PDA

View Full Version : Sirius: Broncos likely to have interest in Chris McAlister, other FA's mentioned

montrose
02-18-2009, 09:01 AM
Sirius NFL Radio reported that with the release of Dre' Bly, the Broncos are expected to have interest in former Ravens CB Chris McAlister. McAlister had some of his best seasons under former Ravens DC and new Broncos DC Mike Nolan. Nolan likes bigger, physical CB's such as McAlister, Walt Harris and Nate Clements and McAlister would be a better fit for that scheme than Bly. Considering his age and medical history, it's also possible McAlister could come at a price tag comfortable to the team.

However, Sirius also reported don't be surprised if the Broncos also have interest in Rams CB Ronald Bartell Jr. who fits that mold as well. In addition, they mentioned the names of Patriots S James Sanders, DE Mike Wright and DE Kenny Smith; Bears S Mike Brown; Buccaneers S Jermaine Phillips; Jets DE C.J. Mosley; Falcons NT Grady Jackson; and Cardinals NT Gabe Watson as guys the Broncos may have interest in.

TheReverend
02-18-2009, 09:04 AM
Love Mike Brown and Jermaine Phillips, but no Atogwe mention? He's getting mildly overrated, but still the best of the S crop.

vancejohnson82
02-18-2009, 09:05 AM
why McAllister???

that's such a lateral move

SoDak Bronco
02-18-2009, 09:07 AM
No Big name guys there...What about Bart Scott? And Shane Lechler, I wouldn't be surprised if we go after him, he would be a major upgrade on ST's.

brother love
02-18-2009, 09:07 AM
McAlister can tackle

HILife
02-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Sirius NFL Radio reported that with the release of Dre' Bly, the Broncos are expected to have interest in former Ravens CB Chris McAlister. McAlister had some of his best seasons under former Ravens DC and new Broncos DC Mike Nolan. Nolan likes bigger, physical CB's such as McAlister, Walt Harris and Nate Clements and McAlister would be a better fit for that scheme than Bly. Considering his age and medical history, it's also possible McAlister could come at a price tag comfortable to the team.

However, Sirius also reported don't be surprised if the Broncos also have interest in Rams CB Ronald Bartell Jr. who fits that mold as well. In addition, they mentioned the names of Patriots S James Sanders, DE Mike Wright and DE Kenny Smith; Bears S Mike Brown; Buccaneers S Jermaine Phillips; Jets DE C.J. Mosley; Falcons NT Grady Jackson; and Cardinals NT Gabe Watson as guys the Broncos may have interest in.

However, hilife also reports based on the information provided by Sirius the Broncos may have interest in every defense player in FA.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-18-2009, 09:11 AM
I assume this is all just sirius making crap up? FRONT SEVEN FRONT SEVEN FRONT SEVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tsiguy96
02-18-2009, 09:15 AM
we need to pick up a few FAs to fill holes, cant do everything in the draft. hopefully mcalister and mike brown will sign, would be a very good start and good veterans to help the D...

theAPAOps5
02-18-2009, 09:16 AM
why McAllister???

that's such a lateral move

He doesn't play patty cake until the 1 yrd line before committing to tackle. And his salary will be much less then Bly.

montrose
02-18-2009, 09:21 AM
but no Atogwe mention? He's getting mildly overrated, but still the best of the S crop.

They've been pretty high on Atogwe, had him on as a guest the other day and called him the best S on the FA market. Maybe they figure he's out of our price range?

However, hilife also reports based on the information provided by Sirius the Broncos may have interest in every defense player in FA.

LOL

I assume this is all just sirius making crap up?

No they're very credible. Most of their info comes from agents and front office guys. All of these names make a lot of sense from a scheme and financial standpoint.

socalorado
02-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Love Mike Brown and Jermaine Phillips, but no Atogwe mention? He's getting mildly overrated, but still the best of the S crop.

I think alot of the "analysts" are expecting him to be franchised soon.
Just one more day man. One more day.....

James Sanders would be a solid pick up. Bartell would be a steal! That guy has skills, and hes young. Wouldnt suprise me if STL just opted to pay him the extra 2 MIL over what Otogwe would get franchised at, and they just franchised Bartell for a year.
NT Gabe Watson would be great too, and with the franchising of Dansby, and bringing back Warner, maybe DEN could actually steal him for a 3rd. That would be nice, but kinda a pipe dream.

socalorado
02-18-2009, 09:25 AM
They've been pretty high on Atogwe, had him on as a guest the other day and called him the best S on the FA market. Maybe they figure he's out of our price range?

