PDA

View Full Version : Sammine Lee Hill story

elsid13
02-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Hill goal: Disrupt Tuskegee offense
By Andrew Carroll Sports Writer
Published: Friday, September 19, 2008 at 3:30 a.m.
Last Modified: Friday, September 19, 2008 at 12:42 a.m.
TUSCALOOSA | When Greg Thompson got the head coaching job for the Stillman College football team, he decided to put Sammie Lee Hill at defensive end.
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20080919/NEWS/809199948/1015&title=Hill_s_goal__Disrupt_Tuskegee_offense
'I think I announced it at the press conference,' Thompson said. 'I knew he was a defensive player.'

Hill, a preseason All-American, will be in action Saturday, when the Tigers play their first home game of the season. Tuskegee, riding an 18-game winning streak, comes to town for a 5 p.m. kickoff in Stillman Stadium.

'I approach it like any other game,' said Hill, who stands 6-foot-5 and weighs 325 pounds. 'I'm going to go out there and take care of my business and try to help my team win.'

Hill's business is to disrupt opposing offenses. Even though Hill has the size of an NFL defensive tackle, Thompson wanted him playing on the outside so Hill could avoid double-team blocks. Thompson also said that Hill's presence cuts the field in half by forcing the offense to run away from him.

'All the way around he's just been a solid rock in our program in terms of the leadership he has provided and how he has taken some of the young kids under his wing and worked with them,' Thompson said. 'Sometimes peer leadership plays an important role in the development of a football program. Sammie has been a tremendous asset to the coaching staff in terms of his leadership ability.'

In three games, Hill has 13 total tackles, including 2

/

stops for 22 yards in losses. Alex Dumeus, the defensive end on the opposite side, has 15 tackles, including 5

/

for 31 yards in losses.

Both were named to the preseason All-Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference team.

'We spend a lot of time trying to beat each other out,' Hill said. 'It really is a race to the football. We see who can make the tackle first.

'With football being a team sport, you put in your work all through the week and it pays off on Saturday. You get to have fun and do what you have to do.'

Hill did what he had to do in August last year when he helped rescue an elderly man from a burning building.

Hill and former Stillman players Denatay Heard and Kendrick Smith were driving back to campus when they noticed flames and smoke coming from a residence on Eighth Street. Cassandra Webb, who was outside the house, told them that her father, Curtis Webb Sr., was inside.

'God blessed us in that situation,' Hill said. 'If it was me and my parents were in that situation, I would want somebody to help me.

'We all grabbed hold of him and carried him out of the house. It's not a situation I ever thought I would be in, but that's the way I was raised. I was happy I did it.'

Thompson said Hill was mentioned in People magazine as a 'Hero of the Week.'

Hill said his mom, Gloria Hill, gave him a sense of values for life and taught him how to cook.

'She's a caterer and the best cook in the world,' Hill said. 'There's no way I got to be 325 pounds by looking at somebody else cook. I learned to feed myself at an early age.'

When Hill played for West Blocton High School, he saw action as a linebacker, tight end and defensive lineman and even did the kicking. Dennis Conner, Stillman's defensive coordinator, recruited Hill by telling him that he had All-American potential.

'He was also a heck of a basketball player,' Conner said. 'He's got good feet and good agility for his size. He never came off the field at West Blocton.

'This senior season for him is critical. He's got to play better and better each game. I think he does have a chance to go to the next level and have a totally different life.'

Brian Witherspoon, a former defensive back for Stillman, made it to the NFL and is playing as a rookie the with Jacksonville Jaguars.

Hill runs the 40-yard dash in 5 seconds. Conner said tackle Glenn Dorsey from LSU ran a 5.2 40. Dorsey was a No. 1 draft pick by the Kansas City Chiefs.

As a Stillman freshman Hill played at tight end and was on special teams. Thompson said Hill demonstrated his athletic ability on an extra-point attempt.

'He was the up-back on the PAT team,' Thompson said. 'We muffed the ball, and the kicker just threw it up blindly. Sammie reached back with his left hand and snagged the ball. Then he ran over two defenders for a two-point conversion.'

Hill, who is majoring in health and secondary education, plans to graduate in May. Regarding his future, he knows NFL scouts are charting his progress.

'My approach to my senior year is that I want to put in a lot of hard work and effort into what I'm doing, playing football and being a student, too,' Hill said. 'Being here made me better and more mature. I grew up at lot at Stillman.

'It made me into the man I think I'm going to be in the next couple of years.'

Reach Andrew Carroll at andrew.carroll@tuscaloosanews.com or at 205-722-0223.

Broncos_OTM
02-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Jeez, you have to like the kid. We could use guys like him on our team. Maybe he can play 5tech DE

lex
02-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Jeez, you have to like the kid. We could use guys like him on our team. Maybe he can play 5tech DE

Why not a 0 technique?

Dedhed
02-16-2009, 06:44 PM
6'5" 330 doesn't seem like a DE to me.

elsid13
02-16-2009, 07:08 PM
6'5" 330 doesn't seem like a DE to me.

Haloti Ngata (6-4 Weight: 345) actually started last year and beginning of this season at DE for the Ravens. Hill isn't as polished or talented right now, but he could a similiar role in defense.