PDA

View Full Version : ANONYMOUS POLL: Is This Cartoon Racist?

BroncoBuff
02-19-2009, 04:16 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/images/2009/02/18/image4809295.jpg

STIMULUS BILL = $787 billion legislation just passed by Congress and signed by President Obama this week (in Denver btw).

SureShot
02-19-2009, 04:17 PM
No but it is definitely anti-primate.

SouthStndJunkie
02-19-2009, 04:20 PM
I wonder if those 2 cops could kill the chimp without the use of the gun?

Just their night sticks and 1 pocket knife.

BroncoBuff
02-19-2009, 04:21 PM
I wonder if those 2 cops could kill the chimp without the use of the gun?

Just their night sticks and 1 pocket knife.

Who are you .... Magruber?

Hercules Rockefeller
02-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Who are you .... Magruber?

Pepsuber

and the cartoon isn't funny or rascist.

Falconer
02-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Since Obama did not write the stimulus bill, I cannot see how it is racist. I guess they are comparing Palosi to a monkey though. I think the monkey might have a case. ;D

snowspot66
02-19-2009, 04:59 PM
No, it's just a horribly done comic. The joke isn't very clear. Too much open interpretation is a good way to have everybody **** up the intent.

GreatBronco16
02-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Why does everything have to be racist?

Taco John
02-19-2009, 05:03 PM
I personally can't see how anyone can interpret this as a racist article. I think it's a real stretch to believe the writer was trying to make a racist statement with this cartoon.

vancejohnson82
02-19-2009, 05:03 PM
i like it

vancejohnson82
02-19-2009, 05:05 PM
haha...nine people thought it was racist??

this country sucks when it comes to double standards...

writers were pretty much comparing bush to retarded people and hillbillies for four years and nobody said a word

Rock Chalk
02-19-2009, 05:06 PM
Judging from the caption I think the author's intent was to imply that Congress is full of apes.

And since its full of democrats I see it as an apt, but hardly funny, cartoon.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Judging from the caption I think the author's intent was to imply that Congress is full of apes.

And since its full of democrats I see it as an apt, but hardly funny, cartoon.

democrats are the apes? Republicans are unified anti-stimulus as a political move. They used the greatest economic crisis since the depression as a political move. And are somehow proud of this.

HorseHead
02-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Saying that it's racist is a reach....

BroncoBuff
02-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Somebody just mentioned to me what Vance said - that Bush has been compared to a monkey for 8 years. That is definitely true, so I'm not sure anymore that it's racist .... it's a murky thing to me.

TheDave
02-19-2009, 05:12 PM
It was enough to get Howard Cossel fired...

vancejohnson82
02-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Somebody just mentioned to me what Vance said - that Bush has been compared to a monkey for 8 years. That is definitely true, so I'm not sure anymore that it's racist .... it's a murky thing to me.

that's my point....

I dont care what your stance is on politics but comparing our leaders to animals and dolts has been political humor for decades...

if we somehow disallow the media to poke fun at Obama we suddenly head into that dangerous zone where expressing opinions through humor about our governemnt becomes illegal....and then we are basically turning thsi country into a dictatorship...haha, ok thats a reach, but you get my point

"this isn't Russia"

Rock Chalk
02-19-2009, 05:15 PM
democrats are the apes? Republicans are unified anti-stimulus as a political move. They used the greatest economic crisis since the depression as a political move. And are somehow proud of this.

Because 70% of the PEOPLE, you know those the politicians work for, are AGAINST THE ****ING STIMULOUS.

Democrats know best though right.

peacepipe
02-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Considering that historicly Blacks have been compared to monkeys & Obamas' ownership of the stimulis bill, I have to say it's racist.

Popps
02-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Lots of problems....

1. Obama didn't "write" the stimulus bill. He worked with the House/Senate on the bill. In fact, he probably "wrote" very little of it.

2. The indication is likely that a monkey could have written the bill, more than any particular monkey DID write the bill.

3. Obama isn't an African American, he's a mutt. (In his own words.)

4. We're all descendent of bipedal primates, so calling someone a monkey isn't black-specific.

So... if someone takes it as racist, they're being a little silly and if the writer MEANT it to be racist, he/she isn't that bright.

BroncoBuff
02-19-2009, 05:19 PM
It was enough to get Howard Cossel fired...

Good comparison ... "look at that little monkey!"

http://i.tsn.com/i/photos/20080928/98317.jpg

SonOfLe-loLang
02-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Because 70% of the PEOPLE, you know those the politicians work for, are AGAINST THE ****ING STIMULOUS.

Ummm...wrong:

The new AP/GfK poll shows that the public is optimistic that the stimulus plan will work, and they approve the performance of Democrats on the economy -- and disapprove of the Republicans.

The poll was conducted from February 12-17, during the final days of the compromise process for the stimulus bill. So we now have a look at public opinion during the period when it became clear that the bill was going to pass:

• 52% of Americans approve of the stimulus bill, with 41% disapproving. And the public is confident by a 54%-45% margin that the plan will result in significant improvement.

• President Obama's overall approval rating comes in at 67%, with only 24% disapproval. His specific approval on the economy is 68%-27%.

• Congress' approval is at only 31%-59%, but additional questions show a much more complicated picture. The number for Congressional Democrats is at 49%-45%, while Republicans are at 33%-59%. The Republicans appear to be cramping Congress' style.

• Only 30% say Obama hasn't done enough to cooperate with Republicans in Congress -- the GOP base vote, basically -- while 62% say he's doing the right amount and 6% say it's been too much. Flipping it around, only 27% say Republicans have done enough to cooperate with Obama, with 64% saying not enough and 5% saying too much.

• And here's another interesting number. Respondents were asked whether various measures would help the economy -- and 65% say pulling out of Iraq would help.

--- not to mention----

Stimulus works. WHat do you think ww2 was?

cutthemdown
02-19-2009, 05:28 PM
LOL at judging Obamas approval rating. Americans not smart enough to understand or know 's are or how thye worked. They also don't know how many jobs the plan will create.

