eyes (or at least tied for 2nd with LTs). And I'm usually an advocate that you can't be scared to take a guy for fear he'll bust and you need to trust your F.O. department. But in a year when we have soooo many holes on defense to fill, I'd rather take a guy with a lower ceiling but less-likely chance to bust in round 1 than a guy with a higher ceiling and increased-busting probability. Many might disagree with me, but I just think this 1st round pick needs to be a guy who can be a solid contributor to the defensive unit for the next 5-6 seasons at least. We cannot miss on the pick. By my definition of miss, I mean completely bust. Would I love to land a Clady at #12? Of course, that dude's play at the LT position merited the #1 overall pick and we got him at #12! And maybe Orakpo or Maybin are the next Ware, but they could also be the next Lawson and that scares the absolute crap out of me. With Cushing or Jackson, I'd have confidence that we landed a solid starter for years to come. But what the hell do I know, we'll probably draft someone completely out of left field to me.

That right there is truly scary.
Again, i will get the "homer tag" because of this, but i think going after Gabe Watson with a 3rd and a 2010 pick, and grabbing either Cushing or Rey in the 1st and then going after C.Mathews in the 2nd is one of the best ways to bring in a solid core to the LB corps in DEN. I guess i should let todays festivities play out 1st though.

BMarsh615
02-23-2009, 10:55 AM
1. Raji (won't be there)

2. Rey

3. Cushing

4. Orakpo

cmhargrove
02-23-2009, 10:55 AM
I like Cushing as a trade down prospect, but my opinion is still that he isn't a #12 pick. He has a great motor, but I don't think he looks like a dominant SOLB like others do. I don't really like the way he tackles either. He leaves his feet too early and tries to whip people down. I think he will have to change that in the NFL, especially if he plays SOLB. He almost looks more like a 3-4 ILB to me.

Based on the fact that we will probably use Moss or Dumervil at WOLB, I might just have to say Tyson Jackson. He already draws double teams and will be playing his "natural position." He might help our defense the most, and allow all our LB's to learn their position.

As far as pass rushers at WOLB, I still think either Everette Brown or Larry English will be the best in this years draft. I think Orakpo would make a tremendous 4-3 DE, I just don't buy him as an LB yet (after watching a fair amount of Texas football games - not 40 yard dashes). Larry English has the attitude and skill set I would choose. And, he is already able to destroy O-linemen, something Cushing hasn't really shown yet. Cushing usually plays the gaps and uses his speed, where guys like English, Brown, and Orakpo can push and OT or TE around the field.

Kaylore
02-23-2009, 10:57 AM

I'm not against that. I'm ok with safe choices that make the overall defense much better even if we don't get any flashy, but riskier game changers. I think you need to raise the overall general level of the defense before you can start getting risky. However I also believe in focusing on BPA and using the first picks on a position you get a lot of mileage out of. I think DE/OLB is the way to go. It would seem that's where the most value is for us at 12.

Really though, I'd like to find some team salivating over Rey like the Jets or Chargers and trade back for more picks.

TheReverend
02-23-2009, 10:58 AM

Similar situation with Joe Thomas for me.

Denver724
02-23-2009, 11:04 AM
I don't feel real good about Rey. I think Orakpo is going to be an absolute stud. Unfortunately, I think he will be gone before #12.

Denver724
02-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Rey Rey runs a 4.83 and pulls up lame. Curry ran a 4.54. Clay Mathews ran a 4.59.

no-pseudo-fan
02-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Clay Mathews looks like a man, Rey Rey looks like a mean SOB. Cushing wasn't as fast as I thought he would be.

TheReverend
02-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Rey Rey runs a 4.83 and pulls up lame. Curry ran a 4.54. Clay Mathews ran a 4.59.

Awful. He'll run sub 4.6 at his pro day.

fido
02-23-2009, 11:35 AM
i do find it interesting that laurinaitis is off the radar at this point...why is that?

montrose
02-23-2009, 11:37 AM
i do find it interesting that laurinaitis is off the radar at this point...why is that?

