PDA

View Full Version : Scheffler recovering from E. coli, Wiegmann/Peterson talk, Boss and Champ recovering

montrose
02-21-2009, 05:25 AM
Broncos report: Scheffler recovering from E. coli

Tony Scheffler's trip to the Pro Bowl to tag along with teammates Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler might have been memorable for all the wrong reasons.

Shortly after returning to Colorado, Scheffler fell ill and was admitted to a hospital. Testing revealed he had contracted E. Coli, bacteria that affects the lower intestines. The tight end might have contracted the bacteria during a visit to the Denver stock show, if not during his Hawaiian trek.

Scheffler was released after a three-day hospital stay and is returning to normal.

None of his teammates or family members was similarly affected.

ETC.: The Broncos are expected to meet with the agent for center Casey Wiegmann in the next 48 hours about a restructured contract. Wiegmann wants to play a couple of more seasons but is seeking a pay hike after a Pro Bowl season. He's slated to make $845,000 in base salary next season. . . . The Broncos aren't expected to retain many of their own free agents. But one player they're at least going to discuss bringing back is lineman Kenny Peterson, who at 6-3, 300 pounds can play defensive end in a three-man front.

Boss Bailey on comeback trail for Broncos

Linebacker Boss Bailey appears to be ahead of schedule in his comeback from microfracture surgery on his left knee in early November.

Bailey's agent, Jack Reale, said Bailey already has begun jogging, is building strength and is on track for a potential return in training camp.

Meanwhile, Bailey's brother, Champ, is making headway in his return from surgery to repair torn ligaments and a dislocation of his left elbow.

"Once it heals, you don't want to go in and start lifting a lot of weights with that arm. You've got to build up slowly. That'll be the process," Reale said, adding that Champ Bailey might be recovered in time for some limited minicamp activities. "He'll proceed at his pace with that arm and work everything else. And by the time they put pads on, he'll be ready to go."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/20/broncos-report-scheffler-recovering-e-coli/
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/20/bailey-comeback-trail-broncos/

backup qb
02-21-2009, 05:32 AM
Get Casey back. Make it happen

TheReverend
02-21-2009, 05:46 AM
Jesus Christ, Scheffler can't even eat a meal without getting injured...

alkemical
02-21-2009, 06:09 AM

He needs to change his # on his jersey i think.

illbroncsfn
02-21-2009, 06:48 AM
e.coli is seriously nasty stuff and sometimes deadly in 1-2% of cases- feel bad for Scheffler....

cutthemdown
02-21-2009, 06:49 AM
Boss at his size I just don't see fitting into a team that wants to give a lot of 3-4 looks. Woodyard is even smaller and fits a 3-4 even less.

cutthemdown
02-21-2009, 06:50 AM

lol. He's the type of guy you want to walk next to in a lightening storm.

Cito Pelon
02-21-2009, 09:24 AM
Boss at his size I just don't see fitting into a team that wants to give a lot of 3-4 looks. Woodyard is even smaller and fits a 3-4 even less.

I'm curious if ANY player has made a comeback from a microfractured knee.

Woodyard, I'm not giving up on him yet. He's not a midget LB, plus he's fast and ferocious. He's still a kid, only 22 right now. He's worth keeping on the roster for a couple years.

bap454
02-21-2009, 10:11 AM

Woodyard, I'm not giving up on him yet. He's not a midget LB, plus he's fast and ferocious. He's still a kid, only 22 right now. He's worth keeping on the roster for a couple years.

Agree,Woodyard is a player. There will be a spot for him one place or another.

SouthStndJunkie
02-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Crappy luck (literally) for Scheffler with E. Coli.

lostknight
02-21-2009, 10:37 AM
I've had E-Coli food poisoning. It's not a enjoyable experience. You can loose weight awfully fast that way.

DomCasual
02-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Life's lesson. Don't ever eat sushi that you buy in a convenience store.

Dudeskey
02-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Crappy luck (literally) for Scheffler with E. Coli.

no kidding... I like eating raw cookie dough too, but damn :wiggle:

Bronco Yoda
02-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Is Boss even going to fit into our new system... and coming back from such a nasty injury? I don't see him on our roster this year.

cutthemdown
02-21-2009, 11:20 AM

I think some lineman for sure have, but I'm not sure any speed type players like Boss have. Maybe someone with that information will chime in.

For sure though you would think a finesse type player like Boss Bailey, if he loses speed, he would be outright out of the NFL. He's that bad at taking on and shedding blocks, and I also doubt his overall knack for finding the football. Some guys just have that knack some don't.

I think Nalen had microfracture didn't he once? Can't remember.

cutthemdown
02-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Is Boss even going to fit into our new system... and coming back from such a nasty injury? I don't see him on our roster this year.

