PDA

View Full Version : My CRAZY but fun off season plan!

SonOfLe-loLang
02-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Ok, so i gave this a lot of not so serious thought and realized a few things.

1) Considering that our 08 defense was historically bad (and cant get much worse) there's no reason to run a 4-3/3-4 hybrid if it's Nolan's goal to run a 3-4. So lets just raze the d and rebuild a 3-4

2) Our offense is still so young that it probably wont reach its prime potential for 2-3 years, which gives us time to build a defense that can be 15th in the league (which is where i believe it'll need to be to be super bowl competitive when our offense matures...this also assumes no major injury to our stars will happen)

3) Given the economic climate and the apparent lack of desire to spend, we need a creative overhaul that is "somewhat" fiscally responsible. This plan will involve spending money, but we will cut a lot as well (and this is quite radical i admit, so bare with me)

4) As evidenced by last year, we can at least stay somewhat competitive with our offense while the D goes through a rebuilding stage.

Enter....the plan. Now, this plan does not have to be taken literally (step by step) but i enjoy the spirit of it.

Lets put it into action:

Lets assume capspace isnt that much of a concern this year (its not), its more overall spending. So, with this in mind, we need to cut current salary: We TRADE CHAMP and pick up a 2nd and 3rd (sounds reasonable right?). We cut Dre Bly, we cut Boss, we cut Stokely (ill get to why in a minute), Nate Jackson, Niko...youre out. Since the idea of Dumervil backpeddling scares me, we unload him for a 3rd (i think thats probably the market value for a good pass rushing DE right now).

OK, so we go into the draft with ... 1,2,2,3,3,3,4,5,5,6,6 (lets assume foxworth resigns with atl for the sake of argument.) and a 7th.

On to free agency! (lets not account for small free agent backups...but lets assume there will be some)

DL - We sign Chris Canty (26) and Grady Jackson, re-sign Kenny Peterson - Jackson will just be the stopgap player for a year (if that) where as Canty is an integrel cog for the 2-3 year plan, for reasons i dont think we need to explain. We can move thomas out to end (where i think he can be very solid with his athleticism), backed up by Carlton Powell and Kenny Peterson, Crowder.

LB - We sign Channing Crowder to man one of the OLB spots. Big enough (250), athletic...i think is a good fit here, and young. Hopefully he doesnt get hurt, as i know he's injury prone. But good energy guy.

DB - We sign OJ Atogwe, and two stopgap corners like Leigh Bodden and Bryant McFadden. Admittedly, with the exception of Atogwe, the defensive backfield will be addressed in later years of the plan because i think a strong front 7 masks ineffecieny in the defensive backfield. Atogwe is a ball hawk we need opposite Barrett (who then can stay in the box and be aggressive..i'm high on him, i think he can be a good one) and Bodden and McFadden will be fine for now.

WR - This is unecessary, but would be fun. TJ Housh. In the McDaniels offense, its a three pronged attack and, currently, it seems (if we want royal playing the welker role) that we need another receiver to stretch the field. This would make an awesome threesome! I also realize its unnecessary, but whatever, i dont think its a bad signing and would be a huge headache for any D-coordinator.

OL - Resign Wiegmann (this might be the only thing that actually happens in my entire plan)

Draft Day - yay! OK, this will involve some dreaming, but hey..thats what the plan is all about.

1st Round - Lets assume we are too low for Raji, but he's the future cornerstone of our D. Lets just say he slips to 10, we trade a 3rd to move up the two spots and grab him at 10 (green bay has harrell and pickett, im not sure they are in any rush to get Raji). Also, in my little dream (but somewhat realistic world), Maualuga slips (like some experts are predicting) into the 20's. Lets trade a 2,3,4,6 to move back into the end of the first and grab him in the 23-26 range.

2nd Round - With that movement, we're still left with a 2nd rounder, which we will use on Clint Sintim, who is perfect to man the other OLB spot in a 3-4

3rd Round - I'm a big fan of peyton hillis. He's a beast, a unique weapon and I want him pounding the ball quite a bit next year. But we could use a Lightning to his thunder and Jeremiah Johnson out of Oregon seems to be a great complement to Hillis. Lets get him in the third.

4th Round - We combine our 5ths to move back into the 4th to grab Macho Harris (who experts say is slipping into the 3-5 area. Lets just say we can grab him here.

