PDA

View Full Version : D.J.'s new deal helps with cap

SouthStndJunkie
02-18-2009, 12:43 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11726624

D.J.'s new deal helps with cap

ZONA
02-18-2009, 12:47 AM
Nice. Keeping a solid LB and one less position to fill on defense now that there are sooooooooo many to fill.

This was a win win. Good for him. Good for the team.

JCMElway
02-18-2009, 12:53 AM
whew.

Florida_Bronco
02-18-2009, 12:59 AM
That was fast.

s0phr0syne
02-18-2009, 01:08 AM
Well, DJ didn't follow SoCal's business advice. Hmph.

SoCalBronco
02-18-2009, 01:10 AM
Well, DJ didn't follow SoCal's business advice. Hmph.

Sure he did. He did not agree to reduce the value of his contract or backload it in any way. Everything stayed the same. No reductions, no backloading, just prorating a 4.5 million payment over 5 years on paper, rather than 1 year on paper. The payment will still be made in lump sum. He didn't give up a single penny either through an express reduction/conversion into incentives or through backloading which is what I wanted because it was what was fair.

montrose
02-18-2009, 01:53 AM
Glad to hear it. With his bonus now spread through the remainder of the contract, if anything - this further locks DJ in as a long-term guy here. Right?

Atwater His Ass
02-18-2009, 01:54 AM
Good. DJ deserves his current contract and is our best front 7 player. Glad they got this worked out.

eddie mac
02-18-2009, 02:24 AM
This doesn't make any sense at all unless Bowlen is prepared to spend over $30m in cap this season. The cash payable this year in that deal does not change.

Let's hope so.

bpc
02-18-2009, 02:27 AM
I guess we'll find out shortly. When does FA start?

montrose
02-18-2009, 02:37 AM
This doesn't make any sense at all unless Bowlen is prepared to spend over $30m in cap this season. The cash payable this year in that deal does not change.

Let's hope so.

Sounds like that's what they're planning to do. In a year when many owners are going to be tight with their wallets, maybe Pat and Joe Ellis have given Xanders a substantial cash budget to work with this season. I don't think this means we're looking to splurge on one guy necessarily, but I expect to see us bringing in a healthy number of 3-4 veterans. If we can find possible starters at two DL positions, at least one LB spot, CB and one S spot - we're in good shape heading into the draft to fill the other needs and find guys to compete for the previously mentioned positions.

With that, these past few days moves have made me realize how lucky we are to be getting away with have such a good offense so cheap. A portion of the cap room and actual cash flow has to be allocated towards keeping that unit together.

BroncoMan4ever
02-18-2009, 04:20 AM
Sounds like that's what they're planning to do. In a year when many owners are going to be tight with their wallets, maybe Pat and Joe Ellis have given Xanders a substantial cash budget to work with this season. I don't think this means we're looking to splurge on one guy necessarily, but I expect to see us bringing in a healthy number of 3-4 veterans. If we can find possible starters at two DL positions, at least one LB spot, CB and one S spot - we're in good shape heading into the draft to fill the other needs and find guys to compete for the previously mentioned positions.

With that, these past few days moves have made me realize how lucky we are to be getting away with have such a good offense so cheap. A portion of the cap room and actual cash flow has to be allocated towards keeping that unit together.

that is why we are dumping these contracts now. get the dead money out of the way, build up the amount of available cap we have so that we can re-sign our own group of core guys instead of having to replace guys every year.

cmhargrove
02-18-2009, 06:59 AM
As per the article, it will be very interesting to see if Boss escapes the axe.

If they are willing to part ways with Bly (without substantial savings), and Boss hasn't proven to be a very stout SAM, I don't know how he figures as a tough SOLB. I don't even know if he will ever be healthy enough to play.

I guess we'll find out a lot in the next month.