Basically the country isn't ready to turn on Obama yet. A yr from now if they don't see light at the end of the tunnel Obama will be done to a 50/50 rating. 2 yrs from now if people aren't working the blame Bush stuff won't cut it anymore and only about 40% die heard dems will support him.

Then by election if the country isn't doing well he will lose the election.

BroncoBuff
02-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Does it work with Al Davis as the monkey?

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1609/image4809295ia1.jpg

SonOfLe-loLang
02-19-2009, 05:31 PM
LOL at judging Obamas approval rating. Americans not smart enough to understand or know 's are or how thye worked. They also don't know how many jobs the plan will create.

Basically the country isn't ready to turn on Obama yet. A yr from now if they don't see light at the end of the tunnel Obama will be done to a 50/50 rating. 2 yrs from now if people aren't working the blame Bush stuff won't cut it anymore and only about 40% die heard dems will support him.

Then by election if the country isn't doing well he will lose the election.

I was simply responding to the comment that the public was against it. And even republicans are FOR a stimulus, they just want trillions in tax cuts that wont work. All economists say a stimulus is needed. Stimulus has worked in the past.

This was a republican political grab...and they pretty much admitted as such. not to mention rush limbaugh has stated he hopes obama fails. Classy.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-19-2009, 05:33 PM
And while im not personally bothered by possible racial intentions with the cartoon, they should have realized we live in an overly sensitive society and that it would ruffle feathers.

TheReverend
02-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Apologies to any of my dark skinned friends on the site, but yes it's racist, but yes I did laugh when someone told me the joke this morning.

cutthemdown
02-19-2009, 05:42 PM
I was simply responding to the comment that the public was against it. And even republicans are FOR a stimulus, they just want trillions in tax cuts that wont work. All economists say a stimulus is needed. Stimulus has worked in the past.

This was a republican political grab...and they pretty much admitted as such. not to mention rush limbaugh has stated he hopes obama fails. Classy.

you are right its just as silly to say public is against it. Public so confused we don't know what to think.

Kaylore
02-19-2009, 05:45 PM

Actually that's kind of funny. It suggests what the "problem" over there actually is. Ha!

Br0nc0Buster
02-19-2009, 05:50 PM
I never thought of it as being racist until people started making a big deal out of it.

I dont think it was a direct attack on Obama, but that doesnt stop Al Sharpton and friends from getting upset about it

I think some people look to play the racism card anytime they can

Houshyamama
02-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Okay, I don't understand.

Is this in reference to something? Or is it just a couple of random cops shooting a monkey in a subway? Park? Awful drawing, makes my head hurt.

Not funny or racist. Just stupid.

Edit: I think that's a street with a bus and car on it. Wow, horrible art.

TheReverend
02-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Okay, I don't understand.

Is this in reference to something? Or is it just a couple of random cops shooting a monkey in a subway? Park? Awful drawing, makes my head hurt.

Not funny or racist. Just stupid.

Edit: I think that's a street with a bus and car on it. Wow, horrible art.

It's about the Travis the Chimp incident, and since they shot a monkey, they decided to turn it into a racial joke about the president.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-19-2009, 06:00 PM
It's about the Travis the Chimp incident, and since they shot a monkey, they decided to turn it into a racial joke about the president.

I bet it was kinda cute watching travis water the plants.

JPPT1974
02-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Indeed, it is racist regardlesss of politics!

Kid A
02-19-2009, 06:03 PM
The cartoon is meant to reference a recent event in Connecticut where a monkey escaped or something and had to be shot.

Anyway, weird connection to make with the stimulus thing to begin with, and the comic as a whole wasn't particularly funny. Intentionally racist? No. Does it show the paper to be completely out-of-touch to how things like this could be perceived? Yes.

You don't have to be uber-PC to know that it could be misunderstood and given racial undertones. Yeah, those calling it racist are overreacting and being willfully confused as to the original meaning, but as the editor of a major paper it is your duty to know how things will be construed.

Buff wondered earlier why it was okay to compare Bush to a monkey but not Obama. While it would be a double standard to say we can't compare Obama to an animal also, comparing a black person to a monkey carries a long history of racist connotations. With Bush "monkey" obviously referred to his unusual facial expressions. It is impossible to call Obama a monkey without invoking centuries of that term being used as a racial slur. I don't believe the cartoon was doing this, but again smarter editors/cartoonists would have quickly seen the potential for misunderstanding.

Taco John
02-19-2009, 06:03 PM
I seriously can't believe anybody could believe that the cartoonists intentions were racist.

Boggles my mind.

Florida_Bronco
02-19-2009, 06:04 PM
I think it's a little racist. Not the full blown, pointy white hat and burning crosses type of racist, but definetly a little racist.

bombquixote
02-19-2009, 06:08 PM
The question is whether or not the cartoonist intended the monkey to represent Obama. If so, it's racist. Very racist.

If the the cartoonist intended something else, it was stupid of him not to realize that what he had come up with could so easily be construed as racist.

Either way, the guy's an idiot.

And for those of you who keep trying to rationalize away the ugliness of your own racism by implying that the problem with our times isn't racism, but PC sensitivity...you're also idiots.

To whoever said the monkey comparison was okay because George W. is sometimes compared to a monkey, you're wrong. George W. is compared to a monkey because he's a white guy who looks like a monkey. Obama is compared to a monkey because he's black. Racism doesn't get much more blatant than that.

DHallblows
02-19-2009, 06:14 PM
The cartoon is meant to reference a recent event in Connecticut where a monkey escaped or something and had to be shot.

Anyway, weird connection to make with the stimulus thing to begin with, and the comic as a whole wasn't particularly funny. Intentionally racist? No. Does it show the paper to be completely out-of-touch to how things like this could be perceived? Yes.

You don't have to be uber-PC to know that it could be misunderstood and given racial undertones. Yeah, those calling it racist are overreacting and being willfully confused as to the original meaning, but as the editor of a major paper it is your duty to know how things will be construed.

