PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone so in love with Lesean McCoy?

BroncoMan4ever
02-14-2009, 12:54 AM
Almost every mock i see on here has us taking McCoy as a 2nd round pick. I don't see the high point with him. In my eyes he is just a more expensive higher rated version of Selvin Young. I think in the 2nd round there are a couple of other RB who are better than McCoy, namely Shonn Green and Rashard Jennings.

Is everyone liking him as a feature back or as a compliment to Hillis? Because I have it in my mind that Hillis isn't going to be our RB next season but more of an H-Back for us, catch passes out of the backfield, run a few times, lead block. And because of that I feel we need a bigger workhorse RB, and not a smaller slasher style runner.

cmhargrove
02-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Almost every mock i see on here has us taking McCoy as a 2nd round pick. I don't see the high point with him. In my eyes he is just a more expensive higher rated version of Selvin Young. I think in the 2nd round there are a couple of other RB who are better than McCoy, namely Shonn Green and Rashard Jennings.

Is everyone liking him as a feature back or as a compliment to Hillis? Because I have it in my mind that Hillis isn't going to be our RB next season but more of an H-Back for us, catch passes out of the backfield, run a few times, lead block. And because of that I feel we need a bigger workhorse RB, and not a smaller slasher style runner.

Looking at the Patriots teams over the past 6-8 years, I agree with you completely.

If we look at the running backs on the Pats roster, you see Maroney, Sammy Morris, Kevin Faulk, Lamont Jordan, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Heath Evans. In their recent past, Corey Dillon was another successful back.

We can see a pattern here:
1) they like powerful downhill runners that can move the chains.
2) They have no "scat back." Even Faulk, who is very shifty has a tremendous north-south burst (not east-west).
3) They usually like an RB that is a decent receiver (no brick hands).

Hillis fits perfectly, I think Shonn Greene (in rounds 2-3) would be perfect. Rashad Jennings would be great if we can land him in round 4. Otherwise, I think he would be a little overvalued in round 3.

Torain would actually seem to fit the mold if he can get healthy, especially at such a cheap price tag.

You can understand why keeping Bobby Turner was such a coup for McDaniels. Bobby can turn lots of these larger undervalued backs into very decent performers. It's not Bobby's fault they got injured. Bobby is one of the best at picking, training, and preparing RB's to succeed in a "downhill" running style. It's a marriage made in heaven for Broncos fans.

ludo21
02-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Cause he is going to be a great pro.

Denver724
02-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Because he is shifty and has great vision. He is going to be a stud!

SouthStndJunkie
02-14-2009, 10:21 AM

LeSean McCoy is no Selvin Young.

McCoy never missed a game in college. Selvin Young has never been able to stay healthy in college or the pros.

McCoy will be a feature back in the NFL.

Besides, I doubt he makes it to the second round.

mattob14
02-14-2009, 10:33 AM
McCoy would be a great compliment to Hillis. If we can find a back like McCoy, who can catch the ball out of the backfield and has more speed than Hillis, it offers more versatility than we currently have. I would still see Hillis as the short-yardage and goal-line back, but adding a back like McCoy gives the offense options: using Hillis as a lead blocker or receiver on play-action plays, using him in an H-back role. I can also envision a Shotgun set with Hillis and McCoy flanking Cutler, with Marshall, Royal and one of Stokely/Scheff/Graham on the field. We'd be able to run the inside handoff with either Hillis or McCoy, use them as receivers out of the backfield, or keep both in a protection package. Regardless, there should be mis-matches all of the field in that formation.

Paladin
02-14-2009, 12:16 PM
I see Hillis as the "Main" back. I don't see hime going more than 16-20 carries, but maybe adding 3-5 passes. The backup back will need to be similar to him, and I think Shonn Green, with his size, power and speed is a better choice in the third or so. That's what I 'm talking about, baby!!!

Hillis has the confidence of the team (read Cutler). He has that smash mouth instinct coupled with enough speed and twists to get the 6-10 yard burst, with an occassional 20 yarder thrown in. He doesn't lose yards many times, and does get some tough ones frequently. He is now a verteran RB. And I say he sticks.

BroncoMan4ever
02-14-2009, 12:53 PM
LeSean McCoy is no Selvin Young.

McCoy never missed a game in college. Selvin Young has never been able to stay healthy in college or the pros.

McCoy will be a feature back in the NFL.