Killericon
02-18-2009, 07:07 AM
Besides Williams' revised deal, the agents for center Casey Wiegmann and wide receiver Brandon Marshall are hoping the Broncos will be amenable to discussing contract extensions this week in Indianapolis. Wiegmann, who is to receive the veteran minimum $845,000 salary in 2009, and Marshall, who is scheduled to make $2.2 million, are in the final years of their contracts.

Awesome.

yerner
02-18-2009, 07:23 AM
I wonder if Hamilton is being asked to restructure. I think his money is over 4 mill this year.

That One Guy
02-18-2009, 07:25 AM
Isn't there something that says they can't prorate money from this year into the uncapped years?

Kaylore
02-18-2009, 07:47 AM
Sure he did. He did not agree to reduce the value of his contract or backload it in any way. Everything stayed the same. No reductions, no backloading, just prorating a 4.5 million payment over 5 years on paper, rather than 1 year on paper. The payment will still be made in lump sum. He didn't give up a single penny either through an express reduction/conversion into incentives or through backloading which is what I wanted because it was what was fair.

Aren't you happy? It appears they had no intention of moving DJ and just wanted to get some of the cap room freed up. They're obviously going to be players in free agency, and this just means DJ gets paid more. Win-win.

RunSilentRunDeep
02-18-2009, 08:23 AM
I'm stunned. With the economy, declining ad revenue and mostly likely weaker concession sales I thought Bowlen was going to tighten up. This move makes no sense unless he's got big-ticket plans (Haynesworth? Peppers?).

Rohirrim
02-18-2009, 08:28 AM
Well, that's good news. Glad to see DJ staying on board.

crazyhorse
02-18-2009, 08:29 AM

2/27

Drek
02-18-2009, 08:35 AM
I'm stunned. With the economy, declining ad revenue and mostly likely weaker concession sales I thought Bowlen was going to tighten up. This move makes no sense unless he's got big-ticket plans (Haynesworth? Peppers?).

It doesn't mean they have big ticket guys in mind, just that they plan to overhaul the entire defense and don't want to do it on the cheap.

I like it, there are some good 3-4 options out there we can snap up to move forward with. Chris Canty would be an excellent addition for example. And with how much money the Cards are forking over to a now tagged Karlos Dansby and resigning Warner it seems very possible that their rotational NT Gabe Watson might hit the market without too huge of a RFA tender attached. Some good buying options will be available in this market.

ohiobronco2
02-18-2009, 09:09 AM
DJ is the man. Willing to sacrifice for the team, time after time.

HILife
02-18-2009, 09:18 AM

Feb 27th

cutthemdown
02-18-2009, 09:19 AM

Let's hope so.

So when I said he would be asked to restructure I was right. I was also right that not all of his bonus money was gauranteed because roster bonuses you only get if you are on the team.

Broncos clearing cap room without clearing how much money they are giving upfront does seem to indicate they plan on spending this offseason.

Since DJ money was tied to being on team they may have cut him had he refused to renegotiate. Smart move on DJS part because I doubt he would get more then that on the market.

socalorado
02-18-2009, 09:19 AM
It doesn't mean they have big ticket guys in mind, just that they plan to overhaul the entire defense and don't want to do it on the cheap.

I like it, there are some good 3-4 options out there we can snap up to move forward with. Chris Canty would be an excellent addition for example. And with how much money the Cards are forking over to a now tagged Karlos Dansby and resigning Warner it seems very possible that their rotational NT Gabe Watson might hit the market without too huge of a RFA tender attached. Some good buying options will be available in this market.

I was thinking about this last night when i saw Dansby was franchised.
So would a 3rd rounder be enough to get Watson outta ARI? Initially, i thought that the very least they would part ways with him for would be a
2nd, but now, i think maybe a 3rd would work. What do you think?
Also, can you believe that Otogwe has still not been franchised?!?!

SoDak Bronco
02-18-2009, 09:23 AM

He's not sacrifcing anything..didn't you read the article

Kaylore
02-18-2009, 09:30 AM
So when I said he would be asked to restructure I was right. I was also right that not all of his bonus money was gauranteed because roster bonuses you only get if you are on the team.

