PDA

View Full Version : Haynesworth on the market

DomCasual
02-18-2009, 01:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3916393

Titans tackle to test free agency

After lengthy negotiations with the Tennessee Titans, defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth instead will first test the free-agent market before deciding whether to re-sign with the only NFL team he's played for.

The NFL Network on Wednesday first reported the story, which was later confirmed by ESPN.

The 27-year-old Haynesworth is expected to draw great interest in free agency. The 6-foot-6, 320-pound Haynesworth has 91 tackles and 14.5 sacks in the past two years. In seven seasons as a pro, he has 271 career tackles -- 199 of them solo -- and 24 sacks.

If Haynesworth does return to Tennessee, it won't be before free agency begins Feb. 27.

broncofan2438
02-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Broncos need to pick him up

BroncoMan4ever
02-18-2009, 01:27 PM
just say no, he won't play the NT in the 3-4 for us.

RaiderH8r
02-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Do Not Want.

What's about Wilfork?

Drek
02-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Do Not Want.

What's about Wilfork?

Not a free agent until next year.

HILife
02-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Don't sign. Cost a lot and would be a waste of talent having him play NT when he can do so much more. If this team stayed in the 4-3 then I would say yes sign him.

Kaylore
02-18-2009, 01:49 PM
He's a me-first guy and doesn't fit a 3-4.

Domostick
02-18-2009, 01:51 PM
get him to play dt in our 4-3. Upgrade de in the draft and get another olb and mlb prospect.

SouthStndJunkie
02-18-2009, 01:52 PM
With the money he will command, it is just too much of a risk....I have always been worried how Haynesworth will play once he is not chasing the carrot (the mega deal).

He is absolutely dominating when motivated....but once he gets paid, he may start to coast.

Plus, as mentioned, he is more suited for the 4-3 defense.

Peoples Champ
02-18-2009, 01:53 PM
I dont know, I know he is good, but he wants top dollar. ANd once he gets it, I dont think he will play as good. Also he has attitude problems and kicked that dude in the throat.

Beantown Bronco
02-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Wait!? He's gonna test free agency?!

The Titans will pony up. He's not going anywhere.

I think the Titans will get Albert's contract settled pretty quick, before the market really heats up.

he will be a titan in 2009

This guy will never hit the open market get over it.

Popcorn Sutton
02-18-2009, 01:59 PM
It's going to be a bid-war... I'd love to have him even in a 3-4. He could be alot like Shaun Rogers is to the Browns. However, the price tag is going to be HUGE!!! Too risky for a team that needs to completely rebuild a defense and the character concerns make it even more difficult.

tsiguy96
02-18-2009, 02:00 PM
With the money he will command, it is just too much of a risk....I have always been worried how Haynesworth will play once he is not chasing the carrot (the mega deal).

thats exactly why i wouldnt sign him, hes gonna get soooo much money, easily the highest paid defensive player in the league, its just not worth the risk.

RMT
02-18-2009, 02:03 PM
look back at his previous contract situations - he ALWAYS performs his best the year before his contract is up ... the other years he is average or injured.

no thanks.

crowebomber
02-18-2009, 02:03 PM
No thanks. Someone will pay a lot more than they should for him.

Hotrod
02-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Offer him the vet minimum and a lifetime free pass to Casa Bonita.

That One Guy
02-18-2009, 02:10 PM
If I recall correctly, word was spreading that he was on the verge of getting released after the thing with Gurode and then two or three years later, he's the greatest thing ever. You never know if that's true adjustment to the pro game or just motivation finally kicking in... Scary, scary scenario for someone.

crowebomber
02-18-2009, 02:11 PM

He'd get stuck in that cave.

SouthStndJunkie
02-18-2009, 02:12 PM

He might stomp a cliff diver's head if he splashes water on his sopapillas.

UberBroncoMan
02-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Not interested in a guy who averages 12 games starting a year, will cost a fortune, has a history of me first/bad attitude, wouldn't have the selflessness or discipline to be a NT.

He's not happening in Denver.

Inkana7
02-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Pass. He wants to be the highest paid defender in NFL history. Seriously. That and his hamstring is made of glass and he once spiked a cowboy in the head.

cmhargrove
02-18-2009, 02:37 PM
It's going to be a bid-war... I'd love to have him even in a 3-4. He could be alot like Shaun Rogers is to the Browns. However, the price tag is going to be HUGE!!! Too risky for a team that needs to completely rebuild a defense and the character concerns make it even more difficult.

