PDA

View Full Version : First wow out of the Combine is....

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
02-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Jared Cook with a 4.42 unoffical.

Who is going to be the first to beg for him in the first round.

Edit:
New offical time is 4.5

Inkana7
02-21-2009, 04:49 PM
4.42 isn't that impressive at all, unless he's like 260.

skpac1001
02-21-2009, 04:54 PM

I think its the 3rd best 40 of the decade for TE's. They said something along those lines when it happened.

Inkana7
02-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Oh, he's a TE. I googled him and he looked like a WR. I guess that is impressive, then.

skpac1001
02-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Jared Cook with a 4.42 unoffical.

Who is going to be the first to beg for him in the first round.

Same guy who had a 41 inch vertical and a good broad jump and bench, wasn't it? Good day for him.

Inkana7
02-21-2009, 04:57 PM
I wish I had NFL network.

UberBroncoMan
02-21-2009, 04:58 PM
He's 6'5... 240...

Damn that's impressive.

If he has hands to go with that, WOWZA.

I'd almost say put the guy at WR, and watch him Marshall it up if he has the YAC ability.

skpac1001
02-21-2009, 05:00 PM
He's 6'5... 240...

Damn that's impressive.

If he has hands to go with that, WOWZA.

According to the not very highly thought of analysts at sporting news, he does.

War Room analysis
Hands: Looks natural catching the ball. Does a good job of reaching out and plucking the ball away from body. Uses his body well to shield the defender and can make a tough catch in traffic. Does a good job of getting his head and hands around quickly to catch passes that come at him fast. Has consistently shown the ability to adjust and make great catches on off-target passes. Grade: 8.5

Patterns: Runs routes well and aggressively. Accelerates to full speed fast and can get in and out of cuts quickly to gain separation from the defender. Grade: 7.5

Run after catch: Gets to full speed fast and has the burst to run away from defenders. Displays the quickness to turn catches into plays. Shows the strength and balance to keep his feet against hard hits. Runs through arm tackles to consistently gain yards after contact. Grade: 7.0

Release: Gets off the ball and into his route fast when uncovered. Does a good job of using his hands to push defender and gain space in man-to-man coverage. Grade: 7.5

Blocking: Gets after his block aggressively, stays with it and keeps his feet moving until the whistle. Does not consistently block with great effort, especially on the backside of running plays. Too often lets the defender get inside him to disrupt the play in backfield. Displays the quickness to slide out and pass block blitzing linebackers, but must be more aggressive with his hands to be a consistent pass blocker. Occasionally falls off his block. Grade: 5.0

Bottom line: While Cook could have helped his draft status by staying in school another year, he is still one of the best tight ends in this year's draft. Cook needs to improve his blocking, but displays the acceleration, playing speed and receiving skills to be solid in the NFL early in his career.

illbroncsfn
02-21-2009, 05:06 PM
what school did Jared Cook attend?

extralife
02-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Man, with measurables like that he might end up almost as good as Vernon Davis!

crowebomber
02-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Wow! He might be the next Vernon Davis!

Inkana7
02-21-2009, 05:10 PM
what school did Jared Cook attend?

South Carolina, I think.

crowebomber
02-21-2009, 05:11 PM

Shoot. Beat me to it.

skpac1001
02-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Benjamin Watson hasn't blown any minds in the NFL either, despite a damn good combine. Still impressive work though.

Broncoman13
02-21-2009, 05:24 PM
The most impressive thing is that he stumbled and then pulled up lame with a hammy.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
02-21-2009, 06:07 PM

bingo. too many people put too much weight to measureables. then again its really the first time pro fans get to see these player. i have 1 piece of good news about him. not the best blocker, but gives best effort in that department.

SportinOne
02-21-2009, 07:09 PM
That's the first thing i thought of too. Tight ends are tricky, there are guys who you think can't help but be superstars (Davis), and then guys who you think have no shot at all (Owen Daniels), and for whatever reason, it just kinda happens how it wants to happen. Davis has played for an awful team since his drafting, and from what you hear, has a bad attitude.. not a good combination for NFL success.

15 years from now we'll still be talking about what an incredible waste of talent Vernon Davis was, and the youngsters just won't understand.

Jesterhole
02-21-2009, 09:05 PM
If I was a coach, I wouldn't even want to know the 40 time at this point. People train for months...years, just to get good at that. It is a worthless measurement in most football situations.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
02-21-2009, 11:22 PM
I love how people say " You can't teach speed." I think we now now that you can.