6th Round - Best athlete avail.

7th - John Parker Wilson (or QB of choice to be groomed)

OK, now lets take a look at the roster with changes.

QB - Cutler, John Parker Wilson, practice squad QB
RB - Hillis, J. Johnson, Selvin Young, Ryan Torain, (that little scatback on our PS?) I dont think we need a fullback since Hillis can double..but i dont think the pats really used one?
WR - Bmarsh, royal, TJ, Chadjax, whoever
TE - Graham, Scheff, Putzier (?), Leach
OL - Clady, Hamilton, Wiegmann, Kuper, Harris, Polumbus, Lichtensteiger (either draft pick (the 6th) or small free agent signing a la Dylan Gandy)

DE - Canty, Powell, Crowder, Peterson
NT - G, Jackson, BJ Raji
DE - M Thomas (same back ups)

OLB - Channing Crowder, J. Moss
ILB - Maualuga, Larsen, Haggan
ILB - DJ Williams (same backups)
OLB - Clint Sintim (we have to find a place for Woodyard SOMEWHERE)

CB - McFadden, Harris, JMFW, Josh Bell
CB - Bodden (same backups)
FS - Atogwe, Manuel
SS - Barrett - Manuel, small free agent/draft pick, V. Fox?

As said, it isnt perfect, and since its a 2/3 year plan, its fortified and added to over the next couple of seasons...but i think the spirit of the plan would be a fun direction to go in! And im sure im missing roster spots, but you know, this is the gist.

Now im sure NONE of this will ever happen, but well, this is what you'd all crucify me for if I was running the Denver Broncos.

Flame away!!!!

MagicHef
02-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Why did you cut Stokely? Just because we got TJ? We can have more than 3 good WRs.

Broncos_OTM
02-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Channing Crowder is a inside Backer.

Chris Canty is a parcells guy. self addmitted and is gonna want the farm

Denver is not gonnna spend anywhere close to that in FA book it

Not to mention that Denver will most likely run the 4-3 this year which makes dtradeing doom a big mistake.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Channing Crowder is a inside Backer.

Chris Canty is a parcells guy. self addmitted and is gonna want the farm

Denver is not gonnna spend anywhere close to that in FA book it

Not to mention that Denver will most likely run the 4-3 this year which makes dtradeing doom a big mistake.

Well this is all under the guise that we're headed to a 3-4. And we can spend that kind of money if we lose Champ, Dre's, Boss's, niko's, stokely's, etc...contracts.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Why did you cut Stokely? Just because we got TJ? We can have more than 3 good WRs.

Oh, i wouldnt mind if he stayed, i was just trying to cut salary somewhere.

Broncos_OTM
02-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Well this is all under the guise that we're headed to a 3-4. And we can spend that kind of money if we lose Champ, Dre's, Boss's, niko's, stokely's, etc...contracts.
First off this is a post from Cugel on Broncosforums. he did a couple of cost cutting measures... and while we wood save money LONG TERM. Releaseing these players WOULD cripple us this year. enjoy

found this quite interesting source on Broncos contracts in Rotoworld that allows us to see just what sort of salary cap-hit the Broncos will take from cutting various of the LOSERS Shanahan brought in as FAs & failed draft picks in recent years.

To review:

1. No NFL salary is guaranteed so the team saves the money they would have paid in salary.

2. Roster bonuses and incentive bonuses (obviously) are NOT paid unless the player is on the roster on a certain date or earns the incentive.

3. Signing bonuses are pro-rated over the life of the contract, so you take the unearned portion of the contract and divide by the number of remaining years. That's the salary cap hit. If the player is designated as a June 1 cut this cap hit is divided between this year and the next. If he's cut before that it all piles onto this year's cap. Ouch!

The High Cost Of Cutting Off The Dead-Wood!

Quote:
3/6/2008: Boss Bailey: Denver Broncos. Signed a five-year, $17.5 million contract. The deal included a $4.3 million signing bonus. Another $3 million is available through incentives in years four and five. 2009: $895,000, 2010-2012: $2.4 million, 2013: Free Agent. Cap charges: $1.755 million (2009), $3.26 million (2010-2012).

