PDA

View Full Version : More Cuts Coming...

Broncoman13
02-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Broncos expected to have nearly $50m in cap room when all is said and done.

Some restructures expected. Belief is that Dre was approached about a restructure thus the delay.

Boss Bailey, Daniel Graham, and (surprise here) DJ Williams are not safe on this roster. If DJ goes SoCal will have an epic meltdown. I'm actually somewhat concerned for his well being at this point... or those around him (I kid). DJ will first be approached with a restructure. I hope he accepts!

Champ Bailey is the only one that is safe on defense right now. Expectation is 9 new starters on defense.

Unsure about Moss, Doom, and Ekuban.

All of this from Lombardi this evening.

My thoughts... we're going to be running a brand new system on defense, might as well clean the closet and start fresh. Sad that we possibly have two returning players from last year's squad. I'm not sure there are enough free agents out there to fill a roster at this point!!! lol

Some money will be put aside for the offensive guys coming due. BMarsh, Jay, Kupe, and Scheff will need new contracts soon. Personally, I say get BMarsh's done now and maybe you get a little bit of a break on total $$$ and you don't have to compete with him on the open market in a open cap year!!!

Garcia Bronco
02-17-2009, 09:38 PM
You can't throw out the baby with the bath water. They haven't even seen these guys on a football field in a practice.

broncofan2438
02-17-2009, 09:39 PM
dam

montrose
02-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Was Lombardi on NFL Network Oskie?

Broncoman13
02-17-2009, 09:44 PM
You can't throw out the baby with the bath water. They haven't even seen these guys on a football field in a practice.

Apparently if you can prove that the baby is not yours and that the baby isn't worth saving, Pat Bowlen is okay with it. It will certainly be interesting to see what kind of moves the Broncos make. $50m in cap room is a lot of money. Bowlen does not (DOES NOT!!!) have the cash on hand to pay out bonuses though. We won't spend to the cap this year, but we could still make a few big time signings. I'm guessing Bart Scott and Julius Peppers... if DJ doesn't restructure. If he does then it will be (gulp) Olshansky and Peppers. Don't kill the messenger, I hate Igor as much as any Bronco fan! Canty will get too much $$$ and Olshansky fills a big need.

Broncoman13
02-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Was Lombardi on NFL Network Oskie?

No, the fan

SureShot
02-17-2009, 09:45 PM
The Colonel is making me nervous.

DBroncos4life
02-17-2009, 09:49 PM
9 new starters huh? So much for next year.

yerner
02-17-2009, 09:50 PM
dear gawd, what is going on? i'll be bummed to see Graham or DJ go.

Garcia Bronco
02-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Apparently if you can prove that the baby is not yours and that the baby isn't worth saving, Pat Bowlen is okay with it. It will certainly be interesting to see what kind of moves the Broncos make. $50m in cap room is a lot of money. Bowlen does not (DOES NOT!!!) have the cash on hand to pay out bonuses though. We won't spend to the cap this year, but we could still make a few big time signings. I'm guessing Bart Scott and Julius Peppers... if DJ doesn't restructure. If he does then it will be (gulp) Olshansky and Peppers. Don't kill the messenger, I hate Igor as much as any Bronco fan! Canty will get too much $$$ and Olshansky fills a big need.

I think he'll do what beliehit did when he came to new england an sign a bunch of low end free agents.

Ironlung
02-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Time for some good ol accountability, if you don't play at a high level you're gone. I like it.

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 09:54 PM

Some restructures expected. Belief is that Dre was approached about a restructure thus the delay.

Boss Bailey, Daniel Graham, and (surprise here) DJ Williams are not safe on this roster. If DJ goes SoCal will have an epic meltdown. I'm actually somewhat concerned for his well being at this point... or those around him (I kid). DJ will first be approached with a restructure. I hope he accepts!

Champ Bailey is the only one that is safe on defense right now. Expectation is 9 new starters on defense.

My thoughts... we're going to be running a brand new system on defense, might as well clean the closet and start fresh. Sad that we possibly have two returning players from last year's squad. I'm not sure there are enough free agents out there to fill a roster at this point!!! lol

Some money will be put aside for the offensive guys coming due. BMarsh, Jay, Kupe, and Scheff will need new contracts soon. Personally, I say get BMarsh's done now and maybe you get a little bit of a break on total $$$ and you don't have to compete with him on the open market in a open cap year!!!

agreed.

also, we might get away with a little bit of a low offer. technically he produces like a top 5 receiver, but he still drops a lot of passes and has a couple questions regarding his hand. get it done now while we can still low ball him a little, instead of waiting a year and risk losing him to the lure of FA money and having to pay him as much as he is actually worth.

Hogan11
02-17-2009, 09:57 PM
I'll believe Igor Olshansky in a Broncos uniform when I actually lay eyes upon it, not until. No way that guy ends up in Denver.

snowspot66

The only Week 1 starters I would want back are Champ and DJ. Doom too though I don't think he started.

Broncoman13
I think he'll do what beliehit did when he came to new england an sign a bunch of low end free agents.

That's what I'm afraid of... But, I'm holding out hope for Peppers still! One player that can get 15+sacks and pressure consistently makes EVERYONE on the defense better. The LB's coverage suddenly improves. Safety and CB play improves. And as someone like Peppers draws the extra attention, opportunities open for the other guys to excel. I also expect the Broncos to bring in an aging McCallister for a look. He is a Nolan guy and we suddenly have a BIG need at CB.

Broncoman13
02-17-2009, 09:59 PM
I'll believe Igor Olshansky in a Broncos uniform when I actually lay eyes upon it, not until. No way that guy ends up in Denver.

I hope you're right. If he comes to Denver it would be pathetic. Our OL would hate it, that's for sure! Anything is possible though, new regime and he's looking to stick it to the Chargers.

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 10:00 PM

i hate players from the AFC West if they don't play in Denver, but once they put on the blue and orange, they become Broncos and the hatred fades, and once they get their first big play as a Bronco, the hatred is completely gone.

so if we do end up with Igor, i will be ok with it in time, plus he would fill a need.

also i can't see us going after Peppers. to get him more than likely it will require trading with Carolina, because they are going to franchise him. no way in hell will they just let him leave without getting anything for him. and the asking price for him will be way too high for just 1 guy, and then to sign him long term will be an unbelievably high contract.

DBroncos4life
02-17-2009, 10:00 PM
That's what I'm afraid of... But, I'm holding out hope for Peppers still! One player that can get 15+sacks and pressure consistently makes EVERYONE on the defense better. The LB's coverage suddenly improves. Safety and CB play improves. And as someone like Peppers draws the extra attention, opportunities open for the other guys to excel. I also expect the Broncos to bring in an aging McCallister for a look. He is a Nolan guy and we suddenly have a BIG need at CB.

I think McCallister is a target now as well. Still I hate cutting Bly. We don't save anymone by cutting him now and I would much rather see Bly, Bailey and McCallister as are starting three CBs.

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 10:02 PM
The only Week 1 starters I would want back are Champ and DJ. Doom too though I don't think he started.

Doom started all season. i would really like him to come back, as i truly think he could become a star as a 3-4 OLB pass rusher.

Hogan11
02-17-2009, 10:05 PM
I hope you're right. If he comes to Denver it would be pathetic. Our OL would hate it, that's for sure! Anything is possible though, new regime and he's looking to stick it to the Chargers.

Oh, if the numbers are right, he'll be in Denver, afterall, he's just a merc like the rest of these players no matter what they say publically. I just don't see it happening is all.

Broncos_OTM
02-17-2009, 10:06 PM
MCD and X are fools if they think everyone will restructure. for **** sakes we have to field a team with all the cuts they are making we might not even field a 6 man team.

MCD you cannot do this all in one year. you cannot expect to find talent in just one year.

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 10:06 PM

Boss is gone. Graham will probably restructure, because there is no chance in hell does he gets another deal like Shanahan gave him, and DJ, i imagine will also restructure, because he isn't really a great LB, awesome athlete, but just an ok LB, and he won't get another contract like his current one.

tsiguy96
02-17-2009, 10:09 PM
MCD and X are fools if they think everyone will restructure. for **** sakes we have to field a team with all the cuts they are making we might not even field a 6 man team.

