PDA

View Full Version : Some "poor" news (from Denver Radio)

Broncoman13
02-19-2009, 09:46 PM
As I suspected the Broncos are in trouble financially. But the problem is much worse than people realize. The Broncos are being very quiet about the situation but the players were pretty open about it. The talk? The Denver Broncos would have struggled to sell out a home playoff game! Hard to believe I know. But, they quote Casey Weigman as saying several of the players talked about it often in the locker room. It was bad enough that Channel 4 was brought up and discussed selling the final 3,000 tickets to prevent a blackout. The DENVER BRONCOS and BLACKOUT in the same sentence... that can't be right... can it? I've heard some unofficial numbers and discussed it with a few people on the Mane, but the season ticket wait list... well, lets just say it is not nearly as long as it was just four years ago. I know for a fact that a friend of mine that put in for his in 2004 (a year before me) was contacted for his 4 seats. There was an 11-13 year wait list when I put in for mine in 2005... so that should give you an idea of how many people aren't willing to buy tix right now. Also on the radio today they discussed the number of season ticket holders that did not purchase the playoff tickets. If the Broncos would have hosted the Colts, Denver would have been in trouble in terms of a sell out for the first time since I've been a fan! I've heard as many as 40% of season ticket holders returned playoff tickets to the Denver Broncos last year. They actually printed the tickets though nobody received a physical ticket. 60% of the season ticket holders paid the retention fee/partial payment for the playoff tickets. That is about 40,000 seats. The Broncos are purging salary right now and there are still many that feel they will not use that available cap space. Not b/c the Broncos don't want marquee talent, but b/c they do not have the cash to pay out these hefty frontloaded contracts that are going around right now. The Denver Broncos may very well be thankful that guys like Suggs, Atogwe, and Peppers were tagged... it gives them a good excuse to not pursue them now.

There was a caller that brought up an excellent point as well. When discussing the Bronco fans, the caller suggested that WE fans have become spoiled. He mentioned that a long drought of winning seasons could be the only thing to bring the spirit back to Denver. Personally, the NFL has become such a big business that we may never get that back. Most diehard fans will never be able to afford season tickets again and the invention of "perfect" television will only add to the decreasing fanaticism in Denver. Short of half price tickets, I may not go to another game at Invesco for quite some time. Maybe a long drought of winning seasons will do the trick and snap me and all of us diehards back to being real fans!

baja
02-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Pessst, there is a depression on and believe it or not the Broncos football team will be affected.

tsiguy96
02-19-2009, 10:00 PM
the NFL is fueling the depression by firing a ton of their employees. yea, firing 15 employees, many likely with families, making 50k a year makes sense, as opposed to not paying a single player as much cash.

Broncoman13
02-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Pessst, there is a depression on and believe it or not the Broncos football team will be affected.

Man, I can't get anything past you... quick one this Baja fella is!!! ;D

NO SHIAT SHERLOCK! Bottom line, don't expect any big names this offseason and I still contend we're going flashy in the first round of the draft. Wells, Moreno, Maualuga.

ludo21
02-19-2009, 10:01 PM
wow. Blackout and Denver doesn't go together thats for sure.

TV becoming so life like and affordable is really going to mess with Owners and selling seats for sure.

baja
02-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Man, I can't get anything past you... quick one this Baja fella is!!! ;D

NO SHIAT SHERLOCK! Bottom line, don't expect any big names this offseason and I still contend we're going flashy in the first round of the draft. Wells, Moreno, Maualuga.

All teams will be spending much less not just the Broncos the tagged guys are the lucky ones the FA offers will be skinny this season.

yerner
02-19-2009, 10:17 PM
So Bowlen is switching from Johnnie Walker Blue to Green? Hard times, hard times.

BroncoBuff
02-19-2009, 10:19 PM
It's all nonsense ... nobody knows how playoff tickets will sell until they actually go on sale. Maybe the season ticket holders were slow in exercising their options to buy as the reg season wound down, but that might just mean they wanted to hold on to their cash until they were sure they had to spend it.

Who cares what Casey Weigmann was talking about in the lockerroom.

I firmly believe there little truth to the financial woes story ... but I guess we'll find out soon after free agency opens next Friday.

FireFly
02-19-2009, 10:20 PM
So Bowlen is switching from Johnnie Walker Blue to Green? Hard times, hard times.

I doubt things have progressed that far for him!