Not sure, although Mayock has him ranked higher than Maualuga which certainly raises my eye.

fido
02-23-2009, 11:41 AM
after rey pulled up lame there, i was all over him for our pick at #12, maybe blinded by the usc numbers, but laurinaitis has played at the top for three years now....is it because of his consistency that he is getting overlooked? I would not be upset at all with picking laurinaitis.....a very solid player.

montrose
02-23-2009, 11:47 AM
after rey pulled up lame there, i was all over him for our pick at #12, maybe blinded by the usc numbers, but laurinaitis has played at the top for three years now....is it because of his consistency that he is getting overlooked? I would not be upset at all with picking laurinaitis.....a very solid player.

Considering he's been recently projected as a late 1st rounder at best, I think he'd be a huge reach at #12. We also have to ask ourselves how much better we think he'd be at SILB than Larsen.

socalorado
02-23-2009, 11:48 AM

The only knock on Laurinitus that ive ever read or discussed is that he cant play inside in the NFL. That he gets washed out of too many plays and ends up 10-15 yards downfield and then makes a play.

Mediator12
02-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Awful. He'll run sub 4.6 at his pro day.

And the dream continues.....If he blew his hammy, like it looks like he did, he aint running at his pro day. But, he no longer will look awful versus the competition in drills today :welcome:

socalorado
02-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Considering he's been recently projected as a late 1st rounder at best, I think he'd be a huge reach at #12. We also have to ask ourselves how much better we think he'd be at SILB than Larsen.
Question.
Would this work for you? (1st Cushing 2nd C.Mathews)

DE:Canty/ Olshansky
NT: Watson/G Jackson
DE/UT: Wright/Thomas
WOLB/DE: C.Matthews/Dumervil
WLB/WILB: DJ
MLB/SILB: Larsen
SOLB/SILB: Cushing/Boss
CB Champ/Bartell
S Sanders/Barrett

montrose
02-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Question.
Would this work for you? (1st Cushing 2nd C.Mathews)

DE:Canty/ Olshansky
NT: Watson/G Jackson
DE/UT: Wright/Thomas
WOLB/DE: C.Matthews/Dumervil
WLB/WILB: DJ
MLB/SILB: Larsen
CB Champ/Bartell
S Sanders/Barrett

That looks okay, although I think Jarvis projects better to the WOLB spot than Doom. Breaking down the defense on NFL Game Rewind these past few days, Doom is next-to-useless unless he's rushing the passer and blocked one-on-one. That might work in spot duty, but considering the goal is to move to a 3-4 with smart, tough, versatile players - I'd rather try to move him now. It'd be the best for both sides. Doom should play for a 4-3 team that will use him as he should be used, a 3rd down pass rusher. We could get a draft pick and take an "athlete/project" to develop at OLB or a guy to help out at any number of positions on defense. Watson sounds nice but I'm not so sure about giving a contract and a draft pick at this point. Seems very Shanahan-esque. I might be wrong, but I think we'll grab a NT in the draft and a cheaper one in free agency. Just my guess. I like Barrett a lot as a project but with this many veteran safeties available I want two brought in. Since we're throwing out dreams here, how about Cushing, Matthews and Brace (with the extra 2nd rounder coming from moving down in the 1st plus Dumervil); then sign Wright, Olshansky, Fields, Jackson, Thomas, Bartell, Sanders and Phillips.

DE: Olshansky, Powell
NT: Fields, G.Jackson, Brace
DE/UT: Wright, Thomas
WOLB/DE: Matthews, Moss
WLB/WILB: DJ, Woodyard
MLB/SILB: Larsen, Thomas
SOLB/SILB: Cushing, Boss
CB: Champ, Williams
CB: Bartell, Bell
FS: Sanders, Fox
SS: Phillips, Barrett

Drek
02-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Goal #1 should be to find a team desperate to move back who'll take something like a 2nd and 3rd (one in '09 another in '10) along with #12 to jump up and get Curry.

Other than that trade back into the late teens.

If neither of those is an option then I'm probably thinking Malcolm Jenkins. He'll be a very good FS with excellent ball skills. Sign a Ronald Bartell and our secondary is significantly improved and we can soak up the rest of our picks in the front seven and offensive depth needs.

