PDA

View Full Version : Anyone live in the Northwest?

Br0nc0Buster
02-15-2009, 08:27 PM
I am just looking for some opinions about the weather, economy, and living costs of some of the bigger cities in the Northwest.

Possibly thinking of moving in that direction after I graduate.
I currently live in the midwest if that helps for anything.

Any opinions would be welcomed, thanks

Dukes
02-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Ask Bronco Buff

Goobzilla
02-15-2009, 08:39 PM
I live right in the middle between Seattle & Portland and I prefer Portland. Big, but not too big and very accessable public transportation if that's your thing. Boise is awesome too. Seattle is probably the most expensive city in the NW to live.

snowspot66
02-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Lived in Portland a couple years. Very accessible. Wasn't cheap but wasn't absurd. Weather was rain constantly. Lots of grey skies. It's a pretty nice city though. Lots to do. Not too many neighborhoods you'll want to avoid.

Wes Mantooth
02-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Portland is nice. As Snow said it rains. Not as much as Seattle, but it seasonally rains. Willamette valley is quite nice spring through much of the fall.

SnowGoose77
02-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Boise is much smaller than Portland and Seattle. It's also a lot drier here. Can go months without any or much rain in the late spring/summer/fall. Very poor public transportation system but then again it's not nearly as large as the other two cities. I can't speak for the cost of living of Portland or Seattle but Boise has to be a lot cheaper I would think. Extremely close to lots of activities in the mountains if that's your thing. Oh yeah, our college football team is called the Broncos also. That'a a plus LOL

PaintballCLE
02-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Boise is much smaller than Portland and Seattle. It's also a lot drier here. Can go months without any or much rain in the late spring/summer/fall. Very poor public transportation system but then again it's not nearly as large as the other two cities. I can't speak for the cost of living of Portland or Seattle but Boise has to be a lot cheaper I would think. Extremely close to lots of activities in the mountains if that's your thing. Oh yeah, our college football team is called the Broncos also. That'a a plus LOL

and lots and lots of potatos!

ColoradoDarin
02-15-2009, 10:24 PM
I live 90 mins south of Portland. You need to be prepared for 4-6 months of overcast rainy days with very few breaks.

Wes Mantooth
02-15-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm from Colorado and have adjusted to weather here. It does take time. What gets lost in the gray weather, is the fact that it seldom drops below 32 degrees (except this year!)

Dudeskey
02-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Now Portland's one area I'd like to live in if I could afford it...™

footstepsfrom#27
02-15-2009, 10:37 PM
My kid sister lives in Bellingham WA. I go up there to visit a couple times a year...awesome place to live with the weather and the ocean so close, and Vancouver is easy driving distance. Vancouver is very cool. If I ever move out of Texas I'm heading up there.

Dudeskey
02-15-2009, 10:39 PM
My kid sister lives in Bellingham WA. I go up there to visit a couple times a year...awesome place to live with the weather and the ocean so close, and Vancouver is easy driving distance. Vancouver is very cool. If I ever move out of Texas I'm heading up there.

Cool thing about living in Vancouver is you're still close enough to drive into Oregon to avoid paying sales tax when you go shopping...™

footstepsfrom#27
02-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Cool thing about living in Vancouver is you're still close enough to drive into Oregon to avoid paying sales tax when you go shopping...™
Yep...Vancouver is like a mini San Francisco. My sis used to live in Blaine WA...farthest northern town in the continental US, and on weekends this little burg grew by about 300% with all the Canadians coming down to buy stuff.

Bronco Bob
02-15-2009, 10:50 PM
I am just looking for some opinions about the weather, economy, and living costs of some of the bigger cities in the Northwest.

I was in Bremerton for 6 months when I was in the Navy. Rained every day.
Seemed like a nice area other than that. Got free meals and housing so
I don't know about the living costs.

Dudeskey
02-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Seemed like a nice area other than that. Got free meals and housing so
I don't know about the living costs.

Only been there once, nice area & real cool seeing some of the naval ships there. But damn getting around there in a big truck is difficult. Now I think that Tacoma narrows bridge is a toll bridge- assholes...™;D

Wes Mantooth
02-15-2009, 11:17 PM

You could live outside of PDX for alot cheaper. Willsonville comes to mind (10 minutes). I am 40 minutes away in Salem and it is much cheaper.

