PDA

View Full Version : Broncos on Peppers 4 team wish list, Suggs off the market

eddie mac
02-18-2009, 03:59 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Free agent Julius Peppers reportedly will refuse to sign a long-term contract with any club not on his four-team wish list "under any circumstance."

Adam Schefter notes that Peppers already turned down a deal from Carolina that would've trumped Jared Allen's, so he's not playing games. The Broncos, Packers, Chiefs, and Dolphins are positioned the best to get him.

Ravens assigned the non-exclusive franchise tag to DE/OLB Terrell Suggs.

Suggs, tagged over fellow FAs Ray Lewis, Jason Brown, and Bart Scott, is the best choice because he's the youngest (26) and plays the most valuable position. Suggs also showed remarkable toughness in the playoffs, playing through ligament damage in his shoulder and sacking Ben Roethlisberger twice. Owner Steve Bisciotti will likely make keeping Lewis his next priority.

Patriots signed OLB Tully Banta-Cain.

Recently released players like Banta-Cain and Fred Taylor are already free to sign where they choose. Banta-Cain, drafted by the Pats in 2003, is not the solution for New England's OLB problems. He'll compete for snaps on passing downs and play special teams, but a roster spot isn't guaranteed.

Inkana7
02-18-2009, 04:00 PM
This contradicts an early report saying that the Cowboys and two other NFC teams were on the list. I assumed we were the only AFC team.

Br0nc0Buster
02-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Peppers would be interesting, but I am always nervous to hand out money like that to a guy playing a new position

He has all the tools to succeed at OLB, but it would be risky IMO

cutthemdown
02-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Peppers is young enough, and good enough, to be worth going after. Denver is a pretty cool city to live in and Broncos have cash to spend.

I'd say it looks like we have a shot.

Inkana7
02-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Peppers would be interesting, but I am always nervous to hand out money like that to a guy playing a new position

He'd be a beautiful fit for the likely hybrid Defense we'll be running this season, though. 4-3 DE/3-4 WOLB.

Although he does have the size to play SOLB..

Hmm..

Inkana7
02-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Peppers is young enough, and good enough, to be worth going after. Denver is a pretty cool city to live in and Broncos have cash to spend.

Plus he's buds with Carmelo.

eddie mac
02-18-2009, 04:03 PM
This contradicts an early report saying that the Cowboys and two other NFC teams were on the list. I assumed we were the only AFC team.

From a local news outlet. Schefter stated the teams I listed.

BMarsh615
02-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Are the Panthers going to tag and trade him? I don't want him if he costs us a first round draft pick.

eddie mac
We all know damn well though that the Panthers will throw a spanner in the works by tagging him by tomorrow via some restructured contracts to get the caproom.

Gcver2ver3

yeah but is he worth our 1st round pick AND a mega-million dollar contract?...

Inkana7
From a local news outlet. Schefter stated the teams I listed.

Oh, I trust Schefter over anyone else. Just sayin'.

elsid13
02-18-2009, 04:05 PM
that is a weird list

DomCasual
02-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Plus he's buds with Carmelo.

Not the first time "Carmelo" and "buds" have been used in the same sentence, unfortunately.

RunSilentRunDeep
02-18-2009, 04:06 PM

I'm with you. Just say no to trading a pick for him! The contract will be overpayment enough.

Br0nc0Buster
02-18-2009, 04:07 PM

oh hell no

Houshyamama
02-18-2009, 04:07 PM
He'd be a beautiful fit for the likely hybrid Defense we'll be running this season, though. 4-3 DE/3-4 WOLB.

Although he does have the size to play SOLB..

Hmm..

Exactly, our transition would mirror his own.

Broncos_OTM
02-18-2009, 04:08 PM
Its free agency the pope is comeing to the broncos. Remember just becuase there i;s iinterest doesnt always make it so. if they do get pep. i hope we stay 4-3

eddie mac
02-18-2009, 04:09 PM
that is a weird list

A list of 3-4 teams that have the caproom to afford him most like.

cutthemdown
02-18-2009, 04:12 PM

Hmm is he worth a first round pick? I'd say yes he is that good. If you drafted a 280 pound dend and he was as good as Peppers would you be happy? I'd say for sure you would be. In fact Denver has never drafted a dend I can remember even close to Peppers ability.

Now it's better to not have to give the pick up, but yeah I think he would be worth it, even though it wouldn't be as sweet as getting him for nothing.

