PDA

View Full Version : Which players or position are next on the chopping block?

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 12:20 AM
I am wondering with the cuts coming pretty quickly now, what players or positions does the rest of the Mane think are on their way out.

As it stands now, my assumption is all RB's not named Hillis will be looking for work.

I'd make a poll, but it would be about 50 players long, and just a pain in the ass, so just post who you think is next.

we can make this interesting and make bets between each other on who we think is next to get the boot

OBF1
02-17-2009, 12:26 AM
McCree

Jens1893
02-17-2009, 12:27 AM
I see no reason why Selvin Young and Ryan Torain would be released right now. They´re both cheap and the Broncos lose nothing by letting them stick around until camp. Whether they are on the roster on opening day is a different matter.

The only cap casualties I can see before camp starts are Boss Bailey and Dre Bly.

Jens1893
02-17-2009, 12:28 AM
McCree

UFA

broncolife
02-17-2009, 12:31 AM
If Shanny was still here I would guess Mustard. I am pretty sure he could have resigned him and then cut him before we made our next wave of cuts:)

MABroncoFan
02-17-2009, 12:46 AM
Mustard was already cut last week

footstepsfrom#27
02-17-2009, 12:50 AM
I'm thinking Patrick Ramsey is outa here pretty soon.

broncolife
02-17-2009, 12:51 AM
Mustard was already cut last week

thats why I said we would resign him and then cut him again.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-17-2009, 01:05 AM

he's an FA if i recall

extralife
02-17-2009, 01:17 AM
Is Andre Hall a free agent? If not, he's gone.

Atwater His Ass
02-17-2009, 01:54 AM
I see no reason why Selvin Young and Ryan Torain would be released right now. They´re both cheap and the Broncos lose nothing by letting them stick around until camp. Whether they are on the roster on opening day is a different matter.

The only cap casualties I can see before camp starts are Boss Bailey and Dre Bly.

I'm not a fan of Young. I just don't see anything in him that warrants keeping him around. Torain should get an opportunity to contribute.

Traveler
02-17-2009, 02:30 AM
Xanders said in the interview that they might try to acquire more picks. Sounds like we might be shocked by someone unexpected getting traded.

Any clue as to whom that might be?

eddie mac
02-17-2009, 02:40 AM
IMHO there'll be no more significant cuts until we sign some UFA's. We are now down to 51-52 players.

elsid13
02-17-2009, 02:50 AM
Xanders said in the interview that they might try to acquire more picks. Sounds like we might be shocked by someone unexpected getting traded.

Any clue as to whom that might be?

Or they are going to trade down and pick up a couple more pics.

Hogan11
02-17-2009, 04:42 AM

This is where I'm placing my bet.

socalorado
02-17-2009, 07:06 AM
Or they are going to trade down and pick up a couple more pics.

There could be a suprise restructing of a contract, and a trade to a team in need of a specific player. DENs defense is in complete rebuild mode, and they need high picks. Wouldnt suprise me at all.

BroncoBuff
02-17-2009, 07:20 AM
he's an FA if i recall
That's right ... Shanahan wanted to sign Ramsey to a long-term deal, but for some reason he did not re-sign.

As far as RBs BMan4Ever, most of those left are too cheap to waive ... Selvin makes the minimum I think, so there's no reason to waive him.

Here's a list of all the players' contracts: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_contracts.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=DEN

eddie mac
02-17-2009, 07:29 AM
There could be a suprise restructing of a contract, and a trade to a team in need of a specific player. DENs defense is in complete rebuild mode, and they need high picks. Wouldnt suprise me at all.

If you're thinking Champ or DJ, forget it. If Champ's deal is redone it'll only be via an expensive extension and wont be until he has another full fit season under his belt, hopefully after 2009.

cmhargrove
02-17-2009, 07:31 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing the team trade a 2010 second rounder, for an extra second rounder this year.