BigPlayShay
02-19-2009, 10:24 PM
my family has 8 season tickets in total. we were only going to purchase half of the playoff tickets had the Broncos hosted a playoff game.

cutler_to_marshall
02-19-2009, 10:25 PM

TV becoming so life like and affordable is really going to mess with Owners and selling seats for sure.

ahhh but nothing can beat stomping your feet, clapping your hands, and feeling that rocky mountain thunder !

DBroncos4life
02-19-2009, 10:31 PM
they might get crazy and lower some prices because some money is always better then no money.

enjolras
02-19-2009, 10:34 PM
This was all pure speculation by the yutzes on the radio (I listened to part of it). A playoff game would have easily sold out. This town is starving for postseason football.

BroncoBuff
02-19-2009, 10:36 PM
This was all pure speculation by the yutzes on the radio (I listened to part of it). A playoff game would have easily sold out. This town is starving for postseason football.
Word.

broncofan2438
02-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Lowering the prices seems smart to us but not to Bowlen. He still has bills to pay and Im sure he would love to fill the stadium if he could. Reading this was a little depressing knowing that no matter how bad the economy is we still have our Broncos. If this in fact true, this sucks. I still can't understand how the Faiders deal contracts like they do each year. It doesn't make sense. The Broncos better do some dealing this year, or its gonna be another tough season to watch, with a half filled stadium.

coachmastermind
02-19-2009, 10:42 PM
They actually printed the tickets though nobody received a physical ticket.

Really? I have my physical tickets still sitting on my desk.

ZONA
02-19-2009, 10:47 PM
The owners are to blame for this whole mess. Years and years ago we knew if they kept paying these players too much money, ticket prices would soar. Well, they did. They cut off much of their fan base that went to games. So owners wanted new stadiums so they could get box seats and sell those to corporations to make up for some of that. Okay, I can live with that. But the normal seat pricing kept going up and up and up and so did the concession items. I mean, a decent seat for a couple, 2 hotdogs, a few beers and parking, your out $250.00. And that's for the person going once. You want to go to a few games per year, like 3 or 4, you're out a grand.

It's not just recession. It's owners who jack up prices to keep their profit line high while having to pay players insane amounts.

If the NFL wants to get their stadiums full again, they're gonna have to stop raising prices and players are gonna have to start taking cuts as well.

I think strike will be unavoidable on the next negotiations. Owners won't and CAN'T give players more. And the greedy MF players will cry and strike. **** them. Get the replacements in here then. Play some MF football. Let the rich cats who play a game for a living making millions and millions sit at home losing money.

bpc
02-19-2009, 10:59 PM
It's plausible. Fear of losing money, season ticket holders might have been enough to push Bowlen to fire Shanahan if the crowds were bored with him.

Then again his whole speech about being measured by Championships and being determined to get more contradicts this thinking.

SouthStndJunkie
02-19-2009, 11:02 PM

I received mine.

I threw it on my stack of printed playoff tickets for games that were never played.

Jens1893
02-19-2009, 11:07 PM
It's plausible. Fear of losing money, season ticket holders might have been enough to push Bowlen to fire Shanahan if the crowds were bored with him.

Then again his whole speech about being measured by Championships and being determined to get more contradicts this thinking.

Talk is cheap.

BroncoMan4ever
02-20-2009, 12:07 AM
there is a depression going on, and sadly we haven't been any good for a decade except for the occasional season mixed in the past decade

also factor in that a lot of the true die hard fans who would gladly go to every game regardless of the team's record, can't go as much because we can't afford the almost 100 a ticket, plus 25 or more to park, to go to a game. also there are a lot of bandwagon fans that won't pay that much even if they had it to see a team get beat.

however, considering it has been 3 years now since we have been to the playoffs, there is no chance in hell that stadium would not have sold out had we made the playoffs.

i have talked about putting my name on the list for season tickets for years, and now that i am capable of doing it, i don't have the money required if by some fluke chance i get picked for them.

in Denver there will always be fans in the stands, but, there aren't going to be as many people trying to get there hands on season tickets until the economy is straightened out, and in some people's minds until the team improves.

eddie mac
02-20-2009, 01:27 AM
Bottom line, we're still under a CBA, Bowlen still has to have approx $110m in salaries counting against the 2009 cap.

If he's gonna be as tight as a ducks's ass this offseason then why restructure a deal like DJ's, just doesn't make sense. Why create more cap room in this financial year if you're trying to keep cap $$$ spending to a minimum???