As far as the money goes I could care less, its not my money.

baja
02-18-2009, 04:13 PM

I'd say we are going to see a lot of the NE Pats model and that doesn't include a lot of high priced free agent signings.

Br0nc0Buster
02-18-2009, 04:15 PM
I'd say we are going to see a lot of the NE Pats model and that doesn't include a lot of high priced free agent signings.

Well they did sign Adeyalous(?) Thomas, and Peppers would fit a similar role here.

I dont really think we should sign Peppers, but yeah...

Hotrod
02-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Hmm is he worth a first round pick? I'd say yes he is that good. If you drafted a 280 pound dend and he was as good as Peppers would you be happy? I'd say for sure you would be. In fact Denver has never drafted a dend I can remember even close to Peppers ability.

Now it's better to not have to give the pick up, but yeah I think he would be worth it, even though it wouldn't be as sweet as getting him for nothing.

I agree 100%

eddie mac
02-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Good news here IMO

The Browns are not expected to use the franchise tag on SS Sean Jones.

The franchise number for safeties is $6.342M. Jones is coming off an injury-plagued up and down season, but he's easily the best player in Cleveland's awful secondary. If he makes it to the open market, Jones will be one of top three or four safeties available.

brother love
02-18-2009, 04:20 PM
All it says is that these teams are best positioned to get him, not that he has interest to go to any of them.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-18-2009, 04:21 PM
According to ESPN, the cowboys are on the list...so hmmm

BroncoMan4ever
02-18-2009, 04:21 PM
he isn't worth the massive contract he will want, let alone the picks it will require to get him in the first place. SO NO TO PEPPERS!!!

brother love
02-18-2009, 04:24 PM
We may not have to give up picks if they can't sign Jordan Gross by tommorrow!

eddie mac
02-18-2009, 04:25 PM
All it says is that these teams are best positioned to get him, not that he has interest to go to any of them.

They're the only 3-4 teams that could afford him which is what Scheff is getting at.

broncofan2438
02-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Cmon Peppers, I know you would look good in orange and blue

broncosteven
02-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Why would KFC trade away a big time Sack leader only to go after Peppers?

That seems like a move a 2-14 team would make.

UberBroncoMan
02-18-2009, 04:30 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iqabyrnrmyTE0ojKXM9Al72xXbzAD96E7EI00

This is the REAL list... and it's not even helpful.

Basically it's Dallas, 2 other NFC teams or 1 AFC team.

He said just recently that the Broncos were not off his list (he is also friend with Carmelo Anthony)... so I'd highly assume that the 1 AFC team is the Denver Broncos.

rugbythug
02-18-2009, 04:32 PM
I have a Used 2006 First Round Pick. Barely out of the wrapper.

UberBroncoMan
02-18-2009, 04:32 PM

Because then they get compensation...

Tell me this...

Would you trade Champ Bailey for a 2nd and 3rd rounder and then see us sign Nnamdi?

It would be hard to say no to that.

Hotrod
02-18-2009, 04:35 PM

Its posts like this that make me cry a little tear in the memory of the great Carl Peterson. God I'll miss that retard.

DBroncos4life
02-18-2009, 04:35 PM
We may not have to give up picks if they can't sign Jordan Gross by tommorrow!

They will tag Gross before Peppers.

montrose
02-18-2009, 04:36 PM
I have a hard time justifying giving a big money deal to Peppers in hopes he'll work out at a position he's never played before.

Throw in our 1st round pick and there's no way in hell I'd do it.

The Joker
02-18-2009, 04:36 PM
If he's not tagged, I hope we go after him.

From reading montrose's thread about the D, it seems like the WOLB is primarily a pass rusher with less coverage duties than the other LB's. I think Peppers would be fine in coverage if not asked to do too much, he's a smart player and a far better athlete than most 6 ft 7' players are. And what he does give you is a pass-rush threat on every down and the impact player on the front seven which we desperately need.

It seems this is pretty much the position he wants to play and it could re-invigorate him getting to play in space a bit more and not lined up against a tackle every play.

halfcreek
02-18-2009, 04:44 PM
LOL Not the first time "Carmelo" and "buds" have been used in the same sentence, unfortunately.

LOL

broncosteven
02-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Because then they get compensation...

Tell me this...

Would you trade Champ Bailey for a 2nd and 3rd rounder and then see us sign Nnamdi?