On the subject of James Laurinaitis, I'm rather interested in him as a 3-4 SOLB. I think he could fit in well there actually, and could be great value in round 2.

socalorado
02-23-2009, 12:09 PM
That looks okay, although I think Jarvis projects better to the WOLB spot than Doom. Breaking down the defense on NFL Game Rewind these past few days, Doom is next-to-useless unless he's rushing the passer and blocked one-on-one. That might work in spot duty, but considering the goal is to move to a 3-4 with smart, tough, versatile players - I'd rather try to move him now. It'd be the best for both sides. Doom should play for a 4-3 team that will use him as he should be used, a 3rd down pass rusher. We could get a draft pick and take an "athlete/project" to develop at OLB or a guy to help out at any number of positions on defense. Watson sounds nice but I'm not so sure about giving a contract and a draft pick at this point. Seems very Shanahan-esque. I might be wrong, but I think we'll grab a NT in the draft and a cheaper one in free agency. Just my guess. I like Barrett a lot as a project but with this many veteran safeties available I want two brought in. Since we're throwing out dreams here, wow about Cushing, Matthews and Brace (with the extra 2nd rounder coming from moving down in the 1st plus Dumervil)? Sign Wright, Olshansky, Fields, Jackson, Thomas, Bartell, Sanders and Phillips

DE: Olshansky, Powell
NT: Fields, G.Jackson, Brace
DE/UT: Wright, Thomas
WOLB/DE: Matthews, Moss
WLB/WILB: DJ, Woodyard
MLB/SILB: Larsen, Thomas
CB: Champ, Williams
CB: Bartell, Bell
FS: Sanders, Fox
SS: Phillips, Barrett

YEah, i would take that line up too. Both of ours are realistic to me at least and they address the defense from every standpoint i can think of. I also tried desperately to keep our best defensive players.
What does Doom command? A 3rd? 4th? I say if this is the line-up they are looking to build, then take the pick.

montrose
02-23-2009, 12:15 PM
YEah, i would take that line up too. Both of ours are realistic to me at least and they address the defense from every standpoint i can think of. I also tried desperately to keep our best defensive players.
What does Doom command? A 3rd? 4th? I say if this is the line-up they are looking to build, then take the pick.

I think Doom has some value to a 4-3 team looking for a situational pass rusher. While he's not an every-down guy, he is a proven pass rusher when not used in an every-down capacity, which has value. I imagine we might be able to net something like a conditional 4th in 2010 that moves up to a 3rd if he resigns with that club.

My little dream proposal was something like moving the #12 pick plus Dumervil to move down a few spots plus pickup a 2nd. We'd move down a few and get Cushing cheaper, then pickup another valuable 2nd rounder to nab Matthews and Brace. Quite unrealistic, but we can dream can't we?

socalorado
02-23-2009, 12:19 PM
I think Doom has some value to a 4-3 team looking for a situational pass rusher. While he's not an every-down guy, he is a proven pass rusher when not used in an every-down capacity, which has value. I imagine we might be able to net something like a conditional 4th in 2010 that moves up to a 3rd if he resigns with that club.

My little dream proposal was something like moving the #12 pick plus Dumervil to move down a few spots plus pickup a 2nd. We'd move down a few and get Cushing cheaper, then pickup another valuable 2nd rounder to nab Matthews and Brace. Quite unrealistic, but we can dream can't we?

I just noticed brace in your line up and thought, huh. Thats a bit much. How in the hell did he pull tha off?!?! HAHA!

I see using Doom to trade back with a team. Cant think if PHIL needs a 4-3 pass rusher but those 2 1st rounders are just freakin GOLD right now to DEN. More than any other team. Or get another 2nd from a team like NYG, MIA, NE who have 2 2nd rounders.

TheReverend
02-23-2009, 12:50 PM
And the dream continues.....If he blew his hammy, like it looks like he did, he aint running at his pro day. But, he no longer will look awful versus the competition in drills today :welcome:

Okay, just got the full story. He's actually NEVER run in shorts before, so it weirded him out. He only runs in pads and his game speed in 4.1.

He's probably just ****ing around like Mohammad Ali used to do. He floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee.

montrose
02-23-2009, 12:52 PM
I just noticed brace in your line up and thought, huh. Thats a bit much. How in the hell did he pull tha off?!?! HAHA!

Cushing 1st after trade down
Matthews 2nd
Brace 2nd with pick acquired in trade

Yeah, it's a dream - I know.

socalorado
02-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Cushing 1st after trade down
Matthews 2nd
Brace 2nd with pick acquired in trade

Yeah, it's a dream - I know.

