PDA

View Full Version : PFW: Ward possible target, but coaches high on Torain and Hillis

montrose
02-17-2009, 08:34 AM
The Broncos are presumed to be in the market for a running back when free agency begins, but sources say the team won’t break the bank for one. Giants RB Derrick Ward has been mentioned as a potential target of the Broncos, but Denver’s coaching staff is still very high on Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis, each of whom is coming off an injury in his rookie year, so the club likely won’t feel the need to overpay for a free agent.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2009/wrapup021609.htm

RunSilentRunDeep
02-17-2009, 08:36 AM
I like Ward, but don't want to pay him $4M per year. Stay the course with Torain and Hillis. Free agent RBs rarely live up to their contracts.

vancejohnson82
02-17-2009, 08:39 AM
i like Ward a lot...tough runner with breakaway speed...can also return kicks

they should give him to us since we gave them Hixon

Drek
02-17-2009, 08:39 AM
I'm betting we draft a speedy complimentary back instead.

If Moreno runs a less than stellar 40 he could actually fall into our laps in the 2nd, I could see that working out real well.

Tombstone RJ
02-17-2009, 08:40 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Fred Taylor come in and mentor Torain and Hillis, couldn't hurt. He's made good money already and he may like the idea of getting paid (not breaking the bank) and playing in a true ZB running scheme.

Houshyamama
02-17-2009, 08:44 AM
Whats the over-under on how many games Torain makes it through this year?

vancejohnson82
02-17-2009, 08:45 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Fred Taylor come in and mentor Torain and Hillis, couldn't hurt. He's made good money already and he may like the idea of getting paid (not breaking the bank) and playing in a true ZB running scheme.

I would rather have Kaylore go in and mentor our running backs....Fred Taylor has more miles on him then my 1985 Civic

ZONA
02-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Yeah, I'm sure when McDaniel's and Turner sat down to review tape, watching Hillis smash and bust through defenders on one play and then look like a WR catching over the shoulder passes with grace on the next, they knew they had something special.

I seriously doubt we bring in a back to compete for the starting job. I think we will draft or sign a speedy shifty guy to compliment Hillis and Torrain.

vancejohnson82
02-17-2009, 08:46 AM

practices...

DenverBroncosJM
02-17-2009, 08:50 AM
If everyone is saying we are going to maybe draft a speedy shifty guy...why did we cut Alridge?

crowebomber
02-17-2009, 08:57 AM

I don't think bringing a guy with the nickname "Fragile Freddy" is a very good idea coming off a year when we lost seven backs.

tsiguy96
02-17-2009, 09:02 AM
the thing about torain is he sorta had a bad draw as far as injuries. all of them were freak occurances, and if he can make it through that he may be good to go for a long time...

SoDak Bronco
02-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Ward=this years Michael Turner

bowtown
02-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Well it's good to see that even with a new coach, we are still rumored to be interested in every single running back available. This is how all of those editorial meetings go:

Editor: Let's see, [running back] just got released by the [team]. Where do you think he might end up?

Reporter: Hmmm, that's a tough one. Well, Denver likes running backs, and they are always running the ball. Maybe that would be a good fit.

Editor: Perfect! Print it.

Reporter: But we have no real story, I mean it's not like we've heard from anyone that they are interested...

Editor: Denver is interested. There now you just heard it.

Reporter: Great! I'll get right on it.

bowtown
02-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Ward=this years Michael Turner

Totally laughable. Go take a look at what he did when Jacobs was hurt.

Hint: nothing.

Tombstone RJ
02-17-2009, 09:08 AM
I don't think bringing a guy with the nickname "Fragile Freddy" is a very good idea coming off a year when we lost seven backs.

The dude has alot of injuries, yet he's still performing. Why the hell is that such a bad thing?

If anything, it will teach the young guys how to play hurt, and to work through adversity.

I've watch Taylor for alot of years and I've grown to respect his ability to perform year after year, dispite injuries.

Plus, he's a vet. He can be a stablizing influence on the young guys. This team will need a vet or two to, esp. on defense.