It would be hard to say no to that.

Even if you ended up going 2-14? It hasn't worked out for KFC yet, no guarantee they get anyone to replace Allen.

Without Allen they almost set a record for lowest sack total ever.

Sometime the grass is not as green or greener on the other side of the fence.

Jerry Curl
02-18-2009, 04:58 PM
Dream day if we get get Peppers. -drools

SoDak Bronco
02-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Do you guys think Jared Allen was worth what the Vikes gave up last season?? I know quite a few Vike fans that would say YES without a doubt.

Br0nc0Buster
02-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Do you guys think Jared Allen was worth what the Vikes gave up last season?? I know quite a few Vike fans that would say YES without a doubt.

Jared Allen is also younger, didnt change positions, and played on a talented line to best bring out his abilities.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-18-2009, 05:06 PM

Worry about this if/when he's tagged. Until he's tagged, the question is whether or not he's worth the contract.

lookin' glass
02-18-2009, 05:19 PM
From what I've seen Peppers plays hard most of the time and that's one thing I'd take over Haynesworth. Money-wise it's a lot easier call similar to the deal Champ made coming to Denver. Not too many were that upset with Champ's contract because he had always played great and hard.

DBroncos4life
02-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Worry about this if/when he's tagged. Until he's tagged, the question is whether or not he's worth the contract.

Its funny they bitch when we don't go after a big name pass rush, bitch when we do. Get mad when we don't draft a DE get pissed that the one's we do draft bust. People lol.

orange crusher
02-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother love

They're the only 3-4 teams that could afford him which is what Scheff is getting at.

True Eddie, but I think brother love was saying that the title of the thread insinuates that this is Peppers wish list.

brother love
02-18-2009, 06:31 PM
They will tag Gross before Peppers.

that was my point.

socalorado
02-18-2009, 06:35 PM
Good news here IMO

The Browns are not expected to use the franchise tag on SS Sean Jones.

The franchise number for safeties is $6.342M. Jones is coming off an injury-plagued up and down season, but he's easily the best player in Cleveland's awful secondary. If he makes it to the open market, Jones will be one of top three or four safeties available.

This is great news! Any news on Atogwe? It'll cost $6.3 million to franchise him .... nearly half of the Rams available cap room. Plus Bartell is also a UFA so i am hoping they tag Bartell, and DEN can swoop in on Otogwe. But Jones is more than a solid choice. He also is versatile, and can play both safety spots.

socalorado
02-18-2009, 06:36 PM
I have a hard time justifying giving a big money deal to Peppers in hopes he'll work out at a position he's never played before.

Throw in our 1st round pick and there's no way in hell I'd do it.

Yeah, if he goes UFa, and DEN brings him to discuss a contract fine, but this giving up picks is way too much for him. This team has too many holes as it is!

OrangeRising
02-18-2009, 06:38 PM
If the Broncos do go after him aggressively, it would almost have to be a signal that the new coaches have little faith that Jarvis Moss or Tim Crowder will be anything more than depth players. What a waste of time and resources.

TonyR
02-18-2009, 06:40 PM
From what I've seen Peppers plays hard most of the time...

I've actually heard that he has a rep for occasionally taking some plays off and also for quitting when he gets frustrated. There's also the fact that he didn't play well in 2007 and then magically played better in his contract year...

crazyhorse
02-18-2009, 06:44 PM
I dont see where it says he wants to play for any of these teams. Just that these teams are in the best position to get him.

I read earlier that he wanted to play for either Dallas or 2 other NFC teams and 1 AFC team. Three were not named. Said he would only be interested in those 4 teams however.

Given that, this article seems to be wishy washy to spread rumors. That may not be the case. But there's more than just 1 AFC team on this list. None of which is Dallas which is a team he has named as 1 of the 4 he wants to play for.

Gcver2ver3
02-18-2009, 06:49 PM

good points but it's too risky IMO...

if Peppers isn't tagged then i'd like to see us take a shot at him....but if he's tagged then the compensation in addition to big money is too risky for us considering we're no where close to being one player away...

if we were one pass rusher away from being SB contenders then yes...but otherwise no...

Dedhed
02-18-2009, 06:52 PM
According to ESPN, the cowboys are on the list...so hmmm
According to ESPN, Shanahan to the Chiefs was done.

TonyR
02-18-2009, 06:57 PM
According to ESPN...