Buff wondered earlier why it was okay to compare Bush to a monkey but not Obama. While it would be a double standard to say we can't compare Obama to an animal also, comparing a black person to a monkey carries a long history of racist connotations. With Bush "monkey" obviously referred to his unusual facial expressions. It is impossible to call Obama a monkey without invoking centuries of that term being used as a racial slur. I don't believe the cartoon was doing this, but again smarter editors/cartoonists would have quickly seen the potential for misunderstanding.

The question is whether or not the cartoonist intended the monkey to represent Obama. If so, it's racist. Very racist.

If the the cartoonist intended something else, it was stupid of him not to realize that what he had come up with could so easily be construed as racist.

Either way, the guy's an idiot.

And for those of you who keep trying to rationalize away the ugliness of your own racism by implying that the problem with our times isn't racism, but PC sensitivity...you're also idiots.

To whoever said the monkey comparison was okay because George W. is sometimes compared to a monkey, you're wrong. George W. is compared to a monkey because he's a white guy who looks like a monkey. Obama is compared to a monkey because he's black. Racism doesn't get much more blatant than that.

Beautiful. :thumbsup: It's really handy when my opinion is already stated for me. Saves me the typing !Booya!

And I can't believe someone didn't get the reference...

Taco John
02-19-2009, 06:14 PM
I hate racism. I've experienced and fought it myself.

This is not racism by a long shot. It's just a bunch of people devaluing real racism and making the fight that much harder for people to take seriously.

ColoradoDarin
02-19-2009, 06:15 PM
I would say that if your first thought is that the monkey represents Obama, then you're probably a racist (you automatically associate a monkey with a black man...). That said, shouldn't a cartoon be funny?

Garcia Bronco
02-19-2009, 06:19 PM
It racist if you think dark skined humans are monkeys.

Popps
02-19-2009, 06:28 PM
I hate racism. I've experienced and fought it myself.

This is not racism by a long shot. It's just a bunch of people devaluing real racism and making the fight that much harder for people to take seriously.

Precisely.

Again, if it WAS intended to be racist, it was a really poor attempt. It's just inaccurate on almost every level.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Precisely.

Again, if it WAS intended to be racist, it was a really poor attempt. It's just inaccurate on almost every level.

But thats not the point. The point is ingrained racism in society...what is proper and what isnt. Again, im not up in arms about this cartoon, but they should have known better. Plus, the cartoon is not funny

Broncobuddy7
02-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Nothing really surprises me. That would include finding out either one of these two statements is true:

1. The cartoonists really is racist and couldn't have been any more clear about the message they were trying to convey.

-or-

2. The cartoonist is just stupid for creating a cartoon in poor taste which could be construed as racist.

Either way it's up to the viewer to decide.

Kid A
02-19-2009, 06:39 PM
But thats not the point. The point is ingrained racism in society...what is proper and what isnt. Again, im not up in arms about this cartoon, but they should have known better. Plus, the cartoon is not funny

Exactly. I certainly don't believe the cartoonist and editor of the paper deserve to be called racists, but I also don't feel too sorry for them having to deal with this backlash. The should be smart/seasoned enough to know what kind of things bring out the people who do cry "racist" at every little thing.

If you are going to publish a paper that reaches thousands of people, you have to be smart enough to understand how things are perceived. Intention often means NOTHING in the court of public opinion. It might not be fair, but that's reality, and any media member with half a brain understands this.

TheReverend
02-19-2009, 06:45 PM
I would say that if your first thought is that the monkey represents Obama, then you're probably a racist (you automatically associate a monkey with a black man...). That said, shouldn't a cartoon be funny?

I think the people that make statements like that are probably a racist.

How ya like them apples?

Kaylore
02-19-2009, 06:53 PM

How ya like them apples?

I say people who say other people are racist are racist! HA! :approve:

ColoradoDarin
02-19-2009, 06:54 PM

How ya like them apples?

Eh, what apples? You are apparently trying to make a point, but it's a poor attempt.

Broncobuddy7
02-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Here's a really good article if anyone cares to read it.

Study: Racist Attitudes Are Still Ingrained
By Eben Harrell Thursday, Jan. 08, 2009

Abraham Lincoln concluded his first Inaugural Address in 1861 by expressing confidence that the "better angels" of the American psyche would one day prevail over racism. But as the country prepares to inaugurate its first black President on Jan. 20, new academic evidence suggests that the demons of unconscious racism still hold startlingly powerful sway.

A study in the Jan. 9 issue of the journal Science presents strong evidence that even people who aspire to tolerance — who would consider themselves nonracist — still harbor unconscious biases powerful enough to prevent them from confronting overt racists or from being upset by other people's racist behavior. The authors say the results suggest attitudes so deeply ingrained that protective legislation and affirmative-action programs are required to overcome them. The results may even offer clues as to how other societies have spiraled into genocide.

The study, by researchers at Yale University and Toronto's York University, involved 120 nonblack students who were told they were being recruited for an experiment on team-oriented problem-solving. They were broken into three groups. The members of the first group were individually placed in a room with a black actor and a white actor, both posing as fellow participants in the study, and watched as the black actor slightly bumped the white actor while leaving the room. After the black actor had left, the white actor played out one of three scenarios, saying, "I hate it when black people do that," "Clumsy n______" or nothing at all. None of the people in the two other study groups experienced the interactions directly; one group watched them on video and the other simply read about them. (See The Cure for Racism.)

After the incident, students were asked to choose one of the two actors — still posing as fellow participants — for the teamwork assignment. More than 80% of the students who watched a racist exchange on video said they would not work with the white student. Those who read about racist behavior showed a similar aversion, with 75% preferring the black actor as a teammate. Participants in both groups said they were deeply upset by the racist comments.

The same did not hold true for the participants who experienced the racist event firsthand. None intervened to correct or disparage the white actor, nor did they report being upset by his comments when questioned later. In fact, 71% of the students chose the white actor as their partner for the assignment when he made a racist comment; a similar percentage chose the white partner when he did not make a racist comment.