LOL

No they're very credible. Most of their info comes from agents and front office guys. All of these names make a lot of sense from a scheme and financial standpoint.

Otogwe would get Madieu Williams money 5 years, 36-38 MIL range. Something like this.

yerner
02-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Chris Mac is twice the player that Bly ever was. Don't know anything about his injury, but he's as good a football player as they can get in free agency.

Popcorn Sutton
02-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Like to see Gabe Watson on the list... I'm all about finding players on the D-Line and building outward.

TheReverend
02-18-2009, 09:41 AM

If with this kind of cap room we can't fit a S in (very cheap position $ wise), then Colonel Xanders needs to get the **** out of town.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Colonel Xanders...i like that

supermanhr9
02-18-2009, 09:46 AM
I like Atogwe, and McCalister. Lets get them both and combine them with a little samoan out of USC by the name of REY REY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also I would like to win the lottery, have the ability to fly, and poop gold. That's all

CEH
02-18-2009, 09:49 AM
IMO, follow the BB/Parcell method to building a D
Kick out the old and build from the front to back.
Speciality players like S come last in his rebuild methodogy

MIA went from 30th in scoring D in '07 to 9th in '08 they cleaned out Z Thomas, J Taylor . Brought in Merling and Langston and Ferguson to bolster the front 3. Brought a aggressive style of defense
Were not afraid to blitz and stop playing DB 10 yard off.
Released the hounds so to speak. Turnovers galore

TheReverend
02-18-2009, 09:50 AM

Credit SureShot. Genius naming by him.

socalorado
02-18-2009, 09:50 AM
I like Atogwe, and McCalister. Lets get them both and combine them with a little samoan out of USC by the name of REY REY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also I would like to win the lottery, have the ability to fly, and poop gold. That's all

What about crap sparkles outta your @$$, and make unicorns in your back yard for the neighborhood children!?!?!?

MileHighMagic
02-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Mike Brown is ALWAYS injured. Even going back to his Nebraska days. He makes Boss Bailey look like Cal Ripken.

MVP-06
02-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Isn't Mcallister getting a little long in the tooth?

montrose
02-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Mike Brown is ALWAYS injured. Even going back to his Nebraska days. He makes Boss Bailey look like Cal Ripken.

:rofl:

Kaylore
02-18-2009, 10:00 AM
One concern I have is any team that has signed a bunch of free agents in one offseason usually sucks the following season. Does anyone have an example of a team that signed a bunch of new starters and was good the next year?

broncofan7
02-18-2009, 10:03 AM

LOL!

gyldenlove
02-18-2009, 10:05 AM

MIA went from 30th in scoring D in '07 to 9th in '08 they cleaned out Z Thomas, J Taylor . Brought in Merling and Langston and Ferguson to bolster the front 3. Brought a aggressive style of defense

The Parcells way of building a D is based on the assumption that there is only a small and finite number of fat guys in the world who can play football so you need to get as many as possible. Then you add a couple of really fast guys and you have a D.

Popcorn Sutton
02-18-2009, 10:05 AM
One concern I have is any team that has signed a bunch of free agents in one offseason usually sucks the following season. Does anyone have an example of a team that signed a bunch of new starters and was good the next year?

Miami?

socalorado
02-18-2009, 10:06 AM

THE 2009-2010 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION DENVER BRONCOS!

Darnit!

broncofan7
02-18-2009, 10:07 AM

Maybe the 16-0 Pats? But your hunch seems correct--more times than not it ends up in failure.

The offseason brought the arrival of seven unrestricted free agents to the Patriots. Additions on offense were running back Sammy Morris[13], tight end Kyle Brady[14], and wide receivers Donté Stallworth and Kelley Washington[15]. Additions on defense were linebacker Adalius Thomas[16] and cornerbacks Tory James[17] and Eddie Jackson[18]. Other arrivals were Rashad Moore (New York Jets), Kenny Smith (Tampa Bay Buccaneers)[19], Chad Brown (Pittsburgh Steelers)[20], Marcellus Rivers (New Orleans Saints)[21], and Chris Hanson (New Orleans Saints)[22].

Free agents or potential free agents Heath Evans, Billy Yates[23], Larry Izzo[24], Rashad Baker, Gene Mruczkowski[25], Junior Seau[26], Randall Gay[27], Troy Brown[28], and Vinny Testaverde[29] were all re-signed. Cornerback Asante Samuel was tendered the non-exclusive version of the franchise tag[30] and signed it on August 28[31].