The story is actually from the Rock Hill Herald.

http://www.heraldonline.com/news/sports/story/1146431.html

Dedhed
02-18-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm interested in building a mentality on the defensive side of the ball, and I'm not sure Peppers fits the image that the new regime is looking for.

Dedhed
02-18-2009, 07:02 PM
The story is actually from the Rock Hill Herald.

http://www.heraldonline.com/news/sports/story/1146431.html

What does that have to do with me saying that it was ESPN who broke the "Shanahan to the Chiefs" story.

KCStud
02-18-2009, 08:03 PM

Carl Peterson traded him away. He's not in KC anymore. Maybe you missed the memo?

Inkana7
02-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Carl Peterson traded him away. He's not in KC anymore. Maybe you missed the memo?

You do know that in at least 31 other NFL teams, the owner has a final say, right?

Or did KC fire their owner too? That's a shame.

elsid13
02-18-2009, 08:07 PM
If Peppers goes to Dallas does that make Spencer available Or Greg Ellis?

Inkana7
02-18-2009, 08:08 PM
I don't see anyway that Peppers gets tagged. He's made it clear as day that he doesn't want to be in Carolina, wants to play in a 3-4 and that if they do tag him, he'll ask to be traded.

Now if you were the Panthers, would you want to keep that or the 26 year old LT who just made the Pro Bowl?

Easy decision if you ask me.

elsid13
02-18-2009, 08:13 PM
I don't see anyway that Peppers gets tagged. He's made it clear as day that he doesn't want to be in Carolina, wants to play in a 3-4 and that if they do tag him, he'll ask to be traded.

Now if you were the Panthers, would you want to keep that or the 26 year old LT who just made the Pro Bowl?

Easy decision if you ask me.

If you feel comfortable that Gross will resign with you (and indications are that he will) why not tag Peppers and trade him. At least you get something for him, if FA you potentially get nothing.

KCStud
02-18-2009, 08:14 PM
You do know that in at least 31 other NFL teams, the owner has a final say, right?

Or did KC fire their owner too? That's a shame.

The owner does have a part of the final say, but it was Carl's decision and he was the reason Allen wanted to leave. Do you not follow the NFL?

Inkana7
02-18-2009, 08:16 PM
The owner does have a part of the final say, but it was Carl's decision and he was the reason Allen wanted to leave. Do you not follow the NFL?

Never watched a game in my life.

Seriously, you are the most insecure person I've ever encountered.

KCStud
02-18-2009, 08:22 PM

Well I suggest you start watching....

Br0nc0Buster
02-18-2009, 08:27 PM

oh no he didnt.....

Inkana7
02-18-2009, 08:29 PM

Oh snap!

peacepipe
02-18-2009, 08:31 PM
yeah but is he worth our 1st round pick AND a mega-million dollar contract?...yes,for the simple reason any player regardless of the hype coming out of a draft is a crap shoot. So you can use a 1st round pick & alot of money on player that may not pan out or a 1st round pick & alot of money on a player that you already know can produce in a position we desperately need.

HEAV
02-18-2009, 08:43 PM
While Peppers would be the big star many are drooling for. I feel that after the past few days of cuts the Broncos need to use the money and picks, that Peppers would cost, on multiple positions along the defense.

Need that first round pick to land a stud backer or domonant NT.

peacepipe
02-18-2009, 08:46 PM
While Peppers would be the big star many are drooling for. I feel that after the past few days of cuts the Broncos need to use the money and picks, that Peppers would cost, on multiple positions along the defense.

Need that first round pick to land a stud backer or domonant NT.My point is based on just using a 1st rd pick. What other picks would we need, that we would use getting Peppers? being 30 mil under the cap gives us the money to get other players.

socalorado
02-18-2009, 08:50 PM

Watch KC games?!?! So thats why your so insecure.

HEAV
02-18-2009, 09:01 PM
My point is based on just using a 1st rd pick. What other picks would we need, that we would use getting Peppers? being 30 mil under the cap gives us the money to get other players.

Well if the Panthers get a deal done with Gross and the put a "non-exclusive" tag on peppers, it would then cost Denver two first rounders.

Now Jared Allen trade set the market last year. Vikes gave up a 1 and two 3's for Allen. The Vikes could afford to make this deal because they already had a decent defense and solid big men inside.

Denver is starting from scratch. Giving up picks this year would not be in the best interest of the future of the team.