Besides, I doubt he makes it to the second round.

so he's a healthy Selvin. McCoy will not be able to handle the beatings of 20+ carries a game or 325+ a year. he is a complimentary back. he is the type of guy you pair with a Brandon Jacobs, and have a lightning to the bruising thunder.

SouthStndJunkie
02-14-2009, 10:11 PM
so he's a healthy Selvin. McCoy will not be able to handle the beatings of 20+ carries a game or 325+ a year. he is a complimentary back. he is the type of guy you pair with a Brandon Jacobs, and have a lightning to the bruising thunder.

I would have no problem with a Hillis/McCoy combo.

McCoy can get 15-18 carries and catch 4 to 6 passes a game and Hillis can get 12-15 carries and catch a handful of passes a game as well.

Let the flow of the game dictate the amount of carries they get a game....if one back gets hot, you ride with him for a while.

SureShot
02-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Great sense of humor?

I wouldn't mind having him on the team I like the way he runs, his vision and his knack for getting into the endzone. He has scored in every game he has played in but 4.

SouthStndJunkie
02-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Great sense of humor?

I wouldn't mind having him on the team I like the way he runs, his vision and his knack for getting into the endzone. He has scored in every game he has played in but 4.

McCoy would be a Clinton Portis-like steal in the 2nd round.

That said, I think he gets drafted in the 20-30 range of the 1st round.

Just because he is 5'11 210 pounds people should not assume he is fragile and can't take a hit.

He did not miss a game in college and had 309 touches (276 carries and 33 receptions) his freshman year and 340 touches (308 carries and 32 receptions) his sophomore year.

BroncoMan4ever
02-14-2009, 11:47 PM
McCoy would be a Clinton Portis-like steal in the 2nd round.

That said, I think he gets drafted in the 20-30 range of the 1st round.

Just because he is 5'11 210 pounds people should not assume he is fragile and can't take a hit.

He did not miss a game in college and had 309 touches (276 carries and 33 receptions) his freshman year and 340 touches (308 carries and 32 receptions) his sophomore year.

and i understand and know his history, and agree he could become a Portis-like steal in the 2nd. but i see him and because of his smaller size and just think he won't be able to handle NFL hits 300 times a year. i see a higher rated Selvin Young. also remember, in Portis time in Denver he was never able to finish an entire season. he missed games both years and wore down a little at the end of the year, and he was a similar frame and also not injured much or at all coming out of college, but his size got him hurt a little every year. it wasn't until his 4th season or so that he finally finished a full season and that was due to him bulking up a little.

i just think, looking back on last season and Hillis being the only RB we had who could do anything for us, and he has a bigger build and is more powerful than finesse. and i think rather than gamble on a slasher style of a runner who could be a Portis or a Selvin Young, we should just go after a bigger guy like Shonn Greene or Rashard Jennings and add some power and be physical in the running game. i think that is the best thing for this team. a guy with power and size who can be physical and get 5 yards guaranteed every carry, instead of a smaller guy who has the ability to break a 75 yard run, but gets stopped at the line or after a gain of 1 or 2 repeatedly and then get a 20 yard run that brings the YPC average up to around 5.

Dedhed
02-15-2009, 05:45 AM
Cause he is going to be a great pro.
Not in Denver, I hope.

yerner
02-15-2009, 06:55 AM
I doubt he'll be available in the 2nd after his pro day. A number of columnists have him ranked over Moreno and Beanie.

27atwater
02-15-2009, 10:06 AM
I'm biased cuz I know him, but dude may be THE best RB in this draft. He's a soph and that is why he may not be the top RB taken. Good kid all around. Had to go to a prep school after an injury during his HS senior year at Harrisburg Bishop McDevitt in Pennsylvania. He said he let it get in his head and his grades dropped. Spent quite a bit of time w/ his g/f at the Harrisburg YMCA instead of running the streets like the rest of the gang bangers in the HBG. Once he refocused and healthy his grades jumped up nd we all ssaw what he can do on the field. STUD! We'd be blessed to have him in Denver.

OBF1
02-15-2009, 12:24 PM
I guess I paid way to much attention to our pathetic _efense last season. We need to draft on the D side of the line alot more than we need another RB.

UberBroncoMan
02-15-2009, 12:51 PM
I guess I paid way to much attention to our pathetic _efense last season. We need to draft on the D side of the line alot more than we need another RB.

Having a Clinton Portis in our backfield would mean extra D stacking the box which would mean 1 less guy in the backfield which would mean an Open B-Marsh or Royal A LOT. We let teams pick their poison. Death by run or pass... either way we'll dominate.

