PDA

View Full Version : Kiper Still expressing his hate for Jay

rovolution
02-11-2009, 06:11 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/02/kiper_likes_cas.html

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper is holding a conference call today and the Patriots came up a few times.

Kiper was asked to put himself in the position of the Lions (picks 1, 20, and 33) and Chiefs (picks 3 and 34), assuming they were considering taking quarterbacks Matthew Stafford and Mark Sanchez in the draft.

Given that, would he take Stafford or Sanchez, or would he rather have Matt Cassel in a trade?

"If I were Detroit or Kansas City, I would make that move in a heartbeat. If youre asking me if I would rather have Matt Cassel or Matthew Stafford or Mark Sanchez, Id rather have Matt Cassel," Kiper answered.

Kiper doubted that Cassel would be available, however, saying he's an insurance policy for Tom Brady.

He looked like he should have been the No. 1 overall pick in the draft. Its amazing. To watch him play this year, if he would have been the No. 1 pick in the draft, people would have been very happy with the way hes playing right now, Kiper said.

He came out the same year the other three quarterbacks did [Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Jason Campbell] and right now hes better than those other three and Im including [Jay] Cutler in that. I would rather have Cassel than Cutler. So, to me, I think Cassel is more than worthy of being a guy that the Kansas City Chiefs or Detroit Lions go after. Hes played to the level of a No. 1 pick overall this year.

At one point, Kiper was asked if he sees good value where the Patriots are picking in the first round (23rd selection) when it comes to defensive backs and linebackers.

Yeah, I think linebacker could be a very good position the Clay Matthews, the Brian Cushings, Larry English, those type of players would probably be there for New England at that point, Kiper answered.

In the secondary, the same thing. There are going to be some guys possibly there at the cornerback spot. Maybe a safety like William Moore [of Missouri]. But more likely a corner will still be there at that point. That could be a D.J. Moore at Vanderbilt, a Sean Smith at Utah a player like that could still be there.

I would say, linebacker, it could fall pretty well for New England. The player I had them taking in the projection I made was Brian Cushing of USC.

Kiper said that Cushing is versatile and could play a lot of different roles in a defense.

This guys hate for Cutler is just too much. Its hilarious hows hes still bitter over Mayock being right on the Big 3 of the 2006 class.

tsiguy96
02-11-2009, 06:16 PM
there are several bronco "fans" who feel the same way. many on this board and on bmania.

Gcver2ver3
02-11-2009, 06:18 PM
and Im including [Jay] Cutler in that. I would rather have Cassel than Cutler

hmmmm....you mean the Jay Cutler that broke Denver Broncos passing records?...yeah the one that was in the Pro Bowl this year...him?...oh ok...

elsid13
02-11-2009, 06:18 PM
there are several bronco "fans" who feel the same way. many on this board and on bmania.

More ****ing idiots. If Kiper was so ****ing good, why hasn't a NFL team every hired him???

MileHighMagic
02-11-2009, 06:27 PM
The funny thing is, if we didn't have such a horse shyt defense, no one would speak badly about Jay.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-11-2009, 06:31 PM
The funny thing is, if we didn't have such a horse shyt defense, no one would speak badly about Jay.

Very true

SonOfLe-loLang
02-11-2009, 06:32 PM
People always pin wins and losses on QBs, but its hard for any QB to be asked to score 14 pts on every drive

chaz
02-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Unless his name is Peyton I'm not picking anyone over Jay. (Not sure if Brady will be the same)

Dukes
02-11-2009, 07:01 PM
He can't even hold Mayock's jock. Kiper is and always has been a joke.

broncofan7
02-11-2009, 07:03 PM

Who has ever written that Matt Cassel is better than Jay Cutler?????

tsiguy96
02-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Who has ever written that Matt Cassel is better than Jay Cutler?????

every idiot here that blames everything on cutler.

MechanicalBull
02-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Forget about the moronic statement by Kiper for now. By just taking him at his word then doesn't that mean he would take him over Young and Leinart?