TonyR
02-17-2009, 09:10 AM
If Moreno runs a less than stellar 40 he could actually fall into our laps in the 2nd, I could see that working out real well.

You really think there's any chance Moreno makes it out of the first round? I know mocks are ridiculous but every one I look at has him a top 20 pick.

Kaylore
02-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Well it's good to see that even with a new coach, we are still rumored to be interested in every single running back available. This is how all of those editorial meetings go:

Editor: Let's see, [running back] just got released by the [team]. Where do you think he might end up?

Reporter: Hmmm, that's a tough one. Well, Denver likes running backs, and they are always running the ball. Maybe that would be a good fit.

Editor: Perfect! Print it.

Reporter: But we have no real story, I mean it's not like we've heard from anyone that they are interested...

Editor: Denver is interested. There now you just heard it.

Reporter: Great! I'll get right on it.

LOL It's funny because it's true. Especially when you re-read it.

The Broncos are presumed to be in the market for a running back when free agency begins
So right there they admit it's a presumption.
but sources say the team won’t break the bank for one.
Usually they cite what kind of source (team sources, front office source, league sources) but here it's generic. It could be my Dad (I bet it is.)
Giants RB Derrick Ward has been mentioned as a potential target of the Broncos,
Just like you said, it said Ward was mentioned as a potential target. It doesn't say the source mentioned him. He heard it in the hallway for all we know.
but Denver’s coaching staff is still very high on Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis, each of whom is coming off an injury in his rookie year, so the club likely won’t feel the need to overpay for a free agent.
This is the only part that actually says the team itself feels a certain way.

So it's probably just a way to make news out of no news.

SoDak Bronco
02-17-2009, 09:18 AM

I went and looked, and he wasn't overly dominate, but he was solid. I like the way he runs, not sure if he is a feature back but I think he would be a guy to look at.

gyldenlove
02-17-2009, 09:40 AM
but Denver’s coaching staff is still very high on Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis, each of whom is coming off an injury in his rookie year, so the club likely won’t feel the need to overpay for a free agent.

This is the only part that actually says the team itself feels a certain way.

So it's probably just a way to make news out of no news.

That is the be all, end all insurance policy. This way they can claim the honor if Ward happens to sign with us, and on the other hand if he doesn't, even if no RB signs with us they won't look like idiots.

Basicly this story reads:

Derrick Ward may or may not sign with the Broncos.

Which is true, since the the options are complementory, he will either do one or the other no matter what happens. (There is some finite but negligible chance he will do both, which I won't consider in detail).

TonyR
02-17-2009, 09:53 AM

1,025 rushing yards at a league best 5.6 ypc, plus 41 rec for 384. Other than his age (he turns 29 in Aug, old for a RB) what's not to like? That said, you don't want to overpay for him and somebody probably will.

bowtown
02-17-2009, 09:57 AM
1,025 rushing yards at a league best 5.6 ypc, plus 41 rec for 384. Other than his age (he turns 29 in Aug, old for a RB) what's not to like? That said, you don't want to overpay for him and somebody probably will.

Maybe you didn't read my post, because the numbers you just posted have nothing to do with it.

chaz
02-17-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm betting we draft a speedy complimentary back instead.

This is exactly what I'm hoping for. It would be just short of a miracle, but here's hoping

alkemical
02-17-2009, 10:29 AM
use the draft.

DBroncos4life
02-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Get LT.

Popps
02-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Torain's name should be made into an expletive here. So, every time someone types it, it comes out like this: ######.

Honestly, just quit mentioning the guy's name.

Popps
02-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Get LT.

Won't happen, but would sure be fun.

DBroncos4life
02-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Won't happen, but would sure be fun.

I know alot of SD fans with LT jerseys that would be pissed ;D I think he has about one good year left in him. He isn't a top 5 back in my mind anymore but top 10 isnt out of the question. His old legs would still look nice behind our Oline. :thumbsup:

bowtown
02-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Torain's name should be made into an expletive here. So, every time someone types it, it comes out like this: ######.