The study's authors speculate that people who witnessed the event in person were less offended by the racist behavior because of a psychological phenomenon known as the impact bias of affective forecasting, which is the tendency for people to overestimate how strongly they will react to emotional events. Failing to feel outrage, the participants may have then rationalized the racist comment as somehow acceptable and let it pass, the researchers say.

"People expect to feel much more emotion than they actually do. We are good at rationalizing responses," says Jack Dovidio, a Yale psychologist and co-author of the study. "If there are certain costs — we don't want to get involved, maybe because we aren't quite as committed to equality as we thought we were — then we go through a series of rationalizations: 'Maybe it wasn't that bad.' That's the danger — that we explain everything away. It justifies our behavior."

"I think this helps explain the big discrepancy in [North American] culture between what people say and think about racism and the actual persistence of racism in our society," he says. (The study's participants were students in Toronto, but Dovidio says the results reflect North American, rather than strictly Canadian, biases.)

The study, titled "Mispredicting Affective and Behavioral Responses to Racism," adds to the emerging but still controversial "implicit association" theory of racism. Researchers have long known that people hold culturally instilled associations with certain objects — English-speaking North Americans are faster to recognize the word butter if they have just seen the word bread momentarily flashed on a screen (ditto soy and rice for East Asians). Harvard psychologist Mahzarin Banaji has found that Americans recognize negative words such as angry, criminal and poor more quickly after being exposed to a black face (often blacks do too), suggesting unconscious racist associations with black people.

But some psychologists have questioned the link between unconscious racist attitudes and real-world discrimination. In an Op-Ed piece in the Wall Street Journal in 2005, Philip Tetlock, a psychologist at the University of California, Berkeley, and Amy Wax, a law professor at the University of Pennsylvania, mocked the notion that "we are all racists at heart," claiming that "no research demonstrates that, after subtracting the influence of residual old-fashioned prejudice, split-second reactions in the laboratory predict real-world decisions."

Dovidio says his study provides strong evidence to the contrary and argues that tacit acceptance of racism is enough to influence outcomes in a society. "The most worrying aspect is that even if a small proportion of a society is active, old-fashioned racists, and if the majority of people who believe they are not racist rationalize away racist behavior and don't intervene or even get upset when it occurs, then the society is going to be an unfair, unequal society," Dovidio says. Kerry Kawakami, a co-author of the study at York University, goes even further, claiming it shows how societies can degrade into genocide: "The results may explain how Nazi Germany happened."

Dovidio and Kawakami say the study suggests North Americans need help, in the form of regulations such as workplace quotas and affirmative action, if they expect to realize their egalitarian ideals. "We shouldn't push policies that focus on intentions but rather on outcomes," Dovidio says.

He adds that similarly executed "deception studies," in which experimenters withhold disclosure about the nature of the experiment to participants, have revealed troubling examples of human callousness before. It was studies in the 1970s, he points out, that identified the psychological phenomenon of "diffusion of responsibility," which gained notoriety following the brutal public slaying of Kitty Genovese in New York City in 1964, during which none of her neighbors in the surrounding apartment buildings responded to her cries for help or called the police.

But Dovidio says that unconscious biases can be overcome through self-awareness as North Americans learn to free blacks from the negative associations that have metaphorically fettered them for so long. As a measure of the difficulty of allowing our better angels to prevail, however, consider this question: Do you imagine those angels to be black?

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1870408,00.html

Kaylore
02-19-2009, 06:57 PM
The authors say the results suggest attitudes so deeply ingrained that protective legislation and affirmative-action programs are required to overcome them.
Oh really. ::) I didn't know one study could "prove" that. Was this "study" conducted at a liberal think tank?

TheReverend
02-19-2009, 06:59 PM

That's what I said..........

Smug smile slammed back or completely misunderstood in the first place?

broncofan7
02-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Considering that historicly Blacks have been compared to monkeys & Obamas' ownership of the stimulis bill, I have to say it's racist.

I always looks at cries of racism in our current time with a certain level of cynicism--but I have to say that I agree with you on this one. VERY poor choice IMHO

BroncoBuff
02-19-2009, 07:08 PM
There's another aspect to the cartoon I didn't mention in the starter post, and surprisingly nobody raised: The 200 pound chimp in the news that was shot dead by cops after attacking somebody. That supposedly informed the cartoonist, and it probably mitigates toward "not" racist.

But still ... the one who "wrote" the stimulus - whether he actually put pen to paper or not - was President Obama. So the chimp IS Obama.

The next step though gets murkier .... because lotsa people (me included) have been calling Bush a "chimp" for eight years (I started a thread called "Chimp in Chief" about Bush ... one of LABF's favorite anti-Bush sites is called SmirkingChimp.com). So the idea that a monkey is always a definite racist symbol when referring to a black man is not exactly cut and dried.

Archer81
02-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Ummm...wrong:

The new AP/GfK poll shows that the public is optimistic that the stimulus plan will work, and they approve the performance of Democrats on the economy -- and disapprove of the Republicans.

The poll was conducted from February 12-17, during the final days of the compromise process for the stimulus bill. So we now have a look at public opinion during the period when it became clear that the bill was going to pass:

• 52% of Americans approve of the stimulus bill, with 41% disapproving. And the public is confident by a 54%-45% margin that the plan will result in significant improvement.

• President Obama's overall approval rating comes in at 67%, with only 24% disapproval. His specific approval on the economy is 68%-27%.

• Congress' approval is at only 31%-59%, but additional questions show a much more complicated picture. The number for Congressional Democrats is at 49%-45%, while Republicans are at 33%-59%. The Republicans appear to be cramping Congress' style.

• Only 30% say Obama hasn't done enough to cooperate with Republicans in Congress -- the GOP base vote, basically -- while 62% say he's doing the right amount and 6% say it's been too much. Flipping it around, only 27% say Republicans have done enough to cooperate with Obama, with 64% saying not enough and 5% saying too much.

• And here's another interesting number. Respondents were asked whether various measures would help the economy -- and 65% say pulling out of Iraq would help.

--- not to mention----

Stimulus works. WHat do you think ww2 was?

