PDA

View Full Version : Klis: Healthy Hillis would have changed everything

montrose
02-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Healthy Hillis would have changed everything
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

HONOLULU There were injuries to each of the Bailey brothers.

There were injuries to all three starting linebackers.

There were injuries to both receiving tight ends.

There were season-ending injuries to seven tailbacks.

The one injury that hurt the Broncos more than any other in 2008?

"I still think if Peyton stays healthy we make the playoffs," said Broncos center Casey Weigmann.

As in Peyton Hillis, the Broncos' fullback turned tailback who played inspiringly until he tore a hamstring while making a sensational catch against the Kansas City Chiefs in the season's 13th game. It was no coincidence, Wiegmann said, that Chiefs' game was the Broncos final win of the season.

"He just ran so hard," Wiegmann said. "Ran people over. It was just a mentality. He gets everybody else fired up. There's no way Buffalo should have beaten us."

Up 13-0 against the Bills in Game 15, the Broncos did not have the power running game required to secure leads. The Broncos eventually lost to Buffalo, lost the AFC West title, and lost Mike Shanahan.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11653387

USMCBladerunner
02-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Weigman isn't the only one thinking this...it's hard to pin down the butterfly effect of anything, but there is no doubt that the Broncos were onto something with that stretch with Hillis at tailback.

cmhargrove
02-12-2009, 10:05 AM
i think this has been expressed around here a few times and it's spot on.

A healthy Hillis would have gotten us to the playoffs, no doubt.

Unfortunately, it may have cost us the chance at ever being a SB team under Cutler. I know that sounds like a stretch, but Shanny was going to keep Slowik. No rebuild on defense. Spend a few more years under a mediocre defense, then fire Slowik and find another guy like him. Probably more of the same.

We needed fresh blood, and a new atmosphere to shake this organization up. Now we have the chance to start over. It could go wrong for us, but things look more positive than negative right now.

Hillis' injury might just help this organization create a new "dynasty."

cousinal11
02-12-2009, 10:31 AM
We definitely missed him. Definitely hope to see some of him again in 09.

gunns
02-12-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm sorry but the Broncos are more than offense. No, we couldn't secure leads without Peyton, but we also couldn't keep leads with that defense. While I agree we would have had more a chance to win those games we lost, we never belonged in the playoffs with that defense or with no chance of winning the SB. The Chiefs and Chargers are thrilled at just making the playoffs. I rue the day Broncos fans say well at least we made the playoffs. It's all about the SB......and defenses.

TonyR
02-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Good post, gunns. I implore people to go back and watch the second Raiders game where we got blown out with a healthy Hillis on the field. This team had/has much bigger problems that need to be addressed. We didn't belong anywhere near the playoffs.

cmhargrove
02-12-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm not saying we deserved the playoffs, but with Hillis we would have beat Buffalo for sure.

Our leading rusher that game was Eddie Royal with 71 yards.

We had two rushing TD's by ....... Jay Cutler.

Pope, Bell, and Young looked like crap.

Prater kicked three FG's. Hillis would have helped us move the chains on at least one or two of those drives, and we lost by 1 TD.

We didn't deserve the playoffs (especially defensively), but Hillis would have gotten us there.

broncosteven
02-12-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm not saying we deserved the playoffs, but with Hillis we would have beat Buffalo for sure.

Prater kicked three FG's. Hillis would have helped us move the chains on at least one or two of those drives, and we lost by 1 TD.

We didn't deserve the playoffs (especially defensively), but Hillis would have gotten us there.

Pope was playing well before he went down with an injury in the 2nd quarter of the Buff game. I liked him when I saw him play for Duh Bears in the Pre-season. It took TB a good 2 weeks to get back in football shape. I wouldn't be surpriesed if he sticks next year.

broncosteven
02-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Pope was playing well before he went down with an injury in the 2nd quarter of the Buff game. I liked him when I saw him play for Duh Bears in the Pre-season. It took TB a good 2 weeks to get back in football shape. I wouldn't be surpriesed if he sticks next year.