[edit] Trades
In the first week of free agency, the Patriots traded a second-round and a seventh-round pick in the 2007 NFL Draft to the Miami Dolphins for wide receiver Wes Welker. A restricted free agent, Welker signed a five-year contract with the Patriots to complete the trade[32].

On the second day of the 2007 NFL Draft, the Patriots continued to add to their wide receiving corps by this time trading with the Oakland Raiders. A fourth-round pick in the draft was sent in exchange for wide receiver Randy Moss, who agreed to more than a $6 million USD pay cut[33][34].

During training camp, on August 7, the Patriots traded an undisclosed pick in the 2008 NFL Draft to the Chicago Bears for cornerback Dante Wesley

Beantown Bronco
02-18-2009, 10:08 AM

Classic moment the other day. So I'm watching the NFL Network replay of the Broncos Saints game from this past year. Aikman is talking about what a help it is to the Broncos defense that Boss Bailey is back in the starting lineup after missing time due to injury (and it's only week three). Two plays later........Boss is on the ground and has to leave the game with an injury.

I couldn't stop laughing.

BroncoBuff
02-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Grady Jackson and/or Gabe Watson would be a nice transition to the Ron Brace/Dorrell Scott era.

McAllister is a lateral move from Bly in some ways ... but Mac is a lot more physical, though it's not hard to be more physical than Dre Bly.

montrose
02-18-2009, 10:18 AM
If McAlister were signed, I'd imagine a CB will be taken on draft day to compete with Bell and Williams for the nickel spot. Of our nine picks, I'd love to see at least one CB, S, ILB, OLB, NT and DE selected. Bartell intrigues me, but I think you need a veteran mentality to play across from Champ. I'm not a huge McAlister fan as I hate his tendency for the defensive holding call, but one thing I'll give him is that he's the type of CB that doesn't give a sh*t if he gets beat on a play. And he loves to hit. It's not that he can do it, he actually likes contact.

eddie mac
02-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Kenny Smith. Now when did he last start a football game???

Yes 2003. LMFAO at Sirus.

TonyR
02-18-2009, 10:49 AM

If by "old" you mean "existing" maybe, but if you are referring to age not necessarily. They like old guys, particularly your stereotypical "wiley old veteran". Look at the Pats with Seau, Bruschi, Vrabel, Harrison, etc. Smart players who don't mind getting dirty.

TheReverend
02-18-2009, 10:59 AM

When Minnesota grabbed the Williams boys and Sharper it turned out pretty damn well...

montrose
02-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Kenny Smith. Now when did he last start a football game???

Yes 2003. LMFAO at Sirus.

I don't think they'd be looking at him as a starter, but rather a guy who knows the system and would be depth.

Kaylore
02-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Miami?

What year?

Inkana7
02-18-2009, 11:18 AM

Denver circa 1995/1996. Our SB teams don't win without the free agents brought in.

Ambiguous
02-18-2009, 11:19 AM

Hell yeah, best thing out of this thread so far. :D

LongDongJohnson
02-18-2009, 11:19 AM
i would love chris mcalister. sure he's 31 turning 32 (same age as bly) before next season. but i dont think that will be a issue. he was never a speed demon. he's tall physical shut down corner when healthy. we need that as our division has tall WR's like Vincent Jackson, Malcom Floyd, and Dwayne Bowe. Bly has trouble covering those kind of guys. plus it seems that bly is scared to tackle at times.

the only issue id have with him is his health. the last 2 seasons he only played 14 games.
but before the last 2 seasons he's been healthy pretty much every game. so maybe the last 2 seaons were bad luck.

Bailey, Mcalister > Bailey, Bly

for the right price getting mcalister would be a great move. but id only keep him for 2 seasons maybe 3 at the most.

gyldenlove
02-18-2009, 11:20 AM
Grady Jackson and/or Gabe Watson would be a nice transition to the Ron Brace/Dorrell Scott era.

McAllister is a lateral move from Bly in some ways ... but Mac is a lot more physical, though it's not hard to be more physical than Dre Bly.

Grady Jackson is 200 years old and the only pocket he will collapse is his own when he sticks his leg in the wrong hole in his pants.

Popcorn Sutton
02-18-2009, 11:24 AM
What year?