And you know what they say: "If Popps doesn't even like the guy... well then he must be a Bronco."

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 11:14 AM
I like Ward, but don't want to pay him $4M per year. Stay the course with Torain and Hillis. Free agent RBs rarely live up to their contracts.

taking bets on when Torain suffers his first injury this season.

right now i say he doesn't make it out of camp without injury.

screw Torain, bring in Ward and Make a Hillis-Ward combo and watch the rest of the league tremble.

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 11:16 AM

i'm with you on that. Torain should only be mentioned with the likes of Clarett, Griffin, Duke, Lelie, and the rest of the Shanahan era turds we brought in that were useless.

tsiguy96
02-17-2009, 11:17 AM
bring in Ward and Make a Hillis-Ward combo and watch the rest of the league tremble.

that would be so sick. personally id like to pick up a RB in 3rd-4th whos a quick little bastard...ward would work too :D

tsiguy96
02-17-2009, 11:18 AM
i'm with you on that. Torain should only be mentioned with the likes of Clarett, Griffin, Duke, Lelie, and the rest of the Shanahan era turds we brought in that were useless.

dude, he was a 5th round pick, how does that ever make him a turd? hes gotten injured twice from **** that was out of his control since he came here, that makes him a turd?

DBroncos4life
02-17-2009, 11:18 AM

I agree he is over hyped. Im not sure how you can lump Lelie in that group though. He is still in the NFL and he gave us some good games.

oubronco
02-17-2009, 11:22 AM
I know alot of SD fans with LT jerseys that would be pissed ;D I think he has about one good year left in him. He isn't a top 5 back in my mind anymore but top 10 isnt out of the question. His old legs would still look nice behind our Oline. :thumbsup:

think Tony Dorsett

DBroncos4life
02-17-2009, 11:24 AM
think Tony Dorsett

Think Emmitt Smith

brother love
02-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Get LT.

Do you think the linebacker can still play?

God knows the efense could use one, or two, or even three.

bowtown
02-17-2009, 11:29 AM

You are right, this is the ONLY franchise in history to have a 1st round pick a conditional 3rd, 2 5th round picks, and an undrafted free agent not work out!

Arrrghh!!! Shanny and his turds!

Pssst... go look at the Patriots last 3 drafts. If those are your standards... not real pretty.

~Crash~
02-17-2009, 11:34 AM
You are right, this is the ONLY franchise in history to have a 1st round pick a conditional 3rd, 2 5th round picks, and an undrafted free agent not work out!

Pssst... go look at the Patriots last 3 drafts. If those are your standards... not real pretty.

LOL don't tell him he is on a roll LOL

vancejohnson82
02-17-2009, 11:34 AM

speaking of...we should bring in Chad Jackson for a workout

wait a second...

brother love
02-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Draft that Green kid from Iowa. He's a good back.

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 11:42 AM
I agree he is over hyped. Im not sure how you can lump Lelie in that group though. He is still in the NFL and he gave us some good games.

when i say Lelie, i mean he was hyped to be better than he was and once he left Denver proved to be nothing but a turd

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 11:44 AM

i am not talking about the picks and rounds they were selected. i am talking about the overhyping these guys got and then ended up being useless to us.

and you know just as everyone does, Shanahan was notorious for bringing in no-talent guys, bad character guys, just all around turds.

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Draft that Green kid from Iowa. He's a good back.

i agree, been saying it for months, but if we decide to go the FA route instead of drafting i want Ward here.

DBroncos4life
02-17-2009, 11:47 AM
when i say Lelie, i mean he was hyped to be better than he was and once he left Denver proved to be nothing but a turd

He was still good for Denver. As far as what he did after he left he wound up at San Fran and Oakland. Two of the worst teams over the last 4 or 5 years in the NFL.

Cito Pelon
02-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Ward, Buckhalter, sure get one of 'em. Torain & Hillis seem like they can play well, but one more proven vet doesn't hurt. Plus, Torain had an ACL, so he might not be at 100% until game 10 or so. Going into camp with Tatum, Selvin, Hillis, Boyd should be augmented.