Also I think Pope got injured inside the red zone while we were driving on the 1st or 2nd FG attempt. If he does not go down I think we had a chance of beating Buff. Shanny clearly wanted to run that day to help the D. When Pope went down and TB not in football shape our doom was sealed.

gunns
02-12-2009, 01:13 PM

Do not agree on Buffalo. While the RB's were crap, they weren't total crap.
Pope averaged 7.3 yds per 6 carries, all 3 a total of 110 yds, not counting Royals 71 yds. That's an adequate amount of yardage albeit, bits and pieces. If you watched the game as it went on Buffalo was able to score faster and faster as our D did absolutely nothing.

Liquid Courage
02-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Pope averaged 7.3 yds per 6 carries, all 3 a total of 110 yds, not counting Royals 71 yds. That's an adequate amount of yardage albeit, bits and pieces. If you watched the game as it went on Buffalo was able to score faster and faster as our D did absolutely nothing.

i believe the difference is in the gameplan. jay is better when he can play action or roll out; without threat of a hammer in the backfield we are 1 dimensional. a few surprise runs may look good on average but do little in the course of the game whereas 25-30 runs controls the clock, brings the secondary up and frees BMarsh, Royal and Stokely up do dominate. This is what we saw happen when defenses started seeing the Hillis locomotive come flying downhill and the results showed as wins.

MagicHef
02-12-2009, 01:44 PM

Our offense looked quite good with Pope, he was doing well. Of course, he went on IR after the first drive.

chaz
02-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Having any of our 6 top RB's healthy would have made a huge difference....that seems really really overly obvious to me

Gort
02-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Up 13-0 against the Bills in Game 15, the Broncos did not have the power running game required to secure leads. The Broncos eventually lost to Buffalo, lost the AFC West title, and lost Mike Shanahan

just a little bit of dissent here. this is EXACTLY why Shanny needed to go. in the past several years, his game plan has been to get a quick lead, take the foot off the gas, and hope that your running game can wind down the clock to victory. i hate this strategy. it's the equivalent of Prevent Defense for the offensive side. i like Hillis and i like a good, smash mouth running game as much as the next guy, but it was clear to me and many others that each week, the game plan consisted of the opening drive, the following drive, hope for a defensive turnover, and try to outlast the other team while playing a game of field position.

i want a team like Indy or NE that says from the opening drive that they plan on putting up 35+ points and dare you to keep up with them.

Fusionfrontman
02-16-2009, 07:12 PM
just a little bit of dissent here. this is EXACTLY why Shanny needed to go. in the past several years, his game plan has been to get a quick lead, take the foot off the gas, and hope that your running game can wind down the clock to victory. i hate this strategy. it's the equivalent of Prevent Defense for the offensive side. i like Hillis and i like a good, smash mouth running game as much as the next guy, but it was clear to me and many others that each week, the game plan consisted of the opening drive, the following drive, hope for a defensive turnover, and try to outlast the other team while playing a game of field position.

i want a team like Indy or NE that says from the opening drive that they plan on putting up 35+ points and dare you to keep up with them.

Yeah man I agree with this. I remember in '04 he did this SO much. got a 17-7 lead and the play calling in the second half became run run run punt. run run short pass punt. It was painful watching other teams come back after being down 17 at the half. Play for 60 minutes and score on every drive. You're not preventing injury by half assing, only exaccerbating the likelyhood of it.

Popps
02-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Healthy Hillis would have changed everything
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

HONOLULU There were injuries to each of the Bailey brothers.

There were injuries to all three starting linebackers.

There were injuries to both receiving tight ends.

There were season-ending injuries to seven tailbacks.

The one injury that hurt the Broncos more than any other in 2008?

"I still think if Peyton stays healthy we make the playoffs," said Broncos center Casey Weigmann.