MCD you cannot do this all in one year. you cannot expect to find talent in just one year.

dude, relax. none of us have any idea what hes actually planning. from what it looks, hes cutting the dead weight of the team and saving a ton of salary cap doing it so him and nolan can start over on defense. thats a good thing.

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 10:12 PM

why not? figure that, Champ, Thomas, Peterson(we need to re-sign him), Doom, and DJ are still starting next season. that means 6 new starters. it isn't out of the question we get 3-4 new starters in FA, and 2 or maybe 3 more in the draft, to fill out the starting lineup. add in that we will bring in some low end cheap FA for depth and the fact that we have 9 picks in the draft. and it isn't out of the question that the entire defense can be blown up and rebuilt in 1 offseason.

look at the Dolphins, they righted themselves in 1 year. it is the NFL and anything can happen.

Broncos_OTM
02-17-2009, 10:14 PM
dude, relax. none of us have any idea what hes actually planning. from what it looks, hes cutting the dead weight of the team and saving a ton of salary cap doing it so him and nolan can start over on defense. thats a good thing.

I understand jsut about ever cut, but bly. He was a decent starter. i think if he had a safety over the top of him, he is that much better. If you are gonna lose money cutting him you might as well keep him. cut him the following season and try to bring someone in to replace him. i am sure there are alot of factors why he was cut. i just dont think it was such a good thing to cut everyone the first year.

DBroncos4life
02-17-2009, 10:16 PM
why not? figure that, Champ, Thomas, Peterson(we need to re-sign him), Doom, and DJ are still starting next season. that means 6 new starters. it isn't out of the question we get 3-4 new starters in FA, and 2 or maybe 3 more in the draft, to fill out the starting lineup. add in that we will bring in some low end cheap FA for depth and the fact that we have 9 picks in the draft. and it isn't out of the question that the entire defense can be blown up and rebuilt in 1 offseason.

look at the Dolphins, they righted themselves in 1 year. it is the NFL and anything can happen.

did they lose much other then Jason Taylor on D though? They already had the 3-4 system in place as well. I guess we as fans can relax because the owner, GM, and HC have a plan. Hitler had a plan though and it didn't work LOL.

Some of the moves are alright but others are starting to make me as a fan wonder.

Garcia Bronco
02-17-2009, 10:16 PM

The phins did not right themselves in one year. They been miserable for most of the decade and edged put one team with a gimmick offense.

tsiguy96
02-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Some of the moves are alright but others are starting to make me as a fan wonder.

dont worry about it until we see the final result :)

i have a feeling we have 9 starters under 26 years old.

SoCalBronco
02-17-2009, 10:21 PM
DJ will first be approached with a restructure. I hope he accepts!

He should tell the team to go **** itself with an industrial grade sandpaper condom. He earned that extension and did everything they asked of him. If I were him, I'd call their bluff. If they'd like 13million to hit the cap all at once and lose their best LB, that's up to them. Don't move one inch. If they want to cut him, let them bear the consequences.

~Crash~
02-17-2009, 10:24 PM
if on starting day we have only Dville C Bailey starting from last year I will be happy .

~Crash~
02-17-2009, 10:26 PM
He should tell the team to go **** itself with an industrial grade sandpaper condom. He earned that extension and did everything they asked of him. If I were him, I'd call their bluff. If they'd like 13million to hit the cap all at once and lose their best LB, that's up to them. Don't move one inch. If they want to cut him, let them bear the consequences.

I hope so also . then we trade him for someone that fits the system we are going for in the first place .

BroncoBuff
02-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Agreed. Same with Graham.

Either one hitting free agency would cause a feeding frenzy.

Florida_Bronco
02-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Agreed. Same with Graham.

Either one hitting free agency would cause a feeding frenzy.

No way either one of them gets released.

BroncoBuff
02-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Doom is still on his rookie contract - fairly cheap - this is his last season, and he's costing just $530,000.

Plus, he met with Josh and Nolan privately and was very upbeat coming out of the meeting, saying there were big things in the works. Doesn't sound like a cut.

Br0nc0Buster
02-17-2009, 10:32 PM
I didnt see the need to cut Bly, wasnt really a fan of that move

I hope they keep Graham to, he is a bit expensive but still worth it.

Interesting about DJ though

Boss, yeah he is gone, good riddance

BroncoBuff
02-17-2009, 10:33 PM
No way either one of them gets released.
I gotta agree with that. Besides, half of Graham's total contract was up front as has already been paid:

3/6/2007: Signed a five-year, $30 million contract. The deal included a $10 million signing bonus and a first-year roster bonus of $5 million. 2009: $3.2 million, 2010: $3.8 million, 2011: $4.2 million, 2012: Free Agent

And D.J has a huge cap hit if we waive him:

9/6/2008: Signed a six-year, $32 million contract. The deal includes $13 million guaranteed. 2009: $4.1 million, 2010: $3 million, 2011: $4.9 million, 2012: $5 million, 2013: $6 million, 2014: Free Agent. Cap charge: $11.635 million (2009).

I hope they both say no to a pay cut.

TheDave
02-17-2009, 10:35 PM
He should tell the team to go **** itself with an industrial grade sandpaper condom.

Not quite a 15 inch aids infested dong but good visual none the less... :thumbsup:

Man-Goblin
02-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Agreed on the sandpaper condom. DJs not going anywhere.

SoCalBronco
02-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Not quite a 15 inch aids infested dong but good visual none the less... :thumbsup:

If DJ gets released or traded, what I'll have to say about McDaniels and his butt buddy Xanders will make the 15 inch dick with AIDS look like church talk.

tsiguy96
02-17-2009, 10:41 PM
If DJ gets released or traded, what I'll have to say about McDaniels and his butt buddy Xanders will make the 15 inch dick with AIDS look like church talk.

yea because DJ has been a lights out LB...

hes good, but no one on this defense is untouchable. he should NOT be cut, that would be dumb, but if they got picks for him (which is unlikely still) then i may be for it, depending on the pick.

montrose
02-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Interesting DJ would be approached for a new deal after Xanders just gave him a new one last summer and McDaniels already publicly endorsed him. I completely understand if the new regime doesn't seem him as a fit in their 3-4 scheme and would rather go with a guy like Maualuga or Cushing to pair with Larsen in the middle - In that case, I just hope we can get some value for DJ opposed to simply releasing him. While I don't believe DJ will ever be as good of a 3-4 WILB as he is a 4-3 WLB, I do think he's a solid player that can get the job done for this year at least.

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 10:42 PM
i really don't give a crap about DJ anymore. he was outplayed by Woodyard, and in the season finale while the play was still going and the defense was getting torched, he was more interested in adjusting his gloves than in making the play.

BroncoBuff
02-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Hate to disagree with Mr. Lombardi like this ... but Boss Bailey just doesn't make enough money to be a waiver candidate ... the signing bonus was paid and is gone, his incentives don't kick in for two more years, and he's due less than 1 million this year. I could see waiving his NEXT year, he makes $2.4 mill each of the next two years, almost triple what he makes this coming year:

Boss Bailey - LB - 3/6/2008: Signed a five-year, $17.5 million contract. The deal included a $4.3 million signing bonus. Another $3 million is available through incentives in years four and five. 2009: $895,000, 2010-2012: $2.4 million, 2013: Free Agent. Cap charges: $1.755 million (2009), $3.26 million (2010-2012).

BroncoBuff
02-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Interesting DJ would be approached for a new deal after Xanders just gave him a new one last summer and McDaniels already publicly endorsed him.
Not necessarily so ... Lombardi is just speculating.

I'll betcha all three are here in July.

Popps
02-17-2009, 10:49 PM

No kiddin'. When you get 30th in the league-type chemistry, you hate to see anyone mess with that delicate balance.

bpc
02-17-2009, 10:50 PM
We're rebuilding. Whatever.

DJ is a solid player but this defense won't be made by his addition or subtraction. This past season showed that much. He's a good athlete with above average instincts and the speed to chase plays down.

Disheartening to hear about the bonus issue.

What this team really needs to do is load up on back 7 players in FA, and then trade back to pick up front 7 guys in the draft. This year is a rebuilding year. We could end up anywhere from 6-10 to 9-7 but we're going to get some valuable playing experience and a chance to select another cog in next year's draft, (Taylor Mays or Mount Cody).

