PDA

View Full Version : Official: Whats your favorite video game system?

PaintballCLE
02-18-2009, 11:11 PM
Sorry if i left a few off did this off the top of my hed from the ones I own

Poll coming (can vote for more than 1)

BroncoMan4ever
02-18-2009, 11:15 PM
atari and the original nintendo

Archer81
02-18-2009, 11:17 PM
Atari 2600
Nintendo
SNES
N64
Playstation
Playstation 2
Playstation 3

Yes, I am a brand whore, what of it? I like Sony...

:Broncos:

PaintballCLE
02-18-2009, 11:26 PM
the NES is by far my favorite..........i actually have every game ever made for that with the exception of 3 (bubble bath babes, peek a boo poker, and hot slots) so if any of you have those 3, let me know ASAP lol

NFLBRONCO
02-18-2009, 11:30 PM
I loved Punchout

Blart
02-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Pc?

Gcver2ver3
02-18-2009, 11:36 PM
wow that's tough...my top 5 ranking

1. Nintendo (NES)
2. PlayStation 2
3. Xbox 360
4. PlayStation
5. Sega Genesis

(with a special shout out to my Coleco Vision back in the day)

UberBroncoMan
02-18-2009, 11:37 PM
Nintendo Entertainment System
Super Nintendo
N64
Gamecube

Gameboy
Gameboy Advanced

Sega Genesis
Sega Dreamcast

Recognition Award: Original PlayStation and PlayStation 2... mostly due to SquareSoft and Enix though.

*PC* - where the hell is that???

Also a big LOL at PS3 being in the lead somehow.

Archer81
02-18-2009, 11:37 PM
Its sad now, the only reason I'd get a Wii is for Legend of Zelda, and for whatever reason Microsoft having a video game system just proves they are evil and bent on world domination. IMO.

Kaylore
02-18-2009, 11:43 PM
My favorite games were on SNES and Playstation.

Archer81
02-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Super Nintendo
N64
Gamecube

Gameboy
Gameboy Advanced

Sega Genesis
Sega Dreamcast

Recognition Award: Original PlayStation and PlayStation 2... mostly due to SquareSoft and Enix though.

Other than price, PS3 is the best system out there. They ever lower the cost it will beat the Wii and Xbox. Probably wont happen though until the PS2 is officially shot in the back of the head.

Kaylore
02-18-2009, 11:59 PM
And Sega sucks.

PaintballCLE
02-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Super Nintendo
N64
Gamecube

Gameboy
Gameboy Advanced

Sega Genesis
Sega Dreamcast

PC's are NOT video games..........well they maybe are....but ugh they can't even make my list. It just blows my mind how people are into PC games. You need to invest THOUSANDS to have a top of the line computer and they still aren't even as advanced as their console counterpart.

PaintballCLE
02-19-2009, 12:02 AM
Also now that the 360 is in the lead i ahve lost respect for all of you LOL

Really? 360? a system that breaks down ALL THE TIME? Look at my NES 20 some odd years old and still plays great. You could drop that thing out of an airplane and it would probably still work!

Atlas
02-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Yars Revenge on Atari 2600.... Just didn't get better than that.

CHANGSTER
02-19-2009, 12:22 AM
I just got the red lights of death on my 360. I am not happy

I went with Sega Genesis.

rovolution
02-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Genesis

I loved the Sonic games. 1,2,3, and the sonic and knuckles.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ea/Sega_Genesis-_Sonic_&_Knuckles_locked_on_to_Sonic3_flipped.jpg
Sonic 3 and Knuckles (the lockon of S&K with sonic 3) one of the greatest games ever

GreatBronco16
02-19-2009, 12:44 AM
PC's are NOT video games..........well they maybe are....but ugh they can't even make my list. It just blows my mind how people are into PC games. You need to invest THOUSANDS to have a top of the line computer and they still aren't even as advanced as their console counterpart.

Umm, get yourself a clue before you ramble on.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Genesis was probably my fav. It's funny to see Virtual Boy up there...i bought that for 15 bucks. They had a stack of em at the store they basically couldnt give away.

Doggcow
02-19-2009, 01:41 AM
360. Anyone who argues is wrong.

MechanicalBull
02-19-2009, 05:05 AM
I had/have just about every system except the XBox's and in my opinion there are much more NES games that have replay value over any other system. Maybe it's just me but I still find some NES games very hard(IE the crappy Friday the 13th)
http://www.se51.net/devnull/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/legend_of_zelda_nes_screenshot1.jpghttp://www.consoleclassix.com/info_img/Metroid_NES_ScreenShot1.jpg

TheReverend
02-19-2009, 05:08 AM
A big WTF to Sega CD being missing.

DenverBrit
02-19-2009, 06:35 AM

Sorry, but. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL Hilarious! Hilarious! Hilarious! ;D

orangeatheist
02-19-2009, 07:26 AM

Man, what a blather of idiocy. What decade were you born? Late '90s?

Drek
02-19-2009, 07:47 AM

You could build a system capable of running Crysis on "high" settings a year ago for less than $700.

Crysis can't be ran on ANY home console, only PC. Far Cry 2 is a less graphics and physics intensive version of the CryEngine and it is noticeably weaker on 360 and PS3 to the PC counterpart.

PC gaming is where the best hardware meets the best coding for a technical wonderland. What the elite PC systems have now and allow for programming methodologies the next generation of consoles will copy.

Anyhow, my systems of preference chronologically:
Atari 2600
Commadore 64
NES
SNES
Playstation
Playstation 2
Playstation 3

If you'd asked me a month ago (before buying a PS3) I'd have put Xbox 360 as the last one there. Somewhat unreliable hardware but the new NXE offers excellent media convergence and it has a very solid games library. The PS3 is the cadillac of home consoles though. Ultra sleek design, excellent interface, a plethora of features that are all easily utilized, and Sony's 1st party content is as diverse as it is stellar. The cost is incredibly prohibitive but the experience it offers for the more traditional format of gaming far exceeds anything the industry has ever offered.

