PDA

View Full Version : Official: Favorite video game series

PaintballCLE
02-21-2009, 02:56 PM
NON-SPORTS ONLY

Sorry in advance if i left any major ones off the initial list so i included a other category.

If you pick other.....please list what it is!

TDmvp
02-21-2009, 02:59 PM
If i can't say Madden or any football game there is no point in this poll ....

PaintballCLE
02-21-2009, 03:01 PM
If i can't say Madden or any football game there is no point in this poll ....

lol well i figured since this is a football board.......everyone would pick the sports games.........so thats why i left them off......

TDmvp
02-21-2009, 03:05 PM
lol well i figured since this is a football board.......everyone would pick the sports games.........so thats why i left them off......

yea i figured as much hehe .... I guess I'd go Mario .... hard to go wrong with those hehhe

TDmvp
02-21-2009, 03:05 PM
The new street fighter 4 IS BADA$$ !!!!

Hercules Rockefeller
02-21-2009, 03:07 PM
IBOAB, if this a poll about your favorite series, why did you vote for half?

PaintballCLE
02-21-2009, 03:10 PM
IBOAB, if this a poll about your favorite series, why did you vote for half?

The plural or series is still series.......i didn't mean you had to narrow it down to just one...........but if a new game came out in a series which ones would be must haves.

Kaylore
02-21-2009, 03:17 PM
I played Final Fantasy and Zelda religiously growing up. Final Fantasy turned into J-pop barf and I haven't played it since X.

Zelda is ALWAYS good.

Resident Evil was awesome and then started to fall apart. Then 4 came out and it was the best in the series. So that's probably my "new" favorite.

I'm playing Warlord's 2 on Dosbox right now.

Spider
02-21-2009, 03:18 PM
I didnt care for Carbon in the NFS series

broncofan4life
02-21-2009, 03:26 PM
I love MLB The Show on PS3 cant wait for 09 to come out in 2 weeks. The best baseball game I played hands down.

GoBroncos84
02-21-2009, 03:30 PM
No contest for me, the Metal Gear series is the best of the best.

I also cannot wait to play the next God of War, finally going to be on a next gen system. The first 2 games of the series are classic

TheReverend
02-21-2009, 03:31 PM
First, you screw me on Sega CD... now no Dragon Warrior/Quest?!?!?

(Yes, I love geek games)

Taco John
02-21-2009, 03:32 PM
No Metroid?

TheReverend
02-21-2009, 03:34 PM
No contest for me, the Metal Gear series is the best of the best.

I also cannot wait to play the next God of War, finally going to be on a next gen system. The first 2 games of the series are classic

"The truck have started to move"

:wiggle:

MechanicalBull
02-21-2009, 04:26 PM
No Metroid?

That's the first thing that popped in my head as wel. I voted for Zelda and still would've even if Metroid was an option.

The first couple games were amazing and so in depth. I think the series took a hit when it went to gamecube and they decided to switch to a first person shooter but it was still a decent game.

SouthStndJunkie
02-21-2009, 04:36 PM
I enjoy the Grand Theft Auto series.

bowtown
02-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Metal Gear without hesitation.

Inkana7
02-21-2009, 05:13 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61RD48DCKQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

SureShot
02-21-2009, 05:14 PM
What no Leisure Suit Larry?:D

Doggcow
02-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Devil May Cry is an amazing action game, I can't believe you left it off.

Mass Effect, once the 2nd and 3rd come out I think will be one of the greatest RPG storylines EVER soon, so I'd go with either of those.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-21-2009, 05:34 PM
What no Leisure Suit Larry?:D

HAHA i used to play this game late at night when my parents were fast asleep.

My fav video game series, hands down, was the Phantasy Star series. Spending months playing and beating the original is still one of my favorite childhood memories.

TheReverend
02-21-2009, 05:54 PM

My fav video game series, hands down, was the Phantasy Star series. Spending months playing and beating the original is still one of my favorite childhood memories.

...and I'M a nerd?!?

...generations of doom was awesome...

SonOfLe-loLang
02-21-2009, 06:25 PM
...and I'M a nerd?!?

...generations of doom was awesome...

I was kind of awkward in elementary school:)

PaintballCLE
02-21-2009, 06:28 PM
No Metroid?

man i even had metroid on my list.........cant believe i forgot to type it.........
at least i know why had that extra blank spot at the end now lol

Taco John
02-21-2009, 06:34 PM
My all time favorite console game is the Zelda series. The very first one revolutionized gaming (get off my lawn you damn kids), and I really loved Ocarina of Time and the most recent one. I like other games a great deal, but the Zelda series holds a bit of sentimental value to me that puts it over the top.