WolfpackGuy
02-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Granted, Lelie turned out the be a turd after Walker was acquired, but I wonder how good he would've been if Plummer could've actually hit him in stride on some of those throws.

BABronco
02-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Ward, Buckhalter, sure get one of 'em. Torain & Hillis seem like they can play well, but one more proven vet doesn't hurt. Plus, Torain had an ACL, so he might not be at 100% until game 10 or so. Going into camp with Tatum, Selvin, Hillis, Boyd should be augmented.

He needs to get back to work at that cell phone store.

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 12:07 PM
dude, he was a 5th round pick, how does that ever make him a turd? hes gotten injured twice from **** that was out of his control since he came here, that makes him a turd?

he is always hurt. that is what makes him a waste in my eyes. coming out of college with a lis franc, busted elbow in camp, torn ACL after 15 carries for us. and yet everyone continues to swing from his nuts when he has done absolutely nothing to show he is worth it.

he was rising up the depth chart in camp, but when you look at the crap we had running the ball all year, it would have been pathetic if he didn't rise up the depth chart.

Turner likes his style of running, but i think it would be obvious that he would gladly take another guy with a similar running style minus the injuries every other day.

Popps
02-17-2009, 12:09 PM
And you know what they say: "If Popps doesn't even like the guy... well then he must be a Bronco."

Huh?

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 12:11 PM

actually, in the season finale against SD, Tatum was the only guy on the field who did anything.

i have never been a big supporter of Bell, but he earned some respect from me in his last few weeks of the season. he ran hard for us. i wouldn't be opposed to giving him a 1 year deal to be our change of pace back.

if Torain is even on the roster at game 10 next season, i will **** a brick.

DBroncos4life
02-17-2009, 12:13 PM

did you catch the SD game?

BABronco
02-17-2009, 12:53 PM
did you catch the SD game?

he needs to do a lot more than have a decent game to make up the respect he lost from me. And generally I root for OSU.

tsiguy96
02-17-2009, 01:15 PM
he is always hurt. that is what makes him a waste in my eyes. coming out of college with a lis franc, busted elbow in camp, torn ACL after 15 carries for us. and yet everyone continues to swing from his nuts when he has done absolutely nothing to show he is worth it.

he was rising up the depth chart in camp, but when you look at the crap we had running the ball all year, it would have been pathetic if he didn't rise up the depth chart.

Turner likes his style of running, but i think it would be obvious that he would gladly take another guy with a similar running style minus the injuries every other day.

im commenting on the fact that you and people like you have to insult players. call him a "turd" because he is hurt? lelie was a legitimate turd because of the type of person he was. torain is a kid who had some unfortunate breaks, none of which were in his control and hes still trying to come back from.

Cito Pelon
02-17-2009, 01:41 PM

That's a little harsh, IMO. He has some good skills from what I saw. Obviously, he doesn't have a knack for avoiding injuries. I say relax a little and see if he can make a comeback.

Cito Pelon
02-17-2009, 01:54 PM

I was very impressed with Tatum in that season ending loss to SD. He was one guy that didn't have his bags packed already for the offseason, no pun intended. I'd take him over Selvin and Boyd right now. But regardless, there's still some augmentation that has to be done at tailback before camp. Ward, Buckhalter, a rookie or two on the second day, any combo of them is fine with me.

elsid13
02-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Key words are "are presumed to be"

ZONA
02-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Honestly, the guys that are claiming Torrain is a turd or a waste would not make very good coaches. So somebody gets injured and then they are done with them. He was a 5th round pick, and due to some freak injuries he's now all of a sudden to be cut. What a good coach would do is say "hey, this guy was a 5th round pick so his cap number is very low. He played college in a great conference and when healthy, he was tearing it up. Let's see if he can stay healthy this year and give him a lagit shot to see what he can do, so we can evaluate him the right way. He would not be the first player in the league to turn out to be a great player when others are trying to give up on him".