PaintballCLE
02-19-2009, 08:42 AM
A big WTF to Sega CD being missing.

sorry man..... i forgot the sega CD and sega 32X I was just looking at the systems in my cabinet when i made that and those must have got pushed in the back because i forgot them.

Dendave
02-19-2009, 10:43 AM
mine still works...

Punisher
02-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Super Famicom,ps1 and oh yea can't go wrong with the xbox 360

Punisher
02-19-2009, 10:52 AM
i love this game for the super famicom

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uPnlYZysY7w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uPnlYZysY7w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

its called undercover cops

Northman
02-19-2009, 10:55 AM
mine still works...

That game is awesome, even today. ^5

B-Love
02-19-2009, 11:16 AM
In 1981 I was the lucky dude who got Intellivision. Atari owned the market but Intellivision's graphics blew Atari away.

There is a very interesting case story on the Internet of the unfortunate fall of Intellivision.

They had that Borgeious english dude, George Plimpton, as it's spokesperson and he gave the system a "step above" conotation from the crude Atari graphics.

Loved Intellivision!! Check out the classic TV spots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q0qJ15rCAg

Beantown Bronco
02-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Unless any of those other systems also became top-tier blu ray players, they're all behind the PS-3 IMO.

B-Love
02-19-2009, 11:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8fC01jtdTY&feature=related

Man You Tube is unreal, they have everything on there. Back in 82, Intellivision started "Play Cable" and my cable company carried it. Instead of buying cartridges, the cable company came to your house and installed a converter box into your Intellivision system.

And on the 1st of every month, 20 new games were downloaded to your box. You were given the Instruction booklets for all 50-60 games in their library in advance, but were pumped up to wake up on the 1st of every month to see what new games were loaded trhough the cable system.

Unfortunately the thing tanked within 2 years. Lots of freeze ups, etc.

jonny1
02-19-2009, 12:28 PM
The thing that put the PS3 over the top for me is the Blu-Ray player function.

vancejohnson82
02-19-2009, 12:40 PM
why is Sega CD not there/?

i remember playing SEWER SHARK???!!?!? i think thats the name

that game was fire

Doggcow
02-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Unless any of those other systems also became top-tier blu ray players, they're all behind the PS-3 IMO.

because you buy a console for ability to play movies. This is the bigoted PS3 elitism that makes them look stupid.

Natedog24
02-19-2009, 01:24 PM
SNES is my favorite, I still play games like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy 3 (aka FF6).

I also voted for the NES out of nostalgia, the xbox 360 because of Xbox Live and my PSP because its modded and I can play a bunch of old nintendo games on it.

HooptyHoops
02-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Its sad now, the only reason I'd get a Wii is for Legend of Zelda, and for whatever reason Microsoft having a video game system just proves they are evil and bent on world domination. IMO.

I have a Wii and the PS3 right now and the Zelda game on the Wii kicks the crap out anything I have for the PS3.

Beantown Bronco
02-19-2009, 01:33 PM
because you buy a console for ability to play movies. This is the bigoted PS3 elitism that makes them look stupid.

Yeah, they looked real stupid when they wiped the floor with HD DVD in record time......to not acknowledge the added bonus of having a top ranked blu ray player as part of the console without having to pay any more $ is stupid.

Doggcow
02-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Yeah, they looked real stupid when they wiped the floor with HD DVD in record time......to not acknowledge the added bonus of having a top ranked blu ray player as part of the console without having to pay any more $ is stupid.

To hang your hat on a blu-ray player with sub par games, multiplayer capabilities, cost, etc. when were arguing VIDEO GAME SYSTEMS, is absolutely asinine.

PS3 isn't for gamers. Mine (along with my brothers) just collect dust when we arnt watching movies.

Jens1893
02-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Based on time spent playing with one console the SNES wipes the floor for me.

I have owned

SNES
PS1
PS2
Modded XBox
360 Elite

The games nowadays are definitely better than back then, but, man, I loved my Super Nintendo. Zelda, Striker, Mario Kart ...

scttgrd
02-19-2009, 02:17 PM

$ony bribed thier way to a win over HD DVD, and they are paying for it out the a**. The are about 6 billion in the hole on the PS3 alone, they still lose money on every console they sell. And they lost the war that they should have been worrying about all along, games. This year consumers will spend more for games than for DVD and Blu-ray combined.

DHallblows
02-19-2009, 02:46 PM
the NES is by far my favorite..........i actually have every game ever made for that with the exception of 3 (bubble bath babes, peek a boo poker, and hot slots) so if any of you have those 3, let me know ASAP lol

Have you beaten Battle Toads? THERE'S a game...

Punisher
02-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Have you beaten Battle Toads? THERE'S a game...

yea Battle Toads is the **** I love when you press Pause and that beat comes up :approve:

gyldenlove
02-19-2009, 03:03 PM
I have owned Commodore 64, Sega Genesis, PS2, Xbox 360 and Atari 2600. I never liked the PS2, if it hadn't been for GT3 I would have never bought it, I hated the controls and it was so mind boggling slow.

Ever since I got hooked on PC I have prefered to play on a beefy PC rather than a gaming system, although I have to admit the 360 is pretty good, but still no match for my new quad core.

broncolife
02-19-2009, 03:24 PM
PS3 isn't for gamers. Mine (along with my brothers) just collect dust when we arnt watching movies.