For PC, my favorite game of all time is the Civilization series.

Spider
02-21-2009, 06:50 PM

when i was a kid we didnt have these games , but as I got older Atari came out with ping pong , didnt take long for that to get old , then the original Nintendo with mike Tysons punch out ;D

PaintballCLE
02-21-2009, 06:51 PM
still think the most underrated game of all time is goonies 2 for the NES!

Broncosfreak_56
02-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Final fantasy 7-10 were all amazing. So, Ill go with final fantasy. Hopefully 13 will be more like those four instead of the ones after final fantasy 10.

Broncosfreak_56
02-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Devil May Cry is an amazing action game, I can't believe you left it off.

Mass Effect, once the 2nd and 3rd come out I think will be one of the greatest RPG storylines EVER soon, so I'd go with either of those.

Totally agree with you on Mass Effect. My favorite game for the 360 so far. Cant wait for 2 in 2010.

Broncosfreak_56
02-21-2009, 06:54 PM
when i was a kid we didnt have these games , but as I got older Atari came out with ping pong , didnt take long for that to get old , then the original Nintendo with mike Tysons punch out ;D

Oh yeah. Punch out. First game I ever payed.

MechanicalBull
02-21-2009, 07:08 PM
still think the most underrated game of all time is goonies 2 for the NES!

I remember just a few years ago my brother and I broke out the old nes and played goonies all day until we beat it.

I remember the whole game being a maze and tough to remember where you were and where certain places and items were, but once you knew your way it wasn't that tough.

I'll also throw out the Tomb Raider series. I thought the first few were real good and something different than the usual games that were out at that time.

Doggcow
02-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Totally agree with you on Mass Effect. My favorite game for the 360 so far. Cant wait for 2 in 2010.

It flew under the radar, but the gameplay was awesome. The storyline absolutely BLEW ME AWAY. I spent 3 days playing it for like 20 hour stints at a time. I was so hooked.

Broncosfreak_56
02-21-2009, 07:27 PM
It flew under the radar, but the gameplay was awesome. The storyline absolutely BLEW ME AWAY. I spent 3 days playing it for like 20 hour stints at a time. I was so hooked.

Same here. I heard some new DLC is coming out for it soonish, so I cant wait for that.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-21-2009, 07:52 PM

All the punch outs were fantastic. I musta pumped a gazillion quarters in Punch Out and Super Punch Out. Oh, Vodka Drunkinsky, where have you gone.

Spider
02-21-2009, 09:03 PM

;D .........star punches . then i went on to mario , then played some game called rune quest , still not sure what that one was about , but i remember beating it ;D

SureShot
02-21-2009, 10:33 PM
;D .........star punches . then i went on to mario , then played some game called rune quest , still not sure what that one was about , but i remember beating it ;D

Start button=throat punch

NFLBRONCO
02-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Silent Hill
Resident Evil
COD
Rainbow Six
GTA III
Hitman
Splinter Cell

ZONA
02-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Valve is by far the best game developer there is. When Half-Life came out, it set a new standard for 3rd person shooters. Then when Half_Life 2 came out, they did it again. Once again upping the graphics beyond what anybody had ever seen before in video games. And now that they have STEAM, there is no stopping them. By far the best games I have ever played were made by Valve.

And I just have to throw this out there. For the kind of gamer that loves graphics but enjoys a different kind of game, one which require supreme puzzle solving skills, you need to check out PORTAL. You will not put that game down, that is unless you are a brain dead loser who just wants to blow away zombies all night long. :rofl:

Hercules Rockefeller
02-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Final fantasy 7-10 were all amazing. So, Ill go with final fantasy. Hopefully 13 will be more like those four instead of the ones after final fantasy 10.

Hated 8 and 10 was just ok. 7, 6, and Tactics are still the best, 12 wasn't that bad either.

Broncosfreak_56
02-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Hated 8 and 10 was just ok. 7, 6, and Tactics are still the best, 12 wasn't that bad either.

8 definitely took my a while to get into because it was so different. I really started to get into it in the third disc and turned out to really like it.

I think 10 was memorable for me because of how great it looked on the PS2, and that it was the first final fantasy to have voices.