All we need on O to be the BEST in the NFL is a stud RB to go with Hillis at FB... I don't even want to think how deadly we'll be with that.

We can get the D fixed in the 1st round 3rd on + FA.

We're going to be bleh this year anyway because of the schedule. After next year we're going to be an elite team that no one wants on their schedule.

Paladin
02-15-2009, 01:37 PM
and i understand and know his history, and agree he could become a Portis-like steal in the 2nd. but i see him and because of his smaller size and just think he won't be able to handle NFL hits 300 times a year. i see a higher rated Selvin Young. also remember, in Portis time in Denver he was never able to finish an entire season. he missed games both years and wore down a little at the end of the year, and he was a similar frame and also not injured much or at all coming out of college, but his size got him hurt a little every year. it wasn't until his 4th season or so that he finally finished a full season and that was due to him bulking up a little.

i just think, looking back on last season and Hillis being the only RB we had who could do anything for us, and he has a bigger build and is more powerful than finesse. and i think rather than gamble on a slasher style of a runner who could be a Portis or a Selvin Young, we should just go after a bigger guy like Shonn Greene or Rashard Jennings and add some power and be physical in the running game. i think that is the best thing for this team. a guy with power and size who can be physical and get 5 yards guaranteed every carry, instead of a smaller guy who has the ability to break a 75 yard run, but gets stopped at the line or after a gain of 1 or 2 repeatedly and then get a 20 yard run that brings the YPC average up to around 5.

It may be a bit of a stretch, but Hillis may be comparable to Jacobs. The smash mouth runners can make good yardage, and punish the DBs.............

BroncoMan4ever
02-15-2009, 01:41 PM
It may be a bit of a stretch, but Hillis may be comparable to Jacobs. The smash mouth runners can make good yardage, and punish the DBs.............

i agree with Hillis being able to fill that role, but i highly doubt the new coaches will line him up at RB. he is going to be an H-Back for us.

BroncoMan4ever
02-15-2009, 01:45 PM

a good-great RB would benefit every phase of the team including the defense.

if we have a RB capable of chewing up the clock, we don't have to see our pathetic defense getting burned all day long.

with a good RB teams can't drop 7-8 into coverage, they would need to bring those guys all into the box, leaving Marshall, Royal, Scheff, Stokley, Hillis out of the backfield in very good positions to make catches against one on ones or being uncovered.

every offensive playmakers stats would go up, as well as our scoring per game, our defense would be off the field more so our points allowed would go down.

because of that, a RB is one of the most important aquisitions we can make, i just pray it isn't Moreno or McCoy, but someone like Shonn Greene or Rashard Jennings.

chaz
02-15-2009, 02:04 PM
I just don't like that he doesn't break many tackles...I like the speed and quickness but just lacks NFL power IMO. I'd rather go James Davis, Shonn Greene, etc..

lex
02-15-2009, 02:10 PM
His APC in college is Cedric Benson-like.

mattob14
02-15-2009, 03:50 PM
i agree with Hillis being able to fill that role, but i highly doubt the new coaches will line him up at RB. he is going to be an H-Back for us.

I really think we need to use Hillis' versatility to the fullest extent. That includes using him as a short-yardage and goal-line back and occasional single-back in 2 TE sets. It's a waste of talent not to get the ball in Hillis' hands, one way or another, 12-15 times a game.

nickademus
02-15-2009, 04:31 PM
McCoy would be a great compliment to Hillis. If we can find a back like McCoy, who can catch the ball out of the backfield and has more speed than Hillis, it offers more versatility than we currently have. I would still see Hillis as the short-yardage and goal-line back, but adding a back like McCoy gives the offense options: using Hillis as a lead blocker or receiver on play-action plays, using him in an H-back role. I can also envision a Shotgun set with Hillis and McCoy flanking Cutler, with Marshall, Royal and one of Stokely/Scheff/Graham on the field. We'd be able to run the inside handoff with either Hillis or McCoy, use them as receivers out of the backfield, or keep both in a protection package. Regardless, there should be mis-matches all of the field in that formation.

This is how I see Hillis fitting in this season he is by far our best short yardage back so that will be 5-6 carries you have to love his hands out of the backfield and his blocking ability. figure he should see 15-18 touches per game. I dont know what you guys have seen of McCoy but he is a tough runner he is not by any means an easy tackle. and he would be the perfect fit with Hillis in t he Chris Cooley role.