Broncos clearing cap room without clearing how much money they are giving upfront does seem to indicate they plan on spending this offseason.

Since DJ money was tied to being on team they may have cut him had he refused to renegotiate. Smart move on DJS part because I doubt he would get more then that on the market.

He didn't take a pay cut so there was no reason to say no to a restructure. This was a language issue, not a player value issue.

montrose
02-18-2009, 09:33 AM
He didn't take a pay cut so there was no reason to say no to a restructure. This was a language issue, not a player value issue.

If anything, I'd imagine DJ was thrilled to do this as he still got his money yet his contract seems more secure now - at least to me.

cutthemdown
02-18-2009, 09:38 AM

this was a cap issue though. He had argued DJ could not be cut because we gave him to much guaranteed money. I understood it as though he had a roster bonus coming due which meant he could be cut and save money.

My point was DJ would restructure rather then get cut and it looks like that may be the case.

With all the room Broncos are clearing I'm sort of thinking the go after someone big like Peppers.

ohiobronco2
02-18-2009, 09:40 AM
He's not sacrifcing anything..didn't you read the article

You're right. He's not sacrificing, but his deal is helping both the team and himself (guaranteed money). My point is the guy has always been willing to do whatever it takes for this team. He is consistently changing positions.

gyldenlove
02-18-2009, 09:49 AM
DJ actually secured his position with the team, but converting his bonus to signing bonus he is a lot harder to trade or cut since the bonus would count towards the cap.

Kaylore
02-18-2009, 09:54 AM
this was a cap issue though. He had argued DJ could not be cut because we gave him to much guaranteed money. I understood it as though he had a roster bonus coming due which meant he could be cut and save money.

My point was DJ would restructure rather then get cut and it looks like that may be the case.

With all the room Broncos are clearing I'm sort of thinking the go after someone big like Peppers.
It appears we're going for at least one big name and maybe a few more decent sized names. I'm not convinced we get Peppers. Carolina still has until midnight tonight to tag him. But I agree we're definitely going to look different.

DJ is in his prime and has a new contract. There are a lot of teams that would love him on the team. He is one of the least likely players to get cut on defense. If they were going to get rid of him it would be through a trade.

cutthemdown
02-18-2009, 09:56 AM
DJ actually secured his position with the team, but converting his bonus to signing bonus he is a lot harder to trade or cut since the bonus would count towards the cap.

exactly before though we could have cut him. I'm only challenging the assumption that we really know what everyones contract is. EddieMac follows that stuff pretty hard from what I understand and he got it wrong. When DJ signed his deal it was reported he got 13 mil guaranteed. Turns out only the original 2.4 million signing bonus was guaranteed. The rest looks like it was roster bonuses which aren't unless you are on the team.

In any even with all the money Broncos had cleared, then doing a move meant to clear more cap space is a good sign.

SoDak Bronco
02-18-2009, 09:57 AM
So after tonight at Midnight, if a FA isn't tagged or resigned they are open to bring in next week? (if not re-sined by then)

cutthemdown
02-18-2009, 09:58 AM
It appears we're going for at least one big name and maybe a few more decent sized names. I'm not convinced we get Peppers. Carolina still has until midnight tonight to tag him. But I agree we're definitely going to look different.

DJ is in his prime and has a new contract. There are a lot of teams that would love him on the team. He is one of the least likely players to get cut on defense. If they were going to get rid of him it would be through a trade.

when do Raiders tag Asomusha? I mean they have to tag him, letting him walk would be outright lunacy!!.

If Oakland doesn't tag him Asomugha should be at least considered. Young, great player, premium position, what's not to like?

TheReverend
02-18-2009, 10:00 AM

Atogwe
Suggs/Scott (whichever hits the market)
McFadden/Nnamdi (too much money wrapped in corner? redicules!)
Canty

HILife
02-18-2009, 10:00 AM

DJ didn't sacrifice anything. He's getting paid all his money it's just being prorated over several years for cap reasons. He's still going to get his money. Damn, why didn't I play football instead basketball.