No! thats what i am hoping for! Or a move for PHILIs 2 1sts.
I just took cushing at 12 and Mathews at 48. But if DEN can get brace as well, jeez! Do it!

Kaylore
02-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Okay, just got the full story. He's actually NEVER run in shorts before, so it weirded him out.
Well then throw this guy a bone! I mean who doesn't get all icky doing that?

cmhargrove
02-23-2009, 02:02 PM
No! thats what i am hoping for! Or a move for PHILIs 2 1sts.
I just took cushing at 12 and Mathews at 48. But if DEN can get brace as well, jeez! Do it!

All we need is for Crabtree or Maclin to fall to 12, then we trade with Philly.

bpc
02-23-2009, 02:32 PM
I'm just hoping we can trade back and leverage somebody that needs a OT badly. Say a guy like Andre Smith is sitting there and we decided we have MANY other needs. Some team could get desperate. Philly is the first team that comes to mind. We could move pick 12 for 28, 53, and 85.

Move back and look for Tyson Jackson at 28. I love this guy. He's a run-stopping beast who has very good pass rush moves and great size. Vastly underated IMO even though Mayock is hyping him as the top 5 technique.

We have 2 picks in the 2nd round, Clay Mathews is my #1 SOLB providing great coverage skills, and underated pass rushing ability. 2b I'm going with either Paul Kruger or Jarron Gilbert as the rush side DE in our 3-4.

1st RD - 28 - Tyson Jackson - SDE - LSU
2nd RD - 48 - Clay Mathews - SOLB - USC
2nd RD - 53 - Paul Kruger - WDE - Utah
3rd RD - 79 - Macho Harris - CB - VTech
3rd RD - 85 - Jasper Brinkly - ILB - uSC
4th RD - 110 - Derek Pegues - FS - MSU
5th RD - 132 - Terrence Taylor - NT - Michigan
5th RD - 141 - Austin Collie - WR - BYU
6th RD - 172 - Arian Foster - HB - Tennessee
7th RD - 206 - Will Davis - OLB - Illinois
7th RD - 218 - Gartrell Johnson - HB - CSU

I think we pick up a big CB who can start this year in FA (McAllister is a stop gap for a season or two), Sean Jones at safety, and some 3-4 depth in the front 7 like Shaun Cody or maybe Grady Jackson if he isn't a total cancer. I have a feeling they may be looking at a experienced HB and WR who can stretch the field. I don't expect huge names. I think they ultimately are trying to build through the draft.

Doggcow
02-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Maualuga. I don't care about the Combine. Or a stud DE.

TheDave
02-23-2009, 02:43 PM

I completely agree with your desire to find a player with as high a floor as possible... both cushing and Jackson fit that bill. I also would add Laurenitis to that list. His versitility and football IQ could be a major asset to a team transitioning to a new scheme.

gyldenlove
02-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Here is how I would like it to go down:

Either BJ Raji falls to number 12 and we pick him up, or an OT falls to number 12 and the Eagles trade up by giving up their top 1st rounder and Lito Sheppard, then with the 21st pick we get Tyson Jackson.

In the 2nd round we pick up Ron Brace, in the 3rd we take Jarron Gilbert.

We end up with a starting CB and 3 defensive line players who can enter rotation right away.

driver
02-26-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm not against that. I'm ok with safe choices that make the overall defense much better even if we don't get any flashy, but riskier game changers. I think you need to raise the overall general level of the defense before you can start getting risky. However I also believe in focusing on BPA and using the first picks on a position you get a lot of mileage out of. I think DE/OLB is the way to go. It would seem that's where the most value is for us at 12.

Really though, I'd like to find some team salivating over Rey like the Jets or Chargers and trade back for more picks.

Right on. I hope it works out our 12 pick is getting more valuable by the day.
If Det. does take a tackle and Haley at KC goes for the strong armed QB. Stl. takes a tackle and Sea. takes 1 of the wr's and Clev. take the corner from OSU then soime of the prime def. players will fall out the top 10. Guys like Rey, Brown and Raji might still be there.

FireFly
02-26-2009, 02:00 PM

If we were able to trade back, I'd be very happy to see him as a bronco. Very happy.

FireFly
02-26-2009, 02:01 PM
I voted for Cushing if we stay at 12 at this point. I'm change my mind fairly regularly.

Gcver2ver3
02-26-2009, 02:11 PM
everett brown...