PDA

View Full Version : jim and jeff goodman fired

Pages : [1] 2

tsiguy96
02-12-2009, 03:27 PM
per NFL network.

Hogan11
02-12-2009, 03:28 PM
They must've badmouthed Cutler & Marshall.

bronco610
Damn it !!!

Hotrod
wtf?

Rohirrim
02-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Yikes! WTF?

Archer81
02-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Makes no sense.

:Broncos:

SonOfLe-loLang
02-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Ummmm

SonOfLe-loLang
Maybe its because he cut Alridge:)

BigPlayShay
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/12/more-shocking-moves-from-the-broncos/

More shocking moves from the Broncos

In yet another jarring shakeup, the Denver Broncos have reshuffled their front office for the second time in less than a year.

Denver dismissed general manager Jim Goodman and his son Jeff Goodman, another Broncos personnel executive, and promoted Brian Xanders from assistant general manager to general manager, a league source said Thursday.

Last year the Broncos fired then general manager Ted Sundquist, and now they have shaken up their front office yet again to go along with the coaching shakeup.

Xanders joined the Broncos in May after spending 14 seasons with the Atlanta Falcons, where he worked as the Falcons’ director of football administration/player personnel analyst.

Xanders worked with the Falcons in a variety of capacities, including player personnel, coaching, salary cap management, information technology and business management. He was a member of Falcons’ coaching staff on their 1998 team that became the first in franchise history to earn a Super Bowl berth (XXXIII).

Willynowei
02-12-2009, 03:31 PM
What a great offseason this has been, aren't you guys excited???

Hotrod
Is this a bad joke?

elsid13
wtf?

tsiguy96
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=77142

BMarsh615
02-12-2009, 03:32 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=DEN

According to NFL Network's Adam Schefter, the Broncos dismissed GM Jim Goodman and his son Jeff Goodman, another personnel executive, and promoted Brian Xanders from assistant GM to general manager.

The Gutless Drunk does it again

elsid13
02-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Is this a bad joke?

-Some-one's head needed to roll with cut of Mustard

SouthStndJunkie
I wonder if McDaniels and the Goodmans were not on the same page?

Dexter
This is so confusing, why wait until after the senior bowl and so close to the combine?

SonOfLe-loLang
I'll safely assume there was too much head-butting here

elsid13
Gutless Drunk comes to mind.

SouthStndJunkie
02-12-2009, 03:36 PM
I wonder if McDaniels and the Goodmans were not on the same page?

SonOfLe-loLang
02-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Thats kinda what im thinking. This actually gets a big yawn from me since we have no clue who was calling shots there anyway

MVP-06
02-12-2009, 03:37 PM
you gotta be kidding me

tsiguy96
02-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Thats kinda what im thinking. This actually gets a big yawn from me since we have no clue who was calling shots there anyway

basically.

Man-Goblin
02-12-2009, 03:41 PM
I gotta say, this CBS4 text message was even more shocking than the Shannahan one.

SouthStndJunkie
02-12-2009, 03:41 PM
The timing of this is all wrong as well....they should be in full free agent evaluation mode and looking towards the draft.

Must have been some major philosophical differences.

Florida_Bronco
02-12-2009, 03:43 PM
The timing of this is all wrong as well....they should be in full free agent evaluation mode and looking towards the draft.

That's what I'm thinking.

Northman
02-12-2009, 03:44 PM
My confidence factor in Bowlen just went to 0.

Hawaii_Guy
This is Dumb!! The Goodman Drafts have been some of our better drafts! DUMB!!

SouthStndJunkie
Maybe Jim Goodman tried sending Josh McDaniels out to get him some chili dogs?

BigPlayShay
From official site:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8839

Broncos Name Xanders General Manager

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Denver Broncos President and CEO Pat Bowlen on Thursday announced the appointment of Brian Xanders as General Manager for the National Football League team, effective immediately.

Bowlen said, "In evaluating the work of our football operations department over the past several weeks, it has become clear to me that Brian Xanders is the right person to step into our general manager’s job. I am confident he will work in tandem with Head Coach Josh McDaniels to re-establish our football team at the level we desire."

Bowlen also announced that both Jim Goodman and Jeff Goodman have been dismissed from the organization. Jim Goodman had been Vice President of Football Operations and Jeff Goodman had been Assistant General Manager, sharing that post with Xanders.

Xanders said, "This appointment comes with unfortunate circumstances as I have enjoyed working with Jim and Jeff over the last year. Nevertheless, I am humbled by this opportunity and accept it as a great challenge on behalf of our fans, our community, Mr. Bowlen and the organization. I am excited to work together with Coach McDaniels and put our collective resources into winning football games."

McDaniels said, "I want to thank Jim and Jeff for their contributions to the Denver Broncos. I’m excited for Brian and look forward to working with him hand-in-hand well into the future."

Xanders joined the Broncos as Assistant General Manager on May 5, 2008, after spending the previous 14 years with the Atlanta Falcons in player personnel, coaching and football operations.

Xanders now is in charge of all player personnel issues, including college scouting, pro personnel and labor negotiations. He also will have oversight responsibilities with respect to the video, equipment, grounds and athletic training staffs.

He played college football at Florida State University, where he was a linebacker on four bowl-winning teams. Xanders graduated from FSU with a bachelor’s degree in business management along with a master’s degree in business administration.

Hogan11
Nothing like having a front office in total disarray. Just when you think you have the answers, Bowlen changes the questions.

Florida_Bronco
02-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Maybe Jim Goodman tried sending Josh McDaniels out to get him some chili dogs?

LOL

crowebomber
This doesn't sound good. This couldn't have been planned which indicates that something is going on.

SouthStndJunkie
That's what I'm thinking.

That has to be why.

The Goodmans must have wanted to go in one direction and McDaniels and Xanders in another, in terms of their vision for the team.

SouthStndJunkie
02-12-2009, 03:46 PM
I guess it is better to make a clean break now.

eddie mac
02-12-2009, 03:46 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about Free Agency. From the pieces I've been reading from the Post and RMN the vibe they're getting is that Bowlen wont be opening his wallet too much at all next month despite the available cap room.

SouthStndJunkie
02-12-2009, 03:48 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about Free Agency. From the pieces I've been reading from the Post and RMN the vibe they're getting is that Bowlen wont be opening his wallet too much at all next month despite the available cap room.

That is kind of what I have been thinking as well.

tsiguy96
i dont think this is a huge of deal as its made out to be personally. again, before everyone starts crying lets wait and see how this turns out :)

s0phr0syne
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8839

Broncos Name Xanders General Manager

DenverBroncos.com
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Denver Broncos President and CEO Pat Bowlen (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=113) on Thursday announced the appointment of Brian Xanders (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=8687) as General Manager for the National Football League team, effective immediately.

Bowlen said, "In evaluating the work of our football operations department over the past several weeks, it has become clear to me that Brian Xanders is the right person to step into our general manager’s job. I am confident he will work in tandem with Head Coach Josh McDaniels (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9591) to re-establish our football team at the level we desire."

Bowlen also announced that both Jim Goodman and Jeff Goodman have been dismissed from the organization. Jim Goodman had been Vice President of Football Operations and Jeff Goodman had been Assistant General Manager, sharing that post with Xanders.

Xanders said, "This appointment comes with unfortunate circumstances as I have enjoyed working with Jim and Jeff over the last year. Nevertheless, I am humbled by this opportunity and accept it as a great challenge on behalf of our fans, our community, Mr. Bowlen and the organization. I am excited to work together with Coach McDaniels and put our collective resources into winning football games."

McDaniels said, "I want to thank Jim and Jeff for their contributions to the Denver Broncos. I’m excited for Brian and look forward to working with him hand-in-hand well into the future."

Xanders joined the Broncos as Assistant General Manager on May 5, 2008, after spending the previous 14 years with the Atlanta Falcons in player personnel, coaching and football operations.

Xanders now is in charge of all player personnel issues, including college scouting, pro personnel and labor negotiations. He also will have oversight responsibilities with respect to the video, equipment, grounds and athletic training staffs.

He played college football at Florida State University, where he was a linebacker on four bowl-winning teams. Xanders graduated from FSU with a bachelor’s degree in business management along with a master’s degree in business administration.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

BroncoMan4ever
02-12-2009, 03:49 PM
sounds to me like Bowlen decided to make Xanders GM and the Goodmans' disagreed so they were let go.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Nothing like having a front office in total disarray. Just when you think you have the answers, Bowlen changes the questions.

Its actually not in disarray at all. They had three guys doing one guys job...now they have one

orange crusher
02-12-2009, 03:55 PM

...and he'll probably get what he pays for. If maximizing profit is more important than winning, we better get used to a below average defense.

eddie mac
Its actually not in disarray at all. They had three guys doing one guys job...now they have one

Let's hope he can cope with it then. The Goodman's have knocked out some pretty impressive offensive drafts in recent years and if this team is to go anywhere that needs to continue and improve on the other side of the ball.

crowebomber

Yeah, but the "one guy" is a new guy not one of the guys who have had some pretty successful drafts in recent years.

cmhargrove
02-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Mother ****er!

eddie mac
...and he'll probably get what he pays for. If maximizing profit is more important than winning, we better get used to a below average defense.

I dont think it's that OC but when you read things like Bly and Graham being owed deferred payments this season from either 2007 or 2008 you start to worry IMO. The last time Bowlen had to do that he was forking out for the new stadium.

It's no co-incidence that these 2 left when Pat is already forking out near $10m a year for coaches who wont even be on the staff this season.

montrose
I'm shocked. Bowlen's exact quote was "Jim Goodman has his job and will have is job."

ludo21
02-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Xanders was the man behind it all after all!

theAPAOps5
02-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Well maybe the Goodmans evaluation of Talent wasn't really that great, on defense at least. Of course the OMane is going to freak out and become Drama Llamas but in reality its a good move at least in the fact that it eliminated some of the Chiefs at Dove Valley. Too many chiefs isn't a good thing.

cmhargrove
02-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Well maybe the Goodmans evaluation of Talent wasn't really that great, on defense at least. Of course the OMane is going to freak out and become Drama Llamas but in reality its a good move at least in the fact that it eliminated some of the Chiefs at Dove Valley. Too many chiefs isn't a good thing.

So now we'll get a Xanderific defense?

He did such a smash up job with all those picks for Atlanta all these years...

SonOfLe-loLang
02-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Yeah, but the "one guy" is a new guy not one of the guys who have had some pretty successful drafts in recent years.