Kaylore
02-18-2009, 10:02 AM
when do Raiders tag Asomusha? I mean they have to tag him, letting him walk would be outright lunacy!!.

If Oakland doesn't tag him Asomugha should be at least considered. Young, great player, premium position, what's not to like?

They can't. His agent made the Raiders put in his contract last season that he would not be tagged again. Even if not, they wouldn't be able to afford it because the tag mandates you get the average of the top 5 players or 120% more than your last contract, whichever is greater. He got the average of the top five last year already, so the next highest would be 120% more on that. That's a ton of coin. He's a free agent, my friend.

HILife
02-18-2009, 10:05 AM

they still have until the Feb 19. If by Feb 20th 00:00 hours he is not tagged keep a look out for a old fashion Oakland/LA riot

Edit: Based on the information provided in the post above mine. Expect the Riot to happen on Feb 27th 00:00 if he's not signed by then.

gyldenlove
02-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Atogwe
Canty

Suggs got tagged yesterday so Scott and Lewis are hitting the market.

Kaylore
02-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Atogwe
Canty
Here is the link
http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/02/pancaked_baltimore_will_block.html

TheReverend
02-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Suggs got tagged yesterday so Scott and Lewis are hitting the market.

Son of a bitch.

I actually focus at work one day out of the year and this **** happens.

Thanks gylden

cutthemdown
02-18-2009, 10:07 AM
They can't. His agent made the Raiders put in his contract last season that he would not be tagged this time. He's a free agent, my friend.

Wow Kaylore they were really stupid. I didn't know he had the same clause as Haynesworth.

Raider fans would be so pissed if Broncos got him. Front 7 more important but damn Asomugha is good. He would make Bailey the number 2 cb, hes that young, and that good.

I wonder if Broncos could get really sneaky and sign Asomugha, draft a CB, trade Bailey.

Who knows this new regime may not consider Bailey worth the money hes making anymore. Crazy talk I know but things they are a changing.

cutthemdown
02-18-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm with Rev we don't need to worry about anything but adding talent that will start at defense. If the top end talent ends up Asomugha you wont see me complain. In the end we have to fill some spots through the draft over next 2 yrs. It will be a mix of FA and rookies so why not sign Aso?

He's by far the youngest best FA in the pool, IMO.

gyldenlove
02-18-2009, 10:09 AM
exactly before though we could have cut him. I'm only challenging the assumption that we really know what everyones contract is. EddieMac follows that stuff pretty hard from what I understand and he got it wrong. When DJ signed his deal it was reported he got 13 mil guaranteed. Turns out only the original 2.4 million signing bonus was guaranteed. The rest looks like it was roster bonuses which aren't unless you are on the team.

In any even with all the money Broncos had cleared, then doing a move meant to clear more cap space is a good sign.

Roster bonuses can be guaranteed.

It is not well known, but some players have guarantees for skill and or injury in their contracts. Essentially when we signed DJ we told him, we are only giving you 2.4 million signing bonus, but we will put up roster bonus of 4 million next year guaranteed for skill (which means we can only avoid paying him if he gets injured and we cut him). It is a way to avoid getting stuck with a large prorated bonus if a player gets injured and retires or is traded.

Imagine the Mike Vick situation, he had about 30 odd million in signing bonus, if they had given him 5 million dollar roster bonus every year guaranteed for injury and skill, they would still have to pay him if he got injured and cut or if they just got tired of him, but if he got arrested they wouldn't have to carry his bonus on the cap.

It is used a lot more than people know as a way to save cash, instead of paying the signing bonus in one lump sum it is divided out as guaranteed payments over a couple of years. Typically there is a understanding that these bonuses will be turned into signing bonuses for cap reasons when they are due.

montrose
02-18-2009, 10:10 AM

I know we should have learned our lesson that wrapping up money in the CB position is unwise, but I salivate at the though of adding a great all-round player like Nnamdi. He and Champ would an incredible tandem and if the Broncos could simply get to having an average pass-rush/blitz it would be fun to watch. I doubt it will happen, but it's fun to think about.