WTF is it going to hurt keeping this guy around and let him have a shot at spelling Hillis. The elbow injury was a weird fluke and the knee injury, well, even the frickin HULK himself would have gotten his knee torn with 5 guys dog piling the stack when his leg was bent back. It's not like he was running in the open field and made a cut and boom, there goes the knee. Man alive, where were all you guys when Schlereth had his 15th knee surgery? You weren't crying to cut him that's for sure.

Yeah, let's bring in another back only because we had so many injured and we can let some of these guys that had a lagit shot and didn't pan out go.

I still think you will see Hillis 75% of the plays, Torrain 15% and a speedy guy 10%

yerner
02-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Torain hasn't done anything wrong other than get injured to receive all this negativity bull****. He looked pretty good when he got those few carries. And dimissing him now is just stupid.

elsid13
02-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Imagine what some here would have posted about Fred Taylor early in his career if played for Denver

elsid13
02-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Honestly, the guys that are claiming Torrain is a turd or a waste would not make very good coaches. So somebody gets injured and then they are done with them. He was a 5th round pick, and due to some freak injuries he's now all of a sudden to be cut. What a good coach would do is say "hey, this guy was a 5th round pick so his cap number is very low. He played college in a great conference and when healthy, he was tearing it up. Let's see if he can stay healthy this year and give him a lagit shot to see what he can do, so we can evaluate him the right way. He would not be the first player in the league to turn out to be a great player when others are trying to give up on him".

WTF is it going to hurt keeping this guy around and let him have a shot at spelling Hillis. The elbow injury was a weird fluke and the knee injury, well, even the frickin HULK himself would have gotten his knee torn with 5 guys dog piling the stack when his leg was bent back. It's not like he was running in the open field and made a cut and boom, there goes the knee. Man alive, where were all you guys when Schlereth had his 15th knee surgery? You weren't crying to cut him that's for sure.

Yeah, let's bring in another back only because we had so many injured and we can let some of these guys that had a lagit shot and didn't pan out go.

I still think you will see Hillis 75% of the plays, Torrain 15% and a speedy guy 10%

Excellent post.

lex
02-17-2009, 02:24 PM

When was he not given a legit shot...any of the times he has been injured?

If something happens often enough, its not flukish and this guy has been injured a lot. This guy, in the quarter he was able to actually play, did an ok job of recognizing an opening. He also has somewhat of a decent burst. But he runs too stiff which hinders him from running behind his pads and exposes him to a greater risk of injury. And another thing that was alarming (that also ties into running stiff and pad level) is that when he was tackled, he was often stood up. Rarely was be falling forward for extra yards.

Aside from Hillis, we can do better and should.

supermanhr9
02-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Kaylore you'd make a good RB coach! This stuff abotu us brining in a new RB is silly. Just as all of you have stated, there's no truth to this, we don't need a FA rb, and Ward is that spectacular. Man I love you guys

supermanhr9
02-17-2009, 02:31 PM
If something happens often enough, its not flukish and this guy has been injured a lot. This guy, in the quarter he was able to actually play, did an ok job of recognizing an opening. He also has somewhat of a decent burst. But he runs too stiff which hinders him from running behind his pads and exposes him to a greater risk of injury. And another thing that was alarming (that also ties into running stiff and pad level) is that when he was tackled, he was often stood up. Rarely was be falling forward for extra yards.

I disagree. I thought everytime he was tackled he fell forward. In fact I was pumped up everytime he got the ball because we were agining positive yards. I htink the ATV Peyton Combo could be great. Then draft some speedster low like we always draft a RB low.

bowtown
02-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Kaylore you'd make a good RB coach!

Kaylor - Xanders just called me up, wanted me to let you know that you are a really great guy, but he's going to go ahead and stick with Bobby Turner. Nothing against you personally though. He hopes you understand.

supermanhr9
02-17-2009, 02:34 PM
Damn Kaylore, so close, better luck next year

Popps
02-17-2009, 02:35 PM
That's a little harsh, IMO. He has some good skills from what I saw. Obviously, he doesn't have a knack for avoiding injuries. I say relax a little and see if he can make a comeback.