27atwater
02-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Anyone who thinks he is soft hasn't seen him. They couldn' have. You don't break Dorsett's frosh reords by going down at first contact. Same w/ his soph stats. Dude is the real deal. He was the #1 RB in the nation out of HS for a reason and he hasn't disappointd at all.

BroncoMan4ever
02-15-2009, 04:54 PM
I really think we need to use Hillis' versatility to the fullest extent. That includes using him as a short-yardage and goal-line back and occasional single-back in 2 TE sets. It's a waste of talent not to get the ball in Hillis' hands, one way or another, 12-15 times a game.

i agree, and i think he is most useful in short yardage/goal line situations. give him the ball in those situations 5-10 times a game. get him passes out of the backfield 5-10 times a game.

i agree he needs the ball in his hands around 15 times a game. put i think he is better suited to line up everywhere, FB, RB, TE, slot. he is very versatile and deceptively quick, and his versatility make him better suited to be a Jack of all trades type of player for us, instead of just a RB.

because of his versatility i say we should look at guys like Shonn Greene or Rashard Jennings, both of whom are bigger more physical backs, instead of a smaller speed guy who can't break tackles.

mhgaffney
02-16-2009, 02:21 PM
The best scenario would be to trade back from #12 -- hopefully -- a multi-round trade with Philly that would give us two late first round picks.

That way we get a top D player and McCoy in round one.

BroncoMan4ever
02-16-2009, 07:00 PM
The best scenario would be to trade back from #12 -- hopefully -- a multi-round trade with Philly that would give us two late first round picks.

That way we get a top D player and McCoy in round one.

Screw McCoy, bring in Greene, or Jennings.

trade back with phili, get there 1st take Tyson Jackson, and a 2nd and get Greene and Matthews in the 2nd.

yerner
02-17-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm kind of interested to see how Branden Ore runs. He was pretty good when he was a Vtech.

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm kind of interested to see how Branden Ore runs. He was pretty good when he was a Vtech.

isn't he kind of a head case or pain in the ass? plus he is a little on the smaller side.

yerner
02-17-2009, 04:48 PM
isn't he kind of a head case or pain in the ass? plus he is a little on the smaller side.

don't know about his problems really. he's not too small though. about 6 feet 210 give or take.

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2009, 09:50 PM
don't know about his problems really. he's not too small though. about 6 feet 210 give or take.

roughly the same size as Young, Hall, and Bell.

i am tired of these smaller speed backs, i want us to get into the bigger bruisers who inflict pain on defenses.

turftoad
02-21-2009, 02:39 PM
I like him. I think if we could get him in the 2nd, that'd be a steal.

He may be smallish, but look what C. Johnson, S.Slaton did for thier teams.

It would give our "O" another demention. There aren't even really any go to backs around the league anymore anyway. Most teams are going RBBC.
The blend of Hillis and McCoy would great.

BTW, I don't think he'll be there in the second. I'd rather go "D" on day one, but, if he did slide to our second pick I wouldn't be pissed if we took him.

nickademus
02-21-2009, 03:20 PM
this guy is twice the runner that C.Johnson or S.Slaton was in collge. the only thing these guys have in common is size other than than McCoy runs like a much bigger back, hard to tackle, and looks for contact. IMHO he is the best bet at RB in this draft now If beanie stays healthy he has the talent to be one of the best but we will see if he can stay on the field at the next level.

Broncoman13
02-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Sub 200# weigh in isn't good. Sick or not, you don't lose 10-15 lbs right before the combine. Keep an eye on him the next month or so. If he doesn't get back up around 210, he will likely be a mid 2nd round pick.

BroncoMan4ever
02-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Sub 200# weigh in isn't good. Sick or not, you don't lose 10-15 lbs right before the combine. Keep an eye on him the next month or so. If he doesn't get back up around 210, he will likely be a mid 2nd round pick.

if he doesn't get back up to 210 at least and we pick him even in the 2nd round i will go insane.

i could live with the pick, but i would prefer a big back, and then re-sign Tatum for a year and let him be a change of pace back

Williams
02-21-2009, 11:15 PM
if he doesn't get back up to 210 at least and we pick him even in the 2nd round i will go insane.

i could live with the pick, but i would prefer a big back, and then re-sign Tatum for a year and let him be a change of pace back

But we already have a big back in Hillis. I cant think of a much better 1-2 punch than Hillis-McCoy. Our backfield would be complete. Our offense would be complete... and pretty damn hard to stop.

