PDA

View Full Version : Jaguars Release All-Pro RB Taylor

DenverFanMan6
02-16-2009, 11:48 AM
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - The Jacksonville Jaguars have released running back Fred Taylor, the latest move in the team's makeover.

Taylor was scheduled to make about $6 million next season, so getting rid of the 11-year veteran was no surprise since he had clearly become the second option behind Maurice Jones-Drew.

The Jaguars might try to re-sign the 33-year-old back. But Taylor has made it clear he still believes he can be a starter in the NFL.

Taylor is 16th on the NFL's all-time rushing list with 11,271 yards, 81 behind John Riggins. He had 556 yards on the ground last season, splitting time with Jones-Drew, and averaged a career-low 3.9 yards a carry behind an injury-riddled offensive line.

The Jaguars released veterans Jerry Porter and Drayton Florence last week.

Do we go after him?

Kaylore
02-16-2009, 11:50 AM
No. We should not bring him in.

JCMElway
02-16-2009, 11:59 AM
2k.

cutthemdown
02-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Naw hes too old. Broncos need players that can develop over next 3 yrs. Broncos are a young team there is no reason to try and bring in older players to make a run.

Best thing is to make every move to fit into a 3-5 yr plan. Be patient, draft smart, go after younger players with upside in FA, lock up the young ones you do have.

Now if you can grab a franchise player that wants to come to Denver then by all means you explore that. Peppers/Asomugha/Haynesworth are all guys that could at least fit a 3 yr plan etc. But any player that is already 31 or over I would say stay away from unless they are a really good deal for a stop gap player.

SoDak Bronco
02-16-2009, 12:05 PM
why not...I like the way he runs. Think Michael Pittman but with more moves

cmhargrove
02-16-2009, 12:24 PM
The Pats brought in Corey Dillon at about the same stage in his career, right?

I don't know that Taylor is McD's type of guy, but if there aren't many bidders, he might be good at the right price.

Killericon
02-16-2009, 12:28 PM
The Pats brought in Corey Dillon at about the same stage in his career, right?

I don't know that Taylor is McD's type of guy, but if there aren't many bidders, he might be good at the right price.

Not even close. Dillon is only a year older than Taylor.

Taco John
02-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Why wouldn't we want to bring in an old, injury prone runningback after the season we just had? Doesn't it make perfect sense to do so?

Kaylore
02-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Why wouldn't we want to bring in an old, injury prone runningback after the season we just had? Doesn't it make perfect sense to do so?

You'd think losing seven running backs in one season would make people tired of injury prone players.

BroncoMan4ever
02-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Naw hes too old. Broncos need players that can develop over next 3 yrs. Broncos are a young team there is no reason to try and bring in older players to make a run.

Best thing is to make every move to fit into a 3-5 yr plan. Be patient, draft smart, go after younger players with upside in FA, lock up the young ones you do have.

Now if you can grab a franchise player that wants to come to Denver then by all means you explore that. Peppers/Asomugha/Haynesworth are all guys that could at least fit a 3 yr plan etc. But any player that is already 31 or over I would say stay away from unless they are a really good deal for a stop gap player.

why go into a 3-5 year turnaround? the offense is in place as soon as we get a RB and a little more depth. and no matter what, the defense will be improved over last season, there is no possible way our defense could be worse than it was.
the Dolphins showed, as have a lot of other teams, Baltimore, they have shown you can turn it around in 1 season. we are in better shape than both those teams were and i truly don't think it would be out of the question to see us competing next season.

screw building for 3-5 years from now, use what we have in a possible incredible offense once we get a RB and build for next season.

look at the Patriots, they lose players and staff every year, and every year they rebuild for that season and remain among the elite. we just need to be smart in how we do it.

RunSilentRunDeep
02-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Bring him in for the minimum as the Designated Injury Back. All the other backs can rub his head before practice and games to put their bad karma on him.

colonelbeef
02-16-2009, 01:21 PM
hell no.

HELL NO.

hell no.

cmhargrove
02-16-2009, 01:40 PM
hell no.

HELL NO.

hell no.

What?

JCMElway
02-16-2009, 01:42 PM
What?

Um, I don't think that he's in favor of bring Taylor in. Just a hunch.

oubronco
02-16-2009, 01:44 PM
HELL to the NO !!!!