1. The Broncos save $895,000 base salary cutting Bailey in 2009.

2. He keeps the signing bonus, and the cap hit was pro-rated over the life of the contract (5 years) so 4.3 million / 5 = $860,000. He's earned $860,000 of the $4.3 million so far.

3. We can forget about the incentives, since he'll never reach year 2 let alone 4 or 5.

So, if he's cut before June 1, 2009 the entire $3,440,000 gets accelerated immediately against the cap! If he's designated as a June 1 cut, then the cap hit is divided in half. $1,720,000 counts against this year's cap and the same thing next season in 2010.

So, that was a screwed up contract that will cost the team!

Niko Koutouvides is another bad example:

Quote:
Niko Koutouvides: Denver Broncos. 3/3/2008: Signed a three-year, $7.5 million contract. The deal included a $2 million signing bonus. 2009: $620,000 (+ $1.8 million roster bonus), 2010: $1.5 million, 2011: Free Agent

He's earned $667,000 of his $2 million signing bonus, all of which he keeps, and the remaining $1.33 million is divided between this year and next, so this year, letting the worthless bum go will cost: $666,000 and the same next year in 2010.

Quote:
Tim Crowder: Denver Broncos. 7/27/2007: Signed a four-year, $3 million contract. The deal included a $1.31 million signing bonus. 2009: $460,000, 2010: $550,000, 2011: Free Agent

So, this year's cap hit would be $665,000 which could be divided over 2 seasons by designating Crowder as a June 1 cut. But, if they want to see if he can play in the 3-4 they'll have to keep him on through the pre-season at least.

So, if (likely) he's cut in August, it will cost them a cap hit of $665,000.

Quote:
According to NFL scouts, the Broncos move to a 3-4 defense could benefit defensive ends Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder.
Though Moss and Crowder wildly disappointed in their two seasons, the switch may allow them to convert to stand-up outside linebackers. The 3-4 is not good news for Dewayne Robertson, Ebenezer Ekuban, and John Engelberger, however. Robertson is due a huge roster bonus and looks likely to get cut.

So, let's look at DeWayne Robertson:

Quote:
New coach Josh McDaniels said Wednesday that the Broncos will be flexible on defense next season.

This gives Dewayne Robertson a chance to stick, as long as he takes a pay cut. He has experience in both the 3-4 and 4-3 and McDaniels says Denver will base its defenses on week-to-week game plans. We'd still expect it to be a base 3-4 and the club to target a true nose tackle on day one of the draft.

My guess is that he'll rather move to a new team that plays a 4-3. He'll still have to take a pay-cut, but his knees would never hold up in a 3-4 (that's why the Jets got rid of him). And being a part-time player means a BIG pay cut.

See ya DeWayne!

Quote:
4/23/2008: Signed a six-year, $24 million contract. 2008: $900,000 (+ $3.1 million roster bonus), 2009: $900,000 (+ $17 million roster bonus?), 2010-2013: Under Contract, 2014: Free Agent. Cap charge: $4 million (2008).

$17 million roster bonus? The post says it's a $4 million ROSTER bonus due March 1, so they'll either have to renegotiate right now, or cut him loose.

Assuming that $13 Million of the bonus is a SIGNING bonus, then the cap hit would be $13 million divided between this year and next! I.E. $6.5 million each in 2009 and 2010, for cutting Robertson -- assuming they keep him until June 1. But, that will cost them $4 million on March 1.

So, they really need to re-negotiate his contract ASAP! BAD situation here!

If the $13 were a ROSTER bonus, then they could cut him without penalty. I don't know who's right here.

Quote:
John Engleberger: 2/28/2008: Signed a two-year, $4 million contract. The deal includes $1.35 million in bonus money. 2009: $1.285 million, 2010: Free Agent

Cost of cutting him prior to June 1: $675,000. June 1 cut: $338,000 in both 2009 & 2010. Since he can't play in a 3-4 and SUCKS BAD, take the hit and get rid of this dead-wood!

Quote:
Marquand Manuel: 3/8/2008: Signed a three-year, $4.5 million contract. The deal included a $500,000 signing bonus. Another $1.5 million is available through incentives based on playing time. 2009: $1.25 million, 2010: $1.5 million, 2011: Free Agent

So, another $250,000 hit for cutting this useless chode.

