PDA

View Full Version : 35 years of smoking and I finally quit.

bronco610
02-22-2009, 11:36 PM
After 35 years I finally said enough. Havn't had a cigarette since dec. 31, 11:55 pm.:thanku:

wolf754life
02-22-2009, 11:39 PM
great job, your the man, hope it all works out for you, too bad you are so inept socially that you had to share it with a bunch of internet posters you will never meet.

Broncobuddy7
02-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Good for you! I smoked for ten years and finally quit two months ago.

OBF1
02-22-2009, 11:43 PM
About time brother...

bronco610
02-22-2009, 11:45 PM
Good for you! I smoked for ten years and finally quit two months ago.

I started smoking when I was 15. They didn't know everything that smoking did back then. Hell, I had no problems with going into any store or walking around as a kid with a cegareete back then. We even had a smoking area in my High School.

sisterhellfyre
02-22-2009, 11:45 PM
After 35 years I finally said enough. Havn't had a cigarette since dec. 31, 11:55 pm.:thanku:

Congrats, Bronco610. February 17th was my two-year anniversary of quitting smoking after 23 years. You've made it thru the first two critical points, at three days and three weeks after quitting. There's one more coming up, at three months after quitting. Hang in there, you can do it. :-)

Regards,
m.

bronco610
02-22-2009, 11:48 PM
About time brother...

Thanks. After going back to school to get my degree a year and a half ago I decided I might want to be alive to enjoy it. :wave:

bronco610
02-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Congrats, Bronco610. February 17th was my two-year anniversary of quitting smoking after 23 years. You've made it thru the first two critical points, at three days and three weeks after quitting. There's one more coming up, at three months after quitting. Hang in there, you can do it. :-)

Regards,
m.

Gotta say I have tried before but this time I really don't even want one. I know what they say about 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months but this time it seems different. I just decided it was time and it has been pretty easy. I do chew the nicotine gum to keep from killing people like boob and wolf though. I am already starting to wean myself from that though.

CHANGSTER
02-22-2009, 11:55 PM
great job, your the man, hope it all works out for you, too bad you are so inept socially that you had to share it with a bunch of internet posters you will never meet.

Did you just have the nerve to call someone else socially inept? The douchbag of the year award goes wolf754life. This is his 3rd consecutive Douchy.

Anyways, Congrats bronco610!

Crushaholic
02-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Great job, 610...:strong: ^5

Popps
02-23-2009, 12:07 AM
Congrats! That's a hell of an accomplishment after that long.

bronco610
02-23-2009, 12:08 AM
Did you just have the nerve to call someone else socially inept? The douchbag of the year award goes wolf754life. This is his 3rd consecutive Douchy.

Anyways, Congrats bronco610!

Consider the source. Like boob wolf refuses to ever engage in an intelectual conversation. He just spews the same old crap over and over. As far as the sharing this with others on this board he wasn't around when these fine people built the bike for Sam. http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=54609&highlight=bike+sam
I wouldn't call that socially inept.

CoopDawg
02-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Keep it up man, you have made it this far. Congrats!

bronco610
02-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Congrats! That's a hell of an accomplishment after that long.

Thanks Popps. Next month I start losing the weight. I weigh 220. Going to go down to 180.

bronco610
02-23-2009, 12:14 AM
Keep it up man, you have made it this far. Congrats!

I wont be going back to it thats for sure. I waited this long to post this to make sure I would stay with it. Like I said I dont even want a cigarette this time.

Blueflame
02-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Congratulations and positive thoughts for keeping up your willpower.

randomtask
02-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Congratulations and keep it up. :strong:

broncocalijohn
02-23-2009, 02:03 AM
Hope it sticks! My Dad quit about 4 years ago since smoking since 1962. He had surgery on both legs to circumvent some bad veins since his smoking caused hardly in blood flow down his leg. Had about a 50% chance of losing at least one leg. He was scared of that and surgery and started contacting old buddies from the Navy, school (before he ran away to the Navy as a 17 year old) and family. Unfortunately, he started back up last year as I guess he doesnt fear death yet he is totally out of shape and had a mini stroke. This is just a warning that cold turkey quitting might have tough decisions later. I hope it can work. I cannot stand nicotine and what it does to people for the habit of a cigarette. Always have a back up plan of staying off the cigs. Losing the weight soon by exercising and eating healthy will hopefully be enough of a motivation to stay smoke free once you see the results of your "new you". There is a weight loss thread somewhere here to get you energized for that part of your next step. GOOD LUCK!

broncocalijohn
02-23-2009, 02:04 AM
FORGOT ONE THING..... Stay away from Meth Alley!