Thats funny because thats what my xbox360 did when it broke. Played three games and then sat there a year before I got it fixed. And I still havent played all the games I got from 2007 christmas, I got too many damn games from my other system to play now:)But I should play the xbox games first just incase the system breaks again. So I can get it in before the warranty expires. I wish I would have known about the extension of the warranty earlier. They did a very good job of getting the system back to me quickly. When the mailman handed it to me he said xbox360? I cant believe they ripped off so many people. Anyways I have had almost every system and the only system that completly broke on me was the xbox360. Sega cd gave me alot of trouble but I was still able to get it to work every 15 tries.

TheReverend
02-19-2009, 03:52 PM

that game was fire

I beat that! Took forever... one of the shining achievements of my youth along with beating Mega Man 3 on "Hard"

broncolife
02-19-2009, 04:02 PM
My favorites

NES-I was nes fanboy back then, I remember hating sega. But now that I look back I miss alot of games sega offered.Beat around 200 on this system.Use to keep a list but lost it a couple years ago.

Sega-Enjoyed alot of there games.Nes and Sega built the gaming foundation for me eventhough intel,atari and coleco were my first systems. beat around 100 games on this. I did like a few Sega cd games Dark wizard, some Vampire game and Sherlock Holmes.beat 20.

Super Nintendo-I loved this system. I keep buying it and playing old games on it and then sell it until I get the urge for some old Super nes games. I just bought it again before christmas because I had the urge to play uncharted waters and inindo way of the ninja.beat 100

Ps1 and Ps2-I had alot of fun playing these systems. Loved Chrono Cross, Final fantasys, Star Oceans, Suikodens,Romance of the three kingdoms,personas,Rogue Galaxy,Xenogears, Lunar, Kingdom hearts, Shadow hearts,disgaea,and many more I cant think of right now. Stopped counting games I beat here.

Ps3- not many games but I have enjoyed a the few that I have played. They really need get alot more rpgs out. Xbox360 had a chance but it broke on me and many many many many many others so it will take awhile before I trust the system.I only Played the Wii once so I cant really say anything about it.

DHallblows
02-19-2009, 06:26 PM
yea Battle Toads is the **** I love when you press Pause and that beat comes up :approve:

It's my ring tone for texts :sunshine:

Broncobuddy7
02-19-2009, 06:44 PM
I currently have the Will, PS3 and 360.

The PS3's Blu-ray player broke ($150). Apparently a common problem.

The 360's hard-drive broke ($120). Apparently a common problem.

Both out of warranty. If you plan on purchasing either, I highly recommend the extended warranties.

Sorry, just venting!

Archer81
02-19-2009, 06:51 PM
My favorites

NES-I was nes fanboy back then, I remember hating sega. But now that I look back I miss alot of games sega offered.Beat around 200 on this system.Use to keep a list but lost it a couple years ago.

Sega-Enjoyed alot of there games.Nes and Sega built the gaming foundation for me eventhough intel,atari and coleco were my first systems. beat around 100 games on this. I did like a few Sega cd games Dark wizard, some Vampire game and Sherlock Holmes.beat 20.

Super Nintendo-I loved this system. I keep buying it and playing old games on it and then sell it until I get the urge for some old Super nes games. I just bought it again before christmas because I had the urge to play uncharted waters and inindo way of the ninja.beat 100

Ps1 and Ps2-I had alot of fun playing these systems. Loved Chrono Cross, Final fantasys, Star Oceans, Suikodens,Romance of the three kingdoms,personas,Rogue Galaxy,Xenogears, Lunar, Kingdom hearts, Shadow hearts,disgaea,and many more I cant think of right now. Stopped counting games I beat here.

Ps3- not many games but I have enjoyed a the few that I have played. They really need get alot more rpgs out. Xbox360 had a chance but it broke on me and many many many many many others so it will take awhile before I trust the system.I only Played the Wii once so I cant really say anything about it.

Have the PS3 60 GB. Love it. Had it for about 18 months now. Games coming out for it are just amazing, I couldnt picture video games like this 10 years ago. My buddy bought an XBox 360, he likes it, but he is getting a ton of disc read errors on new games. He also has a Wii and a PS3, he likes the PS3 the best but has a solid collection of games.

STBumpkin
02-19-2009, 07:31 PM
I have an Atari 2600, Pong, Colecovision (corniest controller but awesome too), Super Nintendo, PS, PS2, and an XBOX. So far as modern is concerned, XBOX360 has games and control locked up. I still love me some Donkey Kong, MegaMania, Mega Force, Space Invaders, Defender, or Pit Fall on the old B&W TV I saved for the Atari, Pong, and Colecovision.

Archer81
02-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Xbox 360 controller is bulky and way too heavy. You would also think Microsoft would sell controllers that dont require you to buy AA batteries every 4-6 hours.

PaintballCLE
02-19-2009, 07:55 PM

that game was fire

I already aplogized for this.... (see post 26)

PaintballCLE
02-19-2009, 07:57 PM
come on now no vites for the virtual boy? That system was great......I could play it for minutes....get an instant migraine and get to take the day off school LOL

STBumpkin
02-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Xbox 360 controller is bulky and way too heavy. You would also think Microsoft would sell controllers that dont require you to buy AA batteries every 4-6 hours.

Get a charger, and don't play games for longer than a few hours. There is a world out there waiting to be explored in case you didn't know.

Archer81
02-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Get a charger, and don't play games for longer than a few hours. There is a world out there waiting to be explored in case you didn't know.

Got a PS3. Wont buy microsoft. And this world that you speak of...is it...outside my window?

STBumpkin
02-19-2009, 08:00 PM
I am surprised the gameboy didn't get more votes. I spent so many hours on rural bus routes on that thing. Tetris in itself helped me through literally thousands of hours of boredom.

Dagmar
02-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Got a PS3. Wont buy microsoft. And this world that you speak of...is it...outside my window?

