PDA

View Full Version : Anyone getting calls on your cell phone from solicitors?

Hotrod
02-18-2009, 08:59 AM
WTF is going on. Lately I've been getting calls from solicitors on my cell phone. Did some company AT&T sell out our numbers or some ****???

Anyone else getting this crap?

I got one this morning advertising the release of some ****ing movie the velvitine rabbit or some such crap.

****ers

Dendave
02-18-2009, 09:07 AM
it's been happening to me for awhile

Fusionfrontman
02-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Yah i get **** every week about dead babies in spanish, and my car insurance warranty being expired. My girlfriend told me about it a while ago and gave me a number to take it off the list. I thought she was kidding....looks like Im the fool now.

Hotrod
02-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Yah i get **** every week about dead babies in spanish, and my car insurance warranty being expired. My girlfriend told me about it a while ago and gave me a number to take it off the list. I thought she was kidding....looks like Im the fool now.

I've been getting the one about the warranty expiring on my 1990 pick up Ha!

"This is your first and only chance to extend the warranty on your vehicle."

**** they have given me my first and only chance about 10 ****ing times now.

The movie one is retarded I dont even have a ****ing movie theater in my town.

gyldenlove
02-18-2009, 09:11 AM
I get calls too. They should have police marksmen shooting everybody who is involved in those calls and their kids!

theAPAOps5
02-18-2009, 09:18 AM
I don't because I saw in the news a year ago that cell phones would be open to solicitation so I put my cell number on the no call list.

Hotrod
02-18-2009, 09:21 AM
I don't because I saw in the news a year ago that cell phones would be open to solicitation so I put my cell number on the no call list.

I just added mine

For anyone interested just google "no call list"

MVP-06
02-18-2009, 09:51 AM
REMINDER.... All cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls.
... YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS....

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888-382-1222.
It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years.
You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a different phone number.

HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS... It takes about 20 seconds

Got this email last month and added my # right away. Haven't had a call yet

Beantown Bronco
02-18-2009, 10:20 AM
REMINDER.... All cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls.
... YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS....

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888-382-1222.
It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years.
You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a different phone number.

HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS... It takes about 20 seconds

Got this email last month and added my # right away. Haven't had a call yet

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

Hotrod
02-18-2009, 10:24 AM

I think Snopes better re investigate as I'm not the only one suddenly getting crap calls.

hades
02-18-2009, 10:24 AM
https://www.donotcall.gov/

go register it there, I don't get any calls on mine.

Dudeskey
02-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Only solicitation I've recieved is via text from my cell carrier... And thats been once in a great while.

theAPAOps5
02-18-2009, 10:30 AM
https://www.donotcall.gov/

go register it there, I don't get any calls on mine.

This is the site where I registered mine.

bowtown
02-18-2009, 10:30 AM
When I get them, I wait on the line to talk to a person, and then ask the name, number and address of the company, tell them what they are doing is illegal and that I'm going to call the police. They almost always immediately hang up. I've never received a call from the same company twice.

MVP-06
02-18-2009, 10:32 AM

You must be a telemarketer

Beantown Bronco
02-18-2009, 10:34 AM
I think Snopes better re investigate as I'm not the only one suddenly getting crap calls.

It's an FTC issue.

FCC regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phone numbers. Automated dialers are standard in the industry, so most telemarketers are barred from calling consumers on their cell phones without their consent.

All you gain by going on the do not call list is further eliminating calls from those that don't use automatic dialers.....but that is significantly less than 1% of all cold callers.

Beantown Bronco
02-18-2009, 10:35 AM
You must be a telemarketer

Why?

Garcia Bronco
02-18-2009, 10:50 AM
I love these calls when it's a real person. I do my best to totally waste their time. I enjoy it.

Kaylore
02-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Why?

Because you disagreed with him! Anyone that posts facts disagreeing with the iron-clad veracity of an E-mail chain letter must be one of the enemy!

DO NOT FLASH YOUR LIGHTS TO CARS WITHOUT THEIR LIGHTS ON! This is a gang initiation and they have to kill whoever flashes their lights to them! I read this in an E-mail. If you post snopes disproving this, then you're a gang member too!!!!!

bowtown
02-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Because you disagreed with him! Anyone that posts facts disagreeing with the iron-clad veracity of an E-mail chain letter must be one of the enemy!

DO NOT FLASH YOUR LIGHTS TO CARS WITHOUT THEIR LIGHTS ON! This is a gang initiation and they have to kill whoever flashes their lights to them! I read this in an E-mail. If you post snopes disproving this, then you're a gang member too!!!!!

I'm still waiting for my check from Bill Gates. Bitch betta have my money!

Beantown Bronco
02-18-2009, 10:59 AM
I love these calls when it's a real person. I do my best to totally waste their time. I enjoy it.

I hand the phone to my 4 year old and tell her it's her nana or papa. Cracks me up to hear her blabbing on forever while the person on the other end repeatedly asks for her mother or father before finally giving up.

Hotrod
02-18-2009, 11:00 AM
I hand the phone to my 4 year old and tell her it's her nana or papa. Cracks me up to hear her blabbing on forever while the person on the other end repeatedly asks for her mother or father before finally giving up.

LOL Awesome

I was thinking of an air horn :)

Man-Goblin
02-18-2009, 11:18 AM
I got the Velvetine Rabbit call too.

TheReverend
02-18-2009, 11:53 AM
WTF is going on. Lately I've been getting calls from solicitors on my cell phone. Did some company AT&T sell out our numbers or some ****???

Anyone else getting this crap?

I got one this morning advertising the release of some ****ing movie the velvitine rabbit or some such crap.

****ers

Not personally, no.

But last week I did have ak PM me your cell # and I've been subscribing it to all sorts of internet marketing agencies.