Jens1893
02-22-2009, 09:02 AM
Valve is by far the best game developer there is. When Half-Life came out, it set a new standard for 3rd person shooters. Then when Half_Life 2 came out, they did it again. Once again upping the graphics beyond what anybody had ever seen before in video games. And now that they have STEAM, there is no stopping them. By far the best games I have ever played were made by Valve.

And I just have to throw this out there. For the kind of gamer that loves graphics but enjoys a different kind of game, one which require supreme puzzle solving skills, you need to check out PORTAL. You will not put that game down, that is unless you are a brain dead loser who just wants to blow away zombies all night long. :rofl:

Blizzard at the very least gives Valve a run for its money and tops Valve for me. When Blizzard releases something, and they donīt release something very often, itīs very, very good.

Bronco Yoda
02-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Wow... no command and Conquer, WarCraft...etc...

surprising

BABronco
02-22-2009, 11:31 AM
I honestly think Golden Eye for 64 was the best game ever created.

Doggcow
02-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Oh on another note. Add me if you play Street Fighter 4 on Xbox 360, Ill pwn you chumps.

My XBL: Doggcow.

UberBroncoMan
02-22-2009, 11:59 AM
I had to chose so many from that list AHHH lol.

I'd have to add though...

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - KoToR Series (2nd would have been awesome if LucasArts hadn't been greedy #$*('s.)

Secret of Mana - Seiken Densetsu Series

Earthbound - Mother Series

Star Wars: Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast - Jedi Knight Series

GoldenEye (alone) - the other bond games sucked in comparison

Perfect Dark - Perfect Dark Series (Xbox360 one was bleh but the first was money)

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Elder Scrolls Series

Fallout III (ending sucked ass though) - Fallout Series

Banjo-Kazooie - New game saved the series

God of War - God of War Series

Gears of Wars - Gears of War Series

Rome: Total War - Total War Series

WarCraft III - WarCraft Series

StarCraft- StarCraft Series

Diablo II - Diablo Series

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 - C&C Series

... I'm going to stop now haha

Br0nc0Buster
02-22-2009, 12:01 PM
I honestly think Golden Eye for 64 was the best game ever created.

I concur

It was the best game

Legend of Zelda:Ocarina of Time
Goldeneye
Ninja Turtles 3:The Manhattan Project

Those were the best games ever made, with Goldeneye on top

I enjoyed N64 games a lot more than I do xbox games, maybe it was because I was a lot younger, but I plan on selling my xbox and buying a 64 and getting Goldeneye ,Zelda, and Mario Cart

no joke

gyldenlove
02-22-2009, 12:07 PM
The fallout series is epic, fallout 3 is a bit weird to get into but plays very well.

Elder Scrolls is great too, the last 2 games anyway.

Jens1893
02-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Oh on another note. Add me if you play Street Fighter 4 on Xbox 360, Ill pwn you chumps.

My XBL: Doggcow.

Were you lucky enough to get a stick or pad?

Archer81
02-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Not seeing God of War, and someone mentioned Devil May Cry already. I dig the Civilization series too. Fallout is another good one.

:Broncos:

Archer81
02-22-2009, 01:13 PM
My list:

God of War
Civilization
Tomb Raider
Castlevania
Devil May Cry
Fallout
Mortal Kombat 1 and 2, 5 and 6.
Madden
Final Fantasy (7 was my favorite)
Legend of Zelda

broncofan7
02-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Not my favorite but definitely one of the most memorable games from the 1980's---Leisure Suit Larry--my best friend's older Bro would play this game for hours on end in the late 80's.....

Bronco Yoda
02-22-2009, 01:18 PM
AOh, Vodka Drunkinsky, where have you gone.

:welcome:

Hercules Rockefeller
02-22-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm so glad I got one of the 60-gig PS3's when they came out, love the backward compatibility for both PSX and PS2 games.

Kaylore
02-22-2009, 03:23 PM
I had to chose so many from that list AHHH lol.

I'd have to add though...

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - KoToR Series (2nd would have been awesome if LucasArts hadn't been greedy #$*('s.)

Secret of Mana - Seiken Densetsu Series

Earthbound - Mother Series

Star Wars: Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast - Jedi Knight Series

GoldenEye (alone) - the other bond games sucked in comparison

Perfect Dark - Perfect Dark Series (Xbox360 one was bleh but the first was money)

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Elder Scrolls Series

Fallout III (ending sucked ass though) - Fallout Series

Banjo-Kazooie - New game saved the series

God of War - God of War Series

Gears of Wars - Gears of war Series

Rome: Total War - Total War Series

WarCraft III - WarCraft Series

StarCraft- StarCraft Series

Diablo II - Diablo Series

Command & Conquer - Red Alert 2 - C&C Series

... I'm going to stop now haha

Very nice list.