He's almost big enough to play inside in a 3-4 but not quite IMO. Mostly I say that because he plays sort of soft. You need wither 250 lbs backers, or 240 pounders with an attitude like Scott in Balt. If we keep one smaller type inside backer for the 3-4 I'd say it will be DJ. If you put Boss next to DJ inside in a 3-4 IMO they would get pushed around by guards all day long.

Popps
02-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Boss Bailey?

Why are we talking about this guy?

We can't be entertaining the idea of slotting him in as a starter. I can't imagine anything quite so stupid, with the possible exception of re-signing Engelberger.

Popps
02-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Let me re-cap Boss Bailey for those unaware...

1. Wasn't very good in Detroit
2. Gained a rep as a soft player.
3. Gained a rep as a guy always dealing with injuries.
4. Confirmed that injury rep in the first goddamned game he played in as a Bronco.
5. FURTHER confirmed that rep when he returned.
6. Looked marginal at best the few plays he WAS healthy.

So again, why is this waste of cap space's name being thrown around in articles again?

Inkana7
02-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Popps has found his new foe.

broncolife
02-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Boss Bailey?

We can't be entertaining the idea of slotting him in as a starter. I can't imagine anything quite so stupid, with the possible exception of re-signing Engelberger.

I agree. But so far the front office has got rid of everyone that most of us wanted gone, so theres hope.I think the only 2 left are Boss and Prater. Blys the only one I wanted here since we didnt save anything on the cap and the different coordinators,crappy front 7 and safties didnt help him or Champ much.

ZONA
02-21-2009, 05:04 PM
There are plenty of athletes that have made great comebacks from micro. The process of the surgery is getting more advanced all the time. Just look at how many basketball players have came back from that and the sport they play is more athletic then football. So, while I'm sure Boss could make a full recovery, I just don't think it really matter because he sucked before he got hurt so making a full recovery to being a ****ty player is no big news. Cut him now. :wave:

broncolife
02-21-2009, 05:05 PM
There are plenty of athletes that have made great comebacks from micro. The process of the surgery is getting more advanced all the time. Just look at how many basketball players have came back from that and the sport they play is more athletic then football. So, while I'm sure Boss could make a full recovery, I just don't think it really matter because he sucked before he got hurt so making a full recovery to being a ****ty player is no big news. Cut him now. :wave:

:thumbsup: QFT

nickademus
02-21-2009, 08:09 PM

I am not sure about the nfl but K-mart had two of them one on each knee and it took in nearly 2 years to get back to where he was.

cutthemdown
02-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Boss Bailey?

I totally agree and pretty much never understood why we signed him. IMO it had to be because it made Champ happy.

BroncoDoug
02-21-2009, 08:18 PM
I am not sure about the nfl but K-mart had two of them one on each knee and it took in nearly 2 years to get back to where he was.

Same with Amare Stoudimire, he had one, and missed an entire season because of it.

Vladimir
02-22-2009, 12:41 AM
Please cut Boss Bailey.

montrose
02-22-2009, 12:58 AM
I totally agree and pretty much never understood why we signed him. IMO it had to be because it made Champ happy.

We needed a true SAM and Boss fit that. Being Champ's brother certainly helped but after a year in which Nate Webster was playing the SAM spot, and since we hadn't had a true SAM since Romo (excluding a brief stint with Donnie Spragen), their thinking was getting a true SAM, a true MIKE (who they thought would be Niko) and a true WILL (DJ) would improve the unit. The logic made sense, it's just that they totally missed on Niko's ability and Boss continued his career-long inability to stay healthy.

Cito Pelon
02-22-2009, 09:05 AM
Let me re-cap Boss Bailey for those unaware...

1. Wasn't very good in Detroit
2. Gained a rep as a soft player.
3. Gained a rep as a guy always dealing with injuries.
4. Confirmed that injury rep in the first goddamned game he played in as a Bronco.
5. FURTHER confirmed that rep when he returned.
6. Looked marginal at best the few plays he WAS healthy.

So again, why is this waste of cap space's name being thrown around in articles again?

Well, it's his agent providing the insight, and apparently someone in the press and his editor got a good dinner, maybe a table dance. It's a tit for tat kind of deal.

Popps
02-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Well, it's his agent providing the insight, and apparently someone in the press and his editor got a good dinner, maybe a table dance. It's a tit for tat kind of deal.

:rofl:

Hogan11
02-22-2009, 10:43 AM

I've seen this happen before, for what it's worth. In Montreal with the Expos, in order to keep Vlad Guerrero in town and happy, they moved heaven and earth to trade for his older brother Wilton...who was about as worthless as they come. Boss didn't cost the Broncos quite as much as this move did however. Anyways, yes things like this do indeed take place to keep stars happy....I'll leave it up to the individual to decide if it's a good thing or not.