It's where all the hot boys are. :wiggle:

Doggcow
02-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Thats funny because thats what my xbox360 did when it broke. Played three games and then sat there a year before I got it fixed. And I still havent played all the games I got from 2007 christmas, I got too many damn games from my other system to play now:)But I should play the xbox games first just incase the system breaks again. So I can get it in before the warranty expires. I wish I would have known about the extension of the warranty earlier. They did a very good job of getting the system back to me quickly. When the mailman handed it to me he said xbox360? I cant believe they ripped off so many people. Anyways I have had almost every system and the only system that completly broke on me was the xbox360. Sega cd gave me alot of trouble but I was still able to get it to work every 15 tries.

Yeah, I and my brother and his friends own a total of 7 Xbox 360's. None of which have broken. I've never had a problem with either of mine.

Microsoft offered to replace all the xboxes that broke due to the overheating problem so if yours was that, you should have hit them up. I'd wager, since you didn't, user error.

Archer81
02-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Yeah, I and my brother and his friends own a total of 7 Xbox 360's. None of which have broken. I've never had a problem with either of mine.

Microsoft offered to replace all the xboxes that broke due to the overheating problem so if yours was that, you should have hit them up. I'd wager, since you didn't, user error.

Microsoft announced they are no longer replacing original release Xbox 360's

Archer81
It's where all the hot boys are. :wiggle:

Hmm...I must explore this world and find these hot boys...:strong:

Doggcow

Theres weights out in the world too. Maybe they'd help you handle all pound and a half of the xbox controller.

STBumpkin
02-19-2009, 08:05 PM

I know it sounds crazy but hear me out, turn the door nob and just pull a little bit...

I have the same problem with both Microsoft and Sony. Both elitist games that you pay more for the name than they're worth. I don't buy game systems in their prime, but after they are sold for $5 on the used rack at Blockbuster/Gamestop/whatever place I get games cheap. Plenty of my friends buy the new versions that I don't need to get the new stuff, plus I kinda have a job that I need to attend to.

Doggcow
02-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Microsoft announced they are no longer replacing original release Xbox 360's

Not anymore, thus user error for purchasing a Gen-1 Xbox 360 this late. Try again.

Archer81
02-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Theres weights out in the world too. Maybe they'd help you handle all pound and a half of the xbox controller.

You would think for the cost of these systems, Microsoft would give you controllers that are more comfortable in the hand and actually can be charged through the system itself.

Archer81
02-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Not anymore, thus user error for purchasing a Gen-1 Xbox 360 this late. Try again.

So for the kid that got an original and had it burn out? His fault Microsoft made a crappy product?

Archer81
02-19-2009, 08:09 PM
I know it sounds crazy but hear me out, turn the door nob and just pull a little bit...

I have the same problem with both Microsoft and Sony. Both elitist games that you pay more for the name than they're worth. I don't buy game systems in their prime, but after they are sold for $5 on the used rack at Blockbuster/Gamestop/whatever place I get games cheap. Plenty of my friends buy the new versions that I don't need to get the new stuff, plus I kinda have a job that I need to attend to.

I tend to wait a few months for games before I get them, unless its something I am looking forward to, like Uncharted 2 or God of War 3 or Resident Evil 5. But I loved getting games for my Atari 2600, could go to a fleamarket and get 10 games for $10. Was sweet.

Doggcow
02-19-2009, 08:17 PM
So for the kid that got an original and had it burn out? His fault Microsoft made a crappy product?

They replaced those systems for quite a while. Most of them are either fine, or already refurbished. If you find one (you'll be getting it off Ebay for cheap for a reason), its your own fault for buying it. You can't blame Ford if you buy a 87 Piece of **** off a Used Car lot for $50 bucks. Cmon man, this is common sense **** here.

I think Bill Gates fondled this guy as a baby or something, he's one of those NURRR H8 MICROSOFT 4 LYFE people.

I used to love Sony until I realized that every RPG was the same, and boring, and all of it's exclusives were crap. Not to mention a worthless online community.

Archer81
02-19-2009, 08:52 PM
They replaced those systems for quite a while. Most of them are either fine, or already refurbished. If you find one (you'll be getting it off Ebay for cheap for a reason), its your own fault for buying it. You can't blame Ford if you buy a 87 Piece of **** off a Used Car lot for $50 bucks. Cmon man, this is common sense **** here.

I think Bill Gates fondled this guy as a baby or something, he's one of those NURRR H8 MICROSOFT 4 LYFE people.

I used to love Sony until I realized that every RPG was the same, and boring, and all of it's exclusives were crap. Not to mention a worthless online community.

Thats cool you like Xbox. Not my thing personally. I was referring to the kid that got the xbox 360 for Christmas and it made it through until now, little rough he has to go out and buy a new one. As far as I know, the RPG genre on PS3 has been oddly empty. Hopefully that changes with FF13. Most people actually prefer "free" online community access, rather than paying $15 on top of whatever you pay for internet a month. Playstation has a nice setup, its more user friendly than it was.

Doggcow
02-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Thats cool you like Xbox. Not my thing personally. I was referring to the kid that got the xbox 360 for Christmas and it made it through until now, little rough he has to go out and buy a new one. As far as I know, the RPG genre on PS3 has been oddly empty. Hopefully that changes with FF13. Most people actually prefer "free" online community access, rather than paying $15 on top of whatever you pay for internet a month. Playstation has a nice setup, its more user friendly than it was.

$50 a year is hardly $15 a month. Definately worth it for a far superior community, I'd much rather pay for a service that is well worth it then be frustrated with a free one.