Last year. They got rid of Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas and signed a number of free agents. They improved drastically year over year.

lookin' glass
02-18-2009, 11:26 AM

Have Nolan's defenses been considered aggresive? I thought Baltimore's D was aggresive under Lewis and under Ryan but not necessarily Nolan.
I agree with the front to back and add inside out.

eddie mac
02-18-2009, 11:27 AM
I don't think they'd be looking at him as a starter, but rather a guy who knows the system and would be depth.

According to NFL.com Kenny hasn't even been on an active roster on gameday since 2003.

I'd rather bring Rulon Jones out of retirement or Greg Kragen.:D

Gcver2ver3
02-18-2009, 11:37 AM
chris mcallister makes sense...

he's around the same age as Bly but would come cheaper and knows Nolan's system...very low risk/high reward opportunity...

plus, nothing made me happier than reading Jermaine Phillips on the list...he's a guy i've pimped on this site numerous times...go get that guy...he's a man...

we are looking for bargains in the secondary and my guess we'll likely use our bigger cash on front seven...

either way the draft is going to be pivotal...

can't wait...

Beantown Bronco
02-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Last year. They got rid of Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas and signed a number of free agents. They improved drastically year over year.

I'd argue that it's VERY easy to go from a 2-4 win team in the NFL to a 9 or 10 win team in the NFL in one year. Teams do it every year. What's MUCH harder IMO is going from a 9-10 win team to a legit SB contending team in one year.

montrose
02-18-2009, 11:40 AM
According to NFL.com Kenny hasn't even been on an active roster on gameday since 2003.

I'd rather bring Rulon Jones out of retirement or Greg Kragen.:D

Haha, there's always the chance I misheard the name - but I'm pretty sure it was Kenny Smith. I was hoping it was Kenny The Jet!

http://ycorpblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/kenny-smith-final.jpg

cutthemdown
02-18-2009, 11:41 AM
If Broncos also may be clearing cap room for a move up in the draft. You never know. Really outside of Peppers and Haynesworth not much in the dline FA pool that is worth a ton of money. FA often get more because teams desperate.

Chris mcallister would be a decent stop gap, but then you still might want to draft a young CB.

montrose
02-18-2009, 11:42 AM
I'd argue that it's VERY easy to go from a 2-4 win team in the NFL to a 9 or 10 win team in the NFL in one year. Teams do it every year. What's MUCH harder IMO is going from a 9-10 win team to a legit SB contending team in one year.

In the cases of Baltimore, Atlanta and Miami's turnarounds - keep in mind that all three of those teams went from god awful QB situations to much improved ones last year. Now I know QB isn't the only reason those teams turned it around (although you could argue it was in Baltimore's case), but we're not in that situation where the QB spot was the reason we sucked.

For the Broncos to become competitive given the current make up of the team, they need to:

1) Create more turnovers defensively
2) At least marginally reduce the points allowed on defense
3) Reduce the offensive turnovers
4) Score more TD's in the red zone

Some of these problems are can be fixed with coaching, others with personnel. Lets make the huge assumption that improved coaching, experience and a healthy Hillis and/or Torain will solve #3 and #4.

To solve #1 and #2 will take both improved coaching and personnel. My belief is that the coaching will help more towards accomplishing #1 and personnel towards #2. If we go with the previously asserted assumption that #3 and #4 will be taken care of, do we think that Mike Nolan and his defensive staff along with a handful of free agents and rookies can solve #1 and #2? If so, we can competitive in a hurry. Considering a substantial part of the budget needs to be put away towards keeping the offense together, I think we'll be relying on the coaching aspect a great deal as our personnel upgrades are going to be limited mostly to the draft, with just a few exceptions like a McAlister.

Without question to me, Mike Nolan's job performance is the key to our success in 2009. That means his ability to implement a strong scheme, teach these guys winning techniques and motivate them to play well week-in and week-out.

BroncoBuff
02-18-2009, 11:47 AM

Nice simile ...

Kaylore
02-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Ok, I think some of you clearly don't understand what I mean. I didn't say there wasn't a time when any team signed any free agents and improved. I said is there a time when a team signed several free agents, many of them high priced, and they didn't suck the next year? If there are, they are the exception.

TheReverend
02-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Ok, I think some of you clearly don't understand what I mean. I didn't say there wasn't a time when any team signed any free agents and improved. I said is there a time when a team signed several free agents, many of them high priced, and they didn't suck the next year? If there are, they are the exception.

