PDA

View Full Version : Donald Brown, Cedric Peerman, Kory Sheets

cmhargrove
02-23-2009, 07:43 AM
Watching these guys and hearing their "stories" from the combine, they all seemed like interesting prospects that will probably be around in later rounds if we load up on defense early.

What do you think of these guys?

I guess I have to also throw in Andre Brown from NC State, and Ian Johnson from Boise State.

Andre Brown ran in a zone blocking scheme, so Turner would probably love him.

During Ian Johnson's junior year, it looked like he would be a 2009 first round pick, but his carries dropped off his senior year, so did his draft stock.

All these guys looked pretty solid, and would be speedy guys to match with Hillis. They all range from about 210-225 and run fast.

Who do you like?

Northman
02-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Its no secret that im a Peerman fan. Guy is a class act and had a much better combine than even i expected. He isnt projected to go until around round 6 or so (depending if his stock rises after this). But i would love nothing more than to see us take a chance on Cedric if he is available later after we've addressed some of our more pressing needs.

socalorado
02-23-2009, 08:00 AM
MY TOP 5. Excluding of course the obvious 1st round picks!

http://walterfootball.com/college/Connecticut_logo.gif Donald Brown, Connecticut
Height: 5-10. Weight: 210.
Projected 40 Time: 4.44.
Combine 40 Time: 4.51.
Benchx225: DNP. Vertical: 41.5. Broad: 10-5.
Projected Round (2009): 2
1/4/09: Donald Brown brought the Bubble Lead and then some in a win against D.Wily and the Buffalo Bulls, rushing for 261 yards and a touchdown on 29 carries. After the game, Brown said he's declaring for the 2009 NFL Draft. No one can blame him for doing so.

1/3/09: Still undecided about declaring. Donald Brown definitely has the numbers - 1,822 rushing yards, 21 receptions and 17 touchdowns. His decision should probably be based on whether or not Chris Wells and Knowshon Moreno declare. It'd be nice not to have to compete against them.

10/26/08: Donald Brown has 1,174 yards and 12 touchdowns in eight games. Brown has eclipsed the 150-yard mark six times. He also has 14 receptions.

http://walterfootball.com/college/Iowa_logo.gif Shonn Greene, Iowa
Height: 5-11. Weight: 227.
Projected 40 Time: 4.54.
Combine 40 Time: 4.63.
Benchx225: 19. Vertical: 37. Broad: 10-1.
Projected Round (2009): 3.
2/23/09: A 4.63 didn't do Shonn Greene any favors. Neither did a hand measurement of 8 1/2. Already the subject of weight and work-ethic issues, Shonn Greene will need a lot of luck to be drafted on Day 1.

1/3/09: Shonn Greene announced that he'll enter the 2009 NFL Draft. And with 1,729 rushing yards and 17 touchdowns as a junior, who could blame him? Greene caught just eight passes, so he'll have to work on that part of his game. Still, he could be a second-round pick when it's all said and done.

10/26/08: Shonn Greene has been a beast this year. Through eight games, Greene has tallied at least 100 yards in every single game, including a 217-yard, four-touchdown performance against Wisconsin.

http://walterfootball.com/college/Liberty_logo.gif Rashad Jennings, Liberty
Height: 6-1. Weight: 231.
Projected 40 Time: 4.46.
Combine 40 Time: 4.64.
Benchx225: 29. Vertical: . Broad: 10-0.
Projected Round (2009): 3
1/3/09: Rashad Jennings finished his sterling 2008 campaign with 1,500 rushing yards and 17 touchdowns.

10/18/08: For those of you who don't follow 1-AA football, Liberty is undefeated. The main reason is Rashad Jennings, who is literally carrying the Flames, Through six games, Jennings has 725 yards and eight touchdowns on a 5.6 YPC clip. NFL GMs and scouts are going to love his 40 time.

5/21/08: Rashad Jennings is a transfer from Pittsburgh, but he didn't switch schools because he couldn't keep up; he had family issues to deal with. At Liberty, Jennings totaled 1,113 yards and 15 touchdowns.

http://walterfootball.com/college/Oregon_logo.gif Jeremiah Johnson, Oregon
Height: 5-9. Weight: 209.
Projected 40 Time: 4.52.
Combine 40 Time: 4.61.
Benchx225: 20. Vertical: . Broad: .
Projected Round (2009): 4
1/3/09: Jeremiah Johnson rushed for 1,082 yards and 12 touchdowns - remarkable, as he was coming off a torn ACL. That injury is pretty much no longer an issue.

10/18/08: Coming off a torn ACL, Jeremiah Johnson played pretty well until running into USC. The Trojans contained him to just 45 yards on 13 carries. The following week, UCLA limited him to 30 yards on 11 rushes.

5/21/08: Jeremiah Johnson got off to a hot start in 2007, gaining 6.4 yards per carry alongside Jonathan Stewart. Unfortunately, he suffered a torn ACL in the middle of the year.

SLEEPER PICK

http://walterfootball.com/college/ColoradoState_logo.gif Gartrell Johnson, Colorado State
Height: 5-10. Weight: 219.
Projected 40 Time: 4.62.
Combine 40 Time: .
Benchx225: 20. Vertical: . Broad: .
Projected Round (2009): 5-6
1/29/09: Gartrell Johnson's 40 is going to hurt him, but hopefully some team will see past that. In 2008, Johnson recorded 1,476 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns. He also helped out the passing game by catching 32 balls for 295 more yards.

