PDA

View Full Version : Mcaniels says Broncos will move to 3-4 and be aggresive in free agency

DeusExManning
02-20-2009, 05:37 PM
http://www.examiner.com/a-1862814~McDaniels__Broncos_will_use_3_4_defensive_ strategy.html

McDaniels: Broncos will use 3-4 defensive strategy

INDIANAPOLIS (Map, News) - Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels confirmed Friday that he will employ the 3-4 defensive alignment and suggested the team won't be hamstrung by finances in free agency.

In his first public comments since he was introduced as Mike Shanahan's successor last month, McDaniels said at his NFL combine scouting news conference Friday that the Broncos will be aggressive when free agency begins Feb. 27.

"We're interested in a lot of things and we have areas we can improve on. We have, obviously like every team does, needs and holes to fill, so if there's a player out there we feel will fill that, then we're going to be aggressive in pursuing," McDaniels said.

"We have (salary cap) room available, so we'll see how it goes in the next few weeks."
This story continues below
Advertisement

The Broncos cleared about $30 million in cap space this week by releasing seven veterans, most of them on defense, putting them under the $123 million salary cap for 2009.

Even with the economy faltering, team owner Pat Bowlen apparently is ready to open his pocketbook more than he did last offseason, when the Broncos didn't sign any big-name free agents.

"Just the salary cap," McDaniels said of financial barriers the Broncos will face. "We do have cap room available so we'll see how it goes in the next few weeks."

The Broncos especially need help on defense, where they finished at or near the bottom in every major category last season while surrendering 448 points.

McDaniels and new general manager Brian Xanders released five players who started on defense last year: cornerback Dre' Bly, safety Marquand Manuel, defensive linemen John Engelberger and Dewayne Robertson and linebacker Jamie Winborn.

In his wide-ranging interview, McDaniels acknowledged publicly for the first time that the team will change its strategy and rely heavily, if not exclusively, on three down linemen and four linebackers.

"You're going to see some 3-4 from us," McDaniels said. "I'm not going to say we're going to be all 3-4, but it's going to be some combination thereof. I think the 3-4 defense presents some unique challenges to an offense."

McDaniels served on Bill Belichick's staff in New England, and the Patriots used the 3-4 during their Super Bowl runs.

The switch to the 3-4 means the Broncos will be looking for a nose tackle and outside linebackers, either in free agency or in the April draft.

McDaniels also said he's met several times with quarterback Jay Cutler, who had voiced his displeasure at Shanahan's' firing on Dec. 30 after the team failed to reach the playoffs for the third straight season.

"I wasn't worried about it. I met with him several times, and I'm confident in what I can do and what our staff can do and how good we can be, and Jay's going to be a big part of that," McDaniels said. "My focus is on telling him how he's going to be better, because we all can improve. Certainly, that's our goal.

"That's what my communication with him has been, to get him up to speed and to talk to him how I feel next year and going forward is going to be different than the years he's played here already in Denver. I think we have a good relationship now. It's definitely on the right track, and I'm looking forward to working with him this year."

With his background tutoring Tom Brady and Matt Cassel, McDaniels will work closely with Cutler to develop the team's new offense.

McDaniels also said he was consulted by team officials on the decision to promote Xanders from assistant GM last week and that the two of them will work together in building the roster.

BroncoMan4ever
02-20-2009, 05:40 PM
there is already a thread about this

wolf754life
02-20-2009, 06:34 PM
mike shanahan should have never hired josh mcdaniels, its all pat bowlens fault. niko koutevides was the answer, why didn't mcdaniels agree with mikey mansion?

:-( i wish shanagreat was back so our franchise could be elite again.

broncosteven
02-20-2009, 06:58 PM
mike shanahan should have never hired josh mcdaniels, its all pat bowlens fault. niko koutevides was the answer, why didn't mcdaniels agree with mikey mansion?

Is there a thread you haven't complained about Shanny on the Front page?

Did your wife leave you, someone kick your dog or piss in your wheaties, bullies steal your lunch money, your boyfriend tell you your pee pee was too small?

Shanny is gone, you got what you wanted.

wolf754life
02-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Is there a thread you haven't complained about Shanny on the Front page?