Jason in LA
02-11-2009, 08:42 PM
He's got to stop with this hatred on Cuter and just admit that he was wrong. Why did he even bring Cutler up, who wasn't in that draft? It doesn't make any sense. He would probably still say that Lienert and Young will have better careers.

spdirty
02-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Just glad Mayock is out there for my draft info.

BroncoBuff
02-11-2009, 08:51 PM
He can't even hold Mayock's jock. Kiper is and always has been a joke.

Word.

theAPAOps5
02-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Kiper is quickly becoming a joke in media. He releases his first mock before the Senior bowl. Meanwhile Mayock is AT the Senior Bowl too busy doing his homework to even try to do a mock draft. Mayock wipes his ass with Kiper on a daily basis.

broncosteven
02-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Cutler = next Matt Cassel except without all the sacks.

HEAV
02-11-2009, 09:05 PM
During a conference call today, ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper said he believes quarterback Matt Stafford will go to the Detroit Lions with the No. 1 pick because "that's what Detroit needs.'' Kiper, though, also said that Stafford -- and Mark Sanchez -- are not "super elite prospects'' and they both come with risks.

Kiper said that Stafford has a better arm than Sanchez, but that Sanchez is more instinctive. "Sanchez doesn't have Stafford's arm but he throws more accurately on the move,'' Kiper said. "They both have qualities you like and some thing that bother you a little bit.

"Somebody's going to roll the dice on these quarterbacks. Both of these kids are worthy of being the No. 1 pick.''

In trying to compare Stafford and Sanchez to last year's Rookie of the Year, Matt Ryan, Kiper said there is some revisionist history going on now: "Nobody thought he was a certain franchise quarterback. A week before the draft, I said that he could go at No. 8 because there was a chance Atlanta wouldn't take him. Miami didn't take Ryan -- they took (left tackle) Jake Long (with the first pick) and then took Chad Henne. They didn't take Ryan and they had a need at quarterback.''

Kiper said that Ryan and Joe Flacco, who went to the Ravens in the first round, both came out after their senior years while Stafford and Sanchez are leaving college early.

"They both came out as underclassmen and that's dangerous,'' he said. "Everybody knows the more experience you get in college, the better you are.

"But to say the Lions are in bad spot here, it's not necessarily the case. They're not super elite prospects ... but they're both worthy of being early first-round picks.''

Kiper compared Stafford to Denver's Jay Cutler, another former first-round pick.

"Stafford's in the Cutler mode, he's inconsistent like Cutler. The inconsistency sometimes doesn't leave you -- it hasn't left Cutler,'' Kiper said. "You're raving about him one week and criticizing him the next week. Cutler still has those disappointing games. That's something that Stafford has to prove otherwise.''

One other thing -- Kiper was asked whether teams like Detroit and Kansas City (which picks third) would be better off in acquiring Matt Cassel (who the Patriots put the franchise tag on).

"If I was Detroit or Kansas City, I would make that move in a heartbeat -- but he's not available,'' Kiper said. "If you're asking if I would rather have Cassel than Stafford or Sanchez, I'd rather have Cassel.''

----------------

Mel does have a point. But still you can see the positives in Jay and I have faith in Coach McDaniels turning Jay into a more consistant and mature quarterback.

HEAV
02-11-2009, 09:18 PM
http://smittblog.blogspot.com/2007/04/what-if-people-actually-listened-to-mel.html

Interesting. Mel had Jay going at 11 to the Rams.

BroncoBuff
02-11-2009, 09:32 PM
http://smittblog.blogspot.com/2007/04/what-if-people-actually-listened-to-mel.html

Interesting. Mel had Jay going at 11 to the Rams.

And he also had Edward Reed (CB) going to us in the first round, 2002.

BroncoBuff
02-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Edward Reed (CB) going to us in the first round, 2002.

http://z.about.com/d/tvcomedies/1/0/Y/0/-/-/stewie_evil.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . And it begins ...

broncosteven
02-11-2009, 09:36 PM

Face it Reed is overrated. I am sure MickyD will bring Leslie back.

