PDA

View Full Version : mike brown's available. anyone interested?

jtomm
02-15-2009, 09:06 AM
i know he is injury prone, buuuut...

The Bears have "decided to cut ties with" nine-year veteran FS Mike Brown.
This was expected, as GM Jerry Angelo said a month ago that he couldn't envision a scenario where Brown would return. Angelo is high on Danieal Manning, who is expected to be moved into Brown's starting role. With his injury history, Brown will likely have to accept a short-term, incentive-laden deal elsewhere.

bronco militia
02-15-2009, 09:11 AM
With his injury history, Brown will likely have to accept a short-term, incentive-laden deal elsewhere.

if so, I say hell yeah.

backup qb
02-15-2009, 09:16 AM
And then we will all be bitchin cuz we took another chance on an injury risk.

broncos-rock
02-15-2009, 09:31 AM
I would approve this he is certainly a playmaker when healthy

ZONA
02-15-2009, 09:34 AM
YES.

This is the exact type of "stop gap" player we need at Safety. This would allow us to focus our draft on DL and some backers, maybe pick up a Safety project in the later rounds.

oubronco
02-15-2009, 09:40 AM
OH HELL YES surely he won't be injured every year and when he's on the field he's a very good safety and exactly what we need

mr007
02-15-2009, 09:47 AM
This is a no brainer. For anyone who has seen Mike Brown play (while healthy), he is a top talent safety and would be worth the risk given the type of contract he would demand. With all the crap FA acquisitions we've made in the past, this would be a good one.

WyoLaw
02-15-2009, 09:47 AM
No!

tsiguy96
02-15-2009, 09:51 AM
absolutely. we need help at safety, along with a TON of other positions, and we cant do it all in one year. perfect stop gap for a year or two.

Inkana7
02-15-2009, 09:54 AM
No way. Healthy guys get injured here. He'd risk his life by becoming a Denver Bronco.

UberBroncoMan
02-15-2009, 10:16 AM
"Mike Brown is also noted by teammates and coaches for his on-field coaching ability. He made the NFL transitions much easier for his fellow safeties Chris Harris (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Harris_%28football_player%29) and Danieal Manning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danieal_Manning) by making sure they were in the correct positions. Brian Urlacher often referred to him as the actual leader of the defense"

For a short team incentive laden deal that protects us against injury??? Hell Yes!

I still don't know why we didn't do the same thing with Boss.

brother love
02-15-2009, 10:34 AM
He is better than anyone they had last year.

Why not.

NFLBRONCO
02-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Do we always have to go after often injured players to upgrade our d? I understand when he's healthy he's better then the garbage we have now.
Does he upgrade our D sitting on sideline half of the year NO.

CEH
02-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Over the last 5 years he's avg 7 games a year. In this league you don't get healthier as you get older. The odds are against us with this signing. I'd sign him and let him compete for a starting job if we also sign a young starting safety like OJ or Phillips or Jones. Brown can compete and at his age and history I think that is all he will get

SouthStndJunkie
02-15-2009, 11:36 AM
'Broken Down' Mike Brown?

Dude has missed 44 games in the last 5 seasons because of injuries.

Only if he signed for near the vet minimum with built in incentives.

boltaneer
02-15-2009, 11:43 AM
I think he'll try to come to the Chargers, where Rivera and Steve Wilks, his old DB coach in Chicago are now. And the Chargers are looking for a free safety to replace/compete with Clinton Hart.

Since I don't see any team offering him a big deal because of his injury history (as long as Al Davis keeps his pocketbook shut) it seems like a great fit for both sides.

Dudeskey
02-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Yep... I like the idea of incentives. But as far as injuries go he is about as fragile as Jason Sehorn

cmhargrove
02-15-2009, 11:54 AM
I'd love to see him come with an incentive contract while we have the chance to draft and train someone else this year.

It would be head and shoulders over what we started last year with.

NFLBRONCO
02-15-2009, 01:17 PM
The Broncos already have cheerleaders we don't need to sign players to be a cheerleader only do not see how that upgrades a very bad D.

IE BOSS BAILEY he really made us great last year he played every down. Oh wait he was hurt 99% of the time.

Popps
02-15-2009, 01:24 PM
The difference between B. Bailey and Brown is... when Brown is on the field, he can actually play.

Is Boss Bailey still on our ****ing roster, by the way? If so... why?

Br0nc0Buster
02-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Brown can ball

He cant stay healthy, but for the few games he will play and the advice he can offer, why not?

Ray Finkle
02-15-2009, 02:23 PM
why is a thread like this created every week...Brown is a one footed DB....

BroncoMan4ever
02-15-2009, 02:32 PM
if we could get him on a cheap 2 year incentive deal i'd be for it, but i would also like us to go after James Sanders and Atogwe so we have depth for the likelihood of him being injured.

illbroncsfn
02-15-2009, 02:43 PM
if we could get him on a cheap 2 year incentive deal i'd be for it, but i would also like us to go after James Sanders and Atogwe so we have depth for the likelihood of him being injured.

Solid game plan here by Bman4evr- Mike Brown is an All-Pro safety WHEN healthy....which is unfortunately rarely.....

I have a hunch J.Sanders will be at safety for us next year, but there may be buyer beware on Atogwe

Cmac821
02-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Immediate upgrade from what we have

Kaylore
02-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Sign him up! We should have all new safeties save maybe Barrett this year.

nickademus
02-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Brown is past his prime for sure but he is so far beyond Manuel and McCree that it would be worth it to do a two year incentive deal. Also I wouldnt do this if we had OJ Atagowe but if we drafted a FS then I would love it. I am not sold on Barret at SS so IMHO we need at least two Safetys.

TDmvp
02-15-2009, 05:29 PM
whew .... thought this was a thread about the owner Mike Brown ...
With all the Pat hate of late I was scared someone went over the line and wanted Mike Brown lol ...

broncosteven
02-15-2009, 08:00 PM
If incentive laden contract based on playing time were accepted he would be a great pickup.

Not only could this guy be our version of Rodney Harrison but knows where the ball is and can make the game changing INT.

I normally piss on these threads but when I saw in the trib this morning that Brown was essentially released I was hoping MickyD would sign him.

Brown played in 15 games last year. If nothing else he has young legs due to all the IR years, 2005 he played in 12 games, 2003 was the last year he played full 16 games. He had 2 INTs last year. I think that was more than any of our CBs, if not more than it was equal to.

I think this guy is on upswing rebounding from the injuries and could be another John Lynch but better.

BTW The other article in the Trib was that Suh Bears should trade Urlicker for Boldin

BroncoMan4ever
02-15-2009, 10:11 PM
BTW The other article in the Trib was that Suh Bears should trade Urlicker for Boldin

if they could swing that trade they should. Boldin wants out, Dansby is going to be hard to re-sign, and Urlacher is overrated.

if they can get one of the top receivers in the game for an overrated LB, i say go for it.