Or....they got lucky. Which im sure has a lot to do with it.

gyldenlove
02-12-2009, 04:07 PM
I am wondering how the balance changes now, Jim Goodman had final say over player decisions ahead of McDaniels, does Xanders now get final say?

montrose
02-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Sandy Clough on The Fan has been saying in recent weeks that the Broncos were really, really high on Xanders. With that, I imagine their must've been some major disagreements on talent between the Goodman's and McDaniels. While we want to give the Goodman's credit for the good picks, I don't know how much or little credit or responsibility we can give to them for their good/bad picks.

More than anything, this shows me we are looking to go in a COMPLETELY new direction and I don't think anyone is safe. Everyone's on edge, I like it.

TheReverend
02-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Pat's on the bottttttttttttttttttttle againnnnnnnnnnnnnn

orange crusher
02-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Xanders was the man behind it all after all!

Behind what? Last year's draft was over when he joined the Broncos.

TheReverend
02-12-2009, 04:12 PM
The front office is like a ****ing Shakespeare play this off-season...

SonOfLe-loLang
02-12-2009, 04:13 PM
The front office is like a ****ing Shakespeare play this off-season...

I think this is Much Ado About Nothing.....HEY OH!!!!

yerner
02-12-2009, 04:14 PM
if it walks, talks and acts like a cluster****...

Kaylore
02-12-2009, 04:14 PM
I can only think of a few reasons this happened.

McDaniels and the Goodmans butted heads on personnel and Bowlen decided to nix them. This seams unlikely because McDaniels said himself when asked in his press conference if there were a difference of opinion in personnel matters, the Goodman's would manage things. But then again maybe after looking at players it became abundantly clear that the relationship wasn't going to work.
Xanders is really a good evaluator and was picked for the promotion because he earned it. The Goodman's decided they were overqualified to work for him and moved on. The timing of this seems to suggest this wasn't the case. The official announcement is very quick and cold too. I think this is unlikely.
The Goodmans started strong-arming Bowlen into a better deal for either one of them (both?), threatened to walk if they didn't get what they wanted, and Bowlen canned them and went with Xanders in a "**** you too!" move.

Either way it doesn't look good. The Goodman's were running things and responsible for the really nice drafts we've had. They'll have work in relatively short order.

Xanders was primarily responsible for player contracts. Has he had any experience in GM role? I'm officially scared now.

NASurfer
02-12-2009, 04:18 PM
We'll probably be imitating the Chargers and Patriots approach rather then Shanahan's FA fix style. With the bad economy and the lucky to compete for a wildcard and get blown out by the Colts and Chargers despite the high payroll status we've had the last few years, Bowlen is gonna sink or swim with this approach.

Of course this plan will fall to **** if we fail on draft day. Let's hope not. :giggle:

montrose
02-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Xanders was primarily responsible for player contracts. Has he had any experience in GM role? I'm officially scared now.

When Clough interviewed Xanders following McDaniels' hire, he was glowing about his personnel evaluation. Perhaps were looking at Josh's football knowledge complimenting Xanders negotiating/handling the F.O. budget. With that, Xanders was a LB at FSU and a coach with the Falcons - so he does have a "football background".

baja
02-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Quick someone bump the "Gutless Drunk" thread

Rulon Velvet Jones
02-12-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm blaming the economy. Why pay 3 guys when 1 can do it?

Merlin
02-12-2009, 04:29 PM
So a guy who worked for 14 yrs for a totally incompetent organization (they actually improved AFTER he left) is going to take the place of the two guys who finally turned around the draft in Denver and made it a powerhouse. Yeah, genius still at work.

Drek
02-12-2009, 04:31 PM
This makes me genuinely concerned about Bowlen's financial situation vis a vie the Broncos, for sure.

As for actually letting the Goodmans go, I'm not a fan because they seemed to be doing really good work here, but it sure does signal a new regime change.

All I can assume now is that McDaniels is running the show just like he learned from Belichick and he thinks Xanders will fill the Pioli role well for him.

Malcontent
02-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Somewhere..Shanny is shaking his head and wondering what the freak happened here??

backup qb
02-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Boy! You take a break from looking at the mane and there is huge news yet again. I shoulda known better.

montrose
02-12-2009, 04:34 PM
So a guy who worked for 14 yrs for a totally incompetent organization (they actually improved AFTER he left) is going to take the place of the two guys who finally turned around the draft in Denver and made it a powerhouse. Yeah, genius still at work.

This move is all about McDaniels, at least I think. I look at Xanders taking a role much like Sundquist.

Malcontent

QFFT Merlin!!

TDmvp
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4458/lombarditrophywl9.jpg

backup qb
02-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Somewhere..Shanny is shaking his head and wondering what the freak happened here??

You got that right. I know I am. Not that anyone cares about my opinion. Maybe Pat saw the error of his ways and is clearing a spot for Shanny to come back. You never know.

backup qb
02-12-2009, 04:37 PM
TDMvp-You may be on to something with the upside down trophy.

Rohirrim
02-12-2009, 04:39 PM
I'm just hoping this doesn't mean more power to young padawan Josh. :oyvey:

Malcontent
02-12-2009, 04:39 PM
You got that right. I know I am. Not that anyone cares about my opinion. Maybe Pat saw the error of his ways and is clearing a spot for Shanny to come back. You never know.

No..that wasn't what I was referring to there pal, Shanny is gone..I just meant that he probably is thinking and grinning a bit about how things might just work out for him afterall.:giggle:

Merlin
02-12-2009, 04:40 PM
So now we'll get a Xanderific defense?
He did such a smash up job with all those picks for Atlanta all these years...
So the team has a HC with virtually no proven record from a tree that has been mediocre at best. To the team provides him with good personnel the team fires the two guys that have turned Denver's draft into a powerhouse, and makes the dud from Atlanta the top guy. BTW, that dud spent 14 yrs in one of the worst organizations in football, and actually got better after he left. Yeah, this is a well thought out plan.

PS it is amazing how many are willing to justify these events as good strategy and dismiss the critics as drama-lamas.

I'm willing to wait and see how our new HC performs, but this last move is the exclamation point of this off-season's idiocy...at least I hope this is the end of it.

BroncoInferno
02-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Well, everyone has just kind of assumed that the Goodman's have been responsible for the draft success (offensively anyway), but do we know this for sure? Maybe this Xanders guy is the real brains behind the outfit. Who knows, though. Curious move to say the least after the time that has elapsed.

elsid13
02-12-2009, 04:42 PM
I give up. Maybe it time of Pat to sell the team. Maybe he the reason that we haven't won.

elsid13
02-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Well, everyone has just kind of assumed that the Goodman's have been responsible for the draft success (offensively anyway), but do we know this for sure? Maybe this Xanders guy is the real brains behind the outfit. Who knows, though. Curious move to say the least after the time that has elapsed.

Xanders wasn't here for the drafts. He just showed up last year after the draft process had started.

elsid13
02-12-2009, 04:44 PM
I can only think of a few reasons this happened.

McDaniels and the Goodmans butted heads on personnel and Bowlen decided to nix them. This seams unlikely because McDaniels said himself when asked in his press conference if there were a difference of opinion in personnel matters, the Goodman's would manage things. But then again maybe after looking at players it became abundantly clear that the relationship wasn't going to work.
Xanders is really a good evaluator and was picked for the promotion because he earned it. The Goodman's decided they were overqualified to work for him and moved on. The timing of this seems to suggest this wasn't the case. The official announcement is very quick and cold too. I think this is unlikely.
The Goodmans started strong-arming Bowlen into a better deal for either one of them (both?), threatened to walk if they didn't get what they wanted, and Bowlen canned them and went with Xanders in a "**** you too!" move.

Either way it doesn't look good. The Goodman's were running things and responsible for the really nice drafts we've had. They'll have work in relatively short order.

Option 4 - Goodmans said that not the way Shanahan would have done that and this why you need to follow the way Shanahan did things kid.

Taco John
02-12-2009, 04:44 PM
i dont think this is a huge of deal as its made out to be personally. again, before everyone starts crying lets wait and see how this turns out :)

You're such a homer...

Merlin
02-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Xanders wasn't here for the drafts. He just showed up last year after the draft process had started.
Yes, I think he came in around May.

BroncoInferno
02-12-2009, 04:46 PM

Well, who the hell knows then? Perplexing. Something obviously went down in the recent days, because Bowlen was clearly planning to have the Goodmans remain aboard a month ago. The proverbial "philosophical differences", perhaps? Josh talked about getting together after he was hired to watch film and make evaluations. They must not have been on the same page.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-12-2009, 04:48 PM
So the team has a HC with virtually no proven record from a tree that has been mediocre at best. To the team provides him with good personnel the team fires the two guys that have turned Denver's draft into a powerhouse, and makes the dud from Atlanta the top guy. BTW, that dud spent 14 yrs in one of the worst organizations in football, and actually got better after he left. Yeah, this is a well thought out plan.

PS it is amazing how many are willing to justify these events as good strategy and dismiss the critics as drama-lamas.

I'm willing to wait and see how our new HC performs, but this last move is the exclamation point of this off-season's idiocy...at least I hope this the end of it.

A lot of talk considering you've never been in a broncos meeting, falcons meeting, or met any of these people. So your rash judgments really have little to no merit. And the "mediocre" tree really has nothing to do with anything. Each guy is their own individual. not to mention, Mangini really wasnt so bad with the Jets and Crennel took a perennially shiity team and put them in the playoffs one year.

Its like those people who look at a roulette wheel and honestly think that since black showed up 5 straight times, chances are red will hit...when in actuality the chances are always the same.

Then again, this is the mane and the sky is always falling

Merlin
02-12-2009, 04:48 PM
This move is all about McDaniels, at least I think. I look at Xanders taking a role much like Sundquist.
Well that makes sense. We should give an unproven 32-yr-old the clout Shanny had. Lets not forget how well that worked in the draft until they got...oh f(*& they fired them.

Taco John
02-12-2009, 04:49 PM
This really sucks... Just when I was starting to feel comfortable and even optimistic, we get a kick to the gut. You're not supposed to get kicks to the gut in February.

Malcontent
02-12-2009, 04:50 PM
A lot of talk considering you've never been in a broncos meeting, falcons meeting, or met any of these people. So your rash judgments really have little to no merit. And the "mediocre" tree really has nothing to do with anything. Each guy is their own individual. not to mention, Mangini really wasnt so bad with the Jets and Crennel took a perennially shiity team and put them in the playoffs one year.