Then I must once again reference Minnesota's spending spree.

vancejohnson82
02-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Then I must once again reference Minnesota's spending spree.

the Jets also went from 3-13 to 8-8 (barring a collapse woudl have been much better)

they went out and got Favre, Faneca (FONECO) and Kris Jenkins

Kaylore
02-18-2009, 12:17 PM
When Minnesota grabbed the Williams boys and Sharper it turned out pretty damn well...

Well they didn't suck, but going from 8-8 to 9-7 is hardly the return the fine folks of Minnesota were hoping for.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Well they didn't suck, but going from 8-8 to 9-7 is hardly the return the fine folks of Minnesota were hoping for.

I thnk that was more due to their offensive ineptitude than anything

Tombstone RJ
02-18-2009, 12:24 PM
FA's can work, they just need to be the right FAs. The Patriots are masters of this, Belichick never pays a boat load for a FA and they always seem to produce on the field and in the locker room.

Now, can McD do the same? He will certainly be given a chance to prove to Bowlen that he can.

TheReverend
02-18-2009, 12:27 PM

But all three of them were huge upgrades and have played fanstastically since. Wasn't that the point of your question?

Drek
02-18-2009, 12:46 PM
the Jets also went from 3-13 to 8-8 (barring a collapse woudl have been much better)

And Calvin Pace.

HILife
02-18-2009, 12:59 PM
If with this kind of cap room we can't fit a S in (very cheap position $ wise), then Colonel Xanders needs to get the **** out of town.

:rofl: :giggle: I like that. That should stick, although it would suggest he should be the GM for KFC. Wow, that would be funny if he really was.

HILife
02-18-2009, 01:01 PM

Tell me more about this pooping gold. How does that work and were can I get it?

cutthemdown
02-18-2009, 01:02 PM

One reason a new coach cleans house is to get a throw away yr. McDaniels can say well you can't change a whole defense, it will take a yr or so. That way he really isn't under then gun until yr 3. IMO Bronco fans will only allow one non playoff yr and then Bowlen will be hearing a lot fo bad things about his decisions.

I think Broncos defense was so bad it really can be better doing it this way. If the offense pulls its head out and stops turning ball over then Broncos could maybe be a better team next yr.

No doubt though tons of questions, once again I have to say I don't see playoffs for Denver.

Now if we hit some home runs on defense who knows maybe that prediction changes.

tsiguy96
02-18-2009, 01:05 PM
are you guys actually complaining about them cleaning out the broncos defense? you guys realize this was the worst defense in denver broncos history right? who cares if we have to start over with it and it takes a year, atleast well be on the right track to soemthing better then keep around marginal players year in and year out with a few FA to "fill the holes" much like mcree, webster, boss and every other defensive player on the team that got cut/is gone.

you cant expect them to go from worst to first in a year, it may take a bit of time but atleast they are doing it right by getting rid of players that just arent good enough.

HILife
02-18-2009, 01:08 PM

I fully agree. Games are won and lost in the trenches. Why do you think Philly is always in the NFC championship? They always use their first round picks on the lines.

Drek
02-18-2009, 01:09 PM

I personally don't expect us to sign many high priced free agents, if any.

Peppers, Haynesworth, Asomougha, etc.. I don't think we'll bring anyone in that tier to Denver.

A Chris Canty, maybe a Gabe Watson? Thats more like what I expect. Solid mid-tier FAs who fit the system and belong on an NFL roster. Bring them in and let them compete with some young guys out of the draft and on the current roster.

Kaylore
02-18-2009, 01:13 PM
But all three of them were huge upgrades and have played fanstastically since. Wasn't that the point of your question?

No, my point was I rarely see a team get better when a ton of free agents are signed all at once. What I'm getting at is I think it has more to do with system familiarity and on-field chemistry than magic band-aids we can buy.

Find a system. Draft guys to fill their roles in that system; In three years you have a good team.

cutthemdown
02-18-2009, 01:16 PM
are you guys actually complaining about them cleaning out the broncos defense? you guys realize this was the worst defense in denver broncos history right? who cares if we have to start over with it and it takes a year, atleast well be on the right track to soemthing better then keep around marginal players year in and year out with a few FA to "fill the holes" much like mcree, webster, boss and every other defensive player on the team that got cut/is gone.

you cant expect them to go from worst to first in a year, it may take a bit of time but atleast they are doing it right by getting rid of players that just arent good enough.

No I think everyone agree the defense had 5-6 players on it that were total scrubs. Some of us came to that conclusion earlier then others, but in the end we all agree.