Vladimir
02-22-2009, 12:43 AM
Impressive but not a need for us!

skpac1001
02-22-2009, 07:34 AM
Wow! He might be the next Vernon Davis!

Naaa, I don't think he makes 1st round. Player who rose to the second round thanks to combine numbers.....hmmm....... he could be the next Scheffler.

skpac1001
02-22-2009, 07:40 AM
I love how people say " You can't teach speed." I think we now now that you can.

really good 40 time + average vertical jump = could be a coached up 40
really good 40 time + amazing vertical jump = athlete is explosive

Orange_Beard
02-22-2009, 07:46 AM

Why would you even comment if you don't know who he is?
WTF?

SportinOne
02-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Yeah but if a 40 can be trained, certainly jumping could also be. In fact, i would say it's probably easier to improve your vertical than it is to improve your 40. But i've taken two "vertical tests" in my life, so.. who knows.

skpac1001
02-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Yeah but if a 40 can be trained, certainly jumping could also be. In fact, i would say it's probably easier to improve your vertical than it is to improve your 40. But i've taken two "vertical tests" in my life, so.. who knows.

Yeah, your right, you can train for it. I think there are two kinds of training 40's and vertical, the kind that is basically training technique "tricks" specific to track sprints and vert jump tests and won't carry over to the field, and the kind that is training posterior chain explosiveness in general and should carry over to a more explosive athlete on the field. A guy who is really good at both 40 and vert jump is likely to be an explosive guy in general, either naturally or because he trained his posterior chain for power, and it should translate into an explosive athlete in general. A guy who is really good at one or the other but not both is probably more likely a "technique" guy and may not translate quite as well.
Also, in my opinion, it is much harder to make a big difference using "tricks" for vert then for 40. You can maybe gain an inch or two, but I don't think you can sniff 34" + without having a pretty powerful posterior chain, and a 40"+ vert means the guy has a huge amount of explosiveness available.

thebroncosnation
02-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Yes it was South Carolina. The problem was that the Gamecocks had no consistency at QB. It was hard being a South Carolina fan this year. We had a good D and no O. Jared Cook is the real deal. Gets open well and has good hands. His 40 time is better than his game speed though.

skpac1001
02-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Here is some fuel for the debating fire...

