PDA

View Full Version : Keith Brookings for MLB??

SoDak Bronco
02-12-2009, 08:48 AM
If this guy is released do you think he can play in the 3-4? I think it is worth a look..Thoughts??

Falcons To Release Brooking?
From Dan Parr of ProFootballWeekly.com:

We hear Falcons WLB Keith Brooking is likely to be released before Feb. 23, when sources say he’s due a $1 million bonus. The Falcons’ offseason plans include revamping their defense — they are looking to add speed and fresh legs to a unit that ranked 24th last season. The 33-year-old has slowed down considerably in recent years, and it appears the club is ready to replace him after 11 seasons. Brooking has a large cap figure of $8.3 million for the 2009 season and while releasing Brooking, who went to Georgia Tech before spending his entire career with the Falcons, would be an unpopular move with the team’s fan base, GM Thomas Dimitroff won’t bring him back unless a significant pay cut is involved. We hear Brooking still thinks he can play and will explore options with other teams if he’s let go.

Smiling Assassin27
02-12-2009, 08:49 AM
The 33-year-old has slowed down considerably in recent years,

This is all that is relevant. Pass.

Traveler
02-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Hell No! Falcon fans can't wait till he's gone. He's on the the wrong side a mediocre career.

TonyR
02-12-2009, 09:11 AM
This is all that is relevant. Pass.

You may be right but you also may be VERY wrong. The Pats defense somehow thrived with slow, old players at the LB position (Seau, Bruschi, Vrabel). So don't completly rule players like Brooking out. We're not going to have kids at every position.

Kaylore
02-12-2009, 09:12 AM
Brooking has been terrible in recent years. Falcons fans think he's the worst linebacker on the field. We don't need him here.

Drek
02-12-2009, 09:18 AM
He's lost more than a few steps and has been a career 4-3 MLB. I don't see any benefit even as a backup. Our new Asst. LB coach could probably contribute more on the field than Brooking could in the 3-4.

TonyR
02-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Brooking has been terrible in recent years.

Yeah, I'm not advocating Brooking specifically but more pointing out that we can't automatically rule out vets who are on the wrong side of the career hill. You're not going to totally rebuild a defense successfully with young guys and top flight FA's. So some Brooking type players here and there are possible. Seau, among others, was certainly considered "washed up" before the Pats effectively plugged him in.

Smiling Assassin27
02-12-2009, 09:25 AM
You may be right but you also may be VERY wrong. The Pats defense somehow thrived with slow, old players at the LB position (Seau, Bruschi, Vrabel). So don't completly rule players like Brooking out. We're not going to have kids at every position.

Point taken. I was speaking specifically about Brooking. Of course there are viable vets that will be available that any team would be foolish to ignore. Brooking had a few really nice years but, like Kaylore, I really watched him decline last year.

Kaylore
02-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Yeah, I'm not advocating Brooking specifically but more pointing out that we can't automatically rule out vets who are on the wrong side of the career hill. You're not going to totally rebuild a defense successfully with young guys and top flight FA's. So some Brooking type players here and there are possible. Seau, among others, was certainly considered "washed up" before the Pats effectively plugged him in.

I don't think anyone is against the general concept of bringing in an aged vet to help out. I think most people here are suggesting Brooking himself is done and not worth it here.

vancejohnson82
02-12-2009, 09:44 AM
any time a team is willing to eat money to get rid of someone....stay away

Kaylore
02-12-2009, 10:28 AM
I will say if he came in for the vet minimum I wouldn't mind at all.

TheReverend
02-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Even if he were at the top of his game...

We already have plenty of talented YOUNG OLB prospects we're HOPING will pan out on the inside of a 3-4 when the time comes. Why the **** would we want to grab an older version and hope?

Draft Rey.

Kaylore
02-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Draft Rey.

That kind of surprises me coming from you. Rey is exactly what we don't need: A super athlete that can't think for himself.

TheReverend
02-12-2009, 11:14 AM
That kind of surprises me coming from you. Rey is exactly what we don't need: A super athlete that can't think for himself.