BroncoBuff
02-16-2009, 12:46 AM
I don't get this ... I've been here in Seattle five years next month, and it simply does not rain here like the rumors go, I'm telling you it doesn't. It's rained maybe three days out of 15 this month, just once hard and for longer than an a couple hours. 5-6 days a month is about average for the winter half of the year. In the summer though, it sometimes goes weeks without rain.

I'll admit I miss the heck out of LA, though. I lived in West LA fifteen straight years before here, and there's no excitement like L.A. excitement. But Seattle has a refinement and sophistication unlike anyplace I've ever lived. For example, it's a real novelty here to run into somebody who doesn't speak English, there's very few of them ... a pretty big Asian population, but they seem nicer here than in LA for some reason. Seattle has been named the "most literate city in America" like three years of the five we've been here, that's a big part of the area. There's huge library, city bus and arts funding ... Seattle has its own Ballet, Opera and Symphony. It's more than Starbucks, there's cool coffehouses all over the place. There's tons of ouitdoorsy people here ... the Eddie Bauer lifestyle is far more than just fashion, it's really a way of life, much much more than in Denver, though I always thought growing up that Denver was a big outdoorsy culture. For example, almost every singloe home here has an extra wide driveway with "RV Hookup" for boats and RVs or whatever.

BroncoBuff
02-16-2009, 12:54 AM
Bronco Bob .... we took a cruise to Bremerton on a ferry last Summer, I bet you recognize a few of these shots:

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/8168/ferryarivekh5.jpg

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/8892/stadiumssh8.jpg

Qwest and Safeco ... red arrow points to the Amazon.com building.

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/1058/cruiseneedledf5.jpg
Space Needle and the Holland (slightly more advanced than we're on) Cruiseship

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/6196/skylinegoodbyeen9.jpg

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/8625/bremertonharborsy9.jpg

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/6749/shipyardro4.jpg
I don't think they make too many ships at Bremerton shipyards anymore ...

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/7438/navyshippj3.jpg

broncoblue
02-16-2009, 03:37 AM
i live in north west england will this help :P

TailgateNut
02-16-2009, 07:29 AM

Anything's better than KANSAS. ;D

Dukes
02-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Anything's better than KANSAS. ;D

Detroit ???

elsid13
02-16-2009, 07:58 AM
Only been there once, nice area & real cool seeing some of the naval ships there. But damn getting around there in a big truck is difficult. Now I think that Tacoma narrows bridge is a toll bridge- a-holes...™;D

just one way $3.00. You can also take the ferry over to Seattle. But Bremerton isn't exactly a hot bed for social life. But they have great brew pub there in Silverdale

TailgateNut
02-16-2009, 08:12 AM
Detroit ???

Never been there, but I've been "through" Kansas a few times, and I always try to hurry to the state line.:wiggle:

Broncobuddy7
02-16-2009, 09:08 AM
I've been in SoCal for a few years now (because of work) but lived in Portland for twelve years. I fully plan on moving back there one day. Yes it does rain, but you get use to it. 80 percent of the rainfall occurs within a six month period. Nothing beats a NW summer. The weather is perfect, the people are friendly, and both OR & WA are two of the greenest states in the country (speaking both physically and in terms of being environmentally friendly). The public transportation system in Portland is amazing. Portland has the largest urban wilderness area within any US city. It's also home to the largest number of microbrewerys in the country. If you love the outdoors there is surfing, windsurfing, skiing, snowboarding, hiking, mountain climbing, fishing, hunting... you get the picture.

Tombstone RJ
02-16-2009, 09:26 AM
I don't get this ... I've been here in Seattle five years next month, and it simply does not rain here like the rumors go, I'm telling you it doesn't. It's rained maybe three days out of 15 this month, just once hard and for longer than an a couple hours. 5-6 days a month is about average for the winter half of the year. In the summer though, it sometimes goes weeks without rain.