Elway777
02-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Running backs really diappointed at the combine. I think the Broncos sign Derick Ward then draft Donald Brown or Peerman in the 3 round.

cmhargrove
02-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Running backs really diappointed at the combine. I think the Broncos sign Derick Ward then draft Donald Brown or Peerman in the 3 round.

It is my opinion, that several of these guys in rounds 3-5 have enough talent to be a Derrick Ward - without the big FA price tag.

I would say no to Ward and pick up one of these guys in a heartbeat.

Northman
02-23-2009, 11:03 AM
It is my opinion, that several of these guys in rounds 3-5 have enough talent to be a Derrick Ward - without the big FA price tag.

How much is Ward asking for? In my latest Mock i have us picking Ward up and taking Peerman in the draft. But i was also the impression that Ward wasnt asking for a lot as he really has no ground to do so. Im not even that sold on him but considering what i was left with in my Mock it seemed like a decent risk worth taking. Who knows though.

cmhargrove
02-23-2009, 12:19 PM
How much is Ward asking for? In my latest Mock i have us picking Ward up and taking Peerman in the draft. But i was also the impression that Ward wasnt asking for a lot as he really has no ground to do so. Im not even that sold on him but considering what i was left with in my Mock it seemed like a decent risk worth taking. Who knows though.

Even if its not a big FA contract, market value would seem to be a couple million a year with a few million signing bonus.

Compare that with a contract on a 3rd round draft pick in the 600,000 to 900-000 per year with signing bonus.

chaz
02-23-2009, 03:47 PM

Yes but by signing Ward, who is a decent RB, we take can focus another first day pick on defense knowing the offense is taken care of. FA dictates the draft to a large degree as our main needs are defense, all around. 3-4 front seven and safeties...if we get some guys there RB becomes an option early. If we sign a RB, we can focus on defense. If we grab a safety, we can focus on DL, LB, RB....etc. We will need to spend money in FA to be competitive this year though.

gyldenlove
02-23-2009, 04:10 PM
I don't see us going after Ward, he is going to be the top FA running back, and a lot of teams will be on his heels. He wants to be paid like a starter and I just don't think he has it in him. There is no reason to pay 5 million a year for a guy who is going to splitting touches.

I would much rather have a RB in the draft, despite the fact this is quite a weak year.

Paladin
02-23-2009, 04:34 PM
I do not favor taking on Ward as a FA. He and Hillis are about the same sort of player. No need to duplicate what you have. Also, it makes sense to see how the other RBs around the Valley can do with another years' experience. If you want to duplicate Hillis, then I would agree that taking a RB in the draft after Round 3 would make a whole lot more sense. I happen to like Shonn Green, but Jennings would be fine.....

chaz
02-23-2009, 05:32 PM
I do not favor taking on Ward as a FA. He and Hillis are about the same sort of player. No need to duplicate what you have. \

Because two Hillis' in the backfield would be awful.....??

BroncoMan4ever
02-23-2009, 07:14 PM

i say go after Rashard Jennings in the 3rd. I know i have been all about Shonn Greene, but i have it in my mind we go defense in rounds 1 and 2.

also Gartrell Johnson is a later round guy i would be really interested in getting.

BroncoMan4ever
02-23-2009, 07:19 PM
I do not favor taking on Ward as a FA. He and Hillis are about the same sort of player. No need to duplicate what you have. Also, it makes sense to see how the other RBs around the Valley can do with another years' experience. If you want to duplicate Hillis, then I would agree that taking a RB in the draft after Round 3 would make a whole lot more sense. I happen to like Shonn Green, but Jennings would be fine.....

what is wrong with having to big bruising badass backs? look at Carolina, both Williams and Stewart have very similar running styles, Williams is a little smaller and faster but the run the same way. that works really well for them.

why does everyone seem to think, we have one big bruiser so we should aquire a guy with the exact opposite skill set? look at the Giants, Jacobs and Ward both bigger powerful guys who compliment each other really well

personally i will take 2 guys who are going to ram the ball down a defenses throat all day instead of one guy who will do that and another who is at best going to break a long run once every 3 games.

Broncojef
02-23-2009, 08:04 PM
what is wrong with having to big bruising badass backs? look at Carolina, both Williams and Stewart have very similar running styles, Williams is a little smaller and faster but the run the same way. that works really well for them.

why does everyone seem to think, we have one big bruiser so we should aquire a guy with the exact opposite skill set? look at the Giants, Jacobs and Ward both bigger powerful guys who compliment each other really well

personally i will take 2 guys who are going to ram the ball down a defenses throat all day instead of one guy who will do that and another who is at best going to break a long run once every 3 games.

Whoever we get I just hope we have some healthy dudes this year. We still have the same conditioning schmuck though huh? I'm all about Defense this year but getting that Brown kid in the second wouldn't suck. He seemed like the best RB in the combine that I watched.

eddie mac
02-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Ward is looking a $4m-$5m a year deal but most NFL sources reckon he'll get around $3m a year from some team.

illbroncsfn
02-24-2009, 06:51 AM
3 mil/year for Ward doesn't seem outrageous to me at all- especially considering that Ward is rather fresh- I'll leave this decision up to Bobby Turner- as I think ALL Broncos fan should defer to his judgement when discussing RB's...