Arkie
02-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Fred's son is 1st-team all-state as an 8th grader!

1ST TEAM
Offense
QB Nick Bracewell, Mayo Lafayette, 6-2/190, Jr.
RB Tamorris Grace, Fort Meade, 5-9/175, Sr.
RB David Pittman, Hawthorne, 5-9/190, Sr.
RB Kelvin Taylor, Glades Day, 5-11/205, 8th
OL Joey Mroczkowski, Mayo Lafayette, 6-3/285, Sr.
OL Jonathan Inoa, Miami Dade Chr., 6-2/285, Sr.
OL Spencer White, Branford, 6-1/250, Sr.
OL Nahum St. Fort, Naples St. John Neumann, 6-3/310, Sr.
OL Josh Cuthbert, Glades Day, 5-10/260, Sr.
WR Xavier ****an, Moore Haven, 6-0/170, Sr.
WR Jamal Reid, Mayo Lafayette, 6-1/190, Sr.
PK Luke Cherry, Jacksonville Providence, 6-3/195, Sr.
UT Clint Trickett, Tallahassee North Florida Christian, 6-2/170, Jr.

Elway777
02-16-2009, 02:06 PM
I love Taylor and would sign him in a Heartbeat. Maybe sign him for 2 million for 2 years with a chance to earn more with incentives. Also sign Morris from Seattle and draft a guy like Jennings or Coffee in 5 round.

Beantown Bronco
02-16-2009, 02:20 PM
11 years in the league and he's only made it through all 16 games twice.

He turns 34 next season.

He's banged up and is coming off the worst season of his career.

I can't say no fast enough.

SoDak Bronco
02-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Brings Freds Son in!!

2KBack
02-16-2009, 07:11 PM
When did Fred Taylor make the All-pro team?

Inkana7
02-16-2009, 07:33 PM
He'd break off 2k in our system 5 years ago.

SportinOne
02-16-2009, 11:41 PM
I think it would be a great move. Of course, you would do it with the understanding that you can't rely solely on him, but if you can get one more guy through draft or free agency at RB then between Hillis, Torrain, Taylor, and that extra guy we have a formidable group of RB's who can at the very least take pressure off of the passing game. You give Taylor a chance to carry the load and if he faulters he faulters, but you give him that chance and that's the incentive for him to sign here. And on the cheap at that.

Nothing could be worse than relying on Torain, and i really don't want to wear down Hillis after that injury..

If we have a good defensive draft we can go RB early next year, if not, another stop gap, whatever. We'll find one eventually, they are a dime a dozen and are always getting injured, but they are also always popping up out of nowhere... especially in Denver.

TheChamp24
02-17-2009, 01:33 AM
It would be an idiotic move because a team should only sign him if they are on the verge of winning a title. He is just too old and would add no value to a young team that needs its youngsters to play.

Arkie
02-17-2009, 10:49 AM
When did Fred Taylor make the All-pro team?

2KBack
02-17-2009, 10:57 AM

he made the pro bowl, but wasn't an all-pro

Edit- My bad, he was second team

Kaylore
02-17-2009, 10:59 AM
he made the pro bowl, but wasn't an all-pro

He was the second team all-pro.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d805db597&template=with-video&confirm=true

cabronco
02-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Isnt there already a thread for non-Denver tidbits, news & info.. No wonder it was buried. :)

crowebomber
02-17-2009, 11:08 AM
It would be an idiotic move because a team should only sign him if they are on the verge of winning a title. He is just too old and would add no value to a young team that needs its youngsters to play.

Exactly. He has almost no potential past this year, so why waste a roster spot for this year when it could be filled with someone like a mid round guy who has some upside and potential. It's like on a high school team when you have a decision to keep that senior who has been on the bench for three years and will be again this year - or put a young freshman or sophomore in that spot who has a lot more potential and upside.

And for those who say he could "mentor" other backs - I have know idea what kind of mentor he is and which runningbacks on our team would be in need of Freddy's mentoring, so I don't think that would be worth the $ or the spot either.

2KBack
02-17-2009, 11:10 AM
He was the second team all-pro.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d805db597&template=with-video&confirm=true

just saw that, I was mistaken

We can continue discussing 2009's Garrison Hearst