I'll admit I miss the heck out of LA, though. I lived in West LA fifteen straight years before here, and there's no excitement like L.A. excitement. But Seattle has a refinement and sophistication unlike anyplace I've ever lived. For example, it's a real novelty here to run into somebody who doesn't speak English, there's very few of them ... a pretty big Asian population, but they seem nicer here than in LA for some reason. Seattle has been named the "most literate city in America" like three years of the five we've been here, that's a big part of the area. There's huge library, city bus and arts funding ... Seattle has its own Ballet, Opera and Symphony. It's more than Starbucks, there's cool coffehouses all over the place. There's tons of ouitdoorsy people here ... the Eddie Bauer lifestyle is far more than just fashion, it's really a way of life, much much more than in Denver, though I always thought growing up that Denver was a big outdoorsy culture. For example, almost every singloe home here has an extra wide driveway with "RV Hookup" for boats and RVs or whatever.

I spent a week in Seattle as a young man, working for "the man." I was there for a convention and let me say, it was a fantastic experience. I was in a hotel right down town and I did all the touron things.

Did not rain one day. Sunny skies every day.

I know why people love Seattle. Went to Jimi Hendrix house. Went to the botanical gardens. Went to the University of Washington. Went to a Mariners(sp?). Went out to eat. Went to an island for dinner. Saw the fish tossing thing. Went to the Boeing factory.

Didn't get alot of work done.

Seattle is great, but I think it suffers from it's own success. Traffic and congestions were the only problems I saw. Cost of living is an issue too, esp. if you want to live in the middle of everything.

Doggcow
02-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Downtown Seattle sucks ass.

BroncoBuff
02-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Seattle is great, but I think it suffers from it's own success. Traffic and congestions were the only problems I saw. Cost of living is an issue too, esp. if you want to live in the middle of everything.
Yeah, we're top 10 worst traffic cities. Mostly I-5 and 405, they can be a real mess. And cost of living I suppose is kind of high, though not much different from the west side of L.A. where I had been before.

I'll give you one crazy idea we've been tossing around ... as crazy as it sounds, I might be getting rid of my car. Since I moved downtown about a year ago, I'm paying $165, now $190 per month just to park. And it's not good parking either, it's 1/2 block away, on the 6th (or higher) floor of an 8-floor parking structure. And by the time I go up in the elevator, walk to the car, drive a-l-l t-h-e w-a-y across the length of the thing to the turnaround ... then go d-o-w-n t-h-e s-l-o-p-e to the 5th floor ... drive a-l-l t-h-e w-a-y across the length of the thing to the turnaround ... then go d-o-w-n t-h-e s-l-o-p-e to the 4th floor ... and on and on til the ground floor, slip my card in the reader. By the time I actually hit the street it can be as much as 10-15 minutes since I walked out my door.

Even worse, there's this great company here called "ZipCar," that once you join, your card allows you to just take any ZipCar immediately, anywhere they're parked downtown ... and they have little pairs of parking spots all over the place downtown "ZipCar Lives Here." Two spots are right next to the elevator I take up to the 6th floor of the parking structure ... so I gotta look at those two cars while I wait for the elevator to come down :oyvey:

http://www.bowdoin.edu/news/archives/images/ZipcarsLiveHere200.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2166/2260619101_b7d5f3a712_m.jpg

BroncoBuff
02-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Downtown Seattle sucks ass.

Definitely ... since I moved to downtown Seattle, I've continued my weight loss, 70+ pounds lost in two years (lots of it from my ass, so you're right).

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2615/n1580720728899142465bu9.jpg

PRBronco
02-16-2009, 02:05 PM

Hold up, what's all this? No sales tax in Oregon? I just moved to Vancouver, I was pumped on being able to head down to Bellingham every once in a while and not having to take the damn ferry...should I be going further and hitting up Portland?

Hamrob
02-16-2009, 06:07 PM
I just moved to the Dallas area from Seattle. I spend 6yrs there. I was in a Regional position and covered WA, OR, ID, MT, CA, CO, AZ and UT. I liked the Seattle area...it's one of the prettiest places in the states I think.

It didn't rain there all the time...like most think...in fact, it's not even top 5 in rain fall across the U.S. The thing that did get to me was that it's grey quite alot...not alot of sun there. The Summers are beautiful, but rarely above mid 80's.

