PDA

View Full Version : Schefter: Raiders sign Asomugha to 3 year, $45 million deal

montrose
02-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Upwards of $26 million guaranteed.

theAPAOps5
02-19-2009, 12:10 PM
How are they not over the cap with the contracts they have given out?

socalorado
02-19-2009, 12:11 PM

Yeah, i just cant see how chokeland pulled that off.

eddie mac
02-19-2009, 12:12 PM

They will be now but by league rules you dont need to be under the cap until next Friday.

bowtown
02-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Why only a 3 year deal?

tsiguy96
02-19-2009, 12:15 PM
good god, no wonder he signed there. they have to be 20-30 mil over the cap.

eddie mac
02-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Why only a 3 year deal?

Probably cos Nnamdi wouldn't commit any longer than that.

eddie mac
02-19-2009, 12:18 PM
good god, no wonder he signed there. they have to be 20-30 mil over the cap.

Not at all. I'd say around $10m-$12m over, though cutting Harris and Curry clears over $9m in room.

Rohirrim
02-19-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm sure Bowlen will be going over this with a fine toothed comb. ;D

UberBroncoMan
02-19-2009, 12:27 PM
This sucks... and what makes me wonder even more is how the hell Asomugha would want to stay in Oakland 3 more years. He would have commanded the same price on the FA market.

Edit: Interesting "Asomugha's contract voids after the second season unless the Raiders pay him $16.8 million for 2011 or the franchise tag for a quarterback, whichever is higher."

I guess this was just a money move on Nnamdi's part.

tsiguy96
02-19-2009, 12:30 PM
This sucks... and what makes me wonder even more is how the hell Asomugha would want to stay in Oakland 3 more years. He would have commanded the same price on the FA market.

Edit: Interesting "Asomugha's contract voids after the second season unless the Raiders pay him $16.8 million for 2011 or the franchise tag for a quarterback, whichever is higher."

I guess this was just a money move on Nnamdi's part.

hes gonna be good for awhile, he needs to make his money now and go for a championship later.

montrose
02-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Asomugha lands complex three-year deal with Raiders
By Adam Schefter

For a change, the Oakland Raiders intercepted CB Nnamdi Asomugha on his way to the free-agent market.

Asomugha signed a three-year deal that is worth a minimum of $45 million and could reach $50 million, a league source said.

It’s a complex contract that the NFL had to sift through and approve, and it has. The deal works like this:

The first two years, worth $28.5 million, are fully guaranteed. In the third year of the contract, if Oakland wants to keep Asomugha, it must pay him the average of the top five highest-paid cornerbacks in the game or $16.875 million — whichever is greater. If the Raiders fail to pick up the option, Asomugha will become a free agent, with Oakland not having the ability to tag him again.

It’s a complex deal, but the bottom line is it’s done. The Raiders kept Asomugha and punter Shane Lechler without having to use a franchise tag.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/19/asomugha-lands-complex-three-year-deal-with-raiders/

BroncoMan4ever
02-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Asomugha lands complex three-year deal with Raiders
By Adam Schefter

For a change, the Oakland Raiders intercepted CB Nnamdi Asomugha on his way to the free-agent market.

Asomugha signed a three-year deal that is worth a minimum of $45 million and could reach $50 million, a league source said.

Itís a complex contract that the NFL had to sift through and approve, and it has. The deal works like this:

The first two years, worth $28.5 million, are fully guaranteed. In the third year of the contract, if Oakland wants to keep Asomugha, it must pay him the average of the top five highest-paid cornerbacks in the game or $16.875 million ó whichever is greater. If the Raiders fail to pick up the option, Asomugha will become a free agent, with Oakland not having the ability to tag him again.

Itís a complex deal, but the bottom line is itís done. The Raiders kept Asomugha and punter Shane Lechler without having to use a franchise tag.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/19/asomugha-lands-complex-three-year-deal-with-raiders/

so basically it came down to franchise him and pay him 16million anyway for 1 year, orgive him a deal for the same money and not have to deal with him wanting out for a few years.

Drek
02-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Bravo to Asomugha and his agent. Al Davis should look forward to plenty of hate from his fellow owners now.

The flood gates for fully guaranteed NFL contracts has now been opened, welcome to the world of MLB and the NBA football fans.

This is effectively an MLB style contract worth $14.25M a year for two years with a 3rd year team option at $16.8M plus potential bonus money.

I think the top tier players across the entire NFL are the big winners on this deal, not just Nnamdi.

kmartin575
02-19-2009, 02:09 PM
so basically it came down to franchise him and pay him 16million anyway for 1 year, orgive him a deal for the same money and not have to deal with him wanting out for a few years.

The Franchise number to tag him this year was only in the range of $11-12 million, quite a bit less than what he signed for.

Punisher
02-19-2009, 02:31 PM
N.A is a dummy

wolf754life
02-19-2009, 02:40 PM
money talks, its a result driven world.

its not all sunshine and rainbows.