PDA

View Full Version : Bill Williamson 2/19/09 Chat

montrose
02-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Only posted the Broncos parts:

Keith (Springfield): What are the chances that the Broncos trade for Peppers?
Bill Williamson: I don't think it's strong. I think Denver wants to keep all of its draft picks.

Brenden (Denver): Who's a better fit for the Broncos Orakpo or Malaluga?
Bill Williamson: Good question. Orakpo can pass the passer but I say the middle linebacker. Denver needs a beast to set the tone for the entire defense.

Keith (Springfield): Since the Broncos are moving to a 3-4 scheme, what is the probability that the Broncos move to sign Haynesworth? Would he work as a NT?
Bill Williamson: He would fit but I'm hearing Denver may not get in on him and it would rather sign several defensive starters than one big-ticket item like Haynesworth. But we'll see.

Victor (LA): Hey Bill! How likely are the Broncos to acquire a guy like Igor Olshansky or Chris Canty from Dallas? What would you think of such a move?
Bill Williamson: I think those two names could be possibilities. Both would fit in the new defense.

Brenden (Denver): Could you see the Broncos trying to trade up to get B.J. Raji if they don't think he's going to slide to them?
Bill Williamson: Maybe but there are so many other needs that Denver should get something it likes at No. 12.

Wade (Colorado): B.J. Raji would be a perfect fit in Denver's new defense. He'd be a perfect nose tackle. Correct?
Bill Williamson: Yes, perfect, I do believe but he is rising up the draft boards and may even go to Seattle at No. 4.

Keith (Springfield): Should Boss Bailey be part of the Denver defensive purge, or give him a chance in the new scheme? I know he isn't that much against the cap, but the more available money for quality players, the better.
Bill Williamson: I think he deserves a chance to stay. The only problem with Boss is he gets hurt too much.

Mike (Denver): Do you think Denver will sign Ward from the Giants as he has expressed interest in playing for them?
Bill Williamson: Depends on his price tag. It would be a nice fit.

Mike (Denver): Does Woodyard have any chance at playing in the Broncos 3-4? He was undersized for a 4-3.
Bill Williamson: I'm hearing Woodyard is in the team's plans in the 3-4. He's an exciting player. Let's see what he can do. He can be a real diamond in the rough.

Matt (DSM): Any chance Denver goes after Bart Scott? I'm hoping for some good free agent signings after the last few years.
Bill Williamson: He could fit. yes, Denver needs to score with some decent free agent pickups after the stinkers it has rolled out the past few years.

Ryan (Denver): Bill, what other DT besides Haynesworth could the Broncos target in FA? I would much rather see them get Maualuga than Raji....I think Raji is another Gerard Warren or Sedrick Ellis.
Bill Williamson: Keep an eye on Grady Jackson.

Burwell (Addison): Do you think Moss and/or Dumervil will be good fits at OLB for the Broncos? Do they have the necessary speed?
Bill Williamson: I have more faith in Dumervil. If Moss is going to salvage his career, he needs to make it work now.

Justin (Denver): Hey Bill. Any insight to why the Broncos let Aldridge go?
Bill Williamson: Just part of the new regime. Alridge was a favorite of Shanahan.

Vijay (NYC): Any news on free agent or draft-available kickers? Broncos sure need an upgrade on Prater.
Bill Williamson: John Carney, perhaps?

MW (Colorado): Any chance Denver would trade Champ for the right offer? If Denver can rebuild the D line, we may not need elite CB's (like New England).
Bill Williamson: I really think they might. I don't think they should, but maybe.

Doug (Las Vegas): Hey Bill. Who would you consider an ideal fit to fill the void left by Bly at the corner slot for the Broncos? A free agent or draft pick?
Bill Williamson: Keep an eye on St. Louis free agent Ronald Bartell.

Robert (Latrobe): Do you think the change to the 3-4 is a good move for the Broncos? While I don't know if the personnel really fit, I don't know how much worse it could be than last year.
Bill Williamson: It is a good move because Mike Nolan is a good coach. A complete change is needed in Denver. But it will be tricky because the team doesn't have 3-4 players so it may take a while.

Jerry (California): I've read that Tyson Jackson is the perfect 3-4 end. Any chance he ends up in Denver or San Diego.
Bill Williamson: He is a player both teams will study extensively.

Keith (Springfield): If the AFC West teams could only fix one problem (through draft or free agency) which would be the #1 area needed for improvement, for each team?
Bill Williamson:
Den: Pass rush.
KC: Pass rush.
Oak: No. 1 receiver.
SD: Inside linebacker.

TonyR
02-19-2009, 07:32 PM
If only we could have Adam Schefter sub in for Burger Bill maybe we could actually get some good information...

Archer81
02-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Bill is an idiot. It all starts with the NT, if Raji is there at 12, we should take him and build from the bottom up, what good does an IB do if there isnt a DT that demands doubleteams in front of him?

:Broncos:

ludo21
02-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Nothing to see here move along

montrose
02-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Bill is an idiot. It all starts with the NT, if Raji is there at 12, we should take him and build from the bottom up, what good does an IB do if there isnt a DT that demands doubleteams in front of him?