Portland in alot of ways is the same as Seattle weather wise and the traffic in both cities is absolutely terrible. Lot's to do in the Northwest though...especially if you like the outdoors. Living in Seattle, you're a few hours away from Portland and even less to Vancouver...can't ask for better than that.

I spent alot of time in Boise...and that place is growing like crazy. Pretty nice city that is down right cheap compared to Seattle/Portland. They love their Broncos...eh' Boise State that is.

For me, the NW was a nice place to experience...but I wanted to get back to the sun...which is why I'm in Texas now.

Sodak
02-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Dood. There's Bigfoot's and stuff... :thumbs:

BroncoBuff
02-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Wow ... nobody gives me props for how I turned around Dogcows insult?

Whatever .....

BMF Bronco
02-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Montana sucks ass, stay away, you'd hate it!

Quoydogs
02-16-2009, 11:47 PM

Hey That's were I live, also lived in boise. Boise is great if you don't mind the church of LDS ruling you. Man there is no better place to live other then the church is every where you go!!!!! You can't get away. It's like a horror movie it just keeps chancing you.

Now portland is great, great people, big fish and lots of them, hunting is so so but then again I come from Idaho and it just does not get much better then that.

One of my tech has a 25 year old girlfriend that does not have a driver licence so ya the the public trans is great. You can get every where you need or want to go untill say 3:00 in the morning. The bad the pay is great for min. wage 8.40 an hour but regular pay sucks. There are NO JOBS here now. Man people freak out here worse then anywhere I have lived. When they say we may go into a depression we go. We were looking at buying a house in the neibour hood we live in a couple of years ago and were going to have to fight for a house because there were none.

Now there are 60 some within two miles. It's tough over here righ now.

Boise is the place to go if you can handle church and I mean the Mormans. If you have kids and want them to go anywhere in life and your not a mormon its not the place to go.

Anyways hope this helps

J.C.

Tombstone RJ
02-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Yeah, we're top 10 worst traffic cities. Mostly I-5 and 405, they can be a real mess. And cost of living I suppose is kind of high, though not much different from the west side of L.A. where I had been before.

I'll give you one crazy idea we've been tossing around ... as crazy as it sounds, I might be getting rid of my car. Since I moved downtown about a year ago, I'm paying $165, now $190 per month just to park. And it's not good parking either, it's 1/2 block away, on the 6th (or higher) floor of an 8-floor parking structure. And by the time I go up in the elevator, walk to the car, drive a-l-l t-h-e w-a-y across the length of the thing to the turnaround ... then go d-o-w-n t-h-e s-l-o-p-e to the 5th floor ... drive a-l-l t-h-e w-a-y across the length of the thing to the turnaround ... then go d-o-w-n t-h-e s-l-o-p-e to the 4th floor ... and on and on til the ground floor, slip my card in the reader. By the time I actually hit the street it can be as much as 10-15 minutes since I walked out my door.

Even worse, there's this great company here called "ZipCar," that once you join, your card allows you to just take any ZipCar immediately, anywhere they're parked downtown ... and they have little pairs of parking spots all over the place downtown "ZipCar Lives Here." Two spots are right next to the elevator I take up to the 6th floor of the parking structure ... so I gotta look at those two cars while I wait for the elevator to come down :oyvey:

http://www.bowdoin.edu/news/archives/images/ZipcarsLiveHere200.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2166/2260619101_b7d5f3a712_m.jpg

Talk about marketing genius. Pay for a zip car card and do away with your own car, why not? Esp. if your spending 75% in the metro area anyway.

I can live with that. I bet paying for a zip card is less per year than a freaking car payment.

Do you still have to have your own insurance to drive a zip car?

Tombstone RJ
02-17-2009, 09:37 AM
Hey That's were I live, also lived in boise. Boise is great if you don't mind the church of LDS ruling you. Man there is no better place to live other then the church is every where you go!!!!! You can't get away. It's like a horror movie it just keeps chancing you.

Now portland is great, great people, big fish and lots of them, hunting is so so but then again I come from Idaho and it just does not get much better then that.