Yeah, i am sure that the 38% of Americans who thought the stimulus was a good idea before it was passed just changed their minds...this thing is bad news. This bill is still packed with democrat pet projects with very little actually going to stimulate the economy. Have you read the 1400 pages of this bill or are you just listening to MSNBC?

*EDIT* WW2 was not a "stimulus", and all the spending FDR enacted in the 1930's did nothing to actually end the depression. Unemployment never dipped below 15%, and didnt until 1943.

:Broncos:

Broncobuddy7
02-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Oh really. ::) I didn't know one study could "prove" that. Was this "study" conducted at a liberal think tank?

YES! I love liberal/conservative arguments. I would pay good money to see Olbermann and Hannity in a steel cage match to the death. And whomever remains standing at the end gets a bullet in the head so we can be rid of both of them.:peace:

Archer81
02-19-2009, 07:17 PM
There's another aspect to the cartoon I didn't mention in the starter post, and surprisingly nobody raised: The 200 pound chimp in the news that was shot dead by cops after attacking somebody. That supposedly informed the cartoonist, and it probably mitigates toward "not" racist.

But still ... the one who "wrote" the stimulus - whether he actually put pen to paper or not - was President Obama. So the chimp IS Obama.

The next step though gets murkier .... because lotsa people (me included) have been calling Bush a "chimp" for eight years (I started a thread called "Chimp in Chief" about Bush ... one of LABF's favorite anti-Bush sites is called SmirkingChimp.com). So the idea that a monkey is always a definite racist symbol when referring to a black man is not exactly cut and dried.

Could be the chimp represents all the morons in congress who rushed this stimulus through without actually reading it...

Dagmar
02-19-2009, 07:18 PM
http://img.visualizeus.com/thumbs/09/01/03/quote,typography,life,quotes,text,frase-5df3a53bf4497e75b9fbd4be277c51bd_h.jpg

TheReverend
02-19-2009, 07:22 PM
http://img.visualizeus.com/thumbs/09/01/03/quote,typography,life,quotes,text,frase-5df3a53bf4497e75b9fbd4be277c51bd_h.jpg

QFT

Dukes
02-19-2009, 07:26 PM
If only Gonzo were still here.........

And no, it's not racist.

BroncoBuff
02-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Could be the chimp represents all the morons in congress who rushed this stimulus through without actually reading it...

I thought of that .... but the chimp is a singular figure, and the pronoun "someONE" is also singular.

If it was a pack of chimps, and the referenece plural, then maybe.

BroncoMan4ever
02-19-2009, 07:30 PM
haha...nine people thought it was racist??

this country sucks when it comes to double standards...

writers were pretty much comparing bush to retarded people and hillbillies for four years and nobody said a word

because that was true. it wasn't like someone decided to just call him a retarded hillbilly because they didn't like him, he really was a stupid, retarded hillbilly.

Archer81
02-19-2009, 07:30 PM
I thought of that .... but the chimp is a singular figure, and the pronoun "someONE" is also singular.

If it was a pack of chimps, and the referenece plural, then maybe.

Good catch.

Archer81
02-19-2009, 07:32 PM
because that was true. it wasn't like someone decided to just call him a retarded hillbilly because they didn't like him, he really was a stupid, retarded hillbilly.

I think its funny Bush's intelligence is called into question by democrats. Then you get to hear the esteemed Madam Speaker actually speak and you suddenly realize the pot was calling the kettle black, and she is STILL in power...then you hear Reid speak, and then you realize again, he is STILL in power. Then it makes sense why congress had a lower approval rating then Bush the last 2 years of his presidency...

DHallblows
02-19-2009, 07:34 PM
???Yaaaa? Otherwise the cartoon would make absolutely no sense. Why would 2 cops shoot a chimp who's randomly in the city? I'm fairly confident everybody assumed that...

Archer81
02-19-2009, 07:38 PM
???Yaaaa? Otherwise the cartoon would make absolutely no sense. Why would 2 cops shoot a chimp who's randomly in the city? I'm fairly confident everybody assumed that...

With the American people being the person the 200lb chimp maimed and nearly killed...

BroncoBuff
02-19-2009, 07:49 PM
Okay yes, 99% of people knew that .... but here's something you guys might not know: I heard the cartoonist himself this morning on Stephanie Miller (a tape of his statement, not with her), and he said: "if the chimp represented anyone, it would be Nancy Pelosi."

Well ... after 75 votes in this poll, we have ZERO votes for the Pelosi category. Hmmmmm, the plot thickens......

BroncoBuff
02-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Wait .. last post wrong. I goofed that up, in choice 2 I was trying to bait votes on Pelosi, but I used the word "racist."

My bad ::)

Archer81
02-19-2009, 07:54 PM
Pelosi is not a chimp! That insults chimps everywhere!!

Taco John
02-19-2009, 08:58 PM

From everything that I've read, Pelosi is the one who wrote the bill.

Pick Six
02-19-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm with the people who said that this cartoon is neither racist nor funny...

broncocalijohn
02-19-2009, 09:45 PM
It said WRITE not SIGN the next stimulus plan. It is either a reference to trained monkeys for the congress or just a bunch of monkeys/primates/whatever to describe our legislatures. It is tied in with the Ape that went Ape Sheat a few days ago.
Another piece to try to find racism.

DHallblows
02-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Oh my goodness! Someone finally voted for the middle option!

watermock
02-19-2009, 10:03 PM
It's certainly objectionable.

I'd tase the author.

JJJ
02-19-2009, 11:45 PM
Had this bill passed on Bush's watch and the chimp had Bush's face no one would have given the cartoon a second thought. Double standard.

The cartoon is probably in bad taste though out of respect for the lady who was injured by the chimp.

Dudeskey
02-19-2009, 11:50 PM

Now it just became funny... The original wasn't very funny, not racist either IMO.

DHallblows
02-20-2009, 12:05 AM
Had this bill passed on Bush's watch and the chimp had Bush's face no one would have given the cartoon a second thought. Double standard.

The cartoon is probably in bad taste though out of respect for the lady who was injured by the chimp.

