02-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Son of a....™

MVP-06
02-19-2009, 12:00 PM
He is not going to be happy...

dude is going to make 16 mil this year, im sure he can live with it

Kaylore
So there it is. No Suggs. No Atogwe. No Peppers. Now it's a bunch of leftovers who are probably free agents for a reason.

We'll have to do it the hard way: We'll have to suck it up, try and draft well and build at home. If a good free agent becomes available, so be it. However we're probably going to have a bad year as we try and rebuild from the core out. In the long run it will be better this way. I just hope Xanders and McDaniels can draft. Young coaches have bad luck in the draft their first years.

montrose
Panthers franchise Peppers after signing Gross
by Adam Schefter

Well, that didn’t take long. Moments after completing a deal for offensive tackle Jordan Gross, the Carolina Panthers designated Julius Peppers as their franchise player, a league source confirmed Thursday. Peppers’ franchise number is $16.683 million, but it is hardly the money that Peppers wants. He wants his freedom, the ability to leave Carolina and go play in a city that would be desirable to him.

Now that the Gross issue is out of the way, the Panthers can focus on resolving the one involving Peppers.

Carolina and Gross reached agreement Thursday on a record six-year contract worth just under $60 million that will pay out $30.5 million in the first three years of the deal, a league source said. The $30.5 million over the deal’s first three years is highest ever for an offensive lineman.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/19/panthers-franchise-peppers-after-signing-gross/

theAPAOps5
02-19-2009, 12:02 PM
dude is going to make 16 mil this year, im sure he can live with it

No actually he won't live with it in terms of happiness. Of course he has no choice but he wants to leave Carolina and has reportedly turned down a deal that would pay him nicely.

Dudeskey
02-19-2009, 12:04 PM
No actually he won't live with it in terms of happiness. Of course he has no choice but he wants to leave Carolina and has reportedly turned down a deal that would pay him nicely.

Ok am I correct that when a player receives the franchise tag, he doesn't need to get permission to seek a trade right?ô

theAPAOps5
02-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Ok am I correct that when a player receives the franchise tag, he doesn't need to get permission to seek a trade right?ô

I am fuzzy on the rules regarding trades. But to trade for him Denver would have to give up too much and they need everything they can get right now.

eddie mac
02-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Panthers will have to rework some deals now/make some cuts before next Friday cos by my reckoning they're anywhere between $5m-$10m over the cap now.

eddie mac
02-19-2009, 12:10 PM

Other teams can still talk to Peppers if it's a non-exclusive tag.

AFAIK Suggs is the only player who received the exclusive one so far.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-19-2009, 12:11 PM
So there it is. No Suggs. No Atogwe. No Peppers. Now it's a bunch of leftovers who are probably free agents for a reason.

Way to describe every FA, every offseason.

eddie mac
02-19-2009, 12:14 PM

We'll have to do it the hard way: We'll have to suck it up, try and draft well and build at home. If a good free agent becomes available, so be it. However we're probably going to have a bad year as we try and rebuild from the core out. In the long run it will be better this way. I just hope Xanders and McDaniels can draft. Young coaches have bad luck in the draft their first years.

Safety is the deepest position.

Bell, Jones, Phillips, Sanders, Renaldo Hill, Eugene Wilson, Mike Brown, Dawkins, Sharper and Sensabuagh will all hit the market.

vancejohnson82
02-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Peppers will bitch and moan a la Anquan Boldin this year...

u gotta wonder about a team that franchises a player that clearly doesnt want to be there

Beantown Bronco
02-19-2009, 12:19 PM
So he wants to be an OLB next year, right? I would've tagged him as an OLB instead of a DE just to spite him and save $.

tsiguy96
i was hoping to get a DL in FA, they take years to develop into quality starters..

eddie mac
Peppers will b**** and moan a la Anquan Boldin this year...

u gotta wonder about a team that franchises a player that clearly doesnt want to be there

Would you moan if it was Denver in the same position???