Its like those people who look at a roulette wheel and honestly think that since black showed up 5 straight times, chances are red will hit...when in actuality the chances are always the same.

Then again, this is the mane is the sky is always falling

So in your world, the sun is shining and the Broncos are in complete and total harmony with each other. Uggh..ROFL!

USMCBladerunner
02-12-2009, 04:51 PM

couldn't have said it better myself

Kaylore
02-12-2009, 04:51 PM
On the bright side, if our next drafts are awesome, I'm claiming credit for calling him Professor X.

Kaylore
02-12-2009, 04:52 PM

Honestly he reminds me of Ted Sundquist, which needless to say, is not good.

SoDak Bronco
02-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Seems to me that Mr. Bowlen is putting a puppet in place so he can pull more strings. This does not look good. I am really disappointed in this move by Bowlen. Pretty apparent the Goodmens were responsible for our recent drafting success and you get rid of them? WTF is he thinking.

bpc
02-12-2009, 04:54 PM
We look like an f'n mess right now. 2 weeks before FA and we're removing a big part of our FO. The Senior Bowl has already passed, all of that was for nothing it seems.

And Bowlen? He's changing his mind every minute.

"Shanahan is my coach for life", then he's not.

"Goodman has his job and will have his job", then he doesn't.

"I understand that i'm judged by how many super bowls I win in my short time left here and that's what i'm determined to do", yet it's being kicked around that Bowlen is cash strapped and we won't be making any splash in FA next month.

"We need to build a new stadium so we can generate money to compete for free agents" but then we don't.

Seems to me that Bowlen is starting to look like a liar.

Dark times my friends, dark times. Shanahan protected this organization from really having any bad years, rebuilding or any of that. Now it looks like Bowlen is tearing the franchise apart piece by piece to prove that the BUCK stops with him.

Damn right it does.

elsid13
02-12-2009, 04:55 PM
This really sucks... Just when I was starting to feel comfortable and even optimistic, we get a kick to the gut. You're not supposed to get kicks to the gut in February.

It the 15 inch aids pulsing ding-dong that causing all the panic at Dove Valley.

Taco John
02-12-2009, 04:55 PM
All this does is reopen the wound that was just healing. If he was going to purge the entire front office, he should have just purged the entire front office.

This isn't Fantasy ****ing Football.™

TheDave
02-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Wtf?

No really WTF???

SonOfLe-loLang
02-12-2009, 04:56 PM
So in your world, the sun is shining and the Broncos are in complete and total harmony with each other. Uggh..ROFL!

No, i find it strange for sure, but its not necessarily a downgrade based on "past performance." I just hate when people here act like they have inside knowledge before checking themselves with simple disclaimers.

bpc
02-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Why didn't we just bring in Pioli with McDaniel? It could have been a package deal.

Taco John
02-12-2009, 04:57 PM
No, i find it strange for sure, but its not necessarily a downgrade based on "past performance." I just hate when people here act like they have inside knowledge before checking themselves with simple disclaimers.

What inside knowledge do you think is needed to evaluate the moves this organization is making?

wolf754life
02-12-2009, 05:00 PM
This is all about McDaniels, what confidence should he have in the Goodmans, what loyalty? None period.

I have it from sources inside the valley of doves that McDaniels has been evaluating every player on the roster over the last month. After his evaluation McD has determined that the Goodmans are not up to par when it comes to drafting and developing defensive talent.

McDaniels feels that he can evaluate offensive talent on Shanahan/Goodman levels and that Xanders is more in line with his thinking on building a 3-4 defense with more strenght and size. Time will tell.

Its time fore people to realize that McDaniels has all the power out there at Dove Valley. He has handpicked his staff, now ousted the fat man GM, and has arranged things exactly how he wants them. Make no mistake, McDaniels and Mike Nolan will have the final say on defensive talent when it comes to the draft.

Xanders will have plenty of weight, but its all about what the Wonderboy wants. I personally like it, lets get rid of everything Shanahan related, change is good, its refreshing, its what we need, everyone scared for their job, everyone doing the little things to stay on board.

Congrats Mr. Bowlen, you have flipped the script, I know that we will not be any worse than we were on Defense and Special Teams. I think we will score more Touch Downs and less field goals, and if our defense plays with DESIRE and Heart we will be light years ahead in a couple of years!

Broncos_OTM
02-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Thank god i knew there was something amiss about goodmans. I think we will find out exactly whats up with this orginization

TheReverend
02-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Well, this writing's been on the wall since early January.

Cutler better get used to carrying the team

SoDak Bronco
02-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Someone check Pat, I think he has the same disease Al Davis has. DFO - DUMB F***ing Owner Syndrome

Malcontent
02-12-2009, 05:03 PM
This is all about McDaniels, what confidence should he have in the Goodmans, what loyalty? None period.

I have it from sources inside the valley of doves that McDaniels has been evaluating every player on the roster over the last month. After his evaluation McD has determined that the Goodmans are not up to par when it comes to drafting and developing defensive talent.

McDaniels feels that he can evaluate offensive talent on Shanahan/Goodman levels and that Xanders is more in line with his thinking on building a 3-4 defense with more strenght and size. Time will tell.

Its time fore people to realize that McDaniels has all the power out there at Dove Valley. He has handpicked his staff, now ousted the fat man GM, and has arranged things exactly how he wants them. Make no mistake, McDaniels and Mike Nolan will have the final say on defensive talent when it comes to the draft.

Xanders will have plenty of weight, but its all about what the Wonderboy wants. I personally like it, lets get rid of everything Shanahan related, change is good, its refreshing, its what we need, everyone scared for their job, everyone doing the little things to stay on board.

Congrats Mr. Bowlen, you have flipped the script, I know that we will not be any worse than we were on Defense and Special Teams. I think we will score more Touch Downs and less field goals, and if our defense plays with DESIRE and Heart we will be light years ahead in a couple of years!

Touchdown is one word you imbicile:strong:

elsid13
02-12-2009, 05:03 PM
I guess it is better to make a clean break now.

Clean break should of occurred at the end of the season, not now coming in FA and the combine

Kaylore
02-12-2009, 05:04 PM
When has letting the coaches pick the talent ever worked in the last ten years?

Merlin
Why didn't we just bring in Pioli with McDaniel? It could have been a package deal.
That I would have understood (despite the Patriots stinking it up the past few drafts). But this ???

SonOfLe-loLang
What inside knowledge do you think is needed to evaluate the moves this organization is making?

Ummm, ALL OF IT. We assume we know whats going on behind the closed doors, but none of us are sure. We can assume who is making decisions, but again, we arent sure. To simply say "the goodmans had good drafts" and "xanders must suck cause the falcons sucked" is not sufficient evidence for anything.

Its not like evaluating players, which we can watch on tv

USMCBladerunner

I know that this offseason has been nothing less than a realized wet dream for you, so I sure hope you are right and not just high on hope.

Taco John
It feels like the Patriots have come in and started calling the shots, and all we can do is just hope they know what they're doing.

elsid13
02-12-2009, 05:05 PM
I know that this offseason has been nothing less than a realized wet dream for you, so I sure hope you are right and not just high on hope.

Remember his "inside" sources have not shown to be right yet.

SoDak Bronco
02-12-2009, 05:06 PM

You are freaking amazing. You cried and cried about Shanny having that type of clout, and now you are embracing it with an unproven 32 year old coach from New England that has zero Front Office experience. You are also behind them getting rid of the Goodman's who have been a major reason why we've had more sucess in the past few drafts.

You just confirmed everything we thought about you.

SouthStndJunkie
02-12-2009, 05:08 PM

I am not sure if I would term our team as a 'powerhouse' at this point.

Merlin
02-12-2009, 05:10 PM
When has letting the coaches pick the talent ever worked in the last ten years?
I'm amazed how people who correctly criticized Shanny for past drafts (the buck stops with him no matter who made the recommendations) are willing to give some 32 yr old with no proven record at management level (and very little at assistant level) unbridled power to run a whole organization. Now that is what I call consistency.

SouthStndJunkie
02-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Clean break should of occurred at the end of the season, not now coming in FA and the combine

I agree with that....but I would rather have them make the change now than let it get ugly down the line.

I am sure Xanders and McDaniels have an idea of what they are looking for in the upcoming free agency period.

Atlas
02-12-2009, 05:16 PM
My confidence factor in Bowlen just went to 0.

Mine was ZERO after the drunk fired Shanny.

Merlin
02-12-2009, 05:18 PM
I am not sure if I would term our team as a 'powerhouse' at this point.
Read a little more carefully. I was clearly referring to the draft. And the Goodmans' draft are virtually second to none. Were they lucky? I don't know, but until they screw-up one had to assume they knew what they were doing. But instead lets go with the proven talent evaluators that are...that's right, we have absolutely no idea if these guys are the three stooges of draftdom, avg or in the Goodman's league.

PS McDaniels is either one serious arrogant mf, or he is as good as some droolers think if he thinks he is better at evaluating talent than the Goodmans. Especially since NE has stunk at drafting since he has had a say as OC, and in the same period the Goodmans ruled the NFL (especially drafting in his area of expertise).

lookin' glass
Someone get Wabbit on the Bronc-O-Phone.

Finger Roll
I liked the coaching change alot since I thought Shanahan wasn't getting it done anymore but this move makes zero sense. Goodman did a great job in the past drafts, although crappy defensive picks. Maybe thats why

UberBroncoMan
02-12-2009, 05:20 PM
You are freaking amazing. You cried and cried about Shanny having that type of clout, and now you are embracing it with an unproven 32 year old coach from New England that has zero Front Office experience. You are also behind them getting rid of the Goodman's who have been a major reason why we've had more sucess in the past few drafts.

You just confirmed everything we thought about you.

To be fair McDaniels actually worked in the front office with player personnel in 2001 with New England.

Merlin
02-12-2009, 05:20 PM
I am sure Xanders and McDaniels have an idea of what they are looking for in the upcoming free agency period.
You are sure...with their record at drafting and evaluating talent. Oh yeah, they either have a record that stinks or no record, but you are sure they will do well. That is some good stuff you are smoking...it's illegal in my part of town.

Finger Roll
02-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Although Goodman is a god at drafting Offensive players he hasn't yet done anything on the other side of the ball. I'm thinking McDaniels wants somebody who has great eye for talent on that side. Not sure the clown from atlanta is the answer

SonOfLe-loLang
02-12-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm amazed how people who correctly criticized Shanny for past drafts (the buck stops with him no matter who made the recommendations) are willing to give some 32 yr old with no proven record at management level (and very little at assistant level) unbridled power to run a whole organization. Now that is what I call consistency.