Much along the lines of why I pay for High Speed Internet. I dont HAVE to have it, but the service is definately worth the money to me.

broncolife
02-19-2009, 09:03 PM

I bought mine over a 1 year after its release. And I dont remember xbox notifying me that they would fix my xbox360 if it overheated. I wonder how many people they ripped off that didnt now about the extended warrenty. The only reason I found out is because I decided to poney up the cash and fix it. So I went to thier site and followed the instruction and to my surprise it was free. I love how you say its user error when it was clearly a manufacturing error.

Archer81
02-19-2009, 09:03 PM
$50 a year is hardly $15 a month. Definately worth it for a far superior community, I'd much rather pay for a service that is well worth it then be frustrated with a free one.

Much along the lines of why I pay for High Speed Internet. I dont HAVE to have it, but the service is definately worth the money to me.

Whatever works. Its actually at the point with either system that you will have a blast with it. No point reliving the SNES v Sega arguments from the 1990s...

broncolife
02-19-2009, 09:24 PM
They replaced those systems for quite a while. Most of them are either fine, or already refurbished. .
Thats what my brother in law said. Then a month later his broke and then his sons broke a couple months after that.:rofl:

If you find one (you'll be getting it off Ebay for cheap for a reason), its your own fault for buying it. You can't blame Ford if you buy a 87 Piece of **** off a Used Car lot for $50 bucks. Cmon man, this is common sense **** here.

Bought mine at a store.

Doggcow
02-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Thats what my brother in law said. Then a month later his broke and then his sons broke a couple months after that.:rofl:

Bought mine at a store.

You managed to find a Gen-1 Xbox 360 at the store in the past year? Thats impressive. No wonder it was "On Sale" :D

broncolife
02-19-2009, 09:37 PM
You managed to find a Gen-1 Xbox 360 at the store in the past year? Thats impressive. No wonder it was "On Sale" :D

Wasnt on sale. cost me like 600 bucks. I think I bought 1 game too. I got it right when ps3 was coming out because they were all sold out and I didnt want to wait longer for a next gen system. Went and bought a screen tv just for the system and I was also able to buy a ps3 off my friend a month later who bought a couple ps3s to resell them. Damn I am still in debt from that year.

broncolife
02-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Whatever works. Its actually at the point with either system that you will have a blast with it. No point reliving the SNES v Sega arguments from the 1990s...

I agree. I like ps3 more just not enough games. Fallout 3 and Valkyrie Chronicles are my two favorites on that system so far. I liked the xbox360 when it worked, it just has taken a back seat to my other games. I got 6 games going right now so when I am done beating those I will start up the xbox360 again.

slyinky
02-20-2009, 01:07 AM
I've never played Wii, but I imagine I would be good at whatever game Alec Baldwin is playing here.

<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/gcNujLr0EWaTTCbO1D2OEQ"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/gcNujLr0EWaTTCbO1D2OEQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Dark Helmet
02-20-2009, 01:36 AM
Xbox and the 360 for sure. I can't tell you how many hours I've played the Halo Series and Gears of War I & II.....xbox live is simply bad ass. I really liked the Ps2 as well and considered buying the ps3 until I noticed the lack of games. My wife bought the wii awhile back. Most of the games are entertaining but I just don't seem to turn it on much. It's a great system to have when you have people over for drinks.

Punisher
02-20-2009, 03:17 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O-Z1mhGoEKU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O-Z1mhGoEKU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MechanicalBull
02-20-2009, 04:54 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fi6YZyF9poE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fi6YZyF9poE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Archer81
02-20-2009, 10:31 AM
I agree. I like ps3 more just not enough games. Fallout 3 and Valkyrie Chronicles are my two favorites on that system so far. I liked the xbox360 when it worked, it just has taken a back seat to my other games. I got 6 games going right now so when I am done beating those I will start up the xbox360 again.

At the moment I am playing Afro Samurai for PS3. Its pretty bad ass, and I am happy I watched the series first though, otherwise I would have no idea whats going on. I need to get my own copy of Fallout 3, this close to beating it. Really looking forward to RE5 next month. My friend has all three major systems, and only plays the Xbox 360 because of NHL 09, otherwise its the PS3.

Doggcow
02-20-2009, 11:10 AM
At the moment I am playing Afro Samurai for PS3. Its pretty bad ass, and I am happy I watched the series first though, otherwise I would have no idea whats going on. I need to get my own copy of Fallout 3, this close to beating it. Really looking forward to RE5 next month. My friend has all three major systems, and only plays the Xbox 360 because of NHL 09, otherwise its the PS3.

Afro Samurai is yet another cross console game.

Archer81
02-20-2009, 04:41 PM

Yup. Were we arguing about cross console games?

Spider
02-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Play station all the way ... though I do like Xbox , not the 360 but the other one

UberBroncoMan
02-20-2009, 07:07 PM

I happen to be in the video game industry, and I can tell you that PC is "video games." It's been in a stall as of late due to publishers haven't been as apt to fund them with "piracy" being frightening and DRM causing people to not buy the products.

Steam has done a great job in changing this trend though... once DRM gets killed off PC sales will be better as well.

Also, a top of the line PC system right now is easily more powerful than a PS3 or Xbox360... easily. What you mentioned though is another reason why publishers are somewhat anti-PC. It does cost quite a chunk of change in order to have a quality system in comparison to the console counterparts.

To say PC isn't video games when they have the BEST RTS games and MMO's on the market is simply silly. Say StarCraft isn't a video game in South Korea and see how long you last.

As for the guy who said PS3 is "easily the best system," that's not really the truth. In the gaming industry, the PS3 is a pain in the ass the develop for in comparison to the other options out there. Also, while the Wii is the most "childish and gimmicky" it's regarded as the best system in terms of what it allows for gameplay innovation. Personally I'd say the PS3 has the least bang for the buck out of the 3 major competing consoles. All systems have great games though, and it would be complete ignorance to say otherwise. On a side note PS3 has a hold of the early 20's age bracket, while the 360 has the high school-early college bracket and the Wii has everything younger up to high school as well as control of female gamers aged 30+.