DJ didn't sacrifice anything. He's getting paid all his money it's just being prorated over several years for cap reasons. He's still going to get his money.

He certainly didn't here but you can't question is commitment to the Broncos over the length of his career here. That dude has switched positions almost annually without a peep and played late last year on a bum knee with one shoulder. To me, DJ is a great example of the 21st century team player. I'm glad McDaniels and Xander want him around long-term.

cutthemdown
02-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Roster bonuses can be guaranteed.

It is not well known, but some players have guarantees for skill and or injury in their contracts. Essentially when we signed DJ we told him, we are only giving you 2.4 million signing bonus, but we will put up roster bonus of 4 million next year guaranteed for skill (which means we can only avoid paying him if he gets injured and we cut him). It is a way to avoid getting stuck with a large prorated bonus if a player gets injured and retires or is traded.

Imagine the Mike Vick situation, he had about 30 odd million in signing bonus, if they had given him 5 million dollar roster bonus every year guaranteed for injury and skill, they would still have to pay him if he got injured and cut or if they just got tired of him, but if he got arrested they wouldn't have to carry his bonus on the cap.

It is used a lot more than people know as a way to save cash, instead of paying the signing bonus in one lump sum it is divided out as guaranteed payments over a couple of years. Typically there is a understanding that these bonuses will be turned into signing bonuses for cap reasons when they are due.

if thats the case then my apologies. My point is unless you see the contract we really dont know. A lot of times what is reported in the deal turns out to not be true.

If the roster bonus was guaranteed like you say then Broncos hands were tied.

It's all good though DJ was the best of the bunch at linebacker so no reason to get rid of him. Boss Bailey, well, I wish he would just go.

TheReverend
02-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Here is the link
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/ravens/2008-02-19-suggs-franchise_N.htm

Sweet link from 2008.

Tip offs:
"Ravens place franchise tag on LB Terrell Suggs
Updated 2/19/2008 4:30 PM "

"While cleaning out his locker Dec. 31 after coach Brian Billick was fired, Suggs expressed hope that he would be remain in Baltimore."

cutthemdown
02-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Like I said if I can choose between Peppers or Haynesworth I will take them over Aso. But if it's between no one big and Aso i say go for it. Broncos need great players to build around period.

Kaylore
02-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Wow Kaylore they were really stupid.
http://www.davesfootballblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/ackaldavis.jpg

I didn't know he had the same clause as Haynesworth.

Raider fans would be so pissed if Broncos got him. Front 7 more important but damn Asomugha is good. He would make Bailey the number 2 cb, hes that young, and that good.
I could see us making a run at him. The problem is a lot of teams will and he'll want to go to a really good team that appears close to a Super Bowl. I don't think we'll be able to afford him.

I wonder if Broncos could get really sneaky and sign Asomugha, draft a CB, trade Bailey.
That's unlikely, but anything is possible. I'd be pissed.

~Crash~
02-18-2009, 10:14 AM

February 18-24 -- NFL Scouting Combine, Indianapolis, Indiana.

February 19 -- Deadline for clubs to designate franchise and transition players.

February 26 -- Deadline for submission of qualifying offers by clubs to their restricted free agents whose contracts have expired and to whom they desire to retain a right of first refusal/compensation.

February 26 -- Deadline for clubs to submit offer of minimum salary to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with fewer than three seasons of free agency credit whose contracts have expired.

February 27 -- Veteran free agency signing period begins.

February 27 -- Trading period begins.

March 22-25 -- NFL Annual Meeting, Dana Point, California.

April 17 -- Signing period ends for restricted free agents.

April 24 -- Deadline for old club to exercise right of first refusal to restricted free agents.