Bring on more bloodshed. Boss Bailey should be next. Brandon Stokely will also be getting the eye.

Kaylore
02-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Something about this report from Lombardi doesn't feel right. A lot of it doesn't make sense.

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 10:51 PM
The phins did not right themselves in one year. They been miserable for most of the decade and edged put one team with a gimmick offense.

11-5 after being 1-15 and running an offense with an emphasis in getting the ball in the hands of their best player is righting themselves.

Popps
02-17-2009, 10:54 PM
I'm a happy camper.

Keep Bailey and a couple of the linemen and ship the rest of these guys the **** out of town.

There's a new sheriff in town, boys!

TheDave
02-17-2009, 10:54 PM
Something about this report from Lombardi doesn't feel right. A lot of it doesn't make sense.

Word has it that Dove Valley is on a complete media lockdown... Lombardi is probably guessing like the rest of us.

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 10:55 PM
We're rebuilding. Whatever.

DJ is a solid player but this defense won't be made by his addition or subtraction. This past season showed that much. He's a good athlete with above average instincts and the speed to chase plays down.

Disheartening to hear about the bonus issue.

What this team really needs to do is load up on back 7 players in FA, and then trade back to pick up front 7 guys in the draft. This year is a rebuilding year. We could end up anywhere from 6-10 to 9-7 but we're going to get some valuable playing experience and a chance to select another cog in next year's draft, (Taylor Mays or Mount Cody).

Bring on more bloodshed. Boss Bailey should be next. Brandon Stokely will also be getting the eye.

i would be willing to bet that this team finishes no worse than 10-6 next season.

figure McD will get a RB to complete the offense, and the defense no matter how many new starters will be improved over last season, meaning the team as a whole, will be better.

bpc
Hate to disagree with Mr. Lombardi like this ... but Boss Bailey just doesn't make enough money to be a waiver candidate ... the signing bonus was paid and is gone, his incentives don't kick in for two more years, and he's due less than 1 million this year.

The problem with Boss Bailey is that he is the epitome of what was wrong with our team over the last few years. Finesse, injury prone, soft players that don't produce up to their contracts. It's a mentality. Xanders and McDaniels are right to want to remove that type of character from the team.

Boss was an underachiever before his microfacture surgery. I doubt he'll be coming back and lighting any worlds on fire with his limited athletic ability.

NFLBRONCO
We should just flat out start over. If I was DJ I'd ask for a trade.

DBroncos4life
02-17-2009, 10:57 PM
No kiddin'. When you get 30th in the league-type chemistry, you hate to see anyone mess with that delicate balance.

Its not that I just don't see why we are making cuts that don't save us money. Why Bly? I agree with all the other moves so far but him.

Popps
02-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Hate to disagree with Mr. Lombardi like this ... but Boss Bailey just doesn't make enough money to be a waiver candidate ... the signing bonus was paid and is gone, his incentives don't kick in for two more years, and he's due less than 1 million this year. I could see waiving his NEXT year, he makes $2.4 mill each of the next two years, almost triple what he makes this coming year:

If Boss Bailey isn't paying us, he needs to be kicked to the curb.

Even a paltry 900K next year could be year one of a larger contract for a useful player, instead of a guy who sucks when he's healthy... which is never.

Honestly, signing that guy was such a joke. Shanahan just had no idea what he was doing, at that point. Just swinging in the dark.

bpc
02-17-2009, 10:58 PM
i would be willing to bet that this team finishes no worse than 10-6 next season.

figure McD will get a RB to complete the offense, and the defense no matter how many new starters will be improved over last season, meaning the team as a whole, will be better.

While I appreciate your positive outlook, we're looking at 9 new starters on defense and minimal money to make a HUGE splash in FA. This defense is going to be GREEN next year.

Cutler will be learning a new system as well all of the other players. I just can't see us hitting the ground running that fast. 1st year head coaches around the age of 32 don't just take off an excel. Shanahan didn't, Gruden didn't and I don't think McDaniels will either.

We're in for a stiff learning curve but it's much needed. We need to replenish the talent and depth on this defense and find a HB and a better 3rd WR.

Popps
02-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Its not that I just don't see why we are making cuts that don't save us money. Why Bly? I agree with all the other moves so far but him.

I'm just messing with you a little.

Bly was on the books for a big salary this year. I actually would have liked to see Bailey/Bly play with a decent front seven, but the staff is going to do this their way... and I'm excited to see how it goes.

Gcver2ver3
02-17-2009, 10:59 PM
i'm lovin this...

get rid of all these bums...

the D had me so upset that i'd be okay with ALL new starters...

i hope DJ & Champ cooperate, but if not...oh well

i like this house cleaning...it's was long overdue...

Popps
02-17-2009, 11:00 PM
While I appreciate your positive outlook, we're looking at 9 new starters on defense and minimal money to make a HUGE splash in FA. This defense is going to be GREEN next year.

Cutler will be learning a new system as well all of the other players. I just can't see us hitting the ground running that fast. 1st year head coaches around the age of 32 don't just take off an excel. Shanahan didn't, Gruden didn't and I don't think McDaniels will either.

We're in for a stiff learning curve but it's much needed. We need to replenish the talent and depth on this defense and find a HB and a better 3rd WR.

I'll take a bit more positive slant, as well... and say that the new staff won't likely overhaul the system so much as they'll change it slowly. A healthy Hillis and another RB to add to the mix, and we should be very solid on offense. We almost made the playoffs with the worst D in the league. ANY sort of improvement, and things could be interesting.

On the downside, our schedule looks brutal on paper, but you never know until the season's in swing.

DomCasual
02-17-2009, 11:02 PM

Olshansky would be like Dale Carter, all over again.

DomCasual
02-17-2009, 11:05 PM

Don't hold back, man. Just tell us how you feel. :)

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 11:05 PM

we could field an entirely new defense, 11 new starters and there is no way it would be worse than last season. we are dumping finesse and dead weight players. i don't care what is being said about Bowlen's limited money, he is going to give McD the money necessary to bring in players he wants and field a competitive team. do i think he is going to go the blank check route like he did with Shanahan....No, but i do think he will spend money and allow McD to build his team how he wants. i tend to think if money was going to be an issue, that McD would have gone elsewhere to a place where he would have the ability to spend money to get his players. no way would he have come to Denver if Bowlen was going to hamstring him with not spending on FA.

with Cutler learning a new offense, i don't see a big problem. we will run the ball more taking pressure off of Jay while he learns the new system. also i doubt the full playbook will be used to start the season. as the season goes the playbook will get larger.

i truly can't see this team out of the playoffs 4 straight years. it won't happen

DomCasual
02-17-2009, 11:08 PM
The situation with Pat Bowlen's cashflow is making me a little nervous.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
02-17-2009, 11:10 PM

What makews you say that?

I'm not saying that Champ should go. It would rip out my haert if Champ was traded or cut.

But you and I and the rest of us don't know what is going on at Dove Valley. Maybe they think like a lot of people here think, that Champ is "injury prone" whatever the f*** that means.

Here's the thing perception is reality and there are a bunch of idiots here pushing that garbage around.

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 11:10 PM

we almost made the playoffs this season with no running game and a defense that is amongst the worst in NFL history. any kind of improvement on the defense(and considering how bad we are there is no way we won't be improved) and a RB added to the mix and we are in a better spot than this past season.

we need depth at the receiver spot and i think FA will take care of that and with the RB spot, Hillis or a draft pick will take care of that.

bpc
02-17-2009, 11:15 PM
The nail in the coffin that I never mentioned, popps touched on. The schedule is going to be brutal next year. We're clearly behind SD in the West. Can't really say we're that much farther ahead vs. Oakland and KC as they both beat us. We have the NFC East next season along with four of the AFC favorites in NE, Pittsburgh, Indy and Baltimore.

This schedule is a landmine for a new regime. We'll be closer to 6-10 than 10-6. In the long run, it's all good. We need more talent.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-17-2009, 11:18 PM
If they told me they were cutting all 11 defensive starters, I'd be fine with it. We were not just the worst defense in the NFL, we might have been the worst I've ever seen in my 20+ years of being a football fan (especially at the end there.) In that charger game, was anyone confident they'd stop them on any drive?