Broncos currently have approx $91m counting in contracts for 2009.

ol number 7
02-20-2009, 04:01 AM
Bottom line, we're still under a CBA, Bowlen still has to have approx $110m in salaries counting against the 2009 cap.

If he's gonna be as tight as a ducks's ass this offseason then why restructure a deal like DJ's, just doesn't make sense. Why create more cap room in this financial year if you're trying to keep cap $$$ spending to a minimum???

Broncos currently have approx $91m counting in contracts for 2009.

I live in St. Louis . You want to see empty seats and begging someone to step up and buy the remaining tickets every week to lift the blackout.
They won't get a dime outta me until the Broncos are in that nasty warehouse of a Doom we have. Even the mice moved to the Convention Center for better accommodations. They couldn't take all the booing.

Broncojef
02-20-2009, 04:41 AM
No one wanted to watch our defense from last year embarrass themselves further. They clearly weren't a play-off team despite the folks here who wanted somehow for them to eek into it. I am a season ticket holder that had no interest in watching another crappy late season Shanahan coached late season game let alone pay for a play-off game. That being said paying for club level tix and parking costs me $3K a seat only to have fans screaming to sit down, not to swear and stop drinking so much. Needless to say I'm giving up my tix this year, the political correct police can have them.

2KBack
02-20-2009, 04:53 AM
I have trouble believing that losing is going to bring back the fans

elsid13
02-20-2009, 05:19 AM
I wouldn't put to much stock in that, folks could of been taking a wait and see approach to the post-season. Remember the Cardinals and SD didn't sell out til the last minute either.

There was blurb on RMN that Bowlen is going cheap though. Which bring in point that maybe it time for him to bring in JR partner that has resources to spend during the times

bpc
02-20-2009, 05:25 AM
The only thing I wonder is, if we're going on the cheap, how did we get Nolan? One of the most sought after DC's on the open market? He couldn't have been cheap.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-20-2009, 05:31 AM
No one wanted to watch our defense from last year embarrass themselves further. They clearly weren't a play-off team despite the folks here who wanted somehow for them to eek into it. I am a season ticket holder that had no interest in watching another crappy late season Shanahan coached late season game let alone pay for a play-off game.

Bingo. My parents deciding not to purchase playoff tickets had nothing to do with the economy, it had everything to do with them not wanting to shell out around $1000 to watch the Broncos get the living **** kicked out of them by Indy or whoever it would have been in the playoffs.

Broncoman13
02-20-2009, 05:37 AM
All teams will be spending much less not just the Broncos the tagged guys are the lucky ones the FA offers will be skinny this season.

You mean like Al Davis spending $55m on a CB over 4 years? Or were you referring to Shane Lechler, a punter, making $4m per year???

Broncojef
02-20-2009, 05:39 AM
The only thing I wonder is, if we're going on the cheap, how did we get Nolan? One of the most sought after DC's on the open market? He couldn't have been cheap.

I don't buy that bowlen is going cheap. I think he's a fan just like us and had seen enough of the same old song and dance. Shanahan sticking up for Slowick after those last two or three games probably chapped his ass like it did us.

baja
02-20-2009, 05:41 AM
You mean like Al Davis spending $55m on a CB over 4 years? Or were you referring to Shane Lechler, a punter, making $4m per year???

Dude you are talking about Al Davis here, he thinks it is 1976. You need a real time sane example.

Broncoman13
02-20-2009, 05:41 AM

Of course it would have but what % of those seats would have been to our opponents fans? When is the last time you went to a Bronco game? I can tell you going back as far as the Steelers AFCCG, our opponents have been able to buy more and more tickets. At the Bills game this year, over 7,000 no shows. Did they sell the tickets... yes. They were on the internet for as little as $15 per seat. Going back to the Steelers game, there was maybe (being generous) a 3:1 Broncos:Steelers presence.

Broncoman13
02-20-2009, 05:42 AM

Playoff tickets for last year?

baja
02-20-2009, 05:44 AM
It is interesting to witness on this board the eroding of worship for Shanahan as time goes by. Little by little Shanahan is becoming the focus of what was wrong with the Broncos even among his most ardent supporters.

Broncoman13
02-20-2009, 05:54 AM
It is interesting to witness on this board the eroding of worship for Shanahan as time goes by. Little by little Shanahan is becoming the focus of what was wrong with the Broncos even among his most ardent supporters.