April 25-26 -- NFL Draft, New York City.

May 18-20 -- NFL Spring Meeting, Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

June 1 -- Deadline for old clubs to send tender to unsigned unrestricted free agents to receive exclusive negotiating rights for rest of season if player is not signed by another club by July 22.

June 1 -- Deadline for old clubs to send tender to unsigned restricted free agents or to extend qualifying offer to retain exclusive negotiating rights.

June 15 -- Deadline for old clubs to withdraw original qualifying offer to unsigned restricted free agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting tender of 110 percent of previous year’s salary.

June 28-July 1 -- NFL Rookie Symposium, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.

Mid-July -- Training camps open.

July 22 -- Signing period ends at 4:00 PM ET for unrestricted free agents who received June 1 tender.

Kaylore
02-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Sweet link from 2008.

Tip offs:
"Ravens place franchise tag on LB Terrell Suggs
Updated 2/19/2008 4:30 PM "

"While cleaning out his locker Dec. 31 after coach Brian Billick was fired, Suggs expressed hope that he would be remain in Baltimore."

http://www.realfreewebsites.com/blog/img/fail2.jpg

I'll fix it.

montrose
02-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Like I said if I can choose between Peppers or Haynesworth I will take them over Aso. But if it's between no one big and Aso i say go for it. Broncos need great players to build around period.

The problem is we'd have to bid so high to get Nnamdi to come here. Our only hope would be if he'd have a desire to play with Champ. Other than that, why would he go to a worse defense than he's already been on without a proven pass rush? The only way we land a guy like him is by outbidding the field. I will say, he'd secure the CB spot long-term by pairing with Champ for the next 1-2 seasons, then the team could part with Champ or experiment with moving him to the S position but know they've got Nnamdi at the spot. With that, I just doubt they'll go that direction at this time and prefer to use their money to bring as many defensive free agents than they can. Quantity over quality somewhat.

TheReverend
02-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Suggs hasn't been tagged yet you tards.

Kaylore
02-18-2009, 10:21 AM

He will be if they can't make it happen. In fact both he and Peppers will be I guess. The large amount of cap room means teams don't let good players go anymore.

montrose
02-18-2009, 10:22 AM

Correct, Ozzie said they'll tag him if they can't get him resigned by the deadline but he hasn't been tagged yet.

TheReverend
02-18-2009, 10:28 AM
He will be if they can't make it happen. In fact both he and Peppers will be I guess. The large amount of cap room means teams don't let good players go anymore.

I'll believe it when I see it. ESPECIALLY Peppers. Suggs will probably get his longterm deal done tonight or tomorrow morning. If Carolina tags Peppers for 40 gagillion dollars a game and Gross walks, they deserve to get shot.

The only "will be tagged" I'll trust at the moment is Dansby.

gyldenlove
02-18-2009, 10:28 AM

I am still not sure Peppers gets tagged, I just don't think they have the stones to risk losing Gross. With the recent run on offensive tackles I am not sure they would risk losing a player then want to keep over a player they know won't come back anyway.

cutthemdown
02-18-2009, 10:30 AM
The problem is we'd have to bid so high to get Nnamdi to come here. Our only hope would be if he'd have a desire to play with Champ. Other than that, why would he go to a worse defense than he's already been on without a proven pass rush? The only way we land a guy like him is by outbidding the field. I will say, he'd secure the CB spot long-term by pairing with Champ for the next 1-2 seasons, then the team could part with Champ or experiment with moving him to the S position but know they've got Nnamdi at the spot. With that, I just doubt they'll go that direction at this time and prefer to use their money to bring as many defensive free agents than they can. Quantity over quality somewhat.

Really it would only make since if Broncos wanted to trade Bailey. If you could give Bailey's money to Aso, get a 2nd round pick for Bailey, that would IMO be a very creative move.