BroncoBuff
02-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Ashley might even succeed in the spread offense

Arkansas Bronco
02-11-2009, 09:40 PM
My foot has fell asleep. Nothing special but so has all this.

bombay
02-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Kiper's hair whiplashed his brain.

HEAV
02-11-2009, 09:51 PM

You sir are EVIL!

Kaylore
02-11-2009, 10:03 PM
We could have drafted Ed Reed? Who did we take instead?

McDman
02-11-2009, 10:25 PM

I'm not saying I agree with Kiper, but by your post it makes it seem like if someone agrees with him they're not real fans. Just because someone doesn't like Cutler doesn't make them any less of a fan.

Paladin
02-11-2009, 10:33 PM
I don't even watch Kiper during the draft. I watch the NFL channel. I flat can't abide the guy, just like Kornheiser. I have them on mute all the time and I just watch the game. Both those guys are just blabbermouths.....

footstepsfrom#27
02-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Who cares what Kiper thinks?

MechanicalBull
02-12-2009, 05:03 AM
We could have drafted Ed Reed? Who did we take instead?

Doesn't matter if we drafted Lelie or God himself, because when God turned out to be a bust due to him saying he can't play on Sundays everyone would've said we could have drafted ED REED. :D

Circle Orange
02-12-2009, 08:04 AM
What's Kiper's fixation with Cassell? He's the flavor of the month. Anyone remember SCOTT MITCHELL?!

Beantown Bronco
02-12-2009, 08:14 AM
Kiper is the same guy who predicted during Rob Johnson's senior year that he could go in the top 2 picks of the first round of the 1995 draft.......and he ended up going in round four.

TonyR
02-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Kiper compared Stafford to Denver's Jay Cutler, another former first-round pick.

"Stafford's in the Cutler mode, he's inconsistent like Cutler. The inconsistency sometimes doesn't leave you -- it hasn't left Cutler,'' Kiper said. "You're raving about him one week and criticizing him the next week. Cutler still has those disappointing games. That's something that Stafford has to prove otherwise.''

Hard to argue with that, unfortunately.

Br0nc0Buster
02-12-2009, 08:18 AM
Kiper is irrelevant

Mayock is much better, hell he is having to fight off McShay to remain the top draft "expert" on ESPN

But ESPN also considers Emmitt Smith and Keyshawn Johnson "experts" so their opinion doesnt mean much

HILife
02-12-2009, 08:29 AM
During a conference call today, ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper said he believes quarterback Matt Stafford will go to the Detroit Lions with the No. 1 pick because "that's what Detroit needs.'' Kiper, though, also said that Stafford -- and Mark Sanchez -- are not "super elite prospects'' and they both come with risks.

Kiper said that Stafford has a better arm than Sanchez, but that Sanchez is more instinctive. "Sanchez doesn't have Stafford's arm but he throws more accurately on the move,'' Kiper said. "They both have qualities you like and some thing that bother you a little bit.

"Somebody's going to roll the dice on these quarterbacks. Both of these kids are worthy of being the No. 1 pick.''

In trying to compare Stafford and Sanchez to last year's Rookie of the Year, Matt Ryan, Kiper said there is some revisionist history going on now: "Nobody thought he was a certain franchise quarterback. A week before the draft, I said that he could go at No. 8 because there was a chance Atlanta wouldn't take him. Miami didn't take Ryan -- they took (left tackle) Jake Long (with the first pick) and then took Chad Henne. They didn't take Ryan and they had a need at quarterback.''

Kiper said that Ryan and Joe Flacco, who went to the Ravens in the first round, both came out after their senior years while Stafford and Sanchez are leaving college early.

"They both came out as underclassmen and that's dangerous,'' he said. "Everybody knows the more experience you get in college, the better you are.

"But to say the Lions are in bad spot here, it's not necessarily the case. They're not super elite prospects ... but they're both worthy of being early first-round picks.''