Most were able to call it as they saw it. Some were hell bent on him going. Wolf, BroncoJef, Heav, etc. Some were dead against it. Taco, SoCal, etc. Some, like myself hated to see the guy go but could recognize the issues as well. Somebody mentioned a "jr partner", Shanny has some pretty strong ties to Denver now... but I don't think he has the $$$ to roll with the big boys. Too bad, b/c I'd like to see him be a part of the Broncos forever.

Bring in Mark Cuban and spend like crazy!!!

Broncojef
02-20-2009, 05:58 AM
Most were able to call it as they saw it. Some were hell bent on him going. Wolf, BroncoJef, Heav, etc. Some were dead against it. Taco, SoCal, etc. Some, like myself hated to see the guy go but could recognize the issues as well. Somebody mentioned a "jr partner", Shanny has some pretty strong ties to Denver now... but I don't think he has the $$$ to roll with the big boys. Too bad, b/c I'd like to see him be a part of the Broncos forever.

Bring in Mark Cuban and spend like crazy!!!

I didn't hate Shanny. I think he was the right coach at the right time with Elway and I'll always appreciate him for that. That being said hearing how close we were after getting blown out and embarrassed continually on the national stage did piss me off after a while.

theAPAOps5
02-20-2009, 05:58 AM
Thats just what one radio guy said. I seriously doubt 3,000 tickets go unsold in Denver.

Broncoman13
02-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Easy question to answer... find out how long the wait list is now for season tickets! If it's still 10-15 years then there isn't an issue!

vancejohnson82
02-20-2009, 09:19 AM
i dont know what seems farther off right now...

Broncos and Blackout in the same sentence

Broncos and Playoffs in the same sentence

BTW, I think we have to change the term "Blackout"...i find it offensive and racist towards our president

CEH
02-20-2009, 09:22 AM

I too have my actual Playoff tickets for the '09 AFC widcard/divisional and Championship games.

This year instead of having to fork out all the money up front they took a $50 deposit per ticket and you were only charged for the games played.

bronco militia
02-20-2009, 09:27 AM
oskie.....the playoff ticket deal is a reflection of the state of the team.
Sure finnances play a roll, but if the team ain't worth a damn, then why should we fork over the money a month early?

IMO, I think the fan base has been exposed for being more John Elway fans than Broncos fans.

tell me, who on the broncos would you pay extra to go see?

I can't think of one player

bronco militia
02-20-2009, 09:28 AM
and yes oskie, I had the playoff tickets sent to my house...I can mail a couple if you want

;D

Popcorn Sutton
02-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Maybe the fan base had ZERO confidence we'd beat San Diego and advance?

broncocalijohn
02-20-2009, 09:30 AM
I received my playoff tickets and if we hosted a playoff game, it would have sold out without a problem. If that many season tickets didnt order playoff tickets, that gave themselves and the general public to jump on the tickets. As for the waiting list, it is still long but people are passing them up when the Broncos call. I waited about 9 months in 94 and glad I jumped on while everyone was jumping off to the Avs and Rockies. If Denver has a blackout, it is because of a severe economic crash and will be felt throughout the NFL.

broncofan2438
02-20-2009, 09:39 AM
I received my playoff tickets and if we hosted a playoff game, it would have sold out without a problem. If that many season tickets didnt order playoff tickets, that gave themselves and the general public to jump on the tickets. As for the waiting list, it is still long but people are passing them up when the Broncos call. I waited about 9 months in 94 and glad I jumped on while everyone was jumping off to the Avs and Rockies. If Denver has a blackout, it is because of a severe economic crash and will be felt throughout the NFL.

Well said dude, well said

TonyR
02-20-2009, 09:42 AM
It's all nonsense ...

I don't think so. They had the same problem in other cities, particularly Minnesota which is a mid sized city like Denver. They sold out every regular season game with no problem but had to extend their playoff ticket deadline to fill the stadium. I think the Broncos mediocrity, coupled with the recession, caused this problem. And I fully believe that Bowlen has some cash flow problems because there have been rumors about this from several different sources. Based on how many NFL teams have been laying off a lot of their staffs I don't think this is a Denver only problem.

DenverBrit
02-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Easy question to answer... find out how long the wait list is now for season tickets! If it's still 10-15 years then there isn't an issue!

You're on the money. 28,000 waiting....time estimate? 13-15years.

http://to.denverbroncos.com/waiting_list

400HZ
02-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Just out of curiousity, how much are your ticket prices going up next season? In SD, prices are staying the same as they were in 2008. Is that just a local deal or a national trend?