Again, complete speculation. They HAVE a GM

SouthStndJunkie
02-12-2009, 05:27 PM
You are sure...with their record at drafting and evaluating talent. Oh yeah, they either have a record that stinks or no record, but you are sure they will do well. That is some good stuff you are smoking...it's illegal in my part of town.

You should not hesitate to smoke it, just because it is illegal.

The truth is, we really don't know who called the shots in the 2006 draft, the 2007 draft was not all that good, and the 2008 draft was great.

I am just not going to throw myself on the ground and flail my feet and kick and scream like you at this point and time.

I am going to sit back, chill out, and see what happens.

You make the Goodmans out to be the best talent evaluators in the history of the NFL.

If that was the case, I think we would have a little more talent on the defensive side of the ball....don't you?

tsiguy96
02-12-2009, 05:30 PM
You're such a homer...

yea, im a huge homer for not overreacting like teh rest of the morons on these boards. we have signed approximately 1 good FA since they were here, the rest were a bunch of niko's. so if it makes me a homer for not being a loser who freaks out any time something happens and i want to see what comes of the move before calling everyone gutless drunks, so be it.

btw, no one on this board has absolutely any idea what happened behind the scenes or has any clue how the balance of power was before and after everything has happened. thus, no one on this board has a credible enough opinion to say this move is good or bad, all you can do is cry and stomp your feet til everyone heres you, then watch the same team that i, the person who will reserve judgment til i see if this move is good, will be watching. except i am excited to watch the broncos year in and year out. are you? or are you too busy complaining about what they do wrong, which of course is 100% out of your control.

Broncos_OTM
02-12-2009, 05:32 PM

Congrats Mr. Bowlen, you have flipped the script, I know that we will not be any worse than we were on Defense and Special Teams. I think we will score more Touch Downs and less field goals, and if our defense plays with DESIRE and Heart we will be light years ahead in a couple of years!Why wait until now to bring this to light. your full of **** dude.

tsiguy96
02-12-2009, 05:37 PM
for cereal, you guys need to have just the tiniest bit of faith in the team you supposedly love so much. for having approximately zero clue on how football operations work, you are all 100% adamant you know what is best for this team.

theAPAOps5
02-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Someone get Wabbit on the Bronc-O-Phone.

He won't have much to say. Dove Valley has gone silent! Its Patriots-esque down there. The local media is going nuts

TheReverend
02-12-2009, 05:43 PM
I have to amend my previous thought that Pat caught Shanny banging Annabelle.

Revised:

Pat found a video of Shanny banging Annabelle that the Goodman's directed and filmed.

Broncos_OTM
02-12-2009, 05:44 PM
for cereal, you guys need to have just the tiniest bit of faith in the team you supposedly love so much. for having approximately zero clue on how football operations work, you are all 100% adamant you know what is best for this team.

why dont you stop telling us how to feel about our team. if we wanna be pissed of let us. i bet you were the kid in school that tried to stop the fights..

theAPAOps5
02-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Well I can understand this looks crazy to many people. I have faith that the Broncos are not going Al Davis. That said I won't condemn the Drama folk, its quite entertaining!

tsiguy96
02-12-2009, 05:49 PM
why dont you stop telling us how to feel about our team. if we wanna be pissed of let us. i bet you were the kid in school that tried to stop the fights..

no, im tired of people being whiny little bitches over absolutely nothing, blaming absolutely everyone, then when this team wins 11 games youll all be back on the bandwagon.

TheReverend
02-12-2009, 05:51 PM
no, im tired of people being whiny little b****es over absolutely nothing, blaming absolutely everyone, then when this team wins 11 games youll all be back on the bandwagon.

If this is absolutely nothing, I'd love to hear what you think is something...

tsiguy96
02-12-2009, 05:53 PM
If this is absolutely nothing, I'd love to hear what you think is something...

trading champ for a 3rd is something. having the GMs listen to pretty much anything this board ever says is something. (see threads on ryan clady and eddie royal picks). getting rid of 2 GMs who may or may not have had a lot of say in the last few drafts is not really something, especially when we have 2 coaches who wish to evaluate their own talent and a single GM who can help.

colonelbeef
02-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Now they absolutely need to have a good draft. A bad draft this year will be an absolute disaster after what Shanahan did the past few years

Hogan11
02-12-2009, 06:05 PM
no, im tired of people being whiny little b****es over absolutely nothing, blaming absolutely everyone, then when this team wins 11 games youll all be back on the bandwagon.

Cry me a river. Where the **** did you come from anyways? Broncomania?

Archer81
02-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Now they absolutely need to have a good draft. A bad draft this year will be an absolute disaster after what Shanahan did the past few years

Like drafting Cutler and Marshall and Royal and Clady and Kuper and Harris and Hillis and, and, and...

colonelbeef
02-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Like drafting Cutler and Marshall and Royal and Clady and Kuper and Harris and Hillis and, and, and...

that is exactly what I am saying. Shanahan had the two best drafts in team history in 2006 and 2008. If they **** it up this year all of the momentum that was building will be lost and McDaniels will be in a world of hurt.

Taco John
02-12-2009, 06:19 PM
yea, im a huge homer for not overreacting like teh rest of the morons on these boards.

No, you're a huge homer because the only thing you seem to be able to offer by way of analysis is empty statements, sunshine, roses, and puppy dogs.

"We're fans. We can't possible analyze these moves. The Broncos are the greatest no matter what move they make!"

elsid13
02-12-2009, 06:20 PM
No, you're a huge homer because the only thing you seem to be able to offer by way of analysis is empty statements, sunshine, roses, and puppy dogs.

Carefully now, you're hurting Pez's feelings and he might have to go drink a zima.

Farrakhan
02-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Brian Xanders appointed GM of the Broncos

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...ed-gm-broncos/ (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/12/xander-appointed-gm-broncos/)

ENGLEWOOD — Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said it when he fired Mike Shanahan and said it again Thursday when he promoted Brian Xanders.

When it comes to the business of his team, he calls the shots.

“I felt we needed a general manager and Brian was my choice,” Bowlen said. “ ... I want the general manager reporting to me on our new staff.”

In moving Xanders up from his assistant general manager’s position, Bowlen also fired vice president of football operations/personnel Jim Goodman and assistant general manager Jeff Goodman.

The moves continue Bowlen’s quest to clearly define roles in the team’s front office as he moves away from Shanahan’s 14-year tenure as head coach and the team’s top football executive.

“The decision to make Brian Xanders the general manager, reporting back to me, was an important decision,” Bowlen said. “It was not going to be a workable situation between Jeff (Goodman) and Brian. And I think they would say the same thing.”

Xanders did not return a message and the Goodmans could not be reached for comment Thursday.

Bowlen said Xanders will now oversee all of the team’s player personnel operations, including college scouting, pro personnel and contract negotiations. He will also oversee the team’s video, equipment, grounds and training staffs.

In a statement Xanders said, “This appointment comes with unfortunate circumstances as I have enjoyed working with Jim and Jeff over the last year. Nevertheless, I am humbled by this opportunity and accept it as a great challenge on behalf of our fans, our community, Mr. Bowlen and the organization. I am excited to work together with coach (Josh) McDaniels and put our collective resources into winning football games.”

Bowlen said that McDaniels will not report to Xanders, but to Bowlen, and that Xanders now will report to Bowlen as well.

It puts Bowlen clearly at the top of the team’s corporate flow chart with the head coach clearly directing the team’s coaching staff and on-field work with a general manager coordinating scouting and personnel.

Asked Thursday if Xanders’ promotion now made him the team’s top football executive, Bowlen responded, “That’s safe to say, but the head coach is also a football executive. And they’re working together, but Josh has a big job ahead of him and is obviously a very significant part of the organization and I want to make sure we understand that.”

Asked who would make the final decision if there was no consensus on a player, Bowlen said, “There won’t be any ties.”

“I like the idea of having of having a general manager report directly to me and he has a good relationship with the new head coach as well,” Bowlen said. “I don’t know that I’ll suddenly become a great personnel guy, watching film all the time. But I’ll listen to Brian, I’ll listen to anyone in the back of the building (the personnel and scouting departments) and I’ll listen to the head coach. Let me put it this way, we’ll make an informed decision that we all agree on.”

Thursday’s move marked another aggressive shift for Bowlen, one he said he simply needed time to consider. Jim Goodman, who had been one of Shanahan’s most trusted confidants, was in his 12th year with the team since joining as a scout in 1998.

Jeff Goodman, Jim’s son, was set to enter his fourth season with the team. Tyler Goodman, also Jim’s son, just began his second season as a scout for the team.

Just after Bowlen hired McDaniels last month he said “I have no intention of hiring a general manager” and he also said he intended to leave the team’s personnel department intact.

However, in the weeks since as the team evaluated its current roster, attended postseason all-star games like last month’s Senior Bowl and continued to prepare for the scouting combine as well as the opening of free agency Feb. 27, Bowlen said he came to the decision that it was Xanders who should hold the job and that the team’s front office needed to be “steamlined.”

“I don’t want to sound like I didn’t have a great deal of respect for the Goodmans, for Jeff and Jim, but I felt Brian ... was very capable of being a general manager,” Bowlen said. “... I don’t disenfranchise Jim, he did a hell of a job for us, but I felt I wanted Brian in that role, it just took me a while to decide on that.”

At his introductory press conference McDaniels said it was Jim Goodman who would have final say on football matters and Bowlen said the same day that “I think we have all the talent we need in that area,” but Thursday Bowlen said at that time he still hadn’t reached a final decision on what the team’s front office would look like

“I don’t know that I had Jim in that role, that was the perception,” Bowlen said.

Bowlen said while he did give some thought to interviewing a candidate or two for the general manger’s job from outside the organization, he did not meet with anyone about the job other than Xanders.

Xanders, a former linebacker at Florida State, joined the Broncos in May 2008, after spending 14 years with the Atlanta Falcons in player personnel, coaching and football operations.

oubronco
02-12-2009, 06:25 PM
is Bowlen off his fuggin rocker the draft is just around the corner and with the drafts the Goodmans have been having I just don't get it

Taco John
02-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Power play.

baja
02-12-2009, 06:28 PM

Step back off the ledge TJ you were at this spot when Shanny was fired and you came to believe we were going to be alright and you will come around on this too. ;D

No one here has enough information to know how to feel about this so relax and see what unfolds.