As in Peyton Hillis, the Broncos' fullback turned tailback who played inspiringly until he tore a hamstring while making a sensational catch against the Kansas City Chiefs in the season's 13th game. It was no coincidence, Wiegmann said, that Chiefs' game was the Broncos final win of the season.

"He just ran so hard," Wiegmann said. "Ran people over. It was just a mentality. He gets everybody else fired up. There's no way Buffalo should have beaten us."

Up 13-0 against the Bills in Game 15, the Broncos did not have the power running game required to secure leads. The Broncos eventually lost to Buffalo, lost the AFC West title, and lost Mike Shanahan.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11653387

Popps told all of you dopes this mid-season. That's right, talking about myself in the third person.

Engleberger is gone. Hey... I'm feeling good!

Anyway, yes... we would have made the playoffs with Hillis and he's by far the best every down runner on the roster.

Popps
02-16-2009, 09:40 PM
i believe the difference is in the gameplan. jay is better when he can play action or roll out; without threat of a hammer in the backfield we are 1 dimensional. a few surprise runs may look good on average but do little in the course of the game whereas 25-30 runs controls the clock, brings the secondary up and frees BMarsh, Royal and Stokely up do dominate. This is what we saw happen when defenses started seeing the Hillis locomotive come flying downhill and the results showed as wins.

Exactly correct.

People trying to justify backs like Selvin friggin' Young by posting their YPC average miss the point. While Hillis DID carry for about 5 yards a pop, it was his ability to run on first down, and his ability to run WHEN TEAMS KNEW WE WERE RUNNING that separates him from the other scrubs we threw out there.

We were flat-out a different team with him at RB. Shanahan said it, and now several players have said it. You'll still have dips around here calling for him to be used as a novelty h-back-punter-long-snapper, but he's quite simply our best runner. When we draft someone better, we should start them. Until then, Hillis sets us up to be a winning offense.

fido
02-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Exactly correct.

People trying to justify backs like Selvin friggin' Young by posting their YPC average miss the point. While Hillis DID carry for about 5 yards a pop, it was his ability to run on first down, and his ability to run WHEN TEAMS KNEW WE WERE RUNNING that separates him from the other scrubs we threw out there.

We were flat-out a different team with him at RB. Shanahan said it, and now several players have said it. You'll still have dips around here calling for him to be used as a novelty h-back-punter-long-snapper, but he's quite simply our best runner. When we draft someone better, we should start them. Until then, Hillis sets us up to be a winning offense.

Absolutely. When hillis made that ridiculous catch and tore his hammy, the playoffs were done......i can only imagine what the backfield would look like with hillis and a top notch halfback..would put the fear of god into other team defenses which of course would open the field for cutler and company...but, damn, the broncos defense is just soooooo bad, that might not happen for a couple of years.

Popps
02-17-2009, 03:13 AM
Absolutely. When hillis made that ridiculous catch and tore his hammy, the playoffs were done

Amazing, really. Any number of things could have happened to negate that play.

To me, if that play goes differently... Shanahan is still coaching this team right now, for better or worse.

It's like the onside kick in KC. You just couldn't make this stuff up.

I suppose that's why we'll never quit watching.

ZONA
02-17-2009, 09:01 AM
I think had Hillis been healthy, yeah, we would have beat Buffalo and went to the playoffs. But would it have mattered? With the worst defense in the league and probably the worst special teams, we would have been taken out right away.

As much as I hated to see Shanny go, it was probably best to start fresh and generate some new excitement around here.

New coaches, new management, some new players. Now all we need to do is get rid of the old worn out uni's and get some new ones and we will be on our way.

Tombstone RJ
02-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Hillis got overused, and his hammy paid for it. True, he was the best option at the time of the injury, but he's not an every down RB.

Peoples Champ
02-17-2009, 09:26 AM
I agree, i just hate blaming things on injuries or Refs.

bowtown
02-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Hillis got overused, and his hammy paid for it. True, he was the best option at the time of the injury, but he's not an every down RB.

