PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Peppers Getting Tagged?

rugbythug
02-18-2009, 07:33 AM
With both Peppers and Jordan Gross ready for free agency. What are the odds they get the deal done with Gross so that they can tag Peppers. Keep in mind that Tagging Peppers is going to be a 16+ million dollar cap hit to a team that is already up against it. Peppers has already stated multiple times he is ready for a new team.

montrose
02-18-2009, 07:44 AM
I recall reading they're close with resigning Gross, if so they'll then tag Peppers. Their ability to tag Peppers hinges heavily on the resigning of Gross and ensuing clearing of cap money to place the tag on Peppers.

socalorado
02-18-2009, 07:47 AM
I am more interest in Otogwe getting tagged myself. I cant believe hes made it this far. Just one more day to go.

Inkana7
02-18-2009, 11:20 AM
If Carolina lets go of a 26 year old Pro Bowl LT, they deserve to lose every game next year.

Kaylore
02-18-2009, 11:22 AM
I voted no purely based on the word "loose" in the options.

Man-Goblin
02-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Thank god this poll is public.

TheReverend
02-18-2009, 11:39 AM
>10% of total cap on 1 year rental of 1 single player = stupid.

Kaylore
02-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Thank god this poll is public.

What's going to be funny is if he isn't tagged and then Denver doesn't pursue him. That will raise a hell storm.

TheReverend
02-18-2009, 11:44 AM
What's going to be funny is if he isn't tagged and then Denver doesn't pursue him. That will raise a hell storm.

Which I don't understand. I don't think he'll be tagged and I don't think Den should pursue him. Oh well.

Man-Goblin
02-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Julius Peppers will be tagged but he will not play for the Panthers or the Broncos next year. How about that??

BroncoBuff
02-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Here's a bit of news on him today ....

Source: Only 4 teams on Peppers' trade list

Carolina Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers will agree to be traded to only four teams, three of them in the NFC, a source said.

Two are teams the Panthers will not want to trade him to, the source said.
This implies that the two teams are in the NFC South, the division in which the Panthers play.

The source also says that there are issues that could impede a trade to the other two teams such as compensation for the Panthers and potential contract problems for Peppers.

In other words, the teams might not have a high first-round pick to offer Carolina, and might not have the money to pay Peppers.

The Panthers have until 4 p.m. Thursday to apply their franchise tag to Peppers or Jordan Gross, a move that would prevent the player from becoming an unrestricted free agent and bind him to Carolina for another season.

Peppers, obviously, does not want the tag applied to him, which would free him to negotiate his own deal with a prospective suitor. The Panthers, however, would receive nothing in return if he is not tagged.

- Tom Sorensen

BroncoBuff
02-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Julius Peppers will be tagged but he will not play for the Panthers or the Broncos next year. How about that??

Actually, that's a fairly likely scenario.

chaz
02-18-2009, 11:50 AM
I think they get it done...not getting some top picks is a big loss...they'll get creative

JCMElway
02-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Why are they going to loose players? Are they tightly confined now?

BroncoMan4ever
02-18-2009, 12:16 PM
from what i have heard they are close to signing Gross. so i think Peppers will be tagged. no way are they going to let him go for nothing in return.

broncofan2438
02-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Peppers in orange and blue would be sweet

backup qb
02-18-2009, 01:59 PM
what makes people so sure he can play in a 3-4 at age 29?

Inkana7
02-18-2009, 02:05 PM
what makes people so sure he can play in a 3-4 at age 29?

What does being 29 have to do with playing in a 3-4?

Peppers is one hell of an athlete. Especially for a 280 pounder.

cmhargrove
02-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Peppers in orange and blue would be sweet

I have been a huge supporter of getting Peppers, until recently. I thought he was going to hit the open market, so it was a money issue. If they tag him,, it is a break the bank salary + draft picks. i just don't know that he's worth it.

I would no rather see us go the "Miami" route where we find guys to fit schemes while we replace via the draft.

Peppers is just going to cost too much. I think we would be better off just outright trying to trade a first or second round pick to another player already under contract.

backup qb
02-18-2009, 02:22 PM
What does being 29 have to do with playing in a 3-4?

Peppers is one hell of an athlete. Especially for a 280 pounder.

for one, loss of speed to play in space due to advancing age/wear and tear. two, does he have lateral ability toplay in space? that too deteriorates with age. i'm just not sure i break the bank for a 29 yr old dlinemen. the legs start to go

Inkana7
02-18-2009, 02:24 PM
for one, loss of speed to play in space due to advancing age/wear and tear. two, does he have lateral ability toplay in space? that too deteriorates with age. i'm just not sure i break the bank for a 29 yr old dlinemen. the legs start to go

At 29? He's not a running back. Big D-Linemen can play well into their 30s at a high level.

DBroncos4life
02-18-2009, 03:58 PM

LOL have you seen the age of LBs starting in a 3-4. The Pats LBs have been carbon dated back to the Jurassic period.

James Harrison MVP was 30 this year.