I'm pretty sure a DIRECT reference to assassinating the President of the United States would get a second thought...

BroncoBuff
02-20-2009, 12:12 AM
Yeah ... like I posted, I think the ubiquitous Bush=chimp comparisons dull the potential this was a racist slap at Obama. Although you gotta know the cartoonist and editors were not shocked by the blowback here.

Oh my goodness! Someone finally voted for the middle option!
No, somebody was just tweaking me there I think ... I shouldda said "derogatory" instead of "racist" in option #2, it was put there to snag those who thought it was a Pelosi reference as the cartoonist said.

vancejohnson82
02-20-2009, 10:24 AM
I'm pretty sure a DIRECT reference to assassinating the President of the United States would get a second thought...

not really.....there were all sorts of jokes going around when Cheney had the rifle incident abotu how people wish Bush was out there and was shot...

whatever, democrats and the left wingers will always have some sort of a stick up their ass about something...before it was the people in power, but now that their people are in power its going to be "disrespect" issues or "racism"

please, this is a joke that almost 50 people thought it was racist....

gyldenlove
02-20-2009, 10:40 AM

I would like to say that I use the term ape about idiots of any creed, ethinicity, color or planet of origin.

I have been called a racist for using the term ape about Michael Vick, but nobody ever called me a racist when I used the term about Al Davis.

It is not necesarily THE issue, but a lot of people will find racism whenever there is a negative reference about a person of non caucasian ethnicity, and often that is just not the case.

The guy who wrote the Stimulus bill is an ape the same way the guy who wrote Tommy Kellys contract is an ape, and incendentally the same way the people who designed and build the new student recreation center at my University were shaved gorillas.

barryr
02-20-2009, 01:27 PM
I'd be surprised since racist cartoons are reserved for black republicans.

ScottXray
02-20-2009, 01:39 PM
The cartoon depicting the killing of the chimp is NOT racist.
Sad,

The Caption , about the stimulus bill, in conjunction with the image
portrayed is not only Racist, It is BLATANTLY so.

a POX on this and the SICK bastage that drew it....and on the editors and publishers who are promoting it.

ElwayMD
02-20-2009, 02:22 PM
I think the cartoonist was trying to play off the fact that the stimulus bill was written by a bunch of monkeys (like the you can put a bunch of monkeys in a room with typewriters and see what you get). But people are some damned sensitive in this world that anything that could be loosely defined as racism is automatically called that by anyone who will profit from that term being thrown around. I find it pathetic that Al Sharpton was on TV running his racist mouth about this cartoon (since he has made more than his fair share of anti-semetic remarks).

Broncos_OTM
02-20-2009, 02:23 PM
whats lame is that on the front page of the Denver post they talk about the Attoureny General calling americans "cowards" for not talking more indepth on Racial matters. and then the last page the blacks are whineing about this bs.

You know what Mencia the spannish comedian.david cheapell, chris rock and all that other racial comedy gets laughed at. What gives.

White people for the most part have White Racial Guilt. I say Bull****. i dont give a flying **** if its racist or not. I see it every time i turn on the TV so how is the ****ing newspaper should be any differant

Bronco Bob
02-21-2009, 02:37 AM

More like just 39%, you know, those same 39% who thought Bush was doing a good job.

60% of the people favor it.

http://www.pollingreport.com/budget.htm

Bronco Bob
02-21-2009, 02:47 AM

Having racist thoughts is like masturbating. Everybody does it but no one wants
to admit to it.

What I felt was in poor taste was making fun of a dead chimp who was
killed because a stupid old woman decided she wanted a 200 lb.
wild animal as a pet.

Bronco Bob
02-21-2009, 03:04 AM
*EDIT* WW2 was not a "stimulus", and all the spending FDR enacted in the 1930's did nothing to actually end the depression. Unemployment never dipped below 15%, and didnt until 1943.

Gotta love the Republican Revisionists and the snake oil they try to peddle.

Unemployment was 25% when FDR took office in 1933. It had dropped to 9.2% in 1937.
In 1941 unemployment was down to 6%.

The GDP also increased 10.8% in 1934 and 8.9% in 1935.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2009/02/18/the_new_deal_and_right_wing_revisionism/

Atlas
02-21-2009, 04:23 AM
That is one of the racist cartoons I have ever seen. There probably isn't a black person in America that doesn't think that is racist.

HILife
02-21-2009, 05:45 AM
The cartoon is not funny.

Yes, at first look it can be seen as VERY racist.

If you think about it Obama is not writing the bill he is just pushing for it and signing it. Congress and the Senate are writing and adjusting it. So if you think about it the cartoon is not referring to Obama.

Now that I pointed that last part out I also like to say no one is going to think that deeply and everyone is going to have a knee jerk reaction especially the black community. After so many years of racism and hatred that still goes on today it's important to be careful with some of the things that are said. So in the end they really should have seen this coming.

I'm black and when I first saw this I thought it was offensive, but as I thought it out I relieved it can be interpreted many different ways.

baja
02-21-2009, 07:46 AM
Well Bush was called the smirking chimp for 8 years and no one once mentioned that was racist so why would this obscure reference be deemed racist The truth is anyone that would think this is racist is a racist for thinking that.

loborugger
02-21-2009, 08:16 AM
That is one of the racist cartoons I have ever seen. There probably isn't a black person in America that doesn't think that is racist.

Oh, I am sure there are more than a few who dont care & dont look for a Klansmen behind every corner.

Funny, there was a collection of folks on here - yourself and LABF - who got their news from a site called SmirkingChimp.com. And I get it, when he stuck his lips out, he had primate like qualities. Come to think of it, he had primate like intellect...

But now, lets look at Barry. Dudes got Volkswagen like ears... kinda remind me of a primate, too. But do you think anyone, anywhere will be able to have a site called SmilingChimp, GrinningChimp, CommyChimp, or anything like that. No, cuz it will be shouted down as racist, colleges and govt entities will ban their computers from visiting the site, advertisers will not do ads there, even if all it carries is rightist news and opinions.

So, lets see... We can call a white dude a monkey, cant call a black dude a monkey. Sounds like racism to me.

Wanna be in the White House? Gotta grow some thick skin.

Its gonna be real interesting after a year or two when Barry's popularity plummets (and it will), when mainstream news medias decide he looks less like the Commander in Chief and more like the Buffoon in Chief (oops! dont go there!)

How will they criticize and characterize him? Anything will be shouted down as racist. I remember cartoons of Ronny looking all wrinkly with a hairdo like the fin on a 57 Caddy. Both the Bushes looked Primate like. And Clinton looked like Bob's Big Boy with a slick or deceitful look on his face.

But how they gonna do Barry? Make him look incompetent? Thats racist. Twist his face outta shape? Thats racist. Put a stupid look on his face? Thats racist.

Its gonna be fun watching the media twist inside of its own falsely constructed pen when it comes to mocking Obama...

vindico
02-21-2009, 10:54 AM
could this cartoon be seen as rascist?

http://media.thelowbar.com/media_lynches_obama.jpg

vote!

Northman
02-21-2009, 11:19 AM
I think the cartoonist was trying to play off the fact that the stimulus bill was written by a bunch of monkeys (like the you can put a bunch of monkeys in a room with typewriters and see what you get). But people are some damned sensitive in this world that anything that could be loosely defined as racism is automatically called that by anyone who will profit from that term being thrown around. I find it pathetic that Al Sharpton was on TV running his racist mouth about this cartoon (since he has made more than his fair share of anti-semetic remarks).

Yes and no.

I agree that i think the intent was what you initially said here. However, knowing that blacks were at one time referred to as monkeys i can see why it might seem as a racist cartoon. Again, i dont think that was the intent here but i do think it was a poor choice in terms of what was drawn.

Bronx33
02-21-2009, 11:49 AM
They showed bush as a monkey in comics for years ( no outrage then) or just maybe they are alluding to the person whom wrote the bill as a monkey since it may have been written by a monkey and voted on by monkeys.

DenverBrit
02-21-2009, 11:57 AM
To be honest, the thought didn't cross my mind when I saw that cartoon. I thought it obscure and not funny.

So when a chimp is portrayed as doing something human it could be racist?
Surely not.

In his 1973 book A Random Walk Down Wall Street, Burton Malkiel famously suggested that a chimp, trained to throw a dart at a list of equities, could pick stocks as well as a professional fund manager.

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/bs.nsf/Article/Whats-the-alternative-$pd20090219-PE2RE?OpenDocument&src=mp

Chimp Who Likes to Paint & Other Artists
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/06/birds_elephants.php

The sad truth of it is, these viewers simply don’t know that every time they see a chimpanzee acting human on TV — by wearing clothes, riding a tricycle or pretending to speak or smile — they’re actually viewing the product of a cruel cycle of exploitation, intimidation and abuse.
http://www.aldf.org/article.php?id=318

UberBroncoMan
02-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Hardly racist...

It took a bunch of dumbass apes to get it passed.

UberBroncoMan
02-21-2009, 12:18 PM
could this cartoon be seen as rascist?

vote!

Not really... I think it's false too.

The media didn't really cover anything negative about Obama. Mostly hid his faults and his acquaintances. No one talked about how his mentor in High School who he mentions in his book "dreams from my father" as "frank" aka Frank Marshall Davis, was an stout Communist etc etc. Or all the other socialist/marxist wackjobs he followed after.

All that picture looks like is making him some sort of martyr for the "hope" of America, which in itself is biblical in scale and utterly delusional. Just taking something false and attempting to make him look like a savior out of it... really disturbing.

Almost as absurd as the journalist that just flew on Air Force One and said Obama has no faults about him and is a kin to the Dalai Lama... going so far to say that if you cut open Obama's head you'd find a smiling Buddha inside.

I swear I feel like I've traveled back in time and am living around Americans with the mentality of the people and media of 1930's Germany.

Bronx33
02-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Al sharpton to the front office, Al sharpton to the front office time to put your stupid fat face on tv.

cutthemdown
02-21-2009, 12:27 PM

Didn't they do a few cartoons of Bush that made him look like a monkey also. Black people need to get over it. Obama didn't write the stimulus bill, no way this could be about him. I knew right away that it represented congress because it said WRITE in the title.

Now if it had said who is going to sign your stimulus package now? then yes about Obama.

cutthemdown
02-21-2009, 12:29 PM
At least Sharpton and Spike Lee have something to be mad about. Without that they could not survive.

Hey maybe Sharpton will find some innocent white kids to blame for something and have a banner year.

cutthemdown
02-21-2009, 12:32 PM
remember this? no one got upset about it that I can remember. If monkey makes you think black people then maybe it's you that is racist.

IMO whites no further from apes then blacks, we all evolved together. If you think different then maybe this was a good cartoon. People need to get over this crap.

DenverBrit
02-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Didn't they do a few cartoons of Bush that made him look like a monkey also. Black people need to get over it. Obama didn't write the stimulus bill, no way this could be about him. I knew right away that it represented congress because it said WRITE in the title.

Now if it had said who is going to sign your stimulus package now? then yes about Obama.

Yep.
http://lsblog.org/blog1/images/bush_chimp.jpg

...and Clinton. The two whitest guys I know.
http://www.techimo.com/forum/attachments/imo-community/13844d1112386073-hey-guys-remember-bush-chimp-photos-monky_bill.jpg

cutthemdown
02-21-2009, 12:38 PM
So unless you feel apes are more like blacks then whites this cartoon should not seem racist. When people act stupid we compare them to monkeys. We did it with Bush and no one cared. If a kid is jumping around the yard acting like a monkey you might call him a little monkey. Black or white it doesn't matter. It's time to stop calling every little thing racist and wasting a bunch of money and time on it.

All those people protesting the newspaper should be out trying to work and make money. Oh i forget Sharpton is working. Sharpton like a bull in a china shop when he smells some black anger brewing. Get on it and get some cash for his lifestyle.

cutthemdown
02-21-2009, 12:47 PM
racism is believing your race is genetically, culturally, superior to other races. It's also doing acts which are a symptom of that belief you are superior. IE not giving a loan, not giving a job, not wanting to sit next to, giving a harsher punishment to etc. Of course beating or killing someone because of race would be the full blown form of racism.

