PDA

View Full Version : Potentially realistic draft Rounds 1-2

illbroncsfn
02-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Denver trades out of the #12 slot to the early 20's w/a willing dance partner and picks up an additional 2nd round choice, thus making the 2009 Denver Broncos Rd 1-2 selections the following:

1) pick 20 or so... Brian Cushing - LB USC- Denver gets the necessard SOLB for an elite 3-4 defense- Cushing may be the most versatile LB minus A.Curry in the draft

2) pick mid/late 30's- picked up in trade- Ron Brace- NT- B.C.- Hopefully attaining the ever elusive 3-4 NT....

3) original pick in 2nd rd- late 40's- Patrick Chung- S- Oregon- Reminds me of a HEALTHY Mike Brown.

Discuss.......:thanku:

ludo21
02-21-2009, 07:22 AM
the fact that im seeing the same thing basically over and over again here makes me think we will not do this.

I dont mind that scenario though.

mattob14
02-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Denver trades out of the #12 slot to the early 20's w/a willing dance partner and picks up an additional 2nd round choice, thus making the 2009 Denver Broncos Rd 1-2 selections the following:

1) pick 20 or so... Brian Cushing - LB USC- Denver gets the necessard SOLB for an elite 3-4 defense- Cushing may be the most versatile LB minus A.Curry in the draft

2) pick mid/late 30's- picked up in trade- Ron Brace- NT- B.C.- Hopefully attaining the ever elusive 3-4 NT....

3) original pick in 2nd rd- late 40's- Patrick Chung- S- Oregon- Reminds me of a HEALTHY Mike Brown.

Discuss.......:thanku:

This is what I think most of us would like to see happen. The only thing I question is the 2nd round pick acquired in trade. If we move into the low-20's, we're going to get a comparable 2nd round pick along with it, not a high-2nd (there just aren't any teams out there with late 1sts and high 2nds). That would be in the low-mid 50's, not the 30's. We can still get good talent at that point though.

illbroncsfn
02-21-2009, 11:09 AM
What is very appealing to me w/a Cushing/Brace/Chung draft scenario is that we provide talent and I believe 2 potential game changers (Cushing/Chung) to our defense while addressing the DL/LB Corp/and Secondary.

What may be a bit naiive on my part is that I do believe that Ron Brace's potential to be a bust is higher than most, and w/the new glut of teams switching to a 3-4 front Brace continues to climb in the draft while not doing anything to substantiate the rise other than being a 3-4 NT on paper....

Paladin
02-21-2009, 11:19 AM
That might be fixed by covering your bet with a pick of a NT-candidate like a Miller or Hill in the third or fourth. Since the SB is not likely next year anyway, why not get guys who have potential and train them for the year? Big possible payoffs, maybe. I would stick to DE/LB picks the rest of the way.

BroncoMan4ever
02-21-2009, 11:30 AM
This is what I think most of us would like to see happen. The only thing I question is the 2nd round pick acquired in trade. If we move into the low-20's, we're going to get a comparable 2nd round pick along with it, not a high-2nd (there just aren't any teams out there with late 1sts and high 2nds). That would be in the low-mid 50's, not the 30's. We can still get good talent at that point though.

i agree and Chung will probably be gone by the mid 50's pick, so i would take Cushing in the 1st, Brace with our 2nd or try to move up and make sure we get him, and Rashard Jennings with the late 2nd rounder.

ColoradoBuff
02-22-2009, 09:01 AM
no on Chung. Would rather have Delmas or Johnson.

nickademus
02-22-2009, 09:52 AM
I would take Delmas over Chung but not Johnson. I like Johnson as a FS and if we could pair him with Chung I would be stoked but I doubt this happens as it is FA will determine which way we lean at S.

Dedhed
02-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Without any trades we can probably get Brace and Delmas, who is a better S prospect than Chung. And get a better player than Cushing.

bpc
02-22-2009, 07:55 PM
I think there are a plethora of good safeties out on the free agent. I don't think Ron Brace is the answer either. Gotta build in other areas in my opinion.