I think what Kaylore is saying, and it has merit, is that don't expect to be able to fix this mess in one offseason. No way a defense with 5-6 new starters is going to hit on all cylinders. Maybe by end of yr but I wouldn't expect it early.

I would be happy with an 8-8 yr as long as we played better. Less turnovers, don't give up so many points etc. It's a brutal schedule and Bronco fans may have to ready themselves for another non playoff yr.

socalorado
02-18-2009, 01:21 PM
I personally don't expect us to sign many high priced free agents, if any.

Peppers, Haynesworth, Asomougha, etc.. I don't think we'll bring anyone in that tier to Denver.

A Chris Canty, maybe a Gabe Watson? Thats more like what I expect. Solid mid-tier FAs who fit the system and belong on an NFL roster. Bring them in and let them compete with some young guys out of the draft and on the current roster.

Well, if HiLife can figure out how to poop gold, then DEN will make the playoffs next year!!

Inkana7
02-18-2009, 01:24 PM

Who defines the word several?

gyldenlove
02-18-2009, 01:26 PM

The 3-13 season was an aberration, they were 9-7 the year before that.

Besides how happy would you be if we buy 1 season of mediocrity and then have to let go of several players? The Jets are well above the salary cap even with Favre retiring, they got their coach fired and lost the division to a 1-15 team with their old QB who wasn't good enough.

I would be really upset if we went and copied them.

snowspot66
02-18-2009, 01:26 PM
No I think everyone agree the defense had 5-6 players on it that were total scrubs. Some of us came to that conclusion earlier then others, but in the end we all agree.

I think what Kaylore is saying, and it has merit, is that don't expect to be able to fix this mess in one offseason. No way a defense with 5-6 new starters is going to hit on all cylinders. Maybe by end of yr but I wouldn't expect it early.

I would be happy with an 8-8 yr as long as we played better. Less turnovers, don't give up so many points etc. It's a brutal schedule and Bronco fans may have to ready themselves for another non playoff yr.

With the schedule and projects galore on the defense we'll be looking to peak at the end of the year and make a push into the playoffs. It will be a bumpy year but that's the ideal path of it. We've all seen it before.

Team makes changes.
Struggles.
Turns it on at the end of the year.
Media slobbers on them for a full offseason.
? ? ?
Profit!

summerdenver
02-18-2009, 01:28 PM
No, my point was I rarely see a team get better when a ton of free agents are signed all at once. What I'm getting at is I think it has more to do with system familiarity and on-field chemistry than magic band-aids we can buy.

Find a system. Draft guys to fill their roles in that system; In three years you have a good team.

Normally I will be with you but the i don't think the logic is applicable for the current Broncos - We are like the worst defense in the history of Football Outsiders (and that includes the 0 - 16 Det). I cannot believe bringing new people will not atleast improve us to merely bad from historically bad levels.

Kaylore
02-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Normally I will be with you but the i don't think the logic is applicable for the current Broncos - We are like the worst defense in the history of Football Outsiders (and that includes the 0 - 16 Det). I cannot believe bringing new people will not atleast improve us to merely bad from historically bad levels.

I'm not against free agents. I just hope we don't spend all this money on a bunch of new guys and then expect a top ten defense. I think We should bring in a few guys if they make sense but we should use our money to resign our proven players on offense and then focus on having a good draft. Will we suck next year, especially with our schedule? Almost certainly. So just suck it up, make it through the season as we learn the news system, take the higher draft picks the season after and eventually we'll improve. I think we need to exercise a measure of patience here and just focus on the draft as the primary means for building this team.

WolfpackGuy
02-18-2009, 01:49 PM
I would take McAlister at the right price. The defense, the front four especially, needs to be built up through the draft. Your secondary will look great with a good pass rush. 67% completion percentage by opposing QB's as in 2008 is Tecmo Bowlish.
Repeating what a lot of people have said, just improving to average would be good for a few more wins.

NFLBRONCO
02-18-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm not against free agents. I just hope we don't spend all this money on a bunch of new guys and then expect a top ten defense. I think We should bring in a few guys if they make sense but we should use our money to resign our proven players on offense and then focus on having a good draft. Will we suck next year, especially with our schedule? Almost certainly. So just suck it up, make it through the season as we learn the news system, take the higher draft picks the season after and eventually we'll improve. I think we need to exercise a measure of patience here and just focus on the draft as the primary means for building this team.

I think this is a good idea great job Kaylore

gyldenlove
02-18-2009, 01:56 PM

We agree and disagree at the same time, quite an accomplishment.