Taco John
02-12-2009, 06:30 PM
This is all very simple. Bowlen said it himself - the way he figures it, he doesn't have many years left, and he wants to elevate his profile. He sees guys like Al Davis and Jerry Jones, and these are guys who will end up in the HOF relatively quickly. He's not quite there yet, and wouldn't have gotten there riding shotgun with Shanahan.

This is the era of Bowlen.

socalorado
02-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Hey do any of you think that MCD, Xanders along with Nolan are more than enough to draft players and make FA aquisitions? I think the fact that Xanders was prepped for this position and the hiring of Nolan made the Goodmans sort of expendable. Thats alot of expert opinions right there!
Nolans a pretty sharp dude when it comes to getting defensive talent out of a draft. And Xanders is supposedly solid as well. Just a thought.

Hamrob
02-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Bowlen's trying to save money...that's the reason. He's become so tight...you could bounce a bus off of him. I'm starting to worry...that he doesn't have the $ to make us competetive anymore.

Instead of Colbert, Boss & Koutouvides...what if we had made a play in free agency last year.

Wouldn't we have been in better shape to compete?

yerner
02-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Sounds like Bowlen likes the way Xanders gives a reach around.

baja
Ummm, ALL OF IT. We assume we know whats going on behind the closed doors, but none of us are sure. We can assume who is making decisions, but again, we arent sure. To simply say "the goodmans had good drafts" and "xanders must suck cause the falcons sucked" is not sufficient evidence for anything.

Its not like evaluating players, which we can watch on tv

So far this is the only poster that is not full of shiit.

Kaylore
Power play.

See: Front page. ;)

elsid13
Hey do any of you think that MCD, Xanders along with Nolan are more than enough to draft players and make FA aquisitions? I think the fact that Xanders was prepped for this position and the hiring of Nolan made the Goodmans sort of expendable. Thats alot of expert opinions right there!
Nolans a pretty sharp dude when it comes to getting defensive talent out of a draft. And Xanders is supposedly solid as well. Just a thought.

So you're putting your faith in Nolan and rookie HC drafting?

oubronco
02-12-2009, 06:36 PM
It's the X factor

DBroncos4life
02-12-2009, 06:38 PM
I just think if it isn't broken then don't fix it.

socalorado
02-12-2009, 06:39 PM
So you're putting your faith in Nolan and rookie HC drafting?

Nolans not exactly a rookie of drafting and being part of the process, neither is Xanders.
How long was Xanders in ALT?

crazyhorse
02-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Fired 2 and gave thier jobs to someone already on the payroll. Does that mean he will be doing the job of 3 people?

Meck77
02-12-2009, 06:42 PM
This is all very simple. Bowlen said it himself - the way he figures it, he doesn't have many years left, and he wants to elevate his profile. He sees guys like Al Davis and Jerry Jones, and these are guys who will end up in the HOF relatively quickly. He's not quite there yet, and wouldn't have gotten there riding shotgun with Shanahan.

TJ when did bowlen say he didn't have many years left?

baja
02-12-2009, 06:42 PM
yea, im a huge homer for not overreacting like teh rest of the morons on these boards. we have signed approximately 1 good FA since they were here, the rest were a bunch of niko's. so if it makes me a homer for not being a loser who freaks out any time something happens and i want to see what comes of the move before calling everyone gutless drunks, so be it.

btw, no one on this board has absolutely any idea what happened behind the scenes or has any clue how the balance of power was before and after everything has happened. thus, no one on this board has a credible enough opinion to say this move is good or bad, all you can do is cry and stomp your feet til everyone heres you, then watch the same team that i, the person who will reserve judgment til i see if this move is good, will be watching. except i am excited to watch the broncos year in and year out. are you? or are you too busy complaining about what they do wrong, which of course is 100% out of your control.

Opps here is another poster that is not full of shiit.

socalorado
02-12-2009, 06:46 PM
I think there just were too many "experts" on staff, and there might have been two different points of view. thats all. Decision was made, and now DEN will have MCD, NOLAN, XANDERS to make the FA/DRAFT decisions. How many of you think that this is a bad group to have drafting?

oubronco
02-12-2009, 06:52 PM
“I felt we needed a general manager and Brian was my choice,” Bowlen said. “ ... I want the general manager reporting to me on our new staff.”

It's X time

oubronco
02-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Bowlen said, "In evaluating the work of our football operations department over the past several weeks, it has become clear to me that Brian Xanders is the right person to step into our general manager’s job. I am confident he will work in tandem with Head Coach Josh McDaniels (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9591) to re-establish our football team at the level we desire."

TonyR
02-12-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm amazed how people who correctly criticized Shanny for past drafts (the buck stops with him no matter who made the recommendations) are willing to give some 32 yr old with no proven record at management level (and very little at assistant level) unbridled power to run a whole organization.

You're making a rather grand and dramatic assumption that McDaniels has been given such "unbridled power".

theAPAOps5
02-12-2009, 07:05 PM
I just think if it isn't broken then don't fix it.

Well some would say it was pretty broke. Others would say it wasn't. Obviously Bowlen fell into the first crowd.

We are all passionate about our Broncos so any and all opinions are valid. I am stepping back and thinking this might work out just fine. Basically Bowlen made a new org chart. He is the CEO and President. Xanders is VP of the Front Office. McDaniels is VP of Operations. Both are autonomous when it comes to the other. They only answer to Bowlen. If one of them begins to let the other down Bowlen makes the decision.

Basically Bowlen whose money is pretty much entirely tied up in the Broncos Football Club is taking the reigns and controlling his own destiny. Its a pivotal time in both the Country and the NFL. With the impending work stoppage and new CBA and the recession he decided its time he takes the wheel and drive. He is a damn fine owner, so to me I don't see this as a bad move.

colonelbeef
02-12-2009, 07:06 PM
You're making a rather grand and dramatic assumption that McDaniels has been given such "unbridled power".

And you are making the ridiculous assumption that Xanders had any say whatsoever on the 2008 draft rather than Shanahan and the Goodmans, let alone 2006 when he was w/ the Falcons.

Our front office is now completely unproven, there is no question about this. Coming off of last years draft, this one had better be a good one or this was a massive fvkc up.

theAPAOps5
02-12-2009, 07:07 PM
And you are making the ridiculous assumption that Xanders had any say whatsoever on the 2008 draft rather than Shanahan and the Goodmans, let alone 2006 when he was w/ the Falcons.

Our front office is now completely unproven, there is no question about this. Coming off of last years draft, this one had better be a good one of this was a massive fvkc up.

Xanders had zero say in the 2008 draft. He was hired in May.

24champ
02-12-2009, 07:07 PM

He didn't say it.

However TJ is right, we have two young guys that have to report to Bowlen directly. Sounds a lot like the kind of control that Jerry Jones, Al Davis, and Snyder have. Bowlen wanted to seize control back of his team and he did just that.

I also don't like this hiring. Xander hasn't been a great evaluator of talent and mostly knows the business sides of a football team. I feel we are heading back to the Ted Sundquist type GM'ing. Not good.

DBroncos4life
02-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Well some would say it was pretty broke. Others would say it wasn't. Obviously Bowlen fell into the first crowd.

We are all passionate about our Broncos so any and all opinions are valid. I am stepping back and thinking this might work out just fine. Basically Bowlen made a new org chart. He is the CEO and President. Xanders is VP of the Front Office. McDaniels is VP of Operations. Both are autonomous when it comes to the other. They only answer to Bowlen. If one of them begins to let the other down Bowlen makes the decision.

Basically Bowlen whose money is pretty much entirely tied up in the Broncos Football Club is taking the reigns and controlling his own destiny. Its a pivotal time in both the Country and the NFL. With the impending work stoppage and new CBA and the recession he decided its time he takes the wheel and drive. He is a damn fine owner, so to me I don't see this as a bad move.

I don't really care about the move one way or another. Personally I like the way that the Panthers owner and the Steelers owner handles things.

frerottenextelway
02-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Bowlen is modeling himself after Al Davis.

He's a bat**** crazy old man that wants to play GM.

imho

theAPAOps5
02-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Bowlen is modeling himself after Al Davis.

He's a bat**** crazy old man that wants to play GM.

imho

Nope there is zero proof to validate that. Al Davis calls in plays to the sideline. Al davis is involved in the draft. I guarantee you Bowlen won't even be seen in New York for the draft. Great leaders surround themselves with personnel who compliment their weaknesses. Bowlen assumes Xanders and McDaniels are just that. Al Davis is too scared to surround himself with people who compliment his weaknesses. Its why Oakland has failed for so many years.

elsid13
02-12-2009, 07:11 PM

It was reported by Adam Scheffer and it was made reference to in the Denver papers.

theAPAOps5
02-12-2009, 07:12 PM
It was reported by Adam Scheffer and it was made reference to in the Denver papers.

Well he doesn't he is getting old. But I think he was speaking more figuratively then literally.

colonelbeef
02-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Xanders had zero say in the 2008 draft. He was hired in May.

ugh, even worse. I didn't check the dates but was hoping he was at least in the damn room.

theAPAOps5
02-12-2009, 07:18 PM
ugh, even worse. I didn't check the dates but was hoping he was at least in the damn room.

Why McDaniels and Nolan know what players they need. They are going to come up with a wish list. Hand it to Xanders and he is going to go get it. Supposedly he is a good Front Office guy. The coaches always tell the GMs what they need. The GMs just get the guys. Its not like the crux of the football operation lies on Xanders making every choice.

You guys are used to Shanny pulling all the strings. So you assume thats how its going to be still. But its not. This will be more of a team effort a collaboration if you will.

TonyR
02-12-2009, 07:21 PM

Where did I make any such assumption? I never said even remotely any such thing.

Br0nc0Buster
02-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Not a fan of this

We will just have to wait to see how it all plays out, but I hope this isnt Bowlen firing the Gms over a dispute with McDaniels

ugh this smells of desperation

rovolution
02-12-2009, 07:27 PM
On the bright side, if our next drafts are awesome, I'm claiming credit for calling him Professor X.

:rofl:

colonelbeef
02-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Where did I make any such assumption? I never said even remotely any such thing.

It was implied when you questioned whether or not McDaniels had 'unbridled power' within the organization.

As though that makes a huge difference when the other guy running the show is Brian (Green) Xanders.

I should have worded it differently, but really, what is the difference? Xanders, McDaniels, My cousin Billy, they are all unproven.

If they have a bad draft the Broncos are in for a ****storm. There is no buffer now. The only guy to blame now is Bowlen if things don't work out.