One other thing -- Kiper was asked whether teams like Detroit and Kansas City (which picks third) would be better off in acquiring Matt Cassel (who the Patriots put the franchise tag on).

"If I was Detroit or Kansas City, I would make that move in a heartbeat -- but he's not available,'' Kiper said. "If you're asking if I would rather have Cassel than Stafford or Sanchez, I'd rather have Cassel.''

----------------

Mel does have a point. But still you can see the positives in Jay and I have faith in Coach McDaniels turning Jay into a more consistant and mature quarterback.

What is he talking about?!?! Culter is VERY consistant. He averages ATLEAST one INT a game. I don't know any other QB that does that. Come on Kiper stop s**ting on Cutler.

P.S. for all you people out there that get offended... I was j/k.

SoDak Bronco
02-12-2009, 09:30 AM
He's just pissed he had him projected as the 3rd QB and Mayock had Cutler rated #1 that year.

Hogan11
02-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Kiper? That draft day hack? You mean I'm supposed to take him seriously? ???

snowspot66
02-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Hard to argue with that, unfortunately.

I'll argue with it. The Broncos have been inconsistent. He's assigning all their troubles to Cutler when that is clearly not the case.

socalorado
02-12-2009, 09:49 AM
I don't even watch Kiper during the draft. I watch the NFL channel. I flat can't abide the guy, just like Kornheiser. I have them on mute all the time and I just watch the game. Both those guys are just blabbermouths.....

WINNER! Get the NFL Network my friends!

I do ocasionally turn over the E!SPiN and last time i did it Keyshawn and Micheal Irvin who are two morons in their own right, were just clowning that no talent @$$clown Kiper. Just absolutely clowning everything he said. Everyone there gave him no respect and basically treated him how he should be treated, like the hack that he is.
Kiper= Clown

Meanwhile Mayock nailed almost every single pick of the 1st round before they were picked.

socalorado
02-12-2009, 09:51 AM
He's just pissed he had him projected as the 3rd QB and Mayock had Cutler rated #1 that year.

Mayock
Hodge
Jaws

The list goes on and on of analysts who had Cutler ranked #1.

Northman
02-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Lets see,

Denver had their usual dominant running attack......emmm no, thats not it.

Denver had a top ten defense this year...........emmm no, thats not it either.

Jay had the luxury of learning from a solid veteran QB for a couple of years.........emmmm no, that wont work either.

I guess Kiper's right, Jay had so much more to work with than what poor Matt had to work with. Kiper is my god.

Broncos_OTM
02-12-2009, 10:01 AM
More ****ing idiots. If Kiper was so ****ing good, why hasn't a NFL team every hired him???
To be honest he makes more on ESPN i would imagine. with more earning potential then if he was some scout that noone ever hears from on some NFL club. Pretty smart if you ask me. same thing with the other guy mayock.

socalorado
02-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Before the 2001 NFL season, Kiper predicted the New England Patriots to go 0-16 and have the 1st pick in the 2002 NFL Draft. Instead, the Patriots went 11-5 and went on to win Super Bowl XXXVI against the St. Louis Rams.
Kiper = Idiot

vancejohnson82
02-12-2009, 10:16 AM
what a jackass...

how can you even mention Jay's name with Alex Smith...

as a matter of fact how can you mention Alex Smith with Rodgers or Campbell too????

Kiper is a moron and his legitimacy is becoming stale at best

Atlas
02-12-2009, 02:18 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/02/kiper_likes_cas.html

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper is holding a conference call today and the Patriots came up a few times.

Kiper was asked to put himself in the position of the Lions (picks 1, 20, and 33) and Chiefs (picks 3 and 34), assuming they were considering taking quarterbacks Matthew Stafford and Mark Sanchez in the draft.

Given that, would he take Stafford or Sanchez, or would he rather have Matt Cassel in a trade?

"If I were Detroit or Kansas City, I would make that move in a heartbeat. If youre asking me if I would rather have Matt Cassel or Matthew Stafford or Mark Sanchez, Id rather have Matt Cassel," Kiper answered.