I agree with you that we shouldn't go out and spend everything on a big name FA or a couple. I would like to spend wisely rather than throwing huge gobs of money at people and hope something works out. I would like to pick up a number of players, preferably younger players who can help the team long term and a veteran or two for leadership and experience. I would like reasonably priced players and depth players.

I think we have to build with what we have and through the draft to have a team that won't have a 1 season window and then has to unload massively the way we used to do things.

I don't think we should settle for not winning next year, with the players we have in place we should be competing every year and frankly I think it would be a huge disappointment if we do not improve on our 8-8 year. We basicly have 6 winnable games in the division, Cleveland at home, Dallas at home, Cincinnati, Washington and Philly away that we all have a shot at winning. If we do well we are an above .500 team, and that is assuming we lose all games to the teams that look good on paper right now.

TonyR
02-18-2009, 02:19 PM
COULD MCALISTER LINK UP WITH JETS?
Posted by Aaron Wilson on February 18, 2009, 2:15 p.m. EST
The New York Jets haven’t reached out to former Baltimore Ravens cornerback Chris McAlister yet, according to Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News.

Although the Jets are expected to possibly have some interest in McAlister, a three-time Pro Bowl selection whose contract was terminated Monday in a move that created $8 million in salary-cap space, they haven’t been in touch with his agent, Mitch Frankel.

McAlister underwent knee surgery during the season and said Monday that he’ll be able to participate in “100 percent football activity” by May or June. It may be a while before McAlister can pass a physical, too.

McAlister also has a history of off-field problems and reportedly clashed with the Ravens coaching staff last season.

When McAlister is on top of his game, though, he’s one of the most physically dominant cornerbacks in the NFL.

Jets coach Rex Ryan, the former Ravens defensive coordinator, is keenly aware of McAlister’s ability and personality, so General Manager Mike Tannenbaum will have plenty of information on whether New York should make a bid on him.

Per Cimini, the Jets may also look at drafting a cornerback to go with Darrelle Revis, Dwight Lowery, and Drew Coleman.

Meanwhile, Jon Kitna was mentioned as a potential quarterback possibility for the Jets as the Daily News predicted he’ll be cut by the Detroit Lions soon.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/18/could-mcalister-link-up-with-jets/

Br0nc0Buster
02-18-2009, 02:59 PM
eh I am lukewarm on McCalister

He is getting up there, plus coming off injuries.....not a situation set up for success.

I saw Ronald Bartell's name, I highly doubt the Rams let him walk, but if they do this guy can really play.

I would be in favor of bringing him in, he is young, talented, and very good

Ironlung
02-18-2009, 05:53 PM
I would be so happy if Denver landed Jermaine Phillips. I have missed having a safety lay the wood out there, plus he's a smart player who knows the game. He would be the opposite of the mindless pussies we've been trottin out there at safety.

broncs2bowl
02-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Love Gabe Watson and Jermaine Phillips

broncosteven
02-18-2009, 06:17 PM

Mike Brown played in 15 games last year. He had 2 INT's during that time. Only one of our CB's had 2 Ints last year.

Even if he playes in 8 games those are 8 games that the Safety position is not a problem.

The guy can do it all. I think he was rounding the corner on injuries. He is a leader and would be our version of Rodney Harrison, who also was injured last year.

cutthemdown
02-18-2009, 06:22 PM
I would be so happy if Denver landed Jermaine Phillips. I have missed having a safety lay the wood out there, plus he's a smart player who knows the game. He would be the opposite of the mindless pussies we've been trottin out there at safety.

coming off a broken arm though so he also has some risk.

BroncoBuff
02-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Love Gabe Watson and Jermaine Phillips
Yeah, that'll work ... but Phillips is not a true free safety. So signing him will take snaps away from Barrett.

TheReverend
02-19-2009, 04:53 AM
Yeah, that'll work ... but Phillips is not a true free safety. So signing him will take snaps away from Barrett.

Something's wrong with Phillips. I think his arm may be worse than anyone is letting on.

His position coach becomes the head coach,
he's arguably the best player in TB's secondary,
a tag for a S is dirt cheap,
.........and they're letting him walk.

It's very fishy.

azbroncfan
02-19-2009, 05:02 AM

I can't but the good news is the D can't be much worse than last year's crap.