Marlon McCree: : Free Agent! So there is SOME good news! It costs the Broncos nothing to cut that bum!

Ebeneezer Ekuban is another FA! More good news!

And for all of you arguing that Dre Bly should be cut? Forget it! It will cost too much!

Quote:
3/28/2007: Signed a five-year, $33 million contract. The deal contains $18 million in bonuses. $16 million is guaranteed, including a $9 million "signing bonus" in the second year. 2009-2010: $3.25 million, 2011: $4 million, 2012

SonOfLe-loLang
02-13-2009, 04:41 PM
First off this is a post from Cugel on Broncosforums. he did a couple of cost cutting measures... and while we wood save money LONG TERM. Releaseing these players WOULD cripple us this year. enjoy

found this quite interesting source on Broncos contracts in Rotoworld that allows us to see just what sort of salary cap-hit the Broncos will take from cutting various of the LOSERS Shanahan brought in as FAs & failed draft picks in recent years.

To review:

1. No NFL salary is guaranteed so the team saves the money they would have paid in salary.

2. Roster bonuses and incentive bonuses (obviously) are NOT paid unless the player is on the roster on a certain date or earns the incentive.

3. Signing bonuses are pro-rated over the life of the contract, so you take the unearned portion of the contract and divide by the number of remaining years. That's the salary cap hit. If the player is designated as a June 1 cut this cap hit is divided between this year and the next. If he's cut before that it all piles onto this year's cap. Ouch!

Quote:
3/6/2008: Boss Bailey: Denver Broncos. Signed a five-year, $17.5 million contract. The deal included a $4.3 million signing bonus. Another $3 million is available through incentives in years four and five. 2009: $895,000, 2010-2012: $2.4 million, 2013: Free Agent. Cap charges: $1.755 million (2009), $3.26 million (2010-2012).

2. He keeps the signing bonus, and the cap hit was pro-rated over the life of the contract (5 years) so 4.3 million / 5 = $860,000. He's earned $860,000 of the $4.3 million so far.

3. We can forget about the incentives, since he'll never reach year 2 let alone 4 or 5.

So, if he's cut before June 1, 2009 the entire $3,440,000 gets accelerated immediately against the cap! If he's designated as a June 1 cut, then the cap hit is divided in half. $1,720,000 counts against this year's cap and the same thing next season in 2010.

Quote:
Niko Koutouvides: Denver Broncos. 3/3/2008: Signed a three-year, $7.5 million contract. The deal included a $2 million signing bonus. 2009: $620,000 (+ $1.8 million roster bonus), 2010: $1.5 million, 2011: Free Agent

He's earned $667,000 of his $2 million signing bonus, all of which he keeps, and the remaining $1.33 million is divided between this year and next, so this year, letting the worthless bum go will cost: $666,000 and the same next year in 2010.

Quote:
Tim Crowder: Denver Broncos. 7/27/2007: Signed a four-year, $3 million contract. The deal included a $1.31 million signing bonus. 2009: $460,000, 2010: $550,000, 2011: Free Agent

So, this year's cap hit would be $665,000 which could be divided over 2 seasons by designating Crowder as a June 1 cut. But, if they want to see if he can play in the 3-4 they'll have to keep him on through the pre-season at least.

Quote:
According to NFL scouts, the Broncos move to a 3-4 defense could benefit defensive ends Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder.
Though Moss and Crowder wildly disappointed in their two seasons, the switch may allow them to convert to stand-up outside linebackers. The 3-4 is not good news for Dewayne Robertson, Ebenezer Ekuban, and John Engelberger, however. Robertson is due a huge roster bonus and looks likely to get cut.

Quote:
New coach Josh McDaniels said Wednesday that the Broncos will be flexible on defense next season.

This gives Dewayne Robertson a chance to stick, as long as he takes a pay cut. He has experience in both the 3-4 and 4-3 and McDaniels says Denver will base its defenses on week-to-week game plans. We'd still expect it to be a base 3-4 and the club to target a true nose tackle on day one of the draft.

My guess is that he'll rather move to a new team that plays a 4-3. He'll still have to take a pay-cut, but his knees would never hold up in a 3-4 (that's why the Jets got rid of him). And being a part-time player means a BIG pay cut.

See ya DeWayne!