Carmelo15
02-23-2009, 01:27 AM
I don't mind the trade down idea at all. Cushing wouldn't be my ideal candidate at #20 but I definitely wouldnt be mad if we took him. If I'm Brian Xanders I try to pull a trade with Philly. They need a OT badly. If one of the top 4 OT's is still there at #12 they would likely look to move up since their rvial Redskins would likely pick him up with the next pick, whether it be Michael Oher or Andre Smith. We can trade them #12 and #78 for #21 and #28. I like this idea because there are several players in that area of the draft that I would like the Broncos to get: Tyson Jackson, Knowshon Moreno, Rey Maualuga, Larry English, Clint Sintim, Brian Cushing, James Laurinitis and Chris Wells. I don't believe safety will be a need because I believe will address that in free agency. If we don't sign a replacement for Dre Bly in free agency then I love Victor "Macho" Harris at #48. If we do sign a corner then I like Max Unger at that spot. But if one those guys I mentioned in the first round fall the the 2nd I think the Broncos will look to move up from 48 to get them. McDaniels made it clear they will be targeting certain players so I definitely think we will move to get those guys he likes. We need some rookies who can make an impact!

Carmelo15
02-23-2009, 01:31 AM
If we did get #33 I would be disappointed if we took Ron Brace. We should not reach just because that position has high value. If your drafting at 33 you should be getting an impact player which Brace would realistically not be. Paladin is right we would be better off drafting a project like Sammie Lee Hill later in the draft and develop. We can sign Grady Jackson as a stop-gap nose while he develops

TheReverend
02-23-2009, 05:03 AM
I think there are a plethora of good safeties out on the free agent. I don't think Ron Brace is the answer either. Gotta build in other areas in my opinion.

He's at least as good an answer as Raji is at the nose, and everyone's creaming their pants to throw the #12 pick at him!

bpc
02-23-2009, 07:33 AM
He's at least as good an answer as Raji is at the nose, and everyone's creaming their pants to throw the #12 pick at him!

I've let my feelings be known on both. Honestly, I don't think either are good fits. Brace is average. I don't see that changing and I don't believe in drafting for desperation. Raji is a very good player but he's most effective in that crooked 1 technique that Michael Dean Perry used to make famous. I don't see Raji as a true nose tackle. His speed, quickness and burst off the LOS is going to be negated if he is put over the top of the center. He is at his best when he's in a one gap defense which allows him to get off the ball quickly and play one side of a blocker which he can usually exploit. I think Raji would be very similar to Dewayne Robertson when he played in the 3-4. They both have many similar attributes.

TheReverend
02-23-2009, 07:41 AM
I've let my feelings be known on both. Honestly, I don't think either are good fits. Brace is average. I don't see that changing and I don't believe in drafting for desperation. Raji is a very good player but he's most effective in that crooked 1 technique that Michael Dean Perry used to make famous. I don't see Raji as a true nose tackle. His speed, quickness and burst off the LOS is going to be negated if he is put over the top of the center. He is at his best when he's in a one gap defense which allows him to get off the ball quickly and play one side of a blocker which he can usually exploit. I think Raji would be very similar to Dewayne Robertson when he played in the 3-4. They both have many similar attributes.

Sadly, desperation is exactly where we're at. We've fired our HoF coach, fired the best draft evaluators in the game, and replaced them with a sportswriter and a capologist.

Given that current situation, I could deal with Brace. IF Raji is available at 12 and goes to Denver while Maualuga sits on the board, I'll drink myself to sleep and hope it was a bad dream.

SoDak Bronco
02-23-2009, 07:46 AM
i don't think we move from the #12 spot unless someone blows are socks off. Which I don't see happening. I can see Malcom Jekins falling and us picking him..Even though I don't love it, i can see that happening.

montrose
02-23-2009, 08:10 AM
I love me some Cush. I'm begining to wonder how long it's going to be before people realize Raji is not a NT.

nickademus
02-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Raji will be a good DT I just dont like him for us. Brace seems to benifit from the lack of NTs in this draft and it will move him up a round and a half because of it. I love Brace in the third but no sooner. I would rather trade down with Philly as Melo 15 suggests but who knows what these guys will do. If it were a shanny led office you could count on some movement but I have no feeling whatsoever as to what this group will do.

cmhargrove
02-23-2009, 08:18 AM
I love me some Cush. I'm begining to wonder how long it's going to be before people realize Raji is not a NT.

Also, there are about 5-6 guys at the combine that are in the 320 lb range. There might be more value in picking up one of those guys to develop (if Raji will also need to develop).

snowspot66
02-23-2009, 09:39 AM
I'm on board the draft a fat guy late program. A fat guy just standing in the way and immovable is a definite upgrade over the last two years.