I think the circumstances of his "limitations" are greatly exaggerrated on the board. Just my opinion. Also keep in mind I'm a huge USC hater and rarely miss the opportunity to knock anyone of their players or staff aside from pete carroll.

Kaylore
02-12-2009, 11:21 AM
I think the circumstances of his "limitations" are greatly exaggerrated on the board. Just my opinion. Also keep in mind I'm a huge USC hater and rarely miss the opportunity to knock anyone of their players or staff aside from pete carroll.

I hate USC too and I'd feel much more comfortable with Mathews or Cushing before Ray.

TheReverend
02-12-2009, 11:27 AM
I hate USC too and I'd feel much more comfortable with Mathews or Cushing before Ray.

I'm not particularly fond of either.

Los Broncos
02-12-2009, 11:29 AM
No, stick with the young movement.

Great13
02-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Hell No! Falcon fans can't wait till he's gone. He's on the the wrong side a mediocre career.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

eddie mac
02-12-2009, 12:43 PM
If you're gonna suggest a LB that's the wrong side of 30 why not a guy who's played in a 3-4 system for 1/2 his career like Zach Thomas???

SoDak Bronco
02-12-2009, 01:13 PM
I didn't say to sign him, I said it is worth a look. geez

DENVERDUI55
10-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Funny he is our starting MLB now 3 years later.

broncocalijohn
10-19-2012, 08:42 PM
If this guy is released do you think he can play in the 3-4? I think it is worth a look..Thoughts??

Falcons To Release Brooking?
From Dan Parr of ProFootballWeekly.com:

We hear Falcons WLB Keith Brooking is likely to be released before Feb. 23, when sources say he’s due a $1 million bonus. The Falcons’ offseason plans include revamping their defense — they are looking to add speed and fresh legs to a unit that ranked 24th last season. The 33-year-old has slowed down considerably in recent years, and it appears the club is ready to replace him after 11 seasons. Brooking...........

Funny that he is now taking time away from your state's hero, Joe Mays.

Jetland
10-19-2012, 08:43 PM

more of this please

BRILLIANT!!!

TheReverend
10-19-2012, 08:45 PM
more of this please

BRILLIANT!!!

Ugh. That's pretty brutal Ha!

DENVERDUI55
10-20-2012, 08:45 AM

Oops on all 3 accounts. Rey's limitations well they were true. I don't think anyone thought Matthews would be the best of the bunch.

Kaylore
10-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Ugh. That's pretty brutal Ha!

Who's your daddy?

TheReverend
10-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Oops on all 3 accounts. Rey's limitations well they were true. I don't think anyone thought Matthews would be the best of the bunch.

What? Rey's been a 3 down linebacker and helped turned Cinci from a joke to one of the best D's in the league.

He HAS been playing poorly (on the whole) so far this season, but I think he's hurt. Seems like too big of a shift to be healthy.

Who's your daddy?

I literally cringed re-reading it.

IN MY DEFENSE:

- It's well documented I didn't like Cushing due to steroids (which he has since been suspended for)
- Matthews only managed 4.5 sacks playing elephant his ONE year starting at USC. Anyone who thinks they knew what he was going to become is lying.

Kaylore
10-20-2012, 10:23 AM
I literally cringed re-reading it.

IN MY DEFENSE:

- It's well documented I didn't like Cushing due to steroids (which he has since been suspended for)
- Matthews only managed 4.5 sacks playing elephant his ONE year starting at USC. Anyone who thinks they knew what he was going to become is lying.

LOL
Yeah because Cushing and Mathews being taken by two good GM's in the first round was completely dumb luck. What were they thinking?

You'll eat your crow, and you'll like it. :kiss:

TheReverend
10-20-2012, 10:59 AM
LOL
Yeah because Cushing and Mathews being taken by two good GM's in the first round was completely dumb luck. What were they thinking?

Well the steroids thing is pretty perfectly on my side.

I could blame Clay on it being pre-combine and his lackluster collegiate career, but the truth is I felt the same about him in April as I did in this thread, so I'll just take the deserved criticism :)

You'll eat your crow, and you'll like it. :kiss:

Oh I am. But aside from the fun in laughing at myself, I don't like it. :(