What then is your definition of an every down back if it's not a 240 lb tank? You think he's too fragile? And I find it a little hard to believe that a guy who didn't even play in the first half of the season could suddenly be overused in 3 games. Hillis got hurt on a random freak accident that could have happened to anyone.

tsiguy96
02-17-2009, 09:31 AM

how does a guy landing on hillis' back and tearing his hammy have ANYTHING to do with the number of carries he had?

wheres your proof hes not an every down back? his production shows differently. look at the jets game and chiefs game (before injury), more times he got the ball the better he looked.

Tombstone RJ
02-17-2009, 09:32 AM
how does a guy landing on hillis' back and tearing his hammy have ANYTHING to do with the number of carries he had?

wheres your proof hes not an every down back? his production shows differently. look at the jets game and chiefs game (before injury), more times he got the ball the better he looked.

JMHO dude. Relax.

ZONA
02-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Tombstone had to be joking. It was such an insane statement that it had to be a joke. If he really thought like that, I would fear he thinks Jay's arm is being over used if he threw more then 10 passes in a game, and that's not including the pre-game warm up tosses either. Hilarious!

Popps
02-17-2009, 02:32 PM

He IS an every down back. He's NOT a wide receiver.

He wasn't hurt running the ball, he was hurt trying to make a leaping catch in traffic... something he shouldn't be doing.

Not jumping on you, just pointing out that if he was overused, it's not carrying the ball that's the problem. HE delivers the punishment when he carries the ball.

I agree partially, though. Those calling him to be some sort of fruity, novelty player are barking up the wrong tree.

B-Love
02-17-2009, 02:38 PM
I'm all for the bruising blue collar running style Peyton exhibited fellas, but if you guys think he'll ever get through a season running that way every down, then I have an island to sell ya.

In addition to the injury against KC, he also walked off woozy a few times, due to his poor mans Earl Campbell imitations.

It did get my blood boiling but he'll never survive a season that way.

Popps
02-17-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm all for the bruising blue collar running style Peyton exhibited fellas, but if you guys think he'll ever get through a season running that way every down, then I have an island to sell ya.

In addition to the injury against KC, he also walked off woozy a few times, due to his poor mans Earl Campbell imitations.

I disagree.

Watch most of his runs. He's more of a pure runner than people are giving him credit for. He got through the holes better than any of our backs. He doesn't dance around and take hits.

He's big enough and has a FB background. Some contact isn't going to phase him.

He's tough to bring down, but he wasn't exactly an Earl Campbell clone. The guy understands cutbacks and downhill running. Watch the Jets game again. That's not some Mike Alstott thing going on there. That's a true RB breaking off 20 yard pops.

I DO think his carries should be kept between 15-20, because he DOES run hard, but there's no evidence to me that he's incapable of being a healthy part of a running tandem.

How is he any different than Lendale White? A little less flab, but IMO, runs just as effectively.

tsiguy96
02-17-2009, 03:12 PM
JMHO dude. Relax.

its not an opinion if its 100% false. a guy landed on his back with his cleat stuck in the ground and made him go straight down. everyone player in the NFL has a torn hammy after that. but apparently youre opinion completely counters actual fact.

B-Love
02-17-2009, 03:14 PM
I guess it's just the "head down ram runs" that I'm worried about. He ain't gonna get away with trying to run through people in the NFL.

He did get woozy in EVERY game he got significant carries in B, the concern is valid.

But with experience maybe he learns to avoid those type of collisions.

And if he delivers on your expectations he could become the new cult favorite of the fans like Eddie Mac was.

Popps
02-17-2009, 03:15 PM
Blove,

Watch this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48HAiaY3vps

(Ignore the crappy music.)

In particular, watch from about .44 seconds in, and particularly the replay at around 1:00 even.

The guy is a pure runner, Brian.