One of my tech has a 25 year old girlfriend that does not have a driver licence so ya the the public trans is great. You can get every where you need or want to go untill say 3:00 in the morning. The bad the pay is great for min. wage 8.40 an hour but regular pay sucks. There are NO JOBS here now. Man people freak out here worse then anywhere I have lived. When they say we may go into a depression we go. We were looking at buying a house in the neibour hood we live in a couple of years ago and were going to have to fight for a house because there were none.

Now there are 60 some within two miles. It's tough over here righ now.

Boise is the place to go if you can handle church and I mean the Mormans. If you have kids and want them to go anywhere in life and your not a mormon its not the place to go.

Anyways hope this helps

J.C.

I love Portland because of one reason, and one reason only: One of my all time favorite movies takes place in Portland--DRUGSTORE COWBOY with Kelly Lynch and Matt Dillon (Matt Dillon's finest performance ever).

Do yourself a favor and rent it.

Garcia Bronco
02-17-2009, 09:55 AM
i live in north west england will this help :P

My ancestory is from Anglesey.

Dendave
02-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Detroit ???

I love Detroit, been here my whole life, traveled around the world, almost been to all 50 states...no place I would rather live. are we going through a rough time? sure but why would major events happen here if it were all doom and gloom? I will be curious to see how the public protrays us during the Final Four

read this article

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/the_bonus/01/07/detroit/index.html

here is an excerpt:

And yet it's our misery to endure. There's a little too much glee in the Detroit jokes these days. A little too much flip in the wrist that tosses dirt on our coffins. We hear a Tennessee player tell the media that the Thanksgiving win didn't mean much because "it was just Detroit." We hear Jay Leno rip our scandalous former mayor, Kwame Kilpatrick, by saying, "The bad news is, he could be forced out of office. The good news is, any time you get a chance to get out of Detroit, take it."

We hear Congress tongue-lash our auto executives for not matching the cheaper wages of foreign car companies. We hear South Carolina senator Jim DeMint tell NPR that "the barnacles of unionism" must be destroyed at GM, Ford and Chrysler. Barnacles? Barnacles are parasites without a conscience. Sounds more like politicians to us.

Enough, we want to say. The Lions stink. We know they stink. You don't have to tell us. Enough. The car business is in trouble. We know it's in trouble. We drive past the deserted parking lots of empty auto plants every day.

Enough. We don't need more lofty national newspaper laments on the decay of a Rust Belt city. Or the obligatory network news piece, "Can Detroit Be Saved?" For too long we have been the Place to Go to Chronicle the Ugly. Example: For years, we had a rash of fires the night before Halloween -- Devil's Night. And like clockwork, you could count on TV crews to fly in from out of town in hopes of catching Detroit burning. Whoomf. There we were in flames, on network TV. But when we got the problem under control, when city-sponsored neighborhood programs helped douse it, you never heard about that. The TV crews just shrugged and left.

Same goes for the favorite Detroit cliché of so many pundits: the image of a burning police car in 1984, after the Tigers won the World Series. Yes, some folks went stupid that night, and an eighth-grade dropout nicknamed Bubba held up a Tigers pennant in front of that burning vehicle, and -- snap-snap -- that was the only photo anyone seemed to need.

Never mind that in the years since, many cities have done as badly or worse after championships -- Boston and Chicago come to mind -- and weren't labeled for it. Never mind that through three NBA titles, four Stanley Cups, Michigan's national championships in college basketball and football, and even another World Series, nothing of that nature has occurred again in Detroit. Never mind. You still hear people, when we play for a title, uncork the old "Let's hope they don't burn the city down when it's over."

Look, we're the first to say we've got problems. But there's something disturbing when American reporters keep deliciously recording our demise but nobody wants to do anything about it. We're not your pity party. You want to chronicle us? We've been chronicled enough. As they say when a basketball rolls away at the playground, Yo, little help?

This is why our recent beatdown in Congress was so painfully felt. To watch our Big Three execs humiliated as if they never did a right thing in their lives, to watch U.S. senators from Southern states -- where billions in tax breaks were handed out to foreign car companies -- tear apart the U.S. auto industry as undeserving of aid, well, that was the last straw.