Quote:
4/23/2008: Signed a six-year, $24 million contract. 2008: $900,000 (+ $3.1 million roster bonus), 2009: $900,000 (+ $17 million roster bonus?), 2010-2013: Under Contract, 2014: Free Agent. Cap charge: $4 million (2008).

$17 million roster bonus? The post says it's a $4 million ROSTER bonus due March 1, so they'll either have to renegotiate right now, or cut him loose.

Assuming that $13 Million of the bonus is a SIGNING bonus, then the cap hit would be $13 million divided between this year and next! I.E. $6.5 million each in 2009 and 2010, for cutting Robertson -- assuming they keep him until June 1. But, that will cost them $4 million on March 1.

If the $13 were a ROSTER bonus, then they could cut him without penalty. I don't know who's right here.

Quote:
John Engleberger: 2/28/2008: Signed a two-year, $4 million contract. The deal includes $1.35 million in bonus money. 2009: $1.285 million, 2010: Free Agent

Cost of cutting him prior to June 1: $675,000. June 1 cut: $338,000 in both 2009 & 2010. Since he can't play in a 3-4 and SUCKS BAD, take the hit and get rid of this dead-wood!

Quote:
Marquand Manuel: 3/8/2008: Signed a three-year, $4.5 million contract. The deal included a $500,000 signing bonus. Another $1.5 million is available through incentives based on playing time. 2009: $1.25 million, 2010: $1.5 million, 2011: Free Agent

Marlon McCree: : Free Agent! So there is SOME good news! It costs the Broncos nothing to cut that bum!

And for all of you arguing that Dre Bly should be cut? Forget it! It will cost too much!

Quote:
3/28/2007: Signed a five-year, $33 million contract. The deal contains $18 million in bonuses. $16 million is guaranteed, including a $9 million "signing bonus" in the second year. 2009-2010: $3.25 million, 2011: $4 million, 2012

Sure, they will carry dead weight, but most of those players will get little playing time and they suck. Plus, I dont think cap concerns are as prevelant as spending concerns and the gentleman already pointed out that we wont have to pay them salary if cut (regardless of cap hits)...unless im misunderstanding. Plus, i dont know how getting rid of Bly, Champ will effect the cap...but its a lot they dont have to pay 2 players.

Broncos_OTM
<TABLE class=s_playerNewsTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=s_playerNewsTitle style="BACKGROUND: #000044"><TABLE class=s_playerNewsTitle cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left width=33></TD><TD align=left> Contract Information for Brandon Stokley</TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 10px" align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TD style="BACKGROUND: #000044" width=14>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/right_corner_player_news.gif</TD><TD width=6>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif</TD><TD class=s_playerNewsLeftBorder>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif</TD><TD class=s_playerNewsText>12/7/2007: Signed a three-year, $10.1 million contract extension through 2010. Stokley was paid a $5 million "signing bonus" in 2008. 2009: $1.47 million, 2010: $1.4 million, 2011: Free Agent</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=s_playerNewsTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=s_playerNewsTitle style="BACKGROUND: #000044"><TABLE class=s_playerNewsTitle cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left width=33>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/teamlogos/NFL_sm/DEN.gif</TD><TD align=left> Contract Information for Dre' Bly</TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 10px" align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TD style="BACKGROUND: #000044" width=14>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/right_corner_player_news.gif</TD><TD width=6>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif</TD><TD class=s_playerNewsLeftBorder></TD><TD class=s_playerNewsText>3/28/2007: Signed a five-year, $33 million contract. The deal contains $18 million in bonuses. $16 million is guaranteed, including a $9 million "signing bonus" in the second year. 2009-2010: $3.25 million, 2011: $4 million, 2012: Free Agent</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I think just to cut bly it would cost almost 10 million dollars or roughly a 1/3 of our free money

SonOfLe-loLang
And, ahh, whatever...i dont care. my point is if they want to go 3-4, raze the D and go 3-4.