Now, here are two carries from Mike Alstott, whom I think you're confusing him with...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EVfpqbqxOI

Both times, he's running over people and pretty much not looking to do anything else. Alstott was a north/south bruiser. WAY different than Hillis.

Hillis' running style more closely resembles Terrell Davis' than it does Earl Campbell's, imo. (Not in the same class, but purely his running STYLE.)

tsiguy96
02-17-2009, 03:16 PM
I guess it's just the "head down ram runs" that I'm worried about. He ain't gonna get away with trying to run through people in the NFL.

He did get woozy in EVERY game he got significant carries in B, the concern is valid.

But with experience maybe he learns to avoid those type of collisions.

And if he delivers on your expectations he could become the new cult favorite of the fans like Eddie Mac was.

gotta realize he had just gotten moved from FB to RB with only a single game to prepare. imagine an entire offseason with bobby turner.

Popps
02-17-2009, 03:16 PM

True... he did bulldoze a few times and maybe the staff could work on that with him.

You are correct in that aspect. The battering ram thing only lasts for so long, but that's not the best part of his game. The best part is his quickness through the hole... and that he's difficult to bring down.

BroncoBuff
02-17-2009, 03:19 PM
I disagree.

Watch most of his runs. He's more of a pure runner than people are giving him credit for. He got through the holes better than any of our backs. He doesn't dance around and take hits.

He's big enough and has a FB background. Some contact isn't going to phase him.

He's tough to bring down, but he wasn't exactly an Earl Campbell clone. The guy understands cutbacks and downhill running. Watch the Jets game again. That's not some Mike Alstott thing going on there. That's a true RB breaking off 20 yard pops.
Agreed ... I've posted this analysis before, I hope you guys see the same thing: What I notice most about Hillis is his initial vision ... his sight and reaction the instant he gets the ball. I dunno if other backs look the ball into their hands and thus miss a split-second or what, but Peyton Hillis is excellent - almost uniquely excellent - at heading toward the correct hole the instant he gets the rock. Not a "one cut and go" style, that kind of read comes a second after you get the ball. Hillis chooses where to go very very early in the play, and accordingly he NEVER loses yardage, and his bulling forward is always bulling toward daylight - because he identifies the daylight so early.

I think he's a latter-day John Riggins. I might be saying that cause he's white I know, but I see similarities anyway.

Tombstone RJ
02-17-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm rooting for Hillis to be a great threat for the Broncos, but I'm just not yet sold that he is an every down RB. But, I may very well be WRONG.

As for his injury, yah, it was a hammy slammy that few could endure without problems.

AbileneBroncoFan
02-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Hillis would have changed what? I'll grant we would've had a better shot to hold the lead against Buffalo, but we should've been able to do that regardless of who was running the ball. It is freaking Buffalo.

And he would've made a huge difference against SD. They would've only beaten us 45-28 if we had him. Or maybe worse, seeing as how Tatum Bell had the two biggest plays of the game. But, we still would've been going to the playoffs had we beaten Buffalo, which everyone here seems to believe would have certainly happened. Which would lead to...

...how much impact Peyton Hillis would've made against the best Peyton in the NFL. 0. If you thought Phillip "Guffaw" Rivers lit us up, you haven't seen anything yet. I recall Manning having 5 TDs in the playoffs on us...at half...a few years ago. And the D we had that year had a better scheme and better talent, so unless you just thought it would be fun to watch Peyton Manning throw for 650 yards and 8 TDs in a playoff game, you should not bring this subject up.

So the only difference that Hillis' injury made was we got our asses run out of the stadium against SD in the regular season finale instead of at Indy in the first round. As piss poor as that defense played at the end of the year, we could've had Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, and Emmitt Smith in the backfield, and we would not have won. The stat that sums up the 2008 Denver Broncos is what the D did (more like didn't do) against SD with the season on the line: 10 possessions, 7 TDs, 1 FG, 1 punt, 1 end of half (they would've scored here if they'd needed to, don't lie to yourself). Worst defensive performance in a meaningful game I've ever seen in the NFL, bar none. If you want to blame the collapse on someone, don't blame injuries at RB or Jay Cutler throwing an interception in the endzone. Blame the defense that, for all intents and purposes, let the other team score a TD every single time it had the ball.