The defense is historically bad and can't get much worse. if the new coaches have a vision, the quickest way to said vision is to raze the current D and start implementing the new one. With all the cuts, salary cap space, and freed up spending cash, they can start putting together a defensive roster that they like. And i'm fine with that.

So, yes, I'm throwing the baby out with the bathwater because our baby is a disgusting, deformed mess.

dbfan4life
02-17-2009, 11:22 PM
I have no problem with getting rid of most of these guys. Our D sucked, inside and out. The only problem I have is that maybe some of these guys had some trade value - not much value but value nonetheless. I don't think any of the remaining starters should have a problem with this - not DJ, not Champ. They should see this as a changing of the guard and a real opportunity to at least field an average D. An average D can take this team a very long way given the talent we have on the other side of the ball.

Kaylore
02-17-2009, 11:24 PM
I don't think anyone is arguing that these moves will make us worse. I just think that we're questioning not at least trying to get some value for some of these guys - even conditional value. And Bly makes no sense at all. Even if the staff hates him he costs more room to let go than keep and he's already made a bulk of his money. It just seems haphazard.

Also as bad as we were, presumably the guys playing behind the starters we've released are worse, and if we don't sign something better we'll make the Lions defense look not too shabby. I'm scared this season is going to be ugly.

DBroncos4life
02-17-2009, 11:26 PM
I don't think anyone is arguing that these moves will make us worse. I just think that we're questioning not at least trying to get some value for some of these guys - even conditional value. And Bly makes no sense at all. Even if the staff hates him he costs more room to let go than keep and he's already made a bulk of his money. It just seems haphazard.

Also as bad as we were, presumably the guys playing behind the starters we've released are worse, and if we don't sign something better we'll make the Lions defense look not too shabby. I'm scared this season is going to be ugly.
Thats what I don't get. The money was spent on Bly already. Now we are forced to spend even more money on a CB. Move him to nickle for crying out loud.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-17-2009, 11:28 PM

But this is all before you see the new influx of talent. If its true that we'll have 50 mil in cap room, then that's a lot of opportunity for some new talent to fit the new scheme. now if Bowlen needs to get rid of all this salary because he po', well then, thats the reality of our new economy or some poor business decisions on his part (probably both). But if we come out of free agency with some studs and draft heavy on D...itll be exciting to see the product on the field. I'll tell you one thing..i never, ever wanna see that sorry **** i saw last season with a sorry bunch of retreads.

Kaylore
02-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Word has it that Dove Valley is on a complete media lockdown... Lombardi is probably guessing like the rest of us.

He does that a lot, so that wouldn't surprise me in the least.

tsiguy96
02-17-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm scared this season is going to be ugly.

have some faith would you.

if it takes a year to get rid of these players and start grooming replacements so be it, i dont think anyone is expecting a SB this year considering where shanny left this defense. give it some time and enjoy the ride would ya, havent had this much drama in years.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-17-2009, 11:31 PM
The Broncos offense wont really hit its prime (in theory) for 2-3 years (which is scary when you think about it, but all our stars will be in their prime years then. The coaching staff/bowlen are looking big picture. If we can get a defense thats 13-15th in the league by then, we're super bowl contenders.

NFLBRONCO
02-17-2009, 11:32 PM

Denver needs help everywhere what is one more need. Denver needs youth at starting CB position so why not get a young guy some experience while we are revamping our whole D I don't see the big deal cap hit or not. I guess we should start assuming a trade down for more picks is also coming.

OBF1
02-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Jesus Christ girls, Quit the crying about losing defensive players. Funny how 2 months of offseason has made you foget how piss poor this unit was. 3/4 of our starters would not start on any other team.

wolf754life
02-18-2009, 12:14 AM
i hope some people can realize how badly shannasplat left the defense.

McDaniels had the Goodmans fired for allowing the defensive personnel be that bad. Once you take off the homer goggles, which McD never had, you can see the orange and blue suck that was tainted on all these underachieving suck masters.

good riddance to all the defensive coaches, slowdick especially, to all the players they ax, and to the mentality of being the smallest, weakest, non tackling defense in the NFL.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-18-2009, 12:27 AM

McDaniels had the Goodmans fired for allowing the defensive personnel be that bad. Once you take off the homer goggles, which McD never had, you can see the orange and blue suck that was tainted on all these underachieving suck masters.

good riddance to all the defensive coaches, slowdick especially, to all the players they ax, and to the mentality of being the smallest, weakest, non tackling defense in the NFL.

Your wordplays (shanasplat) are horrible. In fact, if i never read another wordplay on this site, i'd be more than ok with that.

ZONA
02-18-2009, 12:34 AM
Anybody who makes a claim that we should keep Boss on this team needs to quit drinking so much during the games. It's obviously impairing your vision. This guy is a marshmellow. I've seen tougher guys then him in chess clubs. For real, he's a frickin joke and both him and Henry were the worst deals Shanny ever made, and there have been some bad ones. I can't frickin stand Boss Baily. I mean, Champ is more physical then him and he plays CB. That should tell you something right there. Who gives a damn if he is not getting paid much this year. It just sends the wrong message that you would keep such a pathetic player on the team. Did I mention how much I think this guy sucks? Gawd he's bad. He'll be out of the league in 2 years, watch.

BroncoMan4ever
02-18-2009, 12:39 AM
So, yes, I'm throwing the baby out with the bathwater because our baby is a disgusting, deformed mess.

Not Safe For Work!

our ugly disgusting deformed mess baby defense reminded me of this stupid song and thinking what McD and Nolan have got to have been thinking when they looked at our defense

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HpWB_ZiFy-Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HpWB_ZiFy-Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

24champ
02-18-2009, 12:46 AM

Sounds like Nick Athan e-mailed him. ROFL!

Florida_Bronco
02-18-2009, 01:02 AM
Sounds like Nick Athan e-mailed him. ROFL!

THE DEAL IS DONE!

montrose
02-18-2009, 02:29 AM
The problem with Boss Bailey is that he is the epitome of what was wrong with our team over the last few years. Finesse, injury prone, soft players that don't produce up to their contracts.

You've to insert dumb in that line. Small would fit too although you could file that under finesse. I'm not as bothered by Boss as others are; I don't think you can count on him because of the injury history, but he does have some talent. I doubt he's in the team's long-term plans as it would seem our future LB would be more Spencer Larsen-esque than Boss Bailey-like, but if the money works I understand possibly keeping around this year as depth at the Sam spot. I still like the idea of drafting a guy like Cushing, or at a minimum signing a vet who knows the system like Tully Banta-Cain to compete. I'd never again count on Boss for anything, but perhaps in a reserve role he could still be of some value.

we could field an entirely new defense, 11 new starters and there is no way it would be worse than last season.

People really need to stop saying this because it is very possible our defense could be worse next season. I'm hopeful that different personnel and improved coaching will help, but there is no guarantee at all that in one offseason we can overturn so much to improve that unit. I'm hopeful, but it can always get worse.

The situation with Pat Bowlen's cashflow is making me a little nervous.

I think it's the whole league considering the economic recession and uncertainty of the future labor deal. Pat Kirwan noted that a lot of teams aren't as afraid to let the market set the price some of their FAs this year because even with cap room, a lot of teams are going to be gun shy about dishing out large amounts of cash. I do think his being on the books for Shanahan, the Goodmans and the other assistant coaches doesn't help matters - but I'm confident that Joe Ellis will give the Football Operations department a reasonable budget for this season. Bowlen and Ellis realize that you can't make a move like this half-@$$, they know they're going to have to take a big dip into the finances over the next few seasons but know it's worth it in the long-run to restore the value of the franchise. They fell from being around 6th in the league to 12th in value this year I believe. Pat knows the way of fixing that is winning home playoff games. If the team can return to playoff-status within the next 3-5 years, he significantly raises the value of the team which should eventually allow him to sell at a higher price.

The nail in the coffin that I never mentioned, popps touched on. The schedule is going to be brutal next year. We're clearly behind SD in the West. Can't really say we're that much farther ahead vs. Oakland and KC as they both beat us. We have the NFC East next season along with four of the AFC favorites in NE, Pittsburgh, Indy and Baltimore.