Broncos_OTM
02-13-2009, 04:42 PM
<TABLE class=s_playerNewsTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=s_playerNewsTitle style="BACKGROUND: #000044"><TABLE class=s_playerNewsTitle cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left width=33>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/teamlogos/NFL_sm/DEN.gif</TD><TD align=left> Contract Information for Champ Bailey</TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 10px" align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TD style="BACKGROUND: #000044" width=14>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/right_corner_player_news.gif</TD><TD width=6>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif</TD><TD class=s_playerNewsLeftBorder>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif</TD><TD class=s_playerNewsText>3/3/2004: Signed a seven-year, $63 million contract. The deal contains $23 million guaranteed, including an $18 million signing bonus. 2009: $6.5 million, 2010: $9.5 million, 2011: Free Agent </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Broncos_OTM
02-13-2009, 04:44 PM
And, ahh, whatever...i dont care. my point is if they want to go 3-4, raze the D and go 3-4.

I'm not trying to bag on you. I'm trying to show you what you think is just not feasable

SonOfLe-loLang
02-13-2009, 04:49 PM
When exactly is a signing bonus paid...not its cap considerations, but the actual money

Broncos_OTM
02-13-2009, 04:52 PM
i know for a fact that some bonuses roster and what not are due in march.. you would have to ask eddiemac he might know better then i

SonOfLe-loLang
02-13-2009, 04:58 PM
i know for a fact that some bonuses roster and what not are due in march.. you would have to ask eddiemac he might know better then i

Yeah, roster bonuses are usually in march, but i wonder if signing bonuses are paid all up front or if they are spread out...hmmm.

mattob14
02-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Ok, so i gave this a lot of not so serious thought and realized a few things.

1) Considering that our 08 defense was historically bad (and cant get much worse) there's no reason to run a 4-3/3-4 hybrid if it's Nolan's goal to run a 3-4. So lets just raze the d and rebuild a 3-4

2) Our offense is still so young that it probably wont reach its prime potential for 2-3 years, which gives us time to build a defense that can be 15th in the league (which is where i believe it'll need to be to be super bowl competitive when our offense matures...this also assumes no major injury to our stars will happen)

3) Given the economic climate and the apparent lack of desire to spend, we need a creative overhaul that is "somewhat" fiscally responsible. This plan will involve spending money, but we will cut a lot as well (and this is quite radical i admit, so bare with me)

4) As evidenced by last year, we can at least stay somewhat competitive with our offense while the D goes through a rebuilding stage.

Enter....the plan. Now, this plan does not have to be taken literally (step by step) but i enjoy the spirit of it.

Lets put it into action:

Lets assume capspace isnt that much of a concern this year (its not), its more overall spending. So, with this in mind, we need to cut current salary: We TRADE CHAMP and pick up a 2nd and 3rd (sounds reasonable right?). We cut Dre Bly, we cut Boss, we cut Stokely (ill get to why in a minute), Nate Jackson, Niko...youre out. Since the idea of Dumervil backpeddling scares me, we unload him for a 3rd (i think thats probably the market value for a good pass rushing DE right now).

OK, so we go into the draft with ... 1,2,2,3,3,3,4,5,5,6,6 (lets assume foxworth resigns with atl for the sake of argument.) and a 7th.

On to free agency! (lets not account for small free agent backups...but lets assume there will be some)

DL - We sign Chris Canty (26) and Grady Jackson, re-sign Kenny Peterson - Jackson will just be the stopgap player for a year (if that) where as Canty is an integrel cog for the 2-3 year plan, for reasons i dont think we need to explain. We can move thomas out to end (where i think he can be very solid with his athleticism), backed up by Carlton Powell and Kenny Peterson, Crowder.

LB - We sign Channing Crowder to man one of the OLB spots. Big enough (250), athletic...i think is a good fit here, and young. Hopefully he doesnt get hurt, as i know he's injury prone. But good energy guy.

DB - We sign OJ Atogwe, and two stopgap corners like Leigh Bodden and Bryant McFadden. Admittedly, with the exception of Atogwe, the defensive backfield will be addressed in later years of the plan because i think a strong front 7 masks ineffecieny in the defensive backfield. Atogwe is a ball hawk we need opposite Barrett (who then can stay in the box and be aggressive..i'm high on him, i think he can be a good one) and Bodden and McFadden will be fine for now.

WR - This is unecessary, but would be fun. TJ Housh. In the McDaniels offense, its a three pronged attack and, currently, it seems (if we want royal playing the welker role) that we need another receiver to stretch the field. This would make an awesome threesome! I also realize its unnecessary, but whatever, i dont think its a bad signing and would be a huge headache for any D-coordinator.