BigPlayShay
02-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Just out of curiousity, how much are your ticket prices going up next season? In SD, prices are staying the same as they were in 2008. Is that just a local deal or a national trend?

Staying the same as 2008. Not sure if it is a National trend. I am pretty sure I heard that the Cardinals are raising their prices.

Kaylore
02-20-2009, 11:20 AM
People will be come when the team gets better. Bowlen owes an apology to anyone that paid to watch that garbage defense on the field last year.

Natedogg
02-20-2009, 12:12 PM

What are you talking about? I've blacked out in Denver lots of times.

DenverBrit
02-20-2009, 12:16 PM
What are you talking about? I've blacked out in Denver lots of times.

ROFL!

Rohirrim
02-20-2009, 12:28 PM
From what I've read about Bowlen, most of his money is tied up in real estate. He couldn't be doing well right now.

Kaylore
02-20-2009, 12:52 PM
From what I've read about Bowlen, most of his money is tied up in real estate. He couldn't be doing well right now.

It's actually mostly oil and then some real estate. Neither is doing too well right now.

dumpy
02-20-2009, 01:13 PM
I know for a fact that a friend of mine that put in for his in 2004 (a year before me) was contacted for his 4 seats. There was an 11-13 year wait list when I put in for mine in 2005... so that should give you an idea of how many people aren't willing to buy tix right now.

I don't know how this is possible when they have not even started the upgrade process for priority number season ticket holders yet. The upgrade doesn't start until the first payment is sent in early March. I put in for an upgrade last year and got a post card in the mail stating that I could not upgrade because there was over a 98% renewal on season tickets. I've had tickets since 2001 and have not been able to upgrade, and if any seats need upgraded they are mine.

TailgateNut
02-20-2009, 01:21 PM

Ditto here. I recieved my tix and parking passes prior to them going into the ****ter.;)

TailgateNut
02-20-2009, 01:24 PM

Yep, I do. I'll make you a great deal on the lot (9 seats x 2 games plus 2 parking passes). 1st $100 gets a 'em all!:approve:

theAPAOps5
02-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Well I just checked with the Broncos Ticket office. It kills the argument that the season ticket list has dwindled. I have been on it for 2+ years. My current number is 16,668 and the time frame is 10-12 years.

Tombstone RJ
02-20-2009, 01:37 PM

A depression? I don't see it but I see your overall point.

theAPAOps5
02-20-2009, 01:40 PM
A depression? I don't see it but I see your overall point.

He has been saying Depression for a few days now. I disagree but think we are the closest we have been since the Great one.

Tombstone RJ
02-20-2009, 01:49 PM
"The Depression" is very much different than what is going on today. You had alot of variables come together for the "The Great Depression" of the 1930's that are not part of todays recession. You had Black Sunday (nothing like that in today's recession) where in one single day, the bottom dropped out of a truly unregulated free market. You had crop problems in the midwest and west due to severe droubt and dust storms. You had alot of transient migration of people who literally picked up and moved to find work. You had food lines, bread lines.

I'm not seeing any of this type of stuff.

People need to quit being so melodramatic. Is it bad, yep, sure is and if you don't have your schit together, well, too bad for you.

But it ain't THE GREAT DEPRESSION, it ain't even close.

Not yet.

broncosteven
02-20-2009, 02:03 PM

There was a caller that brought up an excellent point as well. When discussing the Bronco fans, the caller suggested that WE fans have become spoiled. He mentioned that a long drought of winning seasons could be the only thing to bring the spirit back to Denver.

I agree with this 100%. We have been lucky not to face a 2-14 or 4-12 season. I have been repeating this ever since Shanny got the can.

It all may work out and we field a great team that overachives this year.

Or it could be a purge to save some dough during hard times.

I am hoping for the 1st but will be a bronco fan either way. 0-16, 3-13, 10-6 I was a fan before they had a winning season and will be one if they are as bad as KFC or Oakland.

cutthemdown
02-20-2009, 02:05 PM
I think some people want McDaniels to have some Obama sort of stimulus plan that will solve every problem.

When a team gets as bad as the Broncos are you can't fix it one yr. All I'm hoping for is for the Broncos to find 2-3 more young players in the draft that will be good starters.