TonyR
02-12-2009, 07:31 PM
It was implied when you questioned whether or not McDaniels had 'unbridled power' within the organization.

That's just it, we don't know that he has such power. We really don't know anything. We didn't know Shanny was going to get canned. We thought the Goodmans were going to run the show. By now you should realize we're just guessing and assuming. For all we know Bowlen is going to bring in a head of football operations tomorrow.

Taco John
02-12-2009, 07:36 PM

He voiced this sentiment during his press conference.

TonyR
02-12-2009, 07:36 PM
BRONCOS TO HIRE PERSONNEL GUY?
Posted by Mike Florio on February 12, 2009, 8:47 p.m. EST
We’ve been trying to get more information about the stunning turn of events that resulted in the termination of every Denver Broncos employee named “Goodman,” and the elevation into the G.M. job of the only guy in the company with a last name starting in “X”.

An early theory making the rounds is that new coach Josh McDaniels has quickly acquired significant influence in the organization, and that he lobbied privately for Brian Xanders to become the G.M.

Regardless of how it happened, it’s now clear that McDaniels and Xanders will together lead the team forward.

“In evaluating the work of our football operations department over the past several weeks, it has become clear to me that Brian Xanders is the right person to step into our General Manager’s job,” owner Pat Bowlen said. “I am confident he will work in tandem with head coach Josh McDaniels to re-establish our football team at the level we desire.”

Said McDaniels, “I’m excited for Brian and look forward to working with him hand-in-hand well into the future.”

Also, there’s a school of thought that the Broncos will hire another personnel man to assist with preparations for free agency and the draft. Though Xanders has a “football guy” background, his focus on the traditional scouting aspects might be diluted by a job description that will include oversight of contract negotiations and the video, equipment, grounds, and athletic training staffs.

As one league source observed, the Broncos likely already have someone in mind.
So stay tuned.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/12/broncos-to-hire-personnel-guy/

baja
02-12-2009, 07:44 PM
OK just about everyone has offered their opinion on the firing so I guess I'll toss in my 2 cents worth.

Fourteen years ago Bowlen was infatuated with a young dynamic coach by the name of Mike Shanahan, Bowlen was so impressed he gave all the power to his young coach and was rewarded with two super bowls

After a time he became disenchanted with Shanny

and found a new young stud in Josh McDaniels who over the course of a couple of weeks wowed Bowlen just as Shanny had all those years ago, to the point when Josh said to him he wanted the Goodmans gone and the X man to take over it was done. That's my take on the situation.

Pat has a new hero!

vancejohnson82
02-12-2009, 07:52 PM
OK just about everyone has offered their opinion on the firing so I guess I'll toss in my 2 cents worth.

Fourteen years ago Bowlen was infatuated with a young dynamic coach by the name of Mike Shanahan, Bowlen was so impressed he gave all the power to his young coach and was rewarded with two super bowls

and found a new young stud in Josh McDaniels who over the course of a couple of weeks wowed Bowlen just as Shanny had all those years ago, to the point when Josh said to him he wanted the Goodmans gone and the X man to take over it was done. That's my take on the situation.

Pat has a new hero!

I have teh same view on this...

the question is, "is this a good thing?"

Willynowei
02-12-2009, 07:54 PM
This board will go along with anything. Seriously, firing Shanahan and the Goodmans? I bet there will be a bunch of people here trying to explain **** even if Bowlen decided to can Jay Cutler and Ryan Clady after this season.

Oh Cutler was eratic, Clady wasn't the real cornerstone of that line, it was Harris!

You don't need to know **** about football to know that something is ****ing wrong when a HOF football coach is canned after a 5 minute talk, and the guys you just tagged as "definitely staying" are kicked out the door just before the draft.

There is a stench comming out of dove valley and its called PANIC.

socalorado
02-12-2009, 07:55 PM
I have teh same view on this...

the question is, "is this a good thing?"

Man, your just gonna have to wait and see!
This is one of the many aspects to a new regime being brought in.
Lets just wait and see how the draft/FA goes.

Willynowei
02-12-2009, 07:59 PM

Pat has a new hero!

That young coach already had head coaching experience and had already worked with Bowlen for several years. He also came from a coaching tree that produced plenty of successful, HOF caliber coaches. He was also considered responsible for year after year of league leading offense and had just won the superbowl.

Lets be clear. McDaniel's offense did not win the Patriots any Superbowls. McDaniels comes from a coaching tree thats been anything but successful. McDaniel's offense was #1 for 1 year, whereas Shanny's was number 1 for the better part of a decade.

McDaniels got to work with Randy Moss and Brady for 1 year and who knows if Cassell was an abberration. Shanahan worked with Young and Montana over how many years? He was responsible for the development and improvement of how many HOF offensive players?

Shanahan's Resume was long as hell before he got to be our HC nevermind get the monarchic power he held at the top office.

McDaniels is a gamble. A BIG freakin gamble considering the guy he replaced.

bowtown
02-12-2009, 08:04 PM
McDaniels comes from a coaching tree thats been anything but successful.

Ummm, which tree does thou speaketh of?

Hallside
02-12-2009, 08:07 PM
BRONCOS TO HIRE PERSONNEL GUY?
Posted by Mike Florio on February 12, 2009, 8:47 p.m. EST
We’ve been trying to get more information about the stunning turn of events that resulted in the termination of every Denver Broncos employee named “Goodman,” and the elevation into the G.M. job of the only guy in the company with a last name starting in “X”.

An early theory making the rounds is that new coach Josh McDaniels has quickly acquired significant influence in the organization, and that he lobbied privately for Brian Xanders to become the G.M.

Regardless of how it happened, it’s now clear that McDaniels and Xanders will together lead the team forward.

“In evaluating the work of our football operations department over the past several weeks, it has become clear to me that Brian Xanders is the right person to step into our General Manager’s job,” owner Pat Bowlen said. “I am confident he will work in tandem with head coach Josh McDaniels to re-establish our football team at the level we desire.”

Said McDaniels, “I’m excited for Brian and look forward to working with him hand-in-hand well into the future.”

Also, there’s a school of thought that the Broncos will hire another personnel man to assist with preparations for free agency and the draft. Though Xanders has a “football guy” background, his focus on the traditional scouting aspects might be diluted by a job description that will include oversight of contract negotiations and the video, equipment, grounds, and athletic training staffs.

As one league source observed, the Broncos likely already have someone in mind.
So stay tuned.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/12/broncos-to-hire-personnel-guy/

No doubt, the one Bowlen has in mind is Dan Reeves as a consultant. lol

summerdenver
02-12-2009, 08:22 PM

+1.

I suspect Pat wanted to keep the Goodmans initially but something changed since then.

SlipperyPete
02-12-2009, 08:23 PM
It feels like the Patriots have come in and started calling the shots

Really? Did we hire Pioli and I missed it? To me, the last thing this feels like is "the Patriots have come in", unless they do a great job of hiding the fact that Robert Kraft has lost his mind.

NFLBRONCO
02-12-2009, 08:26 PM
+1.

I suspect Pat wanted to keep the Goodmans initially but something changed since then.

I think that is exactly what happened. Josh wanted his guy and who knows maybe another guy will come in to help with personnel moves.

SlipperyPete
02-12-2009, 08:26 PM

Because if Pioli had any real interest in working with McDaniels, he wouldn't have taken a job in the same division two days after McDaniels was hired here.

summerdenver
02-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Ummm, which tree does thou speaketh of?

I am not trying to put words in Willy's mouth but it seems like he is referring to the fact that none of BB's coaching tree have been a success after leaving NE.

Dos Rios
02-12-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm amazed you guys haven't figured it out.

McDaniels in the manchurian candidate. Belichick knows the one team that has always stood in New England's way, the only team that can stop the Patriots from spreading darkness across the kingdom, is Denver. So he sent his favorite son and ordered him to destroy the Broncos from within.

By midseason, Cutler will be throwing sidearm like Rivers and Clady will be the designated wedgebuster.

It's all so simple. And diabolical.

bowtown
02-12-2009, 08:31 PM
I am not trying to put words in Willy's mouth but it seems like he is referring to the fact that none of BB's coaching tree have been a success after leaving NE.

Ahhh, so he's really speaking more about the little baby limbs out on the end rather than the enormously successful tree trunk and it's even more successful roots. Gotcha.

summerdenver
02-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Because if Pioli had any real interest in working with McDaniels, he wouldn't have taken a job in the same division two days after McDaniels was hired here.

I am not so sure about that. Didn't Adam Schefter report that MacD would have been pioli's choice for HC had he not already been hired by Broncos?

NFLBRONCO
02-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Because if Pioli had any real interest in working with McDaniel, he wouldn't have taken a job in the same division two days after McDaniel was hired here.

Two reasons $$$$$$$$$ and I do think Bowlen wanted Goodmans at first but, I agree with Junkie I think Josh and Goodman's had a difference of opinion plan wise and ties were cut.

cmhargrove
02-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Doesn't Xanders remind you more of a drinking buddy than a GM?

bpc
02-12-2009, 08:37 PM

Actually, word is McDaniel would have been Pioli's first choice to replace Herm in KC when he took over hence why it took him so long to come to a decision right off the bat.

NFLBRONCO
02-12-2009, 08:37 PM

Isn't Xander really Marshall from TV show Alias

bowtown
02-12-2009, 08:43 PM

http://media.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/content/img/photos/2008/03/17/435929980_t220.jpg

"Annd jusht what ezzactly are (hicup) are you implllying?"

randomtask
02-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Not a fan of this move at all. Apparently Bowlen must want to be known as a gutless drunk...

montrose
02-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Amazing how much this organization has turned over in a short amount of time. Not only a new HC and GM, but an entire organizational shift. While I have no clue as to the qualifications of Xanders beyond a few comments and reports that he's well respected in NFL circles, and I'm also am not sure if this was a "McDaniels move" or "Bowlen move", I am happy that we've completely cleaned house so-to-speak. If McDaniels and Nolan determine Jarvis Moss can't play, he's gone. It doesn't matter that he was a 1st rounder in 2007, no one at Dove Valley was responsible for that pick so his @$$ is cut. I like that. I like that every player is going to be evaluated fairly to fit this scheme as the guys who brought them in are no longer here. Considering we're not likely to be big spenders in FA and have plenty of cap room, we can take the dead cap hit to cut our losses with guys who don't fit the profile.

