PDA

View Full Version : Raven's safety will be FA

thumpc
02-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Safety Jim Leonhard made a name for himself with an outstanding playoff performance, but that might not be enough to keep him in Baltimore.

Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome indicated Leonhard could be headed elsewhere this offseason.

He has to look at if he comes back, hes competing for a starting job. If he goes to one of these 31 other teams, then he will probably go in and be a starter and everyone wants to play, said Newsome.

I understand Jimmy probably wants to go somewhere else.

The free agent to be was a revelation during his fourth season. He started 13 games and established career highs with 69 tackles and six passes defensed.

In the postseason, Leonhard was at his best, putting up spectacular numbers. He had 16 tackles, one interception, a forced fumble, two fumble recoveries and a 0.5 sack in three playoff games.

He was also a valuable punt returner and special teams performer

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/21/newsome-ravens-leonhard-likely-moving-on/

Gcver2ver3
02-21-2009, 02:50 PM
i think it was pretty obvious that with the Ravens trying to give Suggs and RayRay big money that this guy was going to get a chance to go elsewhere...

i don't want him here if he thinks he deserves top safety money...he may or may not be a product of the great system he played under...

ludo21
02-21-2009, 02:56 PM
He might be one of the only good FA available, I hope the team has a look at him.

_Oro_
02-21-2009, 02:57 PM
This guy is a gamer and should be brought in. Obviously we don't want to give him Al Davis money but we should try to get him.

cutthemdown
02-21-2009, 03:38 PM
I think Broncos can find help at safety in FA, and Linebacker in the draft. DE/DT's will be harder to come by. Who knows maybe Crowder has some upside with the new regime.

cutthemdown
02-21-2009, 03:40 PM
the also have Landry as a restricted FA. NE often made offers to restricted FA if they thought the player was worth it. I like Landry a lot. Anyone know what we would have to give up if we signed Landry and Ravens declined to match?

I know Landry hasn't played a lot yet but he has all the tools and seems athletic to me.

JCsuperstar
02-21-2009, 03:43 PM
I though landry had hurt his neck last year and that was why he wasn't playing

theAPAOps5
02-21-2009, 03:44 PM
I loved watching this guy play. They picked him up off the streets too. Rex Ryan said he is the fastest player ever to grasp his defense. Took him 3 days. I bet the Jets make a run.

nickademus
02-21-2009, 03:51 PM
the also have Landry as a restricted FA. NE often made offers to restricted FA if they thought the player was worth it. I like Landry a lot. Anyone know what we would have to give up if we signed Landry and Ravens declined to match?

I know Landry hasn't played a lot yet but he has all the tools and seems athletic to me.

Landry is the S I would want out of Balt unless Ed Reed is available. Landry is an RFA but if it could be done I would throw a poision pill Balt's way.

DB_champ24
02-21-2009, 04:23 PM
I'd love him but I think the Jets have the best shot at him.

socalorado
02-21-2009, 04:27 PM

I believe Landry was given a 3rd round tenure by BALT. I f i remember correctly.
Leonhard is 5' 8" and looked good because of all the others around him. He isnt bad, but not worth it to DEN considering they have massive holes to fill.
He is however, a very solid return man.

Borks147
02-21-2009, 04:27 PM
I'd love him but I think the Jets have the best shot at him.

He is from Wisconsin...hopefully geography and more money makes it worth his while to come to Denver

SoDak Bronco
02-21-2009, 04:45 PM
He is from Wisconsin...hopefully geography and more money makes it worth his while to come to Denver

have you looked a map lately?? Wisconsin and Denver aren't very close Hilarious!

snowspot66
02-21-2009, 06:33 PM
No but I sure as hell would want to move to Denver if I lived in Wisconsin.

Borks147
02-21-2009, 07:14 PM
have you looked a map lately?? Wisconsin and Denver aren't very close Hilarious!

bah you're right, I'd still rather be in Denver than NYC though

SportinOne
02-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Leonhard is a very smart player and is pretty athletic, but he'd be wise to move to a team with a solid defense already established. I think us Denver fans would love the way he plays, he's a hard worker, but like many here I just don't think he's as good when he's the "star".

ZONA
02-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Why didn't you just name the thread "Jim Leonhard is a FA"? Probably because you wanted everybody to think it was Ed Reed and to come in here and see. You're not sly at all dude.

But right now I have to say Jim Leonhard is probably better then anybody we have playing safety, which isn't saying much. :egbgb:

rovolution
02-22-2009, 12:08 AM
not a fan of leanord. hes light years better than anything we had last season (well even high school safeties are) but im not a big fan of his ball skills. yea 6 passes defended but only 1 pick in the reg season. Landry is the safety i want as well. hes got ball skills and thats what we need at safety. freaking interceptions. Last time Denver had a safety with ball skills was Tyrone Braxton. (Atwater was a great in the box/blitzer type but not the greatest cover guy as we all know)

dbfan4life
02-22-2009, 12:09 AM
What about Ed Reeeeeeeeed????!!!!

ZONA
02-22-2009, 12:19 AM
not a fan of leanord. hes light years better than anything we had last season (well even high school safeties are) but im not a big fan of his ball skills. yea 6 passes defended but only 1 pick in the reg season. Landry is the safety i want as well. hes got ball skills and thats what we need at safety. freaking interceptions. Last time Denver had a safety with ball skills was Tyrone Braxton. (Atwater was a great in the box/blitzer type but not the greatest cover guy as we all know)

Yet it was Atwater who knocked the Farve pass down on the final play of Superbowl 32 to secure the win. He was good enough in coverage when he had to be.

EDIT:

Doh, strike that. It was a LB, I think Atwater was out cold on the side line at that point...........lol.

BroncoMan4ever
02-22-2009, 01:46 AM
Yet it was Atwater who knocked the Farve pass down on the final play of Superbowl 32 to secure the win. He was good enough in coverage when he had to be.

EDIT:

Doh, strike that. It was a LB, I think Atwater was out cold on the side line at that point...........lol.

Mobley knocked down Favre's final pass which was intended for TE Chmura. Atwater and I think Tyrone Braxton knocked each other out on the previous play

BroncoMan4ever
02-22-2009, 01:46 AM
i would be all for bringing in Leonhard as long as he doesn't think he is deserving of Ed Reed or Bob Sanders money.

Vladimir
02-22-2009, 01:50 AM
I'd like to see us give him a chance with some sort of incentive laden deal, although I'm sure incentive laden deals probably aren't all that enticing to free agents.

montrose
02-22-2009, 01:55 AM
I'd be weary, many Ravens defenders through the years have left and not panned out elsewhere. One could even argue Adalius Thomas has been a bit of a disappointment in New England based on what they paid for him. Ed Hartwell, Will Demps, Marques Douglas and Duane Starks are all guys that looked much better in Baltimore's system than the new teams they joined.

Leonard looks like a guy with some good upside, but I would rather have some of the other safeties on the market like Sanders, Phillips, Bell, Jones, Hill or Brown.

rovolution
02-22-2009, 10:46 AM

EDIT:

may i remind you steve dropped a gimme INT in SB 32 which would have probably made him MVP of that game.

like i said we all know his forte wasnt intercepting passes. I want a safety that gets 4+ picks a season. we havent had a safety like that since Tyrone. (though i do remember Nick Fergeson intercepting a number of passes in 2005)