It's going to be tough. Part of me looks at this as the nasty little year to setup further success, but another side of me looks how having the toughest schedule in the league strengthened Pittsburgh and led them to winning a title. Being tested week-in and week-out against the teams we're going to have to beat to get back to the top will be a good barometer for these young players.

It's about having "their guys". You know this is a big deal in football circles at any level. Bly wasn't going to be around in 2-3 years when the teams hopes to be really competitive and didn't fit the style of the player McDaniels/Xanders want around. They take his cap hit now and develop someone they want who will be in that spot long-term.

Well if you look at it the starters released were Bly, Manual, Robertson and Winborn. Winborn was starting because of an injury to Boss. After reviewing the tape I'm sure McDaniels/Xanders determined Boss it the better player, that's not to say Boss will be the guy as they could certainly make another move there but swapping Winborn for Boss is by no means a downgrade. A worn down transvestite on Colfax would be an upgrade over Manual, although he was essentially replaced at the end of the season by Barrett anyhow and if McDaniels/Xanders didn't see Barrett as the better player I'm more worried than you are. With Robertson, he and Thomas are both UTs (along with Peterson) who shouldn't have been playing with each other in a 4-3. Considering we might be making the full 3-4 move right now without looking back, I don't see us downgrading from Robertson to anyone else on the roster right now. Finally with Bly, he's the one guy where there isn't a backup on the roster near his ability but I look at as a move made to get a youngster experience at the position for the long-run. What I'm trying to say here is it's really unlikely they'll be plugging in guys who were backups last year into many starting roles this year. Between FA and the draft, they're going to be looking to fill nearly all of these positions for the '09 season. I've been a huge proponent of making a clean break now and shipping out any and all of the defensive players who don't fit this scheme long-term. If we're going to suck on defense, might as well do it because of youth rather than suckiness. Get the young guys experience in Nolan's system so that in 2010, we can return an experienced unit with more new pieces that the staff will determine we need based on an entire season of assessing the youngins in their system. It will be a hell of a transition, but I don't see a drop in talent as one of the problems necessarily.

TDmvp
02-18-2009, 02:34 AM
Not Safe For Work!

our ugly disgusting deformed mess baby defense reminded me of this stupid song and thinking what McD and Nolan have got to have been thinking when they looked at our defense

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HpWB_ZiFy-Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HpWB_ZiFy-Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Lynch Rep ....

Edit and i think Craig Christ is my fav Lynch bit ... once again nsfw ..
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pPdFrW076R0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pPdFrW076R0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

eddie mac
02-18-2009, 03:44 AM
For those of you who are interested the Broncos would need to negotiate an injury settlement with Boss Bailey if they wished to release him.

From Legwold's inbox today

So, this week the Broncos have released seven players, none of them having been selected by the team in the draft.

The Broncos may be a little more active in free agency - likely in the middle tier of things for the most part - this year simply because of the roster turnover they are already producing, but general manager Brian Xanders said this week that moving forward the Broncos would build the core of the team in the draft.

So, given that profile so far I would think linebacker Boss Bailey, who is coming off microfracture surgery on his knee, would get a hard look as well. Bailey, also signed as a free agent last year, has a cap figure of $3.855 million for '09.

However, league rules prohibit releasing an injured player without some kind of settlement and Bailey has not been cleared by the Broncos doctors for full speed work just yet.

So if the new staff wants to release him they are going to have negotiate some kind of injury payment. Usually a player will go to a doctor of his choice to receive a timeframe for his return to the field and the team's medical staff will give their assessment as well.

Rarely do the two match. So from there the player's agent and the team usually meet somewhere in the middle of the two figures to produce the injury settlement, which often is a player's game check total in the season times however many weeks have been agreed to for his return.

Broncoman13
02-18-2009, 05:42 AM

Hope you realize how good of shape he left the offense. Fortunately we are not the Chiefs and having to rebuild both the offense and defense! It's not like Shanny didn't try on defense either. We focused almost the entire 2007 draft on trying to fix the DL. And, as Med has pointed out in the past, Jarvis Moss graded out pretty well as a OLB during his combine. There is still hope for him and at 250#, LB is probably a better position for him. Shanny needed to go, but he didn't leave this team in as bad as shape as you say.

Lots of folks talking about next year's schedule being brutal. SD's schedule is brutal too. The Titans, Phins, and Steelers in addition to the NFC East while we have the Pats, Ravens, and Colts. Both tough schedules. 8-8 could very well win the west next year.

Dre Bly was likely approached about restructuring his contract. He probably tried to call the team's bluff and was shown the door. The cut looks like a spiteful move b/c as some have mentioned, he already got most of his money from us.

Looks like it was a good call on the DJ front. Worked out well for the team and DJ. No loss of money for the player on a deal in which the ink barely dried before he was approached to restructure. I like DJ and would like to see him used in a different way. Look forward to seeing how Nolan will use his talents. I'm glad it wasn't lip service about him being a part of the Broncos in the future.

BroncoMan4ever
02-19-2009, 01:55 AM

This schedule is a landmine for a new regime. We'll be closer to 6-10 than 10-6. In the long run, it's all good. We need more talent.

how do you figure we are behind San Diego. truthfully i don't see much of a difference in talent between the 2 teams. both have a lot of flaws and questions going into next season.

Oakland and KC are division games, i don't care if we are undefeated and they are winless, anytime our team and SD, Oakland or KC meet it is always going to be a battle. division games are always rough, regardless of a team having a lot more talent or being a lot better, that is often negated due to the division game atmosphere.

who is to say that NE is that tough next season. their defense is old as hell, who is going to play QB, if it is Brady how will he look with 1 leg, if it is Cassel does he have a 2nd year slump, or does he prove to be a 1 year wonder which i think he is, how will the loss of their OC effect them?

Pittsburgh, will they suffer from a super bowl hangover, will Tomlin keep them motivated?

Indy, they are somewhat on the decline and are no longer the team that used to drop 40 on us in the playoffs.

Baltimore has a lot of defensive starters who are FA, Ray Lewis is probably not going to be there same with Scott, will Flaco have a sophomore slump, McGahee will he be back strong after nearly being killed in the playoffs?

Giants, how will they be without Plax, Ward is not going to be back. they have the defense but the offense probably won't be there

Dallas, the yearly super bowl pick that is always an disappointment and out of the super bowl talk by the first week in November, TO trouble brewing,

Washington, they need help all over the place

Philadelphia, was it a fluke with McNabb and Reid basically playing for their jobs, Westbrook was dinged up a lot, might be starting to fade out.

every single team that is supposedly going to be a difficult test for us, have a lot of question marks. none of them are unbeatable. and if Nolan can get the defense to be ranked in the late teens or early 20's(which under good coaching and with players who all fit a certain scheme and have a team first mentallity and good attitude, that shouldn't be that tall of an order) and if we can get good production from a running game to take pressure off of Jay and the passing game, we will be able to hang with any team in the league, and 10-6 or better would not be out of the question.

Broncojef
02-19-2009, 06:58 AM
Anything will be better than the D fielded last year. Very nice to see some of these Shanny sacred cows scrapped and sent packing as I know if Shanny was still here I'd still have to watch their crap for another few years. I like the fact they are managing contracts smartly, getting rid of locker room cancers and looking a new direction. I'm not tied to any of these guys as Broncos (to include Champ). Do what has to be done to rebuild and get going in the right direction for once!

barryr
02-19-2009, 07:23 AM
I will not be sad to let go that many on defense. Who on this defense other than Champ can make a play? Cause a turnover? Make a big sack or get pressure on the QB? Cover TE's and RB's out of the backfield? Heck, do anything that is a positive play? Too many underachieving players and I will say, piss poor coaching didn't help either.

55CrushEm
02-19-2009, 07:37 AM

:rofl:

400HZ
02-19-2009, 08:04 AM
how do you figure we are behind San Diego. truthfully i don't see much of a difference in talent between the 2 teams. both have a lot of flaws and questions going into next season.