I'm not sure if Xanders has an eye for talent, I don't even know if that matters. Shoot, McDaniels could be the guy picking the players with Xanders mostly responsible for the money which was his calling when he was brought in (Keep in mind, Jim Goodman was brought up as a scout so we have no idea how competent he was in terms of managing the F.O. budget which may be why he promoted his son, an attorney. That doesn't really matter now anyway, just rambling). Or Xanders, with a background as a LB at FSU and coach with the Falcons may have a great eye for talent and be the main guy picking the players. Or the Broncos could bring in a personnel guy to work underneath Xanders. There are a lot of different options here that should shake out in the coming weeks. However, keep in mind that the Broncos new Patriots-style secrecy means we may not get all of the details per the usual. At the end of the day, I'm glad accountability is going to be reinstated a bit at Dove Valley and am very interested to see what our opening day roster looks like.

Wes Mantooth
02-12-2009, 08:54 PM

Yes. The Broncos tie sends him over the top! it says I'm ready to be serious, but still know how to party.

HEAV
02-12-2009, 09:08 PM
He's going to be the X-Factor! ;)

A people say the offseason is dull...

I'll say this, the entire organization has gotten younger fast. As a fan I'm just going to sit back and see how this journey goes.

Lolad
02-12-2009, 09:29 PM
This is a bad move made at the wrong time. There must have been a clash of philosophies. When I watched Mcdaniels interview he claimed the entire teams philosophy on both sides of the ball would be changing. If that change on the offense doesn't give us a top 5 ranking he's all BS. Im calling it now! If the defense improves and the offense regresses it will be all on MC ****ing daniels!

lazarus4444
02-12-2009, 09:44 PM
The responses here on the mane have been quite predictable. Lets wait and see how the draft goes. Maybe we'll draft some REAL defensive talent now.

HEAV
02-12-2009, 10:01 PM
The responses here on the mane have been quite predictable. Lets wait and see how the draft goes. Maybe we'll draft some REAL defensive talent now.

But then what would the drama queens cry about?:rofl:

Man-Goblin
02-12-2009, 10:04 PM
The sky is falling. Please.

The Sundquist move was a Shanahan move. This was obviously a Bowlen move.

If Pat gets a face lift and becomes Jerry Jones overnight, this sucks, big time.

If Pat truly believes this will give us the best football team in the long run, it is his right and as fans we have to hope it works out.

That's all anyone can really say because no one knows what is going to come of this.

Killericon
02-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Personally, I think this is just fallout from the Shanahan firing. With Shanahan around, everyone answered to one guy; the chain of command was clear. After the firing, Xavier and the Goodmans did not have a central authority figure. If there was a diagreement, who would settle it? Bowlen? Personally, I believe this is a step back for Bowlen. I think Bowlen had to put someone clearly in charge, and it's not like the Goodmans were gonna take a demotion.

I would've picked the Goodmans over Xavier, but I'm fine with this.

BroncoInferno
02-12-2009, 10:45 PM

This was a dumb move. You know me, Taco...you know I don't blow smoke up folks' ass. I was OK with getting McDaniels. I felt Shanny was getting stale and understood that move. But getting rid of the Goodmans? I don't get it. The only argument I can see is the poor defensive drafting. OK. I get that. I can dig it. But why now? Why not when Shanny was fired? It makes no sense.

Popps
02-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Seems to me like getting Xanders in there was a plan from the time we brought him in. Nothing to support that, just a theory.

As for losing the Goodmans, we'll see how it goes. I'm certainly not going to cry in my soup about it. We're barely a .500 football team. We've had some high draft picks and have used them to build up the offense. Cutler wasn't exactly a surprise at #11. Marshall was a nice surprise. Royal was a good find.

But, our defense has been garbage and I realize they didn't have a lot of time to fix it, but I don't think there's enough evidence in place to support having a melt-down over losing these guys. It seems a little odd right now, but the organization is being made over. We wont' be able to judge these moves until we see some results.

I remain as excited as I've ever been going into an off-season. We've got a fresh staff, some good core players, an owners with a PROVEN history of decision-making, room under the cap, a high draft pick and a chance to finally put a real defense on the field.

Props to Bowlen for taking charge and trying to turn this thing around.

watermock
02-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Welcome to 6-9

Natedog24
02-12-2009, 10:56 PM
This move seems really weird...

Who knows what really goes on behind the scenes though, Bowlen has been a great owner so if he feels that this move had to be made, I'll trust his judgment yet again...

tsiguy96
02-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Personally, I think this is just fallout from the Shanahan firing. With Shanahan around, everyone answered to one guy; the chain of command was clear. After the firing, Xavier and the Goodmans did not have a central authority figure. If there was a diagreement, who would settle it? Bowlen? Personally, I believe this is a step back for Bowlen. I think Bowlen had to put someone clearly in charge, and it's not like the Goodmans were gonna take a demotion.

I would've picked the Goodmans over Xavier, but I'm fine with this.

youre a moron homer idiot for not disagreeing 100% with the owner of the teams plans. you must disagree now or you are a homer. broncos needed goodman to survive as a franchise, dont you see?

watermock
02-12-2009, 11:10 PM

Time will ell, but I don't agree with going 3-4 either when we were closer than many think.

Our 3 best players, Champ, DJ, and Robertson are all injured. The rest are not suited for the 3-4.

yerner
02-12-2009, 11:22 PM
I'm not against this move. But I think its fair to admit that Bowlen ****ed the process up a bit. This is why you always read that a gm should be hired first so he can pick his coach. Even if it had nothing to do with the Goodmans and McD's relationship. I'll be interested to see if Xanders and McD will continue work well together.

24champ
02-12-2009, 11:37 PM
Ted Sundquist part Deux....is all I have to say.

Killericon
02-12-2009, 11:44 PM
Ted Sundquist part Deux....is all I have to say.

What makes you say this?

lostknight
02-12-2009, 11:54 PM
Wow. So we have gone from a head coach who earned two superbowl rings as a head coach who had token GM's around to a head coach with no superbowl rings who has a token GM around.

Bad dude.

I have always thought that there was a level of sports-karma in Denver. You couldn't have more then one team be a contender in any one calendar year. With the way the Broncos are going, looks like good times for the Rockies and Nuggets.

worm
02-12-2009, 11:59 PM
Just one more step in remaking the Broncos into an image of the Patriots.

The Patriots front office consists of the two Krafts who are more strategic and don't really get involved in day-to-day operations (like Bowlen), a young Director of Player Personnel who was promoted from within (like Xanders) and a senior football adviser (Bowlen will announce his in the next couple of weeks).

Like it or not...we are modeling ourselves between the lines and outside the lines like the Patriots.

You want to know what the draft will be like? Just review past Patriot drafts for a roadmap.

watermock
02-13-2009, 12:28 AM
The clowns that were poopooing the Shanahan firing are now doing the exact same thing.

If he's hoping to be a Jerry Jones or Snyder, good luck with that. All indications are this won't be a blockbuster year for FA's, which is what we need to convert to the 3/4

Both firings timing is very suspect.

Nolan doesn't inspire me at ALL.

All we needed on O was a reliable back or 2.

Our defense is going to be marginally better.

cmhargrove
02-13-2009, 04:24 AM
Just one more step in remaking the Broncos into an image of the Patriots.

The Patriots front office consists of the two Krafts who are more strategic and don't really get involved in day-to-day operations (like Bowlen), a young Director of Player Personnel who was promoted from within (like Xanders) and a senior football adviser (Bowlen will announce his in the next couple of weeks).

Like it or not...we are modeling ourselves between the lines and outside the lines like the Patriots.

You want to know what the draft will be like? Just review past Patriot drafts for a roadmap.

At least they usually draft their front seven correctly on defense. I'm not a huge fan of all their offensive picks, but they always seem to bolster the line (offense and defense).

thumpc
02-13-2009, 04:46 AM
I have a very different take on this (skipped pages 4 thru 8, doubt I missed much). Bowlen said he was impressed with Xanders work over the last few weeks, specifically. Well, Bowlen shook things up in the last few weeks, turned the company upside down, fired some people, made others nervous, then fired some more.
Pat Bowlen did not inherit the Denver Broncos, he aquired the franchise many years ago and has won more games than any other owner since, I think.
Maners want to call him stupid, impulsive, panicky even?
He knew his actions of the last few weeks would provide an important test for his front office. He had to know how Jim Goodman, Jeff Goodman and Brian Xanders would react. Now he knows, movin' on.

bowtown
02-13-2009, 04:58 AM
I have a very different take on this (skipped pages 4 thru 8, doubt I missed much). Bowlen said he was impressed with Xanders work over the last few weeks, specifically. Well, Bowlen shook things up in the last few weeks, turned the company upside down, fired some people, made others nervous, then fired some more.
Pat Bowlen did not inherit the Denver Broncos, he aquired the franchise many years ago and has won more games than any other owner since, I think.
Maners want to call him stupid, impulsive, panicky even?
He knew his actions of the last few weeks would provide an important test for his front office. He had to know how Jim Goodman, Jeff Goodman and Brian Xanders would react. Now he knows, movin' on.

These are the insane rantings of a gutless drunk.

thumpc
02-13-2009, 05:04 AM
And another thing, he is not Jerry Jones. They are similar in that they both want to ****ing win championships, and they're capable business men.
They are different in this way; Pat will hire coaches, gm's or anybody expecting and requiring them to be more knowledgeble and capable in their field of expertise. I'm talking about player personnel now, and Jerry is his own worst enemy in that dept.

Dedhed
02-13-2009, 05:05 AM
This is Dumb!! The Goodman Drafts have been some of our better drafts! DUMB!!

Does that include the selections of Marcus Nash, George Foster, Willie Middlebrooks, Deltha O'niell, Maurice Clarrett, and the numerous other failures since Goodman has been with the Broncos, or are you just pretending that Goodman has been here since 2 years ago?

Broncoman13
02-13-2009, 05:06 AM
Welcome to 6-9

New 15 game season???

When did we dump Sundquist again? And tell me how soon was that before the draft? And again, who did we draft???

Dedhed
02-13-2009, 05:11 AM
Wow. So we have gone from a head coach who earned two superbowl rings as a head coach who had token GM's around to a head coach with no superbowl rings who has a token GM around.

Bad dude.

I have always thought that there was a level of sports-karma in Denver. You couldn't have more then one team be a contender in any one calendar year. With the way the Broncos are going, looks like good times for the Rockies and Nuggets.
Actually our current head coach has 3 Super Bowl Rings. I'm not sure where you come up with the idea that Xanders will be a token GM.