OL - Resign Wiegmann (this might be the only thing that actually happens in my entire plan)

Draft Day - yay! OK, this will involve some dreaming, but hey..thats what the plan is all about.

1st Round - Lets assume we are too low for Raji, but he's the future cornerstone of our D. Lets just say he slips to 10, we trade a 3rd to move up the two spots and grab him at 10 (green bay has harrell and pickett, im not sure they are in any rush to get Raji). Also, in my little dream (but somewhat realistic world), Maualuga slips (like some experts are predicting) into the 20's. Lets trade a 2,3,4,6 to move back into the end of the first and grab him in the 23-26 range.

2nd Round - With that movement, we're still left with a 2nd rounder, which we will use on Clint Sintim, who is perfect to man the other OLB spot in a 3-4

3rd Round - I'm a big fan of peyton hillis. He's a beast, a unique weapon and I want him pounding the ball quite a bit next year. But we could use a Lightning to his thunder and Jeremiah Johnson out of Oregon seems to be a great complement to Hillis. Lets get him in the third.

4th Round - We combine our 5ths to move back into the 4th to grab Macho Harris (who experts say is slipping into the 3-5 area. Lets just say we can grab him here.

6th Round - Best athlete avail.

7th - John Parker Wilson (or QB of choice to be groomed)

OK, now lets take a look at the roster with changes.

QB - Cutler, John Parker Wilson, practice squad QB
RB - Hillis, J. Johnson, Selvin Young, Ryan Torain, (that little scatback on our PS?) I dont think we need a fullback since Hillis can double..but i dont think the pats really used one?
WR - Bmarsh, royal, TJ, Chadjax, whoever
TE - Graham, Scheff, Putzier (?), Leach
OL - Clady, Hamilton, Wiegmann, Kuper, Harris, Polumbus, Lichtensteiger (either draft pick (the 6th) or small free agent signing a la Dylan Gandy)

DE - Canty, Powell, Crowder, Peterson
NT - G, Jackson, BJ Raji
DE - M Thomas (same back ups)

OLB - Channing Crowder, J. Moss
ILB - Maualuga, Larsen, Haggan
ILB - DJ Williams (same backups)
OLB - Clint Sintim (we have to find a place for Woodyard SOMEWHERE)

CB - McFadden, Harris, JMFW, Josh Bell
CB - Bodden (same backups)
FS - Atogwe, Manuel
SS - Barrett - Manuel, small free agent/draft pick, V. Fox?

As said, it isnt perfect, and since its a 2/3 year plan, its fortified and added to over the next couple of seasons...but i think the spirit of the plan would be a fun direction to go in! And im sure im missing roster spots, but you know, this is the gist.

Now im sure NONE of this will ever happen, but well, this is what you'd all crucify me for if I was running the Denver Broncos.

Flame away!!!!

hmmm....where to start? I don't mind the cuts (except for Stokely) or the 2 trades. We won't have the budget for all the FA's though. Take out Housh and Crowder and it looks better.

As for the draft, I don't like giving up the farm for Raji and Maualuga. I wouldn't mind Raji at #12 (although moving up 2 spots for him feels like the Moss deal to me), but the value in the 2nd-3rd rounds this year is fantastic and I'd hate to give up all those picks for Maualuga. I do like the Sintim pick though.

It's a mixed bag for me- it seemed to start with some promise, but ultimately we pretty much end up moving Champ and Doom (2nd and 2 3rds) for Maualuga (2, 3, 4, 6). That's a high price to pay for a player with a fairly significant bust factor.

gyldenlove
02-13-2009, 06:46 PM

To review:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

See ya DeWayne!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How wrong can one man be.....

Firstly you can only designate ONE June 1st cut per year, so we would have to keep all those players around until after June 1st before cutting them to spread out the cap hit. But wait, there is more - since this is the last capped year there is no June 1st rule, all bonus accelration will be counted against the 2009 cap, so ALL signing bonus will count again this years cap if we cut players. Your entire argument is without value.

Dewayne Robertson has no signing bonus so cutting him is free.

Cutting John Engelberger will save us about 600k on the cap. Cutting Manuel will free up 1 million cap space, Cutting Koutouvides will save us 1 million cap space. Cutting Boss Bailey and Crowder will end up costing cap room but saving cash.