Dedhed
02-19-2009, 05:27 AM
I'd argue that it's VERY easy to go from a 2-4 win team in the NFL to a 9 or 10 win team in the NFL in one year. Teams do it every year. What's MUCH harder IMO is going from a 9-10 win team to a legit SB contending team in one year.They went from 30th in the league on defense to 9th in a single off-season by getting rid of their highest profile players and adding a number of FAs. That's exactly what Kaylore asked, and it's not easy to do.

TheReverend
02-19-2009, 06:02 AM

I don't know about that... You mentioned that the team went from 8-8 to 9-7, but also ignored the fact that 2005 was also the same time they traded Randy Moss and effectively the injury and end of Daunte Culpepper. The defense showed a marked improvement (while not world beating), especially in turnovers, despite offensive ailings.

I can't imagine any Minnesota fan believing they haven't gotten their "return on investment" for both Kevin and Pat Williams AND Sharper.

socalorado
02-19-2009, 06:39 AM
Something's wrong with Phillips. I think his arm may be worse than anyone is letting on.

His position coach becomes the head coach,
he's arguably the best player in TB's secondary,
a tag for a S is dirt cheap,
.........and they're letting him walk.

It's very fishy.

Yeah, you may be right. Remember when he originally broke his forearm, midseason? THey listed him as out for the season. Then he was playing again 3 weeks later! HE looked ok too, but then he either reinjured his "broken" arm, or he broke the other arm. They never said. He eventually went out on IR i think. I tired to keep up with his situation, cause i always liked him as a player, but TB was very quiet on it, and i honestly cant remember what his eventual status was.
Piscatelli is there as well, so them might think that letting him walk is no biggie. dunno.

MileHighMagic
02-19-2009, 07:07 AM
Mike Brown played in 15 games last year. He had 2 INT's during that time. Only one of our CB's had 2 Ints last year.

Even if he playes in 8 games those are 8 games that the Safety position is not a problem.

The guy can do it all. I think he was rounding the corner on injuries. He is a leader and would be our version of Rodney Harrison, who also was injured last year.

Wow! Two picks on the Bears defense with those stellar QB's in the North. You're right... What are we waiting for? Take a look at his career. The guy is very rarely healthy. You don't want to be paying free agents just to cash checks in the training room. If you want to pay an overrated, injury prone safety on the wrong side of 30, he's your guy.

You say he's rounding a corner on injuries? You do realize he played one measley game in 2007, six in 2006, & all of two games in 2004. I am guessing he played through injury last year because he was in a contract year or knew he had to be on the field to get paid in 09. The Bears reduced his pay and had all kinds of injury clauses in his contract because he's damaged goods.

BroncoBuff
02-19-2009, 07:18 PM
No, my point was I rarely see a team get better when a ton of free agents are signed all at once.
We went to the AFC Championship game with a rookie CB, three new starters on the D-Line, and a veteran CB and safety in their 2nd seasons here. 2005 might be a fairly apt comparison to what we're gonna see in 2009.

DBroncos4life
02-19-2009, 07:39 PM

I don't know how I missed this. I've watched a couple of NU games in my life and he and Ralph Brown started as freshman. Can't say that he missed anytime in college, nor could my brother or dad.

DBroncos4life
02-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Wow! Two picks on the Bears defense with those stellar QB's in the North. You're right... What are we waiting for? Take a look at his career. The guy is very rarely healthy. You don't want to be paying free agents just to cash checks in the training room. If you want to pay an overrated, injury prone safety on the wrong side of 30, he's your guy.

You say he's rounding a corner on injuries? You do realize he played one measley game in 2007, six in 2006, & all of two games in 2004. I am guessing he played through injury last year because he was in a contract year or knew he had to be on the field to get paid in 09. The Bears reduced his pay and had all kinds of injury clauses in his contract because he's damaged goods.

From 86 to 90 Ronnie Lott missed about 19 games with San Fran. In fact the last two years he only played in 22 of 32 games. He then went on to only miss 1 game in the next 4 years with the Raiders and Jets. Its just wierd to believe a saftey on the wrong side of 30 could play in more games then when he was younger.

HILife
02-20-2009, 04:12 AM
Well, if HiLife can figure out how to poop gold, then DEN will make the playoffs next year!!

Well this morning I thought I figured it out, but it turned out to be just the Goldschlager working it's way through my system.

nickademus
02-20-2009, 09:24 AM

dont forget woody. they basically upgraded their o-line and D line and honestly Pennington would have been just as good as farve in NY last season.

Pseudofool
02-20-2009, 09:42 AM
why McAllister???

that's such a lateral moveIt's only lateral if he cost as much as Bly.