I know, and I'm pulling for the kid. I've just never (literally) seen more bandwidth used up on a player who's done less. He came in with an injury rep... was injured in camp and then couldn't make it through a single game.

I wish him the best, but counting on him in ANY sort of way is just silly. Bury him on the depth chart and let him fight to make the team and in the meanwhile, we can all just sort of agree to forget about him. :)

Drek
02-17-2009, 02:37 PM
You really think there's any chance Moreno makes it out of the first round? I know mocks are ridiculous but every one I look at has him a top 20 pick.
A lot of teams drafted RBs that they are now quite happy with last year and Moreno doesn't look like a 25+ carry back. I think you have Wells at the top of this class (and he might not even make the top 10) thanks to his size and power, then you have Moreno who is a lot closer to the rest of the pack. He could get jumped over if one of the smaller school guys really shows up big at the combine and pro day.

Moreno needs to put up a nice group of numbers in the speed drills to cement himself in the first round. He compares a lot to Tiki Barber coming out of college, and Barber put up good speed numbers at the combine, he still was a 2nd rounder. It isn't hard for a 215-220 pound back to leap frog a 205 pound back if they both run the same 40.

cutthemdown
02-17-2009, 02:40 PM
You can't cut injured players that are under contract until a certain point I thought? Torrain, Boss, these guys are rehabbing and a decision won't be made on them until the get healthy etc.

ZONA
02-17-2009, 02:40 PM
When was he not given a legit shot...any of the times he has been injured?

Aside from Hillis, we can do better and should.

The point is, you can't just axe all of your RB's except one and expect to replace them all with quality backs. It don't work like that man. You've got to keep 2 or 3 and then replace 2 or 3.

True, if something happens often enough it's not flukish but you have to be more specific. If a guy blows out a knee, and then let's say he running along and makes a cut and that same knee blows out, that's a pattern to be concerned about (in some cases, look at Stink, he was hurt ever year). If Torrain was in his 3rd year and just could not stay healthy, I wouldn't be making a case for him. The dude was a 5th round pick rookie making almost nothing. Shanny and Turner both were impressed with him in camps and loved what they saw. He was obviously doing stuff right in practice. If he was running so high all the time and taking wicked shots in practice and getting hurt, he would not have made the team. Same with college. He would not have been leading the PAC 10 in rushing before he got his foot hurt if he was a bad runner. He must have been running very good and making plays. And running high had nothing to do with that knee injury. Damn some of you guys are stupid. Watch the play again. The play was over, he was down. There was an a$$hat that kept pushing him back over when his leg was all jammed up in that stack. And then another guy frickin jumped on the pile. The whistle had blown and that frickin clown kept pushing and pushing Torrain back over. He should have been fined by the league. In any case, I don't think there is a human knee on this planet that would not have popped in that case.

The dude deserves one more year. He makes almost nothing so his cap hit is very low. He's young and has alot to his game. If he gets hurt again this year, yeah, then maybe we say goodbye. But he deserves this year to see what he can do, at the very least, through the camps. Period.

elsid13
02-17-2009, 02:42 PM
You can't cut injured players that are under contract until a certain point I thought? Torrain, Boss, these guys are rehabbing and a decision won't be made on them until the get healthy etc.

That during the season, and teams and players can agree to an injury settlement.

lex
02-17-2009, 02:43 PM
I disagree. I thought everytime he was tackled he fell forward. In fact I was pumped up everytime he got the ball because we were agining positive yards. I htink the ATV Peyton Combo could be great. Then draft some speedster low like we always draft a RB low.

Thats just silly. Go back and look at the thread for the Cleveland game. Youll see numerous remarks that he is an injury waiting to happen. He runs high and doesnt transition to good pad level. THis is also why the pile doesnt fall forward consistently. The guy frequently gets stood up.

bowtown
02-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Lex has no interest in giving any running back a shot from the 08 draft without the initials RM. Never mind that he was hurt most of the season as well.

ohiobronco2
02-17-2009, 02:47 PM
I believe that Ward just fired his agent and is planning on hiring Drew Rosenhaus. Won't come cheap. I frankly, don't want him.