McCoy is the only reason I watched Pitt the past two seasons.. and he didnt disappoint. He's a homerun hitter that makes every game fun to watch.

I know we need D, D, and more D... but I'd be super bummed if he's available in round 2 and we pass. I just dont see him falling that far... at all. Best case scenario IMO is trading down in the first to scoop up McCoy and a top D prospect. I think we can afford to do that with the defensive positions that need attention.

BroncoMan4ever
02-22-2009, 02:16 AM
But we already have a big back in Hillis. I cant think of a much better 1-2 punch than Hillis-McCoy. Our backfield would be complete. Our offense would be complete... and pretty damn hard to stop.

McCoy is the only reason I watched Pitt the past two seasons.. and he didnt disappoint. He's a homerun hitter that makes every game fun to watch.

I know we need D, D, and more D... but I'd be super bummed if he's available in round 2 and we pass. I just dont see him falling that far... at all. Best case scenario IMO is trading down in the first to scoop up McCoy and a top D prospect. I think we can afford to do that with the defensive positions that need attention.

i don't want a homerun hitter. sure they are fun to watch when the perfect situation arises and the can break a big run, but outside of those perfect situations, they are just not good for consistency.

i will gladly take a giuy who will break off 5 yards a carry, every time he touches the ball over a guy who runs for no gain, 1 yard, no gain, loss of a yard and then a 25 yard burst making his average seem like he is better than he is.

in baseball terms, i will take a Ted Williams who is consistent and going to get hits consistently and the occasional homerun, over a guy like Alex Rodriguez who has the homerun ability, but strikes out 3 times to every homerun he hits.

also, yes we have Hillis. but i truly don't think he is going to be our RB. he is going to either be our Chris Cooley or he is going to end up being used like the Pats use Kevin Faulk. Passes out of the backfield and runs maybe 5 times a game, meaning the need for a true feature back will be necessary.

also, even if Hillis is used as a RB for us, just because we have one powerful runningback, doesn't mean we have to go after someone with a completely different body type and skill set. look at the Giants. Jacobs and Ward are both big backs with similar running styles, but Ward is faster and can make people miss if he needs to.

and if we are just drafting him for complimentary purposes to Hillis, if he is in fact our power back, why waste the pick? just re-sign Tatum for another year and let him be the speed compliment to Hillis power.

if we are going to take any RB, get a big back that can bowl over people and carry the load, so that we have the opportunity to use Hillis everywhere and use all of his skills and attributes.

Someone like Rashard Jennings, would be perfect to compliment Hillis in my eyes. good size, strength and speed, and the ability to carry the load.

with guys smaller like McCoy or Moreno, i just get back to thinking of guys like Selvin Young, who were to small to continually get good yards, and relied too much on speed and when that didn't work didn't have the necessary strength to fight for yards. i am tired of seeing that, i don't want to see complimentary style backs in Denver anymore. get this team a big bad mother****er who will take the ball 25 times a game and run people over all day. if that guy is Hillis that is awesome, if it isn't get Shonn Greene or Rashard Jennings, just not a smaller slasher style back like McCoy.

27atwater
02-22-2009, 09:22 AM
McCoy isn't "little" just cuz he's not 240. He's plenty big and has shown that he can take hits. Hell...some games he took direct snap 5-10 times IN A ROW. He is a feature back who can do it all. Comparing him to Selvin frickin Young is an affront to anyone who knows ANYTHING about football.

mattob14
02-22-2009, 09:58 AM
i don't want a homerun hitter. sure they are fun to watch when the perfect situation arises and the can break a big run, but outside of those perfect situations, they are just not good for consistency.

i will gladly take a giuy who will break off 5 yards a carry, every time he touches the ball over a guy who runs for no gain, 1 yard, no gain, loss of a yard and then a 25 yard burst making his average seem like he is better than he is.

in baseball terms, i will take a Ted Williams who is consistent and going to get hits consistently and the occasional homerun, over a guy like Alex Rodriguez who has the homerun ability, but strikes out 3 times to every homerun he hits.

also, yes we have Hillis. but i truly don't think he is going to be our RB. he is going to either be our Chris Cooley or he is going to end up being used like the Pats use Kevin Faulk. Passes out of the backfield and runs maybe 5 times a game, meaning the need for a true feature back will be necessary.

also, even if Hillis is used as a RB for us, just because we have one powerful runningback, doesn't mean we have to go after someone with a completely different body type and skill set. look at the Giants. Jacobs and Ward are both big backs with similar running styles, but Ward is faster and can make people miss if he needs to.

and if we are just drafting him for complimentary purposes to Hillis, if he is in fact our power back, why waste the pick? just re-sign Tatum for another year and let him be the speed compliment to Hillis power.

if we are going to take any RB, get a big back that can bowl over people and carry the load, so that we have the opportunity to use Hillis everywhere and use all of his skills and attributes.