TDmvp
02-23-2009, 03:12 AM
Congratz man .... I'd quit but everyone hates a quitter hehe ... And i doubt i have the willpower .

And as far as wolf ...
who i have on ignore and i figure most do , but i seen him quoted.

What a gutless douche you must be in real life to portray yourself as you do here . I would bet in RL you're very bishlike and go limp in the arms of the first person with a spine you see in the face of any true conflict ...

A lot of good has come out of the Mane tho , through T.J.'s and others hard work. I remember first time i seen the bike for Sam thread , and many others that have been stickys.

A lot of class here from a lot of people.
But there will always be some not worth the time blowing their heads off.

Spider
02-23-2009, 05:06 AM

needle dick butt ****er .........dont be to sure about not meeting people ......

loborugger
02-23-2009, 05:26 AM

Talk about socially inept... This deserves the ironic post the year.

Good job on kicking the cigs. You are adding years to your life.

Broncojef
02-23-2009, 05:33 AM
Congrats man, thats awesome.

illbroncsfn
02-23-2009, 06:58 AM
Keep up the willpower- you have the most important ingredient for success in quitting already spanked...

Kaylore
02-23-2009, 07:01 AM
That's pretty cool. I'm curious what effects of quitting you long time smokers noticed. I'm sure there were some interesting changes.

WyoLaw
02-23-2009, 07:18 AM

Good for you!! I'm sure you feel years younger.

bowtown
02-23-2009, 07:20 AM
Congrats! After 10 years I finally kicked it a little over a year ago. I really don't miss the cancer sticks at all anymore, but I do go through phases where I would kill someone for a lipper.

HorseHead
02-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Keep it going man...

PaintballCLE
02-23-2009, 08:10 AM

Regards,
m.

you forgot about the one that always gets me......the 3 hour one ;D

baja
02-23-2009, 08:16 AM
Congratulation!

Hold the mind set that you can never have even a drag on a cigarette (or use a tobacco product in any way) again and you will stay quit.

I smoked from 1963 to 1993 and quit but I used snuff for about a year before I quit all tobacco products and caused my lower gums to be eaten away when I finally quit the snuff after a time the gum tissue grew back. I was coughing up black flem for about two years after I quit the cigs and coughing up brown flem for about another 6 years before my lungs cleared. Quitting tobacco was the hardest thing I ever did and I stopped drinking alcoholically which ain't exactly easy.

You have done a real good thing for yourself don't ever go back cause it will be twice as hard to quit the next time if there is even a next time

fido
02-23-2009, 08:29 AM
congratulations !!

Peoples Champ
02-23-2009, 09:23 AM
congrats

sisterhellfyre
02-23-2009, 09:28 AM
you forgot about the one that always gets me......the 3 hour one ;D

Heh. Who was it that said, "Quitting is easy, I've done it a hundred times"?

Regards.
m.

Tombstone RJ
02-23-2009, 10:05 AM

Congrats and keep up the good work. I've been told by people close to me that giving up cigs is very hard, but it can be done. Keep up on this New Years resolution and before you know it, you'll have regretted not giving them up sooner.

chadta
02-23-2009, 10:22 AM
congrats man, i quit 3 years ago after doing it for 15, best thing i ever did, altho dont believe the part about all the extra money youll have, i dont have any, but ive got alot more toys, and i should be around to see my kids grow up, and thats the best reward of all.

barryr
02-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Good luck to you. I hope you can stick to it. You'll feel much better, physically and mentally.

broncofan2438
02-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Nice job man....keep it going!

bronco610
02-23-2009, 12:28 PM
To be honest, everyone told me I would cough more when I quit than I did when I smoked when I first quit. That didn't happen. Yes my sense of smell has come back! Of course wouldn't you know it in college everyone who sits around me smokes and they smell terrible. I get busy doing things and forget to eat so that hasn't bothered me. I have not gained any weight. I still drink my beer and it really doesnt make me want to smoke, so thats okay. I do feel better and can breathe easier. I did find out it takes years to really undo all the damage if ever. I thought it was only in a few years like 2 or three. Oh, well. The real story will be in may when I get a complete physical including the EKG and cholesterol count, not to mention finding out what I have done to the rest of my body. Thanks everyone for the support it definetly helps. :thumbsup:

DomCasual
02-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Great job! Stick with it.

alkemical
02-23-2009, 12:51 PM
To be honest, everyone told me I would cough more when I quit than I did when I smoked when I first quit. That didn't happen. Yes my sense of smell has come back! Of course wouldn't you know it in college everyone who sits around me smokes and they smell terrible. I get busy doing things and forget to eat so that hasn't bothered me. I have not gained any weight. I still drink my beer and it really doesnt make me want to smoke, so thats okay. I do feel better and can breathe easier. I did find out it takes years to really undo all the damage if ever. I thought it was only in a few years like 2 or three. Oh, well. The real story will be in may when I get a complete physical including the EKG and cholesterol count, not to mention finding out what I have done to the rest of my body. Thanks everyone for the support it definetly helps. :thumbsup:

I was told about 10 years. I don't know if you can really "undo" the damage. But with the right nutrition, etc - you should be able to provide your body with the best tools to repair some of the damage. It depends on how much damage is done to the mitochondrial DNA, etc. (I have some interesting ideas on this as well.)