Kiper doubted that Cassel would be available, however, saying he's an insurance policy for Tom Brady.

He looked like he should have been the No. 1 overall pick in the draft. Its amazing. To watch him play this year, if he would have been the No. 1 pick in the draft, people would have been very happy with the way hes playing right now, Kiper said.

He came out the same year the other three quarterbacks did [Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers, Jason Campbell] and right now hes better than those other three and Im including [Jay] Cutler in that. I would rather have Cassel than Cutler. So, to me, I think Cassel is more than worthy of being a guy that the Kansas City Chiefs or Detroit Lions go after. Hes played to the level of a No. 1 pick overall this year.

At one point, Kiper was asked if he sees good value where the Patriots are picking in the first round (23rd selection) when it comes to defensive backs and linebackers.

Yeah, I think linebacker could be a very good position the Clay Matthews, the Brian Cushings, Larry English, those type of players would probably be there for New England at that point, Kiper answered.

In the secondary, the same thing. There are going to be some guys possibly there at the cornerback spot. Maybe a safety like William Moore [of Missouri]. But more likely a corner will still be there at that point. That could be a D.J. Moore at Vanderbilt, a Sean Smith at Utah a player like that could still be there.

I would say, linebacker, it could fall pretty well for New England. The player I had them taking in the projection I made was Brian Cushing of USC.

Kiper said that Cushing is versatile and could play a lot of different roles in a defense.

This guys hate for Cutler is just too much. Its hilarious hows hes still bitter over Mayock being right on the Big 3 of the 2006 class.

How is that hating on Cutler? He didn't even mention Leinart or Young. I bet 25 GMs in the league would rather have Castle over Cutler at this point. Look at what they did last year and tell me who is better.

broncosteven
02-12-2009, 02:23 PM
How is that hating on Cutler? He didn't even mention Leinart or Young. I bet 25 GMs in the league would rather have Castle over Cutler at this point. Look at what they did last year and tell me who is better.

Didn't Cutler set a franchise record for passing yards this year? I would say he accomplished something but has a way to go.

Cutler is also entering his 4th season and going through his 3rd OC change. At this point he needs some consistency at the OC before he can get to next level.

TonyR
02-12-2009, 02:32 PM
I'll argue with it. The Broncos have been inconsistent. He's assigning all their troubles to Cutler when that is clearly not the case.

Maybe. But what he said here is that Cutler is inconsistent. Do you disagree with that?

FantomForce
02-12-2009, 02:38 PM
DEEEZAMN! Did you guys catch Kiper getting riled up by Todd McShay today? He almost blew a fuse! I'm serious I expected his hair to all of a sudden to flare up. He and McShay were trying to analyze the QBs coming into the draft with things like who's got the stronger arm, who's toughest.....etc.. Kiper's pnly answer was Stafford, Stafford, Stafford. McShay at least did some research on other players and made some points, and it pissed Kiper off, he is a major douche!

elsid13
02-12-2009, 02:43 PM
To be honest he makes more on ESPN i would imagine. with more earning potential then if he was some scout that noone ever hears from on some NFL club. Pretty smart if you ask me. same thing with the other guy mayock.

It not about money. It easier for Kiper to seat on sideline and criticize everyone. At no point is Kiper held accountable for making a decision.

socalorado
02-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Just go here to see just how much of a D!CK kiper is.

http://www.dickipedia.org/dick.php?title=Mel_Kiper%2C_Jr.

Mel Kiper, Jr. (born July 25, 1960) is an ESPN analyst for the NFL draft, huge football nerd, and a dick. Since 1984, he has been a staple of ESPN's annual draft coverage, which begins in May and extends through the following April.
While ESPN has a storied history of launching the careers of irritating commentators, Kiper is surely in the upper echelon. His achievements include appearing at 24 consecutive drafts and somehow interrupting every single ESPN show ever to air. He is the most recognizable dick in conjunction with the NFL draft.
It is important to note that, in regards to football, Kiper does not have actual coaching or playing experience, and has been able to designate himself an expert simply by saying so, loudly, many times, without anyone questioning it. This is standard dick behavior.