Cito Pelon
02-17-2009, 05:17 PM

Well, you have to run him til he drops and hope your backups can pick up the slack.

Cito Pelon
02-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Hillis would have changed what? I'll grant we would've had a better shot to hold the lead against Buffalo, but we should've been able to do that regardless of who was running the ball. It is freaking Buffalo.

And he would've made a huge difference against SD. They would've only beaten us 45-28 if we had him. Or maybe worse, seeing as how Tatum Bell had the two biggest plays of the game. But, we still would've been going to the playoffs had we beaten Buffalo, which everyone here seems to believe would have certainly happened. Which would lead to...

...how much impact Peyton Hillis would've made against the best Peyton in the NFL. 0. If you thought Phillip "Guffaw" Rivers lit us up, you haven't seen anything yet. I recall Manning having 5 TDs in the playoffs on us...at half...a few years ago. And the D we had that year had a better scheme and better talent, so unless you just thought it would be fun to watch Peyton Manning throw for 650 yards and 8 TDs in a playoff game, you should not bring this subject up.

So the only difference that Hillis' injury made was we got our asses run out of the stadium against SD in the regular season finale instead of at Indy in the first round. As piss poor as that defense played at the end of the year, we could've had Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, and Emmitt Smith in the backfield, and we would not have won. The stat that sums up the 2008 Denver Broncos is what the D did (more like didn't do) against SD with the season on the line: 10 possessions, 7 TDs, 1 FG, 1 punt, 1 end of half (they would've scored here if they'd needed to, don't lie to yourself). Worst defensive performance in a meaningful game I've ever seen in the NFL, bar none. If you want to blame the collapse on someone, don't blame injuries at RB or Jay Cutler throwing an interception in the endzone. Blame the defense that, for all intents and purposes, let the other team score a TD every single time it had the ball.

Nice rant. I don't have much argument with that.

rastaman
02-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Exactly correct.

Another fact about Hillis is where he was drafted. He was drafted in the 7th round! Its kinda of similar to TD getting drafting in the 6th round in terms of impact both players had with making their teams running attack so much better.

JJJ
02-17-2009, 10:01 PM

As a Bolt fan I have serious respect for this dude. I think he is a major weapon when coupled with your field stretching WRs. Tough combo to defend. As a fan from an opposing team I must say I was very relieved he was on the sidelines during that last game of the season.

But on that play he clearly hurt himself with that running style. He is an injury waiting to happen with that style which can't and won't be coached out of him. Fantastic and dangerous when he is healthy but I would not expect that to be very often running like that consistently in this league.

Popps
02-17-2009, 10:08 PM
As
But on that play he clearly hurt himself with that running style. He is an injury waiting to happen with that style which can't and won't be coached out of him. Fantastic and dangerous when he is healthy but I would not expect that to be very often running like that consistently in this league.

Again, Lendale White has done it without any problems, and Hillis is more of a pure runner, in my opinion.

You're confusing him with something he's not. Again, watch the highlight compilation posted above. He's not looking to run over people every play. He's
making cuts, hitting the hole and breaking off 5-10-20 yard runs. This isn't Mike Alstott.

He's tough to bring down, but he's not some hammer-head plodder.

Hillis needs a complimentary back (like White/Johnson) and he'll be extremely effective.

tsiguy96
02-17-2009, 10:32 PM
As a Bolt fan I have serious respect for this dude. I think he is a major weapon when coupled with your field stretching WRs. Tough combo to defend. As a fan from an opposing team I must say I was very relieved he was on the sidelines during that last game of the season.

yea youre right, tough runners never make it in this league.