Sports-karma? So does that mean that the Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, for example, couldn't all be good at the.....errr....Nice theory.

bowtown
02-13-2009, 05:13 AM
Does that include the selections of Marcus Nash, George Foster, Willie Middlebrooks, Deltha O'niell, Maurice Clarrett, and the numerous other failures since Goodman has been with the Broncos, or are you just pretending that Goodman has been here since 2 years ago?

Pretty big difference between being a scout and being the head of personnel.

Dedhed
02-13-2009, 05:25 AM
Pretty big difference between being a scout and being the head of personnel.
Yeah the scouts are more responsible for evaluation, and then report to the head. Has to make you wonder about Goodman's ability to evaluate.

bowtown
02-13-2009, 05:27 AM
Yeah the scouts are more responsible for evaluation, and then report to the head. Has to make you wonder about Goodman's ability to evaluate.

Do you have some evidence for me that he was the one that scouted any of the guys you just mentioned?

TheReverend
02-13-2009, 05:28 AM

Shanahan gets fired. Instead of taking any credit, credits the Goodman's with the success of the past three drafts.

+

Bowlen says he won't be hiring a GM because the Goodman's will retain their jobs and function in that capacity.

+

McDaniels credits the good work of the Goodmans in personnel evaluations.

=

Wtf...

Cool Breeze
02-13-2009, 05:39 AM
Wow the timing is a little scary. I was wondering what a little insight from Wabbit might bring. This was posted almost a year ago.

I got a really good look at the Bronco War Room this year, and I have to tell you that the manner in which the staff makes it’s selections round to round does NOT allow a look at a wide range of options, and frankly, that’s not a good thing.

Not long ago…and I mean the 90’s, there was a long fold-out table and several large boards with players individually typed onto tags.

There was a board with priority needs, one updated as the draft progressed, one with the best players available at each position and one with the best players regardless of position.

At a glance you could see where you are with your needs, if he’s still available and how he ranked among the best choices still available.

Today, there’s this dark, stadium-style seating with this huge flat-screen and all this hi-tech bs…nothing can be found at a glance.

Coaches and scouts have to ask about someone to look him up on a computer or something, and there just isn’t time for this any more.

Goodman feeds individual player cards to Shanahan based on earlier discussions of what the team might be looking for at this slot…seemingly disregarding the entirety of what really is available.

To me, the way this is set up now seems much more restrictive and limiting…and frankly, the staff doesn’t really see that ‘big picture’…unless you rely on Mel Kiper telling you the best players available off the big screen.

At that point, you should just log in to the Orangemane and see what SoCal sees as our priorities.

They’d probably do a better job.

I’m sorry…not trying to be a downer, but it’s troubling to me.

Dedhed
02-13-2009, 05:39 AM
Do you have some evidence for me that he was the one that scouted any of the guys you just mentioned?

Well, given that the SEC was under his control, I would guess that Nash and Foster are his responsibility. If you were to ask about the worst draft choices in Denver in recent memory, those two guys would be very near the top of the list.

TonyR
02-13-2009, 05:40 AM
Highly unlikely, but here's a crazy theory. Maybe Shanny has a deal in the works to take over in Dallas or Sandy Eggo or elsewhere this or next year and he's bringing the Goodmans with him. Out of respect for Mr. Bowlen they let him "replace them" since they're leaving anyway. If this happens I'll be hailed as a genius, if not none of you will remember this stupid post...

Dedhed
02-13-2009, 05:44 AM
Shanahan gets fired. Instead of taking any credit, credits the Goodman's with the success of the past three drafts.

+

Bowlen says he won't be hiring a GM because the Goodman's will retain their jobs and function in that capacity.

+

McDaniels credits the good work of the Goodmans in personnel evaluations.

=

Wtf...
The OMs knowledge of what actually goes on in the Denver front office regardless of who is paid lip service
X
the collective OM "WTF"
=
We know nothing about the situation

Using 0 as a multiplier always results in a product of 0

TonyR
02-13-2009, 05:45 AM
Well, given that the SEC was under his control, I would guess that Nash and Foster are his responsibility. If you were to ask about the worst draft choices in Denver in recent memory, those two guys would be very near the top of the list.

Also, to the extent the Goodmans deserve some responsibility, keep in mind that our FA decisions have been horrible overall for the past several years. Not only have we made a lot of mistakes in choosing players but we've added insult to injury by overpaying many of them. Just look at Niko, Colbert and Boss Bailey last year. Bad choices AND overpaid. Manuel and McCree were just bad choices. Yes, Wiegmann worked out well but you can't get them ALL wrong.

TheReverend
02-13-2009, 05:47 AM
The OMs knowledge of what actually goes on in the Denver front office regardless of who is paid lip service
X
the collective OM "WTF"
=
We know nothing about the situation

Using 0 as a multiplier always results in a product of 0

Maybe that's why I didn't use anything of the OMs knowledge and instead went with press conference quotes...

Unless you mean Pat Bowlen is a pathological liar...?

Dedhed
02-13-2009, 05:49 AM
Maybe that's why I didn't use anything of the OMs knowledge and instead went with press conference quotes...

Unless you mean Pat Bowlen is a pathological liar...?

I don't think press conference quotes have anything to do with reality.

TonyR
02-13-2009, 05:51 AM
Wow. So we have gone from a head coach who earned two superbowl rings as a head coach...

Over 10 years ago. Ancient history. What we've "gone from" is a head coach who had 1 playoff win and 1 division title in the last 10 years, and who has missed the playoffs altogether the last 3 years. Will this ever sink in for some of you?

TheReverend
02-13-2009, 05:52 AM
I don't think press conference quotes have anything to do with reality.

Oh, okay. So what does?

DenverBrit
02-13-2009, 06:21 AM
Oh, okay. So what does?

Actions. ;D

TheReverend
02-13-2009, 06:23 AM
Actions. ;D

...and the action of firing these guys a month after the Shanahan firing and balls deep into draft evaluations isn't strange enough!?!?

:rofl:

I repeat:

"WTF"

rugbythug
02-13-2009, 06:29 AM
From the other thread.

Bowlen wanted a true GM. He had 2 assistant GM's. He Picked Xanders. Now he has a true GM and a guy who is disgruntled. He lets the disgruntled Jeff Go. On his way out Jeff goes by his dad's office and grabs him too.

That is why you don't hire family.

Kaylore
02-13-2009, 06:44 AM
From the other thread.

Bowlen wanted a true GM. He had 2 assistant GM's. He Picked Xanders. Now he has a true GM and a guy who is disgruntled. He lets the disgruntled Jeff Go. On his way out Jeff goes by his dad's office and grabs him too.

That's what it comes down to. The error was the son wasn't as good as the dad. It just sucks that we lose Jim and they were both our eyes on the ground at the Senior Bowl and now they're gone. We also are going to have to get a new guy in to manage scouting. I have a strong feeling this draft is going to suck royally.

Garcia Bronco
02-13-2009, 06:45 AM
Everything I am reading says we now have the same setup we had before. A coach that is really incharge of player personnel. McDaniels has the final say and Xander, an MBA, will be in charge of the financials. I knew it would end up this way because this is how Bowlen has always done it.

cmhargrove
02-13-2009, 06:48 AM
From the other thread.

I think you got it right, but you left out the fact that there is still the youngest Goodman (Tyler) acting as a scout in the southeast region. We'll see if he sticks around.

Otherwise, it sounds like Jeff Goodman rode his daddy's coat tails, then tried to push for too much power, too soon (remember, he was our Assistant GM at age 30).

cmhargrove
02-13-2009, 06:52 AM
That's what it comes down to. The error was the son wasn't as good as the dad. It just sucks that we lose Jim and they were both our eyes on the ground at the Senior Bowl and now they're gone. We also are going to have to get a new guy in to manage scouting. I have a strong feeling this draft is going to suck royally.

I think we need to wait and see who our new director of scouting is first before we pull the plug on this draft.

My guess is they promote from within, probably someone that has been around for a while with all our scouts - my guess is Chris Truelove, who already has the title "Coordinator of Pro Scouting." Here is his bio from DenverBroncos.com:

Chris Trulove
Coordinator of Pro Scouting

Trulove Answers Your Questions -- March 18, 2005
Chris Trulove begins his 15th year with the Denver Broncos’ organization in 2008 and his 14th season in the player personnel department. After five years as the team’s pro personnel assistant, he began his role as the pro scout in 2000 and was named coordinator of pro scouting before the start of the 2006 season.

Trulove, 37, has seen his responsibilities increase each season and initially was under the tutelage of former Pro Scouting Director Jack Elway.

He is now responsible for joining Vice President of Football Operations/Player Personnel Jim Goodman as well as Assistant General Managers Jeff Goodman and Brian Xanders in the scouting and planning of unrestricted, restricted and street free-agent acquisitions. His duties include the scouting of players for potential trades, released players from around the NFL, the Canadian Football League and the Arena Football League.

These efforts include extensive game film review, player research, written evaluations, player tryouts and contract negotiations.

Trulove also assists in office report evaluations for the college draft as needed and participates in draft meetings. Trulove began his tenure with the Broncos in 1994 as a player personnel and marketing intern, moving full-time into player personnel after the ‘94 season.

A native of Laurinburg, N.C., Trulove was born April 27, 1971, and is a graduate of Scotland County High School. He acquired a bachelor’s degree in business administration from the University of North Carolina in 1993 and a master’s degree in sport management from the University of Georgia in 1994.

Chris and his wife, Shanda, along with their newborn daughter, Ashlyn, reside in Highlands Ranch, Colo.

Circle Orange
02-13-2009, 06:57 AM
Well, at least we know Shanny didn't do it.

Er, did he?

DenverBrit
02-13-2009, 07:01 AM

I don't think that McDaniels, Nolan, Xanders and the numerous scouts will be worse than Shanny, Slowic/Bates, Goodman & Co at picking defensive players.

oubronco
02-13-2009, 07:07 AM
I don't think that McDaniels, Nolan, Xanders and the numerous scouts will be worse than Shanny, Slowic/Bates, Goodman & Co at picking defensive players.

God I hope they don't even rank in same universe

Garcia Bronco
02-13-2009, 07:14 AM
I love how some of you guys act like the General Management was so terrible that we never even competed on the football field over the last 14 years.

bowtown
02-13-2009, 07:17 AM
I love how some of you guys act like the General Management was so terrible that we never even competed on the football field over the last 14 years.

It's OM revisionist history. In 6 months people will be claiming that Shanahan was never even able to win a Super Bowl.