We are rebuilding, and there is plenty of great talent that will be available in the second round. It would give us a chance to address Safety + LB, DT, or RB.

I think it would be a really good move because whomever we pick in the second would have a good chance of being a starter this season. We need the first day talent now.

Kaylore
02-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Champ and DJ aren't going anywhere. Bly is expensive, but he's actually cheaper to keep than to cut or trade. We lose cap room if we move him early. It'll be like the Ian Gold situation where we keep him around that last year to cycle the rest of his salary off so the cap hit isn't bad.

I would have to agree with Eddie Mac that we don't do too much more. We're already 30 million under the cap. Outside of signing Champ to an extension, there is very little we can do to lower the cap significantly. We also have a lot of holes to fill. They'll probably sign some free agents, rummage through other people's garbage bin, make a trade for a pick or two, and then you probably won't see another slew of cuts until the end of camp after they've seen what their new toys can do.

socalorado
02-17-2009, 07:52 AM
If you're thinking Champ or DJ, forget it. If Champ's deal is redone it'll only be via an expensive extension and wont be until he has another full fit season under his belt, hopefully after 2009.

We will see. I never said Champ or DJ either.

DenverBrit
02-17-2009, 07:55 AM
I don't think cap room is an issue anymore, it's actual dollars that are going to be the problem everywhere.
This is the year the overpaid FA's take a big hit, making it a good opportunity to sign some good players to reasonable contracts.

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 12:00 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing the team trade a 2010 second rounder, for an extra second rounder this year.

We are rebuilding, and there is plenty of great talent that will be available in the second round. It would give us a chance to address Safety + LB, DT, or RB.

I think it would be a really good move because whomever we pick in the second would have a good chance of being a starter this season. We need the first day talent now.

we'd have to give our 2010 1st to get a 2nd this year

future picks are not worth as much as current picks.

Dudeskey
02-17-2009, 01:41 PM
I'll bet Terry Pierce is gone. He has to be in Shanny's doghouse after what he said about him this offseason...™ :p

snowspot66
02-17-2009, 02:25 PM

Which is kind of strange. If I were a GM I'd gladly take a hit on the points value if there wasn't somebody I really wanted. Plan ahead, if a future class is projected as strong in one of your weaknesses then trade the 2's and some change for another pick in the first. Or just keep rolling them back if you can find a partner. Always have some trade ammunition for that new toy you just have to have.

hades
02-17-2009, 02:35 PM
thats why I said we would resign him and then cut him again.

I think he has it in his Outlook tasks, every week one pops up to sign, then another to cut him. Poor guy.

ZONA
02-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Boss Baily
Patrick Ramsey
Andre Hall
Mcree

I would be willing to bet $100 that 3 of those 4 are not on the final Broncos roster next year.

elsid13
02-17-2009, 03:23 PM
Boss Baily
Patrick Ramsey
Andre Hall
Mcree

I would be willing to bet $100 that 3 of those 4 are not on the final Broncos roster next year.

Since 3 of the 4 are free agents, that isn't a good bet.

bowtown
02-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Cutler = Cancer

randomtask
02-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Cutler = Cancer

:saywhat: Wait, what?

cutthemdown
02-17-2009, 03:43 PM

This is spot on. Basically the whole draft value chart is out the window now. Teams no longer value the top 3 picks like the did before because of the upfront money you have to give.

I'd like to see the new value chart because the one Jimmy Johnson made and is all over the web is outdated now.

2nd round picks are actually very coveted and a team won't let one go for a pick in same round the next yr. GMS get canned every yr, they want the player now or an extra pick the next yr.

cutthemdown
02-17-2009, 03:47 PM
It going to come down to how much cash out of his bank account can Bowlen afford to part with. Let's say Bowlen caps it at 30 million in bonus money.

Since big name FA will ask for 10 mil upfront you can pretty much see that under that scenario maybe one big name, and then maybe 2 lower tier guys, then a couple role players and your done.