Coach favorite

Many coaches and administrators enjoy hearing suggestions from Kiper. One big fan was Indianapolis Colts manager Bill Tobin who praised Kiper saying, "Who in the hell is Mel Kiper, anyway? I mean, here's a guy who criticizes everybody, whoever they take. In my knowledge of him, he's never even put on a jockstrap, he's never been a player, he's never been a coach, he's never been a scout, he's never been an administrator, and all of a sudden, he's an expert. Mel Kiper has no more credentials to do what he's doing than my neighbor, and my neighbor's a postman and he doesn't even have season tickets to the NFL."
[edit (http://www.dickipedia.org/dick.php?title=Mel_Kiper%2C_Jr.&action=edit&section=4)]
Proof of genius

Though a dick, Mel Kiper is an infallible genius when it comes to scouting future NFL talent.

He once snidely remarked of the Colts, "That's why [they] keep picking number two every year," after their 1994 second overall selection. Kiper was widely critical of the Colts’ pick that year, Marshall Faulk, who turned out to be such a bust that he is expected to be inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame in the near future.
In 2005, Kiper praised 8th overall selection, wide receiver Mike Williams, saying, "I'll see you at his Hall of Fame induction." Many people have yet to fully recognize the abilities Kiper saw in Williams. These people include coaches, fans, analysts, referees, the players on the teams he played for and against, and anyone else who has seen him in a football jersey. Williams’ journey to the Hall of Fame suffered a slight detour in 2007 when he stopped playing football and no one wanted to sign him.
In 1999, he touted the potential of Oregon quarterback Akili Smith to exceed at the professional level. Fans have high hopes for Smith to have a great season this year and to make a big statement in his league (http://www.cfl.ca/).
In 1998, Kiper argued that Ryan Leaf, 2nd overall pick, had an attitude that would be an asset in the NFL. He has since become one of professional football's most notable quarterbacks (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/espn25/story?page=listranker/25biggestflops).
In 2001, Kiper predicted a dismal 0-16 season for the New England Patriots. The team finished slightly better than that prediction, managing to win just one Super Bowl the entire season.[edit (http://www.dickipedia.org/dick.php?title=Mel_Kiper%2C_Jr.&action=edit&section=5)]
Effect on fan culture

Kiper's rapid and notable rise to prominence is directly proportional to the growth of the internet. While pre-internet, sports news consisted merely of the handful of things that could be covered on ESPN and the New York Post, the development of sports websites and the internet's growing popularity led to a heightened demand for constant sports updates, most of which were increasingly irrelevant and served less to advance the sport and entertain fans and more to simply fill up ESPN Insider with content. Kiper was integral in this shift towards totally unnecessary reporting.
Through nonstop comprehensive coverage via articles and elaborate lists and charts, Kiper has managed to make great contributions to the incredible surplus of unimportant sports information on the web. In doing so, he has created a culture of ultra-zealous football fans that, to an uncomfortable degree, track and follow every tidbit of this information. While this development has allowed some fans greater access to information about their favorite players and teams, it has distracted many others from certain basic human activities, such as art, hygiene, and knowing how to talk to people without annoying them.
[edit (http://www.dickipedia.org/dick.php?title=Mel_Kiper%2C_Jr.&action=edit&section=6)]
Hair

While cultural anthropologists have yet to prove that one’s hair is capable of being a dick in and of itself, it is thought that Kiper’s hair will be the first to hold the honor.

Dickipedia.org Home (all entries) (http://www.dickipedia.org/dick.php?title=Main_Page)

dbfan21
02-17-2009, 03:09 PM
http://z.about.com/d/tvcomedies/1/0/Y/0/-/-/stewie_evil.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . And it begins ...

:rofl: I just spit Diet Coke on my desk here at work...:thumbs: