PDA

View Full Version : Anyone live in the Carolinas?

broncofan
02-19-2009, 03:55 PM
I don't recall anybody in particular here having lived down there, but the majority of the people on this site are out west. Anyway...I'm moving to the Raleigh/Durham area in two weeks and I'm interested if anybody here has any knowledge as to the ins and outs of the two cities. Sports bars, sights, anything unique to the area...that kind of thing.

...And if anyone is curious...I've chosen to give my allegiance to UNC, mainly because I can't stand Duke. It's gotta be one or the other. I've heard that's what you have to do down there...

loborugger
02-19-2009, 04:36 PM
I think Raiders Rock lives in NC. He should be here in a few weeks announcing the Raiders will not only sweep us next year but win the SB in 2010 - only to go back into hibernation as soon as week 1 is over.

GreatBronco16
02-19-2009, 05:04 PM
My brother lives in that area, I'm sure he could tell you, but he isn't a Bronco fan nor a fan of the NFL really, but he loves it there.

Hope that helps.

ColoradoDarin
02-19-2009, 06:25 PM
...And if anyone is curious...I've chosen to give my allegiance to UNC, mainly because I can't stand Duke. It's gotta be one or the other. I've heard that's what you have to do down there...

I lived in the Raleigh area for a few years (my wife is from there and she still has most of her family in the area). First, give your allegiance to NC State (despite Rivers being from there, think Mario Williams happy thoughts). I had to move in 2004, and a lot has changed every time I go back.

I don't know what to tell you about bars, etc because RDU is a pretty large area (you have Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, Apex and a lot of surrounding areas) so it would depend on where you are going to live and what age group you are in (for instance - just out of college then you'll want to be near one of the campuses). There are a ton of good sports bars around - everyone is nuts for college sports.

Go tailgating at NC State football games, better than any pro game I've been to.

e-mac
02-19-2009, 06:49 PM
spent 4 years in Raleigh, good schools a real quiet town, LOL about the NC State stuff its true its real big there, lived in the Carolinas most my life North and South I prefer Charleston for a city with something to do but Raleigh is better for kids/family. BTW NC catches it more than Duke throw everyone off support Clemson :P

MechanicalBull
02-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Lived right outside Raleigh for a year and it's a nice area but not much going on. Of course college b-ball is king there with mainly NC State has the school the locals follow and cheer for. I noticed a lot of people were Redskins fans.

Raleigh has a nice historic district to walk around in and a sports bar or two in the market district. When I left NC they were right in the middle of building a convention center right in the center of Raleigh. Cary was/is becoming the booming town and where everyone is moving to. There is also an Independent Movie theater there as well which is pretty cool.

Durham I didn't care for except the stadium where the Bulls play is pretty good looking. Duke wasn't bad but i prefered UNC/Chaple Hill which has like a main street with places to go shopping, eating, and drinking.

DivineLegion
02-19-2009, 10:31 PM
I live in Cary, its a quant little town right on the border of Raleighwood.

You should consider the underdog when deliberating what school to root for, and root for NC State like every good human being on this planet.

If your going to be in the southern Raleigh/Cary area the Jack Astors on Walnut street has a ton of big screen TVs and are considering letting me start a Broncos Fan club. A good non-sports bars to check out would be The Flying Saucer on Harrington and Morgan.

Dos Rios
02-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Go Heels. Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill all have some great spots. Put a little South in your Mouth and Mama Dip's in Chapel Hill. And Duck ***e.

Dos Rios
02-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Go Heels. Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill all have some great spots. Put a little South in your Mouth and Mama Dip's in Chapel Hill. And Duck ***e.

Wow, the name of that crap school in Durham is a curse word on this site. How appropriate. Safest to just call it by its full name: University of New Jersey at Durham.