Someone like Rashard Jennings, would be perfect to compliment Hillis in my eyes. good size, strength and speed, and the ability to carry the load.

with guys smaller like McCoy or Moreno, i just get back to thinking of guys like Selvin Young, who were to small to continually get good yards, and relied too much on speed and when that didn't work didn't have the necessary strength to fight for yards. i am tired of seeing that, i don't want to see complimentary style backs in Denver anymore. get this team a big bad mother****er who will take the ball 25 times a game and run people over all day. if that guy is Hillis that is awesome, if it isn't get Shonn Greene or Rashard Jennings, just not a smaller slasher style back like McCoy.

McCoy is one of the top backs in the draft and had a lot of success in college. Selvin was inconsistent at Texas, and was a UDFA we hoped would turn into a player. You can't compare the two based solely on their build/speed.

BroncoMan4ever
02-22-2009, 11:24 AM
McCoy is one of the top backs in the draft and had a lot of success in college. Selvin was inconsistent at Texas, and was a UDFA we hoped would turn into a player. You can't compare the two based solely on their build/speed.

i know that. i was simply pointing out that after a few years of these smaller backs being completely inconsistent, getting hurt a lot, and not being able to get any good yardage every week, that when i saw Hillis with his size and strength for a 3 week stretch run better than almost any back we have had since Portis, that i decided that in the best interest of the team, we should get bigger powerful backs, instead of smaller backs.

and i know someone is going to bring up Hillis getting injured and i am overlooking that. his injury was a fluke thing, the combination of going up at a weird angle, having contact and landing awkwardly are what led to his injury. it wasn't due to himbeing injury prone.

nickademus
02-22-2009, 11:29 AM
I agree with what you are saying about these guys and how a power back would be nice I just dont think that McCoy fits your argument other than his size. But since I would flip if we used a 1st on a RB its sort of a moot point for me. I really want Jennings in the 3rd but we will see.

I would love to have a line up where Hillis splits out with Sheffler and Graham ,Jennings in the backfield and marshal on the weak side some one explain to me how you stop that?

BroncoMan4ever
02-22-2009, 03:17 PM
I agree with what you are saying about these guys and how a power back would be nice I just dont think that McCoy fits your argument other than his size. But since I would flip if we used a 1st on a RB its sort of a moot point for me. I really want Jennings in the 3rd but we will see.

I would love to have a line up where Hillis splits out with Sheffler and Graham ,Jennings in the backfield and marshal on the weak side some one explain to me how you stop that?

i agree. If we decide to go all defense in rounds 1 and 2, i want Jennings in the 3rd.

mattob14
02-22-2009, 06:16 PM
i know that. i was simply pointing out that after a few years of these smaller backs being completely inconsistent, getting hurt a lot, and not being able to get any good yardage every week, that when i saw Hillis with his size and strength for a 3 week stretch run better than almost any back we have had since Portis, that i decided that in the best interest of the team, we should get bigger powerful backs, instead of smaller backs.

and i know someone is going to bring up Hillis getting injured and i am overlooking that. his injury was a fluke thing, the combination of going up at a weird angle, having contact and landing awkwardly are what led to his injury. it wasn't due to himbeing injury prone.

And I'd be fine with a bigger back, just not Greene. I think we'll see more of a wide open offense than in years past and we need RB's who can catch the ball and pick up some yardage in the open field. Greene isn't that guy, but McCoy is. We have the tools in place to have one of the most dynamic, versatile offenses in the league, but we need a RB who can catch the ball to really round that out.

BroncoMan4ever
02-22-2009, 06:47 PM
And I'd be fine with a bigger back, just not Greene. I think we'll see more of a wide open offense than in years past and we need RB's who can catch the ball and pick up some yardage in the open field. Greene isn't that guy, but McCoy is. We have the tools in place to have one of the most dynamic, versatile offenses in the league, but we need a RB who can catch the ball to really round that out.

if not Greene, then Rashard Jennings. i just pray to god we do not draft McCoy.