Enough. We're not gum on the bottom of America's shoe. We're not grime to be wiped off with a towel. Detroit and Michigan are part of the backbone of this country, the manufacturing spine, the heart of the middle class -- heck, we invented the middle class, we invented the idea that a factory worker can put in 40 hours a week and actually buy a house and send a kid to college. What? You have a problem with that? You think only lawyers and hedge-fund kings deserve to live decently?
To watch these lawmakers hand out, with barely a whisper, hundreds of billions to the financial firms that helped cause this current disaster, then make the Big Three beg like dogs and slap them with nothing? Honestly. There are times out here we feel like orphans.

Tombstone RJ
02-17-2009, 10:45 AM
I love Detroit, been here my whole life, traveled around the world, almost been to all 50 states...no place are we going through a rough time? sure but why would major events happen here if it were all doom and gloom? I will be curious to see how the public protrays us during the Final Four

read this article

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/the_bonus/01/07/detroit/index.html

here is an excerpt:

And yet it's our misery to endure. There's a little too much glee in the Detroit jokes these days. A little too much flip in the wrist that tosses dirt on our coffins. We hear a Tennessee player tell the media that the Thanksgiving win didn't mean much because "it was just Detroit." We hear Jay Leno rip our scandalous former mayor, Kwame Kilpatrick, by saying, "The bad news is, he could be forced out of office. The good news is, any time you get a chance to get out of Detroit, take it."

We hear Congress tongue-lash our auto executives for not matching the cheaper wages of foreign car companies. We hear South Carolina senator Jim DeMint tell NPR that "the barnacles of unionism" must be destroyed at GM, Ford and Chrysler. Barnacles? Barnacles are parasites without a conscience. Sounds more like politicians to us.

Enough, we want to say. The Lions stink. We know they stink. You don't have to tell us. Enough. The car business is in trouble. We know it's in trouble. We drive past the deserted parking lots of empty auto plants every day.

Enough. We don't need more lofty national newspaper laments on the decay of a Rust Belt city. Or the obligatory network news piece, "Can Detroit Be Saved?" For too long we have been the Place to Go to Chronicle the Ugly. Example: For years, we had a rash of fires the night before Halloween -- Devil's Night. And like clockwork, you could count on TV crews to fly in from out of town in hopes of catching Detroit burning. Whoomf. There we were in flames, on network TV. But when we got the problem under control, when city-sponsored neighborhood programs helped douse it, you never heard about that. The TV crews just shrugged and left.

Same goes for the favorite Detroit cliché of so many pundits: the image of a burning police car in 1984, after the Tigers won the World Series. Yes, some folks went stupid that night, and an eighth-grade dropout nicknamed Bubba held up a Tigers pennant in front of that burning vehicle, and -- snap-snap -- that was the only photo anyone seemed to need.

Never mind that in the years since, many cities have done as badly or worse after championships -- Boston and Chicago come to mind -- and weren't labeled for it. Never mind that through three NBA titles, four Stanley Cups, Michigan's national championships in college basketball and football, and even another World Series, nothing of that nature has occurred again in Detroit. Never mind. You still hear people, when we play for a title, uncork the old "Let's hope they don't burn the city down when it's over."

Look, we're the first to say we've got problems. But there's something disturbing when American reporters keep deliciously recording our demise but nobody wants to do anything about it. We're not your pity party. You want to chronicle us? We've been chronicled enough. As they say when a basketball rolls away at the playground, Yo, little help?

This is why our recent beatdown in Congress was so painfully felt. To watch our Big Three execs humiliated as if they never did a right thing in their lives, to watch U.S. senators from Southern states -- where billions in tax breaks were handed out to foreign car companies -- tear apart the U.S. auto industry as undeserving of aid, well, that was the last straw.

Enough. We're not gum on the bottom of America's shoe. We're not grime to be wiped off with a towel. Detroit and Michigan are part of the backbone of this country, the manufacturing spine, the heart of the middle class -- heck, we invented the middle class, we invented the idea that a factory worker can put in 40 hours a week and actually buy a house and send a kid to college. What? You have a problem with that? You think only lawyers and hedge-fund kings deserve to live decently?
To watch these lawmakers hand out, with barely a whisper, hundreds of billions to the financial firms that helped cause this current disaster, then make the Big Three beg like dogs and slap them with nothing? Honestly. There are times out here we feel like orphans.

eh, ehhhh, last time I checked Detroit ain't in the Northwest. North, yes. Northwest, no.