Oakland and KC are division games, i don't care if we are undefeated and they are winless, anytime our team and SD, Oakland or KC meet it is always going to be a battle. division games are always rough, regardless of a team having a lot more talent or being a lot better, that is often negated due to the division game atmosphere.

who is to say that NE is that tough next season. their defense is old as hell, who is going to play QB, if it is Brady how will he look with 1 leg, if it is Cassel does he have a 2nd year slump, or does he prove to be a 1 year wonder which i think he is, how will the loss of their OC effect them?

Pittsburgh, will they suffer from a super bowl hangover, will Tomlin keep them motivated?

Indy, they are somewhat on the decline and are no longer the team that used to drop 40 on us in the playoffs.

Baltimore has a lot of defensive starters who are FA, Ray Lewis is probably not going to be there same with Scott, will Flaco have a sophomore slump, McGahee will he be back strong after nearly being killed in the playoffs?

Giants, how will they be without Plax, Ward is not going to be back. they have the defense but the offense probably won't be there

Dallas, the yearly super bowl pick that is always an disappointment and out of the super bowl talk by the first week in November, TO trouble brewing,

Washington, they need help all over the place

Philadelphia, was it a fluke with McNabb and Reid basically playing for their jobs, Westbrook was dinged up a lot, might be starting to fade out.

every single team that is supposedly going to be a difficult test for us, have a lot of question marks. none of them are unbeatable. and if Nolan can get the defense to be ranked in the late teens or early 20's(which under good coaching and with players who all fit a certain scheme and have a team first mentallity and good attitude, that shouldn't be that tall of an order) and if we can get good production from a running game to take pressure off of Jay and the passing game, we will be able to hang with any team in the league, and 10-6 or better would not be out of the question.

One battle against four blowouts since Jay took over.

Every team goes into the season with question marks. A question mark like, say, nine new starters on defense is a bigger question mark than what most teams are dealing with.

bronco militia
02-19-2009, 08:32 AM

shanny filmed every practice and team meeting

rugbythug
02-19-2009, 08:39 AM
One battle against four blowouts since Jay took over.

Every team goes into the season with question marks. A question mark like, say, nine new starters on defense is a bigger question mark than what most teams are dealing with.

I would say nine new starters is a definite advantage over the 11 we started last year.

socalorado
02-19-2009, 08:42 AM
I would say nine new starters is a definite advantage over the 11 we started last year.

Exactly! I just cant see how anyone can complain about these cuts and the ones that are still to come.
Clean house and start over.
Remember last year!?!? There were homers here saying DEN is just one or two players away from being good on defense!

Hotrod
02-19-2009, 08:58 AM
Looks like to me were freeing up some space to make a serious run at Mustard.

I say keep Champ and Dum (as a 3rd down specialist) the rest can catch the first flight to KC for all I care.

BroncoBuff
02-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Definitely. Maybe Xanders is using Lombardi to get a message to these guys? Without it filtering through their agents?

The DJ speculation was proven wrong yesterday when they made just a tiny change that helped both sides really, and Mike Klis (read my posts and then) wrote this morning about how Boss can't possibly be a serious waiver candidate either. Xanders might be using the media to soften these guys up.

cutthemdown
02-19-2009, 10:04 AM

They have seen them play last 4-5 yrs and they play soft DJ included.

Remember when I was saying this defense was filled with scrubs? For some reason the ole Denver regime just had head in the sand when it came to evaluating defensive players.

TonyR
02-19-2009, 10:16 AM
how do you figure we are behind San Diego.

NE...

Pittsburgh...

Indy...

Baltimore...

Giants...

Dallas...

Washington...

Philadelphia...

We're "behind" San Diego because they blew us out in the last game of the season. We're "behind" them until we prove otherwise.

Every team you listed was better than us last season, and with the possible exeception of Washington were better to a considerable degree. Sure they all have question marks but none has the question marks we have. We'll be fielding an almost completely new defense with a new scheme. It's possible that 2 or 3 of these teams slip a little but this schedule is brutal no matter how you look at it.

snowspot66
02-19-2009, 10:28 AM
We have 7 playoff teams on the schedule and a few other tough ones but in today's NFL it's pretty common for over half the playoff teams from one year to the next be different. This past year was a very weak year across the board. There was no team out there that was dominant. There were no scary playoff teams. Just good playoff teams. I think we have a very realistic shot at the division. We damn near won it with the worst defense we've fielded quite possibly ever. 10-6 probably wins the West next year and I think we can do it.

chaz
02-19-2009, 11:47 AM
dear gawd, what is going on? i'll be bummed to see Graham or DJ go.

ditto. Cutting two leaders who play hard doesn't make a lot of sense...we don't NEED the cap space and we aren't going to find better in FA.

Rohirrim
02-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Bronco nation better pull in its belt and toughen up. I've never seen a team do this kind of rebuilding and not go through some real tough times.

Damn. If only we could get Mustard back. ;D

~Crash~
02-19-2009, 12:19 PM
The thing is the way our Offense played our Defense had it easy ! and they still sucked .

there really is no way to rank just how bad our Defense was . It was not like they were hung out to dry.

Falconer
02-19-2009, 12:26 PM
The thing is the way our Offense played our Defense had it easy ! and they still sucked .

there really is no way to rank just how bad our Defense was . It was not like they were hung out to dry.

Now believe me I think we have a good offense and our defense was a little less than pathetic last year, but I don't get the "great offense" conjecture that I see on this board. Our offense moved the ball, but they certainly didn't score very well considering on how they racked up the yardage. They also had a tendancy to turn the ball over fairly consistantly.

Beantown Bronco
02-19-2009, 12:32 PM

Aside from the 6 games the offense turned the ball over multiple times and scored 17 or fewer pts.

snowspot66
02-19-2009, 12:40 PM
If we had a average number of takeaways we would have likely scored another 40 to 50 points total. Possibly much much more. Our offense under performed points wise but performed admirably with the field position and lack of takeaways. All this with a carousel of running backs. Never mind the mental aspect of knowing you're playing with an 11 man anchor around your neck.

Our defense was unquantifiably bad. It is arguably the worst defense the league has seen in decades and without a doubt the worst this franchise has fielded in decades if not ever. Our defense from two years ago would have been a drastic improvement.

PRBronco
02-19-2009, 01:11 PM
If we had a average number of takeaways we would have likely scored another 40 to 50 points total. Possibly much much more. Our offense under performed points wise but performed admirably with the field position and lack of takeaways. All this with a carousel of running backs. Never mind the mental aspect of knowing you're playing with an 11 man anchor around your neck.

Our defense was unquantifiably bad. It is arguably the worst defense the league has seen in decades and without a doubt the worst this franchise has fielded in decades if not ever. Our defense from two years ago would have been a drastic improvement.

I appreciate the effort here, but I really don't think it can be put into words, how bad our defense was. They actually found ways to make it easier for the other team to score than if they had been playing against no one.

Beantown Bronco
02-19-2009, 01:13 PM
It is arguably the worst defense the league has seen in decades

They weren't the 32nd ranked defense in any category even just this year, so I'd have to disagree.

Beantown Bronco
02-19-2009, 01:14 PM
I appreciate the effort here, but I really don't think it can be put into words, how bad our defense was. They actually found ways to make it easier for the other team to score than if they had been playing against no one.

Aside from, of course, the 5 or 6 games where they actually held their opponents UNDER their season averages in points scored.

BroncoMan4ever
02-19-2009, 01:58 PM
We're "behind" San Diego because they blew us out in the last game of the season. We're "behind" them until we prove otherwise.

Every team you listed was better than us last season, and with the possible exeception of Washington were better to a considerable degree. Sure they all have question marks but none has the question marks we have. We'll be fielding an almost completely new defense with a new scheme. It's possible that 2 or 3 of these teams slip a little but this schedule is brutal no matter how you look at it.

so does that mean we are ahead of the Pats in your eyes? outside of last season we tend to own the Pats and they have yet to prove they can beat us consistently.

at times it sometimes just comes down to how they matchup against each other.

the point i am making is that with the question marks revolving around every team we play next season is that it can't be decided 8 months before we play any of them that we are going to get our asses beat every week next season.

also with a new coaching staff, lopping off the heads of the worthless SOB's who were part of our defense, and making a new defense we will be better than last season. with McDaniels saying he wants to fix the running game, it will help the offense and make them balanced and better.

i have faith, and with Jay leading a team with no running game or defense to 8-8 and almost a division crown this past season, i just can't think we will finish worse next season if we are better on defense and running the ball, regardless of who we play.

