PDA

View Full Version : KFC Hires Gibbs to Staff

broncosteven
02-17-2009, 08:12 PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9233224/Haley-retains-Gailey,-hires-Gibbs-for-Chiefs'-staff

Gary Gibbs

Not Joe or Alex

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - The Kansas City Chiefs retained offensive coordinator Chan Gailey and hired former New Orleans defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs on Tuesday as new coach Todd Haley filled out his staff.

Also hired were Bill Muir, who was the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach for Tampa Bay, and Joel Collier, Pat Perles, Steve Hoffman, Clancy Pendergast and Dedric Ward.

Besides Gailey, those retained from former coach Herman Edwards' staff were Bob Bicknell, Joe D'Alessandris, Tim Krumrie, Brent Salazar and Cedric Smith.

The team said duties for the staff will be announced later.

Gibbs had been defensive coordinator at New Orleans the past three years and is a former head coach at the University of Oklahoma.

General manager Scott Pioli and Haley were hired after the Chiefs went 2-14 last season, the worst record in franchise history.

Gailey, a former head coach at the Dallas Cowboys, was forced to reconfigure the offense because of season-ending injuries to the top two quarterbacks. He switched to a quasi-spread offense to fit the talents of third-team quarterback Tyler Thigpen.

Thigpen managed only one victory, but the offense did move the ball.

The Chiefs' biggest weakness was on defense. Coordinator Gunther Cunningham resigned soon after the season and became defensive coordinator with the Detroit Lions.

Inkana7
02-17-2009, 08:13 PM
New Orleans fielded some impressive defensive units the past few years.

LOL

SoDak Bronco
02-17-2009, 08:24 PM
i would imagine Clancy will be the DC..So what is with the new secret KC regimen?? It is kinda over done when it comes to the coaching staff isn't it?

BMarsh615
02-17-2009, 08:35 PM
i would imagine Clancy will be the DC..So what is with the new secret KC regimen?? It is kinda over done when it comes to the coaching staff isn't it?

Some Chief fans believe that Pendergast(sp?) and Gibbs are going to be position coaches and Pioli is going to bring in Romeo Crennel to be the DC. ROFL!

Natedogg
02-17-2009, 08:36 PM
bwa bwa ha ha . had me worried.

randomtask
02-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Scared me there for a second.

KCStud
02-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Pendergast is said to be the d coordinator, not Gibbs. Gibbs should be the LB coach. Pendergast is ok. Ya he got blamed for the SB loss, but in the end I think the Cards D played pretty well throughout the run.

Muir was a great pickup. He's a very good OL coach. Helped coach up good offensive linemen in TB such as Aaron Sears, Jeremy Zuttah, and an underrated Donald Penn who is rumored to be heading to KC in FA.

KCStud
02-18-2009, 08:50 AM
According to Schefty, not only are the Broncos going to the 3-4, but so are the Chiefs

DenverBrit
02-18-2009, 09:03 AM
According to Schefty, not only are the Broncos going to the 3-4, but so are the Chiefs

He's clueless, ask Boob. ;D

Beantown Bronco
02-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Pendergast is ok. Ya he got blamed for the SB loss, but in the end I think the Cards D played pretty well throughout the run.

They played well in the Carolina game....but weren't very good in the other three games IMO. Somehow, people only remember that one good performance and somehow translate it to the entire run.

Fact: they didn't hold any of the other three teams they faced in the post season below their regular season averages for points scored.

KCStud
02-18-2009, 09:48 AM
They played well in the Carolina game....but weren't very good in the other three games IMO. Somehow, people only remember that one good performance and somehow translate it to the entire run.

Fact: they didn't hold any of the other three teams they faced in the post season below their regular season averages for points scored.

In the SB one of the Steelers TD's was from Warner, but I see your point. I think KC will be relying on the offense moreso than the defense. I do like the experience though on the staff.

One thing is for sure. Denver and KC have a long ways to go before they have a good defense

Kaylore
02-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Tim Krumrie is a surprise. The Chiefs fans hate him but Pioli says he stays. Kind of odd because it's not like their D-line is that good. By not good I mean they set records for a lack of sacks last year...

KCStud
02-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Tim Krumrie is a surprise. The Chiefs fans hate him but Pioli says he stays. Kind of odd because it's not like their D-line is that good. By not good I mean they set records for a lack of sacks last year...

Ya but Herm ran the entire team. He made Gunther run his cover 2 when he has no experience with it and also made Gibbs play the CB's 10 freaking yards off the WR.
Everybody in KC was in shock when they switched to the wildcat

Man-Goblin
02-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Ya but Herm ran the entire team. He made Gunther run his cover 2 when he has no experience with it and also made Gibbs play the CB's 10 freaking yards off the WR.

Wait, it's not a good idea to play your corners way off the receiver, regardless of down and distance? Noted.

KCStud
02-18-2009, 02:52 PM

Oops meant Gailey not Gibbs

broncosteven
02-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Barry Gibbs could coach his way to 2 wins.

Anything for a 2-14 team coming off it's worst season in the history of the Franchise will be an improvement.

KCStud
02-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Barry Gibbs could coach his way to 2 wins.

Anything for a 2-14 team coming off it's worst season in the history of the Franchise will be an improvement.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/twisted_blue/captain-obvious.jpg