By caring about a stupid cartoon it waters down the real problems and allows people like Sharpton and Spike Lee to promote their anti white agenda.

Don't fall for it people it's not worth it. White people just voted for a black man in overwhelming numbers. The country has a chance to move away from petty racial differences but only if we stop sweating the small stuff.

Is making a joke about white people not being able to dance funny or racist. its a blurred line but the reason its not racist is because white people aren't bothered by it.

Had no one cared about this stupid cartoon it wouldn't have been an issue. In fact I probably would not have even seen it.

The new atty general is right America is scared about race. Whites probably don't talk about it out of fear it being taken the wrong way and then you have to deal with Al Sharptons planet of the apes.

footstepsfrom#27
02-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Yeah of course it's racist and it's not even difficult to decipher this if you realize what the New York Post is all about...under Rupert Murdoch the NYP has been both an extremely consertative political mouthpiece and basically a tabloid disguised as a legit newspaper on the strength of their longevity. NYP's goal is sensationalism. Look at the elements in the cartoon:

1) New York cops shooting a guy; repeated headlines over many years related to NYPD shooting or otherwise abusing unarmed blacks is clearly what they're wanting you to see. So obviously the chimp is not just a chimp...he's the victim of another NYPD shooting. Couple this with the historic representation of blacks as monkies...I don't care if Bush does look more like a chimp...the cartoon is meant to depict Obama, not congress or some actual chimp. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to get this.

2) The supposed tie-in to a chimp in Connecticut is nothing but an attempt to create a veneer of plausible deniability they can use when the heat comes down. Again...remember the NYP is all about creating controversy with sensationalistic stuff that gets people riled up. Obviously they succeeded here. How would the chimp having something to do with the one in Connecticut help them achieve sensationalism or run consistent with their tabloid mentality that helps sell papers? It wouldn't. They probably saw an opportunity to use the chimip in Connecticut story as a cover but that's not their intended target in this cartoon. This is your clue as to their actual intent...will it sell papers or not and will it generate controversy? That's the NYP modus operandi.

3) Forget the intracacies of political procedure and who actually votes to pass a stimulus package...the average Joe 6-pack isn't goint to even consider that when they see the words "stimulus package" in a cartoon that appears to represent Obama as a monkey. This isn't the same readership that enjoys Doonsbury and the same people who read the NYP probably buy the National Inquirer as well. I promise you 90% of the people who read that cartoon immediately associated it with Obama and that's exactly what they wanted...controversy that sells papers. The very fact that it's being discussed on this board proves they achieved their objective...in their minds, the only bad publicity is no publicity.

Having said all this, I could give a crap about what the NYP does in a cartoon and Sharpton et all can kiss mine...there are REAL race issues of extremely disturbing circumstances that need addressing in this country so who has time for this stupidity?

cutthemdown
02-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Even if it is some plan to use the chimp shooting incident to mask a racist joke who the **** cares? It doesn't matter. If the Post is known as a racist magazine, and that is supposed common knowledge then why the outrage?

There are lot's of offensive things in the media meant to rile people up, to get them talking. You know like we are here right now about this topic.

The cartoon isn't a great one, it didn't make me laugh but i don't see it as a threat to black people. Certainly not enough to waste a bunch of time on. Save the crusades for the bigger stuff.

IMO Sharpton making a huge deal over it just turns white people off and makes blacks look bad.

The people at the post would look worst IMO if people just didn't care enough to even comment on it.

cutthemdown
02-21-2009, 01:33 PM
If a cartoons objective is to sell papers through sensationalism is anything they do worthy of being labeled anything? Is it even racism when the goal is to sell papers? IMO racism is bigger then that, its about trying to keep people down, denying them a pursuit of happiness.

cutthemdown
02-21-2009, 01:35 PM
now if a paper writes articles trying to suggest how people can get away with racism on blacks, how to deny them jobs without getting caught. How to spot black peoples voices on the phone to tell them house is already rented etc etc. That would be worthy of a huge protest.

But a stupid cartoon that makes fun of a back person is not racist, its just a bad joke.

footstepsfrom#27
02-21-2009, 01:48 PM
IMO Sharpton making a huge deal over it just turns white people off and makes blacks look bad.
Al Sharpton has nothing to do with representing black people. Al Sharpton is about representing Al Sharpton. His pathetic antics are no more a reflection on blacks than David Duke's are a reflection on you. He's nothing but a propped up media charicature designed to straw man the legitimacy of real racism and those who are engaged in fighting it.

cutthemdown
02-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Al Sharpton has nothing to do with representing black people. Al Sharpton is about representing Al Sharpton. His pathetic antics are no more a reflection on blacks than David Duke's are a reflection on you. He's nothing but a propped up media charicature designed to straw man the legitimacy of real racism and those who are engaged in fighting it.

Yeah but somehow we have to get him out of that roll. I totally agree with you that Sharpton is all those things. But by getting upset over a stupid cartoon you perpetuate real racism being ignored.

Where then does he get his money? People have to be giving it to him.

footstepsfrom#27
02-21-2009, 01:59 PM
This is the New York Post...any questions?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2b/NYPost.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2b/NYPost.jpg)

footstepsfrom#27
02-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Yeah but somehow we have to get him out of that roll. I totally agree with you that Sharpton is all those things. But by getting upset over a stupid cartoon you perpetuate real racism being ignored.
We don't have to do any such thing. I ignore him...you should too. Who are you referencing getting upset? Me? I could care less about this. I'm simply answering the queston the poll asked.
Where then does he get his money? People have to be giving it to him.
He's a political scumbag who probably has multiple sources of income...everything from crooked business deals to ignorant dupes who think he's fighting a real crusade. What has that got to do with anything? White people pay more attention to Sharpton than blacks do. He's irrelevant and nothing but a media creation.