Also, Taco, you are a man after my own heart.

Ramathorn
02-22-2009, 03:43 PM
call of duty world at war online is the greatest thing ever. I am so addicted. If you have a ps3 username, post it. Mine is elvis92.

kappys
02-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Civilization is the greatest series of all time IMO - the only one that I voted for. I still play Civ 4 regularly.

Others I love but didn't see mentioned

Baldurs Gate - don't really care for DnD games much but the series was awesome - very wide open gameplay especially in the 2nd one.

Jagged Alliance - both of these were great games. Awesome turn based action where you use a team of mercenaries to take over small tropical islands.

UFO enemy unknown - Probably not fair since only the first one was really amazing, the rest were bascially exact copies of the original.

Descent - the first truly 3D game/shooter that I can remember.

Gauntlet

Inkana7
02-22-2009, 05:50 PM
The lack of love for Pokemon makes me sick.

Archer81
02-22-2009, 06:21 PM
PS3 user name is...wait for it...Sirhcyennek81...

elsid13
02-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Civilization is the greatest series of all time IMO - the only one that I voted for. I still play Civ 4 regularly.

Others I love but didn't see mentioned

Baldurs Gate - don't really care for DnD games much but the series was awesome - very wide open gameplay especially in the 2nd one.

Jagged Alliance - both of these were great games. Awesome turn based action where you use a team of mercenaries to take over small tropical islands.

UFO enemy unknown - Probably not fair since only the first one was really amazing, the rest were bascially exact copies of the original.

Descent - the first truly 3D game/shooter that I can remember.

Gauntlet

If you like Baldur Gate then you will like the Neverwinter Night Series. I like NWN because they shipped the gaming tool set with it and allowed others to create games/stories too.

But I am addicated to the Total War Series. Though I wish the tatical battle were little more complex.

gyldenlove
02-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Wing Commander, great games

Archer81
02-22-2009, 06:34 PM
If you like Baldur Gate then you will like the Neverwinter Night Series. I like NWN because they shipped the gaming tool set with it and allowed others to create games/stories too.

But I am addicated to the Total War Series. Though I wish the tatical battle were little more complex.

My brother loves Rome: Total War, he'd play that for hours.

elsid13
02-22-2009, 06:41 PM
My brother loves Rome: Total War, he'd play that for hours.

I have to be careful, because when I put the DVD in I could spend all day playing and not realize how much time I have long on the game.

FireFly
02-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Best game ever :

Baldur's Gate 2

Punisher
02-22-2009, 07:20 PM
My list

Fear Effect Ps1
Lunar:Sliver story Ps1
Resident Evil 0. Gamecube
Harvist Moon N64
Zelda:A link to the past Super nintendo
Streets of rage. Sega
Age of empire. For the PC

TheReverend
02-22-2009, 07:51 PM
My list

Fear Effect Ps1
Lunar:Sliver story Ps1
Resident Evil 0. Gamecube
Harvist Moon N64
Zelda:A link to the past Super nintendo
Streets of rage. Sega
Age of empire. For the PC

Lunar was SO much better on Sega CD. Get an emulator and play it. Classic scenes in that version.

"GALEON NOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

UberBroncoMan
02-22-2009, 08:59 PM
The lack of love for Pokemon makes me sick.

I must admit I f'ed up by forgetting that series. Pokemon Blue was the first game I ever got on my Game Boy Color. Also while Pokemon Snap was gimmicky and short, it was actually a unique game.

I'm also a complete idiot for forgetting the Donkey Kong Series :(

Donkey Kong Country is one of the best games ever and it's sequels are just as good... Diddy Kong Racing was solid, and Donkey Kong 64, was awesome and very underrated to this day.

Could probably add F-Zero too... so many game series out there :pity:

AND WHY THE HELL DID I FORGET METROID!!!

Edit: Oh... good on Taco John for mentioning it...

Dark Helmet
02-23-2009, 12:33 AM

Yes it is. I just about threw my controller through the window trying to beat the freaking combo challenges. Seth is a b**** to beat..

Doggcow
02-23-2009, 12:39 AM
Yes it is. I just about threw my controller through the window trying to beat the freaking combo challenges. Seth is a b**** to beat..