I know hard to pull off, maybe impossible.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Please no Nnamdi. PLEASE! Nothing against him, he's a great player, but why do we want to continue the same failed policy (god, it feels like im talking politics now). We need a talented front seven to neutralize a run game and put consisent pressure on the passer. All good defensive teams start up front. Nnamdi, champ, whoever, cannot cover guys all day. A good front seven can mask a mediocre coverage unit, not the other way around. I dont know how many times i can say this, im a broken record

cutthemdown
02-18-2009, 10:36 AM
Please no Nnamdi. PLEASE! Nothing against him, he's a great player, but why do we want to continue the same failed policy (god, it feels like im talking politics now). We need a talented front seven to neutralize a run game and put consisent pressure on the passer. All good defensive teams start up front. Nnamdi, champ, whoever, cannot cover guys all day. A good front seven can mask a mediocre coverage unit, not the other way around. I dont know how many times i can say this, im a broken record

You're missing the point overall either because you didn't read everything or like you said you are a broken record.

Let's say you can't get a deal done with any of the front 7 FA that are big names. If it came down to Aso or no one who would you rather have the money? Bowlen?

As fans we can do hypothetical situations all day long but the GM gets to talk to the agents and other GMS. He gets to hear things like maybe Haynesworth doesn't like Denver and would only use the teams interest to boost his money elsewhere. Or maybe Peppers really likes Denver and hopes you ask for an interview etc. Or Aso loves the idea of playing with Bailey etc etc.

Somethings you just cant pass on. Really special players are one of those things. If Aso is interested in Denver, the Broncos should give him a look because hes special and really probably they best corner in the game.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-18-2009, 10:40 AM
You're missing the point overall either because you didn't read everything or like you said you are a broken record.

Let's say you can't get a deal done with any of the front 7 FA that are big names. If it came down to Aso or no one who would you rather have the money? Bowlen?

As fans we can do hypothetical situations all day long but the GM gets to talk to the agents and other GMS. He gets to hear things like maybe Haynesworth doesn't like Denver and would only use the teams interest to boost his money elsewhere. Or maybe Peppers really likes Denver and hopes you ask for an interview etc. Or Aso loves the idea of playing with Bailey etc etc.

Somethings you just cant pass on. Really special players are one of those things. If Aso is interested in Denver, the Broncos should give him a look because hes special and really probably they best corner in the game.

Then I'd rather save the money or spread it out between many front seven guys if it meant we couldnt get a stud. I dont want to tie up a lot of money in one cornerback. It just doesnt make any sense to me.

TheReverend
02-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Then I'd rather save the money or spread it out between many front seven guys if it meant we couldnt get a stud. I dont want to tie up a lot of money in one cornerback. It just doesnt make any sense to me.

We're going to spend money on a vet corner this off-season. There's no way around it. Might as well throw a few mill more per year to get the top tier guy, and Atogwe while we're at it.

Albert and Peppers aren't worth their price tag for the inevitable 34 anyways.

That leaves roughly ten draft picks to lob at the front seven. Rey in the first fixes our linebackers, Brace solidifies the nose, and then another slew of 2nd day picks to lob at more hogs and edge rushers.

montrose
02-18-2009, 10:55 AM
We're going to spend money on a vet corner this off-season. There's no way around it. Might as well throw a few mill more per year to get the top tier guy, and Atogwe while we're at it.

That leaves roughly ten draft picks to lob at the front seven. Rey in the first fixes our linebackers, Brace solidifies the nose, and then another slew of 2nd day picks to lob at more hogs and edge rushers.

God that would own so much. Could you imagine an offseason with Nnamdi Asomugha and Oshiomogho Atogwe (not mention we'd have the craziest-to-pronounce secondary around) as the chief signings, Mike Wright and Tully Banta-Cain as the cheaper signings, Maualuga or Cushing in the 1st and Brace in the 2nd?

DE: Wright
NT: Brace
DE: Thomas
WOLB: Doom
WILB: DJ
SILB: Maualuga or Larsen
SOLB: Cushing or Banta-Cain
CB: Champ
CB: Nnamdi
FS: Atogwe
SS: Barrett

It might be a pipe dream, but it's fun to dream.