Kuper
Clady
Harris
Scheffler
Cutler
Marshall
Hillis
Royal
Woodyard

see that list of our own young talent ends to quickly. But Broncos did all that in what 3 yrs or so? If they continue to make that list longer they will get better but until it has more defenders on it the defense isn't going to be good.

Broncos not close enough to being a contender to give tons of money upfront to older players in FA, but I think they will look to grab 1-2 cheaper vets that will be better then what we had last yr. Also maybe one FA who has upside that goes along with the young players on our team already.

Really though when a pro team get's to the point that only 2 maybe 3 of the people on your defense would even start for any other team in the NFL you have a real problem.

Shanny was just a horrid judge of defensive talent. Until we get at least 5 young players going on defense that we drafted and groomed, we won't be good. Maybe Woodyard and Larsen are better then I think and we are closer then I thought, but Broncos need like 8 friggin starters on defense and you just aren't going to find it in one yr.

If the Broncos do try and force it by reaching for FA not worthy of being highly paid they could ruin the team for yrs. Best thing is to write next yr off and consider this a rebuilding yr.

broncosteven
02-20-2009, 02:06 PM
"The Depression" is very much different than what is going on today. You had alot of variables come together for the "The Great Depression" of the 1930's that are not part of todays recession. You had Black Sunday (nothing like that in today's recession) where in one single day, the bottom dropped out of a truly unregulated free market. You had crop problems in the midwest and west due to severe droubt and dust storms. You had alot of transient migration of people who literally picked up and moved to find work. You had food lines, bread lines.

I'm not seeing any of this type of stuff.

People need to quit being so melodramatic. Is it bad, yep, sure is and if you don't have your schit together, well, too bad for you.

But it ain't THE GREAT DEPRESSION, it ain't even close.

Not yet.

I agree, the weather had a hand in it but the Depression also had lots of Foreclosures much like we face today. Today's bad debt was fueled by bad loans, the Great depression foreclosures were based on weather.

I still don't know why people were buying huge houses on Interest only loans not considering that bad things could happen. Live with in your means people.

cutthemdown
02-20-2009, 02:44 PM
I agree, the weather had a hand in it but the Depression also had lots of Foreclosures much like we face today. Today's bad debt was fueled by bad loans, the Great depression foreclosures were based on weather.

I still don't know why people were buying huge houses on Interest only loans not considering that bad things could happen. Live with in your means people.

I know a guy who did, then spent like 50 grand remodeling, and now can't pay his adjustable. He's making it though he went out and found 2 roommates. One gets the master bedroom and bath for 900 month, the other gets the guest room and bath which is detached from the house, its not remodeled or very nice, for 650 month. So now he can make his 4000 a month payment by working his ass off. Better then losing your house.

I know a girl who got married, talked her new husband into refinancing the house and sinking all the money into it. Then when house was done they got ir re appraised and refinanced again and used that 40 grand to pay off bills and a legal judgment she had. Then he lost job and they lost home. When I suggested they put both kids in same room, and rent out both the spare room and the kids old room to make it she scoffed and said she would never live with strangers like that. Seems to me losing home is worst but thats what they did.

Just 2 stories that show how some people make it work, others go down the drain. That girl now is leaving the husband, going back to school, after pretty much ruining him. I mean he had a nice small house almost paid for but he let a women talk him into making it a mcmansion. I don't talk to her anymore because when she told me she was leaving him I almost threw up. I just couldn't tell her she was right even though we had known each other for yrs.

cutthemdown
02-20-2009, 02:46 PM

The big difference is water management and better farming techniques. We learned that after the great depression. In great depression without rain farmers went down hill. Now they have water management that helps during drought.

Also farming techniques back in the day ruined the top soil. I'm no expert but now days the farmers have techniques that keep top soil in better shape.

BroncoMan4ever
02-20-2009, 03:36 PM
my personal opinion is that the creating more cap room is so we can field a team with players the new staff likes, and so that we can re-sign our own starting as soon as this offseason.

it isn't due to Bowlen not wanting to pay for a lot of players, because he has to spend a minimum in the salary cap and i think it is around 110million that needs to be spent on your roster, and right now we are around 90million with our current signed players.

bronco militia
02-20-2009, 04:32 PM
nevermind

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11750252

Broncos will be aggressive in free agency

"As aggressive as we need to be," McDaniels said today at his NFL scouting combine press conference. "We're interested in a lot of things. We have areas that we can improve on. We have, like every team does, needs and holes to fills. If there's a player out there that we feel is going to fill that, then we're going to be aggressive and pursue him."