Since 2010 is uncapped, we would be better off waiting and then cutting expensive contracts neat year as the salary cap accelration would not count against the cap. I expect a lot of teams are going to do that so next year could be an interesting free agent year.

socalorado
02-13-2009, 09:20 PM

Firstly you can only designate ONE June 1st cut per year, so we would have to keep all those players around until after June 1st before cutting them to spread out the cap hit. But wait, there is more - since this is the last capped year there is no June 1st rule, all bonus accelration will be counted against the 2009 cap, so ALL signing bonus will count again this years cap if we cut players. Your entire argument is without value.

Cutting John Engelberger will save us about 600k on the cap. Cutting Manuel will free up 1 million cap space, Cutting Koutouvides will save us 1 million cap space. Cutting Boss Bailey and Crowder will end up costing cap room but saving cash.

Since 2010 is uncapped, we would be better off waiting and then cutting expensive contracts neat year as the salary cap accelration would not count against the cap. I expect a lot of teams are going to do that so next year could be an interesting free agent year.

Glad i read the whole thread, cause i was about to chime in. Great post!
So, how would you take the exact FA space and draft picks that SOLLL has above and make your own picks? Who would you take and why?
5 FA players and these picks.1,2,2,3,3,3,4,5,5,6,6,7 DO with them as you will

socalorado
02-13-2009, 10:11 PM
FA
DT SHAUN CODY
DT GRADY JACKSON
FS OJ ATOGWE (If franchised, FS JAMES SANDERS)
ILB CARLOS DANSBY (If franchised ILB BART SCOTT)
CB RONALD BARTELL (If franchised, CB LEIGH BODDEN)

TRADES- DEN TRADES 1ST, 2 3RDS/JARVIS MOSS TO CLE FOR THE #5 PICK IN THE DRAFT.
DEN TRADES 2 5THS, AND A 6TH TO MIA FOR A 4TH
1 EVERETTE BROWN DE FL ST
2 LESEAN McCOY RB PIT
2 RON BRACE NT BC
3 *TRADED TO CLE*
3 *TRADED TO CLE*
3 MITCH KING DE IOWA
4 ERIC WOOD C LOUIVILLE
4 CARY HARRIS CB USC
5 *TRADED TO MIA *
5 *TRADED TO MIA*
6 *TRADED TO MIA*
6 JOSE MARTINEZ K UTEP
7 BRIAN JOHNSON QB UTAH

BroncoMan4ever
02-14-2009, 12:30 AM
if your plan actually happened i would feel like driving down to Broncos Headquarters with a shotgun and a box of shells and proceed to kill every single person on staff

Broncos_OTM
02-14-2009, 01:03 AM

For all the reading you did you sure did miss the biggest part of it all ..

First off this is a post from Cugel on Broncosforums. he did a couple of cost cutting measures... and while we would save money LONG TERM. Releaseing these players WOULD cripple us this year. enjoy

Try and keep up here sonny

gyldenlove
02-14-2009, 09:00 AM
For all the reading you did you sure did miss the biggest part of it all ..

First off this is a post from Cugel on Broncosforums. he did a couple of cost cutting measures... and while we would save money LONG TERM. Releaseing these players WOULD cripple us this year. enjoy

Try and keep up here sonny

How would SAVING money against the cap cripple us?

Besides the entire premise of that post is wrong since it is based on being able to spread a lot of the accelrated cap cost over 2009 and 2010 which is not possible.

I am not sure if you understood, we SAVE 1 million cap space by cutting Niko, he will count about 2.2 mill if we keep him this year, only 1.2 if we cut him that is a saving of 1 million. Same goes for Engelberger and Manuel they will take more cap room if we keep them than if we cut them. I know it is never nice to carry dead money, but the amount of dead money is significantly LESS than the amount of money the players would cost to have on the roster.

Considering Robertson, and this is where that post is 100% wrong, he has NO signing bonus. He had 4 million in guarantees and that was last years salary, that has been paid and counted. If we cut him today he will take up 0$ on the salary cap. I will repeat the 0 for effect. Which will be a saving of several million dollars.

27atwater
02-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Interesting. My plan was simply to draft wisely. MAYBE grab a 3-4 DE like Canty or Wright(?) from NE.