BroncoBuff
02-18-2009, 11:05 AM
This is great ... it's actually better for Williams AND the cap. ^5

SonOfLe-loLang
02-18-2009, 11:14 AM

Spend money on a vet corner, im not suggesting we let just ANYONE play it, but having to elite corners makes zero sense if you have no pass rush. Just look at the super bowl teams over the years...they get by without elite corners because they have very strong front sevens.

TheReverend
02-18-2009, 11:57 AM
God that would own so much. Could you imagine an offseason with Nnamdi Asomugha and Oshiomogho Atogwe (not mention we'd have the craziest-to-pronounce secondary around) as the chief signings, Mike Wright and Tully Banta-Cain as the cheaper signings, Maualuga or Cushing in the 1st and Brace in the 2nd?

DE: Wright
NT: Brace
DE: Thomas
WOLB: Doom
WILB: DJ
SILB: Maualuga or Larsen
SOLB: Cushing or Banta-Cain
CB: Champ
CB: Nnamdi
FS: Atogwe
SS: Barrett

It might be a pipe dream, but it's fun to dream.

Don't forget to take note that that's also discounting any draft picks after day one able to make an immediate impact, or lower current depth chart players coming on.

Also, that configuration turns out damn well in a 4-3 look, as well.

montrose
02-18-2009, 12:03 PM
Don't forget to take note that that's also discounting any draft picks after day one able to make an immediate impact, or lower current depth chart players coming on.

Absolutely. Imagine how nice it would be if Powell and Crowder can become adequate depth at DE and/or Moss could provide depth at WOLB.

Also, that configuration turns out damn well in a 4-3 look, as well.

It does, which is important as Nolan's scheme is pretty similar to a 4-3 with the WOLB as a near exclusive pass-rusher and without a ton of exotic blitzing from the other players.

Malcontent
02-18-2009, 02:17 PM
If anything, I'd imagine DJ was thrilled to do this as he still got his money yet his contract seems more secure now - at least to me.

I dont understand whey DJs contract wouldnt be set up like this in the 1st place?

montrose
02-18-2009, 02:36 PM
I dont understand whey DJs contract wouldnt be set up like this in the 1st place?

At the time Xanders put together DJ's new deal, we didn't know we'd be changing coaches and it was put together with the idea of clearing the cap hit out of the way early so money would be available to keep the offense intact in the long run. At the time, Xanders didn't know the organization would be blown up and need a lot of cap space the next year.

crazyhorse
02-18-2009, 03:48 PM
For those ready to spend big money on a corner, haven't you figured out yet that you have to build the line 1st? You've had a good corner, yet one of the worst defenses. The good defenses have great D lines. High dollar corners are gravy. You need some meat 1st. You would have to be pretty pig headed to want to go back to the same crap you've had.

cutthemdown
02-18-2009, 04:08 PM
For those ready to spend big money on a corner, haven't you figured out yet that you have to build the line 1st? You've had a good corner, yet one of the worst defenses. The good defenses have great D lines. High dollar corners are gravy. You need some meat 1st. You would have to be pretty pig headed to want to go back to the same crap you've had.

Cmon we want the Aso, Peppers and Haynesworth we are fans remember?

Get the beef upfront if you can, but by all means at least add some good players. If you miss out on the front 7 guys like we did Kerney etc then move on to safety, corner, anything but the scrubs we had last yr.

My point was more that you only have a shot at the players who would like to live and play in Denver Colorado. For some east coast guys that isn't an option.

My thing with Aso is that he probably wouldn't mind Denver, he's a west coast guy. I'm not sure about Haynesworth I think he just wants whoever will pay him the most.

Obviously not so with Peppers but it seems he likes Denver so maybe.

If I had my choice of FA it would be Peppers, but Aso is a great football player, no way a team gets worst signing Asomugha. He's a super talented football player.