We need to have a what's the best game ever thread... where everyone says their favorite game in bold and in a month we tally up the total.

broncolife
02-20-2009, 08:28 PM
We need to have a what's the best game ever thread... where everyone says their favorite game in bold and in a month we tally up the total.

:) I was thinking the same thing last night. I was going to make a thread to name your top 10 games. One would be to hard for me.

Spider
02-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Need for speed most wanted PS2 .......... I love that game ;D

Punisher
02-20-2009, 09:46 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ZzMrmb0RqA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ZzMrmb0RqA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Punisher for sega please enjoy :)

PaintballCLE
02-20-2009, 11:26 PM
Need for speed most wanted PS2 .......... I love that game ;D

damn i would have bet it would have been "big motha truckers"

UberBroncoMan
02-21-2009, 12:06 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ZzMrmb0RqA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ZzMrmb0RqA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Punisher for sega please enjoy :)

I like how they spelled "evil" evel in the credits.

Drek
02-21-2009, 06:13 AM

You know, arguing exclusives is just about the last path someone trumpeting the 360 should head down. Sony's 1st party studios are leagues ahead of Microsoft's and rival Nintendo's pretty strongly.

The Xbox fan championing of Halo is all well and good, but Sony's 1st party content reaches across every genre and ranges from "genre defining great" to "well above average".

The only legitimate knocks on the PS3 at this point are price and poor online integration. There are more than enough outstanding games for the system and its secondary features are pretty tough to beat in terms of total value.

listopencil
02-21-2009, 11:46 AM
http://www.zsnes.com/

SureShot
02-21-2009, 11:53 AM
This was my game on Atari.

http://blogtown.portlandmercury.com/files/2007/05/river.jpg

Bronx33
02-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Nes and sony ( and heres why )

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ILy6T5tgnao&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ILy6T5tgnao&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a3PaLzvy_IA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a3PaLzvy_IA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bK5uysPMKUM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bK5uysPMKUM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cmqJGr9BVj4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cmqJGr9BVj4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Bronco Yoda
02-21-2009, 12:13 PM
EA is the Devil!

UberBroncoMan
02-21-2009, 12:20 PM
How the hell does SNES only have 19 :'(

Bronx33
02-21-2009, 12:24 PM
How the hell does SNES only have 19 :'(

I missed that one opps but SNES is one of my favorites as well.

extralife
02-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Where the hell is the Dreamcast option

edit: nevermind!

Bronco Yoda
02-22-2009, 12:28 PM
I happen to be in the video game industry, and I can tell you that PC is "video games." It's been in a stall as of late due to publishers haven't been as apt to fund them with "piracy" being frightening and DRM causing people to not buy the products.

Steam has done a great job in changing this trend though... once DRM gets killed off PC sales will be better as well.

Also, a top of the line PC system right now is easily more powerful than a PS3 or Xbox360... easily. What you mentioned though is another reason why publishers are somewhat anti-PC. It does cost quite a chunk of change in order to have a quality system in comparison to the console counterparts.

To say PC isn't video games when they have the BEST RTS games and MMO's on the market is simply silly. Say StarCraft isn't a video game in South Korea and see how long you last.

As for the guy who said PS3 is "easily the best system," that's not really the truth. In the gaming industry, the PS3 is a pain in the ass the develop for in comparison to the other options out there. Also, while the Wii is the most "childish and gimmicky" it's regarded as the best system in terms of what it allows for gameplay innovation. Personally I'd say the PS3 has the least bang for the buck out of the 3 major competing consoles. All systems have great games though, and it would be complete ignorance to say otherwise. On a side note PS3 has a hold of the early 20's age bracket, while the 360 has the high school-early college bracket and the Wii has everything younger up to high school as well as control of female gamers aged 30+.

What...no Amstrad CPC on the list... :giggle:

DRM is a big waste and mistake IMO. Could be worse though... we could reintroduce the Lenslok. Yikes

It's all Cyclical. For many years the PC was the cheapest and least risky for Publishers. Great for Developers too because of less restrictions. Of course everyone abused this and every coder and graphics guy fled the inhouse studios to start their own operation only to race each other back to the publishers and flood the market with poor half baked trash that needed countless dowloaded updates before the product even shipped.

Then the publishers imploded and massive re consolidation happend....

EA assimilated all and killed most competition and innovation.

Balance has yet to be restored to the gaming universe....

Rock Chalk
02-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Xbox 360 FTW!!! HD Video games, engaging stories in those games, kick ass characters, best online gaming available. Yeah, it doenst have BluRay and you cant help scientists out by allowing them to use your CPU and let you pay the electric bill to run it, but as a gaming machine the 360 pwns all.

I got the Wii for my wife and daughter but I will be honest with you, except for some sports games, and racing games, it sucks as a gaming platform. First person shooters are horrendous on it (not graphics, gameplay), any game that deals with flying sucks ass, football is almost impossible. Bowling and Golf are where its at on the Wii though, you really cant beat it there but the motion sensing thing does not let itself well to all game types, specifically the most popular game genres.

Rock Chalk
02-22-2009, 05:14 PM
The top of the line PC systems do kick ass for gaming and that is really the only place to play an RTS (though Halo Wars for the 360 is really intuitive for a console RTS. I got the demo and its extremely easy to play, still PCs will probably always dominate teh RTS genre).

Unfortunately they are worth a small fortune. Minimum 3K for a mid-level gaming machine and that doesnt even play Crysis at full settings :).

scttgrd
02-22-2009, 05:33 PM
I find it funny that the PS3 is in the dogouse and the 360 is bringing up second place. Yet here it's all messed up. The Wii is outselling everything else combined yet the fanboys come calling for the flavor of the week. The Nintendo has the console wars won in a boat-race, get used to it.