BroncoMan4ever
02-19-2009, 02:03 PM
They weren't the 32nd ranked defense in any category even just this year, so I'd have to disagree.

well considering the other bad defenses all had rankings in different catergories that were higher in some phases but low in others they were better than us, whereas our defense was ranked basically in the bottom 3 of every catergory. there wasn't 1 thing our defense didn't suck at, and sadly that wasn't the case of the other bad defenses last year or most of the bad defenses in history.

you know your defense is terrible on a historic level when you know that as soon as the opposition gets on the field with the ball, they are going to score.

hell, even homers last season couldn't find anything good about our defense.

Beantown Bronco
02-19-2009, 02:14 PM
well considering the other bad defenses all had rankings in different catergories that were higher in some phases but low in others they were better than us, whereas our defense was ranked basically in the bottom 3 of every catergory.

Wrong. Detroit's was worse in both yards and points given up than Denver's.

Inkana7
02-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Wrong. Detroit's was worse in both yards and points given up than Denver's.

Two things here.

1) We had a top-5 Offense to help out our D. It still sucked.

2) Our D was the worst Defense in the history of Football Outsiders. The History.

Beantown Bronco
02-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Two things here.

1) We had a top-5 Offense to help out our D. It still sucked.

Can't stop perpetuating this myth, can we?

Top 5 offense?

25th in Time of Possession
And they only ran 5 more offensive plays per game than Detroit, the worst in # of plays run per game

How is that "helping the D"?

2) Our D was the worst Defense in the history of Football Outsiders. The History.

That must be an extremely flawed study if they weren't even the worst this season.

tsiguy96
02-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Aside from the 6 games the offense turned the ball over multiple times and scored 17 or fewer pts.

having to score on every drive will make a team turn the ball over. when youre playing from behind, your passing alot. when your passing alot, the other team knows it, and will drop a lot of people into coverage. this will cause interceptions.

think of it this way: the first 3 games the team scored over 30 pts. and still almsot lost 2 of them.

Beantown Bronco
02-19-2009, 02:53 PM
having to score on every drive will make a team turn the ball over. when youre playing from behind, your passing alot. when your passing alot, the other team knows it, and will drop a lot of people into coverage. this will cause interceptions.

People love to use this as an excuse for the offense, but the fact remains, almost all of the Broncos turnovers occurred in their first 3 drives.....BEFORE they got down big in those games.

Inkana7
02-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Can't stop perpetuating this myth, can we?

Top 5 offense?

25th in Time of Possession
And they only ran 5 more offensive plays per game than Detroit, the worst in # of plays run per game

How is that "helping the D"?

That must be an extremely flawed study if they weren't even the worst this season.

Nah dude, you're right. Detroits O > Ours.

2KBack
02-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Nah dude, you're right. Detroits O > Ours.

no, but

Saints;Chargers;Giants;Cardinals;Packers;Eagles;Pa nthers;Patriots;Jets;Falcons;Ravens; Vikings; Colts; Titans; Bears Offenses > Broncos

colonelbeef
02-19-2009, 03:28 PM

Agree 100%

maher_tyler
02-19-2009, 03:31 PM

Dude..do you think it can get any worse on defense..really??

tsiguy96
02-19-2009, 03:47 PM
anyone who is defending the defense that just gave up almost 450 points in 16 games clearly did not watch any games this year. was it an NFL record low takeaways they had? if not it was close. if you watched the games this year, you know there was no excuse for what they did on defense.

UberBroncoMan
02-19-2009, 04:02 PM
anyone who is defending the defense that just gave up almost 450 points in 16 games clearly did not watch any games this year. was it an NFL record low takeaways they had? if not it was close. if you watched the games this year, you know there was no excuse for what they did on defense.

I think it tied or was 1 more than the NFL record... which coincidentally was also set by a Bob Slowik run defense.

Seriously what the hell was Shanahan thinking when made Slowik the DC, let alone when he said he was keeping him after the San Diego blowout. I don't give a flying F, what friendship they had from Florida together, this is a business.

AbileneBroncoFan
02-19-2009, 04:27 PM

What did they do other than look like asses? We couldn't tackle, rush the passer, cover receivers, cover tight ends, sure as hell couldn't cover backs out of the backfield, couldn't get push on the line of scrimmage, forced virtually zero takeaways, overpersued, gave up big plays, made journeyman quarterbacks look like Joe Montana's brother, gave up more big plays, and in the off chance we got lucky and made one tackle on 3rd down (after the quarterback accidentally missed wide open receivers on 1st and 2nd down) we acted like we had just won the super bowl.

All kidding aside, you are dead on in your assessment. This was a piss poor defense, and the fact that we can have a legitimate argument about how it is the worst D of all time tells you just how bad it was. That's why I don't give a rat's ass if any of these guys are back next year. It's not like it could possibly get any worse. Well, Norv Turner could be the coach.

peacepipe
02-19-2009, 05:07 PM
agreed.

also, we might get away with a little bit of a low offer. technically he produces like a top 5 receiver, but he still drops a lot of passes and has a couple questions regarding his hand. get it done now while we can still low ball him a little, instead of waiting a year and risk losing him to the lure of FA money and having to pay him as much as he is actually worth.Which is why he'll get top 5 money. T.O.s drops never stopped him from getting paid,why would it stop BM from getting paid.

BroncoBuff
02-19-2009, 05:13 PM

Damn good analysis ... our offense underperformed in points scored, partly (or largely) because we had so few takeaways.

Something tells me we're in store for an un-GAWD-ly offensive output the next few seasons.

maher_tyler
02-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Damn good analysis ... our offense underperformed in points scored, partly (or largely) because we had so few takeaways.

Something tells me we're in store for an un-GAWD-ly offensive output the next few seasons.

...and no run game.

DBBBSBS
02-19-2009, 05:45 PM
well considering the other bad defenses all had rankings in different catergories that were higher in some phases but low in others they were better than us, whereas our defense was ranked basically in the bottom 3 of every catergory. there wasn't 1 thing our defense didn't suck at, and sadly that wasn't the case of the other bad defenses last year or most of the bad defenses in history.

you know your defense is terrible on a historic level when you know that as soon as the opposition gets on the field with the ball, they are going to score.

hell, even homers last season couldn't find anything good about our defense.

Broncoman4ever.. i would like to know your iq score.. from the way you argue.. i guess it is 0.

One can support the team, but you want it to get all the way worse before getting better i guess.

anyway all this happening is for good i guess. Go check the games against SD last 3 seasons to see how far ahead they are on us. Dont just argue... to win the division, we got to dominate the teams which are in our division and we are not doing it the last few years.

Unless this team can win in KC and SD consistently.. i wouldn't agree we are the best team in the division and i want our home field advantage back. Check the number of games we have been losing at home, not only against good teams but against avg teams the last few years.

TonyR
02-19-2009, 05:56 PM
...and no run game.

Except for the fact that we were 12th in rushing in the NFL by yards and tied for second in yards per carry...

ohiobronco2
02-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Except for the fact that we were 12th in rushing in the NFL by yards and tied for second in yards per carry...

Pretty sure our amazing passing attack made this happen. We would have also been better with consistency at the RB position.

bronco militia
02-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Pretty sure our amazing passing attack made this happen. We would have also been better with consistency at the RB position.

regardless of the injuries, the broncos were bottom 3rd for rushing attmepts.

I would have fired shanny for that reason alone.

TonyR
02-19-2009, 06:31 PM
...the broncos were bottom 3rd for rushing attmepts.

We were 28th in rush attempts.

snowspot66
02-19-2009, 06:41 PM

We set a record low for takeaways. *EDIT* (Franchise low for takeaways, NFL record is 11, we had 13). The only reason our defense wasn't 32 in everything is because we played Oakland twice and Kansas City twice. The high powered teams of Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, Buffalo, and Cleveland, filled out another quarter of our schedule. It's the softest schedule we'll see in years in all likelihood and we set a record for fewest takeaways. We played fat ass Russel and whoever Herm wheeled out for a quarter of our games. We should have gotten enough takeaways to avoid this horrible record just from those four games.