How top performers in '08 Combine workouts fared as rookies

QUARTERBACK (Joe Flacco / Delaware) — The best efforts in each drill were widespread. San Diego QB Josh Johnson was the only signalcaller with top numbers in multiple categories (40-yard dash, vertical leap), but Flacco’s pacesetting effort in the cone drill (6.82) spearheaded a solid overall workout performance that no doubt influenced the Ravens’ decision to make him the 18th overall selection in the ’08 draft. Showing a lot more mobility than many draft evaluators expected, Flacco quickly proved it wasn’t a fluke, with a 38-yard TD rumble in Baltimore’s season-opening victory over Cincinnati. He never looked back, leading the Ravens to an unlikely playoff berth with the poise of a seasoned veteran.
RUNNING BACK (Chris Johnson / East Carolina) — We’re going with Johnson on the strength of his top 4.26 40-time, which set the table for his surprising first-round selection by the Titans as the 24th overall pick. Johnson went on to earn a Pro Bowl berth after finishing third in the AFC in rushing with 1,229 yards and 10 total TDs. Oregon’s Jonathan Stewart, one of two first-round selections by Carolina, who also went on to have a strong rookie season while sharing the Panthers’ rushing load with DeAngelo Williams, could have just as easily been dubbed the top Combine performer at his position, posting the best results in the bench-press and vertical-leap categories.
FULLBACK (Jacob Hester / LSU) — Registering the top scores in the 40-yard dash and 20-yard shuttle, the undersized Hester was selected in the third round by San Diego and went on to become a solid lead blocker and special-teams performer who took on a more prominent role after LaDainian Tomlinson was hurt and Darren Sproles was called upon to pick up the slack.
CENTER (Mike Pollak / Arizona State) — Pollak stood out among Combine centers with the best performances in four categories — bench press, 40-yard dash, broad jump and 20-yard shuttle. Drafted in the second round by the Colts, he made a seamless transition to the guard position, cracking the starting lineup in each of the 13 games in which he played.
OFFENSIVE GUARD (Branden Albert / Virginia) — After managing the best numbers in the vertical leap, broad jump and 20-yard shuttle, Albert was the Chiefs’ second first-round selection at the 15th spot. Overcoming foot and arm injuries in the preseason, he stepped right in as the starting left tackle and did a very respectable job, allowing only 4½ sacks, with no holds and only one false start.
OFFENSIVE TACKLE (Jake Long / Michigan) — After polishing off a Combine-best 37 bench-press reps at his position and posting solid overall cumbers, it didn’t take long at all for the top pick of the ’08 draft to establish himself as a legitimate force at left tackle for the Dolphins. Long was instrumental in the Dolphins’ stunning resurgence last season, doing a great job of protecting Chad Pennington’s blind side from Day One.
TIGHT END (Justin Keller / Purdue) — Nobody generated more workout buzz last year than Keller, who finished in first place at his position in the 40, vertical leap, broad jump and 20-yard shuttle. Drafted near the bottom of the first round by the Jets, he went to have an uneven rookie campaign. But he opened some eyes with a midseason surge.
WIDE RECEIVER (Eddie Royal / Virginia Tech) — After pumping out a pacesetting 24 bench reps and doing well overall, he proved to be a royal steal for the Broncos as their second-round selection. Royal burst out of the chute like a bat out of hell and finished the season as Denver’s second-leading receiver with 91 catches for 980 yards and five TDs. He also cranked out 740 total yards on kickoff returns and had 11 rushes for 109 yards.
DEFENSIVE END (Vernon Gholston / Ohio State) — It remains to be seen whether Gholston becomes Mike Mamula Jr., but after excelling with the top efforts in the bench press, vertical leap and broad jump at the Combine, which led to him being selected sixth overall by the Jets, Gholston turned out to be a major rookie disappointment relegated to backup duty. There are some talent evaluators who believe new Jets head coach Rex Ryan could turn around Gholston by just turning him loose in a far less complicated scheme than the one used by Eric Mangini in ’08.
DEFENSIVE TACKLE (Jason Jones / Eastern Michigan) — A clear-cut Combine stud with the top performances in the 40, broad jump, 20-yard shuttle and cone drill, Jones didn’t disappoint after being selected in the second round by the Titans. Jones showed enough to make the Titans seriously consider allowing Albert Haynesworth to move on to greener pastures via free agency. His 3½-sack effort in place of Haynesworth in Tennessee’s Week 16 win over Pittsburgh was one of the ’08 season’s best individual performances.
INSDIDE LINEBACKER (Jerod Mayo / Tennessee) — After looking impressive in all the workouts, especially his position-leading 4.55 40-time, Mayo more than justified his first-round selection by New England with an outstanding rookie campaign. He proved himself to be a cornerstone defender — which could be just what the doctor ordered for a Patriots team that will have 22 free agents in 2009.
OUTSIDE LINEBACKER (Stanford Keglar / Purdue) — Yet another workout warrior drafted by the Titans, who one would have to think put considerable stock in Combine workouts based on this rundown. Keglar displayed flashes after being drafted in the fourth round. He was a man against boys in last year’s OLB drills, registering the top efforts in the bench press, 20-yard shuttle, 60-yard shuttle and cone drill.
CORNERBACK (Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie / Tennessee State) — “DRC” put on a show in Indy last season, registering the best efforts in five of the seven CB drills. He came on like gangbusters as his rookie season wore on, leading the Cardinals with four interceptions and 23 passes defensed, and earned rave reviews for his coverage against top receivers Roddy White and Steve Smith in the playoffs en route to the Super Bowl.
STRONG SAFETY (Tyrell Jackson / Arkansas State) — The best performer in the bench-rep and broad jump, Johnson was drafted in the second round by the Vikings and proved more than worthy of becoming Darren Sharper’s successor in seven starts last season.
FREE SAFETY (David Roach / TCU) — Roach wasn’t drafted despite the top efforts in the vertical leap, broad jump and 60-yard shuttle. But he was signed by the Rams and earned a third-string spot on the roster at strong safety behind the now-departed Corey Chavous and Todd Johnson, in addition to contributing on special teams.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Scouting+Combine/2009/arkush022209.htm

My only comment is that it looks like great football players who are also great athletes have the quickest transition to NFL game speed,
those who lack one or the other have a harder time.
Which is pretty much common sense anyways, but that's my contribution.