I don't really care about the combos and ****. I've been playing online and when it comes down to it, crossup+low heavy kick is far and away the most effective move, along with being easy as ****.

Got a mad blister on my thumb though, I need to get the joystick.

HILife
02-23-2009, 04:13 AM
I like alot of those games, but only voted for Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy and Metal Gear. At the very top of the list is Metal Gear.

Rigs11
02-23-2009, 09:12 AM

just picked it up yesterday.man those graphics are amazing.how do you unlock the extra players?

Pontius Pirate
02-23-2009, 01:11 PM
It's not officially a series yet (part 2 is in the works), but Dead Space will be one of the all time greats:

http://www.comicmonsters.com/modules/Interviews/dead-space/deadspace2.jpg

bpc
02-23-2009, 01:35 PM
FINAL FANTASY (US) 1 - 9 AMAZING.

If you don't agree, I will fight you!

UberBroncoMan
02-23-2009, 02:07 PM
It's not officially a series yet (part 2 is in the works), but Dead Space will be one of the all time greats:

http://www.comicmonsters.com/modules/Interviews/dead-space/deadspace2.jpg

The strategic dismemberment and successful lack of GUI were definitely amazing. I wonder how many times "The Thing" can be ripped off though before people going...this again?! Humans/Organics are always getting mutated etc... The Flood in Halo or Headcrabs in Half-Life are other examples. Dead Space is definitely looking to be something special though from a gameplay perspective.

Bronco Yoda
02-23-2009, 03:08 PM
EA is the Devil

Rohirrim
02-23-2009, 04:52 PM
There are Civ fans on here? Excellent! :thumbs:

alkemical
02-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Dues Ex

broncs2bowl
02-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Mario Cart is the ultimate game series

NFLBRONCO
02-23-2009, 09:52 PM
I'm so glad I got one of the 60-gig PS3's when they came out, love the backward compatibility for both PSX and PS2 games.

Me too because I love playing my old games as well.

SleepingTiger
02-24-2009, 02:51 AM
Tekken 1, 2 3, Tekken Tag
Street Fighter - sf2, ssf, sfa1, sfa2
SF vs Xmen. Marvel vs Capcom
Mortal Kombat - mk1, mk2, umk
Gears of War 1 & 2
Grand Theft Auto - 3, san andreas
Doom - 1, 2

Killericon
02-24-2009, 03:02 AM
The Total War series.

Natedog24
02-24-2009, 03:22 AM
I've been told that I have a pretty broad taste in games:

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy Series (4 and 6 probably my favorites)
Total War Series
Half Life Series
Portal
Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3 and 4
Ultima Online
Age of Empires
Nintendo 64- Rare Developed FPS's (Golden Eye, Pefect Dark, Jet Force Gemini)
Halo CE
Bethesda RPG's (Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3)

To name a few Ha! ...

Florida_Bronco
02-24-2009, 05:52 AM
Doom has been one that has never disappointed me in PC version. Maybe the greatest game of all time. Duke Nukem and Quake also were solid series. Wolfenstein 3D gets an honorable mention. Grand Theft Auto has been pretty good too.

I think probably my favorite though, would be the SOCOM: US Navy SEALS series. 1 and 2 were absolutely great games, but while 3 took a step forward with weapon customization it took a step back in gameplay and the rest have followed suit. I haven't played the newest SOCOM, but I hope it's better than the other recent titles.

alkemical
02-24-2009, 06:06 AM
Oh ****, dues ex 3 is coming out

Garcia Bronco
02-24-2009, 06:43 AM
Knights of the Old Republic

Pontius Pirate
02-25-2009, 11:18 AM
EA is the Devil

Dude, EA has really turned it around. Among all developers, their games are now the highest rated on Metacritic. I'm excited for some of their new games coming out next year

goldengopher1976
02-25-2009, 11:48 AM
Didn't see anything there for the role-playing crowd...Baldur's Gate is my favorite for PC, Elder Scrolls for XBOX.

alkemical
02-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Didn't see anything there for the role-playing crowd...Baldur's Gate is my favorite for PC, Elder Scrolls for XBOX.

I dunno man - RPG's have changed. It's one reason i love the Dues Ex series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dues_Ex

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_Ex:_Invisible_War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_Ex_3

Doggcow
02-25-2009, 12:57 PM
I never got into Baldurs gate personally.. Just cant stand DND ******ry (unless it's integrated like in KOTR)