Ooops. :thumbsup:

Hotrod
02-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Not personally, no.

But last week I did have ak PM me your cell # and I've been subscribing it to all sorts of internet marketing agencies.

Ooops. :thumbsup:

Well that explains the calls from trannys R us :nono:

Beantown Bronco
02-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Well that explains the calls from trannys R us :nono:

Kaylore likes to call me from work too.

TailgateNut
02-18-2009, 12:23 PM
LOL Awesome

I was thinking of an air horn :)

Referee style whistles work REALLY WELL, or just ask them for their PRIVATE number so you can "give them a call at odd hours of the day" if you happen to have a garage sale.;D

They always HANG UP???

Los Broncos
02-18-2009, 12:24 PM
I get them about my car and its warranty.

Kaylore
02-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Kaylore likes to call me from work too.

Hey! I have to hit my references first or I get knocked in my quarterly review!

Dendave
02-18-2009, 12:28 PM
The thing I can’t stand right now is the company who used to fertilize my lawn left my gate open last summer and my dogs got out. I cancelled the service the same day. They are now calling me every other day to “renew” my service. I finally told them if they didn’t stop calling me I was going to report them to the police for harassment. What part of I don’t want your service any more don’t you understand?

Beantown Bronco
02-18-2009, 12:43 PM
The thing I canít stand right now is the company who used to fertilize my lawn left my gate open last summer and my dogs got out. I cancelled the service the same day. They are now calling me every other day to ďrenewĒ my service. I finally told them if they didnít stop calling me I was going to report them to the police for harassment. What part of I donít want your service any more donít you understand?

If you had dogs, why did you need to hire someone else to fertilize the lawn?

TailgateNut
02-18-2009, 12:46 PM
If you had dogs, why did you need to hire someone else to fertilize the lawn?

Maybe he has some of those dogs that don't crap all over the place. Litter box dogs, if you will.ROFL!

I know my German shepherd and Rottie **** more than they eat. I haven't figured out how it works, but it does.;)

HAT
02-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Screw the DNC list. What you guys need is youmail.com

Works just like your normal voicemail except you can upload your contacts and assign ANY outgoing greeting to any caller (or group of callers). You can record your own, upload .wav files or choose from 1000's of prerecorded ones.

Anytime I get a new telemarketing call, I simply add that number to my YM contact file and assign a 'ditchmail' greeting. I chose a fake VZ wireless "no longer in service" recording. After the msg plays you can set it to hang up so they can't leave a msg. Works great for bill collectors and ex's also.

Very customizable. My work contacts here "this is xxxx with xxxx company, leave a message" My friends here "leave a message asswipe" Chick here's "sorry I can't get to the phone baby...."

Also functions as visual voicemail using a browser, listen in any order, lots of storage....can have messages emailed to you as .wav files (great for when you get a crazy drunk dial...you can email it to all your buddies!)

One of the best utilities I've ever found online....And it's FREE!

Hotrod
02-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Screw the DNC list. What you guys need is youmail.com

Works just like your normal voicemail except you can upload your contacts and assign ANY outgoing greeting to any caller (or group of callers). You can record your own, upload .wav files or choose from 1000's of prerecorded ones.

Anytime I get a new telemarketing call, I simply add that number to my YM contact file and assign a 'ditchmail' greeting. I chose a fake VZ wireless "no longer in service" recording. After the msg plays you can set it to hang up so they can't leave a msg. Works great for bill collectors and ex's also.

Very customizable. My work contacts here "this is xxxx with xxxx company, leave a message" My friends here "leave a message asswipe" Chick here's "sorry I can't get to the phone baby...."

Also functions as visual voicemail using a browser, listen in any order, lots of storage....can have messages emailed to you as .wav files (great for when you get a crazy drunk dial...you can email it to all your buddies!)

One of the best utilities I've ever found online....And it's FREE!

I feel like I was just solicited on the OM ;)

HAT
02-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Hahaha....Not at all Dortoh. Not affiliated in anyway whatsoever. The FREE service just makes my life so much easier & I wanted to share.

I think it's ad supported if you choose to get email or txt msg notification but the ads are unobtrusive...don't think I've even noticed them.

Hotrod
02-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Hahaha....Not at all Dortoh. Not affiliated in anyway whatsoever. The FREE service just makes my life so much easier & I wanted to share.

I think it's ad supported if you choose to get email or txt msg notification but the ads are unobtrusive...don't think I've even noticed them.

Yea it actually sounds really cool I'll check it out.

MVP-06
02-18-2009, 01:32 PM

all i know is that I haven't had any calls. I put my # on the list b/c I don't have the time to be interrupted at work with someone trying to sell me some grocery membership or whatever

Crushaholic
02-18-2009, 02:25 PM
I open and close my phone, hanging up on the telemarketers without saying a word. I've been good at picking out the numbers that are legitimate and ones that want to sell me something. I used to just let it go to voicemail, but I would have to erase that meaningless recording about some car warranty. That's entirely too much work...

UberBroncoMan
02-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Special Olympics keeps calling me... I volunteered for it like 7 years ago in another country, and they won't let me be!

Kaylore
02-18-2009, 02:36 PM
all i know is that I haven't had any calls. I put my # on the list b/c I don't have the time to be interrupted at work with someone trying to sell me some grocery membership or whatever

I know. I don't think anyone is saying the do not call list doesn't work. What was false about the chain letter is that telemarketers are magically going to have access to your number and that if you don't sign up for it you will be called endlessly for five years. Beantown pointing this out doesn't make him a telemarketer either.

Hotrod
02-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Special Olympics keeps calling me... I volunteered for it like 7 years ago in another country, and they won't let me be!

Did you win any medals???

;)