I know that as of today, i haven't been able to finish a cig. They just taste like dirt today. I'm usually good anyway (less than 10 cigs most days) - but today i maybe smoked 3 whole cigs.

I'm more or less ready to quit - I used to smoke because i enjoyed smoking. Now if i don't enjoy it... There's no point.

(Not to mention, i do see the health detriments showing up).

bronco610
02-23-2009, 02:29 PM
I was told about 10 years. I don't know if you can really "undo" the damage. But with the right nutrition, etc - you should be able to provide your body with the best tools to repair some of the damage. It depends on how much damage is done to the mitochondrial DNA, etc. (I have some interesting ideas on this as well.)

I know that as of today, i haven't been able to finish a cig. They just taste like dirt today. I'm usually good anyway (less than 10 cigs most days) - but today i maybe smoked 3 whole cigs.

I'm more or less ready to quit - I used to smoke because i enjoyed smoking. Now if i don't enjoy it... There's no point.

(Not to mention, i do see the health detriments showing up).
Bingo !!!!
The bad part was when I was where you are now I was still smoking 2 and a half packs per day.

Meck77
02-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Right on 610.

I quit March 9th, 2006. It was the day after Christopher Reeve's wife died of second hand smoke. I was ready at the time anyway but something just clicked in me when I realized WTF I was actually doing to myself.

Good luck....If you are ready you'll begin to hate the concept of smoking with a passion and people will call you some born again cigarette hater. It's just the way it is.

bronco610
02-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Right on 610.

I quit March 9th, 2006. It was the day after Christopher Reeve's wife died of second hand smoke. I was ready at the time anyway but something just clicked in me when I realized WTF I was actually doing to myself.

Good luck....If you are ready you'll begin to hate the concept of smoking with a passion and people will call you some born again cigarette hater. It's just the way it is.

Yeah, thats pretty much where I am. I walk up to the college students on campus already and tell them. Quit now and you will be so much better off than I am !!!
The only problem is I have 2 Denver Bronco lighters. Conklin saw one as every time I lit a cigarette I saw him glance at it. I'm not sure what to use them for. Guess maybe lighting the fire place.
By the way what ever happened with your land by the stadium?

chaz
02-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Great stuff 610, congrats! I really hope you can keep it rolling!

My Dad quit about 18 years ago after smoking for about 40 years...but it was too late and he developed COPD. Watching him everyday I wouldn't wish that on anyone, so for all of you who have quit I hope you regain your health. Without your health, you really have nothing.

Bronco Yoda
02-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Great job bronco610!

Now admit to us what you replaced it with. lol

Hotrod
02-23-2009, 03:18 PM

You really are a sad sack of ****.

bronco610
02-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Great job bronco610!

Now admit to us what you replaced it with. lol
Work !!!!! :)

hades
02-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Good job! Just think how much money you'll save, them packs of ciggs are expensive! I quit on Feb 4th 1997 after about 17 years of smoking. The day I bought a house was the day I quit, have not had one since.

bronco610
02-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Good job! Just think how much money you'll save, them packs of ciggs are expensive! I quit on Feb 4th 1997 after about 17 years of smoking. The day I bought a house was the day I quit, have not had one since.

Wow !!!! You saved ewnough to buy a House !!!!!! What brand did you smoke ?? :wiggle:

Bronx33
02-23-2009, 06:14 PM
I smoked for 7 years 19 years ago i quit when my son was born one of the best things i ever decided to do it's a nasty habit with no benefits ( well you look cool ) but that's about it.

Sassy
02-23-2009, 06:20 PM
For all of those who've quit! Awesome job!!!

Bronx33
02-23-2009, 06:26 PM
And none of that sissy patches or gum ( cold freakin turkey )

Archer81
02-23-2009, 06:50 PM
I smoked for 14 months when my mom was sick. Quit Halloween, nothing since. Wierd to be able to taste food again.