Well the thing Bill really missed on, that everyone needs to realize here on the Mane, is that Raji is not a NT. His BC teammate Ron Brace (a projected 2nd round pick) is a NT. Raji is a natural UT, just like Albert Haynesworth, Dewayne Robertson and Marcus Thomas. Regardless of if the Broncos are playing a 3-4, 4-3 or hybrid, they need a true NT which Raji isn't. While he may be more talented, playing Raji at the NT position in the 3-4 is very similar to what the Jets did with Robertson.

The fact is that there are no 3-4 NT's worth the #12 pick, not to mention no really strong ones being available in free agency. In fact, the only 3-4 DL that seems like a good value at #12 is DE Tyson Jackson of LSU. With that, consider the Broncos already have Marcus Thomas, Carlton Powell and Tim Crowder who project to playing the 3-4 DE spot. In addition, Mike Wright and C.J. Mosley are free agent 3-4 DEs that would fit well in the Broncos budget.

That's not to say Jackson couldn't be the pick, but at that selection the Broncos may be best off to find a cornerstone ILB in Maulauga; pass-rusher in Orakpo, Brown or Maybin; or versatile LB in Cushing. It's a real mystery at this point but the problem the Broncos will find is a real lack of NT's available in the draft and free agency. Grady Jackson and Gabe Watson seem like FA possibilities, and Brace would be a great selection in round 2 - but it's a little scary to think one of those names will be counted on to anchor the DL and keep lineman off of DJ and Larsen (or Maualuga).

Killericon
02-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Brenden (Denver): Who's a better fit for the Broncos Orakpo or Malaluga?
Bill Williamson: Good question. Orakpo can pass the passer but I say the middle linebacker. Denver needs a beast to set the tone for the entire defense.

That's quite the skill to have in a defense.

DBroncos4life
02-19-2009, 08:26 PM

I don't know I was sure that the falling down, being able to be blocked one on one and zero pass rushing moves was the next big thing. LOL

CHANGSTER
02-19-2009, 08:33 PM

Sausage fingers strikes again.

400HZ
02-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Wow, I should do a chat transcript. It doesn't take much skill, insight, or any type of inside information apparently.

ayjackson
02-19-2009, 09:08 PM
I think Raji compares well with Wilfork, who was a one-gap penetrating tackle. They realized his strength and drafted him to play the nose. The thing about this front seven we're building, is everybody has to be projected into it based on skill set, not experience.

BroncoMan4ever
02-19-2009, 09:15 PM

:Broncos:

Raji isn't a NT, i would rather us go after Grady Jackson in FA to be out NT, get Rey in the 1st and then Brace in the 2nd to serve as a backup to Jackson and maybe take over for Jackson in a couple years, or if not Brace, an OLB, maybe Matthews if he is still around, Sintim is a thought, or a RB, Shonn Greene. but if we go defense in the 1st 2 rounds take Rashard Jennings in the 3rd.

BroncoMan4ever
02-19-2009, 09:19 PM
with Woodyard being in the plans for the 3-4 change, i am curious if they are going to continue with him trying to make the conversion to Safety. it seems to me he is to small to be a 3-4 LB, unless they have him hitting the weights hard this offseason.

BroncoBuff
02-19-2009, 10:42 PM
I dunno guys ... if we sign Grady Jackson, Bart Scott and Ronald Bartell, that was one heckuvan informative chat.

azbroncfan
02-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Wow, I should do a chat transcript. It doesn't take much skill, insight, or any type of inside information apparently.

Yeah he could be a possible fit? I wonder if I could get a job.

BroncoBuff
02-19-2009, 11:20 PM
with Woodyard being in the plans for the 3-4 change, i am curious if they are going to continue with him trying to make the conversion to Safety. it seems to me he is to small to be a 3-4 LB, unless they have him hitting the weights hard this offseason.
Nobody wants to join me in this comparison ... but I've been saying all along that I see some Al Wilson in WW. They both rely on speed and pursuit, fiery dispositions, and fearless tackling. And truth be told, they're not that different in size:

Wilson- 6' 240
WW - 6'1" 230

Plus WW is just 22 years old now, 23 in July ... he can easily put on 15-20 over the next couple seasons.

SoCalBronco
02-20-2009, 12:01 AM
http://www.vintageip.com/hotdog/homeplatesteve.jpg

Broncos Mailbag with Bill Williamson

Broncos_OTM
02-20-2009, 05:57 AM
Nobody wants to join me in this comparison ... but I've been saying all along that I see some Al Wilson in WW. They both rely on speed and pursuit, fiery dispositions, and fearless tackling. And truth be told, they're not that different in size:

Wilson- 6' 240
WW - 6'1" 230

Plus WW is just 22 years old now, 23 in July ... he can easily put on 15-20 over the next couple seasons.

WW may be 230 when the season starts but bank it. He will not play at that weight in the season.

Inkana7
02-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Lemme sum this up:"Maybe"

vancejohnson82
02-20-2009, 10:46 AM
this chat sucked

BroncoMan4ever
02-20-2009, 11:40 AM

Wilson- 6' 240
WW - 6'1" 230

i see the same type of disposition in WW as i did in Al. i just really don't think that Woodyard is 230lbs, like he is listed. i think he is more in the range of 215lbs and to get up to average linebacker size will require up to 25lbs of muscle he will need to put on.