PDA

View Full Version : Broncos making progress on 3 year deal for Wiegmann

montrose
02-22-2009, 12:30 AM
Broncos general manager Brian Xanders and Joe Linta, agent for Broncos center Casey Wiegmann, made significant progress Friday toward a new, three-year contract.

"It was a very positive discussion," Linta said.

Wiegmann, 35, has streaks of 127 starts and 8,046 snaps. He said at the Pro Bowl he would like his snap streak to surpass 10,000, which would mean starting for two more years.

Most established centers draw a salary around $3 million. Wiegmann made $1.6 million last season and is scheduled to draw the veteran minimum $845,000 salary this season.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11758159

Vladimir
02-22-2009, 12:36 AM
Casey was a really great pickup from last year and I hope we can lock him up for at least the next 2 years.

BroncoMan4ever
02-22-2009, 12:53 AM
i say get him a 2 year deal with a team option for a 3rd. something in the range of 2.75 million a year.

snowspot66
02-22-2009, 04:07 AM
I'd agree. Three years is too long. But at the same time I don't think he's going to eat up very much cap room either way.

Meck77
02-22-2009, 05:21 AM
3 year deal on a guy who was considering hanging it up this offseason?

broncofan7
02-22-2009, 06:53 AM
I think if the going rate for established centers is 3 million--2 yr deal -6 million total with a 3rd yr option for 3 million. I don't think it is too much at all.

illbroncsfn
02-22-2009, 08:02 AM
i say get him a 2 year deal with a team option for a 3rd. something in the range of 2.75 million a year.

This range is optimal- however bump him up to 3 or 3.25 million/year to make Casey feel the respect he deserves...

Bronco Yoda
02-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Casey Wiegmann was such a great acquisition. He Surprised me how consistent he was.

wolf754life
02-22-2009, 10:49 AM
its getting done, will be announced this week, its going to be pricey! and just wait till you see what marshall is going to get, think lots of gauranteed money, say 20 million plus.......

SouthStndJunkie
02-22-2009, 10:51 AM

Wiegmann never seriously considered retiring in my opinion....I just think he wanted a better contract....and he deserves one.

He deserves more than the $845,000 he would be paid in 2009.

theAPAOps5
02-22-2009, 10:51 AM
its getting done, will be announced this week, its going to be pricey! and just wait till you see what marshall is going to get, think lots of gauranteed money, say 20 million plus.......

Alright this is quoted for later down the road. I will not doubt you have sources if what you say is exact. If in 2 weeks nothing happens you are full of it.

TheDave
02-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Alright this is quoted for later down the road. I will not doubt you have sources if what you say is exact. If in 2 weeks nothing happens you are full of it.

What did he say?

Weigmann will be signed and it will be "pricey"... (well thats insight if i ever heard it)

and Bmarsh could get 20 mill gauranteed... Considering Lee evans just got 19 million guaranteed 20 for BMarsh is a pretty safe guess.

I'm guessing my "sources" could of made those guesses

Hogan11
02-22-2009, 10:59 AM
I'd balk at 3 years as well...2 with an option seems like a much better deal to me.

TheDave
02-22-2009, 11:02 AM
I'd balk at 3 years as well...2 with an option seems like a much better deal to me.

He's just too important to balk at... With a line as young as ours we need a vet like him in the middle. If the man wants 3 years, I'm good with that.

Sassy
02-22-2009, 11:02 AM
What did he say?

Weigmann will be signed and it will be "pricey"... (well thats insight if i ever heard it)

and Bmarsh could get 20 mill gauranteed... Considering Lee evans just got 19 million guaranteed 20 for BMarsh is a pretty safe guess.

He needs an incentive for not dropping balls ;D
added to his contract.

TheDave
02-22-2009, 11:04 AM
He needs an incentive for not dropping balls ;D
added to his contract.

I think they might be getting a numb hand discount by signing him this year versus waiting...

God i'm tired of numb handed recievers on this team...

Hercules Rockefeller
02-22-2009, 11:22 AM
This isn't the NHL, MLB, or the NBA, the contracts are not guaranteed. Who cares if it's a 20-year deal? The Broncos can cut him after a day if they wanted to.

theAPAOps5
02-22-2009, 11:24 AM
What did he say?

Very true and I should be slapped for even considering it.

Bronco Yoda
02-22-2009, 12:06 PM

Wow, Marshalls going to get paid....and will demand guaranteed money. You're so plugged in.

btw, your mommy called and demands you evacuate the basement for a week while the exterminator smoggs the place. I told her non of us will put you up so you best be looking for a tent in the backyard.

backup qb
02-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Well, the Wieggman news is certainly encouraging. Gotta keep that line together(even if he can only play a couple more yrs)

elsid13
02-22-2009, 12:19 PM

Remember it might be to spread the signing bonus out and keep Denver cap in line with what Bowlen wants to spend

Popps
02-22-2009, 12:23 PM
This isn't the NHL, MLB, or the NBA, the contracts are not guaranteed. Who cares if it's a 20-year deal? The Broncos can cut him after a day if they wanted to.

... and you have to think his age is going to be factored in, here. No way do they expect him to be productive at 38. (Though crazier things have happened.)

I'd imagine the deal will be Wiegmann-friendly on the front end with a cap-friendly back-end for the Broncos.

You have to like this move. Our line was stellar last year. Let's not mess with that.

elsid13
02-22-2009, 12:26 PM

Problem is that Al Davis recent contract with Nnamdi Asomugha is about change the NFL status. How long before other players demand similiar deals?

From Sporting News-
Asomugha signed a two-year deal worth $28.5 million, all of it guaranteed, with a club option for a third year that would pay him another $16.8 million or the quarterback franchise tag number, whichever is higher. That adds up to $45.3 million over three years, $15.1 million per year, and even the $14.25 million average over the first two years is an NFL record

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=519664

Hercules Rockefeller
02-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Problem is that Al Davis recent contract with Nnamdi Asomugha is about change the NFL status. How long before other players demand similiar deals?

From Sporting News-
Asomugha signed a two-year deal worth $28.5 million, all of it guaranteed, with a club option for a third year that would pay him another $16.8 million or the quarterback franchise tag number, whichever is higher. That adds up to $45.3 million over three years, $15.1 million per year, and even the $14.25 million average over the first two years is an NFL record

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=519664

IIRC, Champ's 1st 3 years were guaranteed. What the Raiders did is not new.

elsid13
02-22-2009, 12:52 PM
IIRC, Champ's 1st 3 years were guaranteed. What the Raiders did is not new.

Are you sure about that? Because all I can find via Eddie Mac spreadsheet and RotoWorld on his contract was 23M guaranteed. 18M is his sigining bonus and the other 5M was his 2006 salary. That different what the Raiders did with Nmada.

RotoWorld link.
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=nfl&id=1925

Bronco Yoda
02-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Al Doofus just had to throw one last monkey wrench into the system before the last drops of his embalming fluid dry up for good.