Dendave
02-17-2009, 10:50 AM
eh, ehhhh, last time I checked Detroit ain't in the Northwest. North, yes. Northwest, no.

I didn't bring Detroit into the post, Dukes did, I was just responding to that

Dudeskey
02-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Hold up, what's all this? No sales tax in Oregon? I just moved to Vancouver, I was pumped on being able to head down to Bellingham every once in a while and not having to take the damn ferry...should I be going further and hitting up Portland?

LOL Hey, why the hell not...™

BroncoBuff
02-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Talk about marketing genius. Pay for a zip car card and do away with your own car, why not? Esp. if your spending 75% in the metro area anyway.

I can live with that. I bet paying for a zip card is less per year than a freaking car payment. My car payment now is $277, plus insurance that went way up downtown, plus $190/month to park ... it's costing me about $550/month plus gas and upkeep - plus depreciation of this thing too - all for a car I'm driving maybe 3 days a week. Plus it takes me 10 minutes between walking out my door and hitting the street. Do I sound like I'm trying to convince myself? I think I am ... I've never been without a car for more than a week or so, and it sounds kinda weird ... I think I'd feel like ... less than a man ::)

Do you still have to have your own insurance to drive a zip car?You pick your own ZipCar plan, there are several of them certian numbers of uses, hours, coverage, etc. And I , and your magnetic card records all your usage, and they send you a bill eachmonth. You can check your charges online as you go.

SureShot
02-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Wow ... nobody gives me props for how I turned around Dogcows insult?

Whatever .....

Well you should have used the pick of the Space Needle coming out of your pants and wrote, "suck this". :approve:

Dendave
02-17-2009, 03:07 PM
You pick your own ZipCar plan, there are several of them certian numbers of uses, hours, coverage, etc. And I , and your magnetic card records all your usage, and they send you a bill eachmonth. You can check your charges online as you go.

What if there is no gas in it? Who's responsible for that? If it's an electric car, what if it's not charged? Will you fight over a car if you are in a hurry? Can you park it a a store or bar and go in? Can someone take it from you, if you are gone for awhile? Just wondering.

STBumpkin
02-17-2009, 05:29 PM
I grew up in Montrose Colorado and have lived an hour north of Seattle for over 2 years now. No it doesn't rain every day, but it is cloudy alot more than I was used to. In CO we had 300 days of sun a year, here it is closer to 300 days of cloud a year. Don't get me wrong, it's gorgeous when it is sunny, but it isn't sunny as often. Also, if you get seasonal depression (because of how short the days are in the winter) you might become depressed here (I do a bit). Not too expensive, about the same as CO.

Taco John
02-17-2009, 05:46 PM
I love it here in Vancouver, WA. I find it to be paradise. The beach an hour away. The mountains an hour away. The big city just a 15 minute drive. 75 degrees in the summer. 45 degrees in the winter. Green all the time. The freshest air. And (for the most part) good people.

BroncoBuff
02-17-2009, 05:52 PM
What if there is no gas in it? Who's responsible for that? If it's an electric car, what if it's not charged? Will you fight over a car if you are in a hurry? Can you park it a a store or bar and go in? Can someone take it from you, if you are gone for awhile? Just wondering.
Those are good questions ... I dunno what they do with gas. I'll check and let you know.

If you get seasonal depression (because of how short the days are in the winter) you might become depressed here (I do a bit). Not too expensive, about the same as CO.
Gotta be way north of Everett ... closer to Bellingham maybe? That's almost Canada, eh.

Great point about the light/dark thing ... most people don't realize it because maps of the U.S. are titled to the left to appear more "centered," but Seattle is further north than the tip of Maine. So yes, the winter days are shorter than most places. And I dunno about 300 days overcast, that's not the case here in Seattle. I should admit I like overcast and even rain to a certain degree ... I love me some negative ions ... mmmmmmmm.

elsid13
02-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Those are good questions ... I dunno what they do with gas. I'll check and let you know.