:Broncos:

hades
02-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Wow !!!! You saved ewnough to buy a House !!!!!! What brand did you smoke ?? :wiggle:

Uhh, it was some weird brand, like Zig Zag, yeah, that was it. 8')

Conklin
02-23-2009, 07:07 PM
congrats man, and yes, i was definately eyein that lighter :P

bronco610
02-23-2009, 07:16 PM
congrats man, and yes, i was definately eyein that lighter :P

Ahh Haa!!! I knew it !!!!ROFL! ROFL! ROFL!

baja
02-23-2009, 07:43 PM
I quit after 30 years and my sense of smell never returned. sad!

bronco610
02-23-2009, 08:15 PM

I can't smell everything. But I can smell someone who smokes. I never completely lost my sense of smell it was just dulled.

Wes Mantooth
02-23-2009, 08:47 PM

Congrats!

bronco610
02-23-2009, 08:48 PM
This is bronco610's wife, and I have to add how proud I am of him :kiss:

-Ang

bronco610
02-23-2009, 08:52 PM

-Ang

Get your own log in woman!!!:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Spider
02-23-2009, 08:57 PM

-Ang

hi Mrs 610 .......... ;D
yeah it takes a hellva man to quit smoking

hades
02-24-2009, 05:20 AM

I don't know if it's from quiting smoking or what, but my sense of smell is fricken amazing. Drives my wife crazy. She says I am like Grisom on CSI!

Rigs11
02-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Congrats dude. I need to quit but I still enjoy smoking.Especially when i go out with the guys to a bar or something.How did you do it?

Rock Chalk
02-24-2009, 12:37 PM

Quitter

Sassy
02-24-2009, 04:31 PM

-Ang

Yep....get your own log in and join the women of the site as a EGIBGB Member ;D

DomCasual
02-24-2009, 04:35 PM

I hope this doesn't offend you at all, but the world would probably be a slightly better place if you weren't in it.

I don't know. Does that sound bad? I don't mean it to at all.

theAPAOps5
02-24-2009, 04:39 PM
And none of that sissy patches or gum ( cold freakin turkey )

Anything that helps someone isn't considered sissy. I smoked for 7 years and tried to quit several times. It took the patch and Tea Tree Sticks (hippy stores sell them) before I was successful. The patch helped the nicotine urge and the sticks helped the mental aspect. I smoked menthol and those tasted like menthol, made all the difference.

Congrats 610 35 years is a long time to hang it up but you can do it. Just remember all those triggers will get easier and easier. The ones that come out of no where are the worst.

bronco610
02-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Congrats dude. I need to quit but I still enjoy smoking.Especially when i go out with the guys to a bar or something.How did you do it?

I hate to be a kill Joy but if your not ready to quit you wont.
The way I did it was made a list of why I wanted to quit. Not why everybody said I should. For the first few days I kept it in my pocket and when I would reach into my pocket for a cigarette out of habit I would read my list. Nicotine gum for the urges that made me not so much want a cig. but to kill someone like wolf or boob that deserved it or didn't but I wanted to kill anyway. :~ohyah!: Like I said I already wanted to finally quit or I wouldn't have.

bronco610
02-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Quitter

Yeah, so fire me..... Oh Yeah you can't. I quit !!!!

bronco610
02-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Yep....get your own log in and join the women of the site as a EGIBGB Member ;D

She tried but still hasn't recieved her email from the site. Seems she did during Sams Bike or something and cant remeber her password or log in.

bronco610
02-24-2009, 05:05 PM
I hope this doesn't offend you at all, but the world would probably be a slightly better place if you weren't in it.

I don't know. Does that sound bad? I don't mean it to at all.

Don't sweat it. My youngest has cerebal palsey. I'm used to the IQ of people like wolf.

bronco610
02-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Anything that helps someone isn't considered sissy. I smoked for 7 years and tried to quit several times. It took the patch and Tea Tree Sticks (hippy stores sell them) before I was successful. The patch helped the nicotine urge and the sticks helped the mental aspect. I smoked menthol and those tasted like menthol, made all the difference.

Congrats 610 35 years is a long time to hang it up but you can do it. Just remember all those triggers will get easier and easier. The ones that come out of no where are the worst.

As I said before, its been pretty easy and I hav'nt really wanted one. I occasionally reach for one out of habit still and then I remember..... Oh yeah, I don't do that anymore. :flower:

theAPAOps5
02-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Don't sweat it. My youngest has cerebal palsey. I'm used to the IQ of people like wolf.

Don't insult your daughter like that Wolf is at an IQ level not even charted.

bronco610
02-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Don't insult your daughter like that Wolf is at an IQ level not even charted.

Actually, Its a son. God knew not to give me daughters cause I'd end up in jail when they hit teenager and the boys start coming around.