You dont give away All-Pro's for nothing.

eddie mac
02-19-2009, 12:20 PM
i was hoping to get a DL in FA, they take years to develop into quality starters..

IMHO Broncos will get one of either Olshansky or Canty and will sign Mike Wright from New England.

rugbythug
02-19-2009, 12:22 PM
So he wants to be an OLB next year, right? I would've tagged him as an OLB instead of a DE just to spite him and save $.

can't He is getting 120% of last years salary. Because that is higher than top 5 average.

rugbythug
02-19-2009, 12:23 PM
IMHO Broncos will get one of either Olshansky or Canty and will sign Mike Wright from New England.

Canty is probably going to the Dolphins. And he is wanting Tommy Kelly money.

400HZ
02-19-2009, 12:24 PM
:giggle: @ Peppers

HEAV
02-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Just remember boys & girls... there nothing free about free agnecy.

Beantown Bronco
02-19-2009, 12:29 PM

Don't let Albert Haynesworth hear you saying that about him.....he'll stomp on your head.

montrose
02-19-2009, 12:35 PM

I don't think there's any real surprises here. Peppers wasn't going to hit the open market and even if he did he wouldn't be wise to throw big money at a guy to try a new position. Atogwe and Asomugha were the only relative big-money guys I was interested in and they're both gone. It's now vital that we make the most out of our picks and I'd love to pick up more if possible for guys who won't fit into the new scheme.

Hopefully we come out of free agency with a starting safety, which seems possible in James Sanders or Jermaine Phillips. We should also be able to pick up a guy like Mike Wright to compete for a starting job at one of the DE positions. Hopefully we can snag Chris McAlister or James Bartell at the CB spot. Other than that, we're going to be looking to bring in mid-level guys who can provide depth and are smart, tough football players. It's about quantity over quality at this point in terms of free agency.

vancejohnson82
02-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Would you moan if it was Denver in the same position???

You dont give away All-Pro's for nothing.

see, Im not sure how I would feel about that...

I would be hard pressed to fork over money for tickets and spend my SUndays rooting for a guy who hates where he plays and wants nothing more than to get out

but thats just me...I'm a fan...I dont really like looking at it from a business perspective

The Joker
02-19-2009, 12:41 PM
I say we give up a 3rd and sign Gabe Watson as a RFA.

Then Mike Wright from NE to play DE, then Sean Jones and James Sanders to play Safety. None of those should break the bank and we have the cap room to get a few decent sized deals done.

We all then make a pact to work as a group in the hunting down and kidnapping of the loved ones of the GM's of the Lions, Rams, Chiefs, Seahawks, Browns, Bengals, Raiders, Jags, 49ers, Packers and Bills. We promise them that they shall be returned safely on the condition that none of them chooses Aaron Curry in the first round of the draft.

Draft Curry, add a star running back in the 2nd and we all dance like this until the sun comes up.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/Smileys/Lots_O_Smileys/tv15yu.gif

Dudeskey
02-19-2009, 12:45 PM
I am fuzzy on the rules regarding trades. But to trade for him Denver would have to give up too much and they need everything they can get right now.

True, Carolina from an organizational standpoint had to do this. After all, how would Rod Blagojevich put it?

"Itís a [bleeping] valuable thing. You just donít give it away for nothing" :~ohyah!:

ģ

Kaylore
02-19-2009, 12:46 PM

Then Mike Wright from NE to play DE, then Sean Jones and James Sanders to play Safety. None of those should break the bank and we have the cap room to get a few decent sized deals done.

We all then make a pact to work as a group in the hunting down and kidnapping of the loved ones of the GM's of the Lions, Rams, Chiefs, Seahawks, Browns, Bengals, Raiders, Jags, 49ers, Packers and Bills. We promise them that they shall be returned safely on the condition that none of them chooses Aaron Curry in the first round of the draft.