Did your wife leave you, someone kick your dog or piss in your wheaties, bullies steal your lunch money, your boyfriend tell you your pee pee was too small?

Shanny is gone, you got what you wanted.

Lets talk about What I Want..................

I want the broncos to play hard again, to play with heart, to hold people accountable, to make sound decisions on the field and in the front office.
No more nepotism....

I don't even care about our record, just compete, just play hard.........

thats all the wolf wants.

TheDave
02-20-2009, 07:04 PM

I want the broncos to play hard again, to play with heart, to hold people accountable, to make sound decisions on the field and in the front office.
No more nepotism....

I'm guessing that McDaniels hiring his brother must of sent you over the edge.

broncosteven
02-20-2009, 07:05 PM

No more nepotism....

Suit up.

Maybe MickyD pulls a Vermin-Eel and has an open Tryout to find players this TC. You can play Special teams and pump up the players and have a movie made about your move from "Internets pain in the ass" to motivator for a SB team.

The worst that could happen is that Khan reports from camp that you have been pummled and cannot type anymore.

wolf754life
02-20-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm guessing that McDaniels hiring his brother must of sent you over the edge.

he hired his brother to pick up footballs and give water to guys at camp, not run our defense, nor draft or sign players................. see the difference

your a real gem sweetpea!

TheDave
02-20-2009, 07:07 PM
he hired his brother to pick up footballs and give water to guys at camp, not run our defense, nor draft or sign players................. see the difference

your a real gem sweetpea!

I suppose your "sources" in Dove Valley told you that...

wolf754life
02-20-2009, 07:09 PM
I suppose your "sources" in Dove Valley told you that...

you have no idea

TheDave
02-20-2009, 07:11 PM
you have no idea

Thats the one benefit of talking to you... I don't have to.

BroncoFiend
02-20-2009, 07:35 PM

Shanahan is gone now, you can officially stop bashing him. Try saying something positive, about anything, it will be a life changing experience for you.

Wes Mantooth
02-20-2009, 10:47 PM
you have no idea

I am pretty certain that if your sources were what you imply they are, you would not be here.

Bronco Yoda
02-20-2009, 11:46 PM
We need a legit big body up front and center now. Any ideas?

SouthStndJunkie
02-21-2009, 01:23 AM
I watched the interview with Adam Schefter today....and my douche meter still has not registered any unusual levels of douchiness when listening to McDaniels.

So far I like what I hear from him and how he carries himself.

DenverBrit
02-21-2009, 04:21 AM

If repetitive whining were a sport, you'd be an Olympian.

You complained when Shanny was here and now he's gone, you still complain and whine.

You're a chronic complainer and one sad little man. Give it a rest!

baja
02-21-2009, 05:38 AM

You know when you were b****hing about Shanahan I was not one of those guys that got on you about it because I felt you were justified to a point but posts like this show you to be a guy more interested in blowing your own horn than anything else. Shanny is gone and we got what appears to be a young exciting head coach now it the time to enjoy watching the new regime build a new team with a completely new look on defense and not to gloat on every thread about how you were the among the first to call for Shannys head, that is when you weren't singing his praises after a win. You don't wonder why everyone gets pissed off at you do you?

Broncos_OTM
02-21-2009, 06:28 AM
You know when you were b****hing about Shanahan I was not one of those guys that got on you about it because I felt you were justified to a point but posts like this show you to be a guy more interested in blowing your own horn than anything else. Shanny is gone and we got what appears to be a young exciting head coach now it the time to enjoy watching the new regime build a new team with a completely new look on defense and not to gloat on every thread about how you were the among the first to call for Shannys head, that is when you weren't singing his praises after a win. You don't wonder why everyone gets pissed off at you do you?

He's like a little kid. I told you i told you. blah you didnt tell us jack until it was reported. that is what blows me away. is that all his speculation comes to light AFTER it is reported by the news agencies.

Sources my ass. the only source he has is Rockymoutainnews.com and the Denverpost

Hercules Rockefeller
02-21-2009, 09:15 AM
Seeing some 3-4 and some combination of it as he says in the article is not the same thing as moving to the 3-4. We saw some 3-4 last year too, doesn't mean it was a 3-4 defense.