Not to mention that while Denver is under the cap, it doesn't mean Bowlen is going to drop coin. Pat's got money owed to Shanny, former staff and players.

Pro sports aren't reccession proof and Bowlen has been pinching pennies the last year.

I just don't see Peppers being the savior to the defense that has so many holes to fill.

Man-Goblin
02-18-2009, 09:12 PM
I'd just assume it not happen.

JCMElway
02-18-2009, 09:45 PM
If the Panthers go non exclusive tag on him, no way we sign him. We will not give up two first rounders when we're in rebuilding mode on the defense.

theAPAOps5
02-18-2009, 10:31 PM

Seriously Kaylore made this guy his bitch a few weeks ago. It was a beat down unlike any other here on the Mane. The guy ran his mouth and within minutes Kaylore proved what a hypocritical hack this guy is. So anytime this joke posts I just chuckle as I know he hasn't a clue about anything related to football let alone the NFL.

So don't waste your time as he is the OMane whipping boy who just can't get his story straight.

ZONA
02-18-2009, 11:04 PM
You guys are absolutely crazy if you think McDaniel's is going to go after Peppers if it does cost us our 1st plus the huge contract. I don't think McDaniel's is going to go down that road. He's a great player but giving up the pick in addition to he's never played in a 3-4 before is the deal breaker. If we can find a great player that is a FA and doesn't have a tag on him, then we can look at them. Otherwise, get those 2nd tier guys in here that are young and raw and can be developed or older vets who are past their max contract years, and then build via the draft. With the amount of defensive players we need right now, I'd rather spread the money around a bit and get quality players abroad rather then one great player and turds everywhere else.

Sorry Peppers, this aint the place for you bro.

thumpc
02-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Its posts like this that make me cry a little tear in the memory of the great Carl Peterson. God I'll miss that retard.

Al will get us through this.

BroncoBuff
02-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Too much money ... he'll get 10+ million per year.

Plus I still kinda like Elvis at the WOLB spot ....

Popps
02-18-2009, 11:14 PM
I love to see Peppers in town. I have some reservations about him from a character standpoint, but he'd immediately be the most talented player in our front seven, and I have no doubt he could be effective in a 3-4.

Free agency is going to be exciting again. With Shanahan gone, there's a legitimate chance we'll make some big moves on defense.

Archer81
02-18-2009, 11:25 PM

A 100 yard INT return in Denver a few seasons ago removes doubts for me about his athleticism being lacking. Dude can play. He wont get DE money at OLB though, but an impact player somewhere in the front 7 is needed.

:Broncos:

chaz
02-18-2009, 11:48 PM
I love to see Peppers in town. I have some reservations about him from a character standpoint, but he'd immediately be the most talented player in our front seven, and I have no doubt he could be effective in a 3-4.

Character? I've never heard this come up with Peppers...what is it?

Kaylore
02-18-2009, 11:58 PM
Free agency is going to be exciting again. With Shanahan gone, there's a legitimate chance we'll make some big moves on defense.

We've made big moves on defense with Shanahan many times before; They just sucked.

BroncoMan4ever
02-19-2009, 12:11 AM

peppers is a lying ass and he will play where ever he is offered the most money.

i don't care if the Cowboys come to him and offer him 70million over the next 6 years, and then the Raiders offer him 80million for the same time, he will go to the Raiders.

he doesn't care where he ends up, basically he is just saying Show Me The Money.

BroncoMan4ever
02-19-2009, 12:14 AM

Shanahan always made big moves, they just always sucked and set us back in the cap situation for a few years

cutthemdown
02-19-2009, 12:23 AM
peppers is a lying ass and he will play where ever he is offered the most money.

i don't care if the Cowboys come to him and offer him 70million over the next 6 years, and then the Raiders offer him 80million for the same time, he will go to the Raiders.

he doesn't care where he ends up, basically he is just saying Show Me The Money.

I'm not sure about that. Supposedly he turned down a really good offer from Panthers because he really doesnt want to play there anymore. They offered supposedly what Allen got in Minny.