Kaylore
02-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Kaylor - Xanders just called me up, wanted me to let you know that you are a really great guy, but he's going to go ahead and stick with Bobby Turner. Nothing against you personally though. He hopes you understand.
I've never played nor coached RB in any fashion, unless you count teaching my seven year old Nephew how to take a hand off. I'm pretty sure within ten minutes the entire RB corps would be beating my head in if I tried. However I can say the alphabet backwards. :approve: Their loss.

cutthemdown
02-17-2009, 02:49 PM
That during the season, and teams and players can agree to an injury settlement.

Ok still I doubt they make a move on an injured player who is under contract at this point in the offseason. I don't know the specifics of the rule obviously but IMO they will wait and see on the injured players who are under contract for next yr.

lex
02-17-2009, 02:56 PM
The point is, you can't just axe all of your RB's except one and expect to replace them all with quality backs. It don't work like that man. You've got to keep 2 or 3 and then replace 2 or 3.

Who makes up these rules?

True, if something happens often enough it's not flukish but you have to be more specific. If a guy blows out a knee, and then let's say he running along and makes a cut and that same knee blows out, that's a pattern to be concerned about (in some cases, look at Stink, he was hurt ever year). If Torrain was in his 3rd year and just could not stay healthy, I wouldn't be making a case for him.
Well, ok, in that case, lets go back three years from today. How many games has he missed in the past 3 years?

The dude was a 5th round pick rookie making almost nothing. Shanny and Turner both were impressed with him in camps and loved what they saw. He was obviously doing stuff right in practice.
So? Shanahan and Turner have said a lot of things about a lot of different players.

If he was running so high all the time and taking wicked shots in practice and getting hurt, he would not have made the team.
Dont you remember the story in the middle of the season where Shanahan did away with his policy of having no tackling in practice?

Same with college. He would not have been leading the PAC 10 in rushing before he got his foot hurt if he was a bad runner. He must have been running very good and making plays.
Didnt Keegan Herring also do well once he entered the lineup?

And running high had nothing to do with that knee injury. Damn some of you guys are stupid. Watch the play again. The play was over, he was down. There was an a$$hat that kept pushing him back over when his leg was all jammed up in that stack. And then another guy frickin jumped on the pile. The whistle had blown and that frickin clown kept pushing and pushing Torrain back over. He should have been fined by the league. In any case, I don't think there is a human knee on this planet that would not have popped in that case.

Emmitt Smith probably had more lifetime carries than any RB ever. If its random bad luck as you say, doesnt it make sense that he would have been injured more often than he was?

The dude deserves one more year. He makes almost nothing so his cap hit is very low. He's young and has alot to his game. If he gets hurt again this year, yeah, then maybe we say goodbye. But he deserves this year to see what he can do, at the very least, through the camps. Period.

He doesnt deserve anything. Im not saying they should cut him just for the sake of it, but they also shouldnt keep him around banking on him being healthy either.

BigPlayShay
02-17-2009, 03:02 PM
For those bagging on Torain, he missed half a year in college due to injury. So did Hillis. His first pro year was cut short due to injury. So was Hillis'.

Are we to assume Hillis is injury prone as well?

Elway777
02-17-2009, 03:04 PM
I would say give Ward his 4 million dollar per year contract. Denver can afford it with its cap situation. A 5 year 20 million dollar cotract with 6 million signing bonus. Sturcture the contract so its backloaded in the last 2 years.

OABB
02-17-2009, 03:06 PM
For those bagging on Torain, he missed half a year in college due to injury. So did Hillis. His first pro year was cut short due to injury. So was Hillis'.

winner. awesome post my man.

bowtown
02-17-2009, 03:06 PM
I would say give Ward his 4 million dollar per year contract. Denver can afford it with its cap situation. A 5 year 20 million dollar cotract with 6 million signing bonus. Sturcture the contract so its backloaded in the last 2 years.