We flatout sucked and I can't think of a single defense in the last few decades that's ever been worse than the one we put out there.

*edit* We not only played against the Raiders and Chiefs twice along with all those other ****ty teams but we gave up a QB rating of 98.5 on the season. I'm at a loss for words. We gave up just a few yards shy of 6,000 yards. The worst in NFL history is some 6,700. We were only 700 yards away from the most allowed every and we played those teams for half our games!

broncosteven
02-19-2009, 07:04 PM
For all those that think our D cannot get any worse, there were teams ranked worse than Denver last year.

KFC was worse as were Detroit.

Despite some of the worst D I have seen played we could have won the Divison if Bowe doesn't fumble an onside kick and Herm plays to WIN the GAME.

We finshed 8-8, not 2-14 or 0-16.

Next year we could challenge those records if they decide to start 9 new players.

I mocked Herm last year when they did the same thing. It didn't work for KFC and it is unlikely to work for us.

At this point I am just hoping MickyD doesn't set the Franchise back 5 years.

yerner
02-19-2009, 07:10 PM
For all those that think our D cannot get any worse, there were teams ranked worse than Denver last year.

Despite some of the worst D I have seen played we could have won the Divison if Bowe doesn't fumble an onside kick and Herm plays to WIN the GAME.

Next year we could challenge those records if they decide to start 9 new players.

I mocked Herm last year when they did the same thing. It didn't work for KFC and it is unlikely to work for us.

geez, i forgot about kc last year. way to bum me out, bro.

FireFly
02-19-2009, 11:42 PM

Shh!

Nobody around here wants to here that!

Its kinda really depressing really when you think about it.... :-[ :tearhair:

Popps
02-19-2009, 11:53 PM
Again, people need put the kleenex away.

We had one of the worst D's in the league and absolutely NO upside outside of a couple of bench players who we couldn't even find a place for.

There was no choice BUT to blow this whole joke of a defense the **** up.
Honestly, I can't even believe we need to discuss this.

BroncoBuff
02-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Again, people need put the kleenex away.

We had one of the worst D's in the league and absolutely NO upside outside of a couple of bench players who we couldn't even find a place for.

There was no choice BUT to blow this whole joke of a defense the **** up.
Honestly, I can't even believe we need to discuss this.

Yeah ... I like what they're doing so far. It's damed interesting to watch.

Vegas_Bronco
02-20-2009, 12:30 AM
Yeah ... I like what they're doing so far. It's damed interesting to watch.

I agree, Much more interesting than watching them try to make a patchwork quilt and then attempting to pass it off as a legit NFL defense.

BroncoMan4ever
02-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Broncoman4ever.. i would like to know your iq score.. from the way you argue.. i guess it is 0.

One can support the team, but you want it to get all the way worse before getting better i guess.

anyway all this happening is for good i guess. Go check the games against SD last 3 seasons to see how far ahead they are on us. Dont just argue... to win the division, we got to dominate the teams which are in our division and we are not doing it the last few years.

Unless this team can win in KC and SD consistently.. i wouldn't agree we are the best team in the division and i want our home field advantage back. Check the number of games we have been losing at home, not only against good teams but against avg teams the last few years.

first off, do you want to clarify what the **** that means?

secondly, don't ever talk down to me again ****head.

your coming at me about **** that isn't even in this post, and you question my intelligence. reading comprehension obviously isn't your strong point is it, you ****ing moron.

now back to you post, our defense was so terrible last season that i can't even think of a way it could have been worse.

and over the last 3 seasons with SD just rolling over us is because we have not had a defense capable of slowing down LT, which only opens up passing lanes for Rivers to look like ****ing Joe Montana against us, because we are having to bring an 8th man into the box to attempt to slow down LT.

also, in the case of SD, they were way ahead of us in the years before last season, but are you really going to argue that they are that far ahead of us because they snuck into the playoffs with the same record as us? by the end of last season we had nothing left, we had no running game and our defense had become so porous that everyone knew we were going to lose that finale, it didn't matter who we played in the final game last season, we were going to lose.

BroncoMan4ever
02-20-2009, 07:14 PM

see, i don't see how we could get worse, even with as many as 9 possible new starters. the simple reason i think that...coaching.

there were so many missed tackles last season which contributed to us being complete **** on defense. Our defense would not have looked near as bad last season if the first guy in the play was able to make the tackle.

the way i see it, Nolan won't stand for that. and unlike Slowik not understanding how to use his players to the best of their potential and wanting to be liked by the players, Nolan will get right in the grill of any defensive player who blows a play, and he is going to put the players in the best possible situation for them to play to the best of their talents.

also, with the purging of the garbage on the roster, we can get a group of guys who all fit the current scheme. last season we were using guys in ways they are not effective.

our corners who are better at playing close coverage, are instead in zone playing way off the receiver, our DL was pieced together with retreads and guys left over from the Bates experiment. our LB's were composed of guys who should only be backups, and Boss who was signed as a favor to Champ.

we just had so many different things going on with the defense from our DC not knowing anything, to him also being stuck with a lot of leftovers from past DC that it just didn't mesh together and the results were terrible.

just by bringing in guys who all fit the same scheme and getting rid of the guys who don't; our defense should be improved at least a little, and with good coaching and an emphasis on tackling, i can't see how we could be worse.

wolf754life
02-20-2009, 07:27 PM
the definition of insanity.....................

mike shanahan doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results...........

ie........(horrible free agents, busted draft picks on Defense, small undersized defensive personnel, finesse city, no tackling, late season fade, no accountability)

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! cry for mikey and his horrible coaches and front office people............... burn the candle for all those unfortunate circumstances, it was never masterpants fault, he deserves his fate fan boys!

shut your mouths, move on, i'm sick of hearing about your wet dreams for shanahans teams.

Mike Shanahan FAILED.................end of story!

put on your grown up pajamas already............

you poor poor fanboys........very sad

snowspot66
02-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Who the hell is advocating Shanahan and the defense in this thread? Give it a rest. He's gone. You've been campaigning for it for what? Years now? It finally happened, you got your way, and your the only one who hasn't moved on.

BroncoMan4ever
02-20-2009, 07:38 PM

mike shanahan doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results...........

ie........(horrible free agents, busted draft picks on Defense, small undersized defensive personnel, finesse city, no tackling, late season fade, no accountability)

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! cry for mikey and his horrible coaches and front office people............... burn the candle for all those unfortunate circumstances, it was never masterpants fault, he deserves his fate fan boys!

shut your mouths, move on, i'm sick of hearing about your wet dreams for shanahans teams.

you are a very disturbed individual.

broncosteven
02-20-2009, 07:40 PM

Failed = Herm. 2-14, under .500% winning percentage record coaching. That is failure.

We will either have a SB next year or more people will be starting FIRE MickyD threads than there were Fire Shanny threads.

Go Broncos.

Sassy
02-20-2009, 08:15 PM

Mike may have failed the last few years...but the only 2 SB rings the Broncos have were when he was HC. Yeah..."Failed" ...whatever.

wolf754life
02-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Mike may have failed the last few years...but the only 2 SB rings the Broncos have were when he was HC. Yeah..."Failed" ...whatever.

wow, like living in the past much sass?

good thing you enjoy the effort and heart our team has been playing with the last 10 yrs........

must be nice to live on the past, not be judged by what is occuring today.

I wish my job worked like that, just live on past success.

america was once a great economy, but now not so much, but remember it was great.............

Sassy
02-20-2009, 08:23 PM

good thing you enjoy the effort and heart our team has been playing with the last 10 yrs........

america was once a great economy, but now not so much, but remember it was great.............

Where am I living in the past? You said he failed. I said it wasn't all failures...what...the Broncos should win the SB every year? Who's even come close to doing that...LOL! I said he didn't do well the last few years or do you just choose to ignore that part.

Hey, at least I don't post FIRE SHANAHAN 100,000 times on a message board ;D

BroncoMan4ever
02-20-2009, 10:01 PM

i think you are the one living in the past. You are the only one still bitching about a coach who has been gone for over a month now. do you have anything constructive to say about the new CURRENT regime? if not shut the hell up and go troll elsewhere