Gotta be way north of Everett ... closer to Bellingham maybe? That's almost Canada, eh.

Great point about the light/dark thing ... most people don't realize it because maps of the U.S. are titled to the left to appear more "centered," but Seattle is further north than the tip of Maine. So yes, the winter days are shorter than most places. And I dunno about 300 days overcast, that's not the case here in Seattle. I should admit I like overcast and even rain to a certain degree ... I love me some negative ions ... mmmmmmmm.

You fill the Zip car after you're done with it. You can also reserve the thing online if you need a particular type of car/wagon/truck. I do believe that if you fail to take care of the thing you either get a charge or get blacklisted.

~Crash~
02-17-2009, 09:02 PM
I've been in SoCal for a few years now (because of work) but lived in Portland for twelve years. I fully plan on moving back there one day. Yes it does rain, but you get use to it. 80 percent of the rainfall occurs within a six month period. Nothing beats a NW summer. The weather is perfect, the people are friendly, and both OR & WA are two of the greenest states in the country (speaking both physically and in terms of being environmentally friendly). The public transportation system in Portland is amazing. Portland has the largest urban wilderness area within any US city. It's also home to the largest number of microbrewerys in the country. If you love the outdoors there is surfing, windsurfing, skiing, snowboarding, hiking, mountain climbing, fishing, hunting... you get the picture.

all of that for sure I visited there and I came to the conclusion it is the best place on earth . Portland is flower heaven also...there is about anything on earth with in 80 miles if it has anything to with the out doors . mountain biking there is as good as it gets .

Bronco Bob
02-17-2009, 11:04 PM

Global Climate Changes? :~ohyah!:
I'll admit I was there several years ago, January 1975 to June 1975.
And the rain did sort of let up as it got later in the year.

Bronco Bob .... we took a cruise to Bremerton on a ferry last Summer, I bet you recognize a few of these shots:

Looks sort of familiar. I rode the ferry quite a bit, but I'm not sure
it was that one. I suspect they probably have newer ones by now.

I was on the aircraft carrier USS Constellation CV64 and we went there
to have the ship modified to handle F-14s and the Phoenix missiles,
as well as other general overhaul. Bremerton had a dry dock big enough
to hold a carrier aircraft carrier. That was quite a sight, to see a whole
aircraft carrier up out of the water. They also had the mothball fleet
there. Bunch of old ww2 carriers, and even the battleship Missouri.
I guess now with all the base closings and downsizing of the Navy
they must have scaled back operations there too.

BroncoBuff
02-18-2009, 12:13 AM
I was on the aircraft carrier USS Constellation CV64 and we went there
to have the ship modified to handle F-14s and the Phoenix missiles,
as well as other general overhaul. Bremerton had a dry dock big enough
to hold a carrier aircraft carrier. That was quite a sight, to see a whole
aircraft carrier up out of the water. They also had the mothball fleet
there. Bunch of old ww2 carriers, and even the battleship Missouri.
I guess now with all the base closings and downsizing of the Navy
they must have scaled back operations there too.
Really ... a carrier? Lots of the Navy carriers dock at Everett, about 30 miles north of Seattle, I've seen the Ronald Reagan there, which is I think the newest and largest one. Here's the Abraham Lincoln from Google Maps Satellite:

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1818/16246731lm9.jpg
BLUE is Everett where the carriers are (also where Boeing builds all the wide-bodies)
GREEN is Canada
RED is Arlington where STBumpkin lives
Seattle is at the bottom

Gawd I love me some maps I'm such a dork .... I wish I could get a job finding maps and pointing out things like this. It's a rare sickness I know, and I've got it bad ::)

BroncoBuff
02-18-2009, 12:39 AM
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/6749/shipyardro4.jpg
Bronco Bob ... look closely at this photo - that's the building in Bremerton that says "Puget Sound Naval Shipyards." You must remember that ???

elsid13
02-18-2009, 03:50 AM
Bronco Bob ... look closely at this photo - that's the building in Bremerton that says "Puget Sound Naval Shipyards." You must remember that ???

Unless his ship came into PSNS for overhaul he wouldn't have been at the shipyard.