Denver's Total defense ranking for 2008 - 29th.
Cleveland Browns (with Shaun Rogers and Corey Williams) - 26th.

Believe it or not, we ranked one spot higher than them against the run.
I would rather get no names that fit our scheme (Miami) than big names looking for a payout.

Say no to big Al.

BroncoMan4ever
02-18-2009, 02:41 PM

he'd probably sign it and then gain 200lbs and eat his way out of the league

WyoLaw
02-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Pass. He wants to be the highest paid defender in NFL history. Seriously. That and his hamstring is made of glass and he once spiked a cowboy in the head.

Isn't that a positive? HA!

Popcorn Sutton
02-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Denver's Total defense ranking for 2008 - 29th.
Cleveland Browns (with Shaun Rogers and Corey Williams) - 26th.

Believe it or not, we ranked one spot higher than them against the run.
I would rather get no names that fit our scheme (Miami) than big names looking for a payout.

Say no to big Al.

The Browns still need a lot of linebacker help but Shaun Rogers was incredibly disruptive and made the Pro Bowl. I wish we had him.

cmhargrove
02-18-2009, 03:09 PM
The Browns still need a lot of linebacker help but Shaun Rogers was incredibly disruptive and made the Pro Bowl. I wish we had him.

I'm not going to argue this one too much, but their defense still sucked. I mean sixth worst in the league. They overpaid for Rogers this year, but it was a gamble worth taking.

It's a lesson for us to learn.

Popcorn Sutton
02-18-2009, 03:15 PM
I'm not going to argue this one too much, but their defense still sucked. I mean sixth worst in the league. They overpaid for Rogers this year, but it was a gamble worth taking.

It's a lesson for us to learn.

Wow, I thought they got him at a pretty good price given what they are talking for Haynesworth. (~12 million per year)

I'm not sure there is any one player that can control how well the entire defense performs so I don't understand what you are trying to say. Do you base how good Champ Bailey is on how well the collective Broncos defense performed?

The fact is: Rogers was a beast last year and was well worth what they paid him... He would have been the best player on the Broncos defense by a long shot last year and would have been the third or forth highest paid.

cmhargrove
02-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Wow, I thought they got him at a pretty good price given what they are talking for Haynesworth. (~12 million per year)

I'm not sure there is any one player that can control how well the entire defense performs so I don't understand what you are trying to say. Do you base how good Champ Bailey is on how well the collective Broncos defense performed?

The fact is: Rogers was a beast last year and was well worth what they paid him... He would have been the best player on the Broncos defense by a long shot last year and would have been the third or forth highest paid.

I hate to be realistic here, because a lot of what you pay for is potential. So don't get me wrong, i'm a huge Bailey fan, but Champ was absolutely not worth what he was paid last year. Mainly because of his injury, secondarily because we didn't field a good front seven to compliment his skills, and third because our defensive scheme sucked.

If I was the guy that wrote the check (Bowlen) I would be pissed. It was wasted money, but sports are generally a risky endeavor.

It's also a year of a HOF career gone to waste on a piss-poor defensive unit. That's a shame in itself.

I'm not arguing with you about paying for top notch talent. It's just that afterwards, you need to examine whether it was worth the investment, or you will sink an organization. That's probably why things have changed so drastically at Dove Valley this year.

Broncojef
02-18-2009, 04:15 PM
I don't see how we could justify paying top dollar for a defensive center piece that doesn't fit what we need in the middle. If we are going to the 3-4 this year pass on Haynesworth without thinking twice.

loborugger
02-18-2009, 06:18 PM
NO.

Stop drinking the kool aid.

SoCalBronco
02-18-2009, 10:43 PM
IHOP Part Deux.

ZONA
02-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Again, I agree with most. Forget Haynesworth, forget Peppers. Forget all the high priced guys this year. Let's lock up Cutler, Schef, Bmarsh. Heck, I'd even go to the agents for Hillis, Royal and Clady and see if they want to extend now to save us even more money in 2 years. Sign a bunch of 2nd tier talent that are young raw guys who can be developed along with some vets who are past their max contract days and build via the draft.

That's the plan, right there.