Draft Curry, add a star running back in the 2nd and we all dance like this until the sun comes up.

Where do I sign up?

400HZ
02-19-2009, 12:47 PM

Hilarious!

That's about the only way it will happen.

cutthemdown
02-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Broncos should offer Panthers a 1st round pick for Peppers.

But if I was Peppers I would sign the tender, grab the 16 million, have a good yr, hit FA next yr, or if tagged it will like 20 million for the yr. That would be 36 million over 2 yrs prob one of the biggest hauls ever in NFL for a Dend.

Or play this yr for 16 mil, then next yr hit market because Panthers cant tag you. Still be what 29 yrs old, get a huge deal with a big bonus.

IMO Panthers did this to trade him because absent a long term deal the numbers just don't make since.

Popps
02-19-2009, 01:22 PM

Wow, pretty depressing.

You're right... let's hope the new staff can find draft-studs in a hurry.

Inkana7
02-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Bastages.

BroncoBuff
02-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Everybody stop yer cryin' ... give Elvis and Jarvis a chance at WOLB. Peppers would've been too much money in one guy I think anyway ... especially in one guy who's never played the 3-4 WOLB before.

And please stop with the Aaron Curry pie-in-the-sky. To move up that high, we'd prolly have to give up this year's 1 and 2 and nexy year's #1. That just reality .... and it ain't gonna happen.

You wanna be positive? Both of Tampa's starting safeties are UFAs, and both are very good ... we can sign one. And sign Gabe Watson or Grady Jackson to bridge to Raji and/or Brace and/or Dorrell. And prepare yourselves for our 4 starting LBs to be named Boss, Spencer, DJ and Elvis.

montrose
02-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Everybody stop yer cryin' ... give Elvis and Jarvis a chance at WOLB. Peppers would've been too much money in one guy I think anyway ... especially in one guy who's never played the 3-4 WOLB before.

And please stop with the Aaron Curry pie-in-the-sky. To move up that high, we'd prolly have to give up this year's 1 and 2 and nexy year's #1. That just reality .... and it ain't gonna happen.

You wanna be positive? Both of Tampa's starting safeties are UFAs, and both are very good ... we can sign one. And sign Gabe Watson or Grady Jackson to bridge to Raji and/or Brace and/or Dorrell. And prepare yourselves for our 4 starting LBs to be named Boss, Spencer, DJ and Elvis.

Great post, although I wouldn't be surprised if our #12 pick is starting at one of those LB spots as Raji isn't a true nose and even if he was - there's talk he could go in the top 5 and there's no way in hell he's dropping to us anyhow. I'm thinking either Maualuga in for Larsen, Cushing in for Boss or one of the DE/OLBs in for Elvis, but for the most part your post is extremely on target.

TheReverend
02-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Wow. Never would've thought they'd actually do it.

If I'm Peppers I rush into the building and sign the ****ing thing asap. Jam their cap right back up their ass.

Hogan11
02-19-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm not surprised.

Broncos_OTM
02-19-2009, 03:20 PM

Would you please stop your whitning about people whiening every fricking thread.

HorseHead
02-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Why is Peppers so down on the Panthers, is it about the $$$?

It's not like they suck...though I think Delhome's days are numbered....

ro_50
02-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Is Jordan Gross worth all of that money? Dang.

i4jelway7
02-19-2009, 07:52 PM
J. Vilma is going to be available, we should bring him in .. reunite Vilma and DJ

BroncoBuff
02-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Would you please stop your whitning about people whiening every fricking thread.

PLEASE stop whining about my WHINING!

(seriously though, Aaron Curry is not gonna hppen)

Atwater His Ass
02-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Why is Peppers so down on the Panthers, is it about the $$$?

It's not like they suck...though I think Delhome's days are numbered....

They allegedly offered him a Jared Allen type deal, so it's not about the money.

I'm not sure why he's so adamant to get out either.