BroncoMan4ever
02-19-2009, 01:32 AM
I'm not sure about that. Supposedly he turned down a really good offer from Panthers because he really doesnt want to play there anymore. They offered supposedly what Allen got in Minny.

he doesn't want what Allen got. he wants probably 10-13million more than Allen got. I would bet my left nut that if the Panthers offered him 7 years and 80 million with 45million guaranteed, which is probably right around what he will get, maybe more guaranteed, he would stay there with no problem

denvernut1
02-19-2009, 09:23 AM
WHATS UP FELLOW BRONCO FANS IVE BEEN A FAN FOR YRS N IM FROM JERZEY... I WOULD LIKE THEM TO GET AT LEAST A SS, DT OR DE, LB, CB,:notworthy IN FREE AGENCY AT ALL COST N THE REST OF THE D ON THE DRAFT N PICK UP A DECENT RB IN THE DRAFT. ...WE NEED STARS N LEADERSHIP IN THE D TO HELP CULTER N THE OFFENSE, OUR SCHEDULE IS TUFF WE CANT AFFORD TO GET AVERGE PLAYERS WE NEED SUPERSTARS, SO IF HAVE TOO BREAK THE BANK ALITTE........MY OPION IF WE REALLY WANT TO COMPLETE....:twokisses

BroncoBuff
02-19-2009, 09:34 AM
WHATS UP FELLOW BRONCO FANS IVE BEEN A FAN FOR YRS N IM FROM JERZEY... I WOULD LIKE THEM TO GET AT LEAST A SS, DT OR DE, LB, CB,:notworthy IN FREE AGENCY AT ALL COST N THE REST OF THE D ON THE DRAFT N PICK UP A DECENT RB IN THE DRAFT. ...WE NEED STARS N LEADERSHIP IN THE D TO HELP CULTER N THE OFFENSE, OUR SCHEDULE IS TUFF WE CANT AFFORD TO GET AVERGE PLAYERS WE NEED SUPERSTARS, SO IF HAVE TOO BREAK THE BANK ALITTE........MY OPION IF WE REALLY WANT TO COMPLETE....:twokisses

Welcome! And congrats on an excellent usage of smilies for a newbie ;D

:welcome:

^5

:strong:

:wave:

Archer81
02-19-2009, 09:39 AM

Whoa...

:Broncos:

Beantown Bronco
02-19-2009, 09:46 AM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nfHOQAT0-Mk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nfHOQAT0-Mk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

epicSocialism4tw
02-19-2009, 10:39 AM

Julius Freakin' Peppers would be risky?

Are you serious?

Jarvis Moss is risky. Tim Crowder is riksy. Dewayne Roberston is risky.

But a defensive MVP candidate in his prime?

Its the exact opposite of risky.

NOT RISKY.

alkemical
02-19-2009, 10:41 AM
I guess, in some ways - if peppers is able to play OLB - he'd be even better than adalius thomas.

Inkana7
02-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Peppers made a mistake saying he wanted to play 3-4 OLB. LBs make a lot less than DEs.

TonyR
02-19-2009, 10:47 AM
NOT RISKY.

He's not young at 29. He was very mediocre in 2007. We don't know how well he'll fit into the 3-4. He'll take up a huge chunk of our available cap space and Pat Bowlen's cash. I call that risky, for lack of a better word.

Personally I'd prefer we bring in 3-4 (or more) good defensive FA's and address multiple areas to reduce draft needs. Peppers would be nice but he's not the answer.

Popcorn Sutton
02-19-2009, 11:45 AM
He's tagged.

The Panthers placed the franchise tag on Julius Peppers.
Source: Charlotte Observer (http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2009/02/panthers-tag-peppers.html)

Panthers tag Peppers

The Panthers have formally placed their franchise tag on defensive end Julius Peppers. They're expected to announce a six-year contract later today with left tackle Jordan Gross.

chaz
02-19-2009, 11:51 AM
He's not young at 29. He was very mediocre in 2007. We don't know how well he'll fit into the 3-4. He'll take up a huge chunk of our available cap space and Pat Bowlen's cash. I call that risky, for lack of a better word.

Personally I'd prefer we bring in 3-4 (or more) good defensive FA's and address multiple areas to reduce draft needs. Peppers would be nice but he's not the answer.

6-7 years of a premium defensive player isn't part of the answer!? He has less risk than anyone we'd draft...far less. Who cares about the money, it's not my cash and it isn't yours. I have no problem with superstars taking up cap space, it's dead cap that sucks and kills a team.

yerner
02-19-2009, 11:54 AM
I say if he's tagged then forget it. Unless its for a 5th rounder.