I just doubt he wants to part with 50 million or some crazy number like that in this economy. No doubt Broncos could fit a ton under the cap but really its all about upfront bonus money and guaranteed roster bonuses etc.

ZONA
02-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Since 3 of the 4 are free agents, that isn't a good bet.

sssshhhhhhh. You had to go and open your big mouth.........8')

JK

elsid13
02-17-2009, 03:55 PM
sssshhhhhhh. You had to go and open your big mouth.........8')

JK

Don't worry I am sure Baja will still take the bet

BroncoBuff
02-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Patrick Ramsey.
You Ramsey haters crack me up ... who exactly do you think is out there to have as a backup? Andrew Walter? Bradlee Van Pelt? Joey Harrington? Darryl Hackney? Brad Johnson's performance for Dallas this year should be all the proof you need ... even guys thought to be good backups can screw everything up when they play.

Supply and demand, guys ... it works with business inventoiries AND backup quarterbacks.

BroncoBuff
02-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Actually I think the Ramsey-haters will get their wish this year ... finally, after two years of BroncoBuff punking you :~ohyah!:

Shanahan tried to sign Ramsey to a longer deal this past season and he declined, so he'll probably go elsewhere on his own.

STRIKE UP THE BAND!

bowtown
02-17-2009, 04:16 PM
You Ramsey haters crack me up ... who exactly do you think is out there to have as a backup? Andrew Walter? Bradlee Van Pelt? Joey Harrington? Darryl Hackney? Brad Johnson's performance for Dallas this year should be all the proof you need ... even guys thought to be good backups can screw everything up when they play.

Supply and demand, guys ... it works with business inventoiries AND backup quarterbacks.

If even supposedly good backups can screw everything up, then what's the point in overspending for one?

I'll take whatever guy is going to be the best mentor for Cutler, beyond that, I could care less.

BroncoBuff
02-17-2009, 04:29 PM
I'll take whatever guy is going to be the best mentor for Cutler, beyond that, I could care less.
Well then Ramsey was your man .... according to the accounts of his mentoring of Jay.

Crushisback
02-17-2009, 05:38 PM
Danny Graham is gone, or he needs to be.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-17-2009, 05:58 PM

Why? You don't like excellent blockers that have developed into decent receivers?

BroncoBuff
02-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Not gonna happen, I don't know where you get that idea.

And it's kinda curious that Chad Jackson has thusfar avoided the axe. He's signed through at least next year. McDaniels knows Chad as well as anybody knows Chad ... so that might be good news.

elsid13
02-17-2009, 06:12 PM

And it's kinda curious that Chad Jackson has thusfar avoided the axe. He's signed through at least next year. McDaniels knows Chad as well as anybody knows Chad ... so that might be good news.

I believe Chad Jackson is one year deal

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 06:19 PM

maybe his release from NE was a Belicheat call and not a McD call. the guy was highly ranked and thought of coming out of college so the talent is there, maybe McD knows this and has decided to give him a shot.

bowtown
02-17-2009, 09:07 PM

Care to elaborate as to why you would like to get rid of the best blocking TE in football, considering you just got a coach who likes to use his TEs as blockers and decoys first and foremost? Want to expound on why you would like to get rid of one of our captains and a major leader in the locker room? I'm dying to hear this.

BroncoBuff
02-17-2009, 09:09 PM
I believe Chad Jackson is one year deal
He's signed for 2009, albeit to a cheap deal, about $500k.

His one catch against the Jets ... gotta admit that speed was an eye-opener.

~Crash~
02-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Why? You don't like excellent blockers that have developed into decent receivers?

he must hate the best blocking TE in the NFL him and Clady are # 1 blockers in that hole . yep he sucks:yayaya:

BroncoBuff
02-17-2009, 09:27 PM
I want we should cut Ryan McBean.

Just for having that name.

Ryan McBean.