I think you are kidding yourself if you think he's going to come that cheap... and deserves that much.

skpac1001
02-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Emmitt Smith probably had more lifetime carries than any RB ever. If its random bad luck as you say, doesnt it make sense that he would have been injured more often than he was?

Emmitt Smith has more lifetime carries than any RB ever. Including runners with a similar style to him and including runners who protected themselves more then he did. Luck definitely has alot to do with it.

TonyR
02-17-2009, 03:27 PM

I would agree except for the fact that he'll soon be 29. I wouldn't give a RB that age any more than 3 years unless the last 2 were team options.

Rock Chalk
02-17-2009, 03:37 PM

Under 1

ludo21
02-17-2009, 03:45 PM
I am a homer, but I think we will be just fine with:
Hillis, Torain, and Young/Bell

Add in a rookie back to compete (Brown,Ringer, or Jennings) and were set barring another injury riddled season.

BroncoBuff
02-17-2009, 03:57 PM
I am a homer, but I think we will be just fine with:
Hillis, Torain, and Young/Bell

Add in a rookie back to compete (Brown,Ringer, or Jennings) and were set barring another injury riddled season.

Agree ... and maybe Hall.

broncofan7
02-17-2009, 03:57 PM
If we draft a RB in the 2nd round, I want Donald Brown of UConn--he reminds me of Matt Forte--but if Moreno is there in the 2nd (I don't think he will) he would be a good choice as well--we didn't do too badly with the last Georgia RB we drafted.....

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Imagine what some here would have posted about Fred Taylor early in his career if played for Denver

his season high for rushing is like 1200 yards. technically that isn't that great anyway. he may be amongst the elite in terms of yardage for a career, but he is still only averaging about 1000 yards a season. that really isn't that spectacular.

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 04:19 PM

the point is, fluke injuries seem to follow him around and a new one inflict every year.

i would have no problem with him had it just been 1 injury and he was rehabbing that. but he had injury problems in college, couldn't make it through camp, and after 15 carries was injured again.

the guy is injury prone. everyone like you seems to think he is going to wake up one day and be invincible and rush like TD used to, but more than likely he is going to get injured again in camp and then we are going to have these same stupid ass discussions about well if he could only stay healthy he could be a stud RB.

why pin so much hope on a guy who has not shown a damn thing that he is worth any of the hype?

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 04:20 PM
If we draft a RB in the 2nd round, I want Donald Brown of UConn--he reminds me of Matt Forte--but if Moreno is there in the 2nd (I don't think he will) he would be a good choice as well--we didn't do too badly with the last Georgia RB we drafted.....

Yeah Olandis Gary had a good year for us. but the Georgia RB before him, now that guy was ****ing awesome.

TD FOR THE HALL OF FAME!!

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 04:23 PM

he won't even make it through camp, and then all his nutswingers will bitch and moan about the rest of us saying we need a replacement, and cry with the same argument that if he could only stay healthy he would be a stud for us.

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 04:30 PM

well he lasted longer than 15 plays this season, contributed more, and unlike Torain his injuries don't happen week-to-week.

hillis isn't injury prone, he landed awkwardly and hurt his leg. he has never been an injury risk, Torain is.

so there is a difference between a tough guy who got hurt making an incredible catch, and a guy who is always fighting some kind of injury

broncofan7
02-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Yeah Olandis Gary had a good year for us. but the Georgia RB before him, now that guy was ****ing awesome.

TD FOR THE HALL OF FAME!!

I stand corrected! I thought Olandis was a FA. very good correction!

broncofan7
02-17-2009, 06:10 PM
I would agree except for the fact that he'll soon be 29. I wouldn't give a RB that age any more than 3 years unless the last 2 were team options.

I didn't realize his age--good point. PASS.

wandlc
02-17-2009, 06:11 PM
When did Hillis miss half a year in college? In four years he missed 4 games due to injury and in those 4 games Arkansas lost 3, even though they had the mighty D Mac and Felix running the ball.