RaiderH8r
02-19-2009, 12:02 PM
The bottom line is our D is blown up and we're well under the cap so any big name free agent is going to be mentioned as a possible target for Denver. We need a fat and nasty NT, a couple of LBs, and safeties. Some of that should come from FA, maybe one big name guy, but I still like looking to build through the draft. It's worked with our O lately and it's the way good clubs build.

As for Peppers, eh, I'm still a big believer in an "up the middle" stragety for defensive strength, tackles, middle backers and safeties. Get strong there and fill in the holes around it. In which case, we need the big nasty up front.

TonyR
02-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Who cares about the money, it's not my cash and it isn't yours.

Maybe you're not aware of A) Pat Bowlen's cash limitations and B) the current state of the economy. Whether or not you or I care about the money isn't the issue. Reality is. We need several players on this defense, we need to resign our class of 2006, and we need to sign our draft picks. These things take not only cap space but CASH.

socalorado
02-19-2009, 02:09 PM
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7752/capslockor6.jpg

socalorado
02-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Maybe you're not aware of A) Pat Bowlen's cash limitations and B) the current state of the economy. Whether or not you or I care about the money isn't the issue. Reality is. We need several players on this defense, we need to resign our class of 2006, and we need to sign our draft picks. These things take not only cap space but CASH.

yeah. forget peppers. he wants billions and CAR will want DENs 1st rounder. No way now.

DEN can still sign some FAs and make some draft moves that will still make the teams defense better than last years.

Drek
02-19-2009, 02:17 PM
6-7 years of a premium defensive player isn't part of the answer!? He has less risk than anyone we'd draft...far less. Who cares about the money, it's not my cash and it isn't yours. I have no problem with superstars taking up cap space, it's dead cap that sucks and kills a team.
In what fantasy world does Julius Peppers, a guy already known for having an inconsistent motor now in his prime, plays 6-7 years at a premium level?

At even an average level?

Peppers is just about the second biggest risk in a while (behind Haynesworth) to basically shut it down once you pay him and give minimal effort. Then where are we at?

I'd be interested in Peppers if the Panthers would take something like Dumervil, a 3rd, and an '09 conditional for him. But if they want any sort of first or even a pair of seconds? Screw that. He's not a lock to be a good 3-4 OLB and he isn't a sure thing to not just pack it in and coast once he gets paid.

TonyR
02-19-2009, 03:33 PM
In what fantasy world does Julius Peppers, a guy already known for having an inconsistent motor now in his prime, plays 6-7 years at a premium level?

Exactly. People should go look at what he did in 2007 compared to this contract year.

Rock Chalk
02-19-2009, 05:14 PM

Peppers is just about the second biggest risk in a while (behind Haynesworth) to basically shut it down once you pay him and give minimal effort. Then where are we at?

I'd be interested in Peppers if the Panthers would take something like Dumervil, a 3rd, and an '09 conditional for him. But if they want any sort of first or even a pair of seconds? Screw that. He's not a lock to be a good 3-4 OLB and he isn't a sure thing to not just pack it in and coast once he gets paid.

Thats a great point Drek.

To counter it I would say an average Julius Peppers giving a half assed attempt on every play is 10x better than what we have now.

Bob
02-19-2009, 05:48 PM

Why would he have to play OLB -- he is over 280?

Inkana7
02-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Why would he have to play OLB -- he is over 280?

He's stated that he wants to play 3-4 OLB and would be a waste of both talent and money at DE in a 3-4. Obviously if we play a 4-3 he'd play DE.

BroncoBuff
02-19-2009, 07:11 PM

Peppers is just about the second biggest risk in a while (behind Haynesworth) to basically shut it down once you pay him and give minimal effort.
Not only that, but no matter what a freak athlete he is ... he has never played WOLB in a 3-4. That's not a guy I want to be the highest paid player on the team.

Let's give Dumervil and Jarvis a shot at the position ... or draft Orakpo at #12. We've been burned often enough in free agency, let's not throw $15 million a year at this guy.

TonyR
02-19-2009, 08:22 PM
... or draft Orakpo at #12.

Not that they're necessarily worth a shiz but every mock draft I've seen has him going before 12.

TheChamp24
02-19-2009, 09:08 PM
If we select Orakpo at 12, I'll be pissed, he won't be that good for us.
We should trade DJ and a 09 conditional for Peppers, apparently DJ has a lot of value right now.