MrPeepers
02-22-2009, 08:40 PM
PC, regardless of price, greater utility.

Rock Chalk
02-22-2009, 08:58 PM
I find it funny that the PS3 is in the dogouse and the 360 is bringing up second place. Yet here it's all messed up. The Wii is outselling everything else combined yet the fanboys come calling for the flavor of the week. The Nintendo has the console wars won in a boat-race, get used to it.

No doubt.

The reason why its not winning here is because the people here are by and large gamers.

Gamers dont like the Wii. The Wii hit an entirely different audience, an audience that never played video games and it is hugely successful as that is a much much larger audience. But since the demographic of this site is primarily 18-35 year old males, that makes the "gamer" platforms of PS3 and 360 the far more popular consoles.

Its not about fanboys moron, its about demographics. You go to a retirement home and ask what their favorite system is and its a Wii and there is nothing close. Ask the generation of people who didnt grow up with gaming consoles and its the Wii and its not even close. Ask gamers whats the console of choice and its likely the XBox 360 since its murdering the PS3 in "gamer" sales.

scttgrd
02-22-2009, 09:08 PM
I agree, but I think if the 360 was doing half the numbers the Wii was the fanboys would be rubbing it in everyones face. As for the PS3, it's sad if it weren't so funny. I can only hope $ony just goes away.

Archer81
02-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Sony needs to end the PS2 and focus on the PS3, this happens, they can drop the cost and it will outsell Microsoft and Nintendo, until then, they will stay in third.

Rock Chalk
02-22-2009, 09:16 PM
I agree, but I think if the 360 was doing half the numbers the Wii was the fanboys would be rubbing it in everyones face. As for the PS3, it's sad if it weren't so funny. I can only hope $ony just goes away.

Hogwash, I hate $ony as much as the next guy but I hope they can stick around. The Cell processor is a fantastic piece of hardware and has a future in all sorts of industries. They brought that to the table. The Wii brought a fantastic, innovative way to interact with Video games (even if it doesnt suit many games well, that could just be the programmers dont know how to utilize it yet), and the XBox took online console gaming to a whole new level previously unattainable even on teh PC. With PCs, you get horrendous cheating in online gaming to the point where its just not fun.

Despite the sales of teh consoles and who really won, its unimportant in teh grand scheme of things. Sony might end up being a loser from the platform but they still won with the Blu Ray. Wii will sell the most consoles but MS is going to make more money in game sales as their attachment rate is through the roof and they make a ton of the downloadable content. All have won something and all will be back which is just great for everyone because all have something to offer the gaming community and each pushes the other.

Bronco Yoda
02-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Sony needs to refocus on machines that are backward completable again. Foolish to exclude that giant library while still moving forward.

Drek
02-22-2009, 09:19 PM

How is it sad or funny?

Sony achieved exactly what they set out to achieve, using the PS3 as a Trojan horse to make Blu-Ray the defecto next disc standard in as little time as possible.

The PS3 is by far and away the #1 reason Blu-Ray won from a marketing standpoint (though its superior tech so it should have). In the process a good portion of Sony's partners from the DVD forum are now on the outside looking in at Blu-Ray licensing royalties.

Its entirely possible that Blu-Ray will be the last disc based commercial media because streaming and direct delivery content will be standard within 10 years. Having the final format for optical media will make Sony more money over the next 30 years than five generations of video game industry supremacy.

What SHOULD scare people is that the market is now incredibly fractured. While the Wii has sold very well at retail its tie ratio is pretty mediocre and it continues to struggle for traditional 3rd party support. Instead many developers chose the three pronged approach of 360/PS3/PC to reach sales goals. I don't think thats particularly healthy for the industry, but thats the backlash you get when the industry wants to move one way and the sales charts move another. Its an artistic field and so the content creators don't want to subvert their vision simply for what might sell better.

This tricky sales market has caused a lot of developers to flounder and is leading to more and more industry consolidation. Pretty soon it'll be similar to the movie industry with a half dozen or less power players, a second tier of a dozen at most middling publishers, and other than that an indy scene that relies on digital distribution. Might be good, might be bad, but it'll engender a lot of significant change in the industry over the next 5 to 10 years.

Rock Chalk
02-22-2009, 09:28 PM
How is it sad or funny?

Sony achieved exactly what they set out to achieve, using the PS3 as a Trojan horse to make Blu-Ray the defecto next disc standard in as little time as possible.

The PS3 is by far and away the #1 reason Blu-Ray won from a marketing standpoint (though its superior tech so it should have). In the process a good portion of Sony's partners from the DVD forum are now on the outside looking in at Blu-Ray licensing royalties.

Its entirely possible that Blu-Ray will be the last disc based commercial media because streaming and direct delivery content will be standard within 10 years. Having the final format for optical media will make Sony more money over the next 30 years than five generations of video game industry supremacy.

What SHOULD scare people is that the market is now incredibly fractured. While the Wii has sold very well at retail its tie ratio is pretty mediocre and it continues to struggle for traditional 3rd party support. Instead many developers chose the three pronged approach of 360/PS3/PC to reach sales goals. I don't think thats particularly healthy for the industry, but thats the backlash you get when the industry wants to move one way and the sales charts move another. Its an artistic field and so the content creators don't want to subvert their vision simply for what might sell better.

This tricky sales market has caused a lot of developers to flounder and is leading to more and more industry consolidation. Pretty soon it'll be similar to the movie industry with a half dozen or less power players, a second tier of a dozen at most middling publishers, and other than that an indy scene that relies on digital distribution. Might be good, might be bad, but it'll engender a lot of significant change in the industry over the next 5 to 10 years.

Thats a good take Drek but I think you overstate the issue.

Look, half a dozen major developers each with two dozen or so "teams" producing games gives me all the quality games I need a year. The middle of the road developers have historically provided some absolutely fantastic gaming titles through the years nad there is no reason to see that change and the Indy developer's still have XBox live Arcade to develop for (among other platforms, but this is an example that I can use to illustrate my point) where they can make a quality, that isnt overly expensive to produce and sell quite a bit by reaching a large audience built in and very little advertising.

I mean, when you think of the big boys now there is Ubissoft, EA, Square Enix, Blizzard....who else? Activision still around? Then you got a slew of middle pack companies that dont produce a lot of titles but have produced great titles. And the Indies, well they have been getting squeezed out every passing year because gamers want more than Indies can offer for the most part. A "full feature" game now requires professional actors and musicians and artists. Its the state of the industry because its what gamers want.

PC gaming is great but its a sad state for the developers. Almost impossible to make a profit anymore with the rampant piracy going on.

Drek
02-23-2009, 05:03 AM
Thats a good take Drek but I think you overstate the issue.

Look, half a dozen major developers each with two dozen or so "teams" producing games gives me all the quality games I need a year. The middle of the road developers have historically provided some absolutely fantastic gaming titles through the years nad there is no reason to see that change and the Indy developer's still have XBox live Arcade to develop for (among other platforms, but this is an example that I can use to illustrate my point) where they can make a quality, that isnt overly expensive to produce and sell quite a bit by reaching a large audience built in and very little advertising.

I mean, when you think of the big boys now there is Ubissoft, EA, Square Enix, Blizzard....who else? Activision still around? Then you got a slew of middle pack companies that dont produce a lot of titles but have produced great titles. And the Indies, well they have been getting squeezed out every passing year because gamers want more than Indies can offer for the most part. A "full feature" game now requires professional actors and musicians and artists. Its the state of the industry because its what gamers want.

PC gaming is great but its a sad state for the developers. Almost impossible to make a profit anymore with the rampant piracy going on.

Blizzard is just a developer, and up until a few months ago was a subsidiary of Vivendi, now Vivendi and Activision merged to form "Activision Blizzard".

That merger was a perfect example of how the consolidation of the industry is problematic. The Ghostbusters game that had been in development for over a year and which was looking very promising got dropped by Activision, as did Brutal Legend, Chronicles of Riddick: Return to Dark Athena, and several other solid titles. All three development teams have been pretty open about why they were cut by ActiBlizz (which sees no one from Blizzard in an upper management role FYI), it was because they weren't franchiseable. I.e. they couldn't be milked for annual or near annual releases a la Guitar Hero and WoW.

The games have since found other publishers, but thats largely because they're all nearly finished products with united teams who didn't fall apart when they hit a tough patch in the road. A lot of games don't make it through that kind of mine field.

Speaking of Brutal Legend though, this is the second time A Tim Schaffer game has been forced to go seeking out an alternative publisher. Psychonauts was dropped by MS and wound up being published by Majesco, a company that might not even exist in a few years. The fact that a brilliant designer like Schaffer can't reliably keep a publisher just because his games don't sell massive quantities (but still turn profit) is a bad sign for the industry's long term future.

I'm not saying consolidation will result in the industry failing to produce anything worthwhile, but it will change the kind of content we'll have available to us. When the movie industry consolidated it took time before indy projects and more artistic films were given the kind of regard that they truly deserved. I just hope the games industry doesn't take so long to wake up to all the different sources of creative game design out there. XBLA, PSN, and WiiWare are great for smaller indy/artsy titles but games like MadWorld, Shadow of the Colossus, Brutal Legend, Beyond Good and Evil (and its upcoming sequel) don't fit the mold most publishers try to fit new releases in and if we see those kinds of games blocked, even for a single generation, its a loss for the industry.

A quick update on who's buying who though:
EA has had a long standing pile of cash on hand for some supposed big buyouts, even post-purchase of Bioware and Pandemic. They've made some pretty blunt overtures towards buying both UbiSoft and Take 2.

Square Enix recently put in a public offer to buy Eidos, the largest offer on the table for the struggling publisher and if nothing better shows up the board will probably take it (in my opinion).

Free Radical (former Rare developers behind Golden Eye and Perfect Dark on N64, have since made Time Splitters 1-3 and Haze) have recently been acquired by Crytek (creators of the CryEngine, Far Cry, and Crysis).

Brutal Legend has been picked up by "EA Partners", a distribution arm of EA composed of multiple cooperating entities.

Chronicles of Riddick has been picked up by Atari. On the subject of Atari, former Sony Computer Entertainment Europe and Sony Game Studios Worldwide head Phil Harrison stepped away from Sony roughly a year ago now to become the head of Atari, and since then the company has been making good progress towards respectability.

Despite Dead Space not having the huge commercial success EA had hoped for it was still a solid title, and the end result has seen the lead designer Glen Schoefield has since been promoted to GM of EA Redwood studios. The developer is now partnering with Eurocom to produce a Dead Space title for the Wii which will be a prequel storyline with on-rails shooter gameplay a la House of the Dead: Overkill.

DHallblows
02-23-2009, 11:33 AM
I don't even see the point of Blu-ray. If I wanna watch a HD movie I'll record it from one of my HD movie channels...for free

Beantown Bronco
02-23-2009, 11:35 AM
I don't even see the point of Blu-ray. If I wanna watch a HD movie I'll record it from one of my HD movie channels...for free

The quality of HD on television varies from station to station....with even the best feeds not equaling the 1080p of blu ray.

And the HUGE audio difference is often overlooked. You can't get